Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Latin America?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 18 2010, 12:09 PM) *
What Jay said. None of the writers have been paid, so their stuff still belongs to them. I was just pointing out that some nations will be covered in 6WA.
So you could spill then? Montevideo?
FlakJacket
Well I suppose that depends on whether they're still holding out hope of it being used in future books or not.
etherial
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jan 18 2010, 09:05 PM) *
Well I suppose that depends on whether they're still holding out hope of it being used in future books or not.

Bingo.
Snow_Fox
But we have word from the official source

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jan 16 2010, 06:17 PM) *
I can't remember if I officially said this on Dumpshock before, but here it is: Shadows of Latin America, in the form in which it was written several years ago, will not be released in any way, at least not as long as I'm SR developer. It's old, it's obsolete, and the headaches involved in getting it into shape to be released are not worth the gain of having it out there.

That seems pretty complete. unless they are planning a coup. And so...

I'm watching inherit the wind and feel litigous.
etherial
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 19 2010, 09:53 PM) *
But we have word from the official source

Word from the official source doesn't say "not a single word of this book will ever be published by us". As a matter of fact, the opposite is true, they're using bits and pieces of it for the Sixth World Almanac.
Ancient History
QUOTE (etherial @ Jan 20 2010, 05:47 PM) *
Word from the official source doesn't say "not a single word of this book will ever be published by us". As a matter of fact, the opposite is true, they're using bits and pieces of it for the Sixth World Almanac.

For reference. None of the verbiage in 6WA is taken whole and unaltered from the SoLA drafts.
etherial
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 20 2010, 12:53 PM) *
For reference. None of the verbiage in 6WA is taken whole and unaltered from the SoLA drafts.

Well, duh.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 20 2010, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE (etherial @ Jan 20 2010, 11:02 AM) *
Well, duh.

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 19 2010, 07:53 PM) *
I'm watching inherit the wind and feel litigous.

That's why "For reference"-like statements proliferate.
Demonseed Elite
There's a number of reasons why you don't see us just posting SoLA. Some people held out hope of it being published as a PDF-only release. Others hoped that some pieces of it could be re-used elsewhere (and some parts were). Then there's the consideration that since the material belongs to the authors who wrote it, one author can't release the material another author wrote. And some of the original freelancers are hold to get in contact with these days.

But, seeing as how it's been five years since I wrote my SoLA material and I'm no longer even a Shadowrun freelancer, enjoy!

SoLA - Aztlan
SoLA - The Caribbean League
Other Info for Aztlan and The Carib League

Keep in mind that those are final drafts, but they are still drafts. They never underwent a final editorial pass and in the five years since I wrote them, there are definitely things I would have changed or revised.
Snow_Fox
TY though I'll admit I'm surprised Aztlan was inlcuded, after all that got it's own SB.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 20 2010, 09:44 PM) *
TY though I'll admit I'm surprised Aztlan was inlcuded, after all that got it's own SB.

Yeah, though keep in mind that the Aztlan SB was released in 1995. It was already a decade old when I wrote that SoLA chapter!

And Shadows of Latin America without one of the two largest nations in Latin America would have been a bit strange.
Ancient History
Ah, hell, I can't let Jay do this alone. Here's my final draft for French Guiana - the first SR material I ever wrote!

http://www.box.net/shared/467shbmtzu

[/edit]BTW, there is a version of the story of how I got dragged into SoLA, and thus freelancing in the first place, in my Shadownotes
kanislatrans
sweetness! TY both... grinbig.gif
pbangarth
Thank you kindly, gentlemen.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 18 2010, 11:28 AM) *
Oh, I know. In fact, there's a guy on another board I hang out on that still has a preorder slip for it from Gamestop - from '98.

I'm just saying that there's a joke there, it just isn't coming to me.

