Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun package to be added to Lone Wolf's Hero Lab
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JM Hardy
An exciting announcement went up on both the Catalyst website and Shadowrun4.com. For your convenience, here's the whole thing:

QUOTE ("Catalyst Game Labs")
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Catalyst Game Labs and Lone Wolf Development are pleased to announce that they have entered into a new, long-term license for the Shadowrun intellectual property. Lone Wolf will shortly begin development of a Shadowrun data package for its award-winning character management software, Hero Lab. The new data package will initially cover the core Shadowrun Fourth Edition game system, and will later be expanded with content from Shadowrun’s many great supplements.

“We’ve been working with Lone Wolf to make this happen for a long time,” states Randall Bills, Managing Developer of Catalyst Game Labs. “Once we finalized the details, Topps approved the license quickly, signifying their appreciation of the importance of digital tools in further developing the Shadowrun line. Lone Wolf Development has a history of bringing innovative technology to the gaming industry, and we look forward to diving into this great new opportunity for Shadowrun alongside them.”

Released in 2006, the ENnie award-winning Hero Lab includes an easy-to-use, intuitive interface atop a versatile database engine. Data packages for more than a dozen different role-playing games from a wide range of publishers are already available. Users can add their own custom content to existing games or even create data files for entirely new game systems. The combination of powerful, user-friendly software and the diverse RPGs it supports make Hero Lab one of the most successful character management tools ever released.

”We’re very excited to add Shadowrun to the list of games Hero Lab supports”, said Rob Bowes, President of Lone Wolf Development. “Catalyst recognizes that digital tools like Hero Lab are critical to the success of the gaming industry in the 21st century. By lowering the barrier of entry, Hero Lab makes it easier than ever for RPGs to attract new players, and for existing players to maximize their gaming experience.”

Look to www.wolflair.com and www.catalystgamelabs.com for future announcements concerning this exciting development!

Catalyst Game Labs

Catalyst Game Labs is dedicated to producing high quality games and fiction that mesh sophisticated game mechanics with dynamic universes-all presented in a form that allows beginning players and long-time veterans to easily jump into our games and fiction readers to enjoy our stories even if they don’t know the games.

Catalyst Game Labs is an imprint of InMediaRes Productions, LLC, which specializes in electronic publishing of professional fiction. This allows Catalyst to participate in a synergy that melds printed gaming material and fiction with all the benefits of electronic interfaces and online communities, creating a whole-package experience for any type of player or reader. Find Catalyst Game Labs online at www.catalystgamelabs.com

Lone Wolf Development

Lone Wolf Development specializes in creating innovative digital tools for the tabletop gaming industry, allowing players to streamline game preparation, eliminate errors, and spend more time playing the games they love. With an ever-growing suite of tools, including the award-winning Army Builder and Hero Lab products, Lone Wolf’s digital tools are in regular use by tens of thousands of gamers, from miniatures games to card games to role-playing games. Find out more about Lone Wolf Development by visiting our web site at www.wolflair.com.
HappyDaze
I really hope that they can make it work with SR 5e. devil.gif
Dread Moores
I'd have my doubts that Topps would let this license go through if they weren't intending to renew the license with CGL. I could certainly be wrong, but there seems to be a lot of hints offered there to the overall license renewal.
Lithium
I'm sorry, I admit my confusion here.

Mr Hardy - Is this confirmation that CGL has retained the licence for Shadowrun for the foreseeable future? Years?

Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Lithium @ May 12 2010, 10:54 PM) *

Mr Hardy - Is this confirmation that CGL has retained the licence for Shadowrun for the foreseeable future? Years?

I'm sure that would warrant a separate announcement. This is just about Lone Wolf becoming another licensee of Shadowrun, though CGL was involved in the process.
Caadium
Does this have any effect on the the similar apps and excel files that are in discussion on the "Community Projects" section of this page? In other words, will this limit their ability to continue doing what they've done?
Banaticus
Well, that's pretty flipping pointless, we already have the SR4CharGen from DaisyBox for 4th edition and before that we had the NSRCG for 3rd edition. If the company had jumped on this when the new edition first came out, it would have been great, but they dragged their feet for forever and were long ago scooped.
KCKitsune
I still think Daegann's Character Generator is one of the best, if not THE best SR4 character generator out there. Sure, it's missing a couple of things, but DaisyBox is also missing those things as well.
Yerameyahu
I find Daegann's very user-hostile, actually. Additional competition in this area can only help.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Lithium @ May 12 2010, 10:54 PM) *

At the moment, I can't say anything about the license, and this is a separate deal. I'm happy about it, though, and I'm glad Topps approved it so promptly.

