Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LOOT THE BODY!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Legs
First off, let me say that I am totally for having players who try to make money on their own and who are very proactive about having other "business"...

But what do you do when you're players (or in my case ONE player out of the group) has this Dungeons and Dragons "loot the body" mentality. Anytime they kill someone, he rushes over to loot the body. And I'm not just talking about grabbing a gun or anything like that...no, he takes ANYTHING he can get...commlinks are a big one. Then he wipes them and sells them.

Now, I know I can make it so he doesn't have time to loot the bodies, but that never seems realistic with the situations that have come up. So far it's been in deep areas of the barrens where no cops are going to show up and where the opposition is dead or gone.

Anyone else havet his problem? It's just something I find totally annoying.
Grinder
Did you talk to the player and tell him that it's annoying?
Kerrang
I don't see a problem with it myself. Even though my current group is about half new players who had not played much other than D&D, they don't typically loot the bodies, other than grabbing the occasional dropped weapon. Previous groups I have GM'd did loot just about everything as long as they had time, and it never really bothered me. I also would not have a problem with the group looting the entire body, as in picking up the body, removing the valuables, and delivering the corpse to organ-leggers. They picked up a Tanamous contact a few sessions back, and I kind of expected this to start happening, but no one has thought of it yet.
klavis
I guess it can be annoying, but really it seems realistic. At least the player hasn't started taking the body and start cutting it up and selling the cyberwear. It's totally realistic for the game and a way for players to make money.
Chrysalis
Being on a schedule gives you enough time to loot. What about encumberance? Who are they going to sell all this stuff to?

My idea is that allow them to loot. But have them spend more time picking over corpses, which means windows of not getting caught get smaller. They get minuses for carrying around stuff. Their fence won't take any of the stuff, but says you can get a blanket and go on a Saturday to sell your stuff at the crime mall.

Usually 2 hours of mind numbing waiting, selling maybe one item for half the price they wanted to sell it for, tells them that this may not be for them. A guy comes around and does not talk to them at all, but writes down all the serial numbers of the equipment, he does this for all the the other stands (He's an Ares informant who gets 500 nuyen for every five stolen items he can track and trace).

It's the principle of a kid opening up a lemonade stand. Supply them with all the lemons (at cost) and have them realise that the money does not come flooding in, you have to work hard for it, like any other real business. If they persist, reward them, but most players are lazy and when they realize there is no such thing as an easy nuyen they stop.
ZeroPoint
Yeah, I can see how that can be an issue that detracts from the setting a bit. Especially if your player is doing it when he has something else he should be doing. On the other hand, if a player has the time and opportunity to snag some useful gear and its in line with the characters ideals, then they should be doing so. Maybe not stripping the security team of their armor/clothing...but grabbing whatever is easy to grab and carry. Enforce realism with carrying stuff. If they don't have a bag or something to carry it in, then they are holding it. Which means they have one less hand free. If they do have a bag, then they have to be dropping it in order to do anything, or they wear it on their backs where it would be hindering them in almost every physical and combat skill they perform. And a lot of things are hot. Especially comlinks and guns, or really anything that has a device rating or is likely to be loaded with RFID tags. If he doesn't take the time to turn them off, you know building security is gonna be tracing that node moving out and around the building and all the way back to the safehose. If he has to erase 20 RFID tags every time he picks up an item, he'll be taking a lot longer looting...now the security team is gonna be getting a lot closer before locating and surrounding the team while your looter is still packing his bag.
Blade
It came up a few times on the boards. On the top of my head, the answers (not necessarily mine) are:

* It doesn't really matter. They get a few more nuyens, that's all.
* If you pay your PC enough, they wouldn't need to do it.
* Loot can be heavy, and you don't want to be slowed down by something heavy.
* Resale value is low, making it not worth it most of the time.
* Some gear might have security measures that have to be worked around before selling them (or will lower the sale price) and that might be used to track down the PC
* Some people don't want to deal with "hot" stolen gear.
Bignaffer
I dont see any problem with it within reason. when you think about it there is a whole lot of easy money to be made. most shadowrunners do it for the money and if you are going to do a job for say 10-20k why not take a few seconds to pick up a guards gun and comlink? that stuff is expensive, if you end up having to kill a couple guards and they have even mediocre stuff you could potentially double your income.

now that being said i would make sure to keep on them about the details. carrying weight, encumberance, fencing the goods, possibly earning a reputation...there are lots of ways to make them earn it.
Dakka Dakka
A couple of ways to get rid of that behavior, if this is your intention:
1. Pay them more. If the players need the couple of ¥ for a used commlink, they're underpaid.
2. If they just doing it because they can, have the environment react to it, just like chrysalis already wrote.
3. Did they really remove all the stealth tags on the gear? Maybe the corp they just hit would try to locate them via the tags.
4. If the looting becomes common practice and it is common knowledge that a couple of runners steal everything that isn't nailed down, someone may start rigging their employees commlinks with explosives special dyes etc.
5. Have a Johnson tell them that it is bad style to steal the personal belongings of the employees.

