Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Latin America?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
SJE
So, Shadows of Latin America- is this the most obscure SR book out there? Is it available to buy anywhere in either hardcopy or PDF? What happened to that 6th of the world? (Is it all Amazonia, all the time?)

Thx.

SJE

Edit: I've put together the links the authors provide further into this thread in a sectino all it's own for easy reference. Thanks again guys.
Community Projects - Compiled Links to SoLA provided by the writers
Ancient History
In order:
No, there is the The Boo Scary Shadowrun Book of the Night (working title).
No, it was never released for sale.
The drafts were referenced in writing most SR4 books, and substantial material was drawn from it for the upcoming Sixth World Almanac, which should answer those questions.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (SJE @ Jan 15 2010, 05:54 PM) *
So, Shadows of Latin America- is this the most obscure SR book out there? Is it available to buy anywhere in either hardcopy or PDF? What happened to that 6th of the world? (Is it all Amazonia, all the time?)

Thx.

SJE

Shh, to speak of such things is forbidden. I know posters who have delved into the dark secrets and had their souls dragged screaming into the flaming pits of hell. The only worse blasphemy would be to mention Holostreets.

.Drek! now I've done it! Now where is that Banishing Incantation..Ah, here it is.... SR4A LE....Nooooooo! Noooooo!! Begone foul demons!!!!! By the power of Dunklezahn and The Immortal Elves I rebuke yo.......AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

grinbig.gif

Adarael
The first rule of Holostreet Club is that you don't talk about Holostreet Club.
Adarael
Why the heck does my connection keep double posting? Time to reboot, heck.
Stahlseele
Shun the non believer
Platinum
Don't listen to these clowns. It's due out April 1, from Holostreets.
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (SJE @ Jan 15 2010, 02:54 PM) *

Thx.

SJE

Based on info in the books released by Catalyst in 4th Ed, there are still independent South American Nations. Aztlan has indeed taken over all of Central America, and it seems like Amazonia owns a pretty fair sized chunk of South America (Brazil and the topmost nations of the continent)... interestingly enough making it a nation with citizens who speak at least 4 or 5 different languages. The newly released Vice book also names nearly all the other South American nations, nearly all of them seemingly independent; though it does mention that Ecuador, Bolivia, and Paraguay are client states of Amazonia.
Snow_Fox
There are rumors that Synner was going to release it on the net but the bar he was in mysteruiously exploded before he could fully upload the file. I asked Bitten By the Bug (remember her) to travel to Portugal to see what happened on the ground but she hasn't been heard from since.
Sengir
All copies of SOLA (both electronic and paper) were destroyed by a mysterious fighting force, probably the same which later razed all data on the Augmentation Errata. The only clue about their identity were insignias showing the outline of Minnesota and the Number 331 stiched on it, hence CGL has internally named them "Minnesota Tribe".

Shadowhelix also has a map of South America dated on 2060. Unfortunately there is no info where it is from.
Nath
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 16 2010, 05:53 PM) *
Shadowhelix also has a map of South America dated on 2060. Unfortunately there is no info where it is from.
The map comes from Wordman's The Sixth World: A geographical index to the world of Shadowrun. His maps were IIRC after the release of Year of the Comet. Concerning Latin America, Wake of the Comet and Shadows of Europe told us French Guiana remained as a dependency of France.
JM Hardy
I can't remember if I officially said this on Dumpshock before, but here it is: Shadows of Latin America, in the form in which it was written several years ago, will not be released in any way, at least not as long as I'm SR developer. It's old, it's obsolete, and the headaches involved in getting it into shape to be released are not worth the gain of having it out there.

As Bobby mentioned, though, SoLA was a significant source of info for the Sixth World Almanac, so you'll see good material in there. That means write-ups on Argentina, Aztlan, Amazonia, and Peru, along with maps of each individual nation. And of course, in that big, lovely, wonderful full-world map that will be included in the Almanac, you'll get a full map of the continent. And then there's War!, which will have quite a lot of information about the fine city of Bogota. So SoLA isn't coming out, but Latin America isn't being ignored.

