Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ShadowBay
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Method
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 5 2010, 01:40 PM) *
Finally, one for the strangeness pile:Shadowrun 3rd Edition in a binder.
Could also be a direct result of the shitty bindings that plagued SR books back in those days. These young whipper-snappers 'round here don't know how good they have it with their fancy hard-bound core books... sarcastic.gif

edit: oh yeah... get off my lawn...
hobgoblin
heh, i wonder if i should do something similar to my matrix copy...
Method
I feel your pain. My copy of Matrix is held together with nails. Nails. There must have been something amiss with the binding process when they made that book.
ravensmuse
Anyone want to start a charity fund to get that Shadowrun manga collection for a community translation effort? biggrin.gif
Red_Cap
Speaking of old books, I found a copy of Shadowbeat in the forgotten books section of my LGS this week; never saw it there before, but I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough. I even got a discount on it from the manager because "Damn, that's an old book."
TheFr0g
Another old book story...

I had a copy of Awakenings that got drenched in an unfortunate roof leak incident. I put it in the oven on really low heat to dry it out, which actually worked. I remembered to turn the oven off but not to take the book out so when my roomate went to make a pizza a few days later the stench of burning binding glue reminded me of my error.

It actually ended up looking really cool, burnt edges, browned paper... I stuck it in a 3 ring binder and continued to use it. It smelled terrible though, and was fairly brittle. Still, considering it was a magic sourcebook it was kind of fun to have to treat it like an ancient tome.

Ancient History
Japanese Shadowrun 2nd Edition Hardcover. I bid on one of these at a Fantasy Shop auction in St. Louis but got out when the store clerk bid $300. The bastard.

SR Booklot, with the highlight being Shadowland #3. It always makes me sort of curious to see lots like this, and imagine what the games must have been like with just these books. Not sad, really, just wondering where the fan's imaginations took them with that as a launching point.

Okay, this? This is insanity. These people are charging more for the book than my friend Jong-Won and I were paid to write Seattle. This is a book that went out of print in part because it took so frickin' long to sell. Madness. I can't wait to see what happens with Feral Cities and Corporate Enclaves. If I'd kept all my comp copies and not sent them to my dad and grandmother to prove I haven't been sitting around with my thumb up my arse, I could easily have doubled my money. I think I fell through a portal to Bizzaro-World at some point.
Method
$228.54? I have a copy of Runners Havens I might be willing sell for half that much if anyone is interested... silly.gif

I recently saw a few auctions for older (but not vintage by any means) Warhammer stuff with similarly inflated prices. I think this is what happens when people who don't understand the niche market that is gaming try to sell things despite having no idea of the value their product has among actual gamers/collectors.

[edit] Also, does anyone happen to know how many issues of Shadowland were printed before it got nixed? I think I have the first 6, but I'm curious how many issues they produced.
MJBurrage
Ka-Ge had thirteen issues (Issue Zero – Issue 12) from 1991–1994

Shadowland had seven issues (#1 – #7) from 1995–1997
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 16 2010, 12:58 AM) *
Japanese Shadowrun 2nd Edition Hardcover. I bid on one of these at a Fantasy Shop auction in St. Louis but got out when the store clerk bid $300. The bastard.

i wonder what it is with the old black and white artwork that makes it appeal to me so much.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 16 2010, 02:54 AM) *
i wonder what it is with the old black and white artwork that makes it appeal to me so much.
On a related note, here's some pictures of the Japanese Earthdawn books (at earthdawn.blogspot.com):
http://earthdawn.blogspot.com/2009/01/eart...world-wide.html
Ancient History
This week: zines. Many of you might be too young to remember the heyday of gaming magazines, but there was once a time when many of these flimsy, flashy, usually a touch amateurish periodicals would grace the shelves of B. Daltons and FLGSs alike. Even company rags like White Wolf would spare a couple black-and-white pages for fannish articles on other games, 'cause everyone did it - granted, this was back when WW was more punk than gothic.

So, starting off: White Wolf Magazine. Here's some more. Yet more. To save you the googling, I include Shannon Applecline's excellent overview and article index.

Next up: Vortext, a zine so obscure I had never even heard of it before today. Again, Ms. Applecline comes through with an index.

Moving on: Shadis. Applecline's Index is substantially dated at this point, as Shadis is currently living on through its spiritual successor Knights of the Dinner Table Magazine. And some more

I hold a soft spot in my cold, black heart for Challenge, GDW's addition to the list. And more. Yet more. Challenge published Stackpoole's original Wolf & Raven stories for SR, and included SR art by many, if not most, of the SR1 and SR2 notables such as Tim Bradstreet and Jeff Laubenstein.

Okay, not a magazine, but how trippy is the cover to this German version of SR4A?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 5 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Okay, not a magazine, but how trippy is the cover to this German version of SR4A?

"VERSION 4.01 D" indeed.
MJBurrage
Thhee issues of Ka•Ge magazine
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 5 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Finally, one for the strangeness pile: Shadowrun 3rd Edition in a binder. Literally, it looks like somebody tore the book apart. Each page appears separately bagged and there are little tabs dividing chapters. While I abhor book butchery, this does seem to be a highly practical item for the discerning gamemaster (of an SR3 game), and the price is right.

