Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2-Pistol Shooters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mike_the_fish
OK, so I admit - I think shooting with a pair of pistols is tre' cool. Love all those old westerns and Chow Yun Fat movies - just think it's a fun way to fight.

So I noticed that the rules for doing so in SR are pretty strict. Smartlinks don't work, you take a hefty target number penalty, the recoil stacks for each gun, and I am not sure, but don't you have to split up your skill dice between the two shots?

I guess my question is this: have you ever seen somebody fighting this way in any games that you run? Is it really worth doing? Or does the penalties you take make it prohibitive?

If it's yes on the latter, then I am thinking about making a house rule in my games. I am thinking of having the Smartgun Link bonus actually work. Or perhaps they work only partially, like perhaps the +2 bonus is split in half, a +1 for each gun.

This is not entirely without precedence. I remember a character in an old Shadowrun novel who used a pair of Savalette Guardians, and his Smartgun Link worked just fine with both of them. I remember that he had a PAIR of crosshairs superimposed on his vision, instead of the one crosshair normally seen. His "left hand" crosshair was a different color than his right hand one - that's how he told them apart. I know the novels aren't "canon" or anything, but still it makes sense to me *shrug*

I know that the rulebook version is probably more realistic. In the real life, it is rarely usefull to use 2 pistols. But then again, this ain't real life is it cyber.gif
Yum Donuts
well, where to begin... first, smartlinks give a -2, not a +2 modifier. second, I have seen people play it ambidexteriously, and it is indeed powerful, thirdly, you do NOT want to make it any easier, and fourthly, it really is difficult to do.

ok, start with the last one. I want you to try having 2 friends throw something to you at the same time, and try to catch them both, one with each hand. that's hard. multiply that by 10, and you've got the dificulty of shooting with both pistols.

secondly, in shadowrun's system, with a good skill, the first shot can be an instant kill. so you're getting someone who can kill 4 people on one initiative pass. that's powerful. if you make that easier by giving them smartlink bonuses, it's even more difficult

also, keeping track of two targetting reticles is quite hard.

the only thing I would agree with is something that maybe made it a bit easier to unload with 2 pistols at one target, for example, a car coming straight at you, you should have a better shot of damaging it by just pointing and firing two guns than by only firing one, but that's just me.

Personally, I think the rules are just fine as they are.
omie
actually, according to the SR FAQ, novels can be considered canon with some "rule stretching." this may be a case-in-point of rule stretching.

i like the idea, though. and i agree that it shouldn't be easy. what about creating a new skill called "ambidextrous" or something that the player has to dump points into. maybe drop the smartlink ability and use the skill to add modifiers? and perhaps throw in some penalties and caps. we don't want him dual wielding shotguns and SMGs the way he would pistols, though =). so maybe add some constraints for that...or make it only apply to pistols.

Glyph
Cannon Companion already has rules for ambidexterity and off-hand skills.
mike_the_fish
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)

ok, start with the last one. I want you to try having 2 friends throw something to you at the same time, and try to catch them both, one with each hand. that's hard. multiply that by 10, and you've got the dificulty of shooting with both pistols.

secondly, in shadowrun's system, with a good skill, the first shot can be an instant kill. so you're getting someone who can kill 4 people on one initiative pass. that's powerful. if you make that easier by giving them smartlink bonuses, it's even more difficult

Ah yes, but I am not arguing that it should not be hard. It IS hard in Shadowrun, and I would not change that. I am only thinking of having Smartgun links work. I am not thinking of lessening the penalties in any way, just having a certain piece of tech work in both situations.

Even with the mods that I am thinking us using, killing 4 people in one pass is very unlikely. Assuming (and I don't have my book with me, so I am not %100 on this) that you have to split your skill dice up between both guns, most folks will only be using between 3-4 dice per shot, before pools. Even if he throws pool into these shots, he is going to run out really fast, and each individual shot won't be nearly as deadly as they would be with a single pistol. Factor in the still quite formidible target number penalties, and that most of his opponents would be wearing at least 5 points of ballistic armor (more if they are equipped with sec armor)... sorry man, I just don't buy that a whole lot of 4-kill initiative passes are going to show up.

