Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sympathy for the Devil.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Thanee
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 16 2009, 05:45 AM) *
Communication: Hollywood is rocking a trode net, so he can communicate in AR via text. Thats usually easiest in PbP anyway.

Ah, right. Got some trodes, too. So, no datajack needed, really. smile.gif

Offensive Content: ...

It's a public forum, so anything graphic is right out.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (milk ducks @ Oct 16 2009, 12:13 AM) *
Bingo! I like the way this guy thinks. cool.gif

Yep. smile.gif

I was mostly going by this... "Contestants must be present to win", when I said, I think we have to be there.

Though it might be enough to be 'around', not necessary at Hideki's table, I guess.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
@milk ducks: What Security Rating (AAA, AA, A, B, C, ..., Z) is the area, where the Bad JuJu Lounge is?

Bye
Thanee
Method
I have no idea how poker would work in SR but here are some dice rolls:

Poker:
Hollywood (Poker 3 + INT 3): 2 Hits
Dwarf (Poker 4 + INT 3): 2 Hits

Judge Intentions:
Hollywood (CHA 3 + INT 3): 1 Hit
Dwarf (CHA 3 + INT 3): 2 Hits

Bluff:
Hollywood (CHA 3 + Con 2): 4 Hits!! eek.gif
Dwarf (CHA 3 + Con 3): 1 Hit

I fully intended to have Hollywood loose his starting cash on this game (I even made the dwarf a better poker player), but based on these rolls I had to change my post!! smokin.gif
Karoline
I would think edge would be involved in the initial poker roll (How lucky you are with the cards you draw)
Thanee
Nah, Edge makes no sense. That should be entirely random, if anything. If you want to tip the scale in your favor, you have to spend Edge on the roll. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
cndblank
Putting finishing touches on Rev (buying a couple K of clothes) and the spread sheet has gone buggy.

Thanee
I also bought some clothes (can't run around in the same old jeans all the time, can we?), but as I later realized, clothes seem to be part of Lifestyle, too.
So that was probably a bit redundant, since I have a fairly high Rating in Necessities, which covers clothing. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
milk ducks
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 16 2009, 12:45 AM) *
milk- is SR's Bad Juju Lounge the kind of place where you can wear guns/armor openly? If not, Hollywood will pack his Predators in hidden arm slides and his Warhawk in a small-of-the-back concealed holster all under his leather jacket with FFBA shirt underneath.

I would say bringing weapons into the JuJu is "discouraged" by management, but they aren't going to stop you from entering. It's probably best to keep any weapons concealed, though; don't wanna draw any unnecessary attention. Also, Hideki's goons frisk anyone who wants a face-to-face, so unless you're absolutely sure they're not gonna find something, I'd leave it with a teammate during the meet.

I don't see any issue with wearing armour though - into the lounge or to the table.

-milk.
milk ducks
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 16 2009, 01:52 AM) *
@milk ducks: What Security Rating (AAA, AA, A, B, C, ..., Z) is the area, where the Bad JuJu Lounge is?

Great question. I'm thinking it's an A.

And just for reference:

A Rating: Most of the metroplex falls into rating A security. This level of security generally covers any area with a Middle lifestyle, which accounts for the largest percentage of residential sections of Seattle. These areas receive excellent security, but the level of coverage decreases dramatically from the AA level, primarily because Lone Star lacks sufficient personnel. These areas usually have regular street patrols but only rare astral, drone or security- rigger presence.

Law enforcement in these areas is basically a call-and-response system. This means there are actually a lot of PanicButton booths and neighborhood watch groups and other organizations willing to call in at the slightest hint of criminal activity. This “community policing” tends to result in a higher number of false alarms, which in turn means response time is a bit slower.

-milk.
DigitalOYABUN
@Milk Ducks: With Palming at 5+4 (for Agility) +6 (for size of weapon) and +2 for being under a longcoat for a total of 17 dice, should I just buy successes?

