Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ShadowBay
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ancient History
I do on occasion delve into eBay, just to see what's out there that's new and special and too rich for my blood.

The Shadowrun Manga caught my eye because I didn't recall them as actually existing - and then I ran across this ancient article which would seem to lend credence to the posting. Still only an item the most eccentric (or Japanese-fluent) collector.

I actually asked Adam about these t-shirts; there are couple different designs from the same seller.

I include the Shadowrun thesis only to encourage people not to buy it (although it's kind of them to include free shipping given the price - US$60 is about average). Anyway, it's a 68-page thesis written in English by a non-American student, and general feedback on the contents (and especially the relevance to Shadowrun) has been poor. Skip this one.

Shadowrun posters are rare enough, but this is a really cherry example of an early FASA pin-up. Minus the border, it's the picture from Native American Nations, Vol. 1.
Draco18s
Oh man. If only they'd used an image that was more appropriate for a campaign T-Shirt than the faded wall poster.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
Tachi
Hey Ancient... when did you get a job at QVC?

Or are you hard up for money and getting kickbacks? nyahnyah.gif

Just kidding man... where do you always find all the stuff you run across? Better yet, how much time do you spend looking for SR stuff? You always find good stuff...
BookWyrm
I didn't know about the manga. Too bad there isn't an English translation. I'd love to get a good look at it.

Nice work on tracking all those down, AH.
Ancient History
My awe-inspiring powers generally amount to typing "shadowrun" into eBay's search parameters once every couple of weeks and scrolling through the 10 or so pages. If I get really insane (or bored), which really shouldn't happen because I'm behind on writing, I'll go through Amazon and a couple of its foreign site mirrors like Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca. Like with many things, all you really require is the fortitude to wade through fifty entries on the Shadowrun PC/Xbox disaster and an eye for little details.

Which is how I now own three copies of the Street Samurai Guide: the original uncensored edition, the regular censored edition, and the (presumably) rarer censored-but-in-a-different-way edition.
Tachi
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 27 2009, 09:56 PM) *
My awe-inspiring powers generally amount to typing "shadowrun" into eBay's search parameters once every couple of weeks and scrolling through the 10 or so pages. If I get really insane (or bored), which really shouldn't happen because I'm behind on writing, I'll go through Amazon and a couple of its foreign site mirrors like Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca. Like with many things, all you really require is the fortitude to wade through fifty entries on the Shadowrun PC/Xbox disaster and an eye for little details.

Translation: Patience Grasshopper...

See, that must be where I always mess up, I'm big on instant gratification. Plus, everytime I see a page of SR PC/Xbox I get pissed and bail.

Which is how I now own three copies of the Street Samurai Guide: the original uncensored edition, the regular censored edition, and the (presumably) rarer censored-but-in-a-different-way edition.

Really? I didn't know there were three versions...
Method
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 27 2009, 05:51 PM) *
I actually asked Adam about these t-shirts; there are couple different designs from the same seller.

What was the question and what was his response? Are these official or is this an IP infringement of some kind?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Nov 27 2009, 10:53 PM) *
I didn't know about the manga. Too bad there isn't an English translation. I'd love to get a good look at it.

If someone can provide me a copy of the manga (or a script thereof), even temporarily, I can make a translation.

~J
Ancient History
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 28 2009, 05:21 AM) *
What was the question and what was his response? Are these official or is this an IP infringement of some kind?

As far as I know they're not "official" in that I don't believe that CGL (or any other license holder) has granted a sub-license to print them. My question to Adam was whether or not the Vote-For-Dunkelzahn poster-shirt had ever been an official FASA shirt (yes). As far as I know, these guys just have a couple boxes of the old ones lying around...if they're actually printing new ones, I don't know.
underaneonhalo
That t-shirt looks like a really bad photoshop.
Draco18s
QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Nov 27 2009, 11:41 PM) *
That t-shirt looks like a really bad photoshop.

