Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unpublished Edges and Flaws
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Gem the Troll
I have to say some of the edges and flaws in Companion and subsequent books are pretty cool...but they don't cover the different characters in play. I have a GM who approved a new flaw for me to use with a character of mine. It's called Security Blanket.

Flaw Value 1-4
A character with this flaw has an item (low value) that they carry with them as much as they can. separation from this item causes extreme anxiety in the character, and they will do anything in their means to be near said item.

Game Effects
For each point taken the character can only be away from said item for 24 hours divided by flaw value (i.e. a value 2 would mean 12 hours) before suffering from anxiousness which adds the flaw value to each skill based target number. The character must spend time equal to the flaw value, in hours, each day to avoid this penalty.

My security blanket is a huge"Tickle me Dunkie" doll I got from an amusement park game. The thing is huge (imagine the grand prize from fair games today). Being a Dwarf the thing is about the same size as I am, and I have declared that it has shotgun in my Americar, much to the annoyance of some of the PCs in my group who don't own their own vehicles. The only time it doesn't go with me is when I go to meet a Johnson or do a job. Otherwise, we're constant companions.
Lilt
eek.gif rotfl.gif notworthy.gif
Enigma
An edge I created for a Face character I have is 'Together'.

This one-point edge means that your character is always immaculately presented. S/he wakes from sleep with perfect hair and a dazzling smile. S/he cannot go out without people noting what s/he is wearing in a "where did she get that" fit of jealousy. Your character does not commit social faux paus - s/he creates the style, and does not follow it. This is intimidating for normal people, who still suffer from the 2am wakeup "hodafukizat" reflex and who still, on occasion, spill coffee on their jeans. This is known as the Swordmaster edge for those who play Earthdawn. The effect is a +2 modifier on tests of the other person/s involved in any non-intimidation social interactions (note that I do not use open rolls for social tests).
Zazen
Divine Origin, 8 points:

Character is Jesus.
Austere Emancipator
Does that provide any in-game bonuses other than the ability to walk on water?
Siege
Guaranteed popularity at your local bar.

-Siege
Xirces
QUOTE (Siege)
Guaranteed popularity at your local bar.

-Siege

Except from the owner who's trying to sell booze whilst you're just giving it away.

The re-incarnation trick might be useful [/blaspheme]
mfb
Rapid Evasion
The character is exceptionally quick on his feet. Apply a -1 TN# to all Dodge tests the character makes.

Skilled
1 to 4
The character has an exceptional gift for the chosen skill, advancing rapidly in its mastery. Skilled may be chosen for a single Active Skill, and subsequently applies to the associated Build/Repair and Knowledge Skill(if multiple associated Knowledge Skills exist, choose only one). For the skill and associated skills, double the effective rating of the linked attribute for determining the Good Karma cost to raise the skill, and subtract 1 from the recalculated cost.

The edge value varies based upon the group of the skill chosen. Skilled(Language Skill) has a value of 1, Skilled(Physical Skill or Social Skill) has a value of 2, Skilled(Technical Skill or Vehicle Skill) has a value of 3, Skilled(Combat Skill or Magical Skill) has a value of 4.

Note:
As Skilled(Martial Art or Brawling) has no associated Build/Repair skill, reduce by 1 the Good Karma cost to purchase a Maneuver with the chosen skill. As Skilled(Language Skill) has no associated Knowledge skill or Build/Repair skill, the edge's bonus applies to all languages in the same linguistic group, as well as all dialects of, the chosen language.

Large
The character is of exceptional physical size for a member of his or her metatype or phenotype, typically 50% taller than "average" and with corresponding increased build. Add +1 to the character's racial limit for Body and Strength, and give the character a +1 Reach modifier in melee combat. A good corresponding flaw is Distinctive Style.

Mnemonic Talent
4 or 8
The character has exceptional mnemonic abilities. The character acts as if implanted with a Mnemonic Enhancer(Rating 1 or 2). This effect is not cumulative with mnemonic enhancer bioware.