But first talk with your players and tell them that this is ruining your fun and ask them why hey think they must do it.
eidolon
Our group has a couple of guys with this problem, too. It bugs the living shit out of me, but hey, players with a little bit too much of a D&D mentality are better than no players at all. At least they tend to stick to weapons and the occasional armored vest.

And yeah, it kinda makes a certain type of sense. I know. If you're playing gangers that make little to no money, it makes all kinds of sense to try to sell that spare AK-97. But that's not the game we're playing. We get paid pretty well, and we take pretty "good" jobs so far. So when it happens in this game, it pulls you out of Shadowrun and just makes you groan.

Another time the D&D mentality shows up is in interactions with NPCs. I told the GM in the first session that I was going to call this disgruntled prison guard and bribe him for information and one of these players laughed and said "you're WHAT?" as though the only appropriate thing to do with NPCs is to swing swords at them.

They'll come around, I suppose. I'm not GMing right now, but I intend to work on stuff like this when it does come around to me. I try to be a better example as a player so they'll see some new approaches and stuff, but it's easier as the GM.
Sponge
There's always the problem of "who knows where that gun's been." Maybe they looted some spiffy equipment, but what did the guy who had it do with it before running into the PCs? And now the PCs have their fingerprints all over it? Could lead to some trouble smile.gif
Marwynn
I wouldn't have a problem with it. Deep down, most shadowrunners are in it for the money. That dead guy that tried to kill you just a few seconds ago isn't going to be needing that Sony Emperor now is he?

Just make sure they run a Tag Eraser over the stuff, to deal with the normal RFIDs. Embed a few stealth or security RFIDs in the gear too. Or some anti-theft devices. It would suck bigtime to be nailed for selling stolen goods after pulling off a major run.

If it's just a mentality of greed then cure him of it. Make the targets tougher, make them smarter too. Have them also be looked down on by the rather tight-knight shadowrun community. Sure, taking a few credsticks is a good idea. I take them from stunned guards, hey those bullets cost me money too.

Guns are a no-no, if they're corp issue they're corp-trackable. Get the ammo and move on.

Screaming Eagle
Well if the money he's making is the problem remember he's only getting a slim fraction of the book value. - Stolen, market is flooded (most low-end comlinks will be "common as dirt" and you just won't find a buyer), etc, etc.

If its the time it takes there are lots of ways around this - I had a Runner in love with stealing cars, not really for profit but why buy a car when the streets are littered with them. Well 1 in 1000 people are awakened and I haven't seen the hacker yet that could deal with a watcher spirit car alarm (I'm sure there are some, just not in my games). One "signifigant insisdent" involving a (relativly low-end) possesion tradition mage later and the team was VERY leary of unnessasary casual crime while "out on business".
For stealing things from the fallen - stealth or security tags make a great gift for your runners, gangers aren't scary, gangs are. People personalise things. Everything from initials engraved on their off the shelf com to angry free Sprites that were calling it home till just now.

But really stealing from the dead deep in the barrens? You don't feel its approprate to drop a metric ton of bricks on them just for BEING in the barrens? Ghouls are one of my fav deterents for sticking around where there is fresh meat. No one wants to be anywhere near strain 3. No one. If its just gangers and punks they are taking down they will quickly get a rep and they will be avoided by such people in general unless the team is SERIOUSLY out numbered.
Orcus Blackweather
I think it's funny that you have a problem with looting, but not gacking the stiff in the first place. Let's face it, what is petty theft compared to murder?

Your problem seems to be spending time on it. Ask the player point blank, do you wish to always loot light valuables from every kill?