I've actually done this before to game books.

Many office services stores like Staples will chop off the binding of a book and re-bind it using spiral binding (or a 3-ring binder).

3-ring binders allow inserting stuff like houserules and errata between pages easily, and you can put tabs like the example linked.

Spiral binding allows the book to be laid flat on a table or even folded open.

With clear plastic cover pages the books can last quite a while. If you've done it to a hardcover, it reduces the weight.

Here's what I don't understand, wrt Japanese Shadowrun material - the Japanese have plenty of weirdness of their own, why would they feel the need to import some more from us?
Draco18s
QUOTE (kjones @ Feb 20 2010, 01:37 AM) *
Here's what I don't understand, wrt Japanese Shadowrun material - the Japanese have plenty of weirdness of their own, why would they feel the need to import some more from us?

Likely because our weirdness is tentacle-free. And despite 70 years of dystopian future history, there still aren't used underwear vending machines in ShadowRun (despite a growing used bioware market).
hobgoblin
didnt the japanese version of SR edit out any existence of orcs?
Ancient History
Okay, this is unusual: original art for the Shadowrun TCG, by D. Martin. Three are up:
Haunted High Rise
Fusion Gate
Skillsoft: Stealth

And, for whatever it is worth to you, an autographed SR TCG card. x2.

While we're on these things, here is a box of SR TCG boosters and a box of SR TCG: Underworld boosters.

A note when buying Universal Brotherhood, this product consists of two (2) booklets in one (1) cover folder. Shop smart, ask the damn buyer for details before you drop US$40 on it.

This is a new one on me: Shadowrun Dragonskin book cover, still minty fresh. See, back in the day you would by these rubber, textured dragonskin covers and put them on your hardcover books to protect them from scuffs, and to look totally awesome and freak out the straights. I've never seen an SR version of one, though.

Also, for those of you lacking stylish bling: FASA sterling silver Shadowrun pendant. If not for the price, this would be very tempting to me. You know I love to accessorize.

While we're on the subject of weird stuff, I'm going to mention the Book of Mars. This was an early FASA supplement, way back before they produced Shadowrun, and which they purchased from the creator and re-issued in a slimmer, sexier edition. It's basically a generic combat/mass-combat system. Despite the lister's mention, this book has nothing to do with Shadowrun. I mean, I guess you could use it with Shadowrun if you really really wanted to, I don't know why you would. Maybe the grognard content in your blood is low?

...while we're here, all of you, please. If you spend this much on Runners Companion, I will hate so hard five years will come off my life.
MJBurrage
Was Runner's Companion out of print for awhile ? It's the only reason—albeit not a good one—I can think of for such a crazy price.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 14 2010, 12:23 AM) *
This is a new one on me: Shadowrun Dragonskin book cover, still minty fresh. See, back in the day you would by these rubber, textured dragonskin covers and put them on your hardcover books to protect them from scuffs, and to look totally awesome and freak out the straights. I've never seen an SR version of one, though.

...while we're here, all of you, please. If you spend this much on Runners Companion, I will hate so hard five years will come off my life.

The dragonskin bidding ended, aw. Looks nice though.

On the price of runner's companion: that's nothing. I witnessed a copy of Stone & Sky* for over $1000. Out of print? Yes. Worth 1 grand? Not unless it was signed by the author who somehow died in the last 3 years (Graham Edwards is still alive at the ripe young age of 45, even had a short email exchange with him about his books).

*I believe it was this book and one other, which I think was Stone & Sea, though it could have been one of the Dragoncharm trilogy too (the series are related, albeit a million years apart--there are two characters that appear in both and only one of them cheated by being immortal).
hobgoblin
i love how when it comes to electrical deaths, its the volts that gets mentioned, when the real issue is the watts.

iirc, a electrical cattle fence is 10000 volt, but the low watt makes it more painful then deadly (unless you get badly tangled in it, and it manages to shock your heart rhythm).
Draco18s
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 14 2010, 11:38 AM) *
i love how when it comes to electrical deaths, its the volts that gets mentioned, when the real issue is the watts.

iirc, a electrical cattle fence is 10000 volt, but the low watt makes it more painful then deadly (unless you get badly tangled in it, and it manages to shock your heart rhythm).

...Wrong thread?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 14 2010, 06:20 PM) *
...Wrong thread?

follow the fusion gate link, then read the flavor text on the card being sold.
pbangarth
Not on eBay, and mine not for sale, but I thought I might see if this product is around anywhere.

At a Gencon long ago, maybe in Kenosha or in the first year or two in Milwaukee, there was a vendor who produced heavy, well-made t-shirts and sweatshirts onto which they embroidered on-site an image you selected from their catalog. I got a black sweatshirt with the Shadowrun dragon-skull-on-circuit-board-scroll logo on the chest. Really sturdy and durable. Many games of warm geekieness.

It's getting a bit worn around the neck and the sleeves after a couple of decades. Anybody know of someone who does this now?
Draco18s
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 14 2010, 01:15 PM) *
follow the fusion gate link, then read the flavor text on the card being sold.