Jason H.
Lithium
Thanks Jason for the prompt response. With the seemed demise of the CGL speculation thread, I'm trying to gather whatever info is out there to determine whether I should be putting all of my newly acquired 4th ed books on eBay in preparation for a 5th ed.

Right now, I have one shelf dedicated to 4th ed and a lot of 3rd ed which hardly got used due to a lack of SR players in Newcastle, Aus.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Lithium @ May 13 2010, 12:49 AM) *
Thanks Jason for the prompt response. With the seemed demise of the CGL speculation thread, I'm trying to gather whatever info is out there to determine whether I should be putting all of my newly acquired 4th ed books on eBay in preparation for a 5th ed.

Right now, I have one shelf dedicated to 4th ed and a lot of 3rd ed which hardly got used due to a lack of SR players in Newcastle, Aus.

IMHO, I would be very surprised if even a new company would do a Fifth Ed. any time soon. SR4A only came out last year, and it would probably annoy almost all customers if a new edition came out in the near future.

Remember that most of the Shadowrun player base probably has no idea that any of the legal stuff is going on.
Cardul
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ May 12 2010, 11:44 PM) *
At the moment, I can't say anything about the license, and this is a separate deal. I'm happy about it, though, and I'm glad Topps approved it so promptly.

Jason H.

The hold up, I had heard, was Microsoft approval. Since it is electronic media, it has to also be paying Microsquish,
the same way Heavy Metal is paying Microsoft.
knasser
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 13 2010, 06:24 AM) *
IMHO, I would be very surprised if even a new company would do a Fifth Ed. any time soon. SR4A only came out last year, and it would probably annoy almost all customers if a new edition came out in the near future.

Remember that most of the Shadowrun player base probably has no idea that any of the legal stuff is going on.

New editions always annoy people. But just to note that SR4A wasn't a new edition. It was the same edition with the errata incorporated. We tend to refer to SR4A sometimes rather than SR4 as both a shorthand of explaining which page numbers we're using and to confirm that we're aware of / using the errata. Other than the nice artwork and not having to refer to the separate errata sheet, it's the same edition.

K.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (knasser @ May 13 2010, 02:15 AM) *
New editions always annoy people. But just to note that SR4A wasn't a new edition. It was the same edition with the errata incorporated. We tend to refer to SR4A sometimes rather than SR4 as both a shorthand of explaining which page numbers we're using and to confirm that we're aware of / using the errata. Other than the nice artwork and not having to refer to the separate errata sheet, it's the same edition.

Whether the average customer sees it as a New Edition or a New Revision is less important than the fact that 2009 saw a new rulebook, and that makes 2010, 2011, or even 2012 too soon for another.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 13 2010, 12:35 AM) *
I find Daegann's very user-hostile, actually. Additional competition in this area can only help.

What do you mean "user-hostile"? In what way?
knasser
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 13 2010, 07:22 AM) *
Whether the average customer sees it as a New Edition or a New Revision is less important than the fact that 2009 saw a new rulebook, and that makes 2010, 2011, or even 2012 too soon for another.

I disagree. Would most people (i.e. outside heavy Dumpshockers like myself) go and buy a new print of the book just because it was a new print? They might for the reasons of SR4A's lovely artwork and incorporation of the errata but not because it was an upgrade in terms of edition. For that, you just download the errata sheet and print the few pages out. I mean I bought two copies of SR4A just because, but I doubt I'm typical. SR4A wasn't a new edition in any meaningful sense. It was a kind of celebratory collectors edition.

