Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [DDH] Dumpshock Data Haven Issue 1 Release Date
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bull
The server issues are giving us a real minor speedbump on getting Issue 1 posted, but barring catastrophic server issues, Issue 1 will be posted on Monday, October 5th!

I'll announce it here, and you can find it at http://datahaven.dumpshock.com smile.gif

And if you ask really nicely, maybe I'll post up a teaser or two wink.gif

Bull
Backgammon
Post a preview you motherfragging slitch!

Oh wait, you said nicely -

Post a preview you motherfragging slitch, please.
flext
I have been excited about this ever since I found out about it. Can't wait to see the final product!
wizwyrm
oooOOOOOOoooOooOOo

*drools*
Krypter
Pretty good stuff! Let the shadowfiles flow...
Jaid
so ummm... what's up, doc?

(when you said the 5th, did you mean 11:59 on the 5th, perhaps?)
the_real_elwood
It was discussed briefly on the Dumpshock IRC channel last night. Apparently someone producing the PDF was having some issues with their copy of Adobe Acrobat, and so the release of the first issue of DDH will likely be a little late. I didn't hear any mention of anything more specific than that. Still real excited about getting to see some community content out there, just gonna have to wait a bit for it now.
Bull
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Oct 5 2009, 06:55 PM) *
It was discussed briefly on the Dumpshock IRC channel last night. Apparently someone producing the PDF was having some issues with their copy of Adobe Acrobat, and so the release of the first issue of DDH will likely be a little late. I didn't hear any mention of anything more specific than that. Still real excited about getting to see some community content out there, just gonna have to wait a bit for it now.

*sigh* Yeah, been meaning to post something today.

Caine Hazen has encountered some "Technical Difficulties" in that his Adobe seems to no longer be working properly, and he was part way through the initial layout design. He spent most of the last few days uninstalling and reinstalling, playing with settings, and then finally attempting procure a newer copy of Adobe in the hopes he can get it working properly. So for the moment, we're kinda stuck frown.gif I'm gonna go bonk him in the head in a bit and see whats up.

In the meantime, I'm collecting submissions for Issue #2. I'm also going to try and get some Examples for the specific style Features posted to the website now that Chrome is back from vacation sometime in the near future so that people who are interested in submitting can possibly submit in the right format (Saves me either having them redo it, or redoing it myself smile.gif).

I'll let y'all know when I have something more.

Bull
Bull
It looks like it'll be a few days yet, so we're officially bumping release till Monday the 12th. frown.gif

As a I mentioned above, Submissions for Issue #2 are due the 11th smile.gif (We're gonna try and stay on track with Issue 2 so we can release on time).

Bull
Prime Mover
Been watching the site and wondered what happened, thanks for heads up.
Method
So... how 'bout them Seattle Screamers....
Caine Hazen
Ok, layout was coming along fine... until we discovered the curse of whitespace. I'm posting up another thread about this, because I don't want to release something 1/2assed. I'm going to be doing a spree of adverts to fill this damn thing out.

I apologize for getting all delayed up with this.. but not... it's looking really really awesome...

Another teaser to tide you all over warning,large file...
flext
Ahhhh too much suspense. I am way too excited to see this. I guess it's better to take your time and make it look shiny! smile.gif
Prime Mover
Edit: Looking forward to getting a look at it.
Bull
I've also been sick all weekend, hence why I've not been better about communicating everything frown.gif I'm crawling back to bed. We'll have the thing uploaded somewhere as soon as it's done.
Cheshyr
Feel better. Looking forward to it. smile.gif
Bull
According to Caine, we're at about 50% done with layout. Hopefully we'll have it finalized by Thursday (Damn "real Life" and stuff!).

