Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greenhorns in Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Nigel
Loki reads the messages, and responds:
<<Team Message>>
<<I'll talk to Icelady. I think if she wants us to find out more, our current pay isn't enough. I'm also kind of personally curious about this thing now...>>

He turns to Icelady and says, "We finished the job. However, there are some more links that you may be interested in. There were a couple trolls with...interesting things to say. Very illuminating. So, do you want the info? You'll also probably want us to investigate." Loki explains what they found out, and gives her a bit of further information to make her want to know more. If she does, he says "All right then. How much are you willing to offer? Keep in mind that this is getting more difficult with every turn."
imperialus
"Hey ah, you need some medical help there?" He points to Icelady's wounds "You look like you could do with it.
Icelady winces slightly as she removes an icepack from her cheek. "Naww, it's nothing serious. I'll be fine. My boyfriend before Angel used to do worse."

Sorry to ask you this, but do you know who owns the club Angel was due to perform at? The one we met you in? And don't be afraid to be honest with us.

Ice presses her lips together in thought. "Well Julie, that lady who was managing the bar the night you were there owns the place, but I think she pays protection to someone in the Yakuza... It's not like they're a regular sight there but it is their 'turf'."

Also, do you know someone called Kat Amakura? We heard the name mentioned at Xanadu and wondered if you knew her."
"Kat... Kat... It rings a bell... Hasn't she been on the news as a suspect in some Yakuza linked crimes? Are you saying the Yakuza had something to do with Angel's death?" Ice leans her forhead on the palms of her hands, you hear her muttering, ever so slightly under her breath. Suddenly she sits upright. "Hay Dios MIO! The Yakuza! They killed him!"

It's only then she sees your stunned expressions, she collects herself and tries to explain. "It all makes sense! I can't believe it!... Ok... Back when Angel was alive the biggest thing we used to fight about was his career. I knew he had the talent to be huge, but he never did anything about it. In one of our last fights he told me about his older brother... What was his name... Edward. Angel was an MCT corp brat.

They were gaijin though, and an elves to boot. Tough to make a living at MCT like that. Edward was trying to get a promotion and needed to pledge himself and his family to the Yak's to get support. Angel was pissed the fuck off and ran away. He said he was always frightened of what might happen if he popped back up on the radar. I thought he was full of shit at the time. He used to make up stories about his past. Once, he was a Tir exile, once a former Ancient, all sorts of crap. If that's true though... Then that means it's my fault he's dead. I was the one pushing for this gig, it would have been the biggest he's ever done..."

Loki:
"We finished the job. However, there are some more links that you may be interested in. There were a couple trolls with...interesting things to say. Very illuminating. So, do you want the info? You'll also probably want us to investigate." Loki explains what they found out, and gives her a bit of further information to make her want to know more. If she does, he says "All right then. How much are you willing to offer? Keep in mind that this is getting more difficult with every turn."

Icelady seems quite intrigued.

"You mean there's more? Tell you what... If you tell me what you know, and I'll pay you an extra two grand each... If you end up doing more work, I'll give you an extra eight on top of that once I get the rights to these songs sorted... That means a total of twenty thousand nuyen each. Of course I'll need to confirm the songs on the chip are really the original copies first."
Nigel
"That sounds reasonable. I'm fine with it. And I wouldn't expect pay until you knew they were the real songs," Loki says to Icelady. He tells her the pertinent information, leaving out any theories they have (that can wait).
imperialus
10:45 3rd Jan 2070 --Icelady's Doss, Everett--

As Loki explains what is going on, Ice's eyes get wider by the minute. "So you're saying Angel might be alive? That's amazing! Please, if you can. Get him back. I'll talk to Julie, see if she can help."
Dusty Ghost
"Naww, it's nothing serious. I'll be fine. My boyfriend before Angel used to do worse."

"You mean Dark Angels band's old synth player Razz? Why was he not in the band anymore by the way?"

"Did you get to meet Edward? What did you make of him?"
Mickle5125
Padre stifles a yawn and gives an embarrassed little smile. "My appologies, my friends. It was just a late night last night. However, any information you can give us about Angel's connections to the Yakuza or his brother would be most helpful. I believe I speak for everyone when I say that we'll continue looking into this for you."

He sits back and watches her expectantly, waiting until she starts talking and sends a message to the team.

<<Miss Sybercat, would it be possible to put some sort of tracker on her? If it is, we'll be able to find her, should she choose to back out on the new deal. Either way, we should hand over the music, get money for that completed job, and treat this as a new job.>>
imperialus
<<Good idea Padre. I'll have one of my agents piggyback on the recording chip and we can keep an eye on her that way. Ice here doesn't strike me as the technical type so my agent should go unnoticed.

Sweeps: Icelady nods slightly "Yeah, Razz was a real piece of work. I guess I kinda pulled a Yoko with that one..." she notices your slightly confused expressions "Yoko Ono... Infamous chica, dated the lead singer from the Beatles... Biggest band in the world back in the stone age. People blamed her for the group breaking up... Anyhow. Razz is ancient history. Last I heard he'd flown down the Los Angeles to make a fresh start.

No, I never did meet Edward. Like I said, Angel used to make up all kinds of crazy stories about his past. Until tonight I thought he was just another figment of Angel's imagination, no more real than Hethstar, Angel's former CO in the Ghosts or Ivana, his ex girlfriend from the Ancients."

Sybercat looks up from drumming her fingers on the table and says.
"Ok, Icelady. I think we're all on board for this. We're in agreement on twenty thousand nuyen to further investigate Angel's disappearance and confirm if he is alive or dead. If he is alive, we will attempt to extract him but depending on how he is being held we may require additional funds to cover unforseen expenses."

Sybercat extends her hand and Icelady shakes it.

"So... first order of business. We're going to go set the record straight with these bandmembers. We'll try and get them on your side but if worst comes to worst we'll make it crystal clear that if they want to fuck with you they need to get through us first. After that we'll see if we can't get some feelers into the Yak's and figure out what's really going on here, maybe even use the Yak political crap against them. We'll deal with Edward last. He's likely to cause us the most problems and if we can go to work on him with an ally within the Yak's that would be ideal. In the mean time you talk to Julie, see if she can't offer up any dirt. Be careful though, if she's just forking over a portion to the profits to the Yak's then it's probably safe, but if she's actually in bed with them things might get ugly for you. If you want us to ride shotgun for you when you talk to her just say so.

We'll swing by the Partyzone, but it's not even noon so I doubt there's much going on there right now. After that we'll catch a nap and head back out tonight. Any other suggestions?"

imperialus
12:15 3rd Jan 2070 --Partyzone, South Tacoma--

As Sybercat drives back towards Redmond she detours through the industrial squalor and low rent tenaments that sit on the southern edge of Tacoma. Checking her GPS display she points to an abandoned lot surrounded by crumbling apartment buildings.

"That's the 'partyzone'. Christ... What a dump. Parts of Redmond are nicer than this."

