Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just don't get the Matrix, at all...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CorvusVlos
I understand combat, hell, I understand (And am in LOVE with) the Magic mechanic... I understand rigging, and I even understand how Adepts work... But Matrix stuff? I don't get it at all. Now, this may be because 4th edition is my first time playing Shadowrun (Except for a small one shot when I was 12, which was nearly 10 years ago.), and definitely my first time running it... However, is there some sort of guide to it all? The core book seems like it should make sense, but every time I sit down to read it, I end up scratching my head in confusion... What should I do, folks?
Propaganda
[i][Unwired/i] is the 4th edition sourcebook for the Matrix, so that would be a good place to start.

Which bit about it don't you get, though?
CorvusVlos
QUOTE (Propaganda @ Jun 9 2010, 07:52 AM) *
[i][Unwired/i] is the 4th edition sourcebook for the Matrix, so that would be a good place to start.

Which bit about it don't you get, though?

The rules mechanics... I guess I don't understand how hacking works, in general... Should everything have Black Ice, or just major corporate installations? What is the attribute for hacking?

I'm sure a lot of this is in the section, I just get so bogged down in trying to visualize it all (Which is how I memorize rules), that I end up giving up before I can finish reading it...
Prime Mover
Did alittle digging and found this. Cut and pasted instead of linking. Its matrix mechanics behind the short story in SR4A. It might be helpful in getting that visualization. One thing I always do when I get a new game and might be helpful with the matrix is set aside some time on a game day and have the players put together one shot PC's and run them through a matrix encounter, working together to get the kinks out and get the rules down.

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ May 18 2009, 04:21 PM) *
GAME, SET, AND MATCH

(Note that Aaron and I wrote the Game, Set, Match story together, and we actually did roll each test; the story was originally designed to be a demonstration of a hacker, a technomancer, and a rigger in a competition. However, the original story was 500 words, the final version ended up being 3000. So, some extra stuff was thrown in to make the story read better, and didn't reflect all the original actions... *sigh* that's what happens when you take creative license. wink.gif But, for what it's worth, here's the (revised) mechanics behind the story.)

Hacking a Drone Example

BEHIND THE SCENES
Netcat: Initiative 9, 1 Initiative Pass, Resonance 7, Cracking Skill Group 4, Software (Threading) 5 (+2), Willpower 5, Command 2, Exploit 6, Scan 4, Stealth 6, one registered Rating 6 tank sprite with 5 tasks.
Slamm-0!: Initiative 11, 2 Initiative Passes, Computer 5, Electronic Warfare 5, Hacking (Exploit) 6 (+2), Sniffer 5, Spoof 5, Track 5.
Rigger: As Drone Rigger, p. 101, SR4A, add Cracking Group 3 and Analyze 5 & Nuke 3, in cold-sim VR, and already subscribed to the drone.
Security Drone: As MCT Fly-Spy, p. 350, SR4A. With Firewall 4 and running Analyze 3. The drone is operating in Hidden mode and has orders to patrol a specified route and report specific suspicious activity.

Combat Turn #1

Slamm-0! flashes the sun off his reflective shades towards the drone, trying to get it to report back to the rigger so he can begin a Trace User Test to track the connection.
Netcat uses a simple action to call her registered sprite. She uses another simple action to use her E-Sensing echo rolling Resonance + Perception getting 4 hits. This allows her to locate the drone’s node, and tells her that it has a System Rating 3 (E-Sensing Table, p. 146, Unwired).
The drone has seen something it doesn’t recognize. It makes a "common sense" test (p. 245, SR4A), Pilot + Response, getting no hits. It contacts the Rigger (a free action) for further instructions.
Slamm-0! attempts to intercept the communication between the drone and rigger in order to begin tracking the Rigger. He performs a Capture Wireless Signal Test (Electronic Warfare + Sniffer (3) Test) (p. 229, SR4A), getting 7 hits and succeeding. This gives him a way to track the rigger's node, so he can get his access ID. Yes, this would be unnecessary in modern TCP/IP, but the Matrix ain't yer daddy's communications protocol.