I'm in need of a tutorial on dice rollers here at any rate.

I can clean up....I'll just have to 'pick something up' to wear lol
cndblank
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 16 2009, 06:57 AM) *
I also bought some clothes (can't run around in the same old jeans all the time, can we?), but as I later realized, clothes seem to be part of Lifestyle, too.
So that was probably a bit redundat, since I have a fairly high Rating in Necessities, which covers clothing. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee

Rev has a low lifestyle (she is a simple girl who likes her bike) but she does have a neccessities of 3.

Even so she needs a wardrobe of working and play clothes with everything from hooker to executive. All stuff that looks expensive, can be mixed and matched, and is hard to trace and the accessories (including underwear, perfumes, cosmetics, and hygiene supplies (mostly samples and the like) sense of smell is important). Most of her clothes and accessories are good knockoffs which she will replace as the stakes rise. The only exceptions are the shoes. All have been broken in and are genuine. I realize 2K is not that much but what can you do. I figure she has street, street walker, club goer, delivery person, corp drone, corp exec, and trophy wife. Tags have been erased except for some name label ones appropriated from other sources.
Marwynn
I had forgotten that clothing was part of Lifestyle. I bought a 1000¥ suit and 500¥'s worth of random clothing.

In any case, Sam will go in his leather jacket/duster (knee length), some generic civy wear, and his armoured vest underneath it. It's not a lined coat, but it's not glaringly obvious either.

Just how much heat are y'all planning to pack? Shoulda bought a Lined Jacket...
DigitalOYABUN
I'm at low lifestyle myself with street clothes, mostly chino's and jeans with wife-beater tee's and flannel shirts in browns. The crime mall is in our area as well (Pullayup) so maybe I can pick some knock offs there or just rock the gangware.

I'm eyeing one of those tee-shirts from the club though.... grinbig.gif
cndblank
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 16 2009, 09:24 AM) *
I had forgotten that clothing was part of Lifestyle. I bought a 1000¥ suit and 500¥'s worth of random clothing.

In any case, Sam will go in his leather jacket/duster (knee length), some generic civy wear, and his armoured vest underneath it. It's not a lined coat, but it's not glaringly obvious either.

Just how much heat are y'all planning to pack? Shoulda bought a Lined Jacket...

She will be packing either a MP or a heavy pistol with a hold out and a ceramic knife. Work gear will be in the car or her bike.

Rev will have a line coat and FFBA half shirt under her blouse and jeans. Might have to check the lined coat. But this is a friendly meeting wink.gif

Course we establish how we handle friendly meetings and we will be in a much better position the next time we have an unfriendly meetings.

She figures a taxi cab to the club (pay off a certified cred stick and don't let the camera's get a good shot. Imply we are cheating on our spouses). Then a pickup by one of the outer crew. who will then sweep them for bugs and the like.

Van plans

Needs to be a firm small enough to not have the vans wired six ways to Sunday. Large enough their insurance will cover it. Looking for vans that are nothing special and don't have much inside of them.

Delivery vans would be ideal.

Take them out of the parking lot early morning on a weekend? Need to spoof the camera's and the gate. Then do a serious sweep and fry.

Will need removable spoof chips and morph plates which other than an aerosol canister of C squared set on a timer with a remote will likely be the only upgrades we make.

Also paint and removable signage to dress them for the party.

Park them in some abandoned garage we can lock and see if anyone comes and gets them. After 72 hours we should be golden.
Thanee
QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 16 2009, 05:09 PM) *
I'm in need of a tutorial on dice rollers here at any rate.

That's simple.

You go to this site: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ (best bookmark it)

( I would recommend registering an account there and logging in, otherwise you cannot write notes on the rolls, to see what it is for. )

Enter your Character Name into the appropriate field (always use the same name for the same character; best to use some short one word name here, just to keep it from being too annoying to enter it all the time wink.gif).

When logged in, enter the Campaign Name into the appropriate field (totally optional, really).