If he says yes, then in the future always assume that he is doing this, and give him an additional nuyen value at the end of the run. If he never says anything else about it, it becomes an adventure hook. At some point in the future, someone will track him down because of this behaviour. You can try to punish the group for role playing in a way you don't like, or you can use it for your own advantage. I suggest the latter.
StealthSigma
If (Object.Status = 'Rare' OR Object.Availability = 'Hard to Acquire' OR Object.ImmediateValue = 'Can be used in this mission') Then
Object.Location = My.Character.Inventory
Else
Object.Abandon = True
End If
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 24 2009, 12:03 PM) *
If (Object.Status = 'Rare' OR Object.Availability = 'Hard to Acquire' OR Object.ImmediateValue = 'Can be used in this mission') Then
Object.Location = My.Character.Inventory
Else
Object.Abandon = True
End If

That made me laugh. Very true. And now I'm really wishing you had picked up that gun for me instead of abandoning it to WP grenades. Oh well. I guess it wasn't really rare/hard to acquire/of immediate value...just wanted it.
Marwynn
Also, keep in mind that what he's doing is creating a followable trail. Some runners actually loot and steal and so forth just so they can create false trails afterwards. That's when you know you'll have to kill some poor shmucks.

And yeah, deep in the barrens = stumbling onto a gang fighting off another gang that's under assault by ghouls. Lots of ghouls.
LurkerOutThere
I can't really complain, I play a character who keeps a collection of "drop guns" guns he's claimed from his fallen enemies or others so if he suspects a situation is going to be bad. He'll take a drop gun instead of his heavily customized expensive personal weapon. Because he can always just throw it in the gutter later with no compunctions.

I think the core problem is one of perception, in shadowrun the characters are generally criminals doing things for the money. It seems totally in character for them to loot anythign they have time for that isn't nailed down/won't compromise the mission. That's the thing, A j has no place telling Shadowrunner A that he shouldn't loot bob the Security guards gun unless that's specifically laid out as part of the mission parameters. Where Johnson A has room to complain is when the PC's are vandalizing the target area to the point it will bring heat or conflict with his own goals.

The way to controll this on the GM side is to remember that hot gear is only going to bring a fraction of it's actual book value unless it's hideosly hard to aquire. This makes most personal effects like comlinks, guns, body armor very very low value. 10-20 percent of book at best. The way i've handled it with players in the past is a scene ala the pawn shop scene in the crow. The runners bring a bag of stolen goods to their fixers or junk dealer. The junk dealer takes a look at the contents of the bag (a casual one at that) and makes the PC's a pathetically low offer, a few K at absolute best. The PC's can either take the offer, knowing their being ripped off but knowing that actually tr5ying to sell each indivdual item of hot gear will be a painfull and annoying endeaver that will cut into hooker and novacoke time. Or they can take the money offered and skip on their way.

Ravor
Personally I've found that looting is fairly self policing if you apply common sense in asking how and where is he carrying everything? But if the character has the downtime and skills to sell it, then let him, it is likely to be pocketchange anyways and if he isn't careful the rest of the team will simply leave him behind because they aren't dumb enough to forget that they only stay alive if they can stay ahead of corpsec.

*EDIT*

LurkerOutThere pretty much summed it up for me.
CanadianWolverine
Reading this thread, I now am getting an idea for a Shadowrun character who loots like crazy for the components. I'm imagining someone who makes specialty gear for his fellow runners and uses the parts from all their stolen goods. Hmm, like some sort of genius barrens grease monkey weaponsmith. Hmm, I wonder what kinds of improvised explosives you could make from the contents of looted bodies or the bodies themselves? Hmm, and surely there would be street docs who could possibly make use of the organs...

The last character I made had a strong aversion to looting bodies because he didn't want to be tracked. *shrug* And why loot when you could find a Contact who could put in a custom order for better equipment from the untraceable nuyen you earned from the Mr. J? The reason that body is dead is because their skills and equipment weren't good enough to keep them in the land of the living, if you think about it.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Sep 24 2009, 12:09 PM) *
That made me laugh. Very true. And now I'm really wishing you had picked up that gun for me instead of abandoning it to WP grenades. Oh well. I guess it wasn't really rare/hard to acquire/of immediate value...just wanted it.

There may be times outside of that condition where I pick things up, but it's going to be times where I know I have a lull or aren't on an time schedule so that I can case the bodies, or if it's a highly desirable item regardless of availability or rarity, but those will be the exceptions that prove the rule.
Deathmaster35
So a bunch of you here would probably frown on what my team does, we take a millimeter wave scanner with us on runs. When we geek someone, we scan the body for 'ware and if we have time chop it out.. we would probably havest organs too, if we had a contact to buy them and the correct gear to carry them off safely.

