Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Limiting Control Thoughts/Mob Mind
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 5 2009, 09:00 PM) *
Yeah, but as we all know, those characters with the 20+ dice pools are always critically successful, that is the reason they have those 20+ dice pools in the first place, to guarantee success... thus, insta kill time...

*shrug*

Dude its all about 20+ dice, who doesn't have 20+ dice. You totally are unsuccessful at everything you do if you can't roll 20+ dice.

I'm more concerned about balance in the norms than balance at the extremes. And I hope the norms put dice pools around 12-14 dice. And on a side note I think its lame I knock off 9 points of recoil with my main weapons on my character. I pity me when my Sunday GM lays into me with a 9 shot burst for damage with no recoil penalties in a whats good for the goose scenario.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 5 2009, 07:18 PM) *
Dude its all about 20+ dice, who doesn't have 20+ dice. You totally are unsuccessful at everything you do if you can't roll 20+ dice.

I'm more concerned about balance in the norms than balance at the extremes. And I hope the norms put dice pools around 12-14 dice. And on a side note I think its lame I knock off 9 points of recoil with my main weapons on my character. I pity me when my Sunday GM lays into me with a 9 shot burst for damage with no recoil penalties in a whats good for the goose scenario.

Yes Sir... You are definitely preaching to the choir here... mid-norm for us has ALWAYS been about 12 Dcce or so...
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ May 5 2009, 09:13 PM) *
And back to the OP---his player is maxed out dice wise. So you can assume 12+ dice on his rolls. Not as frigging high as the sam, but the mge don't have to worry about armor.

The big difference is that the spells force limits the total successes.

While a spells force limits successes when you only need 1 net success you can make do with a force 3 spell on control thought in almost every case. In another thread I used stunbolt as a base line for force to success ratio for why control thought is bad. A force 3 control thoughts has a really good chance to succeed, since a 3-6 willpower is needed and they need 3+ successes. A force 3 stunbolt maxes out at 6 damage. Without edge you need a force 5 stunbolt in order to drop a target(assuming normal willpower) and you would need 5 net successes or roughly 15 more dice than your target. On top of that stunbolt is a direct combat spell and should have the edge in reliably taking out targets compared to a versatile manipulation spell. They should really try to balance control thoughts around those basics, I'm not sure the best way to do it but a threshold of 1/2or full willpower at least means you need more than 1 net success against there willpower test so successes matter like they do in combat spells, it also means the spell will usually be cast at a higher force since you don't know the targets willpower.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 5 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying.

You should not be able to easily remove someone from the game with 100% chance of success. A Sam can remove someone from the game instantly but it is not nearly as easy. They go against reaction then the target resists with both body and armor, so frequently targets actually can do something to not be insta killed. Vs control thoughts it is both ridiculously easy and 100% successful upon a hit. You shouldn't have both whether its magic or guns. But on a side point, actually a Sam should be somewhat better at the killing and froilaven than a mage. A mage has a ridiculously larger array of options compared to a Sam. But neither should have it so its stupidly easy to routinely take almost anyone out of the fight in one move.

Shinobi Killfist, looking down from his high horse where he has a good enough view to interpret posts in non lame ways.

So "most people" have a way to defend against a reaction wired sammy with a semi automatic grenade launcher? "Most people" can defend against a long burst from a MMG with full recoil comp? The sami will likely have 5 skill, 7+ attribute, +2 smart gun, +2 specialization, +1 enhanced articulation, +1 reflex recorders, and perhaps a +2 if his pan is set up to help get tactical data from drones and other team mates... so tossing about 20ish dice... against 3 dice reaction....
IceKatze
hi hi

I've had lots of problems with this spell before. The players don't mind when they automatically defeat just about anything you send at them with a single spell, but if you counterspell once or use hidden explosives or something, they hate your guts for it. Perhaps my biggest problem with control manipulations is that they are too "all or nothing." There's no mental health damage track in Shadowrun, so the player either wins tremendously, or fails horribly. Its not just the fact that you can instantly kill someone with control manipulations, you can make them tell you everything they know, and you have full use of their skills. Why even bother buying skills of your own when you can just use other peoples? Who needs a hacker when you can just get the person with access codes to hand you a data chip?

The spells in question are very morally objectionable, and I believe it was stated somewhere that in the UCAS, they're banned outright as a violation of constitutional liberties. Other then what has already been stated with drones and things, most of my plans for limiting control manipulations are "fluff" based.

People who use control manipulations regularly are liable to be control freaks, many of them are going to have the mentality of a paranoid fascist dictator. When they learn that there is a possible threat to the empires they have no doubt accrued with the use of their magic, they are going to send their own minions to dispose of said threat. Basically normal shadowrun paranoia multiplied by ten. Its one thing to kill someones minions, its another thing to learn everything they know about their boss before you do.

Once you get a reputation, everyone with a secret to hide (read everyone) is going to want you out of the picture. I don't ban these spells, but I try to make sure the player knows that he/she's opening an unpleasant can of worms by doing so.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 5 2009, 08:33 PM) *
While a spells force limits successes when you only need 1 net success you can make do with a force 3 spell on control thought in almost every case. In another thread I used stunbolt as a base line for force to success ratio for why control thought is bad. A force 3 control thoughts has a really good chance to succeed, since a 3-6 willpower is needed and they need 3+ successes. A force 3 stunbolt maxes out at 6 damage. Without edge you need a force 5 stunbolt in order to drop a target(assuming normal willpower) and you would need 5 net successes or roughly 15 more dice than your target. On top of that stunbolt is a direct combat spell and should have the edge in reliably taking out targets compared to a versatile manipulation spell. They should really try to balance control thoughts around those basics, I'm not sure the best way to do it but a threshold of 1/2or full willpower at least means you need more than 1 net success against there willpower test so successes matter like they do in combat spells, it also means the spell will usually be cast at a higher force since you don't know the targets willpower.

When you start giving sammi's damage for 'firing' a gun the same way mages take damage for casting you get to start complaining they're not taking enough drain from their spells. Yes mages are versitile, they also have to buy a 15 bp edge, and then buy a whole new stat just to be able to buy the skills to use it. I would hope for the all the BP/karma you sink into making your character you get something out of the deal.