Leave Number of Rolls at 1.

Now comes the interesting part.

Type... #d6.hits(5) into the Dice field (where # is the number of d6 you roll; like 17d6.hits(5)).

When logged in, enter a Note into the appropriate field, to see what the roll is for (i.e. Palming+Agility+Mods).

Then click Roll the dice, and you get forwarded to a site, that displays your roll and shows links to copy, which you can use to copy them here.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 16 2009, 07:00 PM) *
I'm eyeing one of those tee-shirts from the club though.... grinbig.gif

Yeah, that hat is pretty cool! spin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Well, I will leave my pistol at home. I can drive there in my car (and also pick someone up on the way, if necessary), leaving it in some secure parking area nearby. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Marwynn
I'm looking at it on Google Map's Streetview. Not a lot of places to stick around and remain incognito, small street, two sidewalks.

Perhaps one sitting in a car with the heavier guns, and one or two prowling outside would be good. I figure Kid Hollywood and Shotgun Sam can drink the noon hours away, taking a look before coming back later. One or two spots where we can keep an eye on the outside and watch comers and goers on the street.

Of course we are being paranoid here, but that's a good thing right?

That adds a Lined Coat and a FFBA of some type to my shopping list.
cndblank
Riggers likely our best eyes and ears at least physically.
Karoline
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 16 2009, 01:56 PM) *
Riggers likely our best eyes and ears at least physically.

Always the rigger's job to be in 20 places at once wink.gif
cndblank
Gwen/Karoline

Would you mind if Rev borrowed some bandwidth?

She can trade you workspace.

She rents a small garage in the junkyard. It has running water, power (most of the time), and plumbing.
Dosses out in a sleep cab on an adjacent big rig (semi - currently sans diesel engine).

Plenty of room to work on her bike but she has a lousy matrix connection so she has to get her jones some where.

Likes to cruise the matrix a couple of hours a day.
cndblank
Only because they can!
cndblank
Looks like Mac (Sophie) and Gwen are going to be the ones in charge of Matrix and comm security.

You can settle it between you. wink.gif

Rev likes to cruise the Matrix but she is a total Newb as far as software is concerned.

What do you need from us and how much do we need to pay you for some sweet warez?

Perhaps we each buy some software and then share it?

Also how much do you need to keep it up to date.
cndblank
Saw this in the Seattle book on Black's junkyard

> The yard is fenced off, protected with monowire and sensors that pick up
minute electrical disruptions from somebody touching the fence for more than
a second or two. They used to keep vicious guard dogs around the place but
lately someone has been putting together a lot of second-hand drones to patrol
the grounds at night to keep out the trash-rats and other scavengers.

> Hard Exit

Who could be doing that?
Karoline
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 16 2009, 08:56 PM) *
Saw this in the Seattle book on Black's junkyard

> The yard is fenced off, protected with monowire and sensors that pick up
minute electrical disruptions from somebody touching the fence for more than
a second or two. They used to keep vicious guard dogs around the place but
lately someone has been putting together a lot of second-hand drones to patrol
the grounds at night to keep out the trash-rats and other scavengers.

> Hard Exit

Who could be doing that?

Hehe, couldn't be Gwen building up a drone army.

Yeah, sure, Gwen wouldn't mind Rev coming over to bum some matrix time so long as Gwen can bum some good workspace time. And of course Rev doesn't mind putting up with Gwen playfully flirting with her. wink.gif
milk ducks
Thread's coming along pretty well guys, good work.

-milk.
cndblank
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 16 2009, 11:42 PM) *
Hehe, couldn't be Gwen building up a drone army.

