Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compromise
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
tete
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 27 2008, 06:16 PM) *
People take this "everything is hackable" way too far.

They do in real life to... a chip is a chip is a chip my microprocessor professor used to say. You can pump audio out your video card its just extremely inefficient (and silly) to do so. I can use my house key as a screwdriver to but you know what, the screwdriver works a whole lot better.

You can check out make magazine online for sometimes silly sometimes cool always a little crazy inventions and hack jobs.
http://makezine.com/projects/
Synner667
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Aug 27 2008, 08:04 PM) *
Those examples are anti-heroes. An anti-hero isn't evil.

Superman. Traditional literary hero. Batman. Traditional literary anti-hero. Is your average Shadowrun PC a knight in shining armor or someone who slinks about in the... ahem... shadows? I would never say that someone can't play a white knight in Shadowrun. But it seems counter to the spirit of the game.

Except that several of the SR novel have Characters who are policemen or bodyguards, Characters who do things for reasons other than money - honour, friendship, love, humanitarianism...
...Which would make them not anti-heroes, according to you/your source.

QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Aug 27 2008, 07:35 PM) *
"I'm not scared of bluetooth hackers. If someone is hacking me through bluetooth I can reach out and slap them for being an ass."

Except that BlueTooth has a range of 10m/30ft in good conditions so you could be hacked from the other end of the bus and not know [if you're not using your phone/looking at it].
Jhaiisiin
Some bluetooth reaches over 100m without issue, so person could be down the block from you.

As to hacking and taking it too far, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, the software will always be limited by the physical limitations of the hardware it's trying to drive. You can't make a joint that does a 180 degree arc suddenly do 270, or suddenly swing left/right instead of up/down. The hardware just *can't* do it.
Cain
so what you want, cain, is one street magic pr tradition presented in street magic?

No, I want fewer traditions with greater depth and quality to the writing.

You can hack anything with a Device rating that you are in Signal range of. Most cybergear has a signal range of 0-1. Getting within 3 meters of that really ticked off Street sam? Not a good idea.

Then hack the streetlight he's standing under, and use that as a springboard to reach him. Can't reach that? Just daisy-chain your way through a bunch of nearby items, like the doorknobs and window controls, or everyone else's clothing. Not a problem.

Yes, you can hack anything with a device rating, but that doesn't change the limitations of the device you're hacking, and that is the point a lot of people keep trying to make. You can't hack my blackberry and make it slice my face open. You could trash the software, even maybe cause it to short out or overload and burn me, but that's it. A minor dose of reasonable interpretation on any piece of equipment will explain what the device rating is responsible for. It could be a simple RFID chip, a digital ammo counter, or a diagnostic function. A simple diagnostic program, for example, reads the integrity of a device and presents the information for interpretation. It has no control over the equipment, so hacking it to shut down the equipment would be pointless.

That won't stop players from getting creative. Alter the digital readout on the gun to say it jammed. Turn on all the diagnostic software at once, you'll start running so many programs that the Response will degrade. And those are just the combat applications; the noncombat applications are worse. You can program someone's armored clothing to signal you when it's put in the wash, telling you exactly when's a good time to spring an ambush. Or, you can program a cardboard cup (which would have an inventory chip) with an agent to infect the sammie's cyber for you. Basically, saying everything is wireless = everything's a trap waiting to happen.
Redjack
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 01:53 PM) *
No, I want fewer traditions with greater depth and quality to the writing.
Gotta cry 'foul' here. Didn't you argue the other side of the coin here that voodoo wasn't included?

QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 01:53 PM) *
Then hack the streetlight he's standing under, and use that as a springboard to reach him. Can't reach that? Just daisy-chain your way through a bunch of nearby items, like the doorknobs and window controls, or everyone else's clothing. Not a problem.
Problem. That streetlight will have a system rating of 1, if its wireless at all. That limits any programs you upload to it to hack with at an effective rating of "1".
Cain
Gotta cry 'foul' here. Didn't you argue the other side of the coin here that voodoo wasn't included?

Nope. I complained that the voodoo section in SM didn't go into enough depth. The same also applies to shamanism and hermeticism.

Problem. That streetlight will have a system rating of 1, if its wireless at all. That limits any programs you upload to it to hack with at an effective rating of "1".

Then use an agent. No one's ever specified what happens to them, but apparently they manage to keep their full ratings when they reach a big enough system.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 08:53 PM) *

I personally prefer microdrones as mobile relay stations, even though they have the downside of being possibly detectable by regular wifi scans or careful physical observation.

Hacking your way through several nodes (even if they are poorly guarded) does not only include the problem of possible low device ratings along the way, but takes some time, which makes the drones a good approach in combat situations and which is the reason why establishing wirelinked chokepoint architecture for your PAN is so important if you are security-conscious.

That won't stop players from getting creative.

Yes, fortunately it doesn't.

Making more things -not all, mind you- hackable means more job opportunities for hackers.
Having more hack options is actually the prerequisite for truly bringing the 3 levels of play -physical, astral, electronic- together and adding complexity to your game, as well as spotlighting all players- and being able to distribute spotlight time, as it is no longer one hacking scene, then an infiltration scene (or an infiltration scene, then a hacking scene, then more infiltration in case of isolated networks), but a constant switching between the various levels of play.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Aug 27 2008, 03:37 PM) *
Except that several of the SR novel have Characters who are policemen or bodyguards, Characters who do things for reasons other than money - honour, friendship, love, humanitarianism...
...Which would make them not anti-heroes, according to you/your source.

I haven't read a Shadowrun novel in 16 years. The last one I did read featured Sam Spade-noir detective Dirk Montgomery in 2XS. He was the purest example of anti-hero. But whatever novels you're referring to, I'm guessing those characters, despite not being motivated by money, were not white-hatted cowboys or noble warriors? Were they more Han Solo than Luke Skywalker? Anti-hero.

An anti-hero isn't a bad guy, he's a protagonist character fraught with human frailties such as angst, fear, anger, what have you and they direct his actions.
Redjack
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 02:14 PM) *
Nope. I complained that the voodoo section in SM didn't go into enough depth. The same also applies to shamanism and hermeticism.
My bad. Sorry, confused that.

QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 02:14 PM) *
Then use an agent. No one's ever specified what happens to them, but apparently they manage to keep their full ratings when they reach a big enough system.
Agent is a program. Its rating is still limited by the system rating of the node. So load up an agent AND exploit on a node with system r1... you just crashed the node by overloading it.
Cain
Making more things -not all, mind you- hackable means more job opportunities for hackers.
Having more hack options is actually the prerequisite for truly bringing the 3 levels of play -physical, astral, electronic- together and adding complexity to your game, as well as spotlighting all players- and being able to distribute spotlight time, as it is no longer one hacking scene, then an infiltration scene (or an infiltration scene, then a hacking scene, then more infiltration in case of isolated networks), but a constant switching between the various levels of play.

And that's a problem, because deckers already dominate total aspects of a game.

In *every* SR4 game I played or ran, we had issues with deckers dominating the legwork section, sometimes so badly that other players went out for food while the decker worked. Most of the info you need is on the matrix, and so you're making a lot of Data Search rolls to get general information. All other characters have to offer is Contacts, and that only helps if the contact is connected to the right areas. Even when certain information is only held by certain NPC's. you need a decker to get general info on that person, and to start locating them.

For example, in On The Run, the only clue you get from your Johnson will involve a lot of Data Search rolls to get to the next step. That also involves chasing down a lot of dead ends, so you're going to make an awful lot of Extended tests to get absolutely nowhere. Once you figure out who has the next clue, you need to do a bunch of legwork on Nabo to figure out a plan of attack. That also involves a lot of Data Search rolls. Once you've done that, you need to backtrack the email (definitely requiring a decker) and then track down a series of people, all of which involve Matrix searches.
Redjack
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 02:25 PM) *
In *every* SR4 game I played or ran, we had issues with deckers dominating the legwork section, sometimes so badly that other players went out for food while the decker worked.
I see you and raise you sr1-sr4. This has always been a problem in all games for me that the decker/hacker monopolized a portion of the game. I see this as a flavor/GM/Mission issue, not a game design issue. This is a trap that I see most often when too much of the legwork is available online, as opposed to only available via contacts. Most secrets just shouldn't be available just via a data search. They should either require targeted hacking or (better yet) only available from contacts.
Cain
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 27 2008, 01:32 PM) *
I see you and raise you sr1-sr4. This has always been a problem in all games for me that the decker/hacker monopolized a portion of the game. I see this as a flavor/GM/Mission issue, not a game design issue. This is a trap that I see most often when too much of the legwork is available online, as opposed to only available via contacts. Most secrets just shouldn't be available just via a data search. They should either require targeted hacking or (better yet) only available from contacts.

In SR1-3, the problem with the decker was the "dungeon-within-a-dungeon" aspect of a matrix run. Which still exists in SR4, if the decker chooses to go full-VR. You could reduce this problem by utilizing a lot of offline storage, though; this aspect has been de-emphasized in SR4.

When it comes to contacts vs. Data Search rolls, the problem here is that you're dependent on having a contact who's area of specialty covers what you need to know. In any event, it's better to go chasing down possibilities via Data Search, than to go annoying your contacts. Once you've narrowed yourself down to a plan of attack, then targeted decking or Contacts can come into play.

And even then, the easiest way to reach a contact is via the matrix. And once they give you information, you're going to want to confirm this, usually via matrix or other people who need to be tracked down via matrix.
Redjack
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 02:45 PM) *
And even then, the easiest way to reach a contact is via the matrix. And once they give you information, you're going to want to confirm this, usually via matrix or other people who need to be tracked down via matrix.
Your rebuttal seems to have ignored most of my post, let me restate it for you.

QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 27 2008, 02:32 PM) *
I see this as a flavor/GM/Mission issue, not a game design issue. This is a trap that I see most often when too much of the legwork is available online, as opposed to only available via contacts. Most secrets just shouldn't be available just via a data search. They should either require targeted hacking or (better yet) only available from contacts.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 09:45 PM) *
In SR1-3, the problem with the decker was the "dungeon-within-a-dungeon" aspect of a matrix run. Which still exists in SR4, if the decker chooses to go full-VR.

Which is a really bad idea in situations where you have to pay attention to the outside world.

In general, in SR4 a decker can go VR, and will have incentives not to do so in many cases.
In SR1-3, he had to go VR all the time.

When it comes to contacts vs. Data Search rolls, the problem here is that you're dependent on having a contact who's area of specialty covers what you need to know.

Or who knows someone who might know something.
A good network of contacts should cover the most common research topics and is often more trustworthy than matrix channels.

And even then, the easiest way to reach a contact is via the matrix.

You don't need a hacker to make a phone call.
If it's an encrypted, redirected phone call, okay.
But even runners aren't always that paranoid.
Wesley Street
If a specific contact doesn't have the information a PC needs an extended test can determine the length of time and cost said contact (say a fixer) can return with the needed information. The idea that a PC can only get needed information from a Data Search or an immediate contact is false.
Rasumichin
Also, i don't see how data search can take up so much time.
It's a couple of dice rolls, then the GM tells you what you find on which site, that's it.

Calling a connection, on the other hand...you know, those things tend to get roleplayed.
Yes, there'll be social skill tests too, but still, the amount of game time devoted to checking a connection usually exceeds that for a data search.
Ryu
If the group needs a decker for data searches and legwork, something is going very wrong. Minmaxers can run a mook, if need by by fetch module, everyone else can pay the few bucks for Browse and 4 BP for Datasearch already.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (DreadPirateKitten @ Aug 27 2008, 04:36 PM) *
RF stands for Radio Frequency, which is how you get radio and cell service today. Yes, its possibly to block RF with massive line of sight barriers, or whatnot, but, I am guessing your local radio stations are getting a 99.99% penetration rate on homes in your area.

Same for cell service. I can get high speed internet on my cell phone.

different frequencies, different penetration rates. and by the sound of it, SR use something in the microwave range...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet...gnetic_spectrum

thing is that the higher the frequency, the more data one can transmit in a given time slice. but at the same time, the em waves ability to penetrate drops.

for example, gsm phone signal, being on lower frequencies then umts/3G radio, are better at penetrating buildings and bad weather...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 27 2008, 09:46 PM) *
Some bluetooth reaches over 100m without issue, so person could be down the block from you.