Ok, that joke.. was so dry... no one is ever going to get it. wink.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jan 21 2010, 03:30 AM) *

So the Azzie religion might be serving a guy who goes by the handle "The Enemy"...am I the only one feeling that pleasant creepiness of a sinister conspiracy?
Stahlseele
Sag mir jetzt bitte nicht, dass du das grade eben erst gemerkt hast? O.o
Ancient History
Geben Sie dem Kind einen Bruch.
Sengir
Aztech dealing with sinister forces for power with a devil-may-care attitude to the consequences is old news, but that the whole Aztec revival thing is (and possibly always was) nothing but a cover for a whole nation worshipping The Enemy would indeed be news to me.
Ophis
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 21 2010, 02:48 PM) *
Aztech dealing with sinister forces for power with a devil-may-care attitude to the consequences is old news, but that the whole Aztec revival thing is (and possibly always was) nothing but a cover for a whole nation worshipping The Enemy would indeed be news to me.

I always figured that was the point.

Demonseed Elite I'm bummed to hear you're no longer freelancing SR at all.
Sengir
QUOTE (Ophis @ Jan 21 2010, 03:57 PM) *
I always figured that was the point.

Hmmm...my understanding always was that Aztech's magical "enterprises" are simply the equivalent to other corps' blantant disregard for environmental damages or their workers' safety - no sinister plans, they just don't give a damn. Did I seriously manage to be too naive about the corp/state I always played as the big, bad guys?
Ophis
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 21 2010, 03:27 PM) *
Hmmm...my understanding always was that Aztech's magical "enterprises" are simply the equivalent to other corps' blantant disregard for environmental damages or their workers' safety - no sinister plans, they just don't give a damn. Did I seriously manage to be too naive about the corp/state I always played as the big, bad guys?

Well the old Aztalan Source Book and Threats (Blood Mage Gestalt) covered a lot of it plus implication/evidence in several novels. I've been reading sourcebooks since the early nineties and the Azzies have always had an air of something more than greed going on, I think Shadowbeat has hints in the sports section.
Prime Mover
We need a score card for the evil that resides behind Aztec. Blood mages, corrupt dragons, Mr. Darke, the "enemy", etc.....
I wish someone would help us with a flow chart of command and level of evilness.
Oh and thanks for posts guys.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 21 2010, 03:31 PM) *

please, don't try to german again ._.
Ophis
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 21 2010, 05:36 PM) *

Wow.

GERMAN IS A VERB NOW!!!!

Neato.

Can I get translations please (or a linguasoft).
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Ophis @ Jan 21 2010, 12:58 PM) *

"Give to the child a break." Thats the translation my linguasoft gives me.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 21 2010, 05:36 PM) *

Fair enow. You'd think I'd learn my lesson after "Sprechen sie Drachen?"
Rotbart van Dainig
Thanks for the material, Demonseed Elite & Ancient History notworthy.gif
QUOTE (Ophis @ Jan 21 2010, 07:58 PM) *

"Give the kid a break."

However, while "break" is used as "pause" in english, the direct translation into the german "Bruch" would mean "fracture" or "hernia" in context.
BishopMcQ
Well, maybe AH was just being a little kinky...
Ryu
What Stahlseele said translates to "Don't say to me now please that you noticed degrees evenly only?".

Or not.

Aztlan Happiness. Much obliged. notworthy.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jan 21 2010, 06:16 PM) *
We need a score card for the evil that resides behind Aztec. Blood mages, corrupt dragons, Mr. Darke, the "enemy", etc.....
I wish someone would help us with a flow chart of command and level of evilness.

The sourcebooks should definitly list corporate and individual evilness in Hitlers (which is the official unit for evilness) biggrin.gif

And what Stahlseele said was "please dont tell me you only noticed that just now".
Prime Mover
After reading the Aztec section I caught the tie in with the Smoke Mirror society in DotA II. I like stuff like that.