As pointed out, shadowrunners are criminals that are paid to kill people. Not ever shadowrunner is going to have the stomache to chop up their victems and remove the valuables, but for those that will it is a good bit of cash.

as for selling the goods, there are rules for that already presented in the book. You get 30% the base value for selling the junk, so not much on most stuff. When you are on a run that only pays 10k though and you can grab and sell a set of wired 2 you just almost doubled your income! (and for those wondering, we took the body with us and removed it outside the site and dumped the body in the barrens)

On several runs we have increased our base pay by a significant amount from loot. Our team has two orks that are more than strong enough to carry some stray gear and the occational body
Ravor
No, I have no problem whatsoever with what you've described provided of course that you limit yourself to "when the time is right" AND if the characters actually have the proper skills to cut out the cyber without damaging the goods. I may or may not disagree on how often a Runner should have the spare time necessary for semi-delicate surgery however...
Sponge
QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Sep 24 2009, 01:23 PM) *
As pointed out, shadowrunners are criminals that are paid to kill people.

Shadowrunners are paid to achieve the mission goals, which can sometimes be to kill someone, but not always (rarity of the occurrence depending on the group).
Orcus Blackweather
QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Sep 24 2009, 11:23 AM) *
So a bunch of you here would probably frown on what my team does, we take a millimeter wave scanner with us on runs. When we geek someone, we scan the body for 'ware and if we have time chop it out.. we would probably havest organs too, if we had a contact to buy them and the correct gear to carry them off safely.

As pointed out, shadowrunners are criminals that are paid to kill people. Not ever shadowrunner is going to have the stomache to chop up their victems and remove the valuables, but for those that will it is a good bit of cash.

as for selling the goods, there are rules for that already presented in the book. You get 30% the base value for selling the junk, so not much on most stuff. When you are on a run that only pays 10k though and you can grab and sell a set of wired 2 you just almost doubled your income! (and for those wondering, we took the body with us and removed it outside the site and dumped the body in the barrens)

On several runs we have increased our base pay by a significant amount from loot. Our team has two orks that are more than strong enough to carry some stray gear and the occational body

I have no problem with this at all. Rules are there, and obviously your group does not have an issue with this style of game. It just appears to me that your group is taking fairly easy runs. That you have time to sit around for minutes at a time after killing someone without repercussions, and that after quite a bit of time (I am assuming), with an established Modus Operandi, and have not been killed by any of your victims families/corporation, is nothing short of amazing.

As an example... There are only so many places in any given city where you can unload 4 internal commlinks, 4 sets of cybereyes, a purple cyberleg with the initial FU2 on it, and etc...

A decent data search by someone with knowledge of these places will pick up these sales in short order. Next time you go to make a sale you will be met by an HRT team. At least that is how our game tends to work. Perhaps your GM is more fault tolerant.
Screaming Eagle
To clarify my stance:

I have had the group increase the yeild from a run by over 500% for particularly lucky "looting" - the opposition included team of runners they got the drop on, the team had a van at the time and they just drove off with the Sami's corpse and a fairly intact drone. Wired 2, dermal sheathing and a small cross section of impant weapons, pitty the turned his skull into goo and dropped the selling price a fair bit or the team would have been living Highlifestyle for s few months.

The issue I had was not this kind of one off,
It's that they regularly lift anything not nailed down and assume there will be few repercussions.
It was the blithly stealing cars day after day (each time taking up a bit of RP time) assuming that since I stopped asking for rolls (his dice pool was gross) that it was going to be a cake walk forever. So I toss curve balls to remind him although I'd have to design a car for him to not be able to break into (and at this point its computer system, ICE and physical security is FAR more expencive them most cars) he is in the Sixth World and he does not have all the bases covered no matter how much he thinks he does so he had better be careful.
Mäx
QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Sep 24 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Does your team include a skilled cyber-surgean, as otherwise i would say that you can't just cut wired reflexes out of someone, that's delicate prosess needing a right set of skills or you risk damaging the goods.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 24 2009, 02:36 PM) *
No, I have no problem whatsoever with what you've described provided of course that you limit yourself to "when the time is right" AND if the characters actually have the proper skills to cut out the cyber without damaging the goods. I may or may not disagree on how often a Runner should have the spare time necessary for semi-delicate surgery however...

Agreed, on stuff like cyberlimbs it seems like it would be a simple matter to lop it off, but to actually have the time to remove most other ware while on the run without damaging the ware beyond use.... well that seems like a bit of a stretch.
Sponge
QUOTE (Screaming Eagle @ Sep 24 2009, 01:47 PM) *
It was the blithly stealing cars day after day (each time taking up a bit of RP time) assuming that since I stopped asking for rolls (his dice pool was gross) that it was going to be a cake walk forever.