K.
Yerameyahu
The interface is simply clunky, and breaks a lot of UI conventions. Many tasks require more clicks than they should. No context menus. These kinds of things. Don't let me distract the thread about this, sorry. smile.gif
otakusensei
QUOTE (knasser @ May 13 2010, 07:42 AM) *
I disagree. Would most people (i.e. outside heavy Dumpshockers like myself) go and buy a new print of the book just because it was a new print? They might for the reasons of SR4A's lovely artwork and incorporation of the errata but not because it was an upgrade in terms of edition. For that, you just download the errata sheet and print the few pages out. I mean I bought two copies of SR4A just because, but I doubt I'm typical. SR4A wasn't a new edition in any meaningful sense. It was a kind of celebratory collectors edition.

K.

I've heard SR4A referred to as SR4.5 in some circles. I would buy reprints of the core books if they were given the SR4A treatment. For IMR or a new licensee that's money in the bank, all the benefit of a fifth edition cash flow with less of an outlay of effort. It's one of the reasons I was disappointed with the reprint of RC, I'd rather they started revamping the core books.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (otakusensei @ May 13 2010, 02:44 PM) *
I would buy reprints of the core books if they were given the SR4A treatment.

There was an anecdote concerning of "enhanced core books" – though given the current state of things…
Sengir
QUOTE (Caadium @ May 13 2010, 05:02 AM) *
Does this have any effect on the the similar apps and excel files that are in discussion on the "Community Projects" section of this page? In other words, will this limit their ability to continue doing what they've done?

My first thought as well...

So far, the fan-made character generators basically are an addition to the game and since the they are useless without the actual books it didn't hurt to tolerate them. The news means that the fan-made chargens now are a direct competition to a paid program...
Prime Mover
It's my understanding this has been in the works for a very long time. IIRC Lone Wolf was flying an SR flag at there Gen Con booth several years ago. I've had the opportunity to mess around with Hero Lab for Savage Worlds and Mutants & Masterminds. Been happy with the software and the team behind it seems to be on the ball as far as updating and inclusion of all the stuff players want.
hermit
I've heard SR4A referred to as SR4.5 in some circles.

Yeah, angry people do that a lot. Vampire PC don't really sparkle either, unless you add two SURGE qualities. Neither is Anniversary a new edition just because it incorporates Errata.
otakusensei
QUOTE (hermit @ May 13 2010, 10:12 AM) *
Yeah, angry people do that a lot. Vampire PC don't really sparkle either, unless you add two SURGE qualities. Neither is Anniversary a new edition just because it incorporates Errata.

I think it's a fair distinction. While not on the same level as D&D 3.5, it does make some serious changes that I would like to see carried through to the rest of the line going forward.
Penta
Getting off the debate back to the Hero Labs package: Jason, the presser says the package will cover the core game system, and then be expanded.

By Core: Does that mean SR4A, or SR4 original?

Also: Does core include books like Augmentation, Arsenal, etc? Or are those going to be covered by later releases?

Finally: When're we going to see reciprocal announcement on the Hero Labs website?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Penta @ May 13 2010, 10:34 AM) *
Getting off the debate back to the Hero Labs package: Jason, the presser says the package will cover the core game system, and then be expanded.

By Core: Does that mean SR4A, or SR4 original?

Also: Does core include books like Augmentation, Arsenal, etc? Or are those going to be covered by later releases?

From my understanding of the Hero Labs design, that's correct, SR4(A) would be first, and each subsequent source books material is an add on package as it's converted into the app.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 13 2010, 11:06 AM) *
From my understanding of the Hero Labs design, that's correct, SR4(A) would be first, and each subsequent source books material is an add on package as it's converted into the app.

This is correct--it will start with SR4A. I'm not sure when Lone Wolf will put the announcement on their website.

Jason H.
Banaticus
So, it's still not as good as the free programs that have already come out (like SR4CharGen) that cover books like Street Magic and Runner's Companion. If I was Hero Labs, I wouldn't bother advertising it. Anyone who plays Shadowrun has had the past year or so to go find character generation tools. Anyone completely new to Shadowrun probably won't be enticed by the offer of being able to pay some company to create a character.