Combat Turn #2
Slamm-0! begins the extended Trace User (10, 1 IP) Test (p. 232, SR4A); he rolls Computer + Track Test and gets 4 hits.
Netcat threads her Exploit complex form (no action required), getting 6 hits on her Software + Resonance Test and choosing to use only 4. She resists the fading of 4P (Physical Damage because the new complex form rating is greater than her Resonance) with her Resonance + Willpower, getting 4 hits and resisting it completely. She then orders her Sprite to Assist Operation for her Stealth complex form, a simple action. Her Exploit Complex form is now 6 + 4, or 10, and her Stealth complex form will be 6 + Sprite Rating (6), or 12, starting in Combat Turn 3 and lasting 6 combat turns.
Slamm-0! continues the Trace User Test, getting 3 hits for a total of 7.

Combat Turn #3:
Slamm-0! continues the Trace User Test with 3 more hits, reaching the threshold of 10. He has successfully tracked the rigger’s connection—the rigger is in the campus security headquarters—and gotten the rigger’s access ID. Slamm-0! can now spoof orders to the drone.
Netcat starts hacking-on-the-fly for an Admin account: an Extended Hacking + Exploit (drone's Firewall + 6, Complex Action) Test. Netcat rolls Hacking + Exploit and gets 7 hits. The drone gets to make a test to detect the intrusion, an Extended Firewall + Analyze (Netcat's Stealth) Test. The drone gets 2 hits.
Slamm-0! uses the rigger’s access ID to spoof an order for the drone to change course. He makes an Opposed Hacking + Spoof Test against the drone’s Pilot + Firewall. He gets 5 hits; the drone gets 3 hits.

Combat Turn #4:
Slamm-0! waits to observe if the drone accepts the spoofed order. He also uses a free action to confirm his dinner reservations (what a romantic!).
Netcat continues her hacking-on-the-fly. She rolls 8 hits, which added to her original 7 hits achieves the threshold of 9. Netcat now has an Admin account on the drone. The drone rolls Firewall + Analyze, getting 4 hits, for a total of 6; it does not detect Netcat.
The drone begins to fly towards the Chemistry building.
Slamm-0! gloats.

Combat Turn #5:
Slamm-0! continues to gloat.
Netcat controls the drone directly, steering it toward her window (Complex Action). If she needs to make any Vehicle Tests, she will use Pilot Aircraft + Command (a dice pool of 1, since she doesn't actually have the skill).
The Rigger calls up a status report (a free action) and then decides to Jump Into the drone (a simple action). Because the rigger has jumped into the drone, there is no more outside access to control the drone; it is overridden by the jumped in rigger.
Slamm-0! orders the drone to resume flying towards his window. Nothing happens.
The Rigger analyzes the drone's node, making an Opposed Matrix Perception Test against Netcat's Hacking + Stealth. He gets 2 hits. Netcat gets 5 hits.

Combat Turn #6:
The Rigger starts moving the drone toward the security building (costing no action when jumped into a drone). He again attempts to locate Netcat. He gets 3 hits; Netcat gets 5.
Slamm-0! unloads his Sniffer program (Simple Action).
Netcat attempts to eliminate the Rigger’s Access ID from the drone’s accounts list. Unfortunately, the clever Rigger has programmed the drone not to accept Admin account deletions. Netcat and the Rigger are at a stalemate.
The Rigger accesses the Access Logs, attempting to figure out what’s going on.
Slamm-0! loads his Exploit program (Complex Action).