Dual Adaptation
2 or 4
The magically active character in question has adapted to dual-natured interaction, and reduces the +2 TN# modifier associated with physical tasks while astrally perceiving by 1 per point of Dual Adaptation.

Slow Learner
The character struggles to improve in the chosen skill. Slow Learner applies to a single Active skill group, or Languages, as well as all Knowledge skill groups associated with the active skill group in question. When calculating the Good Karma cost to raise the skills in question, halve the effective rating of the linked attribute, and add 1 to the subsequent cost.
Obese -4 The character is morbidly obese. Apply a -1 penalty to the racial modified limit for Quickness, reduce running multiplier by 1, and increase the TN# for all athletics tests by the character by +2.
Dual Discomfort -3 The magically active character in question is never truly gotten the hang of balancing physical activity while astrally active. Apply an additional +1 to the TN# of all purely physical tasks while the character is astrally perceiving.

Oathbound
-1 to -4
The character has sworn an oath, be it a solemn spiritual vow, a promise, a contractual agreement, or even an off-handed affirmation that has been somehow karmically bound to the character's destiny. While the degree of seriousness associated with the oath should ideally correspond with the value of the flaw, this need not necessarily be the case. Fate is fickle.

In practical terms, so long as the character is fulfilling or acting in accordance with the oath, Good Karma is earned normally. If the character forsakes the oath, a 10% penalty per point of the Oathbound flaw is applied to all Good Karma awards, with modified values rounded down. The character must resume pursuit of the oath in order to gain Good Karma at a normal rate once more.

Characters should not combine this flaw with others. For instance, a character who has sworn to raise a younger sibling does not get points for both Oathbound and Dependent.

If a broken oath cannot be resumed, such as the event of a protected target dying, or if an oath is somehow fulfilled, the character must choose another flaw of equal value to the level of Oathbound the character possessed prior. Some ideas include Bad Karma, Cursed Karma, Hung Out To Dry, Bad Reputation, and Hunted.
Zazen
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Does that provide any in-game bonuses other than the ability to walk on water?

Absolutely not wobble.gif

A fair number of my homeless NPCs have this edge, and it certainly doesn't do them any good!
GunnerJ
I posted this a while ago.

I think I'll have to steal things from this thread...

EDIT: Note, that the reason why the values of edges are negative and flaws positive is because edges cost build points and flaws give them.
Playing Games
QUOTE (mfb)
Large
The character is of exceptional physical size for a member of his or her metatype or phenotype, typically 50% taller than "average" and with corresponding increased build. Add +1 to the character's racial limit for Body and Strength, and give the character a +1 Reach modifier in melee combat. A good corresponding flaw is Distinctive Style.

What about large dwarves?
nezumi
mfb, a lot of those I like. However, canon says you can't have more than 6 points in edges and flaws, so a few (the ones I don't like, coincidentally) are eliminated. Seems like dodge might be overpowered (granted, it's pricey to make up for it, but I'd want to know its playtested before using it), and I'd never allow large. 50% difference in size? +1 Reach? It's bound to be abused (I can think of an easy way to get +4-5 reach, which is devastating). Oathbound I do like, quite a lot.
Req
8 point flaw: Divine Scapegoat

God decides to hold you personally responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. Roll 1d6 at the beginning of every game session. 1-3: Dies. 4-6: Stigmata.
Kagetenshi
Nezumi, you're misinterpreting the rule. It's that you can't end up gaining more than 6 points net in build points from flaws, or losing more than 6 in uncompensated edges, not that you can't buy an edge/flaw worth more than 6. See Ambidexterity as canon evidence.
MFB: ...meep? Overpowered much? (Specifically, dodge and large; large should also drop Signature by a point, but even then...)

~J
GunnerJ
I don't see why the dodge edge is overpowered. Actually, I think the cost is a bit steep. It's no more powerful than Aptitude, IMO.
Austere Emancipator
Perhaps it's not as much a question of over-poweredness as of having an effect that nothing else in the whole game can duplicate.

