Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20th Edition Errata
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Xerxos
Vision Sensors and Imaging Devices (p. 332) have a capacity, but Vision Enhancements(p. 333) have no capacity cost
Rotbart van Dainig
p. 331: The costs in the Sillsofts Table are missing the ¥
Unnamed Technomancer
for the sprites on page 242 there are no Res (Resonance) attribute listed. that is in line with the BBB but not with Unwired
pbangarth
QUOTE (Adam @ Mar 17 2009, 12:30 AM) *
The rest will be fun to hunt down! For that special brand of InDesign fun.

I'm using InDesign for my doctoral dissertation. I feel for you.
Muspellsheimr
The Night Shift story is difficult to read. I suggest changing the text color to something with more contrast to the green background.
Prime Mover
Anyone mention the gear section under Street Sami? false ID's and there ratings are broken up by a list of gear and wired reflexes is listed in both gear and augmentations.
Sphinx
QUOTE (Xerxos @ Mar 17 2009, 01:39 PM) *
Vision Sensors and Imaging Devices (p. 332) have a capacity, but Vision Enhancements(p. 333) have no capacity cost

QUOTE (SR4 20th Anniversary Core Rulebook)
The ratings of vision sensors and imaging devices equals the number of vision enhancements that can be applied to the device. (p. 332)
Prime Mover
Naroject mentioned as being used with dart guns. Still no such weapons stated for SR4 outside of mouth dart correct?

Edit: I stand corrected, dart weapons included !
Method
Don't know if this has been noted yet:

Page 296 under Innate Spell Power: redundant statements about drain.
Falconer
Hmm a quick search on 'airburst' has shown no relevant hits.

P322. Accessories, reduces scatter from 3d6 to 1d6 for both rockets & gl's.
p325. reiterates rocket/missiles w/ airburst reduce scatter to 1d6
p155. Scatter Chart. A flat 2d6-1(-sensor rating) for everything.
p155. airburst grenades only roll 2d6 for scatter

It doesn't make sense as a modifier reducing (3d6-2hit)-(2d6-1hit)=(1d6-1hit).
Also the scatter table looks well just wrong... 4d6-1 per net hit renders most rockets completely useless (especially the anti-vehicles w/ -4/m reduction).

My gut suggests to me that the combat section might be wrong. As the equipment section is actually playable. Go ahead use a LAW, I dare you w/o airburst or anything at 4d6-1hit scatter... even w/ a godly dice pool almost no one is ever hitting anything w/ an RPG or even getting close.

Considering how EXPENSIVE rockets are (more expensive than many guns just for a single Anti-vehicle round). I'd say they better at least be effective. Especially since heavy weapons pools are normally lesser than firearms pools.
Draco18s
I saw this over in the other thread and didn't think anything of it, but 4d6 -1 per hit -[Sensor Rating] still gives you...

4d6-4-3*

Or...about....2d6 scatter uncompensated (7 is the average on two dice).

*Sensor 6 rockets are balls expensive, even at sensor 6 you're looking at roughly 1d6+3 scatter.
Falconer
Draco: and anti-vehicle rockets lose -4DV per meter... which means even with a 1d6-1/hit airburst link.

You really need a good 3 net hits to score a direct hit on any vehicle, just from the random deviation let alone the competing test against the vehicle not to get hit. Translation you typically need 3 net hits just to hit an unaware non-dodging vehicle... god help you if the vehicle has a competent driver trying to avoid getting hit.

Hence why I suspect the table in the combat section is in error.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Falconer @ Mar 22 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Draco: and anti-vehicle rockets lose -4DV per meter...

I wasn't even factoring that in. I was doing the math to find the average scatter based on an average number of hits (leaning towards good, so I picked 4). Blast size doesn't matter a whole lot if you're always going to be missing by up to 10 meters (i.e. roughly the size of a frag grenade's effect).
Larsine
p282 CorpSec Lieutenant:
Wrong: Condition Monitor Boxes: 10 (includes +1 box for cyberarm)
Right: Condition Monitor Boxes: 10
He has no cyberarm, wich fits with his Essence=6.
But he has Body=3 and Willpower=4, which gives him CM=10 in any case.

p283 Tir Ghosts
Wrong: Thermographic Smoke Grenade
Right: Thermal Smoke Grenade

p304 Great Dragons
Wrong: Skills: Conjuring 8, Flight 6, Sorcery 12
Right: Skills: Conjuring Skill Group 8, Flight 6, Sorcery Skill Group 12

p311 Physical Searches
What if someone pats your character down, looking for contraband? In this case, the searching character makes an Agility + Intuition Test, and Concealability modifiers only apply at half their value (round down).

