Pages: 1, 2, 3
Adam
Difference between internal and external deadlines. smile.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jun 13 2010, 10:27 PM) *
SoLA, holostreets

*sssshhhh*!
Salt and wounds and all that ^^
Also, SoLA has been more or less completely released for free by our favourite ex-freelancers by now i guess.
hermit
Duke Nuken forever

It would have been a grand game, though.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 14 2010, 11:59 AM) *
It would have been a grand game, though.

You hear the newest rumors about the Duke in regards to E3 yet? *snickers*
Cardul
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 14 2010, 05:50 AM) *
You hear the newest rumors about the Duke in regards to E3 yet? *snickers*

Can you link them, please, Stahl?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jun 14 2010, 01:04 PM) *
Can you link them, please, Stahl?

'ere we go! 'ere we go!
http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/80364/r...-nukem-forever/
Prime Mover
Wrapped for over a month and still can't get it posted? (According to post on Datahaven's facebook page.)
Prime Mover
Another posted release date come and gone. Will soon be the one year anniversary of original release date.
A lesson in not posting release dates or an excuse to create rules for a new drinking game? Hmmm
Crimson
Whatever happened to this? I frequent the web page often and even pondered submitting some of my home brew stuff, after polishing it up of course. Got excited when I saw this bumped. frown.gif

Did it just die a year ago or is it somehow still in the works? And if it was finished and never released then that's just depressing.
Method
Just depressing. frown.gif
Prime Mover
Work on the site changed hands and theres been a complete rework of the site from what I understand. Actual issue been done for awhile now. Think its just the site thats being polished up.
Bull
Yup. The original Layout guy just didn't have the time to finish it due to work commitments, so we pushed it back a couple times to allow for that. We had a couple of offers to step in, and when I took over as Missions Coordinator and realized I wasn't going to have the time to continue the project anymore either, we decided to hand it over to someone else to finish and release.

I'm a bit out of the loop now, sadly, so I'm not certain what the status is at the moment frown.gif

Bull
Prime Mover
Any chance any of the material will be released? I know at one time Bull considered releasing a rough version.
Who is in control of it now? They need help? Looking to pass it off on someone else?
ravensmuse
At this point I'm willing to just release the couple of things I wrote for it. Sorry Bull, but I'd rather just have it out there, y'know?

Nothing super exciting to give away, mind you - just some harmless entertainment stuff - but at this point, unless there's a boffo release, no one is going to care...

And I apologize for everyone running to check this thread to see if DDH finally came out - I have that same feeling every time I see this topic bumped biggrin.gif
Prime Mover
I thought at one point a few months ago there was a completed rough draft. Does that still exist or is the whole thing lost in limbo?
Synner667
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Sep 16 2010, 07:48 PM) *
I thought at one point a few months ago there was a completed rough draft. Does that still exist or is the whole thing lost in limbo?

Who cares ??

People who wasted their time and effort waiting for this to get done should just post their material...
...Or if the material is actually ready, why not send it to me and I'll compile everything into a PDF for dpwnload.
Caine Hazen
There was a proof I floated to a few folks out there after my first few days of doing layout... just to get opinions and see if anyone had ideas for the whitespace.

I'll pop it up here for you all to see! PDF ahead

I think most of my stuff I did was going to be pulled anyway, but I can't find out, since the current project lead doesn't answer anything I send them. It kinda sucks; I wish I had more time to have worked on things.
tete
edit

So are there any plans to start this up again? I have Acrobat Standard and I'm willing to help.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Sep 16 2010, 03:54 PM) *
There was a proof I floated to a few folks out there after my first few days of doing layout... just to get opinions and see if anyone had ideas for the whitespace.

I'll pop it up here for you all to see! PDF ahead

I think most of my stuff I did was going to be pulled anyway, but I can't find out, since the current project lead doesn't answer anything I send them. It kinda sucks; I wish I had more time to have worked on things.

Between this and the art teasers from way back when It's a shame this failed to launch.
Stahlseele
is it just me or does anybody else have problems with scrolling through that file?
i can't jsut hold down the down arrow key to scroll down, i have to repeatedly push the damn key to get some stocky scrolling for some reason . .
Prime Mover
Working ok for me.
Bull
Let me see what I can do.
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 16 2010, 04:15 PM) *
is it just me or does anybody else have problems with scrolling through that file?
i can't jsut hold down the down arrow key to scroll down, i have to repeatedly push the damn key to get some stocky scrolling for some reason . .