As to hacking and taking it too far, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, the software will always be limited by the physical limitations of the hardware it's trying to drive. You can't make a joint that does a 180 degree arc suddenly do 270, or suddenly swing left/right instead of up/down. The hardware just *can't* do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_sniping
Not of this World
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 27 2008, 01:56 PM) *
In SR1-3, he had to go VR all the time.

But much of the time they were in Overwatch mode so were actually part of the team. This isn't something I house ruled either, it is detailed as a way of including Deckers in the Matrix book.

The Decker/Rigger could also come right along and do MIJI tests and sorts of things that were resolved with quick roles, not full-fledged hacking of every electronic device in sight. The Electronic Warfare rules were actually a perfect implementation in my opinion of integrating Deckers and Riggers into a street setting. If anything SR4 should have moved this to the core setting of Shadowrun rather than going the other route and making everything into a "Hackable Universe"tm.

Now if you read the subject line this thread is about "Compromise", so lets stay and topic and ask what each of you have to offer regarding the Matrix?

I would like to see large area settings where the amount of things hackable on every street corner is brought to a more reasonable and manageable list of like half a dozen (rather than potentially everything in sight).
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 27 2008, 10:41 PM) *
I would like to see large area settings where the amount of things hackable on every street corner is brought to a more reasonable and manageable list of like half a dozen (rather than potentially everything in sight).

That, and broader aknowledgement of undeveloped areas that are still wired, as well as consideration of security concerns that lead to more skinlinks.

Basically, how i handle it anyway.

Oh, and i'd love to see random tables to generate comlink content on the fly.
I love random tables anyway, but this is an area where they would be really useful.

You never know who'll be hacked next, it would be helpful when you don't have to make up every possible link in advance.
Cain
I see this as a flavor/GM/Mission issue, not a game design issue. This is a trap that I see most often when too much of the legwork is available online, as opposed to only available via contacts. Most secrets just shouldn't be available just via a data search. They should either require targeted hacking or (better yet) only available from contacts.

No, but a lot of information you need is best accessed through the Matrix. When you get your job, you want to get a lot of information on your target; the easiest way to do that is a matrix search. You can get more overview information that way; each contact will only know the information that pertains to them. Once you've winnowed down your possibilities and are working on a plan of attack, then the more specific information Contacts have can come into play.
Or who knows someone who might know something.
A good network of contacts should cover the most common research topics and is often more trustworthy than matrix channels.

It's really difficult to afford a good network of contacts as a starting character; and there's no guarantee that the sum total of contacts you have as a group will cover what you need.

True, contacts can put you in touch with people; but so can Matrix searches; and in either case, you're going to want to do a Matrix search on the new person in order to learn more about them before you make contact.
If a specific contact doesn't have the information a PC needs an extended test can determine the length of time and cost said contact (say a fixer) can return with the needed information. The idea that a PC can only get needed information from a Data Search or an immediate contact is false.

Fixers don't work for free, for one. Data Searches don't cost you any nuyen. Second, it depends on how the game's set up, but sometimes the critical clue might be on the matrix; even when it's not, you can usually find useful information via said search. Third, if you're looking for an overview on a target, a Matrix search is the best place to start, and can often lead to interesting tangents that can lead to forming a plan of attack. For example, your first Matrix search turns up that they have a particular security company. You then search the security company, and discover they have an interesting-looking cleaning firm. You search the cleaning company, and discover they're due a shipment of drones soon. You've now got a plan of attack that involves using a drone to infiltrate the security company, producing fake ID's, and getting into the target company that way.

Now, how would an immediate contact (or even an extended series of them) come up with that? This is the sort of creativity I've come to expect from players. They often run plans based on the oddest of details.

Finally, even when you get information from a contact or network of contacts, you'll want to verify it. That includes making even more matrix searches.
Also, i don't see how data search can take up so much time.
It's a couple of dice rolls, then the GM tells you what you find on which site, that's it.

It's an Extended Test, which takes time. When you count up the number of searches the decker is making, it begins to add up. Also factor in the fact that there'll be a number of dead ends that some players will pursue to oblivion, things start to add up quickly. Finally, some players will stumble across something interesting that you planned on them only reporting to the team; but instead, they decide to make a whole run out of it. Now you're doing a solo game as the decker follows down a thread.

If the group needs a decker for data searches and legwork, something is going very wrong. Minmaxers can run a mook, if need by by fetch module, everyone else can pay the few bucks for Browse and 4 BP for Datasearch already

Data Search is an extended test. That means, you can only make as many rolls as you have ranks in the skill. 4BP only buys you a skill rating of 1, which means if you don't break the threshold on the first try, you won't get any information at all.
Ryu
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 11:54 PM) *
Data Search is an extended test. That means, you can only make as many rolls as you have ranks in the skill. 4BP only buys you a skill rating of 1, which means if you don't break the threshold on the first try, you won't get any information at all.

A common houserule is limiting your number of tests to the size of your pool, but even that would allow multiple tests. RAW extended tests are auto-successes if you have time and no opposition.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 11:54 PM) *
Data Search is an extended test. That means, you can only make as many rolls as you have ranks in the skill.

No. By default, the number of tests is unlimited.
The optional rule is 'as many tests as dice'.
Redjack
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 27 2008, 04:41 PM) *
I think that really depends upon the security rating of the street corner as well as the type. A corner in the retail area of an "A" rated neighborhood will be far more prolific with wireless than a residential corner in a "C" rated neighborhood (almost nothing there).
hobgoblin
or you just buy successes at 4:1 to figure out how long it takes...

as for the number of hackable targets in a downtown area, think about it like this:

you have maybe 30 people around you. each of these carry a comlink, ar glasses & ear plugs or trodes, each of their article of clothing packs a rfid, any bag, backpack or similar will have a rfid. anything else they carry will have a rfid. in the end the number of data contacts becomes so large that unless the hacker tells his analyze program to filter out anything thats not a comlink, or similar, one can be looking at something equivalent of a spam zone. that is, negative dice because of to much unwanted traffic.

and thats on top of the potential spam effect from agents, nodes and whatever else in the downtown area trying to sell you something or make you visit some establishment.