Combat Turn #7:
The Rigger scratches his virtual head and performs yet another Opposed Matrix Perception Test against Netcat's Hacking + Stealth. He gets 4 hits. Netcat gets 6 hits. (Makes you feel sorry for the guy, doesn’t it?)
Slamm-0! performs a Hacking + Exploit (drone’s Firewall, Complex Action) Extended Test. He gets 4 hits on his first roll, entering the drone with a normal user passcode. The drone rolls Firewall + Analyze, getting a lucky 6 hits; it detects Slamm-0! and an alert is triggered. This immediately has two effects: it creates a Restricted Alert (p. 238, SR4A) against Slamm-0! (it raises the drone’s Firewall rating against Slamm-0! by 4) and it immediately loads an MCT Bloodhound (p. 71, Unwired), rating 3, configured to look like a pack of husky puppies. The IC starts a Trace User (10, Complex Action) Extended Test.
Netcat deactivates the IC, using a Simple Action (since she has an Admin account, this is an allowed action; otherwise, she’d have to roll a Matrix Attack against it).
The Rigger sees Slamm-0!’s icon and attacks with a Nuke program (p. 111, Unwired). He rolls Cybercombat + Nuke, getting 2 hits. Slamm-0! defends with his Response + Firewall, gets 4 hits, and dodges the attack.
Slamm-0! performs a Redirect Trace action, making an Opposed Hacking + Spoof against the IC’s Computer + Track. He gets 3 Net hits, which would be added to the IC’s threshold for tracing him (if it weren’t for NetCat’s interference).

Combat Turn #8:
The IC goes pop.
The Rigger attacks again. He rolls Cybercombat + Nuke, getting 4 hits. Slamm-0! goes on Full Defense, and so resists with his System + Armor + Hacking, and gets 7 hits, dodging again.
Slamm-0! chose to use full defense this turn, so he can only trade witty banter with Netcat.
Netcat compiles a rating 6 Paladin Sprite. She rolls her Compiling + Resonance, and gets 4 hits. The Sprite rolls its Rating, and gets 3 hits. Netcat needs to resist Fading damage of 6S. She rolls her Resonance + Willpower, gets 4 hits, and takes 2S. She uses a free action to order the sprite to protect Slamm-0!
The Rigger attacks Slamm-0! again. This time, he scores one net hit. The base damage of the Nuke 3 is 3, plus 1 from the Net hit, so Slamm-0! resists the damage rolling his System + Armor. He gets 2 hits, and takes 1 damage. This reduces his Response by 1 point!

Combat Turn #9:

The Sprite uses its Castling Power to protect Slamm-0!.
The Rigger attacks again. The attack is redirected from Slamm-0! to the sprite, which rolls its Response + Firewall (total 16), and easily shrugs off the attack.
Slamm-0! loads up his own Nuke program (not wanting to hurt a campus security goon).
Netcat delays her action.
The Rigger attacks again. The attack is redirected from Slamm-0! to the sprite, which rolls its Response + Firewall, and easily shrugs off the attack.
Slamm-0! attacks the Rigger, with his own Nuke program. He scores 3 net hits, which added to his Rating 6 Nuke, make for 9 damage. The Rigger only resists 3 points of damage. His Response is reduced to 0, which reduces his System to 0, and he immediately loses all subscriptions, dumping him from the drone and causing 5S in dumpshock for him to resist with his Willpower + Biofeedback Filter.

Combat Turn #10:
Netcat alters the Rigger’s account to not allow movement commands. She then gloats (a Free Action).
Slamm-0! spoofs the drone using Netcat’s access ID—something he already knows. Using her access ID, he orders the drone to fly into his window. He gets 4 hits against the drone's 2 hits.
The drone flies into the window, ending the contest, and finally getting Slamm-0! a date with Netcat (more on that in future books).
CeeJay
QUOTE (CorvusVlos @ Jun 9 2010, 03:53 PM) *
The rules mechanics... I guess I don't understand how hacking works, in general... Should everything have Black Ice, or just major corporate installations? What is the attribute for hacking?

I'm sure a lot of this is in the section, I just get so bogged down in trying to visualize it all (Which is how I memorize rules), that I end up giving up before I can finish reading it...

Than start simple. Don't try to "visualize it all", that's a guaranteed headache smile.gif.
And not worth the effort, cause there is no big picture with the SR matrix rules...

Try to figure how simple matrix actions (like hacking a node, analyzing an icon etc.) are resolved. The rules for these things are pretty clearly spelled out in the book. If you still have specific questions come back and ask them here.
Then proceed to more complex things like cybercombat or the rules for agents and IC.