Mordinvan
QUOTE (IceKatze @ May 5 2009, 09:03 PM) *
Once you get a reputation, everyone with a secret to hide (read everyone) is going to want you out of the picture. I don't ban these spells, but I try to make sure the player knows that he/she's opening an unpleasant can of worms by doing so.

Can't you do this with a mind probe spell after a stun bolt?
Just inject some drugs to tank the victims willpower, and slurp their memories from them?
I know I designed a mage based infiltrator off this idea.
IceKatze
hi hi

Can't you do this with a mind probe spell after a stun bolt?

Such a character would likely suffer similar problems I would imagine, if he got a reputation for doing it a lot.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (IceKatze @ May 5 2009, 08:27 PM) *
Such a character would likely suffer similar problems I would imagine, if he got a reputation for doing it a lot.

Since I can erase the signature of any spell I cast... and I'm not telling anyone but my team, and my team is benefiting from this.... How would it come back to bite me in the ass exactly?
kzt
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ May 5 2009, 08:13 PM) *
The big difference is that the spells force limits the total successes.

Most people can't GET the 6 successes he's limited to from char gen. 12 dice attack vs 3 dice defend gives you some insanely high chance of success. It's well over 95%.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 5 2009, 10:00 PM) *
Yeah, but as we all know, those characters with the 20+ dice pools are always critically successful, that is the reason they have those 20+ dice pools in the first place, to guarantee success... thus, insta kill time...

Even 20 dice to shooting people isn't instant-kill. It's up there, yes, but I wouldn't say it's a sure thing.

OTOH A force 2 Control Thoughts spell with 2 successes will auto-kill a target. Control Thoughts (2 hits) vs. Willpower (3 dice), thought to have: "Kill yourself."

Called shot, point blank, from a burst fire weapon, target is not moving:
Target rolls Body to resist the damage.
6 dice to shooting -> 2 net hits -> 6P weapon -> 8P+2 (short burst) damage resisted by 3 dice -> 9P damage sustained.

Even if the guy isn't dead, he's not going to be doing anything other than attempting to shoot himself again, second shot likely kills him, done in the same IP.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 5 2009, 11:23 PM) *
Even 20 dice to shooting people isn't instant-kill. It's up there, yes, but I wouldn't say it's a sure thing.

OTOH A force 2 Control Thoughts spell with 2 successes will auto-kill a target. Control Thoughts (2 hits) vs. Willpower (3 dice), thought to have: "Kill yourself."

6 dice to shooting -> 2 net hits -> 6P weapon -> 8P+2 (short burst) damage resisted by 3 dice -> 9P damage sustained.

Even if the guy isn't dead, he's not going to be doing anything other than attempting to shoot himself again, second shot likely kills him, done in the same IP.

Since mages need a complex action to cast, try a complex action to fire too. like say a full burst, so add 10 to your DV and get a more accurate figure.
Yes, that is pretty much an instant kill.
Also the 20 dice pool I listed isn't hard to do or even uncommon.
So with 20 dice, you get at least 4 successes with some cover and movement penalties and with 3 to dodge, target gets one.

Weapon damage is 6 + 3 + 10 + 1 (EXEX ammo) = 20 DV
Target would need over 30 dice to stand a reasonable chance of survival... I'm going to call that instant kill for any joe blow on the street.

And this is a non maxed Sammi.

Could so something similiar with a grenade launcher.
Again, pretty much instant death, especially if the target is standing near a solid wall
Blade
I'm not concerned about the combat uses of mind manipulation spells: Shadowrunners have a whole range of possibilities to insta-kill nearly most oppositions and most players will often make sure their character are able to do it. There's little to no difference between a burst from an assault rifle loaded with Ex-ex and a stunbolt. There's little to no difference between a grenade in the middle of a group of enemies and a mind-controlled enemy who kills everyone else.

For me, the problem lies more in the other uses of mind manipulation spells. But even then, most of the time you should be ok as long as you take them into account when preparing your games.
IceKatze
hi hi

Since I can erase the signature of any spell I cast... and I'm not telling anyone but my team, and my team is benefiting from this.... How would it come back to bite me in the ass exactly?
The walls have ears, and even if they didn't, do you do anything with the information you gain or do you just probe out of curiosity?
Zaranthan
The instagib rifle has already been handled, so I'll focus on the spell.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 6 2009, 12:23 AM) *

Your timing is a bit off, here. For simplicity, let's assume both the mage and the grunt have 1 IP.

Round 1: Mage casts F2 Control Thoughts, gets two hits. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, gets one hit. Grunt shoots the mage this round anyway, because he hasn't been told to DO anything yet.
Round 2: Mage orders grunt to kill himself. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, plus 6 from being given an order against his nature (most people aren't suicidal), to throw off the mental control, gets three hits. Spell fades, grunt shoots the mage anyway.

Let's beef up the mage, for argument's sake. He's got 6 Magic, 6 Spellcasting, +2 Manipulation spell specialization, and a force 2 Power Focus. 16 dice to bend your brain. Let's give him lucky dice and assume he consistently rolls 6 hits, and can handle a Force 6 Control Thoughts.

Round 1: Mage casts F6 Control Thoughts, gets six hits. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, gets one hit. Grunt shoots the mage this round anyway, because he hasn't been told to DO anything yet.
CT: 5 net hits left

Round 2: Mage orders grunt to kill himself. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, plus 6 from being given an order against his nature (most people aren't suicidal), to throw off the mental control, gets three hits. Grunt shoots himself.
CT: 2 net hits left, assuming the grunt is still breathing.

Well, that's an open-and-shut case, eh? Oh, wait, let's change his specialization to melting people's brains instead of stealing them.

Round 1: Mage casts F6 Powerbolt, gets six hits. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, gets one hit. Grunt takes 11P damage with no soak roll and collapses, bleeding from his ears.

Round 2: Mage casts F6 Powerbolt, gets six hits. Grunt #2 rolls 3 Willpower...

Looks like the combat mage is a bit more effective here. Let's go back to the mastermind and make him more efficient.