And I bet Sphynx's ~30 dodge dice mage would love it. biggrin.gif
Siege
If you coax your GM into allowing Athletics to replace Combat Pool for Dodge tests, just buy Aptitude: Athletics and be done with it.

-Siege
GunnerJ
Perhaps it's not as much a question of over-poweredness as of having an effect that nothing else in the whole game can duplicate.

But why is this a problem? Is there anything in the game that can duplicate the exact effect of a manabolt? Or using an elemental to add to spell pool? Or the effects on vehichle initiative and skill test TNs of a VCR?
Austere Emancipator
I haven't got a clue why it's a problem. But it is, at least for me. I simply don't like the idea of something lowering Dodge TNs, for whatever reason. I'm fully aware it's just a house rule suggestion though, and I don't mind if other people use it. I just won't, because Nobody Messes With My Dodge TNs!
Solidcobra
Uncanny Dodge (-4): TN -1 for all dodge tests.
100/10
My comment: O_O!!!!! no way in hell am i allowing that piece of drek!

Adaptive System (Cyberware) (-5): -10% to the essence costs of all cyberware.
100/10
My comment: "Hey, gm, can i lower the essence cost of cyber by 10%?" "HELL NO!"

Procrastinator (+3): It takes a Willpower(6) test with at least two successes to avoid waiting until the last possible day/minute/second to do some task that has a "deadline." GM determines the effect of a failure on a case-by-case basis.
6/10
My comment: ooh! lookie! a solidcobra flaw!

Combat Training (-4): TN for combat related skills +1 for defaulting to skill, +2 for defaulting to specialization, +3 for defaulting to attribute.
8/10
My comment: now this is cool..... still a little overpowered though....

Connected Background (-5): Character has access to beta-grade cyberware OR cultured bioware at chargen. Can only be purchased by new characters.
10/10
My comment: O_O! wee! combined with Adaptive System this can make anyones world ROCK!

Mana Lens (-5): Character is naturally capable of channeling mana more efficiently. -1 to all drain TNs.
100/10
My comment: once again, this kind of makes mages a "little" overpowered.....

Skilled
1 to 4
The character has an exceptional gift for the chosen skill, advancing rapidly in its mastery. Skilled may be chosen for a single Active Skill, and subsequently applies to the associated Build/Repair and Knowledge Skill(if multiple associated Knowledge Skills exist, choose only one). For the skill and associated skills, double the effective rating of the linked attribute for determining the Good Karma cost to raise the skill, and subtract 1 from the recalculated cost.

The edge value varies based upon the group of the skill chosen. Skilled(Language Skill) has a value of 1, Skilled(Physical Skill or Social Skill) has a value of 2, Skilled(Technical Skill or Vehicle Skill) has a value of 3, Skilled(Combat Skill or Magical Skill) has a value of 4.
10/10
My comment: meep! can we say "decker and rigger from hell"? i knew we could!
sable twilight
QUOTE (Enigma)
An edge I created for a Face character I have is 'Together'.

This one-point edge means that your character is always immaculately presented. S/he wakes from sleep with perfect hair and a dazzling smile. S/he cannot go out without people noting what s/he is wearing in a "where did she get that" fit of jealousy. Your character does not commit social faux paus - s/he creates the style, and does not follow it. This is intimidating for normal people, who still suffer from the 2am wakeup "hodafukizat" reflex and who still, on occasion, spill coffee on their jeans. This is known as the Swordmaster edge for those who play Earthdawn. The effect is a +2 modifier on tests of the other person/s involved in any non-intimidation social interactions (note that I do not use open rolls for social tests).

Only 1 point for something that gives everyone else a +2 penalty in very common situations. That's pretty generous.
GunnerJ
O_O!!!!! no way in hell am i allowing that piece of drek!

