Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Professional Grade OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rob
blarg. Just realized that runner havens is set in 2070, but SR4A starts 2072. I had written the date as wrong, so I'm not in keeping with the story line. Anybody give a damn? Does this screw up anything that I'm taking for granted in context?
Digital Heroin
Time is fluid in the world of gaming... I'm down with changes in the metaplot timeline.
Red-ROM
I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't say anything. no problem
BlackHat
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 16 2009, 09:20 PM) *
I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't say anything. no problem

Ditto. Thanks for the heads up, though.
Mickle5125
what they said
rob
Aight, then carry on with the posting. If in doubt about anything political or external, I'm starting with all the stuff runner havens describes.
BlackHat
Intuition 5 + Street Knowledge (Famous Runners) 3 = 2 hits
rob
@Marwynn- Go ahead and roll both, and we'll see what you come up with.
Marwynn
Hehe probably critical glitches, let's seee....

[ Spoiler ]

Will also edit into the post.
Red-ROM
Max tries to remember any gang activity that may have been related

Intuition 4 + Seattle Street Gangs 4 = [3,6,1,1,2,2,4,4] = (1)
I hope my luck turns around with these "dice"
rob
Aight, having been struck by a massive and unexpected bout of common sense, I am changing the date of the first meeting to 4 April, 2070. Feel free to change any of your time/date stamps, because it doesn't really matter. That way I don't have to deal with a presidential election for consistency.

@Marwynn - don't you have attributes to add to them rolls?
Marwynn
/facepalm

Sorry sleep deprived today. I'll add intuition to both of those rolls. Wow.

EDIT:

Any my dice are asleep

[ Spoiler ]

Will add to the thread.
BlackHat
Should I assume the 2 hits were insufficient?
rob
@blackhat - no, just forgot. not typing good, so posting = pain in ass.
BlackHat
No problem, with a broken arm, I'm surprised you're posting at all. biggrin.gif I came up with something else to talk about IC, anyway.
Digital Heroin
Sweet Bilbo Baggins (it's sad, but my spellchecker has Bilbo in it, but not Baggins) that was a lot of rolling, but Jared's a cerebral dude with a big ole brain full of memories, so I figured he'd take his time sifting through them and enjoy not being senile quite yet (unlike I seem to be in this, my year before turning old).

Can ya tell I didn't sleep last night?

Ok, so I would be remiss if I didn't point out OOC Jared, while rather plain, is a well known Seattlite, and might be recognizable. He's even traveled the same social set as several in the group.

Oh, and the rewinding of the timeline suits The Suit oh so well. If it were 2072 a lot of his contacts would be radically changing, since LS is out of biz in Seattle, eh.
rob
peeps keep saying stuff like LS is out of biz, brackhaven got elected. Where did that come out?
budoka05
QUOTE (rob @ Sep 19 2009, 04:08 PM) *
peeps keep saying stuff like LS is out of biz, brackhaven got elected. Where did that come out?

It was one of the missions from Emergence.

[ Spoiler ]
Digital Heroin
Knight Errant took over the contract for Seattle very, very recently... like 2072 recently.
rob
@All - I expect that all of yall read the spoilers, but remember that IC your character doesn't know any of that stuff unless someone brings it out publicly in the meeting or you have some other commo mechanisms.
rob
@All - seems that the meeting is kind of fishing around for specifics, so I took a stab at providing them to you. Let me know in the OOC of this helps clarify what we're working on.
rob
Looks like the meeting is flagging a but. Are we up for a bump? (just recognize that, if so, your characters will have agred to whatever I make up for the outstanding details.)
Marwynn
I say we move it along. Get the short-term assignments and next meeting details in place. Perhaps allow for that hour or so to be visited again later, to fill in any questions that may have been asked.
rob
Oh, no. Retroactive stuff won't happen. Yall can iron out lessons learned in your own time. But, often meetings lead to details that got overlooked, and those details that get overlooked will make the next one go quicker and better.
BlackHat
IIRC the meeting was set to take an hour, which is nearly up, anyway. So, there's a good chance that there will be some things we don't get ironed out before its time to get moving.
Mickle5125
sorry about the lack of responses. All of my teachers decided that they wanted to schedule tests, papers, projects, and programs, one right after the other, to the point where i'd get one done and immediately start on the next because it was due within 24 hours. Blech.

I'll get a post up soon.
rob
Marwynn - one of the things about my post is meant to communicate the responsibilities in the group. For instance, will won't have extensive numbers of contacts to arrange functional stuff like this anymore, since he's been out of town and many of his old contacts are dead or not talking.

It's kind of interesting, because as I write up his reactions it becomes difficult to figure out how he would or would not want to share contacts.

The way I look at it, it's also easy to go too far on the operations security. Your dude is a shadowrunner, so if he goes to DC his shadowrunning contacts won't necessarily figure anything by that request. On the other hand, if he goes to DC, and they see him with Dr. Fischer, and she gets extracted, they might start putting two and two together.
rob
Bump post is up, bumping to the end of the meeting. Also, note the rewards section on the first page.
Marwynn
Gah! My posts were eaten up. Will try to post it again.