Jason H.
Tyro
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jan 16 2010, 03:17 PM) *
I can't remember if I officially said this on Dumpshock before, but here it is: Shadows of Latin America, in the form in which it was written several years ago, will not be released in any way, at least not as long as I'm SR developer. It's old, it's obsolete, and the headaches involved in getting it into shape to be released are not worth the gain of having it out there.

As Bobby mentioned, though, SoLA was a significant source of info for the Sixth World Almanac, so you'll see good material in there. That means write-ups on Argentina, Aztlan, Amazonia, and Peru, along with maps of each individual nation. And of course, in that big, lovely, wonderful full-world map that will be included in the Almanac, you'll get a full map of the continent. And then there's War!, which will have quite a lot of information about the fine city of Bogota. So SoLA isn't coming out, but Latin America isn't being ignored.

Jason H.

THANK YOU for clearing this up! I've looked before, and I don't remember anyone saying it right out like that before.
Ancient History
I just want to clarify that I was completely honest in all parts of my original post.
Tyro
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 16 2010, 03:37 PM) *
I just want to clarify that I was completely honest in all parts of my original post.

I never said you weren't - you just didn't tell us everything ^_^
Ancient History
I never do. How else could I maintain my reputation?
Tyro
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 16 2010, 03:41 PM) *
I never do. How else could I maintain my reputation?

I suppose you have a point there. Come to think of it, didn't JM Hardy break the rules? Devs aren't SUPPOSED to say things right out. It ruins the mystery.
Ancient History
He's new. Give him time to adjust to the throne.

[/edit]Realistically, there was still some vague hope of releasing SoLA on Holostreets. Of course, Holostreets (among other things) has been an evil dream for more than a little while now, for reasons that cannot be spoken...
kanislatrans
but now we have one less thing to bitch about here on DS. frown.gif
grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
Ancient History
Yeah, no. I don't see that ever happening. Eighteen years and five editions from now, on Dumpshock 10.0 The Crash Anniversary Edition, someone will still ask about SoLA.
Wintermute85
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jan 16 2010, 08:17 PM) *

Jason H.

What, no love for Chile? Geez. You know, the country that's both neighbors with Argentina and Peru?
Ancient History
The world circa 2010 has more than a hundred and forty nations, depending on which ones you recognize. For various reasons, a complete review on all of the nations in the 2070s would be...impractical. (Not that I didn't argue vehemently for it).
Wintermute85
Of course, but Chile is an important nation of Latin America nowadays and I don't see a reason to not see at least a blurb about it on the Almanac.
Ancient History
It's not that Chile isn't mentioned, it's just not given the four-star treatment of, say, Amazonia or Aztlan.
Platinum
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 16 2010, 07:11 PM) *
The world circa 2010 has more than a hundred and forty nations, depending on which ones you recognize. For various reasons, a complete review on all of the nations in the 2070s would be...impractical. (Not that I didn't argue vehemently for it).

Should not be that bad. 75% of the world die off in plagues. Life expectancy goes down. Should not be hard to keep some status quo and, nerf and merge others.
Ancient History
We did some of that, certainly. Did some balkanization too.
kanislatrans
any chance of a "Shadows of Antarctica" in the future? grinbig.gif
Ancient History
Just as soon as I get approval for my Empire of Penguins that summon ice elementals.
toturi
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jan 17 2010, 07:17 AM) *

Jason H.

Why do I have this mental image of Mr Hardy stripped to his leather underpants, a red cloak around his shoulders and holding a shield and a spear?
Sengir
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jan 17 2010, 12:17 AM) *
And then there's War!, which will have quite a lot of information about the fine city of Bogota.

First tidbit I hear about War! and already liking it love.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 17 2010, 09:25 AM) *
Just as soon as I get approval for my Empire of Penguins that summon ice elementals.

Warform Penguins. With Ares MP Laser 3s.
Da9iel
Am I the only one who read "MP3 Lasers?"
hobgoblin
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jan 17 2010, 02:23 AM) *
any chance of a "Shadows of Antarctica" in the future? grinbig.gif

target: wastelands sounds like the ticket.

still, anyone for a war between drop bears and the empire of penguins?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Da9iel @ Jan 17 2010, 04:52 AM) *
Am I the only one who read "MP3 Lasers?"

in SR, are the *AA's and their international variants all folded into some corporate court division?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Nath @ Jan 16 2010, 06:42 PM) *
The map comes from Wordman's The Sixth World: A geographical index to the world of Shadowrun. His maps were IIRC after the release of Year of the Comet. Concerning Latin America, Wake of the Comet and Shadows of Europe told us French Guiana remained as a dependency of France.

