Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sympathy for the Devil.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Karoline
Well, technically device rating is an entirely separate thing from normal rating, but I'm okay with them being dropped to 3 (As I would have exactly 0 weapons otherwise since weapon mount is way too high availability).

I would love to have them as DR 4, but if milk wants to stick them at 3, that is cool too.
cndblank
Maybe she bought them used (70%) and the device rating is 3 now because they are so far behind the SOTA.

That way it makes sense she has to pay to upgrade them and she wouldn't have to pay for it twice.

QUOTE (milk ducks @ Oct 19 2009, 05:33 PM) *
Yeah, it's in the Fourth Edition FAQ:

Do all drones come equipped with an average Device rating of 3 (as per the Sample Devices table on p. 214, SR4) or does the Steel Lynx (for example) classify as a "security vehicle" and have a Device rating of 4?

Any drone that comes equipped with weapon mounts should be considered a security vehicle, and given a Device rating of 4. These built-in Device ratings are meant to serve as a guideline, however, so the gamemaster should feel free to modify them as appropriate. Likewise, a drone's Firewall, Response, Signal, and System ratings may be individually be modified, improved (or reduced) at the discretion of the gamemaster or the character that owns the device.

So it's Rating 4 by default, but as Method pointed out, my rules for this game limit characters to Rating 3 devices unless approved by me, so we'll just drop 'em down a notch.

-milk.
cndblank
We could put a place holder in for the Taco meet start a thread for that.

Then combine it and drop it in to the main thread.

We already have the plan, but it would be a good way to introduce the characters.

We just need to pick which one we actually eat at (for those that are there for the food).
Karoline
Too tired to post tonight. No promise that I'll have time in the morning either. May not post till tomorrow afternoon.
cndblank
Shared Software pool.

Rev will put up
600 Empathy Sensor Software R3 A6 AR 61
600 Lie Detection Sensor Software R3 A6 AR 61
Marwynn
Sam has Rating 3 Empathy Software too, as well as a nifty little disguised sensor for its use.

If anyone wants to borrow it for the meet, let Sam know.
Thanee
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 20 2009, 02:32 AM) *
Maybe she bought them used (70%) and the device rating is 3 now because they are so far behind the SOTA.

That way it makes sense she has to pay to upgrade them and she wouldn't have to pay for it twice.

I think that's a pretty good idea. So you can both have armed drones now, and get 'better' ones later, when you buy new drones. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 20 2009, 02:51 AM) *
We could put a place holder in for the Taco meet start a thread for that.

Or just continue posting until we get there? grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee
Karoline
Heh, well, I'd be real happy to go with the 70% discount idea. I'd have to figure out what to do with the bit of extra money that'd net me, but that wouldn't be too big a problem wink.gif
DigitalOYABUN
Which place did we decide on? and, is it our usual place to meet? Reason I ask is if regulars we'd be familiar with the staff and such.
Karoline
QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 20 2009, 11:38 AM) *
Which place did we decide on? and, is it our usual place to meet? Reason I ask is if regulars we'd be familiar with the staff and such.

We decided on the topless bar right? nyahnyah.gif

I don't think we ever settled on one place or the other actually.
cndblank
I vote for either

"Paco's Tacos" Taco stand popular with low riders and other car enthusiats for its large parking lot. Open 24 hours aday, but a rough place past midnight.

<< unless you're sporting Brown clothes...or skin.>>

"The Corner Carnisatas" *Restaurant, general store, and butcher. Yes, one of the rare butchershops still around in a time of soybeans and krill.

<<Ever wonder where the meat comes from? Food for thought>>
Karoline
I vote for "Paco's Tacos" because I don't know that Gwen can afford Carnistas.
Marwynn
Paco's Tacos sounds about right for us.
cndblank
Since Sam and Nest-O turned us on to the best tacos in P Town, I'll assume we have been seen there enough with them to not be remarked on by the Homeboys (at least in the who is that stranger way).

Gwen you talking your bike?

If so Rev check to make sure we are not flying any colors and take the back route over to avoid the local go gangers unless they are Ancients.

Note, that she doesn't look anything like she used to so most Ancients only know her as an associate.
Karoline
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 20 2009, 02:41 PM) *
Gwen you talking your bike?

Yep, only transport I have with me after all wink.gif
DigitalOYABUN
I couldnt resist the tea comment...I did try
Thanee
As for knowing the juju, I actually think that we all have been there at least once if not more often, already, considering, that this won't be first job from Hideki to us and he operates from there. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
milk ducks
Great posts, everyone. I get off early from work tonight, and I should have enough time to read through this whole thing again and toss up some posts.

-milk.
Thanee
Any comment on our knowledge of the Bad JuJu Lounge? Could be useful to get a definitive answer to that question. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
cndblank
Naw Rev went with Gwen. I figured she pulled in first and Rev was right behind her.