EDTI So many loose ends in SR history its nice to see snippets of info get some support & extension.
Bira
I remember being involved in SOLA back at the beginning, but I can't really say I was an actual contributor, as I dropped from the project after leaving a few suggestions, since I wasn't really good at working with the previous canon on the region. I'm glad they managed to turn my half-baked ideas into something awesome smile.gif. Seeing mentions of M'Boi and Metrópole always brings a smile to my face smile.gif.
TW
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 21 2010, 10:31 AM) *

You know, you could have just pinged me to translate wink.gif

Ancient History
QUOTE (TW @ Jan 22 2010, 07:41 PM) *
You know, you could have just pinged me to translate wink.gif

You weren't online!
BRodda
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jan 16 2010, 08:23 PM) *
any chance of a "Shadows of Antarctica" in the future? grinbig.gif

You REALLY don't want to see Antarctica in my SR universe. It is home to some of the most Top Secret research and weapons development in the world.

Some highlights:

Background count of -6 in most outside areas. Some of the labs have greenhouse/zoos if they are doing magical research. (Similar to the Ares space station.) The stuff they are working on is so bleeding edge and dangerous they use the surrounding background count to keep the effects from going global.

Bio-warfare and retrovirus research. Some of it is for new plagues others are for doing genetic reconstruction of a person's chromosomes and DNA/RNA. Nasty stuff.

Nanotech research. I think we can all guess why.

So basically you have isolated research compounds that have visibility to the horizon, carte blanch to destroy anything they see (no lost tourists) and a background count that makes anyone who is not an Initiate powerless.
Snow_Fox
and it was already covered, in detail, in Target Wastelands.
McDougle
"Geben sie dem Kind einen Bruch."

U just made my day. XD

Es regnet Hunde und Katzen. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
actually, that's the correct translation of "it's raining cats and dogs" only with cats and dogs switched.
and i don't remember the "Sprechen sie Drachen?" bit, what's that all about?
Ancient History
A t-shirt slogan that was used for Shadowrun one year at the cons, underneath a Saeder-Krupp flag or something. I suggested it, a couple Germans starting foaming at the mouth, and supposedly they sold really well. I never got one though. frown.gif
Stahlseele
Ah.
Well, it's HORRIBLE german, but it's funny enough.
I would buy one ^^
BRodda
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 23 2010, 03:57 PM) *
A t-shirt slogan that was used for Shadowrun one year at the cons, underneath a Saeder-Krupp flag or something. I suggested it, a couple Germans starting foaming at the mouth, and supposedly they sold really well. I never got one though. frown.gif

Foaming in a good way or bad way?
Stahlseele
A foaming german is usually the sign that someone is going to have a REALLY bad day.
Larsine
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 23 2010, 10:39 PM) *
A foaming german is usually the sign that someone is going to have a REALLY bad day.

Especially if that foaming german also speaks "Drachen".

Lars
Stahlseele
*twitch twitch*
Well, the roaring is about right anyway . .
Ancient History
It's the kind of German that only makes sense if your native language is American.
Snow_Fox
I just thought adding lots of 'v's and 'd's to a word and shouting like :
"Vhere is dee vodka!"
Counted as German. Am I wrong? scatter.gif oh dear.
Stahlseele
That sounds more like a polish/russian/generally that area east europe accent.
Saint Sithney
Jah, Germans are generally more concerned mit "ze microfilm."
piotrus
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 16 2010, 11:53 AM) *

Right. So does our English language wiki. Anybody still remembers we have one? smile.gif

(kudos to FlakJacket for brining it up before I did biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 16 2010, 07:11 PM) *
The world circa 2010 has more than a hundred and forty nations, depending on which ones you recognize. For various reasons, a complete review on all of the nations in the 2070s would be...impractical. (Not that I didn't argue vehemently for it).

That's what the wiki is for (category for countries on SR wiki).

Frankly, I books look nice on the shelves, but if you want usable reference, wikis are the way to go. Which reminds me, I need to go back to my Seattle gang project, now that I got Seattle 2072 smile.gif

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 23 2010, 03:57 PM) *

Love that t-shirt. You guys should sell them online, if you haven't done that already. They seem to sell out quickly at all the cons I've seen them being offered at. What was offered after SK and Aztlan? I need to update my wardrobe biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012