I understand, thanks for clearing that up. My thinking is that if he does ask around for DC stuff, gets seen as well, then he just announced that he did it to his contacts. So I guess the point is not to be seen. smile.gif

I'll try to work out the details for the trip. But that just needs a SIN of some sort to travel there by air right? Jairus would prefer to travel by his own name, as a SINner, so that there wouldn't be any weird questions asked about a Fake SIN, which would be used upon arrival. He'd be a tourist of sorts, reason enough to snap a few pictures maybe.

Exciting stuff.
rob
There's little risk of using your own name right now. The problem happens if the sh*t goes down, and somehow it gets traced back to you. On the other hand, using a fake SIN runs the risk of it being discovered, but is harmless in the grand scheme of things (it gets burned, you're out 4K, or 3K, or whatever, but you don't lose the house and the wife and the car). But your character is a big boy, and will have to assess those risks on his own.
Marwynn
What'd happen if one of the airport SIN scanners detects it's a fake? Travelling nationally under a fake ID would be a bad thing today. Unless we can get some really good quality fakes, or we have a more secret way of travelling, I see no other way.

Don't wanna get pinched by airport security hehe.
rob
Well, I posit the utility of fake IDs with a bit of GM Handwavium. If I rolled dice every time you used a fake ID I'd screw up invisible castle's database with bulk and fake IDs would end up being useless by the law of averages.

This is kind of houseruley, but I think of it like this:

Rating 1 Fake ID: You can buy stuff at a stuffer shack without a problem.
Rating 2 Fake ID: You can buy ammo.
Rating 3 Fake ID: You can probably beat a traffic ticket or buy a gun in America with this.
Rating 4 Fake ID: You can pass a scanner with biometric information IF you've never used another license with the same biometrics through the same people.
Rating 5 Fake ID: You can almost certainly buy a house with a BIG loan.
Rating 6 Fake ID: You might be able to run for governor of Seattle with this, if you use it a lot.

Now, this is not canon. If it gets abused, I'll warn you before hand OOC (your character's common sense will act up). But a rating 3 fake ID will probably get you through an airport, and a rating 4 fake ID will certainly get you through an airport even if there's a terror alert out.

Unless, of course, the fake IDs are linked to something you did somewhere else....

(note, this is a very loose general idea in my head. If other players have seen this done better other places, let me know)
BlackHat
I hope we're not still dealing with "terror alerts" in airports 60 years from now. wink.gif
Red-ROM
yea, I just flew from DC to Seattle, and the security was almost envasive.

p.s. I'm all over the place for the next couple of days, so sorry if the posts get scarce
rob
Meh, i'll be out of town as well, so no bother
Marwynn
QUOTE (rob @ Oct 2 2009, 12:26 AM) *
Well, I posit the utility of fake IDs with a bit of GM Handwavium. If I rolled dice every time you used a fake ID I'd screw up invisible castle's database with bulk and fake IDs would end up being useless by the law of averages.

This is kind of houseruley, but I think of it like this:

Rating 1 Fake ID: You can buy stuff at a stuffer shack without a problem.
Rating 2 Fake ID: You can buy ammo.
Rating 3 Fake ID: You can probably beat a traffic ticket or buy a gun in America with this.
Rating 4 Fake ID: You can pass a scanner with biometric information IF you've never used another license with the same biometrics through the same people.
Rating 5 Fake ID: You can almost certainly buy a house with a BIG loan.
Rating 6 Fake ID: You might be able to run for governor of Seattle with this, if you use it a lot.

Now, this is not canon. If it gets abused, I'll warn you before hand OOC (your character's common sense will act up). But a rating 3 fake ID will probably get you through an airport, and a rating 4 fake ID will certainly get you through an airport even if there's a terror alert out.

Unless, of course, the fake IDs are linked to something you did somewhere else....

(note, this is a very loose general idea in my head. If other players have seen this done better other places, let me know)

Awesome. I have a throwaway Commlink with a Fake SIN already loaded on it. Enough to get aboard a plane and back right? I just chose my character's real SIN due to the threat of messing up against any potential SIN checks.

I'll edit Jairus' reply, thanks for clearing that up.
rob
Aight, so what's the issue? What needs to be clarified out in order to give some impetus for movement?
Red-ROM
I'm on my way out, but I stopped to talk to Tallon....
BlackHat
Are you hoping for us to IC out whatever plans we would like to make? or would you prefer we generate an OOC list of things we'd like to try to look into and chuck a lot of dice at it?

I think one thing that might be holding people up is that as soon as the meeting concludes, the game becomes very open-ended, but it becomes unlikely that any of us will interact with each other for quite a while (if you consider that that one-hour meeting IC, took months IRL).
rob
Fair nuff. I expected that kind of open-ended-ness... Granted that is the case, how do we roll with it? This adventure will necessarily be open-ended, simply due to the nature of the task at hand.

I might have hyped the paranoia more than is reasonable - there's nothing that prevents the players from interacting IC after the meet, or going after more stuff on there own. Nor do I expect the next couple of days to happen at the same pace as the meet - some of it will be large blocks of time subsumed into one or two rolls.