now if you head out into the barrens, your looking at it the other way. the coverage will be spotty, infrastructure is probably gang or crime driven and locked down so that corps or rivals cant find it and bring it down. now your looking at negative dice for poor coverage.

and it may well be that anyone running a open comlink in the barrens either have nothing to steal, or are so high up in the local food chain that hacking whoever will basically drop a bomb on the team.

another option is that higher security areas are running random signal interception to look for signs of data crime. and the star, and/or whatever other security in the area. ask your hacker player if a runner would mug or pickpocket a random person on the street. thats basically what they are doing. sure, you can get away with it ones or twice, but make it a habit and the star will start to look for this increasingly high profile hacker.

and just like you dont want to start a gunfight with the star (as they can always call for more ammo or people), you do not want the full weight of the star start looking for you in the local matrix area.

i recall hearing ones that the bigger id theft people where not the kid running up some expensive item on your credit card and then tossing it. its the person that do every day shopping for months after months. why? because they are much harder to notice and find.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 24 2008, 03:10 PM) *
Keep Tir na nOg much like it was - it probably won't have wifi all over anyway, being technophobic as it is), let it keep it's veil and Seelie court and basically be a setting for people who like mystical elf stuff.

'fraid not. One of the runs in the London section of Cities of Intrigue involves the runners breaking into a military site in north-west London, hacking an isolated matrix host and stealing a set of encrypted data without being discovered. Which later turns out to be the launch codes for the UK's four Bellerophon class SSBN submarines - HMS Bellerophon, HMS Black Prince, HMS Britannia and HMS Bulwark. All four submarines launch and their missiles go burning south. Scratch Tir Na nOg - everything from Cavan to Cork is toast. Whilst nearly two thirds of the warheads fail to detonate thanks to the Veil and other unknown reasons 131 nuclear warheads still get through and detonate. The entire country is devastated and reduced to ruin, the Seelie Court in particular is heavily targeted with Lady Brane Deigh being killed and the rest of it almost wiped out to a man. Alaicha herself is killed by a piece of flying debris when a warhead that failed to activate and broke up coming through the Veil comes screaming in at over 10 kilometres a second, piercing her shields and hitting her on the side of her head - she was unable to use the Hand of God since she previously used it back in 2053 to avoid the embarrassment of choking to death on a piece of toast that got lodged in her throat.

At least that's what I'm hoping for and lobbying Peter to have happen. biggrin.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 05:54 PM) *
No, but a lot of information you need is best accessed through the Matrix. When you get your job, you want to get a lot of information on your target; the easiest way to do that is a matrix search. You can get more overview information that way; each contact will only know the information that pertains to them. Once you've winnowed down your possibilities and are working on a plan of attack, then the more specific information Contacts have can come into play.

That's up to the GM. There's no reason disinformation couldn't be placed on the Matrix so even a successful Matrix search could be a complete red herring.

It's really difficult to afford a good network of contacts as a starting character; and there's no guarantee that the sum total of contacts you have as a group will cover what you need.

That's up to the GM. A fixer could be able to put a PC in touch with the right information. For a price.

True, contacts can put you in touch with people; but so can Matrix searches; and in either case, you're going to want to do a Matrix search on the new person in order to learn more about them before you make contact.

Or a PC could try old fashioned leg work. I'm going to trust Bill Gates' shrink before I trust what some nut job says on a message board. The Matrix isn't the be all and end all of information collection.

Fixers don't work for free, for one. Data Searches don't cost you any nuyen.

That's up to the GM. If I was GMing a game I would have the runners owe him a favor if I knew they didn't have the nuyen on them. That's a springboard for further adventures.

Second, it depends on how the game's set up, but sometimes the critical clue might be on the matrix; even when it's not, you can usually find useful information via said search.

A good GM wouldn't make a Matrix search the only way to get useful information to move the game along.

Third, if you're looking for an overview on a target, a Matrix search is the best place to start, and can often lead to interesting tangents that can lead to forming a plan of attack. For example, your first Matrix search turns up that they have a particular security company. You then search the security company, and discover they have an interesting-looking cleaning firm. You search the cleaning company, and discover they're due a shipment of drones soon. You've now got a plan of attack that involves using a drone to infiltrate the security company, producing fake ID's, and getting into the target company that way.

Now, how would an immediate contact (or even an extended series of them) come up with that? This is the sort of creativity I've come to expect from players. They often run plans based on the oddest of details.

You could stake out the target, spot the security company logo on vehicles, shadow the security officers to the laundrymat, then chat up (or bribe) the cleaner about the drones. It would take more time but a good GM would allow for this. Especially if he's ever seen a heist movie. Danny Ocean didn't rob the Bellagio by clicking a mouse.

Finally, even when you get information from a contact or network of contacts, you'll want to verify it. That includes making even more matrix searches.

Or they can make an intuitive decision to trust the information given based on the reliability of the source.

It's an Extended Test, which takes time. When you count up the number of searches the decker is making, it begins to add up. Also factor in the fact that there'll be a number of dead ends that some players will pursue to oblivion, things start to add up quickly. Finally, some players will stumble across something interesting that you planned on them only reporting to the team; but instead, they decide to make a whole run out of it. Now you're doing a solo game as the decker follows down a thread.

Prep work takes time and planning, usually more in-game time than the actual gunplay if the players are smart. Not every shadowrun can be completed in one hour.

No, that's actually up to the GM. A good GM will allow some flexibility on bad rolls to keep the story moving so long as the players are going in the right direction.
Cain
That's up to the GM. There's no reason disinformation couldn't be placed on the Matrix so even a successful Matrix search could be a complete red herring.

Disinformation can also be spread via people. In fact, it's easier in some cases to convince a person or three of something than it is to convince the internet at large.
That's up to the GM. A fixer could be able to put a PC in touch with the right information. For a price.

And as I said, a matrix search is free.
Or a PC could try old fashioned leg work. I'm going to trust Bill Gates' shrink before I trust what some nut job says on a message board. The Matrix isn't the be all and end all of information collection.

No, but according to the setting itself, it's sure as hell a good place to start looking. How would you even know someone is Bill Gates' shrink without doing a lot of legwork? Heck, you could find out who his shrink is online much faster than you could asking around; odds are that you don't have a contact who knows that sort of thing offhand.