-CJ
CorvusVlos
Awesome... Well thanks to both of you, the example combat helped a TON, and I will try to read it in smaller doses.. Thanks CeeJay.
sabs
I read that story.. and I realize that Technomancers are completely broken compared to Hackers.
Netcat has a 12 stealth rating. That means that rigger or ic needs to get 12 net hits on an extended roll to see her.
Slamm-0! is maxed at 6 for stealth, like every other hacker in the universe.

That Paladin Sprite has 12 defense dice vs that nuke. The Rigger's nuke as 0 chance of affecting anything unless he happened to have 6 edge and get lucky on his roll.

On average Netcat is rolling +5-6 dice more than Slamm-0! can ever hope to roll, even if he's maxed out.

Brazilian_Shinobi
There is no attribute for hacking. Everything is Skill + Program. Unwired have alternative rules for this.
deek
Yes, take it really small at first.

Introduce a single node that allows the hacker to unlock a door or shut off a security camera. Don't think about it doing anything else, no IC, or spiders. Just let him get the mechanics down of hacking a node, searching for a specific item and then turning it off/on.

Introduce the need to hack a computer/commlink for a single piece of data. Something simply like an address, name or comm number.

Take it in small steps, don't complicate things and then over time, you can add more layers, defenses and dead ends. Trust me, you, your hacker and the rest of your players will be happy to experience the matrix in simple, finite doses.
Abstruse
One way I learned the SR2 modified/SR3 decking rules was flat out to create a decker. To update the terms for 4e, I basically made a character, then made a bunch of nodes slowly increasing in difficulty/complexity, then just ran by myself. I'd start slow, working my way up adding in extra rules as I went (giving myself karma for "overwatch runs" where I had a specific list of commands I had to run, trolling for paydata, playing pranks by taking over machines (having the break room vending machine spit out candy bars and flooding it with coffee, stuff like that), upgrading my deck, programming, etc.) Anytime I was bored and couldn't think of anything to do, I pulled up my hacker and ran a couple of nodes. Eventually, I blew an entire afternoon running the guy through a hack on Zurich Orbital that almost killed me, but by that point running a game with a matrix-based character was nothing...I was able to go through like clockwork no problems or major slow-downs with a hacker doing overwatch in full VR while the rest of the team were in the middle of a firefight.

It's just like learning anything else. Start small and simple, start adding complexities once you've got the rest down, and practice so it stays fresh in your mind.
imperialus
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 9 2010, 08:27 AM) *
I read that story.. and I realize that Technomancers are completely broken compared to Hackers.
Netcat has a 12 stealth rating. That means that rigger or ic needs to get 12 net hits on an extended roll to see her.

That Paladin Sprite has 12 defense dice vs that nuke. The Rigger's nuke as 0 chance of affecting anything unless he happened to have 6 edge and get lucky on his roll.

On average Netcat is rolling +5-6 dice more than Slamm-0! can ever hope to roll, even if he's maxed out.

TMs need rediculously high attributes though to even approach that level of asskicking. It sort of covers the same ground as the Street Sam PhysAd debate.
sabs
QUOTE (imperialus @ Jun 9 2010, 06:16 PM) *
TMs need rediculously high attributes though to even approach that level of asskicking. It sort of covers the same ground as the Street Sam PhysAd debate.

The Street sam doesn't need to spend 10-15k a month in software upgrades/patches to keep his 'stats' from degrading though.

Also looking at Netcat's stats. How exactly are they ridiculous? The only semi-ridiculous I see is that she's got a 7 resonance. So she has the equivalent of 1 Initiate Level.

Other than that she has fairly reasonable stats for a PC. As does Slamm-0!
Wandering One
The real killer for Techno's vs. hackers is that their stealth is high enough to hack an admin account on the fly with a rating 6 sprite hanging around, and then using other sprites for necessary combat activities, which a hacker also can't get support for. At best they get agents as a backup attack person.

Between that and threading, the two massive bonii for Technos, their numbers go from player character to plot device. They're the matrix equivalent of dragons. They're meant to be able to do whatever the hell they damn well please in the matrix. Unless the GM intends to program systems to challenge the Techno, which means any other hacker has a lickspittle chance of doing it at all, nevermind reasonably, they crush the net.