Yeah, sure, Gwen wouldn't mind Rev coming over to bum some matrix time so long as Gwen can bum some good workspace time. And of course Rev doesn't mind putting up with Gwen playfully flirting with her. wink.gif

Nah, she don't mind. wink.gif

Give her a chance to practice some of her different "Personas"

Just be warned Rev is a Media Junkie (comes from all that time she spent as a one armed paraplegic.)
cndblank
BTW, I'm waiting for someone else to post before Rev gets out of bed.
OperationSpirit
I've actually decided to sit this run out guys. I think it's going to be a lot of fun, but with a newborn in the house, and starting back to work on Monday I just don't think I'll have the time to contribute as often as I'd like to.
Hopefully I'll be able to participate some time in the future though smile.gif
cndblank
Been there, done that.

Good luck!

Just remember you are still an amateur parent until you have two. wink.gif
milk ducks
I've decided to use Method's Karma Drip system to award bonus Karma during the runs. Any player who posts at least 3 times a week in the IC thread will be awarded 1 Karma via PM. I've revised the opening post of this thread to include this information. As of right now, I'm just waiting for you guys to arrive at the Bad JuJu; that's where my next round of posts come in. But is there anything you guys need or want me to post in the meantime? Any IC information I can post that you feel hasn't been explained? I feel right now like I'm more "hands off" than I want to be, but there isn't much for me to post until everyone's in a position where they need me to explain or describe something.

-milk.
Method
I think Marwynn and I will want some OoC info once we start scoping out the club.
Marwynn
Sam will be making a visit soon to see what's what. Perhaps even going in to buy some drinks with Hollywood after lunch, if they're open. I don't wanna wait several hours there, well perhaps a few hours before the meet is fine, so I'm thinking around 5-6 when the wageslaves come in after work. He'll travel via public transportation, Fake SIN all the way.

Since it's A-rated getting in will require some scans right? At least through checkpoints?

I'd have bought a car for Sam but it didn't fit with the background. He'll be packing a Colt and will hold any piece you guys have in his leather jacket (knee-length). If you guys are bringing vehicles he can stand watch near it, with the bigger guns inside.

Is there a place to keep an eye on the outside of the Juju without being too conspicuous? Like a roof or street-level patio?
Thanee
Hey, it's still quite some time until the meet. Still figuring out what to do with that time... probably not a whole lot. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (OperationSpirit @ Oct 17 2009, 09:24 PM) *
I've actually decided to sit this run out guys. I think it's going to be a lot of fun, but with a newborn in the house, and starting back to work on Monday I just don't think I'll have the time to contribute as often as I'd like to.
Hopefully I'll be able to participate some time in the future though smile.gif

Awww... but I agree, that the newborn (and job) has to have a higher priority. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
DigitalOYABUN
Been doing some brain storming (yes it hurt).

Why dont we, as in those junkyard girls purchase (we all chip in) a junked van. The RFID's are stripped off it...we steal another like model van and replace its RFID tags with those from the junker.

Also, do we know all of the group that's been invited to the job? ie are we all CC'ed to the same message and/or this known to be our crew? Reason I ask is that it makes sence we would contact each other if that was the case. Nest-O will be making calls, especially to the ones he knows have no wheels.
Method
I think we should just say we all know each other or at least know of each other. It will take way too long in PbP to establish all the various relationships in game.

And I think DO's idea of swapping the RFID tags from a junker to a stolen van is great idea.

So to summarize our current plan for the meet:
-- Rev and Nesto will conduct the face-to-face with Hideki. Rev will do most of the talking.
-- Sam and Hollywood will secure the meet. They will case the Bad Juju Lounge in advance and show up to the meet packing concealed firearms. I think they should stay inside the club to provide close protection- if things go south they have to be ready to get Rev and Nesto out fast. Waiting outside or by the car would leave Rev and Nesto exposed for far too long.
-- We will probably want Raven inside the club as well so she can assense for magical threats and provide dispelling for Rev and Nesto.
-- Gwen should be standing by with a getaway vehicle and her AK-97 in case we need a speedy exit. Her LEBD-1's could also be circling the area to lay down cover fire if need be. (As a side note to Karoline- Gwen doesn't have Pilot Aircraft?)

