Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you Awakened?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tanka
I'm sure it's been done before, but I just wanted to know what you think you'll be.

Personally, I see myself as either a regular Adept or an Adept (Magician's Way - Mage).

Yes. I'm bored. biggrin.gif
Zazen
I'd be a Loser Shaman frown.gif
GunnerJ
Loser

ENV: Parent's basement

DESC: Loser is slow to act, quick to whine, and usually knows less about what he's talking about than he thinks. Loser typically latches onto some obscure area of interest, be it science fiction, role-playing games, or anime; and spends every free minute of his time studying or taking part in that activity. Loser Shamans tend to be reclusive, rarely socializing and even then only with others who share his or her obsessions.

There are no aspected Loser Shamanists, only full Loser shamans or Loser socerery/conjuring adepts.

ADVAN: Loser Shamans pick one spell category and spirit type and get three bonus dice for that category. TNs -1 for all magical skill tests when using the materials or merchandising of his or her obsession interest (see disadvantages).

DISADVAN: -1 Dice for all spells and spirits for which the shaman does not get a bonus. All TNs +2 in the presence of the opposite sex. Must have an obsure interest knowledge skill at at least rating 5, this is the shaman's obsession interest..
Herald of Verjigorm
Lousy mortals, not including an "other" category.
Tanka
Silly Horrors.
Herald of Verjigorm
Just cause I'm the only Dark-Bringer in this hemisphere, you insist on discriminating against us.
Tanka
Exactly!
Yum Donuts
Herald, I'd suggest running in the next presidential race. Why vote for a lesser evil?
Phaeton
I'm mundane and I'm happy. Chrome all the way for me, baby. biggrin.gif
Tanka
If you live long enough to get the good stuff. vegm.gif
Siege
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Just cause I'm the only Dark-Bringer in this hemisphere, you insist on discriminating against us.

Apparently I kept thinking about the "overwatch" thread cause when I first saw this, I saw: "Dark Banger."

-Siege
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
Herald, I'd suggest running in the next presidential race. Why vote for a lesser evil?

I was thinking of: "Power corrupts. Since I'm already corrupt, you know what to expect when I get the power." Maybe I could use them both in different scenarios.
John Campbell
As the polls currently stand.... approximately 47% of you are overrating yourselves.
Cray74
Gee...I didn't see my most probable state in the poll: "Gibbering in a fetal position and trying to find a 'happy place.'"

So I'll vote "Mundane."
Tanka
Not so, John. Some people may have reasoning behind their choices.

I tend to pick up on martial arts quickly. This would coincide well with an Adept. The Magician's Way - Mage is an add-on because, if I were to actually go Magician's Way, it would be Mage and not Shaman. Why? Because I don't see nature as living, but as a force of things to understand and control.

Besides. This is a "What if" thing. What if all of us Dumpshockers Awakened. What if SR is real. So on and so forth.

It's just mean to start telling people that they overestimate themselves. Not like you know them or anything, right?
Playing Games
I'll be a magic people,voodoo people!
Diesel
Well DSF seems to buck the average by more than 52%.
Foreigner
Hmm....

Herald of Verjigorm's post reminds me of a bumper sticker I first heard about in high school--must've been around the time of the 1980 Presidential election, or the campaign leading up to it. (Yup--I'll be 40 on May 30th of this year. smile.gif I'm not complaining. Some folks thought my twin brother and I wouldn't live more than six months.... Guess we showed them. biggrin.gif )

DARTH VADER for President--for people who are SICK AND TIRED of voting for THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS!

biggrin.gif

--Foreigner
Fortune
I've seen the same bumper sticker, and button for that matter. I've also seen them with Sauron's name in place of Vader's. smile.gif

And you are not the oldest, or even second-oldest Dumpshocker. wink.gif
Siege
Bah! Cthulhu!

-Siege
Fortune
Cthulhu is too busy with his day job as aa anime tentacle monster.
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
Cthulhu is too busy with his day job as aa anime tentacle monster.

I think that makes him more evil, not less.

-Siege
Fortune
Maybe so, but he makes more money, and probably influences more people doing what he's doing than he would as President. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
If Shadowrunners tend to have a much higher percentage of the Awakened than society at large, why shouldn't Dumpshock?

~J
toturi
Wow, lookies here. No full mages!
Kagetenshi
See? Finally an answer as to whether aspected mages or full mages are more common! grinbig.gif

~J
Fortune
Yep, it looks like full spellcasters are more common that aspected, at least at the present. wink.gif
Sahandrian
I had trouble deciding. I'm either some sort of shaman, or a decker. Possibly both. So I just went with "both" and chose an aspected shaman.

Mainly cause I'm weird. I stay on the computer as much as possible, occasionally apply computer terms to real life (last week I was looking for something in my room and was about to reach for a nonexistant keyboard to type in a search before I realized what I was doing...), and like to sleep on the floor in 20-minute intervals.