Unless she is racing she likes riding with some one.

And it is good to not travel alone especially this near the barrens.
cndblank
Does Paco's Tacos have sit down or is it more of a drive up like a Sonic?

I figured we could all pile in to Nest-O's sedan wink.gif
Karoline
I'll modify my post when I get a bit of time then.
DigitalOYABUN
I envisioned it like Sonics, with stalls and some outside tables in the front.

You're welcome inside but mind the leather seats homes grinbig.gif
milk ducks
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 21 2009, 09:41 AM) *
Any comment on our knowledge of the Bad JuJu Lounge? Could be useful to get a definitive answer to that question. smile.gif

Yeah, I'd imagine you've been there before; it's where Matsu Hideki operates, like you said. I'll have to elaborate when I get home from work. I'm just heading out the door now.

-milk.
Thanee
cndblank, I would actually not quote posts you refer to (unless it's really necessary; mostly because the post is a bit older).
It doesn't really make the thread better readable that way. Just include in the description, whom you are addressing, to make it clear (if you think it isn't).

Bye
Thanee
Method
I concur. And I'll suggest again not using signatures. They just take up space and clutter the threads. Plus we have multiple color schemes going on. I don't mean to be a stickler or to ruin anyone fun but it would be helpful if we were all on the same page.
Thanee
I always use QuickReply, and always forget to uncheck Signature, so I always have to go back and edit... ok, eventually, I will remember in time, I guess. grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee
Karoline
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 21 2009, 01:16 PM) *
I always use QuickReply, and always forget to uncheck Signature, so I always have to go back and edit... ok, eventually, I will remember in time, I guess. grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee

Yeah, I do the exact same thing. Went through and did the sig thing on my posts a little while ago.
cndblank
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 21 2009, 10:53 AM) *
cndblank, I would actually not quote posts you refer to (unless it's really necessary; mostly because the post is a bit older).
It doesn't really make the thread better readable that way. Just include in the description, whom you are addressing, to make it clear (if you think it isn't).

Bye
Thanee

OK

That was sort of the case here since the last post I had posted Rev arriving at the Taco Stand and I was replying to something Gwen said at Rev's Crib.

Method
Nice post milk ducks. Thats the kinda grit I'm looking forward too. Happy taco fun time. --> People are willing to kill you for that taco. FTW.
Karoline
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 21 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Nice post milk ducks. Thats the kinda grit I'm looking forward too. Happy taco fun time. --> People are willing to kill you for that taco. FTW.

I'm glad Gwen is with people who do have weapons and know how to use them properly.
Marwynn
Ahh. Grit. Smell that sweet, toxic, downtrodden, grit.

So Sam's staying in the car? I thought the plan was that Sam and Kid were gonna stay inside, not go to the meet per se but be there as immediate cover. I hope your guns that you want to leave on either of them have concealable holsters.
DigitalOYABUN
I was just throwing out a 'what happened last time Sam stayed in the car while NestO was out somewhere.' type thing is all

All fluff really
DigitalOYABUN
Its pretty obvious he stole the chip to you guys.
milk ducks
If I could give you bonus Karma for using Motorhead lyrics, I totally would.

-milk.
cndblank
QUOTE (milk ducks @ Oct 21 2009, 09:13 PM) *
If I could give you bonus Karma for using Motorhead lyrics, I totally would.

-milk.

Don't let us stop you.
Marwynn
By "those guys" Sam means 'Matsu Hideki' himself, japanese in general, not necessarily just Johnsons in general.
cndblank
Do we have access to Freeware/open source software/active skillsofts/Know Soft?

If so then at what rating?

Thanks
Marwynn
I guess we can download them after a decent Data Search. Up to milk to limit which and at what ratings.
Thanee
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 22 2009, 12:58 AM) *
That was sort of the case here since the last post I had posted Rev arriving at the Taco Stand and I was replying to something Gwen said at Rev's Crib.

Yep, I was mostly refering to post #32, since it is pretty much right below the post you quoted. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
milk ducks
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 22 2009, 12:27 AM) *
Do we have access to Freeware/open source software/active skillsofts/Know Soft?

If so then at what rating?

If you're certain you want ad-supported, trial-version freeware that's likely bypassed any and all means of quality assurance in literal control of your thoughts and actions, we can probably work something out. It might take some time to get ahold of freeware like that, even if the quality is drekky; I'll require an availability test (Logic + Data Search, Threshold equal to the desired Rating, Interval based on price) in order to track down something workable.

If that's something you're interested in (and understand that, depending on the Availability Interval, it may take a couple days to track down a decent program), I'd like to roll and keep the results to myself; a glitch could bring about all sorts of interesting things.

-milk.
cndblank
Your game your call.

But what Rev wants the stuff the Penguin Open Source guys have been going over with a fine tooth comb for years.