Gang symbols and scorch marks decorate the plascrete and grey brickwork of the surrounding buildings, and crushed cans, ashes, and piles of trash litter the broken asphalt. A gutterpunk in a torn black T-Shirt lies amid the debris, his head resting on a damp garbage bag while a few feral kids seem to have cornered a massive rat, and are jabbing at it with sticks and throwing rocks at it while cheering each other on. A makeshift stage has been constructed at one end of the lot out of rusted girders and other scavanged building materials. A nearby electrical transformer sparks occasionally as cables for illegal power taps snake off in different directions. The kids scatter in different directions as the van pulls into the lot and disappear amongst the alleys leaving a battered but still alive rat to scamper down an open manhole.

After a brief survey Sybercat drives back to the Yellow Brick Road.

"I don't want to spend an hour driving around the city so I hope you don't mind if we all just crash here for a few hours. There are some rooms upstairs that we can use to catch a nap in."

Sybercat pulls into a garage at the back of the YBR. Elfin-Face is in there tinkering with the engine of a vintage Harley Davidson Scorpion while the music of an old school TrogMetal band blasts through the speakers. A handful of younger orks and trolls wearing "Ironside Rockers" colours loiter around the garage drinking. A particularly large troll is sitting against a large tank with an explosive symbol on it smoking a cigarette.
Dusty Ghost
Sweep's jaw drops to the floor at the sight of the Harley.

"Holy Cris...." for some reason he stops mid curse, not sure why. He shakes himself and starts again "Holy Moly! That's one smooth ride! Can't be many of them left! Is it converted? Or does it still run on Gas?"

<<Message to Team>>
<<Ok, I think it goes without saying that before we go up against Kat, or Edward for that matter, we at least need to talk to Usaka.

Padre, you wanna ask our mutual friend to set up the meet. Find out how much it's going to cost and we'll all have to chip in. If that's ok with you guys?
Just make sure he knows that we're not going there for any kind of fight! Just need to ask a few questions to help us.>>
JoelHalpern
12:25 -- the Yellow Brick Road
Mack climbs out of the van, and looks around.
Seeing the Troll smoking, and the beautiful cycle, Mack walks over towards the Troll.

Hello. Is that yours?"
And then, in Orkzit, in case he speaks it It's a nice looking ride.

Mickle5125
12:25 -- the Yellow Brick Road

Padre ponders for a moment, before asking his comrades, "My friends, unless someone has a significant objection, I will try to arrange a meeting with a Senior Lieutenant of Usaka's, instead of going straight for the head honcho himself. It would probably be a little more socially acceptable."

While Padre listens to the ensuing discussion, he sends a message off to Damien.

<<Damien, it appears that a meeting with the Yaks is necessary. How much would it cost to arrange a meeting with A) Jiro, or B) Usaka himself? Also, would you happen to have any information about them? IE: Proper etiquette for the meeting, what they want/need, what gifts would be acceptable, etc.

Thank you very much for your assistance, my friend, and I will be sure to compensate you for your time.>>
imperialus
"Holy Cris...." for some reason he stops mid curse, not sure why. He shakes himself and starts again "Holy Moly! That's one smooth ride! Can't be many of them left! Is it converted? Or does it still run on Gas?"
Elfin-Face nods "Batteries and Fuel Cells are fine for crotch rockets and civi-cars. But you will never get the kind of power out of them that a good gas engine will give you.

Hello. Is that yours?"
And then, in Orkzit, in case he speaks it It's a nice looking ride.
The troll nods and grins answering in a sort of bastardized Orkzit known as 'sprawlork' common among gangers who can't actually be bothered to learn the language properly. "Yah. it wuz Face's. Sold er ta me bout five yars bak. Best ride I evar had. Costs a shitload to keep er runnin' though"

<<Damien, it appears that a meeting with the Yaks is necessary. How much would it cost to arrange a meeting with A) Jiro, or B) Usaka himself? Also, would you happen to have any information about them? IE: Proper etiquette for the meeting, what they want/need, what gifts would be acceptable, etc.

Thank you very much for your assistance, my friend, and I will be sure to compensate you for your time.>>
After about an hour you comlink buzzes with Damien's reply. <<What is it you need to know? Is this about that Dark Angel thing? If so you probably want to set up a meet with Usaka, not Jiro. Jiro's basically a smuggler, not someone who's going to know much about any kidnappings. I'm not sure how much this meet will cost. Tell you what. Give me 500 up front to grease some wheels then I'll get the rest later. What's your limit for this?

As for etiquette... well... that's tough... The Japs are a touchy bunch, the Yaks even moreso. Don't bring a gift unless you're willing to spend serious coin on it, a thousand nuyen at least. If you bring cheap crap you'll insult him. If you do want to bring something then a good bottle of Sake or a Banzai tree would be acceptable. He should be OK if there are orks or trolls in your crew... Always wait for him to speak first... He'll tell you when you're allowed to ask questions. Don't be bothered by long silences. Look him in the eye but don't stare. Call him Usaka-San unless he says to call him otherwise... Never turn down anything he offers... That's all I can think of for now.>>

20:25 3rd Jan 2070 --Partyzone, South Tacoma--

After a few hours sleep everyone takes the opportunity to dress down. Based on what you've heard about the partyzone it seems like the sort of place that folks will knife you for a decent pair of shoes. Sybercat is in the garage pouring gasoline into the tank of a battered old panel van covered in rust and spraypaint. The windshield has been knocked out and replaced with a steel grate. When she hears you approach she turns and says "It's a piece of shit and I hate driving this beast but I'd rather the gutter trash get their hands on this than my bulldog.

Well the place is sure different than when you were here last. Strains of street punk (link) shake the tenements and rumble across the pavement surrounding the vacant lot. You see why it's called the partyzone now. The chrome studs of leather jackets flash yellow under the streetlights as orks, gangbangers, and elf poseurs mix freely with other sprawl dwellers moving to the angry beat of Seattle's street musicians. The music swells and falls, it's aggressive chords rippling the crowd like a single organism. Judging by the variety of colours you see it looks like the partyzone is largely neutral ground for the gangs and other than a fistfight in progress the show looks pretty peaceful (so far). The graffiti suggests that the turf 'belongs' to a crew called "The Fallen Heroes" and indeed it looks like there are a disproportionate number of thugs wearing their colours. In fact there are a few of them moving over towards the fight now brandishing clubs.

Looking at the band it's pretty obvious that they aren't Angel's crew. None of them match the description that Icelady gave you. Unfortunatly given the size of the crowd it looks like it might be pretty tough to pick them out by sight. You might need to ask around a bit.
Mickle5125
20:25 3rd Jan 2070 --Partyzone, South Tacoma--

Once Padre gets into the van, he turns to the others and gestures towards his comlink. "Well, comrades, it's going to cost us 500 up front to get the meeting with the Yaks. What's the limit we want to spend to get the meeting? Also, we got some advice on how to act, which should be helpful."