The hard part of stealing cars is not the breaking in (although that can be made hard if someone really wanted to protect their car), it's the getting rid of it afterwards bit. Why would people be putting their lives on the line shadowrunning for 10k nuyen.gif every few weeks if stealing cars was easier and just as profitable? wink.gif Every component in the car is RFID'ed (probably with security tags), you've got GridGuide traces to deal with, and so on. A stolen car should only acquire significant value after it's been "processed" by a quality chop shop to eliminate the red flags.

Plus, of course, you never know what's in the trunk of a stolen car if you don't look wink.gif
Bignaffer
i had a character who would do that in our last game. the combat medic was an expert with medicine first aid and ware and would take obvious peices like cyber-hands, cyber-eyes and the like if we had time.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Sponge @ Sep 24 2009, 04:19 PM) *
The hard part of stealing cars is not the breaking in (although that can be made hard if someone really wanted to protect their car), it's the getting rid of it afterwards bit. Why would people be putting their lives on the line shadowrunning for 10k nuyen.gif every few weeks if stealing cars was easier and just as profitable? wink.gif Every component in the car is RFID'ed (probably with security tags), you've got GridGuide traces to deal with, and so on. A stolen car should only acquire significant value after it's been "processed" by a quality chop shop to eliminate the red flags.

Plus, of course, you never know what's in the trunk of a stolen car if you don't look wink.gif

A gay Yakuza boss wearing nothing but socks and underwear?
Orcus Blackweather
QUOTE (Screaming Eagle @ Sep 24 2009, 11:47 AM) *
To clarify my stance:

I have had the group increase the yeild from a run by over 500% for particularly lucky "looting" - the opposition included team of runners they got the drop on, the team had a van at the time and they just drove off with the Sami's corpse and a fairly intact drone. Wired 2, dermal sheathing and a small cross section of impant weapons, pitty the turned his skull into goo and dropped the selling price a fair bit or the team would have been living Highlifestyle for s few months.

The issue I had was not this kind of one off,
It's that they regularly lift anything not nailed down and assume there will be few repercussions.
It was the blithly stealing cars day after day (each time taking up a bit of RP time) assuming that since I stopped asking for rolls (his dice pool was gross) that it was going to be a cake walk forever. So I toss curve balls to remind him although I'd have to design a car for him to not be able to break into (and at this point its computer system, ICE and physical security is FAR more expencive them most cars) he is in the Sixth World and he does not have all the bases covered no matter how much he thinks he does so he had better be careful.

Shrug, occasionally you can just use Caveat. No need to specially design a car for this, no need to specially design anything. Next time he steal a car, have him roll his dice. Whatever his result, barring massive success (unless you are even willing to ignore that), he sets off the internal alarms. The rest of the session is then a rolling firefight. The mission you gave them was time sensitive, and because of all the dithering about the car, they failed to complete it. Whatever group was associated with the vehicle is pissed that they tried to steal it, and will be looking for them, etc... You can use the entire session just to show the many things that can go wrong with something so simple.

As an alternative, wave your hand and shrug dismissively. "Yada, yada, yada... you steal another car. Unless you are trying to keep it, or sell it, I just assume that you succeed. No point in wasting everyone else' time on something so trivial." The same could apply to theft. "Ok you steal everything not nailed down, and the street sam pried a few things up. I am not going to roll up random loot, so you get X nuyen.gif " Just treat it as a trivial thing. You decide how much money you want in your campaign. If they steal more than that, they have trouble selling immediately. Fixer: "Oh dude, I can so get you a bunch of cash for that...It will take a bit of time, but I am sure I can get you a buttload of cash. If you are in a hurry, I can buy it on speculation, but I can only offer 30% of that amount"

Normally, unless part of the group is bored while this sort of thing is going on, let your people roleplay whatever they want. If they want to spend an entire session looting penile implants, hey more power to them. Just make sure that you screw with them enough to make it fun for yourself as well. When they start to have some of the characters monopolize the time of the others, then you just say, this is taking too long, I am going to the other characters, and I will come back to you...
L.D
I remember a couple of years back when I was playing in this group. We where looting the bodies and it went so far that we started having arguments about how got to loot what...

The GM we had got tired of the situation and... their armour and weapons just disappeared after they went down. After that we cooled down a bit... biggrin.gif
Faradon
Just my personal opinion here... so take it for what it's worth.

When I watch a movie and the hero takes out a bad guy but doesn't pick up the guy's gun even though he is low on bullets I find myself calling him an idiot. "Why leave the fully automatic weapon on the ground when you only have 3 bullets left in your beretta???"