It does. Makes me want to "fix" it by making a "Vote for Big D" t-shirt, rather than a "Vote for Big D poster" t-shirt.
The Jake
I remember once I picked up Universal Brotherhood for $5AUD in a second hand section at my local RPG store. It somehow got lost in a move (I think) only to find that it retails on Ebay for $100USD+ (usually $150USD now). Doh.

I am also on the hunt for a copy of Runner Havens. Cheapest I've seen in 12 months is approximately $127USD. Sigh.

- J.
Ancient History
Space Gamer. It's hard to remember now, but back in the dawn times Shadowrun actually rated articles and reviews in these things called "gaming magazines," which sadly pretty much are one-company promoters or nearly nonexistent at this point. If you're interested in those kinds of things, others to look out for are issues of Challenger, White Wolf Quarterly, Game Trade Magazine, and a rare few issues of Dragon. Generally those auctions will not advertise that the issue has a Shadowrun-specific article, so you have to sort of know what you're looking for. Case in point: Dragon Magazine #199 includes an article on Dunkelzahn: the Mass-Media Dragon written by Tom Dowd.

The Shadowrun SEGA Mega-CD game, released only in Japan (and in Japanese) is a rarity, made available only through the grace of the internet. This isn't a bad price, but since this game is on an ancient system, is only in Japanese, and a somewhat bizarre format, it's more of a curiosity than a must-have. Reviews and screenshots are available online in various fansites.

Now this is interesting (and cheap!), a FASA Shadowrun poster I've never seen before. The auctioneer claims it is for Shadowrun Third Edition, which I doubt since FASA closed long before then. The art is definitely Jeff Laubenstein, though - look at that troll and the street mage that stepped right off the color plates of SR1 and SR2!

High Tech & Low Life is one of the great bombs of Shadowrun publishing, at least the way I heard it. This was back in the day when D&D was releasing books of its art by Brom and Larry Elmore; SR had some pieces by Luis Ruyo, Soriyama, and Tim Bradstreet to brag about, so they got in the game with this too-big-to-fit-on-a-shelf art book...it did not sell quickly, or in mass quantities. It is very pretty however.

Always beware buying German SR novels, or at the very least do a quick online translation before you bid. This item, for example, is a German translation of Find Your Own Truth, the third novel in Shadowrun's Secrets of Power trilogy - and which you can get in English for about a buck plus shipping. That said, the Germans have produced their own original and unique Shadowrun novels. Which are all in German.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 28 2009, 04:56 AM) *

a bit of elven nudity offended some parent "representatives"?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 10 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Now this is interesting (and cheap!), a FASA Shadowrun poster I've never seen before. The auctioneer claims it is for Shadowrun Third Edition, which I doubt since FASA closed long before then. The art is definitely Jeff Laubenstein, though - look at that troll and the street mage that stepped right off the color plates of SR1 and SR2!

yep, looks like the archetypes from the SR2 thats sitting on my shelf.

High Tech & Low Life is one of the great bombs of Shadowrun publishing, at least the way I heard it. This was back in the day when D&D was releasing books of its art by Brom and Larry Elmore; SR had some pieces by Luis Ruyo, Soriyama, and Tim Bradstreet to brag about, so they got in the game with this too-big-to-fit-on-a-shelf art book...it did not sell quickly, or in mass quantities. It is very pretty however.

http://www.allianceangst.com/galeria/desen...owrun%2038.html <- if this is what he did for SR, its not his best work...

that is, unless i am getting the names confused, or ol AH did a typo...
Prime Mover
Poster is cover from Sprawl Maps (1994) but I don't ever remember seeing it as a poster.

Edit: Claiming mint to near mint condition, but in the pic you can see the corner missing. Folds are small, smaller then SR book size...promo poster?
Edit: Folds similar to first poster you linked and this one, had to be a promo. http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage....sid=1&vgp=0
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 27 2009, 11:21 PM) *
If someone can provide me a copy of the manga (or a script thereof), even temporarily, I can make a translation.