What client are you using to view it? Just wondering, as again, it was just a test proof for our editors (aka Bull)
Stahlseele
Acrobat Reader.
Opened from Firefox.
Windows Vista 64
Caine Hazen
Odd... exactly what I used to check it when I posted it up... Maybe I'll load up CS suite agan this weekend ad see if Ican't recompile it and improve it a bit. Assuming I don't just sleep throguh the weekend.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 17 2010, 08:29 AM) *
Acrobat Reader.
Opened from Firefox.
Windows Vista 64

This is a bug that happens if you start scrolling before the whole file is downloaded. Try "saving as" and then opening.

BlueMax
Stahlseele
Ah, thanks ^^
ravensmuse
All right, I said something, so I guess I'll actually post something.

...so I just realized that I posted a half complete document that came up in my first search of my email. Mea culpa. That's why it looked so rough and then cut off right when we got past the steampunk stuff. Again: mea culpa.

Some notes:

Yes, I know, steampunk. I took that one reference in 4A and ran with it. I think I came up with something unique and interesting, and I'm certainly proud of what I've written, so if you have a problem with me sneaking the genre into Shadowrun, tough cookies.

I really am proud of this; I think its one of the best gaming things I've ever written. I'm most proud of the 'Nettefreaqs and the Guild of Prehistorical Re-enactors; I really wish I'd had the opportunity to expand on Madame Marie and, c'mon, geek sports teams! What's there not to love? "Bloody Mad Marie is to music what Urban Brawl is to cities" still cracks me up, as does the idea of her showing up to an award show in a bloody Urban Brawl uniform.

There's some mechanical (ha ha) stuff in here; the asteriks are supposed to represent the cost in Resources. And I'm not claiming that any of said mechanical stuff is balanced; I was leaving that for my editors, who would be better able to eyeball that stuff than I.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

Behind a spoiler because OMGHUGE:

[ Spoiler ]
Bull
I'm experimenting with some stuff and doing some massive format editing. Wish me luck. It's gonna be ugly as sin, but... I want to finally release this thing.

You know, I said back then it would be October... I don't know that I ever stated a year... wink.gif
Bull
Very, very rough cut. THis is what happens when you have a completely non-artistic writer do layout, espeically when all he's got to work with is MS Word 2003 and a freebie PDF converter he found online. Don't blame me for how it looks.

http://bull.dumpshock.com/DDH_Issue_1.pdf

I may have a cleaner, nicer version in a day or two. And this is just to hold you over till Chrome gets the real version done wink.gif

Bull
Dumori
Don't thinks get done quick when you just do it and stop fretting? It's a fan webzine looks come second to content.
Prime Mover
Thanks Bull , great to finally see this regardless of "bells and whistles".
Caine Hazen
yeah, like the "real" version will get done...

It would be nice if it could come together finally; but since I doubt it'll ever happen... meh. Sorry we couldn't get timely about the whole thing, there was some really good stuff there. I just think we've all reached a point where there's too much "real life" that gets in the way of doing something like this. Unfortunately, the new generation doesn't care enough to pick up something like this and run with it. It sucks, but it seems like that over more and more communities.

We're all old and shit wink.gif, sorry to have dropped the ball on this.
Bull
QUOTE (Dumori @ Sep 18 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Don't thinks get done quick when you just do it and stop fretting? It's a fan webzine looks come second to content.

I had been tempted to do something like this on many, many occasions. But free time has not been my friend since I got involved with the Missions program.

We had a couple stated goals when we started this project. One was quality Writing, one was making sure our work was edited, and the last was that we would have a highly polished and professional looking end product. This was originally a joint porject between myself and Caine Hazen, and my side was text, his was the art and layout.

Really, there's no excuse other than to state this was a pretty sizable project to do. My end result PDF was 43 pages of material, and I spent over 5 hours working to organize, format, and layout the text for it. I'm still not happy with how it looks, and the "ROugh Cut" that I released is so far from what we envisioned at the start that it almost makes me cry. But, still... I'm proud of what I got done. I have no skill at layout, so the fact that I put it together in a readable fashion is a "win" in my book, but still...

ANyway, I hope you all enjoy it. It was the product of a lot of hard work by a lot of very talented writers and artists, and I'm glad that I could finally post their work so everyone can see it.

