Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20th Edition Errata
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Zurai
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 28 2009, 10:13 PM) *
And under your assumption that there is one error per 10 words, the authors are very shitty writers. I am nowhere near the level of a professional writer, & I would estimate I have at most 1 error per 50 words, prior to proof-reading.

Right - but I seriously doubt any proofreader even approaches 99.9% accuracy across an entire 280,000 word text, either, so they balance out. Reducing it to even 99% brings us right back up to 560 errors even with only 1 error per 50 words.
Draco18s
Already posted that. wink.gif

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 28 2009, 10:16 PM) *
And I'd say proofreaders are 99.9% accurate. I might give them 90% accuracy.

That leaves 560 errors. Even at 99% accuracy that's still 56 typos.

HappyDaze
I might have missed this somewhere, but...

The Vampire's Dietary Requirement (Blood) should be Dietary Requirement (Metahuman Blood) as per Runner's Companion.
Coldan
Air spirits only have (F*2)+3 Init but should have (F*2)+4 Init as they have reaction F+4.
darthmord
More errata...

QUOTE (SR4A, Page 81, Choose Your Metatype)
From the example given...

Since Brian and Michelle are using the BP system, the first step is to select a metatype.
Michelle decides she wants to stick with the norm and play a human, for a cost of
0 BP. All her character’s Physical and Mental Attributes start at 1, with a natural maximum
of 6 + submersion grade.
Furthermore, her character gains an extra point of
Edge, so her street witch automatically starts with an Edge of 2

The bolded section above is in error. Standard attributes are not limited by Submersion.
Larsine
There are still errors in the revised SR4A:

Italic: Error
Bold: Corrected

Page 81 - Choose your metatype, example:
Wrong: with a natural maximum of 6 + submersion grade.
Right: with a natural maximum of 6.

Page 159 - Superior Position:
Wrong: (and thus dodge/parry them)
Right: (and thus block/dodge/parry them)

Page 163 - Acid Damage:
Wrong: the acid is washed off or a base is applied.
Right: the acid is washed off.

Pager 301 - Vampire:
Wrong: Dietary Requirement (Blood)
Right: Dietary Requirement (Metahuman Blood)

Page 302 - Spirit of Air:
Wrong: INIT (Fx2)+3
Right: INIT (Fx2)+4

Page 311 - Physical Searches:
Wrong: Concealability modifiers only apply at half their value (round down).
This actually means that it is more difficult to detect a katana (+6 concealability) when you do a physical search (+3 concealability). It's just not logical at all. One easy fix could be to change the text to:
Right: Negative Concealability modifiers only apply at half their value (round down).

Page 321 - Special Weapons, Parashield Dart Rifle:
Wrong: RC 0
Right: RC -

Page 331 - ID and Credsticks:
Wrong: (see the Certified Credstick Table, below).
Right: (see the Certified Credstick Table, page 267).

Page 332 - Vision Sensors and Imaging Devices table:
The Capacity entries should be changed to Rating

Page 333 - Audio Sensors and Enhancers table:
Wrong: Audio Sensors and and Enhancers
Right: Audio Sensors and Enhancers

Page 333 - Audio Sensors and Enhancers table:
The Capacity entries should be changed to Rating

Page 343 - Cyberlimb Enhancements
The Capacity entries should be in brackets [], otherwise it actully mean that the Enhancements have capacity in which you could fit other enhancements.

Page 344 - Cyberlimb Accessories
The entries for Large Smuggling Compartment — [5] 6 2,000 nuyen.gif, are not alligned correctly with the other items in the table.

Page 345 - Cyber Microgrenade Launcher
Wrong: Blast -2/meter
Right: Blast as grenade

Lars
Rotbart van Dainig
p. 63 'Note that thresholds are never applied to Opposed Tests.'

Still a Very Bad Idea if there are no corresponding DP modifiers. Otherwise, the it's better to go AR in Vehicle Combat than VR.
Rotbart van Dainig
p. 160, Armor and Encumbrance:

Wrong: 'Too much armor, however, can slow a character down. If either of a character’s armor ratings exceeds his Body x 2, apply a –1 modifier to Agility and Reaction for every 2 points (or fraction thereof ) that his Body x 2 is exceeded.'
Right: 'Too much worn armor, however, can slow a character down. If either of a character’s worn armor ratings exceeds his Body x 2, apply a –1 modifier to Agility and Reaction for every 2 points (or fraction thereof ) that his Body x 2 is exceeded.'
Larsine
Page 269, Awarding Karma, paragraph 1:

Replace:

Characters earn 1 Karma Point for surviving an adventure and 1 additional point if they fulfill the large majority (at least two-thirds) of their objectives. If an adventure is particularly challenging, they may receive an extra point, for valor above and beyond the call of duty.

with:

Characters earn 1-2 Karma Points for surviving an adventure and 1 additional point per mission objective group fulfilled. If an adventure is particularly challenging, they may receive an additional 1-4 points, for valor above and beyond the call of duty.