Anyone have any other thoughts?
cndblank
We all know each other so yes.

Nice bit about the girlfriend.

What I want to know is what is the best encryption software we can get.

Also are there an open source skill chips out there? Maybe rating one or two?

I mean how much as hitting someone with a stick or changing the spark plugs changed in the last twenty years?
Marwynn
They're free up to Rating 4, but that's up to our intrepid GM to authorize.

They may have all sorts of virii and malware. One of my favourite quirks for open source software is that it's ad-supported freeware: so you can get Automotive Mechanic 4 but are only good with Ford vehicles.

I shouldn`t be giving the GM any ideas...

Alright, I think Sam`ll be there by 6, scope the areas out, noting exits and so forth. Will be inside by 7ish.
DigitalOYABUN
Should Nest0 be thinking his best (read cleanest) set of chino's and brown shirt is appropriate attire? If not, he'll need a call advising him of it. I'm playing him as not dumb enough to do a run in colors, but a meet is something else in his mind. So, since you're aware of his habits.....do what you believe is right (even if its nothing). Heck it'd even be funny if you all called him to tell him not to!

I'm playing NestO as someone very 'in the rough', with potential if he can make it long enough.
Karoline
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 17 2009, 09:49 PM) *
What I want to know is what is the best encryption software we can get.

I have a rating 6, and I'm sure our hacker has a rating 6 as well. I also have an EW skill of 2 to back it up. That reminds me, we aren't using the optional 'Logic+skill with max hits equal to program rating' for matrix stuff right? I think that is what Milk said, but I don't entirely remember.

QUOTE (Method)
(As a side note to Karoline- Gwen doesn't have Pilot Aircraft?)

Correct. She also lacks Pilot Anthroform and gunnery. What you really seem to be overlooking though, is that she lacks a control rig altogether. She lacks cyber altogether actually. She is a new breed of rigger that I am working on establishing, specifically one that doesn't technically rig. The idea is something along the lines of 'It takes so much effort to be able to pilot/fight effectively with a drone via jumping into it, when a decent pilot and autosoft can do just as good a job or better, so why not just let the program do its job, and I can focus on other things?'

So, instead of becoming very good at controlling a single drone and increasing its performance slightly through replacing its autosoft with my 50 BP worth of skills, I invest those points into other things that make me useful, while my drones continue to operate on their own. This actually allows me to be in 20 places at once better than the stereotypical rigger. So yeah, I may not be able to beef up a single drone to quite the level of a 'real' rigger, but I'm actually likely to be much more useful and effective overall. At least that is the theory. We'll see how it works out. All the more fun as I operate under 'no cyber and no magic ability' with this character so far.

This reminds me, milk, since my drones will often be operating 'autonomously' how would you like to handle that? Should I write up massive simulated programs for my drones to indicate how they would react to different situations, or would you prefer I just control them directly, operating under the assumption that I've managed to program them to do what I want them to in a given situation.
Marwynn
You can create "Scripts" for Agents, and since Pilots are similar to Agents you can create scripts for them. Basic programming really.

So you can be some sort of drone army commander with pre-set orders.
Karoline
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 17 2009, 11:42 PM) *
So you can be some sort of drone army commander with pre-set orders.

That's basically the idea wink.gif

And yeah, scripts is what I was trying to think of. The big problem is that I know real programming, and am very into that sort of thing, and so if milk has me write out actual scripts, he would be getting back several pages worth of script detailing how my drones would operate under an immense array of conditions. This is why I asked if he wanted to simplify things by working under the assumption that my character has written these scripts such that the drones operate more or less as she wants them to, and thus have me just directly control them.

I mean if milk really wants a small book grade script, I can provide it for him, but I just figured direct control would make his life easier.

(And no, I'm not joking, if you want me to make a script for my drones, expect the script length to be in the hundreds. Not a threat, just a warning that I am both good at scripting, and enjoy it.)
milk ducks
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 17 2009, 04:58 PM) *
I think Marwynn and I will want some OoC info once we start scoping out the club.
Yep, and I've got it all prepared for when you need it.