Round 1: Mage casts F6 Control Thoughts, gets six hits. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, gets one hit. Grunt shoots the mage this round anyway, because he hasn't been told to DO anything yet. So does his partner.
CT: 5 net hits left

Round 2: Mage orders grunt to kill his partner. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, plus 6 from being given an order against his nature (most people don't seriously want to shoot their coworkers outside of Dilbert strips), to throw off the mental control, gets three hits. Grunt shoots his partner. Partner shoots the mage again.
CT: 2 net hits left

Round 3: Mage goes on full defense, because he spent all his BP on casting big spells and soaking automatic fire. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, plus 6 from being given an order against his nature (most people don't seriously want to shoot their coworkers outside of Dilbert strips), to throw off the mental control, gets three hits. Spell fades, mage redecorates the hallway with his own brains.

I'm...not seeing the problem here.
Dakka Dakka
Where did you get that the target of a manipulation spell gets an extra resistance roll, because an order is against the target's nature? I only remember that, when under the effect of the Influence spell, the target gets an extra roll if someone else convinces him about the wrongness of his actions.

Also it is not so clear that as long as the target is not fulfilling orders he ca act independently:
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 210')
The caster seizes control of the target’s mind, directing everything the target does.
This can just as well be interpreted as the target does not do anything unless ordered.
Machiavelli
Besides that, I really don´t understand the problem at all. Finally we found something that is usefull in the spell-arsenal of a mage and immediately we find somebody who want´s to nerf it. I play and rule equally and until now, i haven´t found anything, that unbalanced the game. The abusing player is trying to get the last kick out of the spell and he only can do this, if the GM doesn´t gets the last kick out of the anti-magic-possibilities. Besides that the drain of the spell was quite high if i remember right, so this stuff shouldn´t be a problem at all. Nobody is nerfing APDS ammo, grenades etc. and they are equally effective...and more final.^^
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 6 2009, 12:23 AM) *

Don't have the books in front of me....but as I recall the spell doesn't allow for that (might be edition blur though).

Personally, at that point I'd rule that the primal instinct to survive would override shooting oneself. I would also allow resistance rolls for the target to attack friends and co-workers (people he cares about). That being said, asking for the keys to the secret lab, would be perfectly legit as it doesn't involve directly harming himself or others he cares about.
Dakka Dakka
As far as I know there are no limitations on control thoughts/mob mind as to what the orders actually are. Such limitations exist only on the Influence and Control Actions spells. I'd like to see proof but to my knowledge there is no difference between "shoot yourself/your colleges." and "get me a soda.".

As per RAW there isn't even the usual the target will do exactly what it is told but tries subconsciously to subvert the intentions of the orders.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ May 6 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Round 2: Mage orders grunt to kill himself. Grunt rolls 3 Willpower, plus 6 from being given an order against his nature (most people aren't suicidal), to throw off the mental control, gets three hits. Spell fades, grunt shoots the mage anyway.

That's not RAW. He gets only 1 resist check by RAW. He doesn't get a second one until 2 combat rounds later (round 3).
Mr. Unpronounceable
Besides, shouldn't the timing be more like:

Round 1, pass 1
Bad guy shoots mage...twice. (It's really easy to beat a mage in initiative, after all.)
Mage (assuming he's still alive) casts control thoughts. Assuming no counterspelling, background count, decent willpower score on a target, or blown roll due to wound modifiers, he succeeds.

Round 1, pass 2 and onward
Bad guy stands around and scratches his ass because the mage doesn't have a simple action with which to command him.

Round 2
If the mage hasn't been geeked yet, he gets to give up to two (simple action) commands. But giving any means he's not going to be casting any spells this round.

Frankly, it isn't really a useful in-combat spell. All it does is trade a boo-scary-powerful mage for one or possibly a few (for the AOE versions) pathetic grunts.
kzt
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ May 6 2009, 10:47 AM) *
Personally, at that point I'd rule that the primal instinct to survive would override shooting oneself. I would also allow resistance rolls for the target to attack friends and co-workers (people he cares about). That being said, asking for the keys to the secret lab, would be perfectly legit as it doesn't involve directly harming himself or others he cares about.

That's all nice, but that isn't what the rules say. Once you start changing the rules as you deem fit you can't argue that something is or isn't a problem for everyone who is actually using the game without having you tell them how the rules don't actually work like the book says.

The issue with the spells is what the rules actually SAY. You don't get extra bonuses for ANYTHING. You don't get to reroll until force turns.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (IceKatze @ May 6 2009, 04:56 AM) *
hi hi

The walls have ears, and even if they didn't, do you do anything with the information you gain or do you just probe out of curiosity?

Depends on the character. Even if I do use it for 'fun and profit' knowing how I got it is nearly impossible.
IceKatze
hi hi

For many well kept secrets, there's only a finite number of possible ways for a single runner to consistently acquire the information, and none of them are particularly benign.

As for NPCs that somehow avoid jumping to rash conclusions, rumors or consequentialism, requiring instead concrete evidence before putting a bounty on someone's head there's a vast number of possibilities to be found out. Random bystanders are the high on the list; fly spy drones, implanted data recorders, observing masked astral forms, the victim being the only person who knew and being under a binding ritual (like a triad goon)

Or, and perhaps this is a stretch, another mage with a mind probe spell. Maybe an alter memory thrown in for good measure.
Psikerlord
control thoughts is fine, barring RP fallout for using it too much, maybe. mob mind is more of a problem, because the mage takes out the whole gang. On the other hand I guess so would a grenade (but much more loudly!)
Mordinvan
QUOTE (IceKatze @ May 6 2009, 01:26 PM) *
hi hi

For many well kept secrets, there's only a finite number of possible ways for a single runner to consistently acquire the information, and none of them are particularly benign.

As for NPCs that somehow avoid jumping to rash conclusions, rumors or consequentialism, requiring instead concrete evidence before putting a bounty on someone's head there's a vast number of possibilities to be found out. Random bystanders are the high on the list; fly spy drones, implanted data recorders, observing masked astral forms, the victim being the only person who knew and being under a binding ritual (like a triad goon)

Or, and perhaps this is a stretch, another mage with a mind probe spell. Maybe an alter memory thrown in for good measure.

Then I would say if someone can even track that YOU'VE used the info, you're likely using it wrong. As far as seeing you get it in the first place.... they would have to be Astral, or dual natured at the very least to be able to identify the spell you cast, and in some cases that you cast one at all.
Which means they are as bright on the astral as you are, and just as visible, so observing you surreptitiously is a problem. Spy drones wouldn't see dick all, as they are drones, data recorders would only see the dude lost the fight and not you rummageing around in his mind, and that is only if you left them intact for retrieval later, cause if he's that important odds are he's smart enough to not run an open pan to cyberware in a hot zone.