That actually means it is easyer to spot a katana (+6), than to find it with a physical search (+3)

p314 Common Costs:
Rail fare 0.2¥ per 1 km
Bus fare 0.1¥ per 1 km
Bus/Rail 1-month pass 250¥

These three should no be tabbed under "Air travel"

p318 Ares Viper Slivergun
Wrong: AP +2
Right: AP +5

p318 Remington Roomsweeper w/ flechettes
+5 should be tabbed one more column

p320 Remington 990 w/ flechettes

p328 Accessory table
Wrong: Modifi ed for BTL/hot sim
Right: Modified for BTL/hot sim

p330 Tag Eraser
Wrong: The eraser cannot burn out security RFID chips (p. 329).
Right: The eraser cannot burn out security RFID tags (p. 329).

p332 Tools
Wrong: Shops and facilities both are stocked with standard spare parts.
Right: Shops and facilities are both stocked with standard spare parts.

p345 Cyber Microgrenade Launcher
Wrong: Blast -2/meter
Right: As grenade

Lars

Larsine
p15 1st column, 3rd paragraph:
Wrong: In the harsh reality of 2070 where profit is the most important
Right: In the harsh reality of 2072 where profit is the most important

p15 1st column, 5th paragraph:
Wrong: dystopian near-future of 2070
Right: dystopian near-future of 2072

p18 2nd column, 5th paragraph:
Wrong: Security in 2070 has become an art form
Right: Security in 2072 has become an art form

Lars
Larsine
QUOTE (Xerxos @ Mar 17 2009, 01:39 PM) *

Ditto for the Audio Sensors and Audio Enhancements (p333).

Lars
Larsine
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 18 2009, 03:25 PM) *
Anyone mention the gear section under Street Sami? false ID's and there ratings are broken up by a list of gear and wired reflexes is listed in both gear and augmentations.

That is the gear that the False ID is for:

So it should be understood as:
Fake Licens (rating 4, for Ares Predator IV #1)
Fake Licens (rating 4, for Ares Predator IV #2)
Fake Licens (rating 4, for Katana)
Fake Licens (rating 4, for Ingram Smartgun X)
Fake Licens (rating 4, for Wired Reflexes)

Lars
Prime Mover
p320 Remington 990 w/ flechettes

If the weapon has a natural -1AP before applying weapon DV wouldn't this negative still affect the (f) rounds?

Making it a +4 AP
Larsine
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 24 2009, 02:05 PM) *
If the weapon has a natural -1AP before applying weapon DV wouldn't this negative still affect the (f) rounds?

Making it a +4 AP

That would be the logical way to do it, but it is not the way it is done with other weapons:

QUOTE (SR4A page 318)
Remington Roomsweeper –1 AP
w/flechettes +5 AP

Lars
Larsine
I've found countless places where 2070 should have been updatet to 2072, at least to fit with the backcover which states "The year is 2072" and with page 18 which states "Shadowrun is set only sixty-three years in the future".

But don't do a simple search and replace, since som places actually should be 2070, and some are 2070s which is OK.

Having a mix of 2070 and 2072 is confusing and not very logical.

Lars
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 24 2009, 10:40 AM) *
That is the gear that the False ID is for:

It's too detailed, anyway - Licences in SR4 are pretty abstract and can cover whole categories, p. 313.
Larsine
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 25 2009, 07:36 AM) *
It's too detailed, anyway - Licences in SR4 are pretty abstract and can cover whole categories, p. 313.

Not according to the rules:

QUOTE (SR4A page 332)
Each type of item/activity requires a separate license.

Lars
Rotbart van Dainig
In fact, exactly according to the rules: 'each type of item', not 'each item'. Also see the example on p. 313 - it's a 'firearms licence'.
Larsine
That depends how you read the rules:
QUOTE (SR4A page 313)
For example, you are allowed to purchase and own a gun when you have a firearms license for it.