Padre quickly lets them know what Damien had to say about etiquette. "So, do we want to cough up the extra cash to get a gift for Usaka?"

Once the group reaches a consensus about the amounts they're willing to spend, Padre sends a message off to Damien, letting him know about their decision and wires 500 nuyen.gif to him. He then spends the rest of the ride typing notes into his comlink and muttering to himself.

Upon arrival at partyzone, Padre begins searching the crowd for any familiar faces.

[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
After a few minutes searching you ask one of the members of the Fallen Heroes who is sitting on a lawn chair with his feet propped against a keg where you might be able to find the band.

Angels crew? Yeah... they usually hang near the stage... off to the right.

After a few more minutes of pushing through the crowd you catch a glimpse of a man with dreadlocks reaching his waist. That's what Icelady said Drew looked like and their can't be too many people around here with hair like that. He's sitting on an amp talking with an elf wearing torn jeans and a heavy leather jacket emblazoned with a "Thundering Herd" logo. That must be Bryan. He has a flask of something in one hand that he takes occasional swigs from grimacing after each one and a cigarette in his other. Neither of them seem to have noticed you out of the crowd.
Dusty Ghost
<<Team Message>>
<<Hey guys, keep you weapons on show, but try to play nice with these guys. Last thing we need is to start a rumble here.

Also, keep your eyes on the crowds. See if anyone is taking an interest in us talking to these guys.>>

Sweeps nudges Sybercat in the ribs,

"Hey, do dreadlocks or drunks do it for ya?" He grinds from ear to ear.

As they get closer Sweeps taps Drew on the shoulder.

"Hey buddy, got some questions to ask ya. If you ain't too busy that is." He nods to Bryan's flask.

"Don't worry, we don't want any trouble, just need to clear a few things up

First, I wanted to know what you can tell me about your friend Dark Angel."
Sweeps play acts stooping and thinking "Oh yeah! urm... sorry for your loss!

Anyway, was he the type of guy to go off the rails like that. Also, did you know that your lead singer was in with the...?"
Sweeps looks around theatrically, then whispers "... Yaks?"

"Also, what gives with him suddenly giving his or rather the bands music over to Dynamo Blue? Do you know her by the way? Nice lady I bet. Giving a good cut of the money is she? From what I hear she won't even give his Girlfreind any money!"

Sweeps steps back a bit to see the reaction.
imperialus
QUOTE (Dusty Ghost @ Jul 7 2008, 03:18 AM) *
As they get closer Sweeps taps Drew on the shoulder.

"Hey buddy, got some questions to ask ya. If you ain't too busy that is." He nods to Bryan's flask.
Bryan screws the top back on his flask and grunts, you assume that probably means "go ahead"

"Don't worry, we don't want any trouble, just need to clear a few things up

First, I wanted to know what you can tell me about your friend Dark Angel."
Sweeps play acts stooping and thinking "Oh yeah! urm... sorry for your loss!

Anyway, was he the type of guy to go off the rails like that. Also, did you know that your lead singer was in with the...?"
Sweeps looks around theatrically, then whispers "... Yaks?"
Bryan's eyes narrow menacingly he speaks in a gravely alcohol slurred voice. "Did that bitch Ice send you? Tell the slitch that we know she had him killed to get the recordings. She better fucking skip town or next time she's gonna have a lot more than a black eye to worry about. I swear to fuck next time I'm gonna..."

Drew holds a hand cutting Bryan off. "Cool it Bryan. Don't start shit if you can't finish it." he looks pointedly in the direction of Mack and Hex standing with their arms crossed behind Sweeps. "Now what's this shit about the Yaks? You know somethin we don't?"

"Also, what gives with him suddenly giving his or rather the bands music over to Dynamo Blue? Do you know her by the way? Nice lady I bet. Giving a good cut of the money is she? From what I hear she won't even give his Girlfreind any money!"
At that Bryce throws his flask to the ground, it bounces off into the crowd. "That's fucking BULLSHIT and you know it. ICE fucking killed him, and we can prove it too! That Dynamo bitch is working for her." he fumbles around in his jacket. Everyone tenses up, worried he might pull a gun but instead he produces a datachip that he waves victoriously in your face. "THIS! This proves it all! Ice got a fucking mint from Dynamo after Angel got geeked, she's just actin' like she all poor tryen to lay low and shit.' Bryce is right up in your face now. You can smell the reek of cheep synthohol on his breath and if his mouth opens any wider you might be able to start counting cavities.

Drew has backed off to one side his hands half raised. "BRYCE! Fucking COOL IT! You want that trog to fuck you up?!" At that Bryce seems to come to his senses and backs away from Sweeps.
JoelHalpern
20:30 3rd Jan 2070 --Partyzone, South Tacoma--

"Bryce? Is that the name you use? Slow down before I have to stop you.
Now listen. Who gave you that chip? Did they say they were a friend? I doubt they are. I doubt it very much."

Mack takes one of his knives out and starts picking at his nails.

"Friends do not hand you fake junk and encourage you to beat folks up over nothing.
Yes, we know some things.
And no, I don't think it would be a good idea to tell you.
You seem to be even more stupid than I am.
Among other things, we KNOW that Ice Lady did not 'ice' DA."

Mack gives Bryce a hard look.

"So who gave you the junk there?"

/OOC Note, no Mack does not have any initimdation skill. I'll probably buy one level soon. But between Sweeps and the bandmates, the scene just seemed right...
Mickle5125
Padre rolls his eyes and and mutters under his breathe, "Subtlety, thy name is Sweeps..."

He steps forward and raises his hands in a calming gesture. "Gentlemen, gentlemen. Let's stay calm about this, shall we? Listen, why don't we find some place private to discuss this like proper gentlemen. I promise you that we merely wish to talk to you in order to clear up some issues in this whole mess. You have my word that you will not be harmed... assuming, of course, that you're able to remain civil. What do you say? Gather the rest of the band and we'll even allow you to choose a location. How does that sound?"

[ Spoiler ]

Dusty Ghost
Padre rolls his eyes and and mutters under his breathe, "Subtlety, thy name is Sweeps..."
Sweeps grins from ear to ear.

He sniffs the datachip being waved under his nose and pulls a 'Smells like shit' look on his face.

"You might wanna take my preist friend up on his offer." He winks at Bryce.
imperialus
Drew glances at Bryce before slowly nodding.

"Ok... we'll listen to what you have to say. Bryce, why don't you go grab Sheera and we'll go talk by the van ok."