So when I play or run a shadowrun game I have no problem with searching the bodies. In fact I would encourage it... I mean, what if some guard has the passkey for a maglock on him? What if a certain person's comlink signature is needed for doors to open, etc. In a regular game ripping out cyberware for some cred and selling the left over tissue to ghouls might be a bit over the top... but in other games it might be acceptable.

In the current game I am running I have a bunch of characters built with 300 BP and limitations on how much money/magic they were able to start with... they are all part of a street gang and I wouldn't be surprised if they chopped off a cyberarm for some extra cash (if the opportunity were to present itself.)
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Faradon @ Sep 24 2009, 04:56 PM) *
Just my personal opinion here... so take it for what it's worth.

When I watch a movie and the hero takes out a bad guy but doesn't pick up the guy's gun even though he is low on bullets I find myself calling him an idiot. "Why leave the fully automatic weapon on the ground when you only have 3 bullets left in your beretta???"

It's because these movies go by the 'rule of cool' where your ammo clip is always full except when a dramatic moment is called for (like having the BBEG on your sight 3 minutes after the movie begun)

QUOTE (Faradon @ Sep 24 2009, 04:56 PM) *
So when I play or run a shadowrun game I have no problem with searching the bodies. In fact I would encourage it... I mean, what if some guard has the passkey for a maglock on him? What if a certain person's comlink signature is needed for doors to open, etc. In a regular game ripping out cyberware for some cred and selling the left over tissue to ghouls might be a bit over the top... but in other games it might be acceptable.

In the current game I am running I have a bunch of characters built with 300 BP and limitations on how much money/magic they were able to start with... they are all part of a street gang and I wouldn't be surprised if they chopped off a cyberarm for some extra cash (if the opportunity were to present itself.)

Well, checking for intel, ammo, etc should be default. Come on, every time a soldier slots some one and they are not under heavy fire, they will always check for supply and intel... The same thing could be ingrained in shadowrunner who begun life as soldiers or mercs.
Mäx
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Sep 24 2009, 11:19 PM) *
It's because these movies go by the 'rule of cool' where your ammo clip is always full except when a dramatic moment is called for (like having the BBEG on your sight 3 minutes after the movie begun)

Yeah but it's really agravating when the dramatic moments comes 3 minutes after the hero walked a way from dozen at least half loaded submachine guns.
LurkerOutThere
Easiest way to curb the car theft thing without taking even more time is to have all the buyers dry up meaning he can't offloaded his car. Alternatively pick soemthing he didn't do exactly right witha theft and have the authotheft detective come down on him, hard. Arrest him, have him sweat enough, have the detective release him due to lack of evidence but witht he clear notation he'll be watching for him in the future. The detective is of course on one of the major autheft rings int he cities payroll and they don't take jkinda to "independant contractors" if he doesn't get the hint step up the harassment.
Deathmaster35
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 24 2009, 02:17 PM) *
Agreed, on stuff like cyberlimbs it seems like it would be a simple matter to lop it off, but to actually have the time to remove most other ware while on the run without damaging the ware beyond use.... well that seems like a bit of a stretch.

hence I mentioned that you take the body with you. When you have the body, you have all the time you need to get cyberware out of it.

As for the skill to remove cyberware, the GM probably should have required someone to have the cybertech skill, but the guy that did it was our hacker with 5 logic and like +4-6 dice to logic linked skills.
Orcus Blackweather
QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Sep 24 2009, 03:06 PM) *
hence I mentioned that you take the body with you. When you have the body, you have all the time you need to get cyberware out of it.

As for the skill to remove cyberware, the GM probably should have required someone to have the cybertech skill, but the guy that did it was our hacker with 5 logic and like +4-6 dice to logic linked skills.

Oh that is priceless. Unless they specify that they are searching for a biomonitor, assume that it is still active. The group is quietly driving away from a spree of mass murder with a van filled with their spoils, and at least one is telling the authorities that it is in the back. If they do check, have one of the bodies carry an internal commlink in hidden mode. Security RFID tags in all of the company installed cyberware, or etc...
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Sep 24 2009, 06:06 PM) *

Both Medicine and Cybertechnology are not skills that you can default on. So your hacker shouldn't be able to properly extract the cyberware. twirl.gif
Karoline
A decent data search by someone with knowledge of these places will pick up these sales in short order. Next time you go to make a sale you will be met by an HRT team. At least that is how our game tends to work. Perhaps your GM is more fault tolerant.