~J

Would finding you a raw scan be okay? I could see if one of the random translation groups has it in an archive they picked up along the way.

I seem to remember someone talking about the manga before on here, and I wanted to say it was you, AH. Or maybe I was digging up Shadowrun stuff and stumbled across it. I just get the feeling that I've seen it before and heard someone talking about it.
McCummhail
There are actually some really interesting shadowrun books available only in Japan.
I find the play example books fascinating.
Books that present examples of play in a novel / comic / rules fashion to help integrate new players (because pen and paper role playing is really niche over there).

I can also assist with any translations. I will look for scans after work.
hobgoblin
ye freakin lolita...
Method
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 10 2009, 07:04 AM) *
The auctioneer claims it is for Shadowrun Third Edition, which I doubt since FASA closed long before then.
Huh? FASA published the first several printings of SR3 before going out of business.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Dec 10 2009, 11:46 AM) *
Would finding you a raw scan be okay? I could see if one of the random translation groups has it in an archive they picked up along the way.

That's more or less what I was hinting at with the "script" bit; I could probably work from a real script as well, but context can be a pain smile.gif

~J
Ancient History
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 10 2009, 08:40 PM) *
Huh? FASA published the first several printings of SR3 before going out of business.

You're right, my tired brain was thinking of Fourth Edition.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 10 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Always beware buying German SR novels, or at the very least do a quick online translation before you bid. This item, for example, is a German translation of Find Your Own Truth, the third novel in Shadowrun's Secrets of Power trilogy - and which you can get in English for about a buck plus shipping. That said, the Germans have produced their own original and unique Shadowrun novels. Which are all in German.

which, for the most part, suck ass . .
Ancient History
I can't throw stones.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 10 2009, 05:58 PM) *
That's more or less what I was hinting at with the "script" bit; I could probably work from a real script as well, but context can be a pain smile.gif

~J

Heh, I wasn't sure how kosher discussing fanscans are, but sometimes its worth being direct, y'know? Especially as they were never licensed over here, so technically...

(Mods, I'll remove this if you think its not kosher)
KarmaInferno
I don't suppose these T-shirts are legit, then?

Pity, I would like to have a "S" logo shirt in black like that.

Well, there's also the fact that if someone really was crazy enough to drop the cash on a set of the manga and then send them to me, I don't want to discourage them wink.gif

Doing a little searching, I can't find anything else by the author (斉木一馬), or even a page that uses the name that isn't about the Shadowrun manga; it may be a throwaway pen name, or maybe it's just someone who didn't make it (or didn't decide to continue) in the manga business. Lots of sites list the manga's existence, but I can't find any that actually have it for sale or list a review.

Wait! Ok, I found someone who claims to have read it, and they say there are a lot of interesting characters. That's… not very informative, but at least I have evidence that there exists someone who has read this series, and that they liked it.

(I also discovered that geocities.co.jp is still operating. How about that?)

~J
Kagetenshi
More info:

The writer of the manga apparently worked on eromanga in the late '80s/early '90s under the name 未津島えり (this isn't uncommon at all, in terms of ways to get started in the business). The commentator I found (here) seems to think that after the Shadowrun manga was finished the writer changed pen names again and went back to eromanga, but doesn't know the new pen name (and it isn't clear on what basis the page author thinks that).

~J
Ancient History
Would you want to go into excruciating detail about your knowledge of eromanga?
Mr. Man
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Dec 10 2009, 12:05 PM) *
There are actually some really interesting shadowrun books available only in Japan.
I find the play example books fascinating.

There was a thread about this a few years ago, unfortunately all the image links in the first post are broken. Here's what I could pull from archive.org:

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ May 17 2004, 04:16 PM) *
Draco18s
404'ing chummer.
Kagetenshi
Elf and Ork is simple transliteration.