Also who said I'm the one using the info. Sell it, store it, release it anonously on the internet if its really funny stuff, or perhaps just start building a data cache to be released so many hours after your pan goes off line just to blackmail people who originally owned the data and keep them from coming after you for it.
Depending on its value, and how you got it, I'm sure an info broker contact would be very interested in buying it.

They'd have to know you had access to the person with the information in question, and then they'd likely kill you anyway if they were so important. I honestly don't see a down side.

Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ May 5 2009, 10:48 PM) *
So "most people" have a way to defend against a reaction wired sammy with a semi automatic grenade launcher? "Most people" can defend against a long burst from a MMG with full recoil comp? The sami will likely have 5 skill, 7+ attribute, +2 smart gun, +2 specialization, +1 enhanced articulation, +1 reflex recorders, and perhaps a +2 if his pan is set up to help get tactical data from drones and other team mates... so tossing about 20ish dice... against 3 dice reaction....

Well most people don't run around with semi automatic grenade launchers and MMGs, on top of that just because most people in your game toss 20+ dice doesn't mean most people toss 20+ dice. according to the polls its more like in the 12-14 dice range. If control thoughts required a similar level of specialization to pull off I don't think there would be an issue, problem is its so powerful you don't need it. All you proved is some other things can be broken to, whopedy do. No on ever claimed that you can't make characters insta kill machines in other routes. The big difference is control thoughts is insta kill right out of the gate even when playing a totally gimped mage. It even overpowers the other magic spells as in its not balanced within its own archtype.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 6 2009, 09:26 PM) *
Well most people don't run around with semi automatic grenade launchers and MMGs,

The damage I listed was for an assault rifle which most runners do have.

on top of that just because most people in your game toss 20+ dice doesn't mean most people toss 20+ dice.

That isn't even optimized. Nothing I listed was hard, expensive or rare. Most starting samis will likely have a 5 in their preferred fire arm, an agility of 5 with 2 points in some muscle ware. A specialization is cheap to get, smart guns are nearly ubiquitous, as is EXEX ammo.

If control thoughts required a similar level of specialization to pull off I don't think there would be an issue, problem is its so powerful you don't need it. All you proved is some other things can be broken to, whopedy do.

People who can do this are far easier to make and use then a caster.

No on ever claimed that you can't make characters insta kill machines in other routes. The big difference is control thoughts is insta kill right out of the gate even when playing a totally gimped mage. It even overpowers the other magic spells as in its not balanced within its own archtype.

That gimped mage your talking about still takes a TON of bp to build, and as such should get something for its money.

Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ May 7 2009, 01:07 AM) *
The damage I listed was for an assault rifle which most runners do have.

And yet you still wont be running around with one much, any automatic is hard to conceal so is hard to run around with.

That isn't even optimized. Nothing I listed was hard, expensive or rare. Most starting samis will likely have a 5 in their preferred fire arm, an agility of 5 with 2 points in some muscle ware. A specialization is cheap to get, smart guns are nearly ubiquitous, as is EXEX ammo.

And yet, most people still don't roll 20 dice, odd.

People who can do this are far easier to make and use then a caster.

No, the mage is far easier to make.

That gimped mage your talking about still takes a TON of bp to build, and as such should get something for its money.

No the mage doesn't. The mage is absurdly cheap to make. Still overall I don't think magic is brokenly overpowered. Just this spell set. Given that they have out of combat utility it would be nice if these spells where a bit weaker than stun bolt but no they are easier to pull off and more powerful. Its not magic we are against just these spells which are far and away more powerful than any other spells in the game. If they invented a new cyberware initiative booster that let you have 6ip and +6 to your reaction score for 2 essence, I'd be complaining it is too powerful compared to other cyber gear. While overall cyber types are not unbalanced that piece of gear is. I personally think the semi auto grenade launcher is too powerful especially for a small weapon. If it were huge and obvious I'd less of an issue though it would still seem a bit over the top.(though in 4a and no extra DV for net hits not as much)
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 7 2009, 07:36 AM) *
The mage is absurdly cheap to make.
Really? One aditional attribute, 15+ BP Qualities, 3BP per spell, not counting BPs for skills noone else needs. For that amount you can get alot of 'ware.
Still overall I don't think magic is brokenly overpowered. Just this spell set. Given that they have out of combat utility it would be nice if these spells where a bit weaker than stun bolt but no they are easier to pull off and more powerful. Its not magic we are against just these spells which are far and away more powerful than any other spells in the game.
I still don't get, why these spells are more powerfull than a stunbolt/stunball.
Let's see:
Mage A casts a force 9 stunball at a group of WIL 3 Mooks. With his Magic of 5 and spellcasting five he is hardly optimised. All mooks with less than 3 successes with 3 dice drop unconscious. This takes up one Complex Action The Drain is 5P. Unless the mage has a big soakpool he'll receive some phyiscal damage.

Mage B casts a force 5 Mob mind with the same pool at a similar crowd. Everyone is under his spell after the fist complex action. He has to soak 6S. Unless he has 12 or more soak dice, 3 boxes of stun and remain and thus a -1 penalty is likely. Then he has to use a simple action to order the crowd, which then starts to kill each other, given that they are mooks it probably won't work in one round. During all this time the mage is at -3 (-1 drain, -2 sustained spell.) In addition he has the problem of being considered a mass murderer if someone detects his involvement. Mage A only faces several charges of assault.

I think that is pretty balanced.
If they invented a new cyberware initiative booster that let you have 6ip and +6 to your reaction score for 2 essence, I'd be complaining it is too powerful compared to other cyber gear. While overall cyber types are not unbalanced that piece of gear is. I personally think the semi auto grenade launcher is too powerful especially for a small weapon. If it were huge and obvious I'd less of an issue though it would still seem a bit over the top.(though in 4a and no extra DV for net hits not as much)
Where do you draw the line? An Ares Alpha is better (and more costly) than an AK 98, would you like to ban that weapon as well?
Larme
First of all, the suggestions of changing the rules in response to a player using them to their advantage? Horrible. The GM controls the entire world, and can use any number of creative tactics to thwart a player. You can kill the player at whim in whatever way you choose, and your only recourse is to alter the rules? That's just lazy. "Sorry player, I don't want to challenge myself by thinking, I'll simply prevent you from doing what you're doing, even though I didn't warn you not to do it when you first made the character." Bogus. I didn't read anyone considering it as a serious solution, I just wanted to throw my 2 yen at that particular issue.

