Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guns...which ones? and why?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Bob Lord of Evil
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jun 6 2009, 02:51 AM) *
I actually just noticed this, but...

Did nobody mention to Catalyst that the "12" part of Auto Assault 12 is not a model number?

It refers to the shotgun shell gauge size.

The bigger the number, the smaller (and less powerful) the shotgun shell.

So an AA-16 would be a pathetically underpowered weapon for urban combat.

Also, nearly every article about the modern day AA-12 also discusses the FRAG-12 shaped charge HE ammo that is expected to be fielded with the shotgun for specialty use. Yet the shotgun gets into Arsenal but the ammo does not.

The SR4 rules state that a 16 gauge is underpowered for urban combat? What damage rating do they give to it as compared to a 12 gauge?
Critias
Of course they don't say anything about a 12 gauge versus a 16 gauge, or a 9mm versus a .45, or anything like that (they never have, and sadly never will). Instead, they seem to just be misunderstanding the numbering convention of the weapon in question. The real-life Auto Assault 12 is named that because it fires 12 gauge ammunition. They tacked a few numbers onto it to make up a Shadowrun version (the Auto Assault 16, following the same naming conventions as the M-23, the AK-97, etc)...either not knowing, or caring, that the number involved meant something.

They just made it a little higher number to say it was from the future, and left it at that.
Bob Lord of Evil
Ahhh...I see. Thought I had missed something major. Much like C-4 (Composition 4) actually means something where as C-12 in SR3 kind of misses the point. grinbig.gif
blindfox
ah, another subject near and dear to my heart... >:)
im not going to go into the concealability issues brought up here by other posts into much detail but simply the practical applications i have found.

first, id like to address the shotgun point:
the shotgun is a wonderful tool. predominately we use them for breaching doors- aiming not for the knob/lock but the hinges. slug ammunition is good for putting a running engine out of commision to stop a vehicle that is trying to run past your traffic control point. remember, though, that you should not shoot slugs out of a shotgun with a choke. shot ammunition is great for sweeping rooms but generally a bad idea when collateral damage is an issue. also, a shotgun is one of the easiest firearms to become proficient with and is therefore one of the most widely used firearms today (discounting the AK-47). racking a round in a shotgun is an almost universally known sound and, as such, is a potent psychological multiplier. be aware of over-penetration in self defense roles where thin walls are concerned; check your backstop.

assault rifles are generally, in my opinion, the ultimate tool for urban and rural combat up to 300m. they are relatively light, accurate, and powerful with a strong opportunity for followup shots. i should note that an assault rifle is best suited to semi-automatic fire in controlled pairs and well-aimed shots. burst fire is a last resort- that's what light machine guns are for. typical training teaches us to put two in the chest and one in the head. the first will impact the armor and, in the case of a ceramic plate, will cause it to deteriorate to the point where the second round penetrates. when all else fails (or the guy is on some sweet drugs) go for the insurance round.
(aside: when an instant incapacitation is desired your aimpoint should be midway between the nostrils and the top of the lips from the front, or at the base and in line with the center of the ear from the side. this targets the medulla oblongata, the motor strip, of the brain. without this organ no impulses are transmitted to the CNS.)
to tie in with an earlier point, i carried my M4 at the ready, a pistol handy (on a vest, or strapped to my thigh when ghillied up) and my sniper rifle (M24) in a "drag bag" on my back. the long gun was not broken out until i was in my hide.
and from experience, dont try to clear a house with a sniper rifle.

sub machine guns will suffice in close quarters as has been stated in prior posts, so i wont go into this one too far. a good substitute for an assault rifle when over-penetration is an issue. however, due to the lesser velocity and ft/lbs of kinetic energy (knockdown power) i would recommend burst fire. also, unlike the assault rifle, the submachine gun is great for quiet work. perhaps in another post down the road i can get all wiz-bang crazy on describing silencers, their design, principles, and employment...

pistols? well, the uses of pistols are well known enough that i doubt there's anything useful i could post here. one thing i could think to mention though: make sure you know how to clear a malfunction. if you cant quickly clear a double-feed you're boned. of course if you get a stovepipe, you're boned anyway and retreat, er... "tactical withdrawl" is probably your best option.

at the risk of prattling on any longer than i already have, all i will say about sniper rifles is dont even try to engage a target at less than 75m. unless your target is inanimate and immobile, you'll have a very hard time maintaining a sight picture.

generally, my characters stick with pistols since you can get them and take them most anywhere. they're great silenced and have a multitude of accessories. shotguns are great and handy but i usually dont want to slot the points in that skill since there are so many more that are important. besides i can always default skill to skill (i play SR3) and my characters invariable have somewhere a slivergun or roomsweeper. i only give my characters skill in assault rifles if it fits the background story i created before i crunch numbers. in the case of the twins, they should certainly be more than proficient with pistols but their proficiencies with other weapons should be based on their backgrounds and what has been available for them to train with.
yorks6988
My personal favorite is the Enfield AS-7 shotgun. With burst fire and a 24 round drum, things can get real mushy when you get into 2 or 3 IPs.

