Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun Rules Mistakes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
MindandPen
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 02:41 PM) *
My point is, "legitimately illegal software" makes no sense. Black IC is not legal for anyone to own or manufacture.

Renraku as an extraterritorial entity can use BlackHammer all it wants, within their enterprise, it is use outside Renraku that is a problem.

-M&P
Draco18s
QUOTE (MindandPen @ Apr 14 2010, 03:48 PM) *
Renraku as an extraterritorial entity can use BlackHammer all it wants, within their enterprise, it is use outside Renraku that is a problem.

IIRC, Black Hammer is banned by the Corporate Court, so no, they can not.
Dumori
The poitn is that gettign hold of a legal copy of an (f) program would just be manically hard. I pirated verstion or one cooked up your self yeah but a leagal lienced version.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 14 2010, 03:58 PM) *
The poitn is that gettign hold of a legal copy of an (f) program would just be manically hard. I pirated verstion or one cooked up your self yeah but a leagal lienced version.

Eggzactly.
Yerameyahu
F doesn't mean illegal to exist, though. It means heavily restricted. I didn't realize your point was that Black Hammer was illegal for *anyone*, I'm sorry.
TomDowd
QUOTE (Samoth @ Apr 14 2010, 12:08 PM) *
I think he's referring to Burning Bright, when Kyle is on his astral trip.

That's the one!

TD
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Black IC is not legal for anyone to own or manufacture.

That's not what Forbidden means. Forbidden means that it's illegal for private citizens to own, let alone use, the Forbidden item/substance/program. The military, corporations, and etc. are all free to use it dependent upon the actual item/substance/program and local/corporate/federal laws.

The Legality rules are relative to civilians, period.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 01:41 PM) *
My point is, "legitimately illegal software" makes no sense. Black IC is not legal for anyone to own or manufacture.

EDIT: Damn, Ninja'd by The Doctor...

But remember, Governments and Megacorps are not held to the same standards as the rest of the world... That Ares Alpha is completely illegal for anyone Outside of Government or Corporate Militaries (or possibly even Security Forces)... which is a far cry different than illegal to own at all...

Keep the Faith
MindandPen
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 02:57 PM) *

>> Pulls out rules
>> Notices poster is correct

Oops, my bad.

-M&P
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 14 2010, 07:25 PM) *
That's not what Forbidden means. Forbidden means that it's illegal for private citizens to own, let alone use, the Forbidden item/substance/program. The military, corporations, and etc. are all free to use it dependent upon the actual item/substance/program and local/corporate/federal laws.

The Legality rules are relative to civilians, period.

See:

QUOTE (MindandPen @ Apr 14 2010, 11:26 PM) *
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 03:57 PM) *

>> Pulls out rules
>> Notices poster is correct

Oops, my bad.

You (Dr. Funk) are correct that Forbidden means that it isn't legal for private citizens to own however Black IC is not legal for corporations to own either.

Black IC is (quite literally) the biofeedback part of the Crash Virus that Echo Mirage encountered. I'm pretty sure that's against the rules of all levels of law (personal, governmental, international, and corporate court).
Dumori
How ever I'm sure GOD uses it if need be. Also goverments could still use it.
LurkerOutThere
I'm going to need a citation on Black Hammer being illegal according to the corporate court, I'm not completely dismissing that such a thing exists but observing that such a ruling would be counter to the member corporations best interests.

Draco18s
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Apr 15 2010, 12:32 AM) *
I'm going to need a citation on Black Hammer being illegal according to the corporate court, I'm not completely dismissing that such a thing exists but observing that such a ruling would be counter to the member corporations best interests.

MindandPen obviously found it. I wouldn't know where to look, though.

Also, its like 1am and I just got home from a game.
Dixie Flatline
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 11:41 AM) *

WMDs are all kinds of illegal too. We still make them. Hell we still develop new ones.

The market for black ice is lucrative enough that even if it's illegal, I'm sure the corps write and *cough* "leak" *cough* the programs.
MindandPen
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 11:41 PM) *

My fault, I misread the table on software availability. Some of the IC programs that use Black hammer are Forbidden, but Black Hammer itself appears to be Restricted per the SR4 book. Also, as noted before, the Forbidden rating applies to private citizens, not to corporations or to the Government.

-M&P
Yerameyahu
Heh. In conclusion, Legit software (of whatever availability) is traceable, to a degree depending on the GM's will to punish you; all other software degrades. Tough choice. frown.gif
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 14 2010, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 15 2010, 12:41 AM) *

indifferent.gif

proof.gif
Kumo
It's not only about "legally bought" programs. You can steal new version of Black Hammer. Johnson can give it to you as a part of payment. It still can be tracked - not by police, but by corp who made it.
Dixie Flatline
QUOTE (Kumo @ Apr 15 2010, 06:20 AM) *
It's not only about "legally bought" programs. You can steal new version of Black Hammer. Johnson can give it to you as a part of payment. It still can be tracked - not by police, but by corp who made it.

"Hello there Runner."

"Err... Hi Mr. Johnson. I haven't heard from you since that job six months ago. What's up?"

"Last night you used a program I gave you as payment to kill a certain hacker. That hacker was actually the son of the Renraku Red Samurai chief executive officer."

"Erp..."

"I take it you wouldn't enjoy meeting him? In that case, I have a job I need you to do for me, otherwise I'll have to go to the father and ask for *his* help. I know I have a bargaining coin with him..."
Dumori
Thats cruel and awesome.
Dixie Flatline
QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 15 2010, 01:02 PM) *
Thats cruel and awesome.

That was the first thing that came to mind.

Most of the games I run are incredibly cruel to the characters. Thankfully, my players are kind of masochistic.
Dumori
I have to really hodl back when I GM atm as they are all new to RPGs and killing at least one PC every session might put them off...
Voronesh
Hehe im kinda the sadistic player ^^. So yeah no killing my character as im way too lazy to make up a background that often. Then i turn to min/maxing the hell out of every character concept you can throw at me.

For rules mistakes i havent played enough for any to be apparent. OR rather i still havent got the hang of the Matrix, so im fumbling my way along that route.
Dumori
I'm not mean in the sense I go otu of my way to kill you its just my group are green as hell atm.
SQLCowboy
QUOTE (Samoth @ Apr 14 2010, 11:08 AM) *
I think he's referring to Burning Bright, when Kyle is on his astral trip.

That's how the rules worked back when Burning Bright was written... You could cast a physical spell through an astral presence back then (such as through an active focus). That same book also has a good example of how spirit summoning has changed (re: binding).

Horribly broken, and I'm glad they changed it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012