Emphasis mine.

So it's a licence for the specific weapon, not a general licence for all firearms.

Otherwise I'll just take a Weapon License, and Cyberware License and a Magic License, and be able to carry and use nearly anything.

After all "Weapon" and "Cyberware" are types of items.

If you look at the Gunslinger Adept you will notice that she also has "Fake Gun License (Colt Manhunter, Rating 4)", which supports the rule that you will need a seperate license for each and every weapon.

Lars

Angier
Or that you have to define which items are covered by a particular license.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Angier @ Mar 25 2009, 05:32 PM) *
Or that you have to define which items are covered by a particular license.

Such as "this one license covers all of my existing weapons.
Though I will point out that most ShadowRunners don't care about licenses due to the Forbidden equipment in the trunk.
Tiger Eyes
Officially, each different item that is restricted requires a license, as do some things that are legal (drivers license, pet dog license). However, any GM can decide to houserule licenses, or roll them into lifestyles (my personal favorite), or figure LoneStar has better things to do than to examine your commlink to see if you have a license for the spell casting focus they don't see. wink.gif

In our game, when we buy fake IDs, they come with basic licenses (drivers license, for example) and we pay extra for things like guns and magic (Magic doubles cost of fake SINs in our game, weapons add 1,000 nuyen.gif ) and then figure it's all covered. My GM does not like paperwork or dealing with those little details (hey, we don't have to pay for lifestyles, either).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 25 2009, 10:30 PM) *
So it's a licence for the specific weapon, not a general licence for all firearms.

The RAW example is a 'firearms licence' and 'type of item' - the 'it' part isn't exclusive.
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 25 2009, 10:30 PM) *
Otherwise I'll just take a Weapon License, and Cyberware License and a Magic License, and be able to carry and use nearly anything.

Going with the 'firearms licence' example, it would be Melee Weapons, Projectile Weapons, Firearms, Firearm Accessories, Ammunition, Grenades, Armor, Software, Sensors, Security Devices, Chemicals, Cyberware, Bioware, Concealed Carry, Security Service, Pilot Aircraft, Pilot Ground Craft Licences for the 'Freelancing Security Consultant'.
And that's a nightmare already.
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 26 2009, 01:18 AM) *
Officially, each different item that is restricted requires a license, as do some things that are legal (drivers license, pet dog license).

Then officially, the current rule and example are wrong?

In either case, it's an errata. And in the case of a 'each single item is a licence'... well, I'm sure the fun it adds to the table to read the licences for your gear aloud to the GM is enormous... for every single of the dozens of SINs.
ElFenrir
We sorta have the ''roll 'em together'' method, with a touch of lifestyle. High or Luxury? Yeah, you're pretty much covered. (Alternately, if you use the Lifestyle Points, you can lump this perhaps under ''Security''.) We just sorta pop Cyber, Bio, Firearms, Melee for those who have lesser lifestyles. It might make it easy, but no way do I feel like keeping track of 14 licenses for everything, as a player OR GM.

Legality can be a pretty gray area. For example, if a PC served 6 years in the UCAS military and has some mil-spec ware, and actually left with a good record(getting into running later, let's say)...I'm not picturing that the lieutenants or whatnot get their bone lacing ripped out when their duty is up. Not in my games, anyway. So some folks I always pictured is viable having certain ware.(Bone lacing, in any case, as a GM I'm lighter on. Reason? Bone lacing is forbidden, while bone density is not only perfectly 100% legal, it does the same thing, with a minor trade-lacing gives some armor, density can go up to +4 damage dice to soak-Titanium only goes up to +3.) I really see no reason why one is 100% legal and the other is outright forbidden.