One question though. If it could be modified to shoot 10 or 8 gauge rounds, how much extra DV would you give it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (yorks6988 @ Jun 6 2009, 12:43 PM) *
My personal favorite is the Enfield AS-7 shotgun. With burst fire and a 24 round drum, things can get real mushy when you get into 2 or 3 IPs.

One question though. If it could be modified to shoot 10 or 8 gauge rounds, how much extra DV would you give it.

Definitely a nice weapon...
12 Guage is .72 caliber and is pretty brutal when you are using Magnum 3" rounds...

If you Modified the guage of the weapon (like in the Cannon Companion of 3rd Edition)? Probably only a +1 DV more (Maybe +2 if you went all the way to a 4 Guage round)...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 4 2009, 02:42 PM) *
Becouse sniper rifles are really impractical to use in close quater combat( rules don't say anythink about this, but i think most GM:s will)
And shotguns are much cheaper then sniper rifles and if you get yourself one that is capable of burstfire the shotgun does pretty much same damage as sniper rifle or more.

And this doesn't even address the issue of legality: there are fully automatic shotguns that are completely legal to carry down the street, while every single sniper rifle is illegal as drek.

QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 4 2009, 02:53 PM) *
Conveniently, SR4A does address this, adding a chance that you'll screw up your sniper rifle if you try to use it as a battle rifle. Admittedly, the MA-2100 is exempt from part of this, and I'd imagine the next Arsenal errata will also extend this exemption to the Desert Strike, but that's another story.

The Desert Strike is based on the Accuracy International L96A1 Arctic Warfare sniper rifle in real world use. Have a look: http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn06-e.htm
It's a very robust weapon, earning a distinguished record in the mountains of Afghanistan while being primarily designed to cope with arctic environments (precisely the description of the Desert Strike if you read the "Extreme Environment Lv 1" modification). It is NOT designed for CQB or (heavens forfend) hand-to-hand fighting. Now, given the advances in 6th world materials technology, I can see it where it could be MODIFIED easier than many rifles to that spec, but it would still not be standard as is mentioned on the MA-2100.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jun 4 2009, 11:04 PM) *
We've got some house rules for shotguns that go back to SR1 when we decided that a) shot ammo is cheap and b) shot is bad for rifling.

Except there's no reason the "shot" couldn't be in a cheap plastic sabot that falls away as soon as it leaves the barrel, but you'd be restricted to a tight pattern.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 6 2009, 12:59 PM) *
And this doesn't even address the issue of legality: there are fully automatic shotguns that are completely legal to carry down the street, while every single sniper rifle is illegal as drek.

The Desert Strike is based on the Accuracy International L96A1 Arctic Warfare sniper rifle in real world use. Have a look: http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn06-e.htm
It's a very robust weapon, earning a distinguished record in the mountains of Afghanistan while being primarily designed to cope with arctic environments (precisely the description of the Desert Strike if you read the "Extreme Environment Lv 1" modification). It is NOT designed for CQB or (heavens forfend) hand-to-hand fighting. Now, given the advances in 6th world materials technology, I can see it where it could be MODIFIED easier than many rifles to that spec, but it would still not be standard as is mentioned on the MA-2100.

I tend to prefer the HK-PSG1 Enforcer... A rifle robust enough to stick around for 80 years has gotta be good... aside from the fact that it is THE top of the line sniper rifle in existence today in my opinion... and not nearly as heavy as the Barrett (Weapon system OR rounds)...
Kerenshara
Kerenshara's choices and why:

Hold Out: Morrisey Elan with hermetically sealed densiplast rounds; It's tiny, stylish (when that counts), easy to conceal and doesn't show up on mad scanners.
==>When concealability matters

Light Pistol: Light Fire 70 using the "special" silencer with the following mods: Dual Magazines, electronic firing, smartgun link and skinlink; It's still small, the silencer is "same availability as the weapon" which means "R" not "F", the silencer gives an extra -1 to perception, the electronic firing negates the double tap recoil as well as giving another -1 to perception and means I don't have any spent brass to police, and the two mags mean I can go from subsonic ammunition to capsule/DMSO-Narcojet if I need to be non-lethal, nil wireless signal.
==>Standard day-to-day pistol that she keeps in her jacket.

Heavy Pistol: Colt Government Model 2066 with an integral silencer, smartlink, skinlink, melee hardening and extreme environment 1; 14 rounds, nil wireless signature, no recoil, VERY quiet with subsonic ammo, no brass, and tough and reliable as the year is long.
==>When a little more firepower matters, but you don't want to advertise.

Machine pistol: None - if I want auto fire, I go to an SMG.