Bull
Bull
Also, Ravenmuse? Nice stuff. smile.gif

I really wish we'd have been able to do more with your stuff... That's an area that Shadowrun's badly under-represented in, and it's so important to the game world, as it effects the look and style of the game so much. *sigh*

Bull
Dumori
I know the work you have to put in to stuff like this. Some time you have to ask your self is polish worth it or should the core juicy bita be put out there for all to enjoy. In a lot of cases a badly layed out mag beats the well layed out one that no one sees. Has annoying as it is to not quite have it right.
Method
Well, we may not have achieved the high aspirations we started with, but this is still an accomplishment.

We should sticky an announcement...
Bull
Go for it. The more people that see it, the better. smile.gif
Neurosis
Have downloaded it, am reading now. Definitely agree with the choice to get this out rather than waiting for it to be perfect.

Edit the First: Art quality is pretty erratic.

Edit the Second: Bull's stats are significantly better than the stats I gave Dodger and/or Ronin for their cameos in my campaign. One of us needs to recalibrate our understanding of power levels. : /

Edit the Third: Articles should have by-lines. I know your resources are limited in terms of the layout but that seems simple enough to do.

Edit 4A: I like the contacts and I like that they can actually do things. My teams often need to hire extra muscle to fill out gaps in their capabilities. I'd love to see the kind of rates these guys would quote for actually going on Shadowruns. Also, at a glance, the power level of the stats seem much less screwy than the ones for Bull.

Edit 5: Would like to see a bit more difference in the "dueling" reviews. They're so close to agreement I question the point of having two of them.

Edit 6: WOW this interview is a year old.

Edit Last: Okay, am done. This was an interesting read. I kind of skipped around a bit--I've got more use for the crunch than the fluff, and it's easier to skim--but I definitely saw some things I can use. So, thanks.

I'd ask "When's the next issue coming out" but uh, yeah. Sounds like you still have some work cut out for you with this one. : )
Jaid
- everyone has different opinions on what is an appropriate power level for their own game. the answer to the question of "which one is right" is actually "all of them".

- how much money is appropriate to pay these contacts for their services is likewise largely dependent on who's game it is. some people get paid 50k nuyen and think they're getting shortchanged, some people get paid 5k a run and think it's a huge payday, and some people think that's about average. if i play in a home game where runs pay 30-50k (to each person on the team), then calling up someone to join you on the run should probably cost everyone 5-10k (enough so that the new hire is getting roughly comparable pay) if the person is going to be along for the whole run (or perhaps the most dangerous part of it), whereas in groups where lower payouts are expected you might be able to just pay a couple thousand nuyen or even less. there isn't really any established baseline when it comes to how much cash people should have, so there isn't really any fair way to list rates for hiring some extra help.

- the point is that you get two people's opinions. if two people say the same thing about something, it's much more likely you will agree. potentially, if you were to see them each review 20 products, you might find they often have wildly different opinions, and so when they both find something they like, you might be able to identify it as being something you will likely approve of. alternately, you may find yourself agreeing with one more than the other. remember, this wasn't intended to be a one-shot deal. the intent was to produce a new issue every so often. just because the review of that one product tended to agree doesn't mean that all of their reviews will.
Neurosis
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 18 2010, 04:55 PM) *
- everyone has different opinions on what is an appropriate power level for their own game. the answer to the question of "which one is right" is actually "all of them".

- how much money is appropriate to pay these contacts for their services is likewise largely dependent on who's game it is. some people get paid 50k nuyen and think they're getting shortchanged, some people get paid 5k a run and think it's a huge payday, and some people think that's about average. if i play in a home game where runs pay 30-50k (to each person on the team), then calling up someone to join you on the run should probably cost everyone 5-10k (enough so that the new hire is getting roughly comparable pay) if the person is going to be along for the whole run (or perhaps the most dangerous part of it), whereas in groups where lower payouts are expected you might be able to just pay a couple thousand nuyen or even less. there isn't really any established baseline when it comes to how much cash people should have, so there isn't really any fair way to list rates for hiring some extra help.

- the point is that you get two people's opinions. if two people say the same thing about something, it's much more likely you will agree. potentially, if you were to see them each review 20 products, you might find they often have wildly different opinions, and so when they both find something they like, you might be able to identify it as being something you will likely approve of. alternately, you may find yourself agreeing with one more than the other. remember, this wasn't intended to be a one-shot deal. the intent was to produce a new issue every so often. just because the review of that one product tended to agree doesn't mean that all of their reviews will.

- I think it's one of those things that's not entirely absolute and not entirely relative. Let me put it this way: I certainly allow a lot of leeway for character power and don't think there's any one right way to stat characters, but I think the game in which Bull's stats as given would be considered "appropriate" would be a very silly game.