Then again, the legality bits have always confused me when it comes to some things. Bone lacing=forbidden. Wired Reflexes=restricted(and usually more dangerous than the former.) Bone density=legal. Dermal Plating and Orthoskin-Restricted. Dermal Sheath=totally legal(and better than Plating. I'm using my Augmentation book.) Strength enhancement on cyberarms-AkA the Stat That Doesn't Do Much=restricted. AGILITY enhancement=aka the Combat God stat=LEGAL. I just have to scratch my head. (The only thing I can think of in the case of cyber and bio legality differences, like the Density vs. Lacing, is 'money talks', and apparently people with a lot of money aren't trying to use them for nefarious means. But...erm, still. Agility legal and Strength you need a license for? No sir, I don't get it.) In any case, in our games we play it a bit looser, and this stuff mainly comes into play with things like travel, going into a very high-class high-sec area, etc, and even then we have ways around it.
Larsine
p324 Ammunotions table:
The "Cost" is not alligned correctly with the prices for the ammo.

p335 Exotic Melee Weapon table, Monofilament Chainsaw:
The "–2" under "AP" is not alligned correctly, or the "AP" over the "-2" is not alligned correctly.

Lars
Larsine
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 26 2009, 05:47 PM) *
Then officially, the current rule and example are wrong?

Or mayby you just read them wrong. They make perfect sense for me, and the examples (Gundslinger Adept, Street Samurai) fits the way I read the rules.

But then again this could be another OR/success discussion.

Lars
Ryu
@Larsine: This is the thread were I can tell you how much I love what you did? Thank you very much! notworthy.gif
Angier
@Licenses

As around the globe of the 6th world different nations have different legal rulings depending the need for licenses etc I think the point is rather mood as the GM has to rule how the PCs are affected by this need.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 27 2009, 09:48 AM) *
They make perfect sense for me,[...]

So it makes perfekt sense that by RAW, you can have a firearms licence? Good to hear.
Especially becase that's what RAW says anyway:
Each type of item/activity requires a separate license.

QUOTE ( @ Mar 27 2009, 09:48 AM) *
[...]and the examples (Gundslinger Adept, Street Samurai) fits the way I read the rules.

In that case, I'm wondering how that does compute for you. On the other hand, archetypes have and had so many errors that they don't count as reference for anything.
Of course, if you honestly think it's sensible to have a licence list a whole page long, for each SIN...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Semantics... What works for you may not work for someone else...

In our games, we need liceses for each Type... Ie.. Light Pistols, Heavy Pistols, Assault Rifles (Yeah Right... try and find a licens for that), etc... This is the middle road between the two, Not exactly a "Firearms" license, but not a "Colt Manhunter" License either...

Fairly similar to real life... You need a Conceal/Carry License where I live to carry a Pistol... Not a "Firearms License" or a "Glock 32 License"...

It workd for us to use the Common Sense approach...

My Two Cents
Synner667
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2009, 04:51 PM) *
In our games, we need liceses for each Type... Ie.. Light Pistols, Heavy Pistols, Assault Rifles (Yeah Right... try and find a licens for that), etc... This is the middle road between the two, Not exactly a "Firearms" license, but not a "Colt Manhunter" License either...

Fairly similar to real life... You need a Conceal/Carry License where I live to carry a Pistol... Not a "Firearms License" or a "Glock 32 License"...

My Two Cents

Sounds the most sensible to me.

Doing it the HERO way is the way we do it - 'x' character points for a characters to start with Non-Lethal Pistols/Blades/Unarmed Combat [above a specific level] License, etc.

Referring to the HERO or GURPS rules usually gives a good answer for almost all of the problems with SR 4.
ElFenrir
I kinda like how it's played rather loose in the rules, letting tables sort of come up with their own things for this.

We don't like a lot of bookkeeping for stuff like this, so generic ''firearms'' ''mil-spec weaponry'' ''cyberware'' and ''bioware'' works well with us(we also have ''chemical'' and ''high explosive'' areas, for the chemists and demolitionists out there, since they are different enough from the rest.) We call ''Class A magic'' anything that's not a health or detection type spell, and most illusion spells.

This basically covers everything with 7 licenses. Granted, I don't think we ran across one character who actually needed *all* of these. Of course, only stuff with an R+ is really needed for this. (I count mil-spec weaponry as anything that runs under the Heavy Weapons category.) Having 3,000 licenses for every class and grade of stuff is much more of a headache than I need at a table. Just tell me what you are buying licenses for at chargen and there you go. Of course, you might need to get new ones later in game, but I try to cut down unnecessary bookeeping. Does this make some stuff a bit easier? Sure, but we don't play the game to hose the PCs at every waking moment, we play to have fun watching our characters grow and mingle.