On the upside, I have Issue 2 mostly filled out, and all but 2 of my drafts are in. Things are going to editing soon, so we're doing good for the next issue. And hopefully issue one will eat up most of our technical difficulties and growing pains. smile.gif

Bull
flext
Work out the kinks now Bull. The next ones have to be smooth then. nyahnyah.gif
Namelessjoe
its been like a week so i thought i'ld bumpthe thread and ask how issue 1 was coming along ? smile.gif
flext
There have been some serious hardware issue that have slowed things down. Everyone is working hard at getting the last bits done from what I hear.
Jhaiisiin
At this point we're trying to arrange redundant backup nodes to prevent further issues from Technomancer incursions.
Namelessjoe
ok cool thanks for the update hopefully your hardwere issues will smooth themselves out soon
the_real_elwood
Hardware issues this time? Man, I think some greater power really doesn't want to see the successful release of DDH magazine.
Cheshyr
Eh. It's the way of every 'first time'. It'll get better as time goes on... you can never be fully prepared for a product launch. Good luck guys. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out.
Lok1 :)
I confess, its me. I've been useing my Technomancer abiltys to prevent the realise. I thought it would be funny, now I'm going to hostage it untill hardcover SR4 corebooks start ariveing in the mail. I suggest you start pooling your money.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Oct 26 2009, 03:59 PM) *
I confess, its me. I've been useing my Technomancer abiltys to prevent the realise. I thought it would be funny, now I'm going to hostage it untill hardcover SR4 corebooks start ariveing in the mail. I suggest you start pooling your money.

Uhmmmmm...

OK, that's just SICK.

Funny as drek, but sick.

Would be even funnier if you were holding out for SR4A LE's...
Bull
Yeah, it's frustrating as hell. Basically, we underestimated the layout and design time, and then compound that with 2 major computer problems (One software, one hardware) that both took a week+ to fix.

I don't know when Issue 1 will be out right now. I'm hoping very soon, but it's out of my hands for the time being.

Once Issue 1 is done, though, that means a ton of ground work is finished. And it means we have example styles in place to show people. So as we go forward, we can start bringing in a couple more people to help balance the workload (and pick up the slack if something like this happens again). For the moment, it's all logjammed in one spot, which is the problem frown.gif

My apologies for the delays. :/

Bull
Caine Hazen
Bull andCo. here pretty much hit it. Technical difficulties aside, I threw the warning stipulation i that being the first time some of us are doing this, that we probably should go Catalyst style with the date (which we pretty much will from now on) However, as a highly ambitious project, Bull wanted dates set to push himself to get things done quickly. Generally it was assumed that the art/layout side would be ablt to follow suit in a 1 week timeframe. On the plus side, it enabled some artists to get some more done for the project. We've go more folks who have volunteerred, we've just ot to gt final templates out to them and keep stringing this together.

On the plus side, once weget through all of this, we'll have lots in the bag wink.gif And once the design templates have been set and finalized there shouldn't be much tweeking needed to be done from here on out. There were a few things we really didn't even anticipate from the art side... slow but good progress is being mde daily though. We'll let you know when its complete. If most of you are half as excited as Bull has been with what he's seen I think we'll have something really good for you all!
Fezig
Wait a minute, you are telling me that the free product that you guys are putting out because you love the game/system and want to do a service to it and its fan base is going to be late? I PAID ZERO DOLLARS FOR THIS! HOW DARE YOU!

In all seriousness, its just awesome that y'all had the cajones to start something like this. Can't wait to see the finished product cyber.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Fezig @ Oct 26 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Wait a minute, you are telling me that the free product that you guys are putting out because you love the game/system and want to do a service to it and its fan base is going to be late? I PAID ZERO DOLLARS FOR THIS! HOW DARE YOU!

You're right. Send me your email address, and I'll issue you a refund right away. Plus a coupon for half off our next issue. smile.gif

In all seriousness, its just awesome that y'all had the cajones to start something like this. Can't wait to see the finished product cyber.gif

Some days, I'm rethinking this whole "Hey, lets make a new magazine" idea wink.gif

I'm just glad we've been able to round up some authors and artists, and that there's a lot of really good stuff we've gotten so far. This would probably be kinda sucky if I had to write and illustrate the whole thing wink.gif

Bull

flext
I'm going to be that annoying guy and bring up an old thread. Just curious if you guys are still plugging away. Don't need details I just don't want it to fade from people's minds. grinbig.gif
Bull
I'll poke Caine and see if he can give you an update. Right now, I can tell you the writing is done and edited, the art is in. We've been dealing with a couple different flavors of hardware and software malfunctions, and I believe that right now Caine (Who is the Art Director for the project) has stuff bouncing between a couple folks getting the page design and layout tweaked.