The page explaining drain: in the first panel, the character getting nailed with a spell says something that I can clearly identify but can't understand the meaning of (it's the name of a former country in Japan). Below that, the caption says "Lesson: powerful spells wear you out easily!" (alternately: "the ease with which you tire yourself out is related to the power of your spells!"). The girl says "It's that kind of thing… ha ha ha". The guy says "Is that really all you have to say?"

The armor explanation: side caption: "Damage Resistance". Caption for the girl: "Unarmored". Caption for the guy: "Armored Jacket". Speech bubble: "Let's run an experiment, shall we? The difference in the defensive power between these two…". Next panel: "What will happen if we shoot them with a gun?" Last panel, girl's caption: "all torn up" or "in tatters", guy's caption: "somehow fine", guy's speech bubble: "Hey! That was dangerous!", final speech bubble: "Whenever possible, avoid getting into shooting fights [gunfights] without protective gear."

Pool explanation: title: "Dice pools are?" Guy: "Hmm… even if I roll the dice normally, there's no way [it's no good], it seems [I guess]…", Girl: "…At times like this:", second panel sign: "dice pool", guy: "add the dice pool…", last panel: "fight with numbers of dice!" (not really able to come up with a good translation for this; it makes sense in the original).

The guns are just transliterations of the name (the lower two items being a monowhip and an Ares Predator).

Last explanation: "A successful test is…?" Middle panel: "roll a number of dice equal to the rating of the skill or ability in use." Guy in the corner: "don't throw them!" Lower right panel: "if the individual dice are equal to or greater than the target number, success!" Right Bunnygirl: "Wonderful!" Left Bunnygirl "Congratulations!". Lower left panel: "in the event that all are 1s, it's an absolute failure!"

They curiously don't discuss non-botch failures.

~J
McCummhail
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 13 2009, 02:38 PM) *
The page explaining drain: in the first panel, the character getting nailed with a spell says something that I can clearly identify but can't understand the meaning of (it's the name of a former country in Japan). Below that, the caption says "Lesson: powerful spells wear you out easily!" (alternately: "the ease with which you tire yourself out is related to the power of your spells!"). The girl says "It's that kind of thing… ha ha ha". The guy says "Is that really all you have to say?"
~J

It's worth noting that Bizen is a method of pottery firing named after the ancient province,
alternately, just the kanji could lead us to "before prepared" making it a delectable pun.

I was reading about the comic on a site and they went on for a while about how nostalgic it was to think about the comic.
The comic drew from a lot of new source material not yet available in print in Japan when it was released,
so a number of people remarked on being surprised by adepts and such in the comic.

Still have yet to find any scripts or anything useful though.
It was a very niche product.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 13 2009, 09:54 AM) *
Would you want to go into excruciating detail about your knowledge of eromanga?

Well, actually...
Kagetenshi
I apparently can't leave this alone: after some more searching, it appears that the author of the Shadowrun manga did some more eromanga work for a small magazine under the name 有冬伊里; it doesn't look like a collection was ever released under that name.

~J
Blade
Dibs on the official Shadowrun eromanga when it appears on e-bay wink.gif
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Blade @ Dec 14 2009, 07:16 AM) *
Dibs on the official Shadowrun eromanga when it appears on e-bay wink.gif

So you're eagerly awaiting the hot new release of Red in Tooth and Claw then, huh?

I tried poking my way through my usual suspects for raws and came up short. Then again, a lot of my logins have expired, so no dice there.

And I'd love to have a discussion of eromanga artists that have and haven't gone legit. It's a fun piece of trivia.
Draco18s
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Dec 14 2009, 09:33 AM) *
So you're eagerly awaiting the hot new release of Red in Tooth and Claw then, huh?

Was that the Ryumyo/Lung slash fiction Chrysalis wrote?
Kagetenshi
I had some Dunkelzahn/Damien Knight slashfic back in the day.