Good, because no one asked you to. nyahnyah.gif
mfb
bah, the six-point limit is only a reccomendation, and it only applies if you're buying/spending building points; if you're balancing flaw/edge points, you can get as many points' worth as you want. the only hard limit is the maximum of 5 edges and 5 flaws.

if you look at the social edges in SRComp, they're insane. one or two points for -2 TN on all social tests? yeesh. i don't see a problem. with Together, in that light.
Siege
QUOTE (mfb)
bah, the six-point limit is only a reccomendation, and it only applies if you're buying/spending building points; if you're balancing flaw/edge points, you can get as many points' worth as you want. the only hard limit is the maximum of 5 edges and 5 flaws.

if you look at the social edges in SRComp, they're insane. one or two points for -2 TN on all social tests? yeesh. i don't see a problem. with Together, in that light.

That's cause a lot of people don't bother with social tests. nyahnyah.gif

-Siege
Raptor1033
how about an edge that lets you need less sleep? 2 or 3 point cost for half the amount of sleep required? so 4 hours/night for normal people?
Kagetenshi
An overly expensive edge given the availability of Long Haul and Sleep Regulators.

~J
Raptor1033
heh i was trying to find a way around the large natural sleep requirements for a Wyrm shaman w/o resorting to ware. just trying to weasel out of a disadvantage smile.gif
Tziluthi
Mana Lens (-5): Character is naturally capable of channeling mana more efficiently. -1 to all drain TNs.

Albino gnome, anyone?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Albino gnome, anyone?

You forgot the Ghoul-part.
Crusher Bob
With exceptional willpower and a knack for sorcery.
Austere Emancipator
And of course Bonus Willpower.
Starting Willpower around 12. Tossing 6D Powerbolts all over the place with insignificant chance of ever getting Drain (12 dice from WP alone against 3D with that Edge).
The Burning One
The problem, as always, is not that the individual edge is overpowered. The problem is that when you encounter a min/max player they're never going to take just one. Most of those edges are perfectly acceptable for a number of different characters.

For example should a player have the urge to run a non augmented (Magic/Cyber) character and wanted the bonus to their dodge test I'd have no trouble with it at all and quite frankly I doubt many of you would either. The concern is the wired to the tits street sam or 12th grade initiate physad who takes that edge and then throws his/her 10+ combat pool at dodge tests.

Pretty much any of those edges or flaws can be worked into a game with no trouble at all but there's no question that a number of them would be a min/maxers wet dream come true.

Exercise a bit of control and the next time one of your players screams bloody murder because you nixed their most recent plan to make their character immortal drop an orbital cow on them and be done with it.

Flaming other posters or their ideas, even in small amounts, is really unnecessary.

TBO
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (The Burning One)
Flaming other posters or their ideas, even in small amounts, is really unnecessary.

You're right, I went a bit too far. Sorry.

Pretty much any of those edges or flaws can be worked into a game with no trouble at all but there's no question that a number of them would be a min/maxers wet dream come true.

That really is all that there is to be said about them.
Kagetenshi
It's pretty easy to have a combat pool in the 8-10 range without any cyber or magic whatsoever.

~J
Austere Emancipator
It's actually quite comparable to an Aptitude in a Combat skill, balance-wise. The numbers work out about the same. In some cases it's slightly more abusable: TNs are more often 6 or under, where -1TN matters the most, and getting loads of CP dice might be slightly easier than getting loads of dice on the attack. But it's not game-breaking unless someone really goes all the way and gets those 24+ CP dice. And that can be controlled in other ways.
The Burning One
It's pretty easy to have a combat pool in the 8-10 range without any cyber or magic whatsoever.

If your Joe normal wants to burn his combat pool of 9 dice (the highest for a human without exceeding normal maximums) dodging because he doesn't have the sammy's 10+ body and 6 layers of armour, I say good for him. If he has the enhanced dodge edge I say all the better. It increases his chances of survival in a game that's usually dominated by heavily augmented combat machines. Goodness knows he might need it depending on the power level of the campaign you run.

If on the other hand you have a street sam (adept, caster with quickened combat spells, etc) who has a combat pool of 12+, the enhanced dodge edge and a massive body/armour attribute to boot you're getting into one of those situations which is potentially game breaking.

Common sense would seem to indicate that there's a pretty serious difference between the two scenarios described above.

