Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers & Tac Nets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
D2F
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 9 2010, 11:40 AM) *
I can argue, however, that we should abide by the core book that says "what is not expressively forbidden is legal", and not a restrictive "if it is not explicitly mentioned as legal, it is forbidden", which is what your stance is. RAW, if you will, dictate the first stance, though.

While that is true, it is also interpretation, not RAW. If your interpretation seems unbalanced and a different interpretation of the same rules seems balanced, which is the rational way to go?
Are you fairly entitled to claim a rule overpowered if you choose the interpretation that specifically supports your notion, when a balanced alternative would be available? I don't think so.

Why 9? We need 7, don't we? Although sprites count, and therefore, hjust putting soe into surveillance drones should do the trick.

Max bonus = number of team members - 2
So yes, you need 9.

Diagnosis power, but it seems hard to apply this to tacnets, unless you count it as aiding whoever uses the tacnet. IT'd also add (power*2)/3, not it's power. Page reference would be for the German basic book and as such useless to you, but here you go: pp 236.

That power does not add anything to a device's ratings. It adds bonus dice to a task it assists, nothing more. It will not increase the sensor rating to the nescessary 14.
Harbin
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 8 2010, 03:53 PM) *
Yeah... How many Technomancers actually tell their teammates that they are a Technomancer?

Keep the Faith

Absolutely. Or at least, that's how mine has played it.
LurkerOutThere
Hermit I didn't come down on you in the other thread because honestly I don't have the time. But as others have pointed out your feelings about technomancers being overpowered are based on a number of things that are either optional rules, wrong, or only the most extreme interpretation of the rules available. I STRONGLY suggest, though i doubt it will change your mind, that you re-read the matrix sections and the technomancer sections of unwired and once you get a better grip on the actual rules you might indeed see that TM's while specialized are just that, specialized.

The same reasonable precautions that protect your personal gear from a hacker also work on most technomancers. As with a hacker giving you grief if you are having problems with a technomancer, take out the non-electric safetied weapon of your choice and kill them. On a technomancer this will actually probly be easier as every hacker I know worthy of the name has at least some ware to make them more survivable in a fight.

Now one thing about technomancer I really really don't like is the ability to slave conventional devices to them making them unhackable. Personally, and i've house ruled this in my games and had no major complaints yet, you may either slave devices to yourself or you may be unhackable by normals, not both. So far it's stplit the balance rather well.
KnightRunner
Just curiuos, but I was wondering if anyone had added all the Karma costs together to see what it would take to build a character that can do everything Hermit has claimed a TM can easily do? It seems a lot of his arguments boil down to... throw enough Karma at one and a TM can do anything.

Which leads me to to a question. I understand that it may be technically possible for a TM to hack a Laser Crescent Axe by touch.....but how exactly is that accomplished while the Troll ganger is swinging the axe at said TM?
D2F
QUOTE (KnightRunner @ Apr 9 2010, 03:17 PM) *
Just curiuos, but I was wondering if anyone had added all the Karma costs together to see what it would take to build a character that can do everything Hermit has claimed a TM can easily do? It seems a lot of his arguments boil down to... throw enough Karma at one and a TM can do anything.

Which leads me to to a question. I understand that it may be technically possible for a TM to hack a Laser Crescent Axe by touch.....but how exactly is that accomplished while the Troll ganger is swinging the axe at said TM?

Depending on efficiency, we're talking about a 100-180 Karma Char here. Advanced, but not unreasonable. The problem is that the rules don't quite work the way he thinks they do (see Diagnostics power).
Westiex
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Apr 9 2010, 08:53 AM) *
Doesn't encrypting like that mean it'll take 24h to decrypt even with the PROPER password? It's used for highly precious information stored for later usage, not 'hot' connections, afaik.

Hard encryption is only available on nodes or wired connections. Any data passing wirelessly between two points (such as two runners in the same tacnet) can't be hard encrypted.

Why 9? We need 7, don't we? Although sprites count, and therefore, hjust putting soe into surveillance drones should do the trick.
Max bonus = number of team members - 2
So yes, you need 9.

So for a rating 7 tac net you would need *9* members each providing 14 sensors (Since each contributing member needs to supply tac net rating * 2 channels).
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 9 2010, 05:40 AM) *
Everything electronic is a node. Your toaster, your music player, your Victory massaging underpants. And if it has no node, it has an RFID. A mancer who has this electrotouch Echo can hack at touch, whether or not that node is even matrix capable. There you have it, your axe has been hacked.

There's no reason why this has to be true. If a weapon like this doesn't need a smart link, there's no reason it can't just have a switch. And lacking a good reason to have such a security hole, why would you make one like that? And there's *NO* reason why a shadowrunner would leave an RFID tag on something. Also, an RFID would give no *control* over the weapon. It would only let you track it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 9 2010, 03:07 AM) *
Invest 7 or 11 karma into an ECCM CF, and things that are actually able to jam you will be rare.

Indeed... But you will still be limited to your Resonance for the rating of the CF... this obviously does not account for Threading and the Submersion Abilities to compensate...

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 9 2010, 04:40 AM) *
Everything electronic is a node. Your toaster, your music player, your Victory massaging underpants. And if it has no node, it has an RFID. A mancer who has this electrotouch Echo can hack at touch, whether or not that node is even matrix capable. There you have it, your axe has been hacked.

Yeah, that RFID is really going to give you control over the weapon... Nice Try, but No...
And good luck touching it for long enough to actually hack it when it is being used to cleave you in twain...
Dumori
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 8 2010, 11:05 PM) *
simrig supplies 5 (sight/smell/sound/touch/taste), lowlight/IR/UV/Ultrasound Googles make 4, Biomonitor is another 1, Helmet with hearing amp, filter and selective damper is another 3, Smartlinked weaopons and googles/cyber is another +1 and then everybody gets a Sprite living in their googles for that last +1. And it doesn't even take any cyber, so the team mage can do this too. This would not even cost all that much.

Optional, but last time I looked it was in Runners' Companion, so yes, RAW. TacNets are hardcapped, capping even threading? Because a TacNet CF is not a program.

5 I'd say at least 6 a tacnet knowing where all your limbs are yes that our 6th sense then we have heat and pain separate from touch. so being picky you could get at least 8 from a simrig +1 for your emotive track. Might help the tac net some how. And that me being lose with the human senses...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012