Submachine Gun: FN P93 Praetor (Electronic Firing) with integral suppressor, skinlink vice flashlight, smartgun, extreme environment 1, melee hardening; 50 rounds, very low recoil, nil wireless signature, VERY quiet with subsonic ammo, no brass, and tough and reliable as the year is long plus automatic fire and better range. [bullpup - we have house rules for concealability]
==>High intensity stealth entry, when autofire and short length will matter.

Assault Rifle: Stock AK97 - completely legal and you can't kill them OR Colt M22A3 - also legal WITH a grenade launcher, despite poor built in features, and modding it kills the "legality" bit... or at least makes it more likely to draw really close inspection.
Assault Rifle: Ares Alpha w/ electronic firing, skinlink, integral suppressor; I think you can see the pattern with my weapons here, right? 40 rounds, grenade launcher, controlable recoil, nil wireless sound or brass. [bullpup - we have house rules for concealability]
==>This is heavy duty bang-bang for her: she's more concerned about not bringing the neighbors running than being subtle for her target.

Shotgun: Enfield AS-7 with smartgun vice laser sight, dual clip, extreme environment 1, melee hardening; It's legal durrable and mean, olus being able to switch between two clips.
==>When she doesn't give a damn about being subtle, quiet or carefull any more.

Sporting Rifle: None

Sniper Rifle: Desert Strike with smartgun, accessory bipod, image mag for the smartgun vice normal scope, melee hardening, integral silencer, and electronic firing; Anybody notice I'm a little obsessive about policing my brass? The GM doesn't want to let me have a Barrett - they're disgusting weapons. Plus the Desert Strike is lighter and smaller.
==>I believe the 20th century jingle went "Reach out and touch some-one!" If we're walking in boldly, I am often the one on overwatch from a rooftop.
cREbralFIX
Handguns are for controlling the immediate environment.

Shotguns are for shooting winged critters and a heavier hit at close range (immediate environment).

Carbines are for controlling medium distances (200-300 meters), but are capable of longer ranged shooting in skilled hands. Figure 500 meters effective.

Sniper rifles are for precision shots at any range out to 800-1200 meters or farther.

Additionally, consider the actual ranges involved in many Shadowruns in Seattle. A 200 meter shot is a very long way in an urban environment...and probably quite rare. A carbine is almost perfect for the job because it covers that 500 meter range while providing excellent performance in CQB. Heck...in probably 95% of the runs I've played in, the firefights took place at 25 meters or less. In the rifle world--that's almost touch distance.

It goes back to what previous posters said: "right tool for the right job" and "blend in".

The problem I have with many Shadowrunners is that they're unwilling to ditch their weapons. If they just committed a murder with a weapon, the first place it should go after the run is into the smelter. It is for this reason I consider weapons expendable and simply buy several AK's and a bunch of Ares Predators--use 'em then dump 'em.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (cREbralFIX @ Jun 6 2009, 07:08 PM) *
The problem I have with many Shadowrunners is that they're unwilling to ditch their weapons. If they just committed a murder with a weapon, the first place it should go after the run is into the smelter. It is for this reason I consider weapons expendable and simply buy several AK's and a bunch of Ares Predators--use 'em then dump 'em.

That can get pricey. Much more useful (especially for pistols, SMGs and ARs) to just get your hands on spare barrels. If you're using electronic firing, there's no brass to trace back. So you're only out the price of the barrels, and the old ones can be destroyed easily enough. But your point is completely valid.

Since I haven't added the last slot of mods to my Desert Strike yet, I am thinking of trying to get a command-self-destruct system if I have to bolt.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 6 2009, 01:48 PM) *
Kerenshara's choices and why:

Hold Out: Morrisey Elan with hermetically sealed densiplast rounds; It's tiny, stylish (when that counts), easy to conceal and doesn't show up on mad scanners.
==>When concealability matters

Light Pistol: Light Fire 70 using the "special" silencer with the following mods: Dual Magazines, electronic firing, smartgun link and skinlink; It's still small, the silencer is "same availability as the weapon" which means "R" not "F", the silencer gives an extra -1 to perception, the electronic firing negates the double tap recoil as well as giving another -1 to perception and means I don't have any spent brass to police, and the two mags mean I can go from subsonic ammunition to capsule/DMSO-Narcojet if I need to be non-lethal, nil wireless signal.
==>Standard day-to-day pistol that she keeps in her jacket.

Heavy Pistol: Colt Government Model 2066 with an integral silencer, smartlink, skinlink, melee hardening and extreme environment 1; 14 rounds, nil wireless signature, no recoil, VERY quiet with subsonic ammo, no brass, and tough and reliable as the year is long.
==>When a little more firepower matters, but you don't want to advertise.

Machine pistol: None - if I want auto fire, I go to an SMG.