Actually, mentioning a positive quality for that kind of thing sounds neat, though. I might even do a version that has one negative tied to it-you need a SIN(SINner negative quality.)For every 5 BP, you are essentially licensed for one category of your choice. Of course, it's cheaper in game, but those are fake licenses, and these are, for all intents and purposes, the real deal.
Angier
btw

@devs

any updated ETA for the compiled errata?
Larsine
QUOTE (Ryu @ Mar 27 2009, 11:21 AM) *
@Larsine: This is the thread were I can tell you how much I love what you did? Thank you very much! notworthy.gif

Thanks, I just do what I find most natural. I do however wonder how 11 official proofreaders can miss so many errors.

Lars
Draco18s
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 27 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Thanks, I just do what I find most natural. I do however wonder how 11 official proofreaders can miss so many errors.

Well, I don't know either, but I do know that mistakes can be made, even easy to spot ones get through. For instance, just last week there was an article in the newspaper about the current year 20009 economy.
Larsine
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 27 2009, 08:51 PM) *
Well, I don't know either, but I do know that mistakes can be made, even easy to spot ones get through. For instance, just last week there was an article in the newspaper about the current year 20009 economy.

Damn, I fell asleep and woke up 18000 years later. That beats Sleping Beauty wobble.gif

Lars
Draco18s
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 27 2009, 03:55 PM) *
Damn, I fell asleep and woke up 18000 years later. That beats Sleping Beauty wobble.gif

Lars

Yup.. And the economy still sucks.
Freejack
Technically I don't believe every proofreader proofed the entire book. I proofed several chapters and then ran through others once or twice as we got to the deadline. It is harder to re-proof the chapter you did the first time (at least for me). I did catch a lot of errors and the others caught even more (I'm more of a spelling guy than grammar smile.gif ). That there are so few is quite gratifying.

I am specifically looking in this thread for the ones caught in the chapters I proofed though smile.gif

Carl
Tiger Eyes
My proofers did an amazing job. Really. Consider that for the 30 page Wireless World chapter, they actually generated 50 pages of proofreading corrections. Or the wonderful job they did reviewing the sample characters - (complete with discussions over 5 nuyen.gif clips - LOL) - through 3 proofing passes each. Some of the errors are ones they caught, but somehow (I dunno, from the hundreds and hundreds of comments they made) slipped through the cracks. I appreciate every blood-and-sweat filled moment they spent (and yeah, I'm still bringing cookies for you guys & gals at GenCon).
Draco18s
Damn it, now I have to go to GenCon!
Freejack
Ooo, cookies. Can't wait now smile.gif

Carl
Zurai
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 27 2009, 03:32 PM) *

Lars

A 350 page large book (like the SR4 core book) will have ~800 words per page for 280,000 words. Assuming editors and proofreaders catch 99.9% of all errors (and only considering things like typos and incorrect data as errors, for this example), there will still be 280 errors in the book. Even with a completely astounding 99.99% accuracy, there'll be 28 typos or data errors. Of course, that's assuming that every word is an error to start with. Let's reduce it to 1 error per 10 words. That's 28 simple errors for 99.9% accuracy and 2.8 for 99.99% accuracy.

Then add in all the complex errors on top (entries in separate parts of the book that give different rules for the same action, etc). It's really not that hard to have a massive error list for a published rulebook.
Muspellsheimr
And under your assumption that there is one error per 10 words, the authors are very shitty writers. I am nowhere near the level of a professional writer, & I would estimate I have at most 1 error per 50 words, prior to proof-reading.

I do not know if this one has mentioned (did not double-check the existing list), but p.252, the RUNNING THE SHADOWS header is a third of the way down the page.
Draco18s
And I'd say proofreaders are 99.9% accurate. I might give them 90% accuracy.

That leaves 560 errors. Even at 99% accuracy that's still 56 typos.
Cardul
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2009, 11:51 AM) *
Semantics... What works for you may not work for someone else...

My Two Cents

I know where I live(Florida), not only do you need a Conceal and Carry permit to have a pistol, but you must also register that pistol, and, if it is to leave your home, you also need a transportation permit. So, I can see why they would have the whole "Each weapon with a separate license" approach..remember: Tings are stricter governmentally in the future..(since look how much stricter they have gotten RL just since Shadowrun 1 came out). At least knives are no longer unlicensable like they were in 1st through 3rd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012