Drew leads you away from the crowd towards a quiet section of the lot where a few vehicles are parked. While on the way he says

"Sorry about Bryce... He took Angels death hard, they were like brothers. He's hardly been able to crawl out of the bottle long enough to play a set over the past few weeks. Then Sheera started whispering all sorts of shit in his ear about Ice... Then we found that chip. With Angel dead we're going nowhere fast and I think he knows that, even if he won't admit it... Scares him... Scares me too for that matter but he shrugs we're just a pack of gutter punks who happen to know how to play a few chords, what are we gonna do about it. Sheera and Ice have hated each other since they met. Bryce and I used to stay out of it, wasn't none of our business, but with Angel dead he's ended up on Sheera's side. Personally I think Sheera's always had a thing for Angel, she blamed Ice for it never working out between them."

After a minute or two Bryce shows up with a raven haired amerindian woman in tow. Padre and Loki, you notice she's astrally active but not too powerful. She looks at you and sneers. "So the bitch hired herself some muscle? I'm surprised you fuckers didn't just frag us to keep our mouths shut."

Drew makes a calming gesture. "Listen Sheera, like I said to Bryce, lets not start shit we can't finish. Besides they say they know something about Angel's death. I want to hear them out. So... what's the story?"
Dusty Ghost
"Easy sister.... ah.... Sheers right? Listen, we're not here as muscle..." Sweeps flexes one skinny bicep and grins "We just here to talk. It sounds like you and us have the same goal here. Find out what happened to Angel. You're doing it 'cause you care. We're doing it for cash. Either way, this case is close to our hearts for some reason or another.

So here's the deal. Icelady is one connection to all of this, weather she was framed, or weather she nuked your friend, we have to keep her alive until we find out what's been going on. As I said before, there is a strong possibility that the Yaks are in this somewhere, don't ask us how I know that, we just know! I know they have a bad habit of beheading people they don't like. That makes this VERY dangerous ground for you, so I'd advise doing nothing until we finish our investigation! For your own sakes. If it turns out she's guilty after all, we'll drop her right here for you to do what you want with. But you'll do nothing until we have proof of her innocence or guilt! Clear?

So do us and you a favour, help us out with a couple of questions, then just sit tight and let us do our job. OK?

Oh! and so you know, not that you'll believe me, but that data you have is fake. We're good at what we do, and we have one of the best data experts here to prove that data is fake."
He waves a hand at Sybercat, hoping she'll take a bow or something.

"Ok so lets, stop with fucking around and work together eh?" He winks

"OK, first of all, what can you tell us about Angels behaviour before he got dead?"
"Second, do you know someone called Edward Crull?"
"Third Put your feelings for Ice aside a second and tell us how the relationship between her and Angel seemed to be."
"Did you notice anything else out of place leading up to Angels death?"
"Have you noticed anything strange since he died."
[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
QUOTE (Dusty Ghost @ Jul 9 2008, 02:42 AM) *
"Easy sister.... ah.... Sheers right? Listen, we're not here as muscle..." Sweeps flexes one skinny bicep and grins
Sheera sneers slightly "My name is Sheera you scrawny asshole."

"We just here to talk. It sounds like you and us have the same goal here. Find out what happened to Angel. You're doing it 'cause you care. We're doing it for cash. Either way, this case is close to our hearts for some reason or another.

So here's the deal. Icelady is one connection to all of this, weather she was framed, or weather she nuked your friend, we have to keep her alive until we find out what's been going on. As I said before, there is a strong possibility that the Yaks are in this somewhere, don't ask us how I know that, we just know! I know they have a bad habit of beheading people they don't like. That makes this VERY dangerous ground for you, so I'd advise doing nothing until we finish our investigation! For your own sakes. If it turns out she's guilty after all, we'll drop her right here for you to do what you want with. But you'll do nothing until we have proof of her innocence or guilt! Clear?

So do us and you a favour, help us out with a couple of questions, then just sit tight and let us do our job. OK?

Bryce lights another cigarette and leans against a parked car. "Fuck the Yak's. What the fuck would they want to do with Angel?"

Oh! and so you know, not that you'll believe me, but that data you have is fake. We're good at what we do, and we have one of the best data experts here to prove that data is fake." He waves a hand at Sybercat, hoping she'll take a bow or something.
Sybercat nods slightly and explains briefly about what she found wrong with the chip. Sheera cocks an eyebrow and says. "Yeah, just keep fucking talking like I'm a moron. Why the hell should I take you're word that the chip is fragged? You work for the bitch, of course you want us to think she's clean as a ghouls shit-shack."

"Ok so lets, stop with fucking around and work together eh?" He winks

"OK, first of all, what can you tell us about Angels behaviour before he got dead?"
"Second, do you know someone called Edward Crull?"
"Third Put your feelings for Ice aside..."

You don't even finish asking your questions before Bryce takes a long drag from his cigarette turns, and blows the smoke directly into Sweeps face. "If you think we're gonna tell you shit all you're stupider than that trog standing behind you. Get the fuck out of here before I get the crew that runs this place to fucking eject you. Tell the bitch she has two weeks to be out of town or it's open fucking season on two bit Talismongers who kill our friends."

A message comes up over the team comm from Sybercat <<I'm thinking we should probably leave. I'm not all that keen on fighting a mob myself, and this twit did just say we have two weeks before they're going to do anything else. That'll give us some time to figure out what the hell's actually happened to Angel. Maybe we should put Ice up somewhere safer than her doss though.>>
Dusty Ghost
Sweeps forces himself not to choke on the smoke, never taking his eyes off Bryce. He grins an evil grin, but inside he's quickly starting to feel stupid!

Nice one Sweeps, way to go!

<<Message to team>>
<<Sorry guys, it was me that pushed us to come here, and we ended up wasting time. I guess next time someone else can do the talking. Sweeps just ain't a people person.

Let's go buy a fucking bonsai for that Yak boss and wait for the call. Unless we wanna go amuse ourselves with Edward? It's your call.>>

With that he gave Bryce and his crew one last ironic look, and stormed back to the van.

"Dumb fucking assholes!" he mutters under his breath.

When back at the van, Sweeps starts wondering if his part in this mission could get any worse. First the messy shots at Heaven, then the hatchet job on Loki and his injuries, then the sloppy work at Xanadu, finally been shown up by a bunch of fucking rock hippies. Anger starts to take hold. Outwardly, Sweeps has a look of thunder on his face, his usual cockiness almost totally gone.

He knew himself well enough to know he'd be back to normal in a couple of hours, but right now, with his pride dented, his ego blasted, his reputation was all he could think about. Should have just stuck to robbing low level corp assholes, he thinks bitterly
imperialus
21:10 3rd Jan 2070 --Sybercats Van, South Tacoma en-route to Redmond--
As the van drives through Seattle's darkened streets Sybercat turns to a rather dejected looking Sweeps and says. "Sweeps man... You did good back there. Sometimes meets just go bad. It could have ended up a lot worse. No one got killed after all. Too bad we couldn't have counted on Drew more. Tell you what, why don't you message Ice, tell her they were a bunch of drekstains and suggest that she find a motel to stay at for a few days. She knew the stakes when she got into this. If we find Angel alive he'll be able to clear the air."