And if you're weird enough, then you're a decker or a shaman. It just works that way.
Austere Emancipator
GunnerJ: I'd have picked Shaman just based on the Loser Idol (Totem?), but that'd still have meant I was good at something, which is obviously false.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If Shadowrunners tend to have a much higher percentage of the Awakened than society at large, why shouldn't Dumpshock?

There are more Awakened shadowrunners because shadowrunning requires (or at least greatly rewards) the kinds of special abilities possessed by the Awakened. This is not the case with Dumpshock, except perhaps when it comes to some Detection spells and the Divination metamagic (but only as much as those would be rewarded by any facet of modern life).

Additionally, the Awakened are not drawn to shadowrunning before their Awakening, and (AFAIK) there's absolutely no way of telling beforehand whether someone will Awaken. The only kind of reasoning that would make sense is some kind of native background (native American, native Australian, native Laplander, native Irish, etc, or whatever the PC terms are). I haven't read anything about roleplayers, computer-people or martial artists experiencing above-average levels of Awakenings.
Crusher Bob
According to the board stats we have 4787 registered members, which means that we can expect a population of 47 or 48 magically active people. (They still use the 1% are magically active, yes?)
Fortune
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
...and (AFAIK) there's absolutely no way of telling beforehand whether someone will Awaken.

Actually, I believe there are standardized tests to determine this very thing in the Sixth World.
Austere Emancipator
Ooo! Any word on what those tests are based on? Is it totally genetic?

That won't help us sorry 5th world dumpshockers one bit though. And I doubt those tests have questions like: "Do you play RPGs?", "Are you good at martial arts?" or "Do you believe in a magic-like force in the universe?"
Fortune
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Ooo! Any word on what those tests are based on? Is it totally genetic?

I have no clue. All I really know about them is that they are usually administered by Corps (who else!).
Squire
The SR novel Burning Bright talks a little about standardised magical ability testing in the NAN when the main character was a child (this occurs early in the novel).

It implies that the tests can determine if you have magical ability and what the slant of that ability is (IE: mage, shaman, or adapt but NOT totem). The novel does not mention or imply how the testing is conducted or what exactly is examined.

I can't cite a source, but I have the impression from somewhere that 2060s technology/knowledge/magic theory has not found a genetic code (at least in metahumans) that equates to magical ability. Maybe someone can help me out on that one.
Sphynx
I know I'll be a Sorcerer Shaman, and then I'll show you... I'll show ALL of you by Fireballing all your parent's basements. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Kagetenshi
Careful, there are three reactors in mine.
'Sides, that's a pretty high-force Fireball, don't you think?

~J
Tanka
Well he is a munchkin. What else would we expect? biggrin.gif
Req
Ya know, I'd love to be a hermetic, but the odds say I'm a mundane. Ah well. I'll be off at sea in 2011 anyway, so if I end up awakening I hope it's not too distracting. smile.gif

Chances are it's a Sea shaman anyway.
Traks
I'll be a full mage. There are so many wussies who want to be mind controlled,
so I'll help them to fulfill it.
Kagetenshi
Traks, breaking magical law since before it was written.

~J
Reaver
It's intresting that Mundanes have the highest vote. Goes right along with the "more mundanes per magically active" rule in the game. smile.gif
DV8
I think it has to do with a) modesty and b) a lack of imagination to envision yourself in that type of situation. At least, that was why I voted to be a mundane. I mean, I can imagine my character being a magically active person, but when I try to imagine it for myself it becomes significantly harder. smile.gif
Traks
Kagetenshi, that's the beauty of rules lawyerism smile.gif
Oh, and those 3 reactors could be put to most effective use.

DV8 - I have always voted for intellectual work, being somewhat lazy,
I mean effective. So it is not hard to think for myself as mage.
Req
DV8, I'd go with "modesty" over "inability to imagine." Just like the "not giving myself a 12 in assault rifles" debate we have all the time. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Oh, the three reactors are being put to good use. Only two at a time, though; gotta service them sometime.

~J
Grey
Mundane. I'd be a Decker/Face. wink.gif
Foreigner
I never claimed to be, Fortune. smile.gif

I just decided to be honest about it, since I knew that I'd be, as the saying goes, "dating myself" by mentioning that I was old enough to remember that bumper sticker.

--Foreigner
Fahr
Some of us are already following the Shamanic path in real life... say what you will but there is enough magic in the 5th world to do some magic... just don't expect it to be flashy.

-Mike R.
Hot Wheels
hopelessly mundane
Cochise
Mundane, but with the firm belief of secretly being a psionic ... Unfortunately that belief will eventually kill me, simply because some ganger decides to blow out my brains after I try to "convince" him that "he doesn't really want to mug me" ...
"You think you're some type of Jedi or what?" *bang*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012