Saying a normal can have 8-10 combat pool without magic or cyber doesn't change the fact that a combat augmented character with the same 8-10 combat pool is appreciably scarrier than even your normal with maxed out regular attributes can ever hope to match.

TBO
Kagetenshi
Yes, but a mundane with a base TN of 3 for dodging becomes a lot scarier.
"Everyone do the Neo with me now!"

~J
GunnerJ
That really is all that there is to be said about them.

One more thing:

NPCs do not need to be min-maxed. They have no limits save the GM's whim.

I've never had a problem with "overpowered" players in any game I've GMed, and my players are expert min-maxers. They know that while they have to number crunch to get their 12 will or combat pool or whatever, my NPCs will give them a run for their money. No matter what they do.

I really have no patience for skittish, weak "GMs" who can't recognize this fact and appropriately scale a challenge, instead whining about things being "too powerful" for them.

EDIT: Just to make clear, AE, I'm not suggesting that you're necessarily in that category.
The Burning One
I guess the end conclusion is once again is use them If they're appropriate in your campaign.

But then isn't that the case with just about everything?

TBO
Crusher Bob
I'd say that it's more balanced than a knack for a combat skill, since it's less likely to disrupt the game. A player who is more survivable that the average joe is to be expected and easy to deal with. One who is around 2x as lethal is a bit harder.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (The Burning One)
I guess the end conclusion is once again is use them If they're appropriate in your campaign.

But then isn't that the case with just about everything?

Yeah, that's pretty much the point I wanted to make but failed miserably. And yes, that's probably the case with just about everything, and simply the fact that the Edge had such a high cost would probably have been a good enough indicator for all that stuff.

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
I'd say that it's more balanced than a knack for a combat skill, since it's less likely to disrupt the game. A player who is more survivable that the average joe is to be expected and easy to deal with. One who is around 2x as lethal is a bit harder.

That's a good point, lethality is often harder to deal with than survivability. In this case, however, I was not objecting to shadowrunners being more survivable than Average Joe. I only attempted to remind people that such high-powered edges may alter the game balance, for better or for worse.

QUOTE (GunnerJ)
I really have no patience for skittish, weak "GMs" who can't recognize this fact and appropriately scale a challenge, instead whining about things being "too powerful" for them.

Just to make clear, AE, I'm not suggesting that you're necessarily in that category.

I certainly have no trouble providing a challenge to my players, regardless of their power level, but this ties in with what TBO said: Appropriateness to campaign. Although, I'm quite inexperienced with edges and flaws (very uncommon in my games), and such a high cost for an edge might take care of that bit.
Crusher Bob
You can try looking at some of the design commentary for D&D 3.X, there's some pretty good stuff in there for those who havn't really thought about it before (check for the sections about balancing new feats).
Abstruse
Does the albino gnome have a dikoted ally spirit too?

Edges and flaws are pretty common in my games just because it's a nice way to flesh out a character and get that extra build point for that ONE more skill point to put in Athletics to show the character's background in dance. I personally like the less sleep edge (accompanied, of course, by its counterpart of a flaw which increases by 50% the amount of sleep required daily).

Speaking of which, are there even any rules for sleep deprivation? If so, can someone give page references? My players are going to be on a stakeout in a couple of weeks and I'd be nice to have the rules handy...

The Abstruse One
Senchae
QUOTE (Abstruse)
Speaking of which, are there even any rules for sleep deprivation?  If so, can someone give page references?  My players are going to be on a stakeout in a couple of weeks and I'd be nice to have the rules handy...

http://www.panix.com/~zackw/shadowrun/sleepdep.html

One of my friends did that on a lark. I don't expect it to be usable out of the box, but maybe it'll inspire you. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Ok, #97 is just creepy.

~J
Wireknight
Disclaimer: I worked with mfb on these edges, so I've already, so I judge, worked out a decent amount of the bugs with them. Some, however, are not fully debugged and that's what this little analysis is all about.

Rapid Evasion 

The character is exceptionally quick on his feet. Apply a -1 TN# to all Dodge tests the character makes.

This edge was mfb's work.