Padre: Damian messages you back. <<Hey Father. I've got good news and bad news... well not so much bad news as inconvenient news. Good news is, I managed to get you a meet with Usaka. Bad news is, it's in 5 hours, right after "last call" at the Mindwarp. That doesn't give us much time to get you and your crew ready.

Tell you what, meet me at the south entrance to the Plastic Jungle. I woke a friend of mine up, she's gonna help us pick out a proper gift. Just to warn you though she's a little... eccentric. She's a she's the shaman of a low tech tribe... Listen at the end of the day, this is gonna end up costing you 1500 on top of the 500 you already gave me. That won't include whatever Alandra wants for her tree though. I'll be there in 20 minutes.>>

As you mention this to Sybercat she says "Cool. I haven't been to the jungle in years. Dad used to take me there sometimes when I was a kid. It's nice to smell things growing. It got me used to the feeling of silence... She pulls the van off at the next interchange and begins driving an unfamiliar route through Redmond bypassing the Yellow Brick Road. As she winds through what was once a high tech industrial park a pack of Elf and Human go gangers race around the Van looking to score an easy mark. They seem to decide that you are anything but easy and peel off into the darkness as Mack slides open the door and scowls at them while resting his machine gun across his knees.

21:30 3rd Jan 2070 --The Plastic Jungle, Redmond Seattle--

After a few more moments you enter a slightly grassy area with several low glass domes surrounded by a canopy of more primitive looking tarps and clear plastic domes sitting in the middle. Sybercat pulls the van into the dirt parking lot that doubles as a food market during the day. You see several tribal warriors who are aparently serving as a welcoming comity. Despite being dressed in roughspun cotton garmets, bodyarmour scavanged from pieces of srap and carrying few guns they nonetheless look to be experts in the use of the bows, crossbows and spears that they are armed with. One troll in particular who's hanging to the back has a massive composite longbow over 8 feet long. There's apparently a reason these folks have managed to survive in the middle of the barrens for so long.

A particularly savage looking elf with long dark braided hair and a brown robe, armed with nothing more than a stick emerges into the circle of light cast by the vans headlights. She's astrally active and very powerful. She leans forward as if looking at you and speaks with a strong Irish lilt. "You be ta' Priest that is here ta' be meet'n wit Damian? If so, my name be Alandra, and I extend the welcome the 'Low Tech' tribe to ya. Be leavin' your machines and your guns in ta van. They'll be safe, do not worry." As you begin piling out of the van she cocks her head at you and says. "I mean your computers too... Turn them off, and leave them here." As you remove your comlinks and turn them off it strikes you how odd it is to be wandering around without your PAN. Glancing over at Sybercat you see her doing a series of breathing exercises before opening her eyes looking strangely composed. The strange woman leads you towards the outskirts of the jungle where you find Damian/Gap-Tooth waiting for you. The normally grubby Ork is wearing a neat dark suit.

"I see you've met Alandra. Come on, lets get going. We're going to have to get you all cleaned up before this meet."

As you begin walking through the strange darkened domes you begin hearing strange music piped though speakers all around you. Noticing your slightly odd expressions Alandra says "The plants like it... It helps them grow... Ahh, here we are." She pushes open a door and turns on the lights. A collection of lovingly tended banzai trees appear under the flickering florescent bulbs. She closes her eyes and begins walking among the plants, brushing their leaves with her fingertips. "Ahh! Here we are..." She selects a plant from the collection and turns to you, holding the pot in both hands. "This one wants to come with you... As for price... I will require 2000 nuyen.gif... Of course, if you'd rather not pay... We occasionally have need for those familiar with the world outside these domes. You may take this tonight... upon the promise that should I require a favor in the future you will be willing to undertake a small task for me."
Nigel
As Loki walks through the plants, he stays withdrawn and sullen. "Fine, we'll take the plant. Let's just get out of here...it's creeping me the fuck out. No buildings. I can't imagine Syber's doing much better. Though I must say those Bonsai are excellent..." he says to Alandra. "I'll do the favor, just try and not make it too life-threatening, if you'd mind."

Loki takes the plant and begins leaving. "Well? Let's go! Unless you want to go tribal, that is..."
Dusty Ghost
Sweeps looks around the place one last time. Something about the non-modern lifestyle he found profoundly appealing. But at the same time, he found it a little pointless. In this day and age it seemed a little stubborn for anyone to try and cut themselves away from the modern world. But hey! Each to their own.

He felt mildly guilty for Loki taking the burden of the debt on his own.

When they get back to the Van and they turn their coms back on:

<<Message to Loki, CC rest of team>>
<<Hey buddy, if you get called up for this favor and need a hand, you let old Sweeps know. Hate to think you'll end up doing something not at all nice, just because we needed a stupid pot plant.>>
Nigel
As soon as Loki is out of the dome and has his commlink back on, he is much less agitated.

<<Message from Sweeps>>
<<Thanks for the offer. If they call me in for something too big, I may just have to take you up on that...but I'll try and not. Not your fault I reacted like that. It's just between the way I was raised and what I've spent my life trying to do, it just grated on me in the wrong way. I'm okay now, though.>>

<<Team Message>>
<<Hey guys, sorry for reacting in there like that. I just really don't like the feeling of not having a PAN, or anything nearby. Plus the dirt.>>
imperialus
01:05 4th Jan 2070 --Sybercats Van, En Route to Mindwarp, Downtown Seattle--

As Sybercat reactivates her comlink she sighs like an addict taking that first hit of the morning.

<<No worries Loki, we got the goods, that's all that matters. Gimme a shout when the Low-Techs all you up for a favor though. Nine times out of ten it has something to do with matrix shit.>>

The next few hours pass in a blur as you drive through the darkened Seattle streets following the now familiar route to everyone's squat so that you can change.

Eventually the van makes its way to "Electric Avenue" the nightclub district of downtown. High end clubs flash neon into the street and the van slows to a crawl as it weaves in and out amongst the heavy foot traffic as clubbers hop from line to line hoping to find a place that isn't filled to capacity. Plastic bodies and impossibly youthful sculpted faces stare vacantly at the vans darkened windows while Orks and Trolls gene-modded to impossible size stand sentinel behind velvet ropes. This is how the other half lives.

Even your spam filter is overwhelmed by curious onlookers querying your persona, everyone receives at least a few invitations for one night stands.

Sybercat eventually pulls the van into a guarded parking lot and everyone piles out. Across the street a massive AR sign reads "MINDWARP". A line stretches around the corner but Damian walks confidently to the front and gives the troll at the door a small bow and AR handshake at which point he waves you through as the hopefuls still standing in line groan and curse.

Inside, you find yourself awash in a sea of color, surrounded by six enormous vid screens that serve as walls, floor and ceiling. The translucent panels vibrate to the latest pop track to come out of Japan and repeat patterns of garish, undulating waves, blinking checkerboards, bouncing balls, whirlpools and sunbursts.