Submachine Gun: FN P93 Praetor (Electronic Firing) with integral suppressor, skinlink vice flashlight, smartgun, extreme environment 1, melee hardening; 50 rounds, very low recoil, nil wireless signature, VERY quiet with subsonic ammo, no brass, and tough and reliable as the year is long plus automatic fire and better range. [bullpup - we have house rules for concealability]
==>High intensity stealth entry, when autofire and short length will matter.

Assault Rifle: Stock AK97 - completely legal and you can't kill them OR Colt M22A3 - also legal WITH a grenade launcher, despite poor built in features, and modding it kills the "legality" bit... or at least makes it more likely to draw really close inspection.
Assault Rifle: Ares Alpha w/ electronic firing, skinlink, integral suppressor; I think you can see the pattern with my weapons here, right? 40 rounds, grenade launcher, controlable recoil, nil wireless sound or brass. [bullpup - we have house rules for concealability]
==>This is heavy duty bang-bang for her: she's more concerned about not bringing the neighbors running than being subtle for her target.

Shotgun: Enfield AS-7 with smartgun vice laser sight, dual clip, extreme environment 1, melee hardening; It's legal durrable and mean, olus being able to switch between two clips.
==>When she doesn't give a damn about being subtle, quiet or carefull any more.

Sporting Rifle: None

Sniper Rifle: Desert Strike with smartgun, accessory bipod, image mag for the smartgun vice normal scope, melee hardening, integral silencer, and electronic firing; Anybody notice I'm a little obsessive about policing my brass? The GM doesn't want to let me have a Barrett - they're disgusting weapons. Plus the Desert Strike is lighter and smaller.
==>I believe the 20th century jingle went "Reach out and touch some-one!" If we're walking in boldly, I am often the one on overwatch from a rooftop.

All very solid choices... slightly different than mine, but very solid
Traul
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 6 2009, 10:48 PM) *
Sniper Rifle: Desert Strike with (...) accessory bipod

Just for the look, since this baby already comes with all the recoil compensation it needs?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 6 2009, 08:49 PM) *
All very solid choices... slightly different than mine, but very solid

Thanks.

QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 6 2009, 09:11 PM) *
Just for the look, since this baby already comes with all the recoil compensation it needs?

Not looks - realism. The real weapon that inspired it is heavy, and a bipod makes long waits for a target worlds easier. or maybe I should say "roleplay-ism" since I take my "job" seriously and make sure the tools reflect that, regardless of the printed RAW. Why use a sniper rifle under 200m when an assault rifle will do? Because a sniper rifle is more acurate and thus the RIGHT TOOL, regardless of game mechanics.
Falconer
Karenshara:
Anyone can use caseless ammo... it's an option when you buy the gun. You don't need electronic firing to get it.

Electronic firing is one of the less valuable mods. It gives nice RC.. but it doesn't stack... otherwise only an extra stealth boost IIRC. Generally for the space you're better off w/ another mod or two.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jun 7 2009, 02:25 AM) *
Karenshara:
Anyone can use caseless ammo... it's an option when you buy the gun. You don't need electronic firing to get it.

Electronic firing is one of the less valuable mods. It gives nice RC.. but it doesn't stack... otherwise only an extra stealth boost IIRC. Generally for the space you're better off w/ another mod or two.

Falconer:
Yes, caseless ammo has been an option since at LEAST second ed, but it is REQUIRED with Electronic Firing - that's why I bring it up, because not everybody may have caught that restriction or considered the side-benefit. For your review (and those not familiar with the details of the modification we're discussing):

Arsenal, P.150: Electronic Firing
With this modification, most of the weapon’s moving parts are removed and it fires electronically, meaning that an electrical signal detonates the bullet’s propellant. This provides 1 point of recoil compensation (for restrictions on recoil compensation, see p. 148) and a -1 dice pool modifier to sound-based Perception Tests when trying to locate where the weapon is being fired from. Electronic firing is usually combined with trigger removal (see p. 153) to further reduce the number of moving parts, but this is not mandatory.
The weapon still includes a loading mechanism that moves the bullet into the chamber, and it requires caseless ammunition.

Emphasis mine.
The RC from that modification stacks with almost everything, and in case you missed it, because I pointed it out, everything on that list except the hold out pistol and the automatic shotgun is silenced/suppressed. So for 2 slots and 1000Â¥ I get everything. Oh, and there's the anecdotal information in the fluff description of the Colt Government 2066 which states that the electronic firing makes the piece "extremely reliable". Firearms in the 6th world are already all very reliable as a matter of course. Don't you think it odd that they went out of their way to mention it specifically?