Since we're already late, we're taking a bit of extra time to figure out exactly what we're doing, and rethinking some of our job assignments and the like. The actual layout process is a much slower process than we'd anticipated, and since we were doing all the page and background design (You know, all the fancy boarders, the sidebars, and other fun stuff that keeps it from looking like a high school english paper) at the same time we're doing the actual layout, it's impossible to just pass work off to someone else. Right now. For issue 2, this will be much less of an issue, and by issue 3, it should be pretty smooth and painless, provided we have a handful of people that can handle doing it.

THe delay is killing me, and Caine's had to almost physically restrain me from whipping up and releeasing a "Down and Dirty" bare bones PDF. smile.gif I hate that we missed our deadline, and I hate that I still don't have anything solid to give folks. frown.gif

Plus it's bumped issue 2 back. The majority of that is done, but we're looking at some of the logistics (We ended up with a LOT of material for a couple articles) as well as the realities of layout and page counts (Yes, page count doesn't really matter that much when you're talking pure PDF, but it still factors into how much work we need to put into making it clean and shiny). We're at the art stage, but since Caine's tied up on issue 1 still, I've put Issue 2 on "pause" till we get that sorted out.

hopefully this will all be worth the wait when all is said and done!

Bull
Warlordtheft
Bump.
Prime Mover
How's it goin?
Ice Hammer
I, too, would like to see an update on this. Is this project still moving forward? Or has it been abandoned due to all the technical glitches and RL issues that seem to be plaguing this? I've been keeping an eye on the facebook site, but I haven't sen anything for a while now.
Bull
It's still moving forward, it's just currently moving at a snails pace. I don't really have a concrete update at the moment though.
Warlordtheft
January 1st?? You can work New Years. smile.gif
Cheshyr
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 3 2009, 02:57 AM) *
It's still moving forward, it's just currently moving at a snails pace. I don't really have a concrete update at the moment though.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. I'm certain there's quite a pile of talent willing to contribute. I know I'd be willing to throw some time and tech at it, if it would help.
Bull
It's not the contributions that's really the problem right now. It's bogged down in layout and production, and unfortunately, out of my hands for the moment. I will hopefully have some updates and some forward movement in the next week or two.

Bull
Jaid
so where are you with this now, out of curiosity?
Method
The DDH Facebook page has semi-frequent updates...
Prime Mover
Sounds like problem after problem has plagued them but there in the home stretch from sounds of it.
ravensmuse
I'm looking forward to seeing the final copy. I know I saw the stuff they attached to my contribution, and I loved it, so...
Prime Mover
I see from posts here on Dumpshock that this project is still alive and in some stage of completion under new management.
What I'm curious about is the DDH website, is anyone looking after it, planning on updating it? Release date still slatted for Oct 12th and no mention of current status anywhere. Was just curious if whoever (Chrome Tiger?) is working on the issue is also going to take over website?
Caine Hazen
Chrome has managed the web site since day 1 of DSDH; that I know of, he hasn't sent out the final proofing w/layout, and so maybe he's hanging on to a release date until then
Prime Mover
So let me see if I got this right, after reading Facebook page. This has been done for days and theres an issue with getting it posted up.
So this project can officially be considered cursed right? LoL
The Dragon Girl
hehe, kinda
Adam
Whattya know? Not announcing dates for free fan projects is as good an idea as it is for full publishers... wink.gif
Platinum
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 13 2010, 02:58 PM) *
Whattya know? Not announcing dates for free fan projects is as good an idea as it is for full publishers... wink.gif

It's not a good idea at all. If there isn't a deadline then there is never a sense of urgency and things just slide and slide and slide. ie SoLA, holostreets, Duke Nuken forever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012