In AR the scene is almost as vibrant. The patrons dance across the floor like whirling dervishes, their elaborately constructed avatars, everything from angels and demons to anime characters mirror their every move. A massive chatroom is taking up a corner of the dance floor, text flying through your ARO almost too fast to read.

Other patrons sit limply at the bar, apparently overwhelmed by the Mindwarp... It almost seems like it would be a good idea to join them.

Padre and Loki: Garish colours of pure emotion pulsate around the dancers, fading to grey around the exhausted patrons at the bar. Several drinkers seem nearly dead, displaying only the muted tones of barely felt emotions around their heads. The astral security is obvious: A large bright-orange fire elemental flickers over the crowded dancefloor.

Damian comes over the team comlink

<<You folks wait here. Have a drink. I'm going to go let Usaka know you've arrived.>>

At that he begins pushing towards the back of the club towards an enclosed loft with a two way mirror that shadows half the dance floor, serving a as a club within a club that is only open to a select few. A troll dressed in a suit that probably cost more than you look to make on this run stands near the elevator that carries lucky patrons to the overhead chamber, scrutinizing Damian as he approaches. They speak for a moment at which point he calls the elevator and returns to doing his impersonation of a statue.
Nigel
<<I'll do that. I'm terrible with the Matrix. Thanks.>>

"Mindwarp. I've heard of this place, but never bothered going. Doesn't seem my style. Too garish, and has the wrong sort of people for me. They do have a good reputation for drinks, though." Loki says to whichever party member is nearest.

Loki motions for the bartender, and says "Give me a Lark's Tropical Heaven, and make it real."

<<Well, he said have a drink. This place is a good spot for them. Drink up, just don't get drunk - as I'm sure you all knew.>>
JoelHalpern
0115 4th January 2070 -- Mindwarp, downtown Seatttle --

Mack looks around, slightly bemused.
Surprising. The music isn't even half bad. And Loki says the drinks are good.

Turning to the bar, Mack waits until the bartender looks at him.
I have heard of a mix called a Scorpion's Tail. Can you build oner?

(If the bartender looks at him oddly and seems reluctant, Mack will ask So what can you recommend? Not too subtle, but not a shot to the top of the head, if that makes any sense?)

When he gets his drink, Mack will take one large drink off the top to enjoy the drink, and then sip it while looking around the room. Even if we end up waiting an hour, the one drink ought to last.
Dusty Ghost
Sweeps looks around with the biggest grin he's had all day.

Feeling allot better he offers the rest of the team a very pleased look. Sweeps loves the music and the whole atmosphere of the place. Hanging around in joints like this has given him some of his best targets in the past.

He leans over to the bartender, when Mack and Loki have go their drinks, and asks for a Bourbon whiskey, neat, on the rocks.

He then spends the waiting time chatting with the team and looking around the place to see what kind of clientele are in tonight.
Mickle5125
Padre winces slightly and cranks back his AR feed considerably before leaning over and muttering to his team mates, "do not start anything, my friends. As tough as the bouncers are, the astral security is tougher."

He listened to the others ordering drinks and frowns slightly. Alcohol and business should never be mixed... Best that I avoid taking risks.

He makes his way to the bar and asks for a grape zest, explaining to the bartender exactly what it is if he's uncertain. He sips at it as he looks over the crowd, looking for the quickest and easiest escape routes in case things go sour in the meeting. He also takes a moment to send a quick text message to the others.

<<My friends, due to the potentially high risk nature of this meeting, perhaps it would be wise to limit the number of people talking in this meeting. I propose that, unless someone is specifically questioned, Loki or I do most of the talking. Does everyone agree, or are there legitimate reasons to use another plan?>>
JoelHalpern
Mack sends back <<Makes sense to me Padre.>>
Nigel
<<Yeah, sounds good. I know a little bit about Japanese culture, myself. Not much but hopefully enough to avoid pissing off the Yaks too bad.>>
imperialus
01:30 4th January 2070 -- Mindwarp, downtown Seattle --

Sitting at the bar is a somewhat surreal experience. It's a circular bar placed in the middle of the club so you are surrounded on all sides by the dance floor. A small stage is in the middle of the bar with go-go dancers showing off their stuff.

A young Asian man takes your drink orders and auto debits your PAN's. When you see the price for a single drink it becomes clear that getting drunk here would quickly get you evicted. Nonetheless the bartender seems to have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of drinks. Mack's Scorpion tail doesn't even warrant a raised eyebrow as he mixes a high end rum, straight from the Carib League with the various juices. Not a drop of soy is in sight.

After cooling your heels for about half an hour a suited Japanese man comes down from the elevator and approaches you at the bar. "You are here with Damian are you not? Please, come with me."

He leads you back towards the elevator, passes the bouncer with a nod and escorts you up. As the doors open to a smaller, more intimate club separate from the frantic energy downstairs. A more sedate song is playing at a more reasonable volume over the speakers, muted enough that people can talk over it. If the men and women below were sculpted out of plastic, then the patrons of the upper lounge are sculpted from marble. Impossibly perfect lips sip drinks from inhuman hands. Everyone in the club is wearing the latest fashion designs from Tokyo, the stylishly angular cuts and stiff lines make you seem completely underdressed in your best clothing. A handful of beetle-browed Japanese men sip drinks in the corners, as if to provide contrast with the genetically enhanced beauties at the bar. The smell of expensive perfume, and even more expensive cigars fills the room. Damian is sitting at the bar, he waves slighly as you are led past him. <<Remember to bow, and graciously accept anything he offers. I think you're going in with your right foot forward though. He said he liked the gift and that he appreciated you taking the time to set up a proper meeting rather than just bribing the bouncer downstairs.>>

Rice-Paper walls divide the loft into several semi-private alcoves. Your escort leads you towards the largest. It contains a dais dupporting a small couch where a balding Japanese man in his late 30's reclines. Two women, as striking as any in the loft, nestle under his outstretched armes and toy with the folds of his suit. Two trolls in dark suits flank this throne. Unlike the others in the loft the two trolls are dressed in short sleeves showing off the full tattoo sleeves that suggest they are working on a full Irezumi. Menacing looking SMGs hang from slings around their shoulders. The Banzai tree you brought is sitting on a small table to his side. The whole club has been quite impressive, especially since according to Damian Usaka is the weakest of the three Oyabun.

Usaka returns your bows with a noticeable head nod. "Good evening. Please, sit. Can I offer you a drink, or perhaps a cigar?" he gestures first towards a number of low chairs and a member of the waitstaff who is setting up a larger chair that will comfortably seat Mack. As he gestures you notice that his left hand is missing its last knuckle. There is also a small wetbar set in the wall that your escort is standing beside pouring a small tumbler of an amber liquid that he sets on the table beside Usaka. Usaka then engages everyone in a few minutes of small talk. Unfortunatly there is no way to remain silent. He does drop a rather interesting tidbit as he levels his gaze on Sybercat however. "I know your fixer by reputation, but have never met him personally... A dangerous man, not one to anger. He was well positioned to profit from the Vory's rise to power in Seattle... At any rate... I'm sure you didn't go to all this trouble simply to drink my scotch. Hou-Jin was not terribly forthcoming about the reason for your visit. Perhaps it is time you enlighten me."
Nigel
Loki bows respectfully to Usaka. In Japanese, he accepts a drink and cigar and thanks Usaka. He, along with other people filling in details, explains what they're doing here and what they want.