A good GM wouldn't make a Matrix search the only way to get useful information to move the game along.

Unless you're playing a Missions game, or On The Run, the published adventures. Frequently, there's a lot of information that's most easily discovered via matrix. In fact, in On The Run, you have to have a decker do some of the legwork, since it'll involve backtracking an email. In other words, if you're playing true to the setting, you have to leave certain clues online.
You could stake out the target, spot the security company logo on vehicles, shadow the security officers to the laundrymat, then chat up (or bribe) the cleaner about the drones. It would take more time but a good GM would allow for this. Especially if he's ever seen a heist movie. Danny Ocean didn't rob the Bellagio by clicking a mouse.

As you said, that'd take more time and money. Besides which, it's common practice to do a matrix search on your target before you stake them out. Just knowing certain things (like the neighborhood security rating) can give you a lot of help before you go in.
Or they can make an intuitive decision to trust the information given based on the reliability of the source.

See your own comment on Red Herrings, above.
Prep work takes time and planning, usually more in-game time than the actual gunplay if the players are smart. Not every shadowrun can be completed in one hour.

Yes, and much of that prep time is spent gathering information. Which is largely the province of the decker.
No, that's actually up to the GM. A good GM will allow some flexibility on bad rolls to keep the story moving so long as the players are going in the right direction.

Although I may have confused an optional rule with the standard, the fact is that no GM should allow people to make unlimited Extended Test rolls. For one, it means that anybody can do anything, given enough time. Second, it rapidly becomes boring, as both real time and in-game time is wasted with a sequence of rolls.

Now, a lot of what you said amounts to: "It's up to the GM." The problem here is that if the GM is true to the setting, the first place you should look for information should always be on the matrix. What you're saying is that if the GM ignores large chunks of the setting, he can then create a balanced game for all players. That's exactly the problem! .

Or let me put this to you: have you ever told the players that the meet is at a bar or restaurant? How many times have they done a quick matrix search on the meeting place? Smart runners do it all the time, just so they know how to dress. They don't run down contacts, they just look online. Some might go into a bit more detail: they might want to know who owns the place, what security is like, and so on and so forth. This helps forewarn them of any unpleasant surprises they might encounter. This is just something smart runners do: they check online right away.

The fact is, the best way to start looking for information is with an online search. Once you've got your general intel, you can then start narrowing down your possibilities, and then see if you have any contacts who might know something. You can't just go to all of your contacts with every question you have; in addition to the fact that most of them won't know anything, you'll probably annoy them with the pestering, and it'll end up costing you money. Besides which, people can be compromised much more quickly than a Data Search roll. Sure, a high-loyalty contact shouldn't be setting you up; but is the person he points you to as trustworthy? Also, don't you think someone might notice you rattling the shadows, looking for information? The matrix search is safer.

Now, once you've gathered your basic intel, then traditional legwork might be of help. If you know someone's connected to the Yakuza, going to an organized crime contact is going to be beneficial. But that assumes that you have an organized crime contact in the first place, *and* that you know the connection exists. To discover that connection in the first place would come as a result of a matrix search. And even once you've got your basic intel, that doesn't mean your time searching the matrix is over; there might be more clues, more information, and more confirmation waiting there. You also might want to start chasing down specific information; doing a comprehensive search means checking online as well as in the meat world.

When planning for a run, it's pretty typical to spend a lot of time doing legwork, then forming and discarding a lot of plans of attack, until you get the one you like. This means you need to get a lot of information, some of which will never be used. That in turn means you need to make a lot of Data Search rolls, which eats up time. And even then, what happens if the decker stumbles across something interesting, and decides to chase it down on his own? You've now got a solo game, while everyone else goes out for pizza.
Jhaiisiin
The issue I see is that you're allowing yourself to have the matrix aspects overrun your games. If it's honestly taking so long that your other players leave for food, then you need to reevaluate how you're handling things to keep people involved.

There are other options. You seem completely focused on the matrix side, and if that works for you, go for it.

Your stance just reinforces for me why I always make riggers and deckers/hackers npc's. It's not worth the hassle that Cain portrays.
Cain
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 27 2008, 08:30 PM) *
The issue I see is that you're allowing yourself to have the matrix aspects overrun your games. If it's honestly taking so long that your other players leave for food, then you need to reevaluate how you're handling things to keep people involved.

There are other options. You seem completely focused on the matrix side, and if that works for you, go for it.

Your stance just reinforces for me why I always make riggers and deckers/hackers npc's. It's not worth the hassle that Cain portrays.

It's not a personal issue. I've seen it come up in every SR4 game I've played in, not just the ones I've ran. That includes home games and Missions games. In fact, people leaving for food is what happened in a particular set of Missions games I was in.

It's not just me. I've heard the same complaint come from other players, and I've witnessed it personally under a number of different GMs. It is indeed much easier to simply NPC deckers, and hand out the matrix information the PC's need. The problem is, the whole point of the wireless matrix is to make deckers into viable PC's.
Jhaiisiin
Yeah, but with the idiotic levels that wireless goes to, NPC = king when it comes to matrix handling.

Were I to see it happen in my games that a player opted to play a hacker/rigger, I'd be doing everything I could to streamline the process. Heck, I might make them roll once (even on an extended test) and use the resultant hits as a base to figure out how many turns they'd need to hit the threshold. Bam, extended test done in 1 roll with minimal brainpower and time.

Additionally, I'd keep other PC's involved by having the hacker divvy up info for them to follow up on through their contacts, or to have them data search for themselves. After all, it shouldn't take a hacker to find out the dress code of the place they're meeting at. Have the GM bouncing between players as they acquire and coalesce the info. Use some handwaving to control in-game time line of events to keep it straight.

Simple fact is that if a group is excluded to do matrix stuff, then the GM isn't doing his job.
Not of this World
Look the purpose of the thread isn't on how to GM or how to home rule.

If the written books are causing people who read them directly to have these problems, then future books should probably be written a better way in the interest of the fact that there are lots of bad GMs and sometimes a home rule is unsatisfactory to some groups.