Ahh...there we go. Was lacking a reference.

But yes.

Volts jolt, amps vamp.
Bull
I've seen the Dragonskin covers before. Chessex I don't think actually makes them anymore, but I remember actually seeing teh Shadowrun one at their booth many, many GenCons ago. I passed on buying it as I was low on $$, and I've been looking for one ever since frown.gif

And damn, the SRTCG cards are going for way, way too much frown.gif I'm still kicking myself for not buying more from STiggybaby's when they were clearancing them out frown.gif

Bull
pbangarth
QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 14 2010, 02:04 PM) *
I've seen the Dragonskin covers before. Chessex I don't think actually makes them anymore, but I remember actually seeing teh Shadowrun one at their booth many, many GenCons ago. I passed on buying it as I was low on $, and I've been looking for one ever since frown.gif

And damn, the SRTCG cards are going for way, way too much frown.gif I'm still kicking myself for not buying more from STiggybaby's when they were clearancing them out frown.gif

Bull
One of the most common cries in the human condition: "If only..."
nemafow
Oopps my bad on the dragonskin covers, apologies.
Bull
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 14 2010, 05:19 PM) *
One of the most common cries in the human condition: "If only..."

EH, it happens. And I still have a bunch of rare and unique shadowrun items kicking around. <shrug>

Besides, the new Shadowrun books are thick enough that I don't think the Dragonskin would work on them anyways. I do have a blank black one kicking around that I kept on my SR3 LE, and it doesn't fit on my SR4 one.

Bull
BookWyrm
There's a couple of Dragonskin book covers on Ebay, I just checked. No SR cover, but the CyberPunk 2020 one is there. Just put "Dragonskin" into the search. You'll get a few entries on 'dragonskin jewelry", but the covers are there.
Method
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 13 2010, 10:23 PM) *
I own two of these (one gold and one silver) and if I'd have seen this auction I would have payed way more than $10 to make sure I owned a third. They are great and I wish Chessex still made the SR version...
nemafow
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 15 2010, 10:06 AM) *
I own two of these (one gold and one silver) and if I'd have seen this auction I would have payed way more than $10 to make sure I owned a third. They are great and I wish Chessex still made the SR version...

Can you confirm they fit on the SR4 books? (if you own any 4th books)
Method
Thats a good question. I don't know off hand because one is on my copy of SR1 and the other is on one of my copies of SR3 and all are in storage currently. I could dig them out and let you know for sure, but my initial thoughts are that if they are long enough they would fit any of the SR4 core books except the BBB, which is likely too thick (though I know for sure they fit the SR3 BBB). I'll try to dig them out later, if I get a chance.
nemafow
No don't take the trouble, was just wondering if you knew off the top of your head, either way mine are in the mail, so I will find out sooner or later wink.gif
Method
Did you find a supplier that still carries the SR Dragonskin?
nemafow
I bought some of the ones that were advertised in a link in this post off ebay.
Method
Nice.

"I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin, but I think unicorns are kick ass!"
Ancient History
I say nothing.
Mr. Man
I sure wouldn't...
Draco18s
Unicron kicks a lot of ass.

Oh. Unicorn. My mistake.
Method
Indeed.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 14 2010, 11:33 PM) *

That game was weird (no, you're not the first person to link me to it). Once I realized that there were two controls I did fairly well.
ravensmuse
I'm onto you guys.
Draco18s
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Mar 15 2010, 10:54 AM) *

*Ducks as something flies over his head*
BookWyrm
Is there an image of this legendary Dragonskin for Shadowrun? My search-fu has failed me.
Draco18s
There is one at that link AH posted, though buried because the auction was over.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/Starbase/dragonskin8029.jpg
Ancient History
Been a bit of dead couple of weeks, so this is mostly a re-hash of a few interesting items that remain unsold.

First off, a warning: the Denver Boxed Set is not worth $200.

Starting off: Posters
A Shadowrun poster featuring Striper
A Shadowrun poster of the cover of the Aztlan sourcebook.
NAN cover poster.

Another signed Shadowrun TCG card. And another.

A box of Grenadier Shadowrun minis. The grognard in me does so love the old Grenadier boxes.

More old Earl Grier SR art. At least, I'm pretty sure that one is SR. The cyberspurs and name are familiar, like something out of the Seattle Sourcebook.

A mint-in-box Shadowrun Duels demo boxed set.

Okay, this is old but there are now two copies of the complete set of Shadowrun manga. Other set.

Still one Shadowrun Dragonskin book cover left.

A vintage Shadowrun 3rd Edition LE. BBB indeed. And another one.

Method
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 20 2010, 03:48 PM)
Still one Shadowrun Dragonskin book cover left.
Nope. devil.gif
Bull
*sigh* I still regret the necessity of selling my BABY (THe BBB was the 1st and 2nd ed HBs (Big Blue Book and Big Black Book, respectively), the 3rd ed was the BABY (Black and Blue Yearbook). I don't think we ever came up with a good name for the SR4 one.

Ahh well frown.gif

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012