Now, if you were to follow WotC's path and release a "lite" character generator that's just a character generator for free (no karma allowed to be spend on the character unless you buy the actual program, all books only available with a paid upgrade otherwise you just get the basic book), then it would directly compete with the character generators that are already out there and would soon become the standard. Buy why would people pay money when the people most likely to pay money already have a free program that's better (that allows you to save/print and email files back and forth). I mean, honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing how this paid thing could be a worse deal than it already is.
Kid Chameleon
I got a copy of Hero Lab for a game of M&M a while back, so now I just get to use it more.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Banaticus @ May 13 2010, 11:27 AM) *
So, it's still not as good as the free programs that have already come out (like SR4CharGen) that cover books like Street Magic and Runner's Companion.

I don't use those. I already use Hero Labs. Why should I be forced to do what you want?
Banaticus
You're not forced to do anything, that's the whole point.

If they're not releasing something that's at least "as good" as what's already out there, then why would people pay money for something that's not as good as the free thing they already have? After all, nobody's forcing them to use a particular product.
Samoth
I'm confused why anyone needs anything more than a blank excel spreadsheet to create characters these days.
Ol' Scratch
I'm confused why people even need an Excel spreadsheet to create characters. I seem to do okay with a piece of paper and a pencil. (Or just Notepad when fiddling online.)
Caadium
QUOTE (Samoth @ May 13 2010, 09:48 AM) *
I'm confused why anyone needs anything more than a blank excel spreadsheet to create characters these days.

As a GM, having all the characters (PC and NPC) in one easily accesible place can be very handy. While I love the excel sheet over in community projects, it gets cumbersome if you've got multiple open. I've not looked at this particular app, but I've seen other apps where the GM has the main program and therefore access to game notes, all characters, etc, all in one program. Meanwhile, the players have a lite version which is just their character. When you put things together like this it can be handy; especially if you're doing a chat-based game or something.
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Samoth @ May 13 2010, 11:48 AM) *

Purdy pictures and grafix.
Samoth
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ May 13 2010, 06:51 PM) *
I'm confused why people even need an Excel spreadsheet to create characters. I seem to do okay with a piece of paper and a pencil. (Or just Notepad when fiddling online.)

I used paper for 15 years before switching to a spreadsheet. Much faster, easier to erase, and easier to keep count of numbers.
otakusensei
Are each of the books going to be a separate charge for Hero Lab?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Banaticus @ May 13 2010, 12:47 PM) *
You're not forced to do anything, that's the whole point.

If they're not releasing something that's at least "as good" as what's already out there, then why would people pay money for something that's not as good as the free thing they already have? After all, nobody's forcing them to use a particular product.

Why is your choice of not wanting it making it so I can't have it?
Banaticus
You already own it -- how is that going to get Catalyst games more money? So, setting you aside, what in this package is so enticing that people will buy it? Why are people going to pay for something that isn't as good as what they can already get for free?

I'm not merely saying that Catalyst games shouldn't have done anything like this, I'm saying that it's not enough (and it's way too late for the little bit they're doing now).

A person making a computer product should program with Windows in mind because of its huge market presence (possibly Apple, based on the target audience, but it's a much smaller possible market). A person making an RPG product should design it with the products that are already available in mind. The general idea when releasing a new product is that you design with what's already out there in mind. You offer something better, something cheaper, something "more" (however you choose to quantify more). If you're not offering more in some way, what's the impetus for the market to choose your product?

It basically seems like Catalyst went with the low ball offer -- whatever was the cheapest way to get something (anything) out the door with the least bit of work involved on their end. I'm supposed to get all excited that something has been released that isn't as good as what I already have and I now have the option of paying for this lesser product? What in there could possibly excite me about this new thing?
MindandPen
QUOTE (Samoth @ May 13 2010, 01:14 PM) *
I used paper for 15 years before switching to a spreadsheet. Much faster, easier to erase, and easier to keep count of numbers.

I have my own home grown access database that I use to keep all the PC's, NPC's and even build mooks out of it. It keeps up with the effective Build Points of each character and can generate a mook within x% of the BP to make it a challenge.

-M&P
otakusensei
QUOTE (Banaticus @ May 13 2010, 01:56 PM) *
You already own it -- how is that going to get Catalyst games more money? So, setting you aside, what in this package is so enticing that people will buy it? Why are people going to pay for something that isn't as good as what they can already get for free?