Looking at the numbers, it seems that a one-pistol shooter is going to get a lower number of shots that do a lot of damage. A 2-pistol shooter, under my house rules, is going to get a lot of shots, but with less damage. To me, it doesn't seem to affect the balance of power too much. But that's just my opinion.
Yum Donuts
pistols/savlet 5/7 plus enhanced articulation, and reflex recorder. now you're throwing 9 dice at TN 2 with a starting character. average 8 successes, with an 11M base weapon (ex explosive ammo) with their 5 balisitc, you're talking about needing 6 successes against TN 6 to bring the damage down to serious. most corp guards don't have a body of 6, much less are able to get 6 successes. throw in some combat pool, and it gets even worse.

but then, what do I know?

yes, the guards could be wearing more armor, but the player could have a custom made 10M base gun that uses burst fire, also.
Bearclaw
Phys-ad with Pistols 6 (12)
2 Ares Predators with GV1.
Ambidexterity.

All 4 shots are against a TN of 4. Meaning that, on average, without combat pool, you get 6 successes with a 9M wound, 4 times per initiative pass.
Exactly how much easier should it get?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (omie)
actually, according to the SR FAQ, novels can be considered canon with some "rule stretching."  this may be a case-in-point of rule stretching.

With the novels, whilst the world events that happen are considered canon, you're generally best off looking to the sourcebooks for the rules. The authors tend to take artistic license or just aren't all that familiar with the rules sometimes. smile.gif
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Yum Donuts @ Dec 15 2003, 11:42 PM)
pistols/savlet 5/7 plus enhanced articulation, and reflex recorder. now you're throwing 9 dice at TN 2 with a starting character. average 8 successes, with an 11M base weapon (ex explosive ammo) with their 5 balisitc, you're talking about needing 6 successes against TN 6 to bring the damage down to serious.  most corp guards don't have a body of 6, much less are able to get 6 successes.  throw in some combat pool, and it gets even worse.

but then, what do I know?

yes, the guards could be wearing more armor, but the player could have a custom made 10M base gun that uses burst fire, also.

where do you get the TN2? I get 4. Reflex recorder and enhanced articulation give extra dice, not TN mods.
Yum Donuts
and no, you don't have to split your dice between your guns
Diesel
You split dice...?
FlakJacket
Maybe in past systems, damn bloody memory, but not the current one AFAIK.
Yum Donuts
TN mods come from smartlink bonuses which he wants to aply to both weapons when dual wielding.
then again, there's always aptitude(pistols).
and now someone else will point out the "switching targets" modifier on the second shot that I forgot, so I'll beat them to the punch.
on the second target with each gun there will be a +2 modifier for switching targets, and that will make it a bit more difficult.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
All 4 shots are against a TN of 4.

Well I suppose if everyone in your combats just stands motionless in nice well light areas whilst blasting away at each other, then yes, you get TN's of just four.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Dec 16 2003, 07:42 AM)
All 4 shots are against a TN of 4.

Well I suppose if everyone in your combats just stands motionless in nice well light areas whilst blasting away at each other, then yes, you get TN's of just four.

Now you're nit picking.
FlakJacket
Possibly. But if you're trying to argue a point with examples that aren't very realistic, you can expect that. :/
Herald of Verjigorm
The multiple gun penalty could be defined as two parts: multiple targets and dual weaponry. The multiple targets would be nullified any time you are shooting both at one target and the dual weaponry would be countered by the off-hand weapon concept.

Make the multiple targets negate any sights or smartlinks, but let them apply when you are targetting two spots in the same direction.

Open to suggestions about how to divvy up the penalty to make this a somewhat balanced compromize.
Bearclaw
You haven't stated your opinion on the matter at all.
Do you feel that a two pistol shooter gets hosed? You can't just tell me I'm dumb without even offering an opinion.
Raiko
Do you feel that a two pistol shooter gets hosed?