I wasn't aware that blackmarket traders went on twitter after each sale and posted "Sweet, I totally just bought X, Y, and Z from some runners who hit an ares compound last night. They left their contact info, it was 123 easy st." wink.gif

Also, I'm kinda curious why looting bodies is so acceptable in D&D and not SR? I mean in D&D you are generally playing a hero(ish) character, while in SR you are playing a criminal. Seems to me the criminal would be much more in character for looting a corpse than a hero... :shrug:

I have to agree with all the people talking about putting RFID chips in stuff that they are trying to take. While the corp they are in at the moment likely wouldn't know the numbers to track off hand, they likely could figure it out by the next day. Also keep in mind that RFID zappers zap electronics like commlinks as well, so good luck clearing the commlink of tags.

Biggest ways to prevent this are enforce encomberance and time limits. There is -never- unlimited time to loot corpses.

P.S. All NPCs die with their finger locked down on the trigger, thus burning all their ammo nyahnyah.gif
The Dragon Girl
Chiming in with my two nuyen
..Several people have said that being a shadowrunner means being a person who is paid to kill people.
Uhm.. No.
A lot of shadowrunners, to my knowledge don't do wetwork, sure a firefight might come up, but theres a reason theres a specific term for a job that involves contract killing.

That being said:

My adept is a wetworker, she -only- kills people when she has been paid to do so, and shes good enough to pick her contracts. The rest of the time its dmso and narcojet for everyone. And boots to the head. Or just plain sneaking around so it never becomes an issue. When she -does- kill someone she loots the body, and I don't just mean rifling its pockets.. she takes the entire body to a ghoul who used to be a successful surgeon, and sells the cyber, the viable organs, and then the rest for meat. She actually plans around doing this.

However when she is -not- doing wetwork.. well the only time the team has looted the opposition was when they -really- pissed them off, knowing it was considered a dick thing to do, and doing it more or less to prove a point. (They'd been set up for a double cross, and these guys meant to tpk the team.. so the team tricked them into giving themselves away early, and in public, while we kicked their arses in ways that made it look like we were complete victems, and left them passed out for the Star to pick up after a quick pocket rifle from our invisoed team member)
Twilights_Herald
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 24 2009, 06:33 PM) *
Also, I'm kinda curious why looting bodies is so acceptable in D&D and not SR? I mean in D&D you are generally playing a hero(ish) character, while in SR you are playing a criminal. Seems to me the criminal would be much more in character for looting a corpse than a hero... :shrug:

I think it's a difference in goals. In D&D, you're sort of in a DIY business. You may get the occasional reward from the townsfolk for slaying the dragon, but the real reward is in the dragon's lair. That's where the Sword of Ultimate Power is, where there's a nifty new spell waiting for your wizard to learn, and so on. The only time you generally resort to making your own gear is when the GM won't plant exactly what you want in the hoards, In any event, in D&D the major resource is picked up on the bodies. So it only makes sense to make sure to strip-search /every/ body.

In Shadowrun, on the other hand, the self-made criminal is a rare PC figure. In general, every adventure begins with meeting your client. If you're lucky, it ends the same way. You're being hired to do a job with a minimum of fuss and evidence left behind. If you're doing it properly, no one ever knew you were there, and dead bodies are a complication no one involved really wants. Most importantly, stopping to loot everything slows you down. When the stated goals include minimum disruption, stopping to loot the bodies is an unnecessary complication to getting the job done. Grabbing an obvious ammo magazine or two is probably fine, especially if you're getting low and it matches your weapon. By the same token, if you're in the CEO's office to kidnap him and he has a solid platinum paperweight on the desk, taking a free action to pocket that isn't too bad (although you'll probably have to melt it down and sell it for materials value). But if you're taking everything that isn't nailed down (and anything that can be pried up isn't nailed down), you're almost certainly putting the main job at risk for a smaller nuyen return than the job itself is worth.

Or, short version: In Shadowrun you're being paid, in D&D you're on your own time.
Kitsu
We have a standing house rule:

It's assumed that whenever the team has an opportunity while on a mission, they're doing light looting. They aren't taking anything of personal value to the guards or whomever (no wedding rings, etc), just things from the target but that aren't mission objectives. This accumulation of stuff just so happens to pay for whatever ammo and other consumables they happen to expend over the run, and it's also assumed that between runs they'll have a chance to restock supplies.