Anyway, it shouldn't be that hard to challenge the mage. For one thing, you have ambushes. The mage won't be able to remove the enemies from combat before they're a threat if they ambush the team. Also, if they get in close, Mob Mind will end up affecting the team as well, unless the mage restricts the area, which causes a big dice penalty. I figure that other team members won't like being controlled with Mob Mind. Group commands also won't be that useful either -- if the command is "walk away like nothing happened," then all members of the team will start going their separate ways... If you're forced to control the gangers individually with simple actions, then the ones who haven't been issued any commands are still free to act, and beat the tar out of the mage.

Also, there's the fact that Control Thoughts does take over someone's mind, but only until they shake it off. And once they shake it off, they don't forget what just happened to them. You only control their thoughts as long as the spell lasts, but once it drops, they'll realize that something just happened, and they'll raise the alarm. It's not like Influence, where they think it was their idea, and it's not like Alter Memory where they forget that it ever happened. They are fully conscious, and their memories are not altered, they are just forced to obey the commands while they are being controlled. Of course, if you see some gangers standing around in front of you, you can Mob Mind them and make them kill themselves. But if they're not standing around in the open like doofuses, if you can't catch them in the area without hitting your own team too, then that's not an option, and Mob Mind becomes effectively useless as a way to remove them from the combat.

Note as well that Mob Mind doesn't give you access to their mind. You can tell them what to do, but not know what they know. If you want to find out information, Mob Mind and Control Thoughts are pointless. IMO, if you tell them "Tell me the password," they'll just say "The password." If you ask them "Tell me where I can find the girl!" they'll just say "Where I can find the girl." They have to obey your commands, not answer your questions. That's what Mind Probe is for.

So, the short answer is, make the missions a little more complicated. Don't make them all situations where the enemies are clustered together in one place, and the PCs can walk up and neutralize them. Let there be ambushes, let the enemies get close before the mage can act, let the goal be more than "clear out the gangers and grab the macguffin." If the mage is breaking all your encounters, then the problem is with your encounters, not the mage. Keep in mind that even if there was no mage, if you've got a top notch set of PCs, the gangers wouldn't matter anyway. Instead of your mage clearing them out with a single Mob Mind, your combat characters would destroy them within 3-6 seconds of suppressed/silenced gunfire. They're gangers! I hear it a lot, but I'm always nonplused when a GM says "I'm using small numbers of crappy gangers as the main enemies in my current plot, and it's not even a challenge for my players!" Of course it isn't! Gangers are the small fry. Unless your PCs are also small fry, it won't create any seriously fun action when they have to fight gangers. The one time when gangers can really be a source of action is when there are a lot of them.

If you really want gangers to be dangerous, here's what you do. After the PCs have poked around and pissed the gang off, wait until nightfall when the PCs are outside. And then suddenly, what do you hear? About 25 motorcycles approaching fast. It's dark, so the mage has a pretty severe penalty. And what's this? Headlights from two dozen bikes impose a heavy glare penalty! If the mage has cybereyes to negate this kind of thing, change it from an ambush on bikes to an ambush out of a blind alley -- the PCs come down an alley and suddenly dozens of gangers pour out of dumpsters, windows, manhole covers, surrounding them before the mage can use his AoE spells without hitting his own team! They might suck, but if there's a lot of them then they'll get a huge Friends in Melee bonus to pound the crap out of your PCs. They'll have to run away, set traps, be a little clever for once... Clever GMing leads to clever playing, and uninspired GMing leads to boring playing. It's sad that so much rides on the GM being creative, but it does. You have to challenge yourself as a GM not to screw the players over by changing the rules to nerf them, but by creating situations where the rules already tilt the balance of power away from the players and they have to think creatively to succeed.
Draco18s
Control Mob Mage:

Human
Attributes:
2 in all of them (90 BP, including Edge and Magic).

Qualities:
Mage (15 BP)

Spells:
Mob Control (3BP)

Skills:
Spellcasting 2 (manipulation +2) (10 BP)

Total cost: 118BP

Effectiveness:
6 dice to casting Mob Control at Force 2 (average 2 successes or more, 60+% chance of success) vs. Willpower

I've already shown that the average NPC with Willpower 3 can't overcome a Force 2 mind control spell on the first resistance check, in which case the target(s) die. Doesn't do so well on resisting the drain (how much is the drain on Mob Control?) with only 4 dice, but he isn't going to fall unconscious.

Adding the cheese:
Spellcasting 6 (manipulation) (+16 BP)
Magic 4 (+20BP)
Improved Initiative (3BP)
Sustaining Focus 3 (don't know the cost offhand, under 20BP?)
Mentor Spirit (15BP? Get one that adds dice to Manipulation spells)
Total additional cost: 74BP (192BP)

Effectiveness:
14 dice* to casting Mob Mind at up to Force 8, though will need increased stats to mitigate the drain.
10 dice to casting Improved Initiative, decent chance for 3 passes, sustaining focus to keep it active.

I've just outdone your average streetsam in dice (12-14) without hard capping magic (+2 more dice for 16 total, grab a fetish?), and can keep up with your average combat monkey (getting 4 IP at chargen is near impossible--if you need it, there are drugs).

And I did it under 200BP.

*Edit: had a 15 here, either it or the 10 was a mistake in math, I could only find 14 dice when I went to fix it.
Jaid
you can control their thoughts to "i should tell the mage <insert desired information here>" and they will then spill their guts.

you can also simply order everyone to stop fighting if you catch your allies in the AOE, then tell your allies to leave the AOE (which will then release them), then do whatever you like with the others. compare this to manaballing or stunballing the area... your allies come out with 0 boxes of damage taken in the mind control situation, and probably come out of it with several boxes of damage if you drop a force 9 stunball on the area, and potentially even go into physical damage instead of just stun.
Draco18s
Except that it takes a Force 5 or 6 Stunball to knock out the group, where as it only takes a Force 2 or 3 to Mob Control them.

I think my next character with have the spell knack Control Thoughts.