- That makes sense from a gamist standpoint but not from a stimulationist standpoint. Realistically, those characters should not care how much money you have when quoting their rates. For the same reason that PC Shadowrunners aren't expected to do a run for four hundred nuyen to the team because it's "all Mr. Johnson can afford". On a game balance level, I agree with you 100%. Also, Loyalty rating is obviously a factor.

- Fair enough.
deek
43 pages worth of goodness. I can't feel anything but good about that, no matter how late it was coming out! Good job to everyone and I agree, there is a lot of useful stuff there.
Neurosis
Yes, I am pretty happy with the level of content. It would be great to have this coming out every month or even every quarter. (Which is putting the cart well ahead of the horse, I know.)
ravensmuse
Ha, thanks Bull. I know; when I posted that and read over it quick, I was like, "man! There's so much more I could have put out!" Maybe if people want to continue to do rough shots like this, we can get it to a point where it's what we wanted in the first place. We shouldn't give up!

Also, I meant to mention that you can see where I'm laying out ideas for later issues, like the Japanese Fashion Wall, New York Fashion Week, that sort of thing. Was pleased and surprised when I read it over. If people are interested, I'm still interested in writing the material - it's just going to have to take a backseat to novel, web novel, and 4e D&D material first wink.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 18 2010, 05:11 PM) *
Yes, I am pretty happy with the level of content. It would be great to have this coming out every month or even every quarter. (Which is putting the cart well ahead of the horse, I know.)

The original idea was quarterly, though I was hoping to eventually step it up to bi-monthly.

AT this point though, my free time is pretty well eaten up with my Missions work, Andy doesn't have the time to do the art and layout he'd been planning to do, so we'd given it to ChromeTiger. I know he's been bashing at it off and on, but effectivly the project was out of our hands as of 6 months ago. I just wanted to get the basics released before we hit a full year late. smile.gif

As for Bull's stats, they're actually toned down and pretty limited by the SR4 rules. Bull was somewhere in the 700 Karma range, mostly from SR2 and some SR3. We played that game for over 6 years, with the first 2-3 years playing pretty much 3+ times a week. I translated him across as well as I could (And keep in mind that 700 SR2 Karma likely translates into about 1400 SR4A Karma smile.gif) He's a bit over the top, but hey... Sometimes you need over the top. smile.gif

Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed it. Issue 2 and beyond is out of my hands at this point, which is a shame, as the little we'd done for it was looking pretty cool.

Bull
Method
Who knows, maybe this will spark some renewed interest and get the ball rolling again. I think its safe to say that one thing we learned over the last year is that content is a lot easier to generate than art and layout. But with all the people around here, somebody has to have the skills, time and resources (mostly software) required to do layout. We just need that person to volunteer... wink.gif

There are a few things that could be done to streamline the layout process. For example, I noticed that the backgrounds are different for each article in the proof. While it may be less flashy, picking one background for a whole issue would be quicker. Eventually after we've cranked out a few issues we'd have a selection of backgrounds and could start mixing and matching.

Anyway, it would be nice to see this go somewhere. Who cares if its been a year? Isn't now as good a time as any?
Neurosis
As for Bull's stats, they're actually toned down and pretty limited by the SR4 rules. Bull was somewhere in the 700 Karma range, mostly from SR2 and some SR3. We played that game for over 6 years, with the first 2-3 years playing pretty much 3+ times a week. I translated him across as well as I could (And keep in mind that 700 SR2 Karma likely translates into about 1400 SR4A Karma smile.gif) He's a bit over the top, but hey... Sometimes you need over the top. smile.gif

I guess it's mainly that I have never played in any SR game which had NPCs or (especially) PCs at that power level. Considering the longevity of that character...yeah, it makes sense.
flext
Thank you so much for the release! I have been waiting for some time to get a good look at it. I wish things would pull together, but it seems like that is unlikely... Makes me wish I had some ability to do layout.

Also, on a side note. The content looks great right now. I have been reading through it and so far love the fiction. It really makes me self conscious reading all that stuff and then seeing my one little page there... Awesome work guys. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Also about the formatting. I am reading it on my nook and it formats really nice on there. The lack of fancy formatting works for me smile.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 18 2010, 05:02 PM) *
- That makes sense from a gamist standpoint but not from a stimulationist standpoint. Realistically, those characters should not care how much money you have when quoting their rates. For the same reason that PC Shadowrunners aren't expected to do a run for four hundred nuyen to the team because it's "all Mr. Johnson can afford". On a game balance level, I agree with you 100%. Also, Loyalty rating is obviously a factor.