They're best left as GMPC's, personal opinion. Just like dragons.
Cube
If you love the magic rules and you want to learn how to run the Matrix, I'd make a Technomancer. Go through Abstruse's training program with it.

There's already a level of familiarity there, so that'll make the transition that much easier.
Sengir
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 9 2010, 02:27 PM) *
That means that rigger or ic needs to get 12 net hits on an extended roll to see her.

...the resident virtuakinetic advisor, however, only needs a mere three hits to get the intruder's matrix signature. Yep, going completely overboard with something just because you can always carries consequences.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 9 2010, 10:32 AM) *
Also looking at Netcat's stats. How exactly are they ridiculous? The only semi-ridiculous I see is that she's got a 7 resonance. So she has the equivalent of 1 Initiate Level.

Actually 7 Res means a Submersion grade between 1 and 7. TMs have much more incentive to increase Submersion before they mess with upping their Resonance.

I personally find TMs turn out much closer to baseline when you use karmagen. Those high-level CFs are spendy as hell and being able to emulate a world of cracked skillsofts is less of an issue when skills aren't at such a premium from the start.
AStarshipforAnts
I feel like an utter idiot for asking this, but I've had two different GMs ruling differently on this subject and I'm a little confused. The Electronics and Cracking skill groups are listed as having the Logic attribute connected to them. But, hackers only roll their skill level + program rating for base hacking, correct? In the example Slamm-O! is getting seven successes by rolling 11 dice: 5 for programs and 6 for hacking. Do hackers add logic to their dicepool or not?
Dumori
No hackers don't add logic to there dice pool.
AStarshipforAnts
Thank you.

Edit: Although, this begs the question of why exactly those skills were even given an attached attribute in the first place, if it isn't used.
Ryu
The thread in my sig might help. (shameless plug, I know)
Saint Sithney
There are optional rules to put Logic back into play for hackers, such as limiting successes to an amount equal to Logic. I personally like using Logic as a teamwork-style variable DP bonus to give cleverness its due.

Anyone else think the lack of cyber in Slamm-0! is strange?
tagz
Methinks it's for something to happen to his character in the future. Something that cyber would interfere with.
[/conspiracy theory]
sabs
He gets his date with Netcat. They get all Physical and he awakens as a technomancer? Because the writers realize that hackers suck smile.gif
Ryu
I believe there are no augmentations in the main book that would make a difference, and that stuff from the expansions was avoided.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 9 2010, 03:01 PM) *
There are optional rules to put Logic back into play for hackers, such as limiting successes to an amount equal to Logic. I personally like using Logic as a teamwork-style variable DP bonus to give cleverness its due.

Anyone else think the lack of cyber in Slamm-0! is strange?

That makes a lot of sense, and I like that rule.

No, I also found the lack of cyber in Slamm-O! odd, especially the lack of cyber to improve his initiative and initiative pass number.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jun 9 2010, 02:06 PM) *
No, I also found the lack of cyber in Slamm-O! odd, especially the lack of cyber to improve his initiative and initiative pass number.

And Netcat should have had 3 IPs at least and a +2 natural hotsim bonus.

There's a lot of weird stuff going on with those #s...
Wandering One
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jun 9 2010, 01:17 PM) *
Thank you.

Edit: Although, this begs the question of why exactly those skills were even given an attached attribute in the first place, if it isn't used.

Skill defaulting, for one, which is kinda ugly if you think about it. 6 logic and 0 skill is better then any logic and 1 skill point.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Jun 9 2010, 03:14 PM) *
Skill defaulting, for one, which is kinda ugly if you think about it. 6 logic and 0 skill is better then any logic and 1 skill point.

Exactly.
tagz
But you can't default on matrix skills.

*Edit: Checked myself, Hacking, Computer, Data Search, and Cybercombat CAN be defaulted on... sillyness.
sabs
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Jun 9 2010, 09:14 PM) *

Or worse

Logic of 9.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 9 2010, 03:26 PM) *
Or worse

Logic of 9.