Let's look at the "package" I keep taking: Melee Hardening, Extreme Environment 1, Electronic Firing, Silencing, Skin Link, Smart Link. The first three are about reliability. EF and silencing are -7 to perception together, or -9 with subsonic ammunition. If you're not right next to me, that's -12 dice, and you need two successes to hear the gunshot. Skin Link means I don't have betraying wireless emanations, and my smartlink is nearly un-hackable - unless you can put hands on it, in which case, we're into hand-to-hand, not shooting. It's about reliability, stealth and capability. I consider that a valuable trade-off any day in the shadows. Oh, and as to your RC not stacking observation, would you please be so kind to show me where the RC modifier fails to stack with anything else except a personalized grip? It's the third one down.

Arsenal, P.148: Restrictions To Recoil Compensation
Not all methods of recoil compensation are cumulative in their effect:
• Recoil compensation from an auto-adjusting weight, bipod, foregrip, gyromount, sling, tripod, or underbarrel weight are not cumulative with each other (except that the compensation from a foregrip and sling can be combined into an overall recoil compensation of 2). Recoil compensation from a folding stock, hip pad, rigid stock, shock pad, or sling are not cumulative with each other.
• Recoil compensation from a gas-vent system is not cumulative with that from any other gas-vent system.
• Recoil compensation from electronic firing and personalized grip are not cumulative with each other.
• Recoil compensation from a heavy barrel is cumulative with all other recoil compensations.

I'm not sure what recoil rules you were looking at, but I can't find what you were talking about.
Falconer
Okay rephrase... your wording above implied that you needed electronic firing to fire caseless. I just wanted to let you know (in case you didn't, that it was already an option w/o it.

What's the two options for that last point of RC... personalized grip or EF.

As far as mods... you're at -6 w/ an internal suppressor. EF is only -1 more for 2 mod slots, and -1 RC on top.

Personalized grip is -1 RC for 1 mod slot... and w/ melee hardening gives you +1 more dice to parry or pistol whip the guy in melee.

At the end of the day... -11 vs. -12 dice to notice your suppressed shot isn't that much.

The reliability text is 'fluff only'. It has no effect.

Now lets look at the costs and requirements...
EF... 2 slots, 1000 and needs a facility to do it, plus it's regulated
PG... 1 slot, 100 only needs a tool kit, and no legality issues whatsoever

Absolutely no contest on the cost/avail front... for what benefit... only -1 additional (when you admit you're already at -11)... though if you absolutely have to be the quietest badass known to man... yeah works well.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jun 7 2009, 09:36 AM) *
Okay rephrase... your wording above implied that you needed electronic firing to fire caseless. I just wanted to let you know (in case you didn't, that it was already an option w/o it.

What's the two options for that last point of RC... personalized grip or EF.

As far as mods... you're at -6 w/ an internal suppressor. EF is only -1 more for 2 mod slots, and -1 RC on top.

Personalized grip is -1 RC for 1 mod slot... and w/ melee hardening gives you +1 more dice to parry or pistol whip the guy in melee.

At the end of the day... -11 vs. -12 dice to notice your suppressed shot isn't that much.

The reliability text is 'fluff only'. It has no effect.

Now lets look at the costs and requirements...
EF... 2 slots, 1000 and needs a facility to do it, plus it's regulated
PG... 1 slot, 100 only needs a tool kit, and no legality issues whatsoever

Absolutely no contest on the cost/avail front... for what benefit... only -1 additional (when you admit you're already at -11)... though if you absolutely have to be the quietest badass known to man... yeah works well.

Sometimes you just want the EF... it is personal choice...

Regiment
<removed due to middle of the night babbling idiocy>

Thanks smile.gif
cREbralFIX
Arsenal, P.150: Electronic Firing
With this modification, most of the weapon’s moving parts are removed and it fires electronically, meaning that an electrical signal detonates the bullet’s propellant. This provides 1 point of recoil compensation (for restrictions on recoil compensation, see p. 148) and a -1 dice pool modifier to sound-based Perception Tests when trying to locate where the weapon is being fired from. Electronic firing is usually combined with trigger removal (see p. 153) to further reduce the number of moving parts, but this is not mandatory.
The weapon still includes a loading mechanism that moves the bullet into the chamber, and it requires caseless ammunition..

How positively...absurd! This was clearly written by people without any knowledge of...OKAY, they're writers.

I guess they think that the sear and hammer contribute greatly to the overall noise generated by a firearm. ::SNICKER::

File this one under the "OPTIONAL" rule heading.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Regiment @ Jun 22 2009, 10:37 AM) *
That would give it RC 3
and -4 Conceal Modifier
Actually you have a +0 Modifier. +4 for being an SMG -4 for the coating. I would not apply the -4 to tactile searches. And Sound Suppressors are incompatible with Gas Vents.

QUOTE (Regiment @ Jun 22 2009, 10:37 AM) *
So everything a Savalette Guardian and Ruger Thunderbolt wish they could be, but can't.

