Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teleportation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Daylen
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 28 2010, 08:37 PM) *
A lot of this topic has become tl;dr for me, as it often does when dumpshock does it's usual thing. Nevertheless, whether or not teleportation is possible, with magic or technology or rubber tubing, let us consider this. If point-to-point instantaneous teleportation is impossible/ridiculous/upsetting, what about making wormholes? What if you made a spell which took part of the space of one location and stretched it to another, so you could step from point-to-point, not instantaneously, but a lot quicker. Much the same way as EVERY SINGLE PHYSICIST ON TV likes to bend pieces of paper to represent spacetime. (Seriously, show me a physicist who talks about spacetime and doesn't use that analogy.)

only the ones living in their own heads. Those do seem to be the ones that get on TV though...

The problem with that analogy is that it is used because it is a solution to general relativity, which by itself lends credence, but when one actually considers the solution the problem eliminates the solution as possible. That solution requires the existence of negative mass (I think it can work with imaginary mass as well). Negative mass would violate in all the worst ways the laws of thermodynamics because it would create energy and create it at a stupid high rate. What that means is there is no solution to general relativity that has wormholes or anything like them.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 28 2010, 07:00 PM) *
And that's the Astral Gateway Spirit Power right there in effect.
Dunno if it's possible to make a quick detour via the metaplanes . .

Not familiar with the metamagic. How does it work?
Badmoodguy88
The reason traveling at the speed of light is that a the speed of light time has stopped but you are still moving so in no time at all you will travel everywhere in the universe simoltaniusly. In theory anyway.

Some guy did try to crunch the math how much energy it would take to fold space and travel across the stars. Gravity bends space and mass= energy • the speedof light squared. The number he came up with was something like the power of a billion suns. Maybe one day we will find a lower power option.

IceKatze
hi hi

"Causality, Relativity, FTL travel: chose any two."

Of course teleportation could propagate slower than the speed of light, but even then you have the problem of: "I have line of sight with this other planet using my huge space telescope, I teleport there."
jakephillips
Nope no teleportation....
I guess I will have to settle for a T bird or Chopper that is being pushed to super super sonic speed with the movement power of a huge air spirit and make it across the UCAS in less than half an hour.
That is a close as you are going to get.
Badmoodguy88
A free spirit Player Characters in a few complex action go from anywhere they are to any where they have been (but not other places). I think this bypasses astral wards (which are not an insurmountable barrier anyway). Think about the implications of this not being possible. If a mage were with in wards that were not his they could not summon bound spirits to them from outside the barrier. And if normal spirits are not just hanging around in astral waiting to be summoned, and not on their home meta-planes then it should prevent summoning all together. They would also act as a barrier for the mage from getting to the meta-planes (admittedly something they don't need to do often). Also you know that mentor spirit whispering in your ear? Assuming it is not totally a figment of your imagination or resides semi permanently in your head then getting cut off from the meta-planes would render that connection temporarily severed. Basically it is a ridiculous notion.

Using astral gate to slip into the meta planes and then back into real life seems a bit cheap to me but it probably would work at least for getting to places you have already been. It it probably nearly impossible to conceal an astral gate, which brings its own problem.
on a different note...
QUOTE (jakephillips @ Jul 29 2010, 04:13 AM) *
Nope no teleportation....
I guess I will have to settle for a T bird or Chopper that is being pushed to super super sonic speed with the movement power of a huge air spirit and make it across the UCAS in less than half an hour.
That is a close as you are going to get.

I looked up the fastest plane that currently exists to see if it was multiplied by 20 (an insane number for a spirit) if it would be faster than light.
The Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird" is an advanced, long range, Mach 3+.

mach 3 = 1,020.87 m / s
the speed of light = 299,792,458 m / s
so not even remotely close
Since 1976, it has held the world record for the fastest air breathing manned aircraft, a record previously held by the YF-12.

Although equipped with defensive electronic countermeasures, the SR-71's greatest protection was its high top speed, which made it almost invulnerable to the attack technologies of the time; over the course of its service life, not one was shot down, despite over 4,000 attempts to do so. All the pilot had to do when a SAM was fired was to accelerate.[30]

awesome love.gif
Hagga
QUOTE (Gast @ Oct 1 2008, 09:32 PM) *
IEs and GDs can do it but you can't!