I see little point in telling other players how to play, and even less in telling them that they have a bad GM who follows the books to closely. Can we come up with an improvement to have books written better?
Cain
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 27 2008, 10:47 PM) *
Yeah, but with the idiotic levels that wireless goes to, NPC = king when it comes to matrix handling.

Were I to see it happen in my games that a player opted to play a hacker/rigger, I'd be doing everything I could to streamline the process. Heck, I might make them roll once (even on an extended test) and use the resultant hits as a base to figure out how many turns they'd need to hit the threshold. Bam, extended test done in 1 roll with minimal brainpower and time.

Additionally, I'd keep other PC's involved by having the hacker divvy up info for them to follow up on through their contacts, or to have them data search for themselves. After all, it shouldn't take a hacker to find out the dress code of the place they're meeting at. Have the GM bouncing between players as they acquire and coalesce the info. Use some handwaving to control in-game time line of events to keep it straight.

The excessive need for house rules is part of the problem I have with SR4. Most systems require some house-rules, but some games require more fixes than others.

As far as giving Data Search tasks to other players, the problem is that by the rules, you need both the skill and a program (and a sufficiently powerful commlink) to have any dice for the roll. If you're looking for anything important, you need the dice pool to pull it off. That means you need to make a significant investment in those skills and equipment in order to play second-fiddle to a decker.
Synner667
Reading the comments about searching for information indicates a real problem...
...But searching for information has always been done - so what's changed ??

Has it always caused this much of a problem ??

I don't need anything special to search the internet, regardless of the intricacy of the information, so why would I apparently need to be a specialist with special gear to do it in the future - when computers and software are supposed to be more user friendly and more powerful ??

Have search engines vanished or been retconned ?? wink.gif
BishopMcQ
It's not that search engines have vanished, as much as a glut of information and disinformation being pumped into the system. You need the data search skill and Browse program to sift through the crap.

Try typing in "Star Wars" in Google to research Reagan's satellite defense network and the socio-political reasons against it. All the tips and tricks that you use to sort out stuff from movies and Lucasfilms is your data search skill.

For public simple information such as a Dress Code at a club, the threshold should be very low and a competent person with a low rating program (dice pool of 4) could find out about it in a matter of minutes. (Just like today...) On the other hand, if you are trying to track down Rowena O'Malley's personal itinerary for the next three days, you have to access hidden databases, shadow havens etc which requires a great deal more skill and a program to negotiate and assess thousand of possibilities with appropriate filtering. (Dice pools of 8-12) Remember a dice pool of 8, means you can automatically get 16 hits on any data search, no house rules required. 16 is also the primary threshold for restricted and limited information.
Synner667
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 28 2008, 07:42 AM) *
It's not that search engines have vanished, as much as a glut of information and disinformation being pumped into the system. You need the data search skill and Browse program to sift through the crap.

Try typing in "Star Wars" in Google to research Reagan's satellite defense network and the socio-political reasons against it. All the tips and tricks that you use to sort out stuff from movies and Lucasfilms is your data search skill.

For public simple information such as a Dress Code at a club, the threshold should be very low and a competent person with a low rating program (dice pool of 4) could find out about it in a matter of minutes. (Just like today...) On the other hand, if you are trying to track down Rowena O'Malley's personal itinerary for the next three days, you have to access hidden databases, shadow havens etc which requires a great deal more skill and a program to negotiate and assess thousand of possibilities with appropriate filtering. (Dice pools of 8-12) Remember a dice pool of 8, means you can automatically get 16 hits on any data search, no house rules required. 16 is also the primary threshold for restricted and limited information.

So the internet of the future is worse than the internet of now ??

The amount of info available, and the ability to search for it are relative - to be useful, better search engines will be indexing more info.

I'm not aware that I need special software beyond a computer running a browser and an internet connection to access information on the internet, no matter how intricate or rare that info is.

If I want secret itinerary info about someone famous [as I presume she is. I've never heard of her], I'd be asking people - not randomly searching the internet.

For internet searches, a £50k super computer doesn't search much better than a £200 iPhone...
...Because the computer just queries the data gathered by search engines - I can't access information they haven't gathered.

I may have to phrase the query better or it may take a long time to finish the search [using an avatar, or just old fashioned skills], but I don't need any special software or hardware to do it.

Accessing a "hidden database" is knowing the address, not about having anything special to do so...
...Because if I need special software, I would never be available to access that info from a standard internet search anyway [accessing a sql database, or some oracle files]

And, as I said, this has always been an issue [using the internet for information gathering], but I don't recall it ever being this much of a problem...
...So what's changed ??
If new rules have made information searching on the internet longwinded and difficult for non-specialists, then that is a design flaw.
Blade
SR4 bashing/trolling is kinda like a hydra. Lock one thread, and you've got 3 of them that opens up with exactly the same content... wheeee.

I guess I'm playing SR4 wrong, because everyone seems to have fun and I can't get as many troubles as some of you seem to. I even have a hacker PC whose player loves the Matrix side of things and does a lot of Matrix actions, yet I can't seem to get the rest of the party to get bored everytime he does something.
Adarael
This has come up before.

Data Search is not "Using Google."

Data Search is a computer skill because computers are universally how you search for data in Shadowrun. Data Search covers googling, running intelligent agents, database queries, plumbing JSTOR, public archives searches, public blueprint culling from county records offices, how to read footnotes, how to cross-reference, and above all, WHERE to do all these things. Google and Google's 2070 equivalent does not have unique and total penetration to find everything you need to know. It'll often tell you where to look, but it will rarely give you in-depth data on anything but common-knowledge subjects without deep digging. That's when you have to start searching more specialized areas.

Just using google is the Browse program and an off-the-cuff keyword search.

Data Search really should have been called Research, but oh well.