[ Spoiler ]
JoelHalpern
Mack does his best to be respectful. He accepts a drink, but not a cigar (he would probably choke badly, never having smoked one, if he tried the cigar.)

Etiquette test to try to respond to the Oyabun's conversation:
[ Spoiler ]

Dusty Ghost
Sweeps stays unobtrusively at the back of the crowd.

He's VERY please with himself for not taking any Jazz before this meet. He's nervous enough already being in the presence of such a powerful man the Jazz would have made it 1000 times worse.

Padre was VERY correct in saying he or Loki should do the talking. Seeing Loki work, Sweeps couldn't help feeling just a little bit envious. He got all the body language right, and the way he spoke was both direct and respectful. Sweeps suddenly found himself VERY relieved Loki was in their team.

He tried to learn what was to be said at what time, and how to show the proper respect. If he is addressed Sweeps does his best to let Loki take the lead.
[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
As you finish your explanation Usaka leans back on his couch and takes a long drag from his cigar while staring pensively into space. After a moment he nudges the girls on his lap and says in Japanese. "My dears, could you excuse us for a moment. Why don't you go to the bar." After the girls leave your escort follows them, turns and bows to Usaka and pulls the screen door shut. It's obviously better insulated than it appears as the music and conversation from the rest of the loft abruptly cuts off.

Usaka drains his glass and gets to his feet walking over to the bar to refill it. "I must say, you have put forward an interesting proposition... I believe it may be mutually beneficial as I am unable to act directly against Miss Amakura right now. Before I agree to anything however I must first make one thing perfectly clear. I do not know you, and have never met you before. I am not prepared to commit mysefl to helping you except in the most superficial manner. I will not aid you in a manner that may connect us... However should you be successful in destroying her, I can protect you from any... repercussions.

A condition of my aid however is that you agree to take one of my men onto your team. I require someone I can trust completely on this... You do not need to worry about compensating him. I will take care of that, and I believe you might find his skills useful. Perhaps particularly so if you intend to go after this 'Angel's' brother as my man has had extensive experience with MCT's security forces."
He pauses for a moment, just long enough for you to begin wondering if you are supposed to answer.

"There is of course a catch... There is always a catch is there not? Should you fail to eliminate Miss Amakura then I'm afraid I will be forced to deny having ever met you, perhaps even aid in hunting you down. I cannot allow a batch of runners who just showed up for amateur night to ruin my standing within my organization. Are we in agreement?" At that he returns to his couch and sits, leaning forwards on it his forearms resting on his knees and waits for a response.
Dusty Ghost
It took all of Sweep's control to stop his jaw actively hitting the floor. How did Usaka do that? One minute we are asking for information, the next we are out to restructure the local Yak hierarchy. Not to mention having a Yak on the team!

A VERY clever man this Usaka. Sweeps could see why he was in power here. Despite the shock he held quite allot of admiration for the man.

Sweeps could also see that Usaka was a man of his word.

He decided not to use his com here, just in case.

Instead he looked around at the others to see their reactions to this proposal and waited.
imperialus
02:10 4th January 2070 Takashi's Doss, Seattle

The incessant chirping of your comlink invades your sleep. Bleary eyed you look at the display, telling you that you have an incoming text message flagged urgent.

<<Takashi San:

Usaka San requests your presence at the Mindwarp at 10 am January 4th. Please arrive on time.>>
Nigel
"Of course, Usaka-san. We will take care of Miss Amakura for you. And I would not expect you to put your standing at any risk for us - a man of your power could not get there by making mistakes or showing weakness. And of course we would be honored to have one of your trusted men accompany us." Loki says to Usaka. "May we meet him beforehand?"
Intro
02:11 4-January 2070

Takashi's eyes widened as he looked at his commlink. This could be my chance, he thought. He had been given a few assignments since being contacted by Anguirus and having his first meeting with the oyabun, simple collections and courier runs, but nothing significant - nothing that could not be done by any average Yakuza member.

But those had all been scheduled during the day, with less. And they hadn't included a meeting with Usaka. The fact that this meeting was set so late, and that the meeting was so soon, suggested that it was something outside the course of normal Yakuza operations. And if he'd been chosen for it by Usaka himself, it meant he might finally have a chance to start amassing the capital - human, financial, and otherwise - that he needed to find out what had gone wrong on that last mission.

But in any case, he still had several hours left in which to sleep, and it would not do to show up for this important meeting at anything but his best.
imperialus
01:50 4th January 2070 -- Mindwarp, downtown Seattle --

Main Group: Usaka lets out a ghost of a smile. "We will toast to the demise of Miss Amakura then. Please I invite you to stay. Enjoy the drinks. It is on the house." You had hoped that you could avoid being manipulated into Yak politics but it looks like they might be taking you along for the ride anyhow.

After spending a few minutes in the bar with Damian until he deems it is polite to leave your escort from earlier catches up with you on your way out.

"Usaka San would like you to return tomorrow morning at eleven to meet his associate."

After doing her usual drive around the city Sybercat drops everyone off. "Well this is getting interesting. I wonder what we're getting into? You guys sure know how to up the ante. Even if we don't make a dime taking Kat out we'll have a powerful ally in the Yaks. My father worked with Usaka once during the Mob war back when he was a just a gunner with something to prove. Said he was an honorable man who remembers his friends... and apparently enemies. Still though, she needs to remain a target of opportunity. Our first job is rescuing Angel. "

09:30 4th January 2070 --Takashi's Doss--

Takashi: Leaving to the meet you collect your belongings and race off through the morning traffic to the Mindwarp. Usaka's pet wizard Kojika greets you at the door. He escorts you upstairs and takes you to an alcove containing a table long enough to seat a dozen or more. Nodding silently at one of the empty cushions Kojika turns and leaves. You spend a few minutes in complete silence, a small security drone watches your every move however so you attempt to remain as composed as possible.

You hear the screen door slide open behind you and Usaka walks in and seats himself across the table from you. A dark suited member of his personal bodyguard remains standing, hovering at his shoulder. A young woman, dressed in a traditional geisha uniform follows, bringing a pot of tea with her which she pours into china cups. You find yourself breathing the tiniest sigh of relief. At least you don't need to try and remember the steps of a tea ceremony. After draining his cup Usaka stares evenly into your eyes and says.