Page 269, Awarding Karma, paragraph 3:

Replace:

As a general rule of thumb, characters should be earning an average of 4–5 Karma per adventure, and no more than 10 Karma.

With:

As a general rule of thumb, characters should be earning an average of 8–10 Karma per adventure, and no more than 20 Karma.

Page 343, Standard Cyberlimbs table

Under Synthetic Limbs include:

Skull 0.75 2 16 15,000¥

Lars
Larsine
Whatever happened to the new version of SR4A? On all even pages the Shadowrun S, the page numbuer and the chapter title have been removed (except pages 2, 68, 82, 90, 98-112, 148, 194 and 204).

It could have been done on purpose, but together with pictures hiding odd page numbers and fiction chapters, it means that there are way to many pages without a number to refer to. For example there is not a single page number from page 119 to page 127, and from page 5 to 25 there is only one other page number.

I want my even page numbers back. Please tell me that the print version won't look like the latest PDF with regards to page numbers.

And I still found a few errors:

Page 145, Initiative passes, paragraph 3:
Remove: The only way to affect an Initiative Score during the Combat Turn is with wound modifiers.
It contradicts page 145, Switching initiatives.
Thanks to Ayeohx for pointing this out http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=26262

Page 245, Issuing Commands:
Wrong: Issuing Command action (p. 245).
Right: Issuing Command action (p. 229).

Page 232 & 330, Matrix Programs:
The Agents/IC/Pilot entry should be corrected, there is an extra space behind the IC, and the last Pilot should be moved to the "Cost (up to rating 6)" column.

Lars
Draco18s
And I thought Alpha Omega was annoying by using section numbers. Page 231? Nonono, that's 7.9.4 and 7.9.5.
Malachi
QUOTE (Larsine @ Mar 27 2009, 01:32 PM) *
Thanks, I just do what I find most natural. I do however wonder how 11 official proofreaders can miss so many errors.

Lars

Yeah, when you only see what we didn't catch rather than what we did it always seems sloppy. I'm not surprised about page number reference problems since those were only put in at the very last moment (they all looked like "p. xx" for most of the time) before the book was to be released. Part of the other thing that really muddied the waters for us was that some of the chapters didn't have the latest errata corrections from prior to SR4A. So, while proofing we not only had to read the proof chapter, but flip back to the errata doc to see if that section had been changed since. We were also given very strict timeframes for proofing: at one point we had 24 hours to proof 3 chapters. Aside from formatting and alignment goofs, some of us also caught some rule "oopsies." For example, the Switch Interface Mode action didn't used to have that text about not being able to do it while under attack by Black IC, thus making yourself immune to Black IC would have been a Free Action.

Seriously, though, maybe you should PM Tiger Eyes about becoming a proofreader?

PS: Thanks for the vote of confidence TE, I wish I could come to Gencon.
Adam
QUOTE (Larsine @ Apr 29 2009, 08:23 AM) *
Whatever happened to the new version of SR4A? On all even pages the Shadowrun S, the page numbuer and the chapter title have been removed (except pages 2, 68, 82, 90, 98-112, 148, 194 and 204).

Ack. That wasn't intentional. Won't be fixed in the near future, though; I'm married to Seattle 2072 and Eclipse Phase right now.
Larsine
QUOTE (Malachi @ Apr 29 2009, 05:01 PM) *
Yeah, when you only see what we didn't catch rather than what we did it always seems sloppy.

Sorry didn't mean to sound rude. I think you have done a great job, and I know it's hard work.

QUOTE (Malachi @ Apr 29 2009, 05:01 PM) *
Seriously, though, maybe you should PM Tiger Eyes about becoming a proofreader?

wink.gif

Lars
Wasabi
Called shots are worded ambiguously. The bullet point listing on p161 should state either:
"When a shot is called, and pending the gamemaster’s agreement, the player character has any of the choices below:"
or
"When a shot is called, and pending the gamemaster’s agreement, the player character has one of the choices below:"

The original wording of "When a shot is called, and pending the gamemaster’s agreement, the player character has the choice to:" is ambiguous.
Wasabi
Control Rigs aren't required for Jumping Into a drone/device but in one place it says they ARE required. [Erroroneous text is on SR4A page 348]

For page numbers of the contradiction see this thread:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=26425
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012