Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Melee Attack as a complex action?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Octopiii
I have been considering House ruling ranged defense when the attacker is at less than 1 meter (melee combat range) as being relevant melee skill + reaction. My reason is that modern hand to hand combat training includes defending against attackers with guns. It also gives everyone a reason to pick up some melee combat. This would be in addition to the Attacker in Melee combat -3 modifier.

Any thoughts?
Ol' Scratch
If the attacker is in melee combat modifier is in play, that means the defender should be able to use their melee combat abilities anyway. Since, you know, they're in melee combat. I didn't know that required a house rule. I'm too lazy to look it up though.
Darkeus
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Mar 30 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Keep in mind that the Simple Action used to fire a gun isn't just pulling the trigger. It also includes the mental processes including choosing your target and deciding where to aim. The rules really don't support pulling the trigger blindly as quickly as you can, even with autofire. These are all deliberated, thought-out actions.

And yes, you're supposed to see melee as a rapid exchange of blows. Just like in any martial arts film ever produced by man. smile.gif

EDIT: Oops, wrong clip.

Deep down, I knew that had to be a movie with Cynthia Rothrock... She is a very talented martial artist but she has been in some of the corniest kung-fu flicks I have EVER SEEN!
Octopiii
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 18 2010, 09:35 PM) *
If the attacker is in melee combat modifier is in play, that means the defender should be able to use their melee combat abilities anyway. Since, you know, they're in melee combat. I didn't know that required a house rule. I'm too lazy to look it up though.

The only things I see regarding ranged combat at melee distances:

Attacker in melee combat: -3
Target Point Blank: +2
Defender in Melee targeted by Ranged attack: -3

I'll be charitable and say that the last condition does not apply if the ranged attack is coming from the guy you're in melee combat with.
Ol' Scratch
I'm not talking about modifiers. I'm talking about the proposed house rule. The shooter isn't in ranged combat; he's in melee combat, making a 'melee attack,' but is simply using a ranged weapon to do so. Hence "attacker is in melee combat." Thus he takes his modifier and the defender should be able to use his melee abilities to defend against it normally. I didn't know that actually required a house rule; that's how I've always ruled it and played it in the past.
Octopiii
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 18 2010, 10:27 PM) *
I'm not talking about modifiers. I'm talking about the proposed house rule. The shooter isn't in ranged combat; he's in melee combat, making a 'melee attack,' but is simply using a ranged weapon to do so. Hence "attacker is in melee combat." Thus he takes his modifier and the defender should be able to use his melee abilities to defend against it normally. I didn't know that actually required a house rule; that's how I've always ruled it and played it in the past.

So you would have a ranged attack take a complex action if it were in melee range?

From SR4a p. 156:

"Whenever two or more characters engage in combat... that does not involve ranged weapons, the following melee rules apply."

Edit: Forgot the word "not". Kind of crucial, there. nyahnyah.gif
Ol' Scratch
Nope.

And to quote myself again: "I didn't know that actually required a house rule." Notice the use of a past tense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012