The argument that this is identical to Aptitude(and thus should cost 4 instead of 8) is initially valid until you consider a matter of scope. There's no skill that's so universally applicable as the simple rolling of combat pool dice to avoid attacks. I'd say that even with a character that focuses solely on a single skill and refuses blindly to use any skill but that one to resolve situations that arise will still end up rolling twice as many dodge tests as they will roll skill tests.

Hence my judgment call to raise the cost of this edge to 8 points, a consensus judgment. It really is quite useful. Not insanely unbalancing, or I'd have insisted we work it down further, but likewise high-powered enough to compete with Rating 4 Ambidexterity in its applicability.

Skilled 
1 to 4 

Note:
As Skilled(Martial Art or Brawling) has no associated Build/Repair skill, reduce by 1 the Good Karma cost to purchase a Maneuver with the chosen skill. As Skilled(Language Skill) has no associated Knowledge skill or Build/Repair skill, the edge's bonus applies to all languages in the same linguistic group, as well as all dialects of, the chosen language.

I'm pretty happy with this, overall. Yeah, you can make an uber-mage or urber-decker with it if you're determined. This was created specifically to statistically justify the existences of people who just had unimaginable gifts for a certain field and showed effortless(or at least easy) advancement. History and fiction are rife with such individuals.

Large 

The +1 reach modifier was argued because when a human is eight feet tall and retains proportions, it really does give their reach that meter that's needed to constitute a +1 reach weapon. The Dwarf argument is likewise pretty much invalid, since dwarves do, as-written, have longer arms, proportionally, than humans. Thus a human-sized dwarf, created via this edge, would have a really big reach. This would probably exascerabate the visibility of dwarven disproportionality(of course, maybe dwarves think humans are all disproportioned with their skinny, long legs), not actually create it.

As far as decreasing signature goes, that's a penalty. I am of the firm belief that by not creating Traits, ala Fallout, which combine bonuses and penalties, Shadowrun firmly established its edge/flaw system as being segregated. Edges provide bonuses, flaws provide penalties. I made certain the edges/flaws conformed to this as a good logical rule.

Mnemonic Talent 
4 or 8 
The character has exceptional mnemonic abilities. The character acts as if implanted with a Mnemonic Enhancer(Rating 1 or 2). This effect is not cumulative with mnemonic enhancer bioware.

I'm pretty happy with this. I figured that Photographic Memory is a good edge, but it conveys not too great a statistical benefit compared to bioware that's intended to produce the same effect. This is kind of an expansion/replacement for the aforementioned edge.

Dual Adaptation 
2 or 4 
The magically active character in question has adapted to dual-natured interaction, and reduces the +2 TN# modifier associated with physical tasks while astrally perceiving by 1 per point of Dual Adaptation.

I thought that +2 to all physical TN#s while astrally perceiving for non-dual beings was appropriate, but that it should be able to be adapted to. I mean, a human who becomes a ghoul and subsequently is a dual-being doesn't suffer the penalty for physical tasks even though he's likely had less time adapting than someone who developed the ability to perceive astrally as a teen. I might even suggest that characters who become dual-beings, to explain this oddity, be given this edge at its highest value for free upon making the transition.

Slow Learner 
The character struggles to improve in the chosen skill. Slow Learner applies to a single Active skill group, or Languages, as well as all Knowledge skill groups associated with the active skill group in question. When calculating the Good Karma cost to raise the skills in question, halve the effective rating of the linked attribute, and add 1 to the subsequent cost.

Originally, this applied to a single active skill and was subsequently unbalanced in light of the potential of people using it on rating 1 skills to skyrocket their creation point value. It's a cheap hack, and a GM could easily smite the offender, but the fact that it can even happen shows some weakness in the implementation. As it is now, I think it's a good counterpart to Skilled.

Obese
The character is morbidly obese. Apply a -1 penalty to the racial modified limit for Quickness, reduce running multiplier by 1, and increase the TN# for all athletics tests by the character by +2.