Don't believe me? Find me a place in 2070 where you can't use Data Search to find something in their private database. Even antique book stores are gonna have a node witha database if they're too large to be staffed by one or two people.
Adarael
Crazy-ass double post, sorry.
hobgoblin
remember that today, google is stepping on a lot of toes grabbing data all over the place.

and there are ways to withhold data from google. robot.txt for one.

then there are access levels.

i see a public search service like google only having guest access on most systems (see unwired).

if you want to go deeper then that one would need some sort of user access.

take all the noise thats been over the year around google, archive.org and other crawlers, and then apply the most draconian rulings you can think of. thats how i see it. remember, its the corp court that rules the matrix, not individual nationals. and the corp court puts the corps first, not freedom or speech or something "silly" like that...

oh, and i would suspect that what SR4 calls data search could more accurately be described as data mining...
DreadPirateKitten
QUOTE (Smed @ Aug 27 2008, 01:19 PM) *
Attenuation is a function of power level and frequency with lower frequencies having generally better propagation than higher frequncies. Low frequency signals penetrate buildings much more easily than higher frequency signals. US AM Radio operates at around 1 MHz and can bounce off the ionosphere and be received far over the horizon, being received 100s of miles away. FM Radio operates at around 100 MHz, and propagates less well, and can still easily cover a Metropolitan area with similar power as an AM Radio transmitter.

Cellular phone services operate at around 900 MHz or 2 GHz in the US depending on the type of service, and the propagation is nowhere near as good. Area coverage is done by having multiple towers (cells) and using many transmitters to achieve wide area coverage. The power levels at each transmit site are a good bit lower than what is used at a typical radio or TV station, they make it up by having a large number of them. The reason you can receive cell service is due to a very large network of transmission equipment designed to penetrate every area that people typically get to. They don't use massive power, but many transmitters.

Not that Shadowrun has, or needs that level of complexity in the rules, but its something to think about when comparing how real life communication systems work compared to the rules.

Yes, I am aware of the intimacies, as well, thank you. I do IT for an ISP/Cable/Telco. I didnt feel the thread needed this level of detail for what was essentially a throwaway post.
Redjack
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 27 2008, 11:59 PM) *
Look the purpose of the thread isn't on how to GM
Actually it is exactly that. I considered issuing a warning to return to topic, then I reread the topic.

QUOTE (NightmareX)
Things that can be easily solved
* Lack of clarification/information on the world setting (which includes NAN and Tir treatment)
* Lack of shadowslang
* Cyberware as passe (not acceptable - this is a cyberpunk game)

Things that can kinda be solved

* WiFi inanity (to put it succinctly, why is there a computer in everything including my underwear? Why can the hacker take control of my cyberarm, and why does my non-smartlinked gun have a computer that can shut it down in it?)
* Vehicle integration (it would help - we don't even use Maneuver score)
* Edge (in that to kill anyone you essentially have to kill them a number of times equal to their edge score)

Things that can't easily be solved
* Technomancers (in the manner that they essentially are magical by the powers and fluff, and in the sense that they are somewhat overpowered)
* AI proliferation (why is every frikkin program waking up as an AI?)
* Dead plotlines
* Dead NPCs/institutions (ie Shadowland)
The solution to each of those is how you GM the setting.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2008, 10:19 PM) *
Disinformation can also be spread via people. In fact, it's easier in some cases to convince a person or three of something than it is to convince the internet at large.

I work in website marketing. I can plant a viral marketing campaign onto the Internet and have web users convinced that whatever I want them to believe (so long as it's plausible) is true. However I can keep the truth in confidence to myself and a select group of people who could then be tapped by snoops for the truth. And I'm talking about real life.

No, but according to the setting itself, it's sure as hell a good place to start looking. How would you even know someone is Bill Gates' shrink without doing a lot of legwork? Heck, you could find out who his shrink is online much faster than you could asking around; odds are that you don't have a contact who knows that sort of thing offhand.

You're complaining that hackers have too much power in information gathering in the game and when I offer you alternatives you complain about it being too much work for the runners. You're not even trying to meet me halfway on this or trying to think outside the box, you're just complaining. This thread is about compromise.

Unless you're playing a Missions game, or On The Run, the published adventures. Frequently, there's a lot of information that's most easily discovered via matrix. In fact, in On The Run, you have to have a decker do some of the legwork, since it'll involve backtracking an email. In other words, if you're playing true to the setting, you have to leave certain clues online.

When a GM takes a pre-published adventure like On The Run or a Missions campaign and only uses what's presented, he's going to screw himself and his players. The adventure authors can't think of every possible thing a theoretical player could do. I had to do a lot of on-the-fly adjustments to move the players in the right direction when I did On The Run including some trickery on my part. This is part of being a good GM.

As you said, that'd take more time and money. Besides which, it's common practice to do a matrix search on your target before you stake them out. Just knowing certain things (like the neighborhood security rating) can give you a lot of help before you go in.

And I also said not every Shadowrun can be completed in an hour with a free Matrix check as the sole means of information gathering.

See your own comment on Red Herrings, above.

I'm not going to jerk my players around unless it's part of my overall plan as GM. And there would be a point to it, I wouldn't do it to mess with their heads in a bad way.

Yes, and much of that prep time is spent gathering information. Which is largely the province of the decker.

Or the face. Or the bounty hunter. Or the guy who happens to know someone who knows someone who works in the target corporation. The province of the hacker is data manipulation, information warfare, and the like not just to be the team's reference librarian.

Although I may have confused an optional rule with the standard, the fact is that no GM should allow people to make unlimited Extended Test rolls. For one, it means that anybody can do anything, given enough time. Second, it rapidly becomes boring, as both real time and in-game time is wasted with a sequence of rolls.

Think seriously for a second about how much time it takes to roll dice. A minute at most. No, it doesn't mean anybody could do anything as a good GM would curb that once it became detrimental to the tone of the game. Sometimes decisions need to be made that are good for the game overall. Of course a bad dice roll can ruin things but c'est la vie. That's RPGing.

Now, a lot of what you said amounts to: "It's up to the GM." The problem here is that if the GM is true to the setting, the first place you should look for information should always be on the matrix. What you're saying is that if the GM ignores large chunks of the setting, he can then create a balanced game for all players. That's exactly the problem!

As a GM I disagree and I doubt that I'm alone in this. The Matrix and real-life contacts are equally important in information gathering which is backed up by the very tone of the Shadowrun setting. Rick Deckard did footwork in Blade Runner along with data examination. So did Johnny Mnemonic and all the other cyberpunk film protagonists out there.

Or let me put this to you: have you ever told the players that the meet is at a bar or restaurant? How many times have they done a quick matrix search on the meeting place? Smart runners do it all the time, just so they know how to dress. They don't run down contacts, they just look online. Some might go into a bit more detail: they might want to know who owns the place, what security is like, and so on and so forth. This helps forewarn them of any unpleasant surprises they might encounter. This is just something smart runners do: they check online right away.