No IMO two pistol shooters don't get hosed.

Just take a look through the "Welcome to the Shadows" forum and see how many street sams take their dual heavy pistols (usually custom) at the start of the run.

Most dual wielders will have ambidexterity and/or aptitude. Most will have enhanced articulation and many will also have reflex recorders. As noted above all these enhancements will either bring the TN back down or pile in enough extra dice to make it easier.

Also, although you loose the TN bonus of the smartlink you do still get the secondary bonuses (ie free action to change modes or eject empty clips) and these greatly help dual shooters. So much so that IMO, without the dual smartlinks you need 4 pistols, because of the reload times.

BTW do you still get the reduced TN modifier for called shots if you're dual weiling pistols and using smartlink 2s? I've not got my books with me at the moment.
Nonsensical
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
TN mods come from smartlink bonuses which he wants to aply to both weapons when dual wielding.
then again, there's always aptitude(pistols).
and now someone else will point out the "switching targets" modifier on the second shot that I forgot, so I'll beat them to the punch.
on the second target with each gun there will be a +2 modifier for switching targets, and that will make it a bit more difficult.

Quite a bit more difficult, actually. The first shot will be an unmodified TN of 4, the second (in the first simple action) will be a TN of 6, the third a TN of 8, and the fourth a TN of 10. Even with centering and a smartlink, anything beyond the first two is a very difficult proposition indeed.
mike_the_fish
That's what I had thought. Even with all that stuff, the gigantic target numbers will probably make the later shots fairly weak in the success department. Although I was mistaken on the whole splitting dice thing. May have to rethink.
Crisp
First let me just add that I like the idea of shooting two guns at the same time so I'll be biased in favor of people trying to do it.

Personally I would allow anyone with two Induction Pads and two Processors to get the full bonus to both guns. Some people will say that this would make gunbunnies (street sam or pistol adepts alike) too powerful (potentially killing four people every action pass, etc) but remember that the multiple target penalty is +2 for each additional target (regardless of which gun your shooting them with) so you might have a target number of 2 for that first hopeless sec-guard, assuming he doesn't take cover and there is good visibility, but it's TN 4 for the second one, TN 6 for the third and TN 8 for the fourth, not so easy anymore.

Now if you're shooting at just one target you do get to shoot four times at TN 2 but if your strreet sam with skill 7(9) needs to shoot him four times then the target is probably hardened or something and you'd be better off picking up an SMG or an assault shotgun with a lot of recoil compensation and letting off a few bursts, or possinly just running for dear life.
Raiko
QUOTE (Crisp @ Dec 16 2003, 10:05 AM)
Some people will say that this would make gunbunnies (street sam or pistol adepts alike) too powerful

Like I said, take a look through the "Welcome to the Shadows" forum and look how many street samurai already use dual pistols.

If it was a bad choice using the current rules, then nobody would use it, but as it stands dual pistols seems to be a more popular choice for gunbunnies than other high power options, such as Ares Alpha + 10 pts Recoil Comp.
mfb
people still use it, even though it is a bad choice using the current rules. they do it because they think it's cool, whatever the modifiers.
BumsofTacoma
dont forget a +2 for aditional targets. it does stack up.

so if you shoot at 4 people it goes 4,6,8,10.

if you power game make it easier, not just for pc's but npc's.

now dual gyromounts on a troll with 2 smgs....

eek.gif ack i'll shutup now
Shockwave_IIc
It's my house rule that smartlinks and laser sights apply when both guns are firing at one target only.

So if shooting on a clear day at a single stationary target within 5 meters. Your 4 shots are Tn's 2 (with smart link and str6).