This is the counterpart to Large. I should note that Max(Talks-With-Cats) and his site gave me the idea for both of these edges, although my implementations and costs were ultimately different. Some people argued that a +1 to Body should also be assessed, or at least a +1 Body for damage resistance. As with Large's potential for reduced Signature, this potential increase in Body is a bonus given with a flaw, which I do not agree with and thus did not include.

Dual Discomfort
The magically active character in question is never truly gotten the hang of balancing physical activity while astrally active. Apply an additional +1 to the TN# of all purely physical tasks while the character is astrally perceiving.

This is a little tricky, since arguably completely physical tasks do not include combat against living beings, which would be a major reason for this flaw's high value. I might drop it to -2, actually.

Oathbound
-1 to -4
The character has sworn an oath, be it a solemn spiritual vow, a promise, a contractual agreement, or even an off-handed affirmation that has been somehow karmically bound to the character's destiny. While the degree of seriousness associated with the oath should ideally correspond with the value of the flaw, this need not necessarily be the case. Fate is fickle.

In practical terms, so long as the character is fulfilling or acting in accordance with the oath, Good Karma is earned normally. If the character forsakes the oath, a 10% penalty per point of the Oathbound flaw is applied to all Good Karma awards, with modified values rounded down. The character must resume pursuit of the oath in order to gain Good Karma at a normal rate once more.

Characters should not combine this flaw with others. For instance, a character who has sworn to raise a younger sibling does not get points for both Oathbound and Dependent.

If a broken oath cannot be resumed, such as the event of a protected target dying, or if an oath is somehow fulfilled, the character must choose another flaw of equal value to the level of Oathbound the character possessed prior. Some ideas include Bad Karma, Cursed Karma, Hung Out To Dry, Bad Reputation, and Hunted.

I'm fine with this. motorfirebox had the idea, and I think it's a good karmically related flaw that doesn't penalize quite so uniformly and crushingly as Bad Karma. It's also a nifty way to justify having a character with Ninjitsu, if you're a lameass that really wants something like that.
Playing Games
QUOTE (Wireknight)

Large 

The +1 reach modifier was argued because when a human is eight feet tall and retains proportions, it really does give their reach that meter that's needed to constitute a +1 reach weapon. The Dwarf argument is likewise pretty much invalid, since dwarves do, as-written, have longer arms, proportionally, than humans. Thus a human-sized dwarf, created via this edge, would have a really big reach. This would probably exascerabate the visibility of dwarven disproportionality(of course, maybe dwarves think humans are all disproportioned with their skinny, long legs), not actually create it.

As far as decreasing signature goes, that's a penalty. I am of the firm belief that by not creating Traits, ala Fallout, which combine bonuses and penalties, Shadowrun firmly established its edge/flaw system as being segregated. Edges provide bonuses, flaws provide penalties. I made certain the edges/flaws conformed to this as a good logical rule.

Well,here is the two main problem with that Edge.Dwarves have short arms,for their size,and Troll have long arms for theirs.

Dwarves have the body size of a normal human,they have shorter arms,and legs,not just legs.

Trolls have short legs,meaning that they have long arms,compared to humans.

As a troll who is 6 feet would have longer arms than a human who is six feet. And yes,a Dwarf who was 6 feet tall would still have shorter arms than a human who was 6 feet tall.

Also,the human doesn't really grow +/- 50% of avrage.Noting that a full grown male is ~185 CM,so a large human would be ~278 CM.IIRC the tallest was ~280 CM.So,want that edge to put you in the ginus book of world records?
mfb
playing games, you're mistaken. re-read the in-character racial essay for dwarves at the beginning of SR3--it says, very clearly, that dwarves have human proportions (or very nearly so) from the waist up. the example given is that a dwarf could probably borrow a human's shirt.
Playing Games
Even with that fact,you would have the"shortest" troll ever.And if you think they should have +1 one reach,then normal trolls should have a reach of 2.Wakyambi,should also have a reach +1.Reach for the most part is adding roughly 100CM to the human arm.
Moonstone Spider
Hmm, there's several flaws that increase the essence cost of cyberware, is there room for an Insensitive System edge that reduces essence loss from cyberware?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012