Let's see. Ruger Thundderbolt (with smartlink ¥1150). (heavy pistol) +0(base modifier) -4(chameleon coating)=-4
Now for the 4 other slots:
Gas Vent 3 (2 slots) ¥400
extended clip (1 slot) ¥500
improved range finder ¥1000

Total ¥4050 An Expensive but effective sidearm

What you get:
Truely a heavy pistol in size
Damage 5P AP -1
Smartlinked, no range penalty up to 20m (it's 10, with the weapon above)
5 Points of Recoil compensation so -0 for both in the IP
15 shots (5 bursts)

Personally I would forgo the chameleon coating and take personalized grip (¥100) Firing selection change (¥300) with the GM's permission instead. It is ¥600 cheaper and you can fire FA.

Against Ammunition shortage, use two - one in each hand. Makes two long burst per IP with no penalty. Yay.

If for some reason FA is out, I'd take melee hardening instead. I'm not quite sure if you would get the +1 die in melee of the grip, but more options are always good.

@cREbralFIX: If the supersonic boom and the explosion noise ist removed by subsonic amunition and a sound suppressor, then the hammer and slide are loud. Ever pulled the trigger without a bullet in the chamber?
DuctShuiTengu
Regiment: Given that the page reference it includes is for sound suppressors as a modification, I'm not sure whether this still applies when it's a sound suppressor accessory, but...

QUOTE ("Arsenal @ p. 152")
Characters can have a firearm equipped with a sound suppressor or thermal suppressor (p. 153) and a gas-vent system at the same time; however, the gas-vent system must be turned off in order to receive the benefits from the suppressor.

I also don't like letting chameleon coating improve how easy it is to hide a gun inside your coat or bag (a large firearm hidden under a jacket causes the same size and shape of visible bulge no matter what color it is), but in that matter, the RAW agrees with you.
cREbralFIX
@cREbralFIX: If the supersonic boom and the explosion noise ist removed by subsonic amunition and a sound suppressor, then the hammer and slide are loud. Ever pulled the trigger without a bullet in the chamber?

**SIGH**

Kerenshara
QUOTE (Regiment @ Jun 22 2009, 04:37 AM) *
Had a strange thought... lemme know if I screw it up.

Ingram Warrior 10 (Because it looks like a big pistol)

Damage 5P
Mode SA/BF
RC -
Ammo 30©
Cost 400Y

Mods:
Gas Vent 2 (1 slot)
Smartlink (1 slot)
Chameleon Coating (2 slots) 1000Y
Personalized Grip (1 slot) 100Y

Add in an External Sounds Suppressor

That would give it RC 3
and -4 Conceal Modifier

So now what I have is:
A pistol shaped gun that is SA/BF capable(with RC 3), SMG ranges, and as concealable as a heavy pistol and top it off with a 30 rounds clip.
AND uses automatics (generally viewed as the most versatile firearms skill)

So everything a Savalette Guardian and Ruger Thunderbolt wish they could be, but can't.

And hell, I'm sure you folks could even make this thought even more magnified with hardly any work.

Ok, first, you CAN'T use the silencer at the same time as the gas vent.

Re-read the concealability part: you STARTED at +4 (that's HELPING the other guy spot it) and added a silencer, further complicating the problem. Forget how it "looks" - the UZI LOOKS like a pistol too, and you can even try to shoot the thing one handed. The K&K MP7 can be shot one handed as well. A heavy pistol is concealability 0, not +4. Overall, given the cost of your additions, I don't see the utility. Since the game uses fairly broad definitions for concealability (my current beef with the rules, see above), why not go with the FN P93 Praetor? comes out of the box with -1 RC, add the optional FACTORY electronic firing for -2 RC total. Same concealability. Go with a BUILT IN supressor (which is quieter anyhow) and doesn't affect your concealability. Your clip goes up to 50. Sub out the flashlight for a Smartlink if that's your speed. (Why even bother with the chameleon coating?)

I guess I don't understand what you were getting at, unless you were just assuming that looking like a big pistol made it the same concealability. Even if you said it was the size of a machine pistol, they are +2, not 0.

Now, if I missed something, please tell me. I'd love to see what you really meant.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (cREbralFIX @ Jun 22 2009, 10:23 AM) *
How positively...absurd! This was clearly written by people without any knowledge of...OKAY, they're writers.

I guess they think that the sear and hammer contribute greatly to the overall noise generated by a firearm. ::SNICKER::

Well, if you call that one optional (it is featured off-the-shelf in at least two or three weapons) then everything is optional.

Now, if you'd like to discuss the thing seriously, then let's have a look. The recoil modifier, I have some questions about. I've thought it over (a lot) and decided you can argue it either way. Their emphasis is on the reduced number of moving parts, which would allow you to come up with some interesting recoil solutions. And it's not just the hammer, it's the spent brass being ejected; it's the slide recoiling. Did you know the old "hushpuppy" pistol had a slide lock (that I heard was duplicated on the Mk 23 Mod 0) to eliminate the sound of the slide recoiling and jacking the next round. Let's be clear: a single die penalty against a threshold of 1 for unsupressed gunfire is functionally meaningless. But with an integral silencer/suppressor and subsonic ammunition the total gets up to 9 dice of penalty. That means the effective "threshold" just hit 5 to hear it (base 2 for suppressed gunfire). That last bit can make the difference, pushing the average to a full extra hit.