I'm not merely saying that Catalyst games shouldn't have done anything like this, I'm saying that it's not enough (and it's way too late for the little bit they're doing now).

A person making a computer product should program with Windows in mind because of its huge market presence (possibly Apple, based on the target audience, but it's a much smaller possible market). A person making an RPG product should design it with the products that are already available in mind. The general idea when releasing a new product is that you design with what's already out there in mind. You offer something better, something cheaper, something "more" (however you choose to quantify more). If you're not offering more in some way, what's the impetus for the market to choose your product?

It basically seems like Catalyst went with the low ball offer -- whatever was the cheapest way to get something (anything) out the door with the least bit of work involved on their end. I'm supposed to get all excited that something has been released that isn't as good as what I already have and I now have the option of paying for this lesser product? What in there could possibly excite me about this new thing?

I can say from experience that Hero Lab is a more polished experience than the options available for free right now. That is, if the SR module is in line with current products. Whether it's worth it to someone to pay for that polish... it's up you if it's worth it to you.

I will say though that having to purchase a $15-20 module for each book is going to deflate my enthusiasm real quick. Paying $30 for access to a SR4A character generator with all three build options and the core books is a great idea. Having to pay $30 for SR4A with one build option, then an additional $15 for each of the core books... that would sour the deal. We'll see though. It's still a nice addition to the line.
hermit

Because freeware tends to have clunky interfaces and shit support. Also, he owns it, but will have to pay a dime or two for the Shadowrun expansion app. And for the apps for other books.

That's a working business model, as evident with the iPhone and it's clones.

$15 and respectively $30 are too much, though, if you ask me. I'm unwilling to pay that much.
MindandPen
QUOTE (hermit @ May 13 2010, 02:12 PM) *
$15 and respectively $30 are too much, though, if you ask me. I'm unwilling to pay that much.

Same here. If the book add-ons are a little more reasonable, then maybe.

-M&P
Caadium
If you have to buy the program, then the SR license, and then especially if you have to pay for each additional book, my personal opinion is why bother. How many times does CGL expect me to pay for the same material? Hardcover, PDF, and then again for this? Sorry, no.

If, on the other hand, you buy the product and SR is an option, including the other books as they come out I'd consider it. Depending on price, I'd even consider buying the product then the SR license, but as they expand on it there my license should cover it.

I know some people will agree, and others will disagree. However, I have this thing about not paying for the same product multiple times; even if they dress it differently.
Kid Chameleon
Then don't use it. All CGL has done is set up an avenue for those who like Hero Labs to use their software to generate characters.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Banaticus @ May 13 2010, 12:56 PM) *

You're still saying because you can't think of a reason you should get it, or even why some people shouldn't get it, I shouldn't be able to get it. Why can't i get it? Why am I not allowed to purchase or use it?
Yerameyahu
More choice is better. The 'controversy' in this thread is amazing (but no doubt that's only because I'm pretty new here).
Caadium
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 13 2010, 12:52 PM) *
You're still saying because you can't think of a reason you should get it, or even why some people shouldn't get it, I shouldn't be able to get it. Why can't i get it? Why am I not allowed to purchase or use it?

I could be wrong, but I am not reading it as him saying that you should not be allowed to purchase or use it. Rather, I read what he is saying is that it probably won't do very well do to the late approach and that there could have been better options if handled sooner. Just my $0.02 though.
Enin
People will want this for two reasons:

1) It will be the "official" product released (may not mean anything to you, but that does entice a LOT of consumers).

2) It will have a much more polished and pretty UI (which again may not mean anything to you, but it makes it much more user friendly).

And why would this stop community projects at all? WotC has their chargen, but there are still plenty of fan made programs and spreadsheets to use. HeroLab is a great product that's functional and easy to use, I have no doubt that they will do well with SR.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (MindandPen @ May 13 2010, 01:05 PM) *
I have my own home grown access database that I use to keep all the PC's, NPC's and even build mooks out of it. It keeps up with the effective Build Points of each character and can generate a mook within x% of the BP to make it a challenge.

-M&P

Hey MindandPen... Care to share?

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012