It also takes two minutes to make a phone call to a contact. If there was no reasonable appropriate contact in the time needed then I'd allow a fudged Matrix test to keep the game moving. That's part of being a GM. Cheating to keep the game moving but not letting your players know as that would take away from their sense of accomplishment. I do it all the time and my players are happy but challenged when appropriate.

The fact is, the best way to start looking for information is with an online search. Once you've got your general intel, you can then start narrowing down your possibilities, and then see if you have any contacts who might know something. You can't just go to all of your contacts with every question you have; in addition to the fact that most of them won't know anything, you'll probably annoy them with the pestering, and it'll end up costing you money. Besides which, people can be compromised much more quickly than a Data Search roll. Sure, a high-loyalty contact shouldn't be setting you up; but is the person he points you to as trustworthy? Also, don't you think someone might notice you rattling the shadows, looking for information? The matrix search is safer.

Now, once you've gathered your basic intel, then traditional legwork might be of help. If you know someone's connected to the Yakuza, going to an organized crime contact is going to be beneficial. But that assumes that you have an organized crime contact in the first place, *and* that you know the connection exists. To discover that connection in the first place would come as a result of a matrix search. And even once you've got your basic intel, that doesn't mean your time searching the matrix is over; there might be more clues, more information, and more confirmation waiting there. You also might want to start chasing down specific information; doing a comprehensive search means checking online as well as in the meat world.

When planning for a run, it's pretty typical to spend a lot of time doing legwork, then forming and discarding a lot of plans of attack, until you get the one you like. This means you need to get a lot of information, some of which will never be used. That in turn means you need to make a lot of Data Search rolls, which eats up time. And even then, what happens if the decker stumbles across something interesting, and decides to chase it down on his own? You've now got a solo game, while everyone else goes out for pizza.

What happens if a street samurai decides he wants to go on a personal revenge quest when the rest of the team is supposed to be involved in an extraction? A good GM would keep that player on task or say, "okay, you can do that but the rest of the team wants to do something else so you're going to need to sideline that for the time being because I can't run two adventures at once". I wouldn't allow a powerful hacker to go hog-wild at the expense of boredom for the rest of the players. You can't stick to the letter of the rules and ignore the spirit of the rules which allows for a fun time for all. If a GM running On The Run or a Missions story only sticks to what's printed rather than just using it as a guide and doesn't allow any wiggle room, well, he's a bad GM. Yes, he needs to do what the rules say but when the rules get in the way they need to be fudged around a bit until they can be put in play again. Hopefully a good GM is like a good judge and knows when it's appropriate to do this. It's got nothing to do with house rules or any of that nonsense, it's just good RPGing.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 28 2008, 12:59 AM) *
I see little point in telling other players how to play, and even less in telling them that they have a bad GM who follows the books to closely. Can we come up with an improvement to have books written better?

Other than what's been listed in the errata the core rule books are fine when used with reason and discretion by player and GM alike. On the Run was pretty poorly written so I'd say that's a fair statement there. Emergence was just plot.
tete
So what I gather from this whole thread so far that we can all agree on is Catalyst needs to write future missions in such a way that decker/hacker != win. There need to be reasonable alternatives to data searching or at leased don't allow data searches to find everything.
Grinder
I don't think that we all agree on that. That's dumpshock, after all. grinbig.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (tete @ Aug 28 2008, 11:16 AM) *
So what I gather from this whole thread so far that we can all agree on is Catalyst needs to write future missions in such a way that decker/hacker != win. There need to be reasonable alternatives to data searching or at leased don't allow data searches to find everything.

I think it's implied in the rules but it could be emphasized more. So I agree with this statement. smile.gif I've been working my way through SR Missions and converting 3rd ed to 4th. In the Kethers Building smash 'n grab mission the info gathering section states that only knowledgeable contacts can provide certain bits of data. That kind of thinking needs to be carried over to 4th ed published adventures as many players and GMs will need this stuff spelled out for them.
BishopMcQ
Quoted from the Missions:
Legwork
When a PC gets in touch with a contact, make a Connection + Connection test for the contact. The results of this test will
determine how many ranks of information the contact knows about the question. (Apply die modifiers to this test based upon
relevance of the contact to the subject matter.) A PC then makes a test of Charisma + Etiquette + Loyalty rating. The
contact will reveal that many levels of information about that topic for free. (Up to the number of hits scored by the contact for
that topic.) If the contact knows more, additional information will require a payment to the contact of 50¥ * TR.
If the PCs have worked all of their contacts, and are still missing important information, they may ask a contact to ask
around. If they do so, have the Contact make an extended (Connection + Connection (20 minutes)) test. Additional
information will be available at a cost of 200¥ * TR.
A Data Search may also be utilized to gather information from the following charts. They may only make a number of Logic +
Data Search rolls times equal to their dice pool (SR4 p.58). Hits on this extended test may be substituted per the standard Data
Search chart (SR4 p.220).

Please, before you go around saying that Missions only provide a single way to solve Legwork, read the actual text.

Edit: This was pulled from one of our Denver Missions. The New York Missions have similar text. Additionally, in SRM 03-00, there are ways to get information for money or by doing simple favors for people. Stats are also provided to allow the team to do everything themselves if they don't want to use the contact provided in the Mission.
Wesley Street
I wasn't speaking for 4th Ed. Denver or NYC, as I haven't played them. However in the 3rd ed. SRM01-02 Strings Attached Mission under legwork:
The information here is available to the runners through standard legwork. It is broken up into various targeted sections. Each section outlines the appropriate contacts, skills, abilities, or other special means of obtaining the information, as well as any requirements from the character. More successes either can be used for presenting more information or letting the character know the information is more reliable.

Then it gives the examples of The Kethers Building - Contacts, Public Research, Matrix Research and Security - Contacts.

Like I said, I haven't played Denver yet so as it seems that this has been rectified I apologize for any misleading information I may have unintentionally provided.

Additionally, in SRM 03-00, there are ways to get information for money or by doing simple favors for people.

Which is what I stated several posts up about SR in general.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012