For me, I guess someone needs to make the first move. I don't particularly want to railroad things. Would it be helpful if will left, and the people just made their own decisions?
Marwynn
I guess we're waiting for some direction to go. I'm okay with open-endedness but perhaps a "Let's get at 'em!" end to the meeting would spur us all.
rob
Aight. Gimme a few to concoct something like this, and I'll have something along those lines unless stuff moves itself.
Marwynn
I got Jairus moving out and contacting his... contacts. I left it open so that if anything happens before he leaves it'll be easy to edit in.
rob
Aight, moving things along.

@Digital Heroin, Mickle - what's up? let me know where you been.
Red-ROM
@Rob: Ok, I know things are going to get disjointed here between meetings. how do want us to handle it? get everything we want to do handled OOC , then wrap it up with one long IC post? Or roleplay it IC with our contacts and the day by day details? With this type of game I'm thinking the latter, but wasn't sure how it would work.
rob
Yep, your instinct is right. This game wouldn't be any fun if we handwaved the contacts.
rob
@Red-ROM - need some more info about what the hell Black Star is to write a response to your post. Describe 'em to me, or give me a reference, or both.
Red-ROM
p.126 Runner's companion/ Anarchist's black cross(they're a similar group), They're like the Red cross, for criminals, except their Jewish. Hence the "Star". they're more for getting a quick hide out from corporate pursuit, but I figured they would know some good buildings that might have fallen off the radar. Also, They pay close attention to politics, so I might see what I can dig up on our candidates.
Mickle5125
Life's been a mess. But the messiest aspect is dead and gone, so I should be back on a more acceptable schedule, if you haven't decided to get rid of me already. Sorry about the absence.
BlackHat
Okay, Artisan's plan (it is all OOC and ambitious, so feel free to ask for rolls, mention any glaring issues, or to jump IC if there is a point you'd like to roleplay out):

After killing the rest of the evening "finding inspiration" he will spend the weekend networking with his Shadow contacts (probably through Kym Tschoepe, but will use his knowledge of famous shadowrunners to help give direction, and will make sure Kym can get reservations anywhere she needs to be to do this "research"). His goal is to put together a short-list of names and teams that we might be able to call upon in Seattle in the next month or so - and to ideally keep his distance from the inquiry. He wants to basically make sure he has current contact information for either the team's leader, face, or handler/fixer, and that there isn't any glaring notoriety hanging over those runners at the moment. He would obviously like to sort the list by a number of factors, but I don't know how choosy we can afford to be at this moment - and he doesn't want to make contact with them yet (since we don't have a job to offer them, quiet yet). He will want to come up with at least two options.

In whatever spare time he has (depending on how involved Kym needs him to be in the process), Artisan will start making plans to throw the suggested soiree in the Hilton during the conference (perhaps renting out a conference room, or perhaps in Mataglap's suites - but he doesn't want to leave that option open until the team reconvenes on Tuesday). I expect that the task will mostly be mundane things like finding local music, local food, etc and putting down a deposit to hold the evening in reserve. Artisan is used to having a lot more than a week to plan social events, but hopefully he can scrape something together, and make it work. The key to the whole operation will be getting an invitation to Dr. Fischer that doesn't seem suspicious and is, instead, intriguing enough that we can count on her showing up. He will go through the dossier information provided by Will, to get started in that department. Artisan also suspects that in order to sell the event, quite a few conference delegates will need to be invited, which will probably drive the price up, considerably. If he can spin the event as an exclusive meet and greet, including influential conference delegates (including those whose names he can get, because they are speaking or presenting at the conference), and perhaps a few VIPs from Seattle who would not be attending the conference but who are interested in local watershed development and sustainability (who Artisan is far less likely to find, except for the PCs), Artisan would ballpark that we're talking about 20-30 people. He would also prefer if Dr. Fischer is not an outlier in those who would receive invitations, so he will check if her name is on any of the publicly available literature on the conference (if she's on a panel, or is listed as being part of a research team, etc).

The hope is that if the premise of the event (meeting and exchanging information with important people in Seattle who are interested in Watershed Development and Sustainability) is not of interest to Dr. Fischer, than she would also not be particularly interested in helping Will or his employeers with their interest in various dams, or docks, or what-have-you. Although, the team will probably not find out whether or not this is the case until all of the money has already been spent preparing for the event (which is of limited use, without its star guest).

Artisan would prefer to be able to budget at least a thousand nuyen a head, but half of that is within his monthly retainer, and might be enough. Worse-case scenario: Artisan is prepared to go into the red, somewhat, using his personal finances to cover expenses related to this event (since his SIN will be all over it, anyway), and trust that the information gained during the get-together will be valuable enough to Will that he can tap into that reserve budget to have things done properly. Artisan also just enjoys getting carried away in the party-planning, and by the time the weekend is over, he is excited about the meet-and-greet, the music he has lined up, and the overall aesthetic touch he hopes to bring to the event, and hopefully by Tuesday, he just need the team (or Will) to sign of on some of his expenses and to confirm the location, and he can send out the invitations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012