We're also running a limited-lethality game this time, and I didn't have to enforce it at all. We just had a discussion starting off to the effect of "The guys you're running against have massive, worldwide resources. Would you be happier if they could deny anything was wrong and run a quiet investigation, or if they started their investigation after news of three dozen dead security guards was all over the trid for a week?" Mission kill targets get cacked, but other than that, my team is all about the professional courtesy. twirl.gif
Penta
QUOTE (Kitsu @ Sep 24 2009, 08:53 PM) *
Mission kill targets get cacked, but other than that, my team is all about the professional courtesy. twirl.gif

So they're like lawyers and sharks?smile.gif
Deathmaster35
QUOTE (Twilights_Herald @ Sep 24 2009, 08:35 PM) *
In Shadowrun, on the other hand, the self-made criminal is a rare PC figure. In general, every adventure begins with meeting your client. If you're lucky, it ends the same way. You're being hired to do a job with a minimum of fuss and evidence left behind. If you're doing it properly, no one ever knew you were there, and dead bodies are a complication no one involved really wants.

That is one type of job... and that would probably be a rare type, where a johnson just needs a copy of something a rival corp is working on. I have been playing shadow run off and on for years with multiple GMs and only had maybe 1 or 2 runs where the point was to not have any evidence a run was done at the target.

As for bodies, if you notice there are far far more items in the game centered around killing than not killing. For the most part the more bodies the better when you are targeting a corp. If there are a lot of deaths from security that weakens the overall corp, afterall who wants to take up a security job where the position is open because the last crew was killed?
Corps probably wouldnt normally hire runners to just go waste security and leave, as that would encourge their rivals to do the same to them, but when there is another target at hand I dont think a johnson really cares if you kill every security guard in the place if you meet the mission objective.
Chrysalis
I still would ask the Shadowrunner what is he planning on doing with the body now that he has undressed it. Is there a particular fetish about undressing every one of them and stealing their clothes and other personal possessions?
Deathmaster35
QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Sep 24 2009, 08:29 PM) *
Chiming in with my two nuyen
..Several people have said that being a shadowrunner means being a person who is paid to kill people.
Uhm.. No.
A lot of shadowrunners, to my knowledge don't do wetwork, sure a firefight might come up, but theres a reason theres a specific term for a job that involves contract killing.

Wetwork is just one aspect of doing a job to kill someone. If you are sent on an extraction run you will probably have to kill people to get the target out, that just comes with the job. Waiting for security to drop from getting hit with narcoject is just a liability, it leaves you and your team open to return fire.
If you are sent on an extraction, a theft, a demolition, a sabotage or a distraction run the johnson probably expects you to kill a few people and the runners should expect it as well... you are being paid to do something that will involve the death or others.
Udoshi
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 24 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Easiest way to curb the car theft thing without taking even more time is to have all the buyers dry up meaning he can't offloaded his car. Alternatively pick soemthing he didn't do exactly right witha theft and have the authotheft detective come down on him, hard. Arrest him, have him sweat enough, have the detective release him due to lack of evidence but witht he clear notation he'll be watching for him in the future. The detective is of course on one of the major autheft rings int he cities payroll and they don't take jkinda to "independant contractors" if he doesn't get the hint step up the harassment.

If you're looking for a decent way to scare your player off of the 'loot all the cars' mentality, well, drop him a surprise next time. Is he awakened? If not, good. The setup goes something like this.
Mage: 'Well, I've parked my nice sedan in a bad part of town, but I neeed to be here to pick up some important things. It shouldn't be too long, but just in case... Here, fire spirit, watch this car. Warn anyone who approaches it, and fry them if they touch it.' And that's the car your thief just tried to steal.

Another way to curb this is to heavily enforce the availability and cost adjustment tables. Also contact-fencing(sr4a 287). Twenty percent each for stolen and used, and under investigation. "Hi, on-star? My car got stolen, can you look into it?" That kind of thing. If you enforce the idea that shadowrunning pays rather well compared to the alternatives, especially when you figure in time and effort, most players will get the drift, if you're trying to curb 'steal everything that isn't nailed down' behavior.
Mäx
QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Sep 25 2009, 05:26 AM) *
Wetwork is just one aspect of doing a job to kill someone. If you are sent on an extraction run you will probably have to kill people to get the target out, that just comes with the job. Waiting for security to drop from getting hit with narcoject is just a liability, it leaves you and your team open to return fire.
If you are sent on an extraction, a theft, a demolition, a sabotage or a distraction run the johnson probably expects you to kill a few people and the runners should expect it as well... you are being paid to do something that will involve the death or others.

No, thats what the stick&shcok rounds and stun balls are for, no need to kill anyone when you can stun them much easier.
It's very unprofessional to kill the whole security detail when you extract someone, unless thats what your specifically being payed to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012