I personally think the idea of a fully enclosed system with few moving parts compensating for recoil internally (possibly with a electromagneticly moved counterweight of some kind) the weapon is easier to seal against environmental contamination, thus helping to contribute to the "reputation for reliability" mentioned with the Colt Government 2066.

I think what they did was conceive a smart idea and just describe it for us really poorly. Maybe there should have been slightly different benefits, but then again I always thought that about a lot of game system Crunchy BitsTM. I just don't want to blow off the Devs as incompetent until I can get THEIR side of the feature and it's rationalle. (If you're listening, AnonyDev, we're all ears *grin*)
Kerenshara
QUOTE (cREbralFIX @ Jun 22 2009, 03:23 PM) *
**SIGH**

Why sigh? They're right. In a quiet room, it's surprisingly noticable. You WERE planning to use the silencer in a relatively quiet area, right? Wasn't that the point? If you're using it on the street with loud trafic, it's a lot less of an issue, and you can skip the feature. Some of us go for the absolutely quietest we can get - say for use in a corporate board room.
DuctShuiTengu
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 23 2009, 01:42 AM) *

Re-read the concealability part: you STARTED at +4 (that's HELPING the other guy spot it) and added a silencer, further complicating the problem. Forget how it "looks" - the UZI LOOKS like a pistol too, and you can even try to shoot the thing one handed. The K&K MP7 can be shot one handed as well. A heavy pistol is concealability 0, not +4. Overall, given the cost of your additions, I don't see the utility. Since the game uses fairly broad definitions for concealability (my current beef with the rules, see above), why not go with the FN P93 Praetor? comes out of the box with -1 RC, add the optional FACTORY electronic firing for -2 RC total. Same concealability. Go with a BUILT IN supressor (which is quieter anyhow) and doesn't affect your concealability. Your clip goes up to 50. Sub out the flashlight for a Smartlink if that's your speed. (Why even bother with the chameleon coating?)

I guess I don't understand what you were getting at, unless you were just assuming that looking like a big pistol made it the same concealability. Even if you said it was the size of a machine pistol, they are +2, not 0.

Now, if I missed something, please tell me. I'd love to see what you really meant.

You missed the chameleon coating, which applies a -4 concealability modifier (which I can understand as something to mitigate how obvious it is that you're holding a gun, but the logical implication of the mechanics here is that there's some color scheme for firearms which causes them to take up less space when you're hiding it under a coat wobble.gif ). The end result is that the +4 for it being a SMG and the -4 for chameleon coating cancel out, leaving you at +0 (equivalent to a standard heavy pistol). What the point of the statement about it looking like a big pistol is, on the other hand, I don't know.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DuctShuiTengu @ Jun 22 2009, 04:57 PM) *
You missed the chameleon coating, which applies a -4 concealability modifier (which I can understand as something to mitigate how obvious it is that you're holding a gun, but the logical implication of the mechanics here is that there's some color scheme for firearms which causes them to take up less space when you're hiding it under a coat wobble.gif ). The end result is that the +4 for it being a SMG and the -4 for chameleon coating cancel out, leaving you at +0 (equivalent to a standard heavy pistol). What the point of the statement about it looking like a big pistol is, on the other hand, I don't know.

I believe that the point was that when concealed under a coat, it does not matter what color the firearm composition is... it is still just as bulky as the regular thing... the chameleon coating would possibly be useful in a tactical situation while it was being employed, as it will match the environment around you (assuming of course that you are also wearing a chameleon suit)... it would be "Visually" more difficult to see when not under cover, but would gain no 'visual" modifiers if hidden underneath a longcoat or other article of clothing... thus chameleon coating would have no practical benefit when worn concealed...

At least, that was how I read it anyway... YMMV
Falconer
QUOTE (cREbralFIX @ Jun 22 2009, 09:23 AM) *

This shows you have zero firsthand experience w/ suppressors.

The noise of a semi-auto action working is actually loud enough to be much louder than a well suppressed shot. Not necessarily the click of the hammer hitting the primer. But the sound of the action. (think of the sound a shotgun makes when you rack it, that's nothing except action noise)

This is the reason why many semi-auto real life sniper rifles have a bypass to lock bolt or disable the gas system so they can only be cycled manually just like a bolt action rifle. At military sniper engagement ranges not as much of an issue. But at closer ranges, it is. Some of the older designs based on battle rifles simply use of the rifle grenade gas switch. A bigger reason for doing this at longer ranges is to stop brass from flying when ejected from the gun (which can easily cause sunlight to flash off it, giving away position).

