Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Streamlining the game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Aug 19 2009, 06:10 PM) *
Heh, I don't have any primary characters, I am always the GM in our regular group. The only game I am currently a player in (Hacktastic D20), well... my Dwarf Healer just went to the Great Ale Hall In The Sky in the last session, and I haven't had the opportunity to roll up a new one yet. I am looking at picking one of these up for GMing, however, as the specialized GM screens I have tend to not have all of the info I would like on them.

Well, for that it's literally perfect, but after people have seen me use them for character sheets, I keep getting requests for where to get one. Seriously, two prime sheets outside, secondary inside the first flaps (the "outside") and four pages of reference material on the "inside". Try it when you get yours. It's easy to carry around, you can write on it freehand as stiff as it is, and it stays closed tight enough to keep a couple pages of notes loose inside between games.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Yeah, but how do you carry a 19 page character sheet with it?
Though, I really like it for the GM side of things... perfect...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 19 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Yeah, but how do you carry a 19 page character sheet with it?
Though, I really like it for the GM side of things... perfect...

19 pages. You're serious. That's not history, that's actual character sheet? Fine, then I suggest the following:

Main Notebook Page

Or, more speciffically: 25 Sheet Folio perfect for a single character

Combined with one of these:
Punch and you have a perfect system for keeping all your data in place. All GMs are advised to at least have a peek at the links. I've been printing things out of my PDFs and using their dividers to keep critical chapters and passages at my fingertips.

First: yes, it's expensive. Second: It has a high threshold for usability critical mass.

But in the end, I use it extensively for gaming and work and personal life. Have a look.
Method
Makes me wonder is SR4 will see the return of the Character Dossier...

Oh wait! This thread was about *streamlining* the game!! wobble.gif
Trillinon
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Aug 18 2009, 02:01 PM) *
Mentioning GM screens...

Anybody have any idea who might have the rights to the idea and/or where I can get another one or two?

When they aren't sold out in every store, Pinnacle Entertainment (peginc.com) sells a customizable trifold in a Landscape format.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 19 2009, 09:59 PM) *
Makes me wonder is SR4 will see the return of the Character Dossier...

Oh wait! This thread was about *streamlining* the game!! wobble.gif

And KEEPING your 19-page character... dossier neatly ordered and non-dog-eared isn't helping things out?
Tachi
Levenger, huh? Karenshara, thank you... You're my hero. Never again will I buy notebooks from Wally World, I can never find anything I'm happy with, but, that place ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to get so weird, but, my O.C.D. thanks you, also. notworthy.gif

Of course, now I'm probably going to end up spending $1000 a year there. You should e-mail them to see if you can get a kick-back off of my business. nyahnyah.gif
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Trillinon @ Aug 19 2009, 10:22 PM) *
When they aren't sold out in every store, Pinnacle Entertainment (peginc.com) sells a customizable trifold in a Landscape format.

That was the other version I recall, but it wasn't as popular and I don't think it was anywhere near as useful to most of us (forget the character sheet idea, too). It would work better for miniatures games perhaps as a way to keep unit tables and critical game tables at a fingertip and to keep dice from skittering across the game table. But thanks for the update on what happened to that version.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Tachi @ Aug 19 2009, 10:30 PM) *
Levenger, huh? Karenshara, thank you... You're my hero. Never again will I buy notebooks from Wally World, I can never find anything I'm happy with, but, that place ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to get so weird, but, my O.C.D. thanks you, also. notworthy.gif

Of course, now I'm probably going to end up spending $1000 a year there. You should e-mail them to see if you can get a kick-back off of my business. nyahnyah.gif

I have blown about $600 on the Circa system, including the (Mandatory for us gamer types) desk punch. I keep my writing in them, my rules in another, have one as a writing notebook, have two zip folios (one for gaming and one for real life), plus about a dozen of the "report cover" versions. SHOCKINGLY useful/versatile. You have to spend a lot of money to get the full benefits of the system... but it really does start to feed on itself eventually. And if you do buy in, seriously grab the "tab deviders" because they're perfect. The main covers are oversized enough that the tabs are completely protected. The "report covers" front panel is wide enough to get the sheet in easily. And don't overlook the other accessory goodies. If you want speciffic suggestions of ideas, drop me a PM. It's not that I'm stumping for anybody, but seriously, if I find something that works for me, I want to share it.
Critias
QUOTE (Megu @ Aug 19 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Seriously. I'm all over this thread. I came to this from fucking BESM. This is a huge jump up in complexity.

In all seriousness, then, the best advice I can give is "play more" and "organize it."

Figure out exactly what it is that's slowing you down, then practice it (run combat heavy for a few games, do some "virtual reality practice sessions" or other throwaway/no consequence fights just to sling dice and get the hang of it, something like that), and look into some sort of DM screen or handy print-out for the modifiers that you're seeing the most often.

Once your players (and you) start to get a handle on the common visibility or movement or range modifiers for shooting a gun (for instance), you guys will be handling the dice like pros and it'll speed right up. Parts of this game -- just like any game -- just come with practice.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Aug 19 2009, 08:41 PM) *
19 pages. You're serious. That's not history, that's actual character sheet? Fine, then I suggest the following:

Main Notebook Page

Or, more speciffically: 25 Sheet Folio perfect for a single character

Combined with one of these:
Punch and you have a perfect system for keeping all your data in place. All GMs are advised to at least have a peek at the links. I've been printing things out of my PDFs and using their dividers to keep critical chapters and passages at my fingertips.

First: yes, it's expensive. Second: It has a high threshold for usability critical mass.

But in the end, I use it extensively for gaming and work and personal life. Have a look.

Will check it out...
And yes, it is mostly character sheet, with some fluff (about 2 pages)...
I currently use a binder and 3-hole punched paper to organize things... it works out pretty well...
ShaunClinton
The character folio was probably the lamest SR release of all time! I remember one of the guys at our table showed up with one... I think it lasted two hours till he got sick of jibes, mainly to do with the terrible tag line which had something to do with the length of your rap sheet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012