~J
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 14 2009, 10:46 AM) *
Was that the Ryumyo/Lung slash fiction Chrysalis wrote?

It's the name of the Ryumyo / Lung slash manga that I used to have a sig message for, but I don't remember if they were the subject of Chrys' story either. I'll have to go back and read that.
Draco18s
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Dec 14 2009, 12:42 PM) *
It's the name of the Ryumyo / Lung slash manga that I used to have a sig message for, but I don't remember if they were the subject of Chrys' story either. I'll have to go back and read that.

It was Ryumyo and Lung, I checked my PMs before making the post (yeah, I didn't delete it).
Bull
Yeah, we're drifting off the subject here a bit (And into territory best left private. Take it to PM or IRC smile.gif)
Ancient History
I don't understand this one. More explicitly, I don't understand why it was cut out of the comic book. So you can frame it? Do people do that outside of bad Bruce Sterling novels? For $5.99 I hope it comes with a frame. Or the rest of the comic book.
ravensmuse
There's a small fanbase for ephemera like that. Someone will probably frame it and stick it in their collection room.
Ancient History
I don't much go in for Shadowrun minis. Not my thing for gaming. I do have quite a few due to various opportunities here and there - dragons, immortal elves, deep discount bins and going-out-of-business sales - this one deserves a mention, however. It's a Ral Partha sculpt for FASA, part of the minis released for 3rd edition, and which (in my experience at least) are harder to find, probably due to FASA buying Ral Partha and then shutting its doors...anyway, pricewise you can actually find this model cheaper from Ral Partha's successor Iron Winds.

White Wolf Magazine #33; I mentioned magazines a page or two ago and this is another example. A modicum of research (I had to get off my hairy red ass and walk over to my shelf, y'all can just bing it or check pen-paper.net) reveals that this is a brief Shadowrun adventure set in New Orleans. Published long before Hurricane Katrina and (small aside) Beyond the Storm: Shadows of the Big Easy.

I know I said I wasn't much of one for minis, but I do love me some Grenadier boxed sets. Maybe not this particular one, but others I have known. I remember them fondly, like the pain from an old wound.

Earthdawn art might seem only tangentially related (and it is), but I just couldn't justify plugging the Earl Grier pieces that always seem to be up there. Not that Earl Grier isn't a good artist who has done some great pieces for Shadowrun; many an old-timer remembers his insect spirit merges with fond nightmares. It's just that I'm pretty damn sure most of those have been sold already.
hobgoblin
heh, slow day?
Straight Razor
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 27 2009, 11:56 PM) *

what are on the pages that are blacked out? I have wondered that for years...
Ancient History
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 26 2009, 11:23 PM) *
heh, slow day?

Anything to get away from the 24 December fiction.

what are on the pages that are blacked out? I have wondered that for years...

Improved Personal Explosive (IPE) grenades and Firepower™ ammo. Due to changes between SR1 and SR2, these two pieces of gear became obsolete.
hobgoblin
ah yes, i recall the firepower entry from the back pages of SR2, saying it no longer applied.
Ancient History
Couple winners here...first up, a complete set of the Shadowrun Manga for what I reckon is a pretty reasonable price as these things go.

Also in the international field, a (currently very cheap) run of Ausralian Realms Magazine, with its Shadowrun articles.

A bit of a rare item - I didn't even know this existed - a Secrets of Power Trilogy Gift Set, unopened and with the slipcase box intact and minty fresh. I was at first a bit skeptical since I'd never even heard of a gift set of these books, but it appears legit.

Finally, one for the strangeness pile: Shadowrun 3rd Edition in a binder. Literally, it looks like somebody tore the book apart. Each page appears separately bagged and there are little tabs dividing chapters. While I abhor book butchery, this does seem to be a highly practical item for the discerning gamemaster (of an SR3 game), and the price is right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012