"I understand you are looking for an opportunity to advance. I believe that just such an opportunity may have come up that would suit your capabilities. A group of runners, working what apparently began as a murder investigation have gotten themselves into a position where they may be able to strike at Onisan Amakura.

As you know Homatsu Jinjiro negotiated a peace between our predecessors during the last war between us and the Mafia. That peace still holds, but what most do not know is that she has been eroding my power ever since. She is better at indirect skirmishing than I am so it is time to up the ante. I have promised these runners my protection should they be able to kill Amakura, or at the very least destroy her position. I require you to ensure that they do so.

I am prepared to offer you twenty thousand Nuyen to ensure that Amakura dies. In addition, you will be inducted as a Kyodai of my clan. If you are unfortunately unsuccessful... well then I'm sure you know the price for failure."
As if to emphasize, he places his left hand on the table and you notice his little finger is missing two knuckles. At that he leaves and Kojika escorts you downstairs to an empty table. A pack of gangers from the Flying Dragons is hanging out across the bar. They nod towards you and raise their glasses with respect. Apparently news of your meeting has already spread.

09:30 4th January 2070 --Sybercat's Van--
As Sybercat goes through the morning ritual of picking everyone up she is obviously excited about something. Only after collecting everyone though does she spill the beans. She slouches over in her chair, leans her arm out of the window, lights a cigarette and does a terrible impression ripped out of the old mob movies. "So ya see. Last night I gets a call from my drycleaner. He tells me that our cloths are ready. So early this mornin' I goes to the cleaner and picked up our cloths. We each gots us ten thousand smackers, clean as a whistle." You each notice the credit balance in your account skyrocket at she transfers the funds.

Snapping out of 'character' she becomes a bit more serious. "Anyhow I guess we're off to go meet our new crewmember. Usaka didn't tell us much about him. Hopefully he fits in, and doesn't stab us in the back too deep. I must admit that's one thing I like about the Vory. They're nice and straight forward. None of this wheels within wheels crap that can get you dead.

After that we're gonna go deal with Crull right? It's a Saturday so he'll probably only be working till noon. We could catch him at home."

11:00 4th January 2070 --Mindwarp, Downtown Seattle--

The club is closed but a troll security guard standing outside the building just takes a moment checking his AR display before letting you in. After a brief patdown he finds any weapons that you have brought but not taken great pains to conceal and removes them, promising that they will be returned. An Japanese man dressed in a suit with a Shinto charm on the breast greets you. (he is obviously awakened and reasonably powerful) "My name is Kojika, I am to take you to meet with Takashi-San.

As Kojika escorts you across the club you notice a number of young toughs dressed in racing leathers emblazoned with oriental dragons in bold colours and sporting wild hairstyles loitering by the unattended bar watching with interest as you are walked across the floor. Mack attracts the most attention. Trolls are a rare sight in the Yakuza. A small stereo is set up and playing Dark Angel's single (link). Must be one of the Bosozoku gangs that feed foot soldiers into the Yaks. Kojika escorts you to a table towards the back where a young Japanese man waits. He nods silently and departs without another word.
Intro
As the team of shadowrunners approached, Takashi stood up. He was unsure how to greet them - though he had been born and spent his whole life in North America, the time had been spent almost exclusively in MCT enclaves, first in San Francisco and then here in Seattle. And his year avoiding MCT's notice had also been spent avoiding just about everyone else as well, the better to disappear - and so he had still had very little contact with the conventional culture of the Seattle region.

And certainly these 'runners would prove to be even further outside of his experience, for surely they could not be 'conventional' in any sense of the word. Trolls were almost unknown in areas that MCT controlled, and the rest of them seemed like a haphazard group, at best. In his previous life, they would definitely have been presented to him as a target, not as... allies.

As his thoughts turned to his previous existence, he decided that he would be best served by doing what he had been trained to do. He gave a precise bow, of the type one would give to coworkers who were his peers. That solved the greeting issue. The rest was just a tactical problem. Assess resouces, aquire intelligence, and create a plan to accomplish his goals. Those were concepts he could handle.

Good morning. Usaka-sama tells me that I may be able to provide you with some assistance. If you will tell me more of your mission, we shall see in what ways I can help you to bring it to a speedy and successful conclusion.

...Of course, given the looks of this group, he didn't count on being able to relax in familiar mental territory for long. But at least it would be more interesting than fixing cars, there could be no doubt about that...
Nigel
Loki turns to the human standing up, bows in the same way (formal, respectful, as peers) and says, "Good morning. I'm sure Usaka-sama has briefed you on the people you are to help, but to introduce us I am Loki. These are my companions, Sybercat, Padre, Mack and Sweeps. Sybercat is for Matrix support, scouting, and transportation. I am, as you may have noticed, the talker. Padre also helps fill that responsibility, but is more adept in violent situations. Sweeps and Mack are more combat-oriented, however. We are honored to meet you. If you will follow me, I'll explain further about what we are to do."

When he follows, Loki stops just outside the van and tells him about what their assignment is, not revealing any vital information about Dark Angel or Icelady. "Anything else you need to know?"
Intro
Takashi was sure that there was a significant amount of information that Loki wasn't telling him. At least they were cautious - he hoped that trait carried over into the rest of their work, and wasn't just directed at him. He assumed that he would learn at least as much about their plans by going along with them instead of trying to probe them for further information, so he simply replied,

I see. What will your next operation be? And also, would you prefer me to travel separately, or do you wish me to accompany me in your own vehicle. If so, give me a moment to recruit somebody to look after my motorcycle; otherwise, let me get my things and I shall be ready to go.
Nigel
"Currently, we plan to find his brother, who we have information on, and see what he knows. After that will change based on what he knows or says." Loki says to Takashi. "We all travel together, generally. Easier to plan and such."
Intro
Very well.

Takashi walks over to request that the people lounging by the door ensure that his bike remains unmolested. After that, he turns toward his bike and removes from a compartment hidden under one of the panels certain pieces of materiel which he certainly felt better for having with him, but which would have been inappropriate to take into a meeting with Usaka-sama.

After returning to the van, he says:

I have gathered what I require. If you need nothing else while we are here, we can go to find this brother of Angel whenever you would like.
imperialus
12:30 4th January 2070 -- Sybercat's Van, Downtown Seattle --

@ everyone on the team net: As Sybercat weaves through the streets in the direction of Renton a call from Icelady comes in over your comlinks. She sounds strained and you hear the sound of breaking glass and the distinctive popping of an Ares Predator in the background..

<<Dios-Fuck!>> There is the sound a gun firing much closer, probably by Ice. <<Guys... Hate to be a bother... A pack of gangers are smashing up my store.>> more gunfire <<Fuck me... They're not all street scum. I think the Yak's found me! Get here quick!>> You think you might have heard someone shout "...kura... talk... her... live... in the background and moments later the line goes dead in a earpeircing squeal of white noise.

Sybercat winces and makes an abrupt handgesture, cutting the sound off. "Well shit... That's our payday... where am I going guys?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012