Just to let people know Lester's Sixth World site has now been superseded by the Sixth World Wiki, Sixth World Wiki, basically his site transferred over to a wiki and hosted by the good people here at dumpshock. As such it's free for anyone to use and edit, the only main rules are that you use only canon references and don't quote massive chunks of the books. It's been updated post Year of the Comet sporadically here and there but there's still a lot to do. Also need to update the maps as well since they're rather out of date.

Anyway, back to one of the original questions. The canon nations of South America so far are Aztlan by dint of owning Colombia and north-west Venezuela, Amazonia as the local 800-pound gorilla on the block, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and a much reduced Venezuela - both Amazonia and Aztlan tried to invade taking roughly half the country each and leaving a small rump state around Caracas left. As Nath mentioned French Guiana is still a part of France as a overseas department which they still use to launch satellites from near Kourou. I'm sure I've also seen somewhere mentioned that the Falkland Islands are still British but I can't say for certain on that one as it might be me misremembering.
SJE
OK, thanks for clearing that up- any idea in which quarter the 6th Worlde Almanack will come out in?

Thx

SJE
toturi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 17 2010, 04:07 PM) *
target: wastelands sounds like the ticket.

still, anyone for a war between drop bears and the empire of penguins?

A New Drop?
Penguins Strike Back?
Return of the Bear?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 17 2010, 02:25 AM) *

Not before we get the Shadowrun: IIN SPAACEE Book ^^
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 17 2010, 10:38 AM) *
A New Drop?
Penguins Strike Back?
Return of the Bear?

And the prequel grinbig.gif

The Camouflaged Menace
The attack of the SEALS (got it? wobble.gif )
Revenge of the Penguim
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 16 2010, 06:37 PM) *
You too?

As for JM Hardy's post, well that;s what the man would want us to think, right?
The Jake
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 16 2010, 11:52 PM) *
Yeah, no. I don't see that ever happening. Eighteen years and five editions from now, on Dumpshock 10.0 The Crash Anniversary Edition, someone will still ask about SoLA.

SoLA is to SR what Duke Nukem Forever is to the gaming industry.

- J.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (SJE @ Jan 17 2010, 07:00 AM) *
OK, thanks for clearing that up- any idea in which quarter the 6th Worlde Almanack will come out in?

Thx

SJE

I'm gonna go with 2nd.

JM Hardy
ravensmuse
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 17 2010, 06:59 PM) *

- J.

There's an awesome joke here, but it's just not coming to me.
Tyro
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 17 2010, 03:59 PM) *

- J.

I believe that sentiment has been expressed before on these boards. It's worth repeating if so.
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 17 2010, 08:13 PM) *
There's an awesome joke here, but it's just not coming to me.

Duke Nukem Forever has been "coming out in the near future" or similar since 1997. Link HERE.
Snow_Fox
The problem with ont covering south america is that Amazonia is a big part of that and is effectivley a blind spot in a game world where we havethe freaking antartic covered. I'm personally interested in Uraguy and in particular Montevideo harbor.

Just as an appeal to the line developer, is it is considered so out of date and archaic and doomed to not be revised, could you then, since it is such a worthless piece, release the authors from their non-disclosure clauses so they might share their idea?
Ancient History
Amazonia and some other Latin American countries will be covered in the Sixth World Almanac.
Snow_Fox
and my suggestion that they waive the non-disclosure clause on the other stuff that has been declared hopelessly useless and outdated by the official voice?
Demonseed Elite
The writers aren't under any such restrictions.
Ancient History
What Jay said. None of the writers have been paid, so their stuff still belongs to them. I was just pointing out that some nations will be covered in 6WA.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jan 18 2010, 01:04 AM) *
Duke Nukem Forever has been "coming out in the near future" or similar since 1997. Link HERE.

Oh, I know. In fact, there's a guy on another board I hang out on that still has a preorder slip for it from Gamestop - from '98.

I'm just saying that there's a joke there, it just isn't coming to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012