I base my ranty answer on the Earthdawn Gate spells available for high-ranking Mages.
At least I think it was Mages.
And maybe it wasn't Teleportation.

Pretty much. And it's more a method of moving through astral space. Which is a really quick way to have something big and nasty sodomize you astrally.
darthmord
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 28 2010, 03:37 PM) *
A lot of this topic has become tl;dr for me, as it often does when dumpshock does it's usual thing. Nevertheless, whether or not teleportation is possible, with magic or technology or rubber tubing, let us consider this. If point-to-point instantaneous teleportation is impossible/ridiculous/upsetting, what about making wormholes? What if you made a spell which took part of the space of one location and stretched it to another, so you could step from point-to-point, not instantaneously, but a lot quicker. Much the same way as EVERY SINGLE PHYSICIST ON TV likes to bend pieces of paper to represent spacetime. (Seriously, show me a physicist who talks about spacetime and doesn't use that analogy.)

SM states that Sorcery cannot affect the fabric of Space/Time. So using a spell to bend or otherwise manipulate the fabric of reality in such a manner is not possible (ever or as of yet, the jury is still out).

But set up a location that reaches to another location (much like a highway does) and uses magic to speed up travel between the two points? It's certainly doable.

In fact, it gives me an idea for a new run. A rogue scientist claims to have figured out teleportation (it's actually just travel at stupidly fast speeds). Due to that, he's got grandiose plans for creating a society where magic powers everything for the benefit of mankind.
Stahlseele
Doesn't Movement simply change the world so you can move through it faster without problems?
And the Astral Gateway Power is a Big Spirit form Power that allows physical bodies(even with less than 1 essence) to enter the astral plane.
And there travel at ludicrou speed. And then you use it a second time to get out at your stop.
Lanlaorn
Movement has to do more than just reduce friction, eliminate drag on a person and they're not going to suddenly run 10x faster

Astral Gateway doesn't let you enter the astral plane, it allows Astral Projection. If it did work that way you wouldn't even need to travel in the astral at ludicrous speed, since the power states the spirit can open the gateway into a metaplane, and thus you could just do a metaplanar shortcut and in 3 seconds be anywhere in the world the spirit has been before. So at the moment only beings who can assume an astral form, i.e. no meat body left behind, can teleport via metaplanar shortcut. Which is basically just spirits.

Astral Gateway
Type: M • Action: Complex • Range: LOS (A) • Duration: Sustained
The spirit can open an astral rift (p. 116), forcing all physical
objects within the area to be dual natured, as well as allowing
even mundanes to astrally project. The astral rift can connect to
any metaplane the spirit can visit itself (so while a fire elemental
can probably open a rift to the Plane of Fire, it probably can’t
open a rift to The Hive).

Quoting the power to show that it makes a clear distinction that it only allows Astral Projection, not transforming everyone into an astral form.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 29 2010, 10:16 AM) *
Doesn't Movement simply change the world so you can move through it faster without problems?
And the Astral Gateway Power is a Big Spirit form Power that allows physical bodies(even with less than 1 essence) to enter the astral plane.
And there travel at ludicrou speed. And then you use it a second time to get out at your stop.

Uhm, so it is a Spirit power. Anyway a mage could learn it?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 29 2010, 03:35 PM) *
Movement has to do more than just reduce friction, eliminate drag on a person and they're not going to suddenly run 10x faster

Astral Gateway doesn't let you enter the astral plane, it allows Astral Projection. If it did work that way you wouldn't even need to travel in the astral at ludicrous speed, since the power states the spirit can open the gateway into a metaplane, and thus you could just do a metaplanar shortcut and in 3 seconds be anywhere in the world the spirit has been before. So at the moment only beings who can assume an astral form, i.e. no meat body left behind, can teleport via metaplanar shortcut. Which is basically just spirits.

Quoting the power to show that it makes a clear distinction that it only allows Astral Projection, not transforming everyone into an astral form.

Hmm . . curious . . i thought it worked differently O.o
Maybe i am getting something mixed up here again <.<
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jul 29 2010, 03:37 PM) *
Uhm, so it is a Spirit power. Anyway a mage could learn it?