However, 4 diferent targets same conditions.
First Tn 4
Second 6
Third 8
Fourth 10

Of cause in real gme terms you got to factor in lightning, movement (both target and firer) amoung other things. So i don't find this at all unbalancing. But as i said, It's my house rule. Along with -2 power for most heavy pistols (so average damage code is 7M).
Dogsoup
I houseruled that the usual +2/+4 modifier for two guns is doubled when shooting at two different targets. If the shooter switch target(s) on his second simple action he gets another +2, as usual. But I also allow all aim-enhancement gear to be taken into account. This makes shooting both guns at the same target, in both actions, quite manageable with a SL.
JAG
You would need 2 smartlinks for two guns, seeing as the induction pad in the palm would not work in the off hand (where there is no pad)
Crisp
@JAG: Yes, I agree with you, but if you're using the piecemeal SGL rules, I'd rule that you only need two Processors and two Induction Pads the other components (the Display and the Simsense thingy-don't remember what it's called...) should work just fine.

Also I'd like to note that as Raiko pointed out there are other ways to kill nearly everything in sight, a smartlinked Ares Alpha with 10 points of RC lets you shoot three targets with a damage code of 11S and it even makes the targets' dodge rolls more difficult (TN 5, not TN4).

To me it's more a matter of style than power, some characters should carry that Ares Alpha, others make more sense with a Predator in each hand.
Jpwoo
Don't want to nitpick or unbalance your game, and just want people to use twin pistols cause it is cool?

Allow a one point edge that characters can take called, Two Pistol guy, or Chow yun Fat wannabe, or something to that effect.

The edge would allow a character to fire two pistols without penalty at the same target, +3 power +one level of staging, like a burst for an SMG. This is no more unbalancing than an SMG, it lets you look cool. Only allowed with pistols. No two handing smgs or shotguns.
JAG
QUOTE (Crisp)
Also I'd like to note that as Raiko pointed out there are other ways to kill nearly everything in sight,

To me it's more a matter of style than power, some characters should carry that Ares Alpha, others make more sense with a Predator in each hand.

Well my characters style is a good sniper rifle, hasn't failed me yet. Although the bugs on the last run were a pain.
Bearclaw
What do you guys think about the strength and recoil rule.
Would a strength of 6 only soak up one point of recoil, or one per pistol/arm?
bwdemon
Here's a fun question... how many people would allow vismag for two-gunning at different targets? How about if the targets were at different ranges? I'm just trying to imagine the walleye vision that could occur there... wow...
JAG

Here's a fun question... how many people would allow vismag for two-gunning at different targets? How about if the targets were at different ranges? I'm just trying to imagine the walleye vision that could occur there... wow...

I would allow visimag to negate range from one gun.

Of course you'd be blind firing the other nyahnyah.gif

What do you guys think about the strength and recoil rule.
Would a strength of 6 only soak up one point of recoil, or one per pistol/arm?

One point of recoil. Recoil doesn't just affect the arm nyahnyah.gif

spin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
people still use it, even though it is a bad choice using the current rules. they do it because they think it's cool, whatever the modifiers.

Exactly like in real life, eh? wink.gif
Zeittotschlager
My GM has a set of dual pistol house rules that seem to be working fine for us. We're not hardcore though, and a lot of the stuff you guys are talking about must be coming from sources other than the plain old SR3 core book (which is all we use).

Smartlinks work fine. Just like someone said earlier, you get two different color crosshairs.

Laser sights also work fine. (Why the hell not?)

There is no increase in target number simply for holding two pistols. (I beleive the official rule is +2)

You may fire two shots per pistol, but only at a maximum of two targets. (Targeting three or four people in one round in semi auto would just require too much thinking time.)

Four shots of course require two simple actions.

Recoil rules are standard.

This has been a lot of fun, and it's made for some really interesting fights. There has been an increase in "theatrics" since these rules were clarified. (Running and jumping with two pistols blazing...)

-Z
Ol' Scratch
Let's see, two to four shots a-blazin' at a TN of 4 (Ambidexterity 4), or one or two well placed shots at a TN of 2 (Smartlink-2).