That might get my GM to ban the spell...which honestly I don't want him to do, but it would probably come to that.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 7 2009, 09:00 AM) *
Except that it takes a Force 5 or 6 Stunball to knock out the group,
With 4 or 5 net hits this is true, but consistantly gathering 5-6 gross hits needs a pretty skilled mage, not to metntion the weird optional drain rule of SR4A
where as it only takes a Force 2 or 3 to Mob Control them.
Unless someone rolls 2 or three hits on the first resistance roll.
Jaid
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 7 2009, 02:24 AM) *
Unless someone rolls 2 or three hits on the first resistance roll.

with 3 dice (average opponent's willpower) it's very unlikely. even on 6 dice (3 willpower + 3 counterspelling) it's not all that likely to get 3 hits, let alone 4 or 5 if the mage decides to up the force of his spellcasting a little.
Zurai
QUOTE (Jaid @ May 7 2009, 02:44 AM) *
with 3 dice (average opponent's willpower) it's very unlikely. even on 6 dice (3 willpower + 3 counterspelling) it's not all that likely to get 3 hits, let alone 4 or 5 if the mage decides to up the force of his spellcasting a little.

Errr.... no.

With 3 dice, you have a ~31% chance to get at least two 5's or 6's, and a ~6% chance to get 3. 31% is very, very far from "very unlikely". As a matter of fact, in a group of 5 people, it's ~85% likely that at least one person will completely resist the spell.
paws2sky
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 6 2009, 10:19 AM) *
Also it is not so clear that as long as the target is not fulfilling orders he ca act independently:
QUOTE (SR4A p. 210)
This can just as well be interpreted as the target does not do anything unless ordered.

Its probably also reasonable to assume that the target continues doing what it's doing until its told to stop. After all, "stop what you're doing" is a command, isn't it?

As for social/reputation fallout, well... that's where the GM needs to start handing out Notoriety.

-paws
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Larme @ May 7 2009, 06:29 AM) *
First of all, the suggestions of changing the rules in response to a player using them to their advantage? Horrible. The GM controls the entire world, and can use any number of creative tactics to thwart a player. You can kill the player at whim in whatever way you choose, and your only recourse is to alter the rules? That's just lazy. "Sorry player, I don't want to challenge myself by thinking, I'll simply prevent you from doing what you're doing, even though I didn't warn you not to do it when you first made the character." Bogus. I didn't read anyone considering it as a serious solution, I just wanted to throw my 2 yen at that particular issue.

Anyway, it shouldn't be that hard to challenge the mage. For one thing, you have ambushes. The mage won't be able to remove the enemies from combat before they're a threat if they ambush the team. Also, if they get in close, Mob Mind will end up affecting the team as well, unless the mage restricts the area, which causes a big dice penalty. I figure that other team members won't like being controlled with Mob Mind. Group commands also won't be that useful either -- if the command is "walk away like nothing happened," then all members of the team will start going their separate ways... If you're forced to control the gangers individually with simple actions, then the ones who haven't been issued any commands are still free to act, and beat the tar out of the mage.

Also, there's the fact that Control Thoughts does take over someone's mind, but only until they shake it off. And once they shake it off, they don't forget what just happened to them. You only control their thoughts as long as the spell lasts, but once it drops, they'll realize that something just happened, and they'll raise the alarm. It's not like Influence, where they think it was their idea, and it's not like Alter Memory where they forget that it ever happened. They are fully conscious, and their memories are not altered, they are just forced to obey the commands while they are being controlled. Of course, if you see some gangers standing around in front of you, you can Mob Mind them and make them kill themselves. But if they're not standing around in the open like doofuses, if you can't catch them in the area without hitting your own team too, then that's not an option, and Mob Mind becomes effectively useless as a way to remove them from the combat.

Note as well that Mob Mind doesn't give you access to their mind. You can tell them what to do, but not know what they know. If you want to find out information, Mob Mind and Control Thoughts are pointless. IMO, if you tell them "Tell me the password," they'll just say "The password." If you ask them "Tell me where I can find the girl!" they'll just say "Where I can find the girl." They have to obey your commands, not answer your questions. That's what Mind Probe is for.

So, the short answer is, make the missions a little more complicated. Don't make them all situations where the enemies are clustered together in one place, and the PCs can walk up and neutralize them. Let there be ambushes, let the enemies get close before the mage can act, let the goal be more than "clear out the gangers and grab the macguffin." If the mage is breaking all your encounters, then the problem is with your encounters, not the mage. Keep in mind that even if there was no mage, if you've got a top notch set of PCs, the gangers wouldn't matter anyway. Instead of your mage clearing them out with a single Mob Mind, your combat characters would destroy them within 3-6 seconds of suppressed/silenced gunfire. They're gangers! I hear it a lot, but I'm always nonplused when a GM says "I'm using small numbers of crappy gangers as the main enemies in my current plot, and it's not even a challenge for my players!" Of course it isn't! Gangers are the small fry. Unless your PCs are also small fry, it won't create any seriously fun action when they have to fight gangers. The one time when gangers can really be a source of action is when there are a lot of them.

If you really want gangers to be dangerous, here's what you do. After the PCs have poked around and pissed the gang off, wait until nightfall when the PCs are outside. And then suddenly, what do you hear? About 25 motorcycles approaching fast. It's dark, so the mage has a pretty severe penalty. And what's this? Headlights from two dozen bikes impose a heavy glare penalty! If the mage has cybereyes to negate this kind of thing, change it from an ambush on bikes to an ambush out of a blind alley -- the PCs come down an alley and suddenly dozens of gangers pour out of dumpsters, windows, manhole covers, surrounding them before the mage can use his AoE spells without hitting his own team! They might suck, but if there's a lot of them then they'll get a huge Friends in Melee bonus to pound the crap out of your PCs. They'll have to run away, set traps, be a little clever for once... Clever GMing leads to clever playing, and uninspired GMing leads to boring playing. It's sad that so much rides on the GM being creative, but it does. You have to challenge yourself as a GM not to screw the players over by changing the rules to nerf them, but by creating situations where the rules already tilt the balance of power away from the players and they have to think creatively to succeed.

Great post. For me, everything is said in this text . If you let the player dance on the table, you are a lousy cat. That´t it.
Larme
QUOTE (Jaid @ May 7 2009, 02:58 AM) *
you can control their thoughts to "i should tell the mage <insert desired information here>" and they will then spill their guts.