Learn? No.
Get? Yes.
Endowment from a spirit with the Endowment Power and the Astral Gateway Power.
Brazilian_Shinobi
So, if a magician learned a metamagic that allowed him to transform its body into astral "matter", they could "teleport", right?
Is there a metamagic that turns the Magician into a dual-natured creature? It would be a good pre-requisite.
Stahlseele
Infect him with HMHVV
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 29 2010, 11:22 AM) *
Infect him with HMHVV

LOL! This is too much Star Warsy for my Shadowrun I think, the whole "embrace the Dark Side" to get more powah!!1111!!!11™
Johnny B. Good
So let's say that Dunkie opened an astral rift to the metaplanes. And then Dunkie's brother Gostwalker decided he was going to open another Astral rift to the metaplanes flush with the other gate in the metaplanes, but in a different spot in the meat world.

Viola, you have a stargate.

Seriously though, I could see an entire series of runs for a magical group trying to achieve astral rifts for this purpose, as well as metaplanar access for mundanes. Of course, that also leads to a lot of Fun like flooding the office with fire spirits.

EDIT: And then 4/5 through the campaign they figure out they're working for Blood Mages. Or Insect Shamans. Take your pick.
Stahlseele
Take your pig.

Fixed that for you.
Lanlaorn
Regarding the Movement power: A spirit can effortlessly sustain it on you for a service so you don't actually need to be able to cast the power yourself.

Regarding metaplanar shortcut for player characters: Being Dual Natured doesn't help at all, you need to have (or take on) an Astral Form. I'm not familiar with Free Spirit characters but unless they're artificially limited they should be able to do it, and no one else AFAIK. For the idea of a custom metamagic with a prerequisite of being dual natured, anytime you're astrally perceiving you are dual natured, there's no need for HMHVV

Edit: Yea I checked it out, Free Spirit PCs can teleport as effortlessly as any other spirit:

Each free spirit has a home metaplane. While no longer a
permanent address, the spirit still has ties to this home and may
travel from astral space to its native metaplane with a Complex
Action. It may return to astral space at any point on Earth that it
has previously visited with a Complex Action, unless it has been
disrupted (see Free Spirit Health, below) or banished. Note that
starting this trip when materialized takes an extra Complex Action
to return to astral space (leaving any physical objects behind), and
another to materialize again after returning to Earth.
Platinum
Although teleportation has been taboo, we have discussed it in our group at length, and didn't really see any issue with it. We slapped a heavy drain, limitation to wards, and a LOS limitation. That kills most of the game breaking mechanics right there, and since most mages have levitate/invisibility, they can basically get there anyhow. If a mage required a straight path to get somewhere, moving at 1/2 the speed of light would still appear to be instantaneous to us. Although there would be a sonic boom or shockware upon re-entry. As a GM, I don't see a problem with teleportation. Also if the players have it .... that means NPC's can have it.

Heck I don't even see a problem with a create food spell since it could take energy from a metaplane in order to make matter here on earth.

Raise dead spells we haven't considered.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 29 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Regarding the Movement power: A spirit can effortlessly sustain it on you for a service so you don't actually need to be able to cast the power yourself.

Regarding metaplanar shortcut for player characters: Being Dual Natured doesn't help at all, you need to have (or take on) an Astral Form. I'm not familiar with Free Spirit characters but unless they're artificially limited they should be able to do it, and no one else AFAIK. For the idea of a custom metamagic with a prerequisite of being dual natured, anytime you're astrally perceiving you are dual natured, there's no need for HMHVV

Edit: Yea I checked it out, Free Spirit PCs can teleport as effortlessly as any other spirit:

My point with being dual-natured is that it seems like a logical/sensible step in transforming your physical body into astral matter ASSUMING this is possible in the first place.
Jaid
as i usually do (and possibly have already, in this thread) i'm going to point out that there is a restriction on sorcery when it comes to teleportation, not magic per se. that is all.
Tech_Rat
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 28 2010, 03:37 PM) *

Guilty as implied. I do that all the time with my friends, trying to explain why somethings just don't work that way... Never bring it up in a D&D game... Characters die quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012