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 17 2009, 05:02 PM) *
Sam will be making a visit soon to see what's what. Perhaps even going in to buy some drinks with Hollywood after lunch, if they're open.
They'll be open. I have no idea if the real JuJu's open for lunch, but mine is.

Since it's A-rated getting in will require some scans right? At least through checkpoints?
I don't imagine there are many checkpoints, if there are any at all. As I understand it, A-Rating Security is basically an on-call system. There are some patrols, sure, but nothing I'd really worry about. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a place to keep an eye on the outside of the Juju without being too conspicuous? Like a roof or street-level patio?
Yeah, plenty of all that stuff. I imagine it' an easy place to scope out.

QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 17 2009, 09:35 PM) *
Also, do we know all of the group that's been invited to the job? ie are we all CC'ed to the same message and/or this known to be our crew? Reason I ask is that it makes sence we would contact each other if that was the case. Nest-O will be making calls, especially to the ones he knows have no wheels.
Yeah, for the sake of simplicity, everyone know's who's been invited to this job.

QUOTE (Method @ Oct 17 2009, 10:47 PM) *
So to summarize our current plan for the meet:
-- Rev and Nesto will conduct the face-to-face with Hideki. Rev will do most of the talking.
-- Sam and Hollywood will secure the meet. They will case the Bad Juju Lounge in advance and show up to the meet packing concealed firearms. I think they should stay inside the club to provide close protection- if things go south they have to be ready to get Rev and Nesto out fast. Waiting outside or by the car would leave Rev and Nesto exposed for far too long.
-- We will probably want Raven inside the club as well so she can assense for magical threats and provide dispelling for Rev and Nesto.
-- Gwen should be standing by with a getaway vehicle and her AK-97 in case we need a speedy exit. Her LEBD-1's could also be circling the area to lay down cover fire if need be. (As a side note to Karoline- Gwen doesn't have Pilot Aircraft?)
Sounds like an awesome plan.

QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 17 2009, 11:24 PM) *
Should Nest0 be thinking his best (read cleanest) set of chino's and brown shirt is appropriate attire?
That should be just fine. Matsu Hideki will be sharply dressed, but that's just his style. The rest of the club is a pretty standard rock club. You can reasonably expect others to be dressed just like you, which is good.

-milk
cndblank
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 17 2009, 09:27 PM) *
I have a rating 6, and I'm sure our hacker has a rating 6 as well.

Who is our hacker?

cndblank
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 17 2009, 09:16 PM) *
They're free up to Rating 4, but that's up to our intrepid GM to authorize.

They may have all sorts of virii and malware. One of my favourite quirks for open source software is that it's ad-supported freeware: so you can get Automotive Mechanic 4 but are only good with Ford vehicles.

I shouldn`t be giving the GM any ideas...

Alright, I think Sam`ll be there by 6, scope the areas out, noting exits and so forth. Will be inside by 7ish.

I'll just get the Penguin ones. wink.gif

And the rating one and twos should be pretty clean having been out so long.
Method
QUOTE (SR4A page 245)
"If the gamemaster feels that a command falls within a gray area or is simply too convoluted, he can roll a secret Pilot + Response Test for the Pilot to see how well it comprehends the order, basing the threshold on an appropriate difficulty level."

This is basically an SR3 style "comprehension test" for the drone. And the rules for Scripts in Unwired recommend a similar test for situations that GM deems to fall outside a Script.

As for the hacker... well it appears we don't have one.
Karoline
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 18 2009, 12:38 AM) *
As for the hacker... well it appears we don't have one.

Really? I could have sworn someone was making a hacker... well, that should be interesting. I'm the closest we have then, but I'm purely set up for defensive stuff, and can't crack my way into a stuffer shack.
Method
Yep that was SincereAgape, but he never submitted a character.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012