Yes, I see how having a minor consequence that puts you up to the oh-so-devestating base TN of everything else in the game in exchange for doubling the amount of lead you can spew out in less than a second or two is a "bad choice" and wholly unfair. ohplease.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)

(Yeah yeah, I know, rhetoric question, whatever...)
Because it's hard to keep track of even one small red dot that's bouncing all over the damn place while people are shooting at you, never mind TWO small red dots bouncing all over the place.

I can see realism isn't what you're going for here, though. Keeping in mind that you're looking for Hong Kong movie style action, then there really isn't a reason not to allow laser sights to work. You can't get to a completely illogical goal by applying logic. nyahnyah.gif

Although, if you really wish to see Hong Kong movie action, then it would be better to apply +6 TN to all shots fired in any conditions, getting rid of modifiers like running (or Jumping...) and firing two weapons, but doubling all the modifiers that do count. I mean, when is the last time somebody hit someone important (generic bad guys don't count, they die when someone breathes their way) with the first 100 shots (ie first half-a-mag with a Beretta M92...) in a Hong Kong action move?
BitBasher
(Targeting three or four people in one round in semi auto would just require too much thinking time.)
er.. no one competent in a skill requires thinking time. Thinking time means the skill is not reflex, and if its not relfex you are either untrained in ot, or certainly not good at it. If you ever spend thinking time in combat you're likely screwed.
Tanka
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)

(Yeah yeah, I know, rhetoric question, whatever...)
Because it's hard to keep track of even one small red dot that's bouncing all over the damn place while people are shooting at you, never mind TWO small red dots bouncing all over the place.

I can see realism isn't what you're going for here, though. Keeping in mind that you're looking for Hong Kong movie style action, then there really isn't a reason not to allow laser sights to work. You can't get to a completely illogical goal by applying logic. nyahnyah.gif

Although, if you really wish to see Hong Kong movie action, then it would be better to apply +6 TN to all shots fired in any conditions, getting rid of modifiers like running (or Jumping...) and firing two weapons, but doubling all the modifiers that do count. I mean, when is the last time somebody hit someone important (generic bad guys don't count, they die when someone breathes their way) with the first 100 shots (ie first half-a-mag with a Beretta M92...) in a Hong Kong action move?

Hoo-ha, that's what I'm talking about!</sarcasm>

He is right. Oh, and one addendum: If it is a non-important NPC, quadruple the modifiers instead.
Siege
I'm at work, so my reply will be kinda brief.

You need to specify in what scenario you're using the two-handgun scenario -- entirely different numbers apply to entirely different scenarios.

Will be back later.

-Siege
Jpwoo
Here's a fun question... how many people would allow vismag for two-gunning at different targets?

The only people who can do this are chameleon shaman.
Siege
QUOTE (Jpwoo)
Here's a fun question... how many people would allow vismag for two-gunning at different targets?

The only people who can do this are chameleon shaman.

No kidding -- I mean c'mon, try splitting your visual focus between two distinct points.

In a word -- ouch.

-Siege
Zazen
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)

That's probably a bad comparison because I can do that easily. I've spent a lot of time practicing catching things (well, juggling).

Someone could say that they've spent as much time training with two pistols as I've spent juggling my socks, and thus shouldn't have a problem with it.
Dende
Hence the ambidexterity and/or two weapon skill!
Siege
The problem is: I think it's physically impossible to legitimately split your visual focus with equal clarity between two disparate targets.

A suggested houserule on my part: split your handgun dice between the two targets -- this reflects how much relative attention you pay to either target. Even split, you try to focus on both. Otherwise you lean one way or the other.

-Siege
Bearclaw
I like that rule, but there's got to be some pay off for the extra karma spent on ambidexterity, etc.

OK, how does this sound.
The base rules apply, ie you get minus 2 for each weapon, which is made up by ambidexterity.
If you're targeting a single opponent, you get SGL bonuses for each one. If you're targetting different targets, on gets the SGL bonus and the other doesn't (whichever one you're actually paying the most attention to).
All other modifiers apply, different targets, recoild, etc.

so, if you wanna swing down by your knees from the stair rail and unload both pistols on one guy, you're gonna kill the crap out of him. If you're dealing with multiple opponents, you are essentially focusing on one target and throwing lead at a second one, which also seems realistic.