The stuff that fell in to public domain twenty years ago. Even if it never fell in to public domain the skill chips are still out there. So she goes online and buys some decade old skill softs, language softs, and knowsofts.

And don't tell me that in twenty years a hacker somewhere didn't come up with an emulator program so that you could run Fuchi skillsofts on Mitsahuma skill wires. You know that no matter what format they put them in, some one would jailbreak it.

I mean how much has picking a mechanical lock or cracking a mechanical safe changed in the last 20 years? Would we even notice is some one was speaking Japanese from a 2050 language chip vs a 2072 chip? I mean that is like comparing English from 1987 to English from 2009. The slang would be out of date, but little else.

I figure I should be able to find stuff like that at least rating one or two.

Maybe it was rating 4 skill chip when it first came out and now it functions as a rating 2.

The same goes for language and Knowsofts.

I figure Wikipedia would have a good collection of them.

Even if they are sparse or way out of date, the know softs and language softs should be worth a rating two or three.

In software, it is the up to date cutting edge stuff that cost money.

Last year's game often in up in the bargain bin for 5 bucks a pop.

I mean if you think that the stable Free ware stuff is only going to be rating one for active softs and rating two for knowsofts and language softs then that is fine.
cndblank
QUOTE (milk ducks @ Oct 22 2009, 06:57 AM) *
If that's something you're interested in (and understand that, depending on the Availability Interval, it may take a couple days to track down a decent program), I'd like to roll and keep the results to myself; a glitch could bring about all sorts of interesting things.

-milk.

Yes I expect it would. wink.gif
cndblank
Hmmm...

Rev had better buy a good browse program so she can find a good Data Search skill chip.

With a Data Search skill chip of just Rating 1 (Int 3, Data Search 1, plus Browse 3), She could buy successes for a rating one active soft.

That is all she really needs.

Does the Browse program help?
Karoline
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 22 2009, 11:33 AM) *
Hmmm...

Rev had better buy a good browse program so she can find a good Data Search skill chip.

With a Data Search skill chip of just Rating 1 (Int 3, Data Search 1, plus Browse 3), She could buy successes for a rating one active soft.

That is all she really needs.

Does the Browse program help?

Int doesn't affect Data Search at all. You'd need to buy the program, then default on it (So you'd only get 2 dice) to start searching for the data search activesoft, then once you managed that (Which would take at least four weeks if you get nothing but hits, so likely more), then once you had that you could buy 1 hit (Your DP would be 4) and you could get a rating 1 activesoft every eight weeks.
Marwynn
Does no one have a Hacker contact?
Thanee
I don't. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Karoline
Look, Gwen based music biggrin.gif

From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions

Weird....ooo!

Weird Science
Plastic tubes and pots and pans
Bits and pieces and
Magic from the hand
We're makin'

(Weird science)
Things I've never seen before
Behind bolted doors
Talent and imagination

(Weird science)
Not what teacher said to do
Makin' dreams come true
Living tissue, warm flesh

(Weird science)
Plastic tubes and pots and pans
Bits and pieces (and)
Bits and pieces (and)

(Bits of) my creation--Is it real?
It's my creation...my creation
It's my creation

Weird Science
Weird.....ooo!

(Weird science)
Magic and technology
Voodoo dolls and chants
Electricity We're makin'

(Weird science)
Fantasy and microchips
Shooting from the hip
Something different
We're makin'

(Weird science)
Pictures from a magazine
Diagrams and charts
Mending broken hearts (and makin')

(Weird science)
Something like a recipe
Bits and pieces (and)
Bits and pieces (and)

(Bits of) my creation--Is it real?
It's my creation--I do not know
No hesitation--No heart of gold
Just flesh and blood--I do not know
I do not know
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions . . . .

OOoo OOoo OOoo, weird science
milk ducks
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 22 2009, 11:33 AM) *

As Karoline pointed out, Data Search is actually linked to Logic instead of Intuition. Also, remember that we're using the "Gritty Alternative Ruleset" (speaking of which, I need to remember to re-post those rules in the opening post), so the total hits on any test are limited to no more than the character's skill rating x2. In this case, you'd be relying on a Rating 1 Data Search Skillsoft (which is 1,000Y by itself), so you could only ever possibly generate 2 hits during any given Interval.

If, after that, you're looking to pick up even a Rating 1 Activesoft, the Availability Interval would be 2 days, and the Threshold's 8. That's pretty slow going. It gets a bit better if you're only after a Rating 1 Knowsoft; 1 day Availability Interval, Threshold 4. Also, I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm not convinced I should allow buying hits for the Search; we'd be defaulting the test if it weren't for a low-rating Skillsoft (which, again, would need to be purchased first).

Doesn't seem worth it just to get ahold of some Freeware, if you ask me.

-milk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012