First of all, the spell says you have to issue them commands. It might be called "control thoughts," but per RAW it's not really absolute control over their mind. You can't let the title "control thoughts" dictate the rules -- the title is pretty much fluff, the rules are listed in the spell description. The description says that the caster directs everything the target does by controlling their mind. "The caster mentally gives commands with a Simple Action and the target is compelled to obey." They clearly don't control everything the target thinks, they only control the target's actions by giving commands. You can't tell them "you think you want to give this person money." Or maybe you could, but it wouldn't do anything. They would obey the command by thinking "I want to give this person money." But since your command was not to give the money, they don't give it. The way to limit this spell is to follow a strict interpretation of the rules -- the targets obey commands literally, since the only requirement is that they obey the command. The requirement is not that they obey the command just like the caster wanted them to.

What you describe is actually illegal under the rules. You must give a command to them, which they must obey. You don't actually control their thoughts and make them want to do something, you command them to do something directly. You could command them "I command you to want to tell the mage everything." And then they would want to do it, but wouldn't do it, because that's not required to obey the command. Or you could command them "I command you to tell the mage everything," in which case they'd look at the mage and say "Everything." And you might even be more strict than that -- if you Control Thoughts on a guard outside of a door, you might tell him "Input the keycode and let us in," in which case he'd go over to the keypad and start punching "the keycode" using numbers. You could tell him "let us into this building," and he'd stand aside and say "you may enter this building." You might try "open the door" and then "let us in" with two simple actions, in which case he might open the door, let you in, and then sound the alarm once the spell wears off. You might try "Open the door," "let us in," and then "leave the area quietly," in which case he would open, let you in, and wander away. And then 2 minutes later when he shrugged off the spell, he'd come back and hit the alarm. Again, it doesn't erase memories -- as soon as the spell is off, they'll realize they let an unauthorized person into the building for no reason, and act accordingly. You couldn't command them to forget that you were there -- whether or not that even worked, it wouldn't work anymore the second the spell was off.

Everything I've listed here is 100% within the RAW -- it says that the target is required to obey the command, and that's it. As long as their actions do not disobey the command, it's within the RAW. Having the targets follow the commands literally allows the spell to be less broken without a house rule, as it's completely within RAW. Also, it means there's a reason to have more than just Control Thoughts. They might need Mind Probe, Analyze Truth, etc. to get information from people.

you can also simply order everyone to stop fighting if you catch your allies in the AOE, then tell your allies to leave the AOE (which will then release them), then do whatever you like with the others. compare this to manaballing or stunballing the area... your allies come out with 0 boxes of damage taken in the mind control situation, and probably come out of it with several boxes of damage if you drop a force 9 stunball on the area, and potentially even go into physical damage instead of just stun.

You could do that, but you can only issue commands to individual members or the whole group. That means you'd need to take a simple action per ally to have them "go 10 meters away from here" or whatever. By the time you're finished commanding them all, the targets may be out from under the spell and beating the tar out of you. Or, horror of horrors, they might be more than one group of badguys! Let's say some gangers with swords and clubs ambush your team and you have to Control Thoughts to stop them from beating on you. And then it turns out there are gangers on a nearby roof and they're going to huck molotov cocktails at you! In the meantime, your allies would be standing still, unable to help fight against the second group because you as the mage control "everything the target does," per the spell description (yeah, I know I supposed that they could still act independently earlier, but I changed my mind after reading that quote from the RAW). So before you can command all of your allies to leave the area one at a time, the second group of enemies sets you all on fire. Or they shoot you, whatever. The point is, very basic tactics such as "enemies in more than one group" tend to negate this spell pretty well. Of course, you could Control Thoughts one group of enemies and tell them "Attack that other group!" But again, they might do it literally -- they might attack with their hands and feet instead of their guns. They might pick up rocks off the ground and attack them with those. Or if the GM is clever and one groups on a roof and the other is in the street, they'll start rushing up or down the stairs, only to have the spell wear off partway through, and then they'll come back.

Regardless of the tactics that can defeat this, there's the simple matter of your teammates not liking it when you control their thoughts. I know that many mundane characters I've played would threaten an allied mage with bodily harm if they ever did that. Using Mob Mind on the team without their consent would be a definite blow to intra-team relations as long as the other team members have even a basic level of roleplaying skill. Also, using Mob Mind with the team in the AoE is a total buzzkill for the other players -- what are they, chopped liver? If some gangers ambush the team at close range, maybe the other team members should have a chance for once, and they should take care of it instead of letting the mage try to do it with Mob Mind, a tool which is very poorly suited to the task.
Blade
The last posts makes me wonder what would happen if a 1 IP mage controls a 2 IP guard and ask him (with his first action) to open a door for him: the guard will open the door with his first action... But what then? Is he free to use his second action as he wants?

Mage : "Open the door"
*Guard opens the door*
Guard : "What am I doing ?"
*Guard closes the door*
Mage : "Open the door!"
*Guard opens the door*
Guard : "Again?"
*Guard closes the door*
Mage : "Keep the door open!"
Guard : "I can't keep it open, it's closed!"
Mage : "Open the door and keep it open!"
*Guard opens the door and keeps it open during his first IP*
Guard : "Why do I keep opening this door?"
* Guard closes the door *
Dakka Dakka
Open the door and keep it open is a valid order. The target is compelled to obey. If he closed the door again, he wouldn't obey the order any longer. While issueing an order take a simple action, the fulfillment of this order can take a lot longer, as long as the target remains in the area of effect and the spell is not broken.

Another issue came to my mind, how can a target expend a complex action to resist after Force turns if he is already doing something that uses his actions?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Zurai @ May 7 2009, 05:07 AM) *
Errr.... no.

With 3 dice, you have a ~31% chance to get at least two 5's or 6's, and a ~6% chance to get 3. 31% is very, very far from "very unlikely". As a matter of fact, in a group of 5 people, it's ~85% likely that at least one person will completely resist the spell.

So you use a low force Mob Control and one or two resist completely.

The rest blow their brains out.

A group of 10 just became a group of 2. I fail to see the justification on how this is "ok."
crizh
QUOTE (Larme @ May 7 2009, 04:03 PM) *
Massive logical contortions.