I challenge any of you who have handguns or bb guns or whatever, to have a friend randomly place two tin cans at least 5 meters away from you and at least 3 meters away from eachother, while you're blindfolded. Have the friend remove the blind fold and see how long it takes you to be able to hit both cans by shooting at the same time.
gknoy
I've been playing with a 2-pistol style character for some time, the idea shamelessly stolen from Woo's "The Killer". Here are some of my thoughts.

I don't see a problem with smartgun links working for both guns, honestly... as long as the person has two smartgun links installed (i.e., separate smarty processors running and everything -- double the essence loss and double the cost is a fairish tradeoff, to me...) However, I DO think that the +2 for two-gun shooting should still apply -- thus a net TN of 4 anyways. Remember that a TN of 4 is a lot harder than a TN of 2 (esp since you're still adding in movement and vision modifiers). It's a LOT more effective to make two shots from the same gun than to take 4 shots from two guns.

QUOTE ("Yum Donuts")
secondly, in shadowrun's system, with a good skill, the first shot can be an instant kill. so you're getting someone who can kill 4 people on one initiative pass.

While I disagree, that would still get really interesting. Unless they have recoil compensation (which any smart shooter would wink.gif), the recoil on subsequent shots that pass would be painful. More importantly, the +2 TN for additional targets would get interesting... heck, if I saw it being abused, I might impose +2 per additional target -- so if you took a shot at each of 4 targets in the same pass, your base TNs would be 4, 6, 8, and probably 8 since no one's gonna get many successes with a TN of 8 + whatever, and thereby needs 2 or more shots on that person. wink.gif

QUOTE ("Yum Donuts")
the only thing I would agree with is something that maybe made it a bit easier to unload with 2 pistols at one target
also, keeping track of two targetting reticles is quite hard.

Oh, definitely. I think that what might be a good test (for those that don't agree) is, play one of those House of the Dead type arcade games, but use both guns -- I find that I tend to point both guns at the same target anyways. Though, I have a hard time concentrating on where each gun is pointing..

Also ... in the big scale of things, how useful is it to use dual pistols? Yes, it looks cool ... but one or two well-placed bursts from ANY SMG will have a much more devastating effect. I discovered the harsh reality of this when I did a play-test run with my gunslinger character. wink.gif

Other things I've found myself having to think about are non-combat related. How do you open a door when both hands are holding a gun? You're going to have to put one away, or hold it in the other hand (thereby rendering it useless too wink.gif)... Ever tried to reload a pistol while holding another one? Probably not easy.

Anyways, the advantages (to me) of having two guns is that sometimes you need the extra shot, as well as having a second already loaded gun when you need it -- thus, I tend to take two shots with the same gun, (and thus get the smarty bonuses, etc), rather than 4 shots with the two. Usually. wink.gif
Shadow
Where do you get the idea that because you are carrying 2 pistols you can fire 4 rounds? It is a simple action to fire a single shot. You get two simple action regardless of the number of guns you are holding.

Example:

Pulse is carrying 2 fully automatic SMG's. Both are set to fire in full auto. He can only fire 1 in full auto mode. THe other cannot be fired. Or he can fire a burst from each. Or 2 bursts from 1.

Did I miss something or are you guys talking about a houserule?
Siege
QUOTE (Shadow)
Where do you get the idea that because you are carrying 2 pistols you can fire 4 rounds? It is a simple action to fire a single shot. You get two simple action regardless of the number of guns you are holding.

Example:

Pulse is carrying 2 fully automatic SMG's. Both are set to fire in full auto. He can only fire 1 in full auto mode. THe other cannot be fired. Or he can fire a burst from each. Or 2 bursts from 1.

Did I miss something or are you guys talking about a houserule?

The idea being, a Simple Action per hand.

1st Simple Action, each hand fires a shot. (2 shots)
2nd Simple Action, each hand fires a shot. (2 shots)

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012