I don't see any issues w/ this rule. Yes the action still needs to move... but it only needs to chamber a new round, it doesn't need to eject a spent casing and insert a new round.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (DuctShuiTengu @ Jun 22 2009, 07:57 PM) *

Oh, that was so nonsensical on the face of it, I totally missed it. Not being rude to the poster, but that would be concealability in open view. How does color affect shape when it's covered? That's the BIG problem with larger weapons, not the ability to spot the slotting thing in the hand.
Regiment
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 22 2009, 04:42 PM) *

<snip>

On silencers: knew that

On the rest:

Heh, I should really try to stop typing in the middle of the night.

I keep seeing how people talk about SMG's for burst/FA.

I see, or used to see, people drooling at the BF pistols.

Now I dig the option, and by the rules, it even makes ya pack more chewing power, and that's great.
But I noticed that lots of SMG's have the ability to fire SA, and have mucho superb ranges on the weapon range table.
This could give someone using an SMG access to most things that a pistol carrier would do, but in most cases even better.
The exception to this, as far as I can see would be concealability.
I'd love to put together an SMG that replaces a pistol as a sidearm, with more options.

Heh, guess I shoulda said that and let you masters get to work, rather than trying to lamely do it myself.
Especially since no matter how I add it up in my head it doesn't make a lick of sense when I try to compare it to real life firearms.

Though on a side note, I do love the idea of giving a thunderhawk SA.

Also, lemme ask a question... what would be the downside of choosing a light pistol with Stick-n-shock over a taser?
I can think of legality, and that's about all I can see as what's lost. Most everything else is upside, right?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Regiment @ Jun 22 2009, 10:24 PM) *
Heh, I should really try to stop typing in the middle of the night.

Don't feel bad. I know I do it all the time.

I'd love to put together an SMG that replaces a pistol as a sidearm, with more options.

Heh, guess I shoulda said that and let you masters get to work, rather than trying to lamely do it myself.
Especially since no matter how I add it up in my head it doesn't make a lick of sense when I try to compare it to real life firearms.

Well, that's why I keep going on about the P90 IRL or the SR4 P93. If you want a single weapon to do it all, there's your choice. If you REALLY want to get drekky, and don't care about concealability, mod the thing with dual clips. (OK, knowing how the actual P90 feeds, I can't even BEGIN to conceive how you'd DO it, but...) Then you have 100 rounds on board, with mission selectable firing, SA or FA firing modes, good recoil characteristics (if you go by what it LOOKS like, it ought to have a built-in fore grip, and I'd use a sling as well), and the only REAL drawback is that it's "F". But you can't have everything. After doing a bit of research, BTW, I decided the P93 ought to be 4P/-2 based on what I found. Since it's FA, if I need damage, I can always just open up the tap a bit, and I've got 50 rounds to do it with.

Also, lemme ask a question... what would be the downside of choosing a light pistol with Stick-n-shock over a taser?
I can think of legality, and that's about all I can see as what's lost. Most everything else is upside, right?

The fact that IIRC SnS has a lower damage value than a taser? And the cost of the rounds is a LOT higher than the taser darts? Those two come immediately to mind. But why use a light pistol? Use a hold-out. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it's a good question.
Regiment
2 of the tasers have 6S, 1 has 5S (and a larger ammo capacity), and 1 has 7S (with attached wires)

Stick-n-shock is 6S(e), as well.

put it in a light pistol, and it's concealable, has better range than a taser, clip fed, more ammo per clip, and able to put on a silencer.

Just a thought.

If this is the case, I may start including it as a standard sidearm/backup.

Hell, it's easy enough to switch to a clip of apds or ex-ex if it's ALL you can take on you in public, just hide the extra clips well.
Doesn't really compare to a bigger guns in usability, but it makes me re-think my standard big-guns view a bit.

Not to mention the Stick-n-Shock ability to affect spirits. (atleast in most people's view)
Dakka Dakka
Functionally there are no downsides to light pistols with SnS. Maybe legally and financially but that's it.
Dumori
You forgot the 8S(e) taser in the BBB.
Mäx
QUOTE (Regiment @ Jun 23 2009, 07:59 AM) *
2 of the tasers have 6S, 1 has 5S (and a larger ammo capacity), and 1 has 7S (with attached wires)

Actually Defiance EX Shocker has 8S and wires don't cause any problems rules wise.
Thats why my Sasha allways carries a pair of those in hidden arm-slides.
Regiment
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 23 2009, 01:32 AM) *
Actually Defiance EX Shocker has 8S <snip>

Oops, I knew that, I even looked it up to make sure... I can only assume that I typo'ed the 7 cuz I was on my laptop at the time... damn big hands
Kerenshara
If they really have the same DV, then yeah, I'd have to go with the SnS too for that particular application. Double the comment about swapping out clips mid-'run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012