What you keep doing here is inserting a bunch of quotation marks that don't exist into these instructions thus allowing targets to interpret orders in counter-intuitive ways.

You could just as easily argue that the command:

Shoot yourself.

can be interpreted :

Shoot 'yourself'.

resulting in the target opening a Dictionary and shooting the entry for 'yourself'.

You have allowed the target to stop parsing the command as instructions and to start parsing it as data to be acted upon by the preceding instructions.

You have done so arbitrarily at a point in the command where doing so supports your spurious argument with no other basis for so doing.

crizh
QUOTE (Blade @ May 7 2009, 05:46 PM) *
The last posts makes me wonder what would happen if a 1 IP mage controls a 2 IP guard and ask him (with his first action) to open a door for him: the guard will open the door with his first action... But what then? Is he free to use his second action as he wants?

Mage : "Open the door"
*Guard opens the door*
Guard : "What am I doing ?"
*Guard closes the door*
Mage : "Open the door!"
*Guard opens the door*
Guard : "Again?"
*Guard closes the door*
Mage : "Keep the door open!"
Guard : "I can't keep it open, it's closed!"
Mage : "Open the door and keep it open!"
*Guard opens the door and keeps it open during his first IP*
Guard : "Why do I keep opening this door?"
* Guard closes the door *

QUOTE (BBB p203)
The caster seizes control of the target's mind, directing everything the target does.

The caster directs everything the target does. Ergo the target does not do anything that the caster does not direct him to do.

Which means as soon as you are affected by these spells you stop taking actions of any sort until the caster tells you to do something.
Blade
Ok. I was suspecting something like this, but I didn't have the book to confirm it.
Too bad, I like these stupid scenes a lot. (Hopefully I still have Dying Earth to play these).
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 7 2009, 11:57 AM) *
Another issue came to my mind, how can a target expend a complex action to resist after Force turns if he is already doing something that uses his actions?

Since all Mental Manipulations are subject to this rule, I would assume it overrides the specifics of the spell, allowing the target to take a Complex action and wrestle with the magic, regardless of what the spell would otherwise have him doing.
Larme
QUOTE (crizh @ May 7 2009, 01:01 PM) *
What you keep doing here is inserting a bunch of quotation marks that don't exist into these instructions thus allowing targets to interpret orders in counter-intuitive ways.

You could just as easily argue that the command:

Shoot yourself.

can be interpreted :

Shoot 'yourself'.

resulting in the target opening a Dictionary and shooting the entry for 'yourself'.

You have allowed the target to stop parsing the command as instructions and to start parsing it as data to be acted upon by the preceding instructions.

You have done so arbitrarily at a point in the command where doing so supports your spurious argument with no other basis for so doing.

I don't think that's a literal interpretation of the command. Shooting a word in a dictionary is not an accepted meaning of the words "shoot yourself." So no, you can't argue that "just as easily." By your logic, I'd have to think about, when someone asked me for the keys, whether they mean the keys that I have, or the word keys in the dictionary. A little far fetched, don't you think? And your example falls apart pretty quickly anyway, all I have to do is say "shoot yourself in the head," and there's no other possible meaning. Even if they interpret the command as "Shoot 'yourself in the head,'" that doesn't change the meaning, it's surplus punctuation that doesn't do anything.

However, "tell me the password" could just as likely as not mean to tell you the words "the password." The only way to tell the difference is if the person can see whether there are quotation marks around "the password," which they can't do. The caster controls everything the target does, but the caster is not granted access to the target's knowledge and memories, he can only issue commands. Think about it like a marionette -- it doesn't do anything you don't make it do, you can't start it dancing and then have it keep going on its own. The same with the target of Control Thoughts. They can't do something that you can't command. You don't know the password, so you can't command them to speak the password. If you tell them to, they'll just follow your command to the letter and say "the password." You cannot, using one simple command, cause them to act on your behalf as if they're willingly doing it, they are under deep mind control and will only perform commands to the letter, the very most basic way they can. If you want someone's death to look like a suicide, you're not going to get results saying "Write a convincing suicide note." They're just write down, "A convincing suicide note." You have to tell them each sentence to write, like "Write: Dear friends, I have grown tired of life. I will therefore now shoot myself. Goodbye forever." Of course, there's no guarantee that they'll write it with proper spacing or capitalization or punctuation. They can't see the words of your command in their head, they can only hear them, and while they must obey, the spell can't require them to be inventive and go for the meaning of what you said, rather than the literal interpretation. What I'm arguing, in other words, is that people affected by Control Thoughts follow the RAW, never the RAI. And they do it in the least useful way possible, within belief, otherwise the spell is too powerful.

I'm not saying that this is the only possible interpretation, I'm saying that it's best from a balance standpoint and still within the RAW.

There are only 3 reasons you'd want to use your interpretation instead of mine:

a) You are an SR4 detractor who argues broken interpretations as a matter of course, in order to use that as a means of attacking the game and those who like it. You can't accept a non-broken interpretation, because that means you'd be wrong about how horrible the game is, and wouldn't be able to use this as yet another "flaw" in the RAW to beat people with.

b) You like to play mental manipulations mages, and you don't want this spell to be nerfed, you want it to be all powerful so your characters continue to be all powerful.

c) You think the spell is still perfectly fair and balanced under your interpretation, there's no reason to require a literal reading of the commands because it's completely fair as it is.

If you don't mind my asking, which is it? That way, I can more directly address your concerns instead of just responding to your arguments tit for tat.
The Mack
QUOTE (Larme @ May 8 2009, 03:02 AM) *
However, "tell me the password" could just as likely as not mean to tell you the words "the password." The only way to tell the difference is if the person can see whether there are quotation marks around "the password," which they can't do. ...

bunch of stuff

You keep putting this idea forward that the target has room to wiggle out of the effects of the spell, but they don't.

There is no room for creative interpretation.

"The caster seizes control of the target’s mind, directing everything the target does."

Not to mention that every target, everywhere, acting like this - and having the balls to continue to try to frustrate a mage with the power to seize total control of their mind - would be completely unbelievable and metagamey.
Draco18s
The stupid test:

However, "tell me the password" could just as likely as not mean to tell you the words "the password."

Is this stupid?

HELL FUCKING YES IT IS.

Shut up Larme.

</exit thread>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012