allow me to clarify. in the game that i am playing in, the typical pay for a runner of a given calibre might be 5,000 credits for an average run (for the sake of argument, we'll call an average run to be a run taking place over a single day with a full week's worth of notice).

in your game, the typical pay for a runner of that same calibre for a similar run might be half that, double that, 10 times that, one-tenth of that, or anywhere in-between or beyond in either direction, because there is no official published standard pay rate list that i am aware of so it's entirely based on what your group feels is appropriate.

so, in my home games, the appropriate price for such a runner to be hired for a run that you've already planned etc might be, say, 3,000-4,000 nuyen (since he didn't have to spend the week leading up to it getting the info etc, he wouldn't get paid as much, but since the most dangerous night is the night of the run he wouldn't get only 1/7th or anything near that low). but let's suppose in *your* home games, the runners typically get paid 10 times what they get paid in my home games. if i were to submit something to the editors, and list the price to hire a runner as being 3 to 4 thousand nuyen, and they publish that, well in your games you'll be able to hire a small army of shadowrunners to go with you, or even instead of you, and you could pocket half your paycheck without even doing anything.

now multiply that problem by the number of potential readers for the DDH... whatever value you assign to it, it's probably going to be wildly inaccurate for more people than it will be accurate for. and now multiply it by the number of people who might submit those NPCs as runners-for-hire. it's something that the editors could not possibly balance for everyone's game, so it looks like they just removed it.
Saint Sithney
If you want a list of spelling and editing type things, let me know.

For now, I'll just list out the ones in the Black Market section, since that looks like the heaviest place.

"Whether it comes" in the intro should be "Whether it came," in order to keep tenses straight.

"Ares has been giving all their weapons accessories a facelift and a big marketing push, and a lot more of these are showing up both on the streets and in the hands of security forces." is a touch run-on.
Perhaps, "Ares has been giving their whole weapon accessory line a facelift and major marketing push, and it shows. Both the streets and the unaffiliated sec-forces have been stocking up."

"You might not always need to toss HE rounds around, but the ability to have the odd Stick'n'Shock or Smoke round no farther than a thought away in a firefight ups your survivability" Naturally this should be grenades not rounds.
So, "You might not need to toss HE grenades around all the time, so the ability to lock in a Flash-bang or Smoke 'nade, but be able to switch to heavy ordinance with a thought both increases utility and could save your bacon."

"2 of the things misfired in the barrel due, one due to warping, the other to a stress fracture." a little repetition here.
"two of the things misfired in the barrel, one due to warping, the other to stress fracture."

"he UB-12 gives" should be..
"The UB-12 gives"

"Do yourself a favor if you get one of these.
Replace the Gel Packs regularly. I ran a couple times
with this sammy who had gotten a cyberskull at some
point, and apparently his olfactory sensors weren’t
hooked up right." light editing, and a trimming.

"Do yourself a favor, if you get one of these,
replace the Gel Packs regularly. I ran a couple times
with this cyber-sammy who apparently didn't have
his olfactory sensors hooked up right."

"Incredibly fast and
maneuverable, high armor and durability, the ability to
mount heavy weaponry, and comes standard with a
suite of high-end Autosoft programs."
dood-a-lee-doo
"Incredibly fast and
maneuverable, with high armor and durability, the ability to
mount heavy weaponry, and it comes standard with a
suite of high-end Autosoft programs."

"I’m not the least big surprised that a corp that
makes billions off of kids programming like “Tammy
the Talking Tiger” and constantly spins out drek about
how they’re “community oriented” and everything is
sunshine and roses." bit of a jumble there.

"I’m not the least bit surprised that a corp, which
makes billions off of kids programming like “Tammy
the Talking Tiger” and constantly spins out drek about
how they’re “community oriented” and everything, isn't
nearly all sunshine and roses."

"A sleek sexy body of my own and I can fly fast,
low, and the look on people’s faces when you buzz
them is priceless!!" nother jumble

"Oh yeah! A sleek, sexy body of my own that I
can fly fast and low, and the look on people’s faces
when you buzz them is priceless!!"

"Full Body Armor with patches
containing FAB Strain III suspended"
should read
"Full Body Armor with patches
containing FAB Strain II suspended"

There's a disagreement on the FAB2G armor and packs as to whether it should be 4 weeks or a month. Might as well make it the month so it can be tucked in with the rent.

"Targeting Sutosoft" -> "Targeting Autosoft" natch

That's all I could remember from the read-through. Hope it helps! smile.gif
Good stuff, BTW. Gratz to all involved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012