This is the problem I've run into with one of my GMs, who's let my hacker use logic. 6(programs) + 5 (most skills) + 4 (logic-related cyber) + 9 (logic) + 2 (hotsim) = the pornomancer of the Matrix.
Wandering One
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jun 9 2010, 02:29 PM) *
This is the problem I've run into with one of my GMs, who's let my hacker use logic. 6(programs) + 5 (most skills) + 4 (logic-related cyber) + 9 (logic) + 2 (hotsim) = the pornomancer of the Matrix.

Congratz, you broke the rules all over the place and just created something even more rediculous then a Technomancer. XD

For starters: If you're going to skill+attribute, then the attribute bumper (ie: encyphalon) doesn't get to add its bonus twice, rip out the +1/2 it gives to matrix actions if you're taking the logic bump. Second, gotta take the program out too, or you're breaking the skill+attribute structure that you're attempting to mimic. So really, you should be 9(logic) + 5(skill) + 2 (hotsim), with possibly your program rating limiting the # of hits you can get. 16 dice is still a nice reasonable number. 26 before other optimizations is a bit... much.

AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Jun 9 2010, 03:36 PM) *
Congratz, you broke the rules all over the place and just created something even more rediculous then a Technomancer. XD

For starters: If you're going to skill+attribute, then the attribute bumper (ie: encyphalon) doesn't get to add its bonus twice, rip out the +1/2 it gives to matrix actions if you're taking the logic bump. Second, gotta take the program out too, or you're breaking the skill+attribute structure that you're attempting to mimic. So really, you should be 9(logic) + 5(skill) + 2 (hotsim), with possibly your program rating limiting the # of hits you can get. 16 dice is still a nice reasonable number. 26 before other optimizations is a bit... much.

Yeah, that character was house-ruled to the point of a true clusterfuck. XD One GM house-ruled that another piece of cyberware also applied to hacking. And the +3 to logic came from a cerebral booster.

I like the idea of going logic + skill + hotsim or some cyber (encyphalon) with the program rating limiting the hits, though.
Garou
Maybe Netcat's and Slammo's number are wrong because they are not using full VR. They might be both doing it with an A.R. interface. Which probably means that Slammo has some Wired Reflexes, for extra actions in A.R.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Garou @ Jun 9 2010, 03:16 PM) *
Maybe Netcat's and Slammo's number are wrong because they are not using full VR. They might be both doing it with an A.R. interface. Which probably means that Slammo has some Wired Reflexes, for extra actions in A.R.

But Netcat can't use CFs in AR... indifferent.gif
Wandering One
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 9 2010, 04:34 PM) *

Ignore, answered wrong question...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 10 2010, 01:34 AM) *

AR, VR, makes no diff what so ever, both are matrix. its like swapping DE on a unix box.
Johnny Hammersticks
Ah, the eternal "technomancers are game breaking dragons of the matrix" discussion.
Johnny Hammersticks
Ah, the eternal "technomancers are game breaking dragons of the matrix" discussion.
Wandering One
QUOTE (Johnny Hammersticks @ Jun 9 2010, 04:47 PM) *

In my opinion it's like half of runner's companion. Just because you're given the rules for how to build things in game, doesn't necessarily mean it should be considered a PC. Yes, as a GM, I want to know how to build a Drake BBEG for a 6 man runner team to fight... I don't necessarily think the runner team should have a Fomor as its Street Sam. Or what the stats are for a 2072 M1A1-Abrams equivalent, doesn't mean it's gonna be the runner's ride.

Of course, in this, YMMV, especially if you're going over the top pink mohawk. You're going to need those kind of things to survive it. But yeah, Techno's are over the top. When your average professional mook is a 2/3 in skills and top end spiders other then government/military are 4, MAYBE a 5 if you're being cruel, according to stat sets... yep. Matrix Dragon.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 9 2010, 04:46 PM) *
AR, VR, makes no diff what so ever, both are matrix. its like swapping DE on a unix box.

Oh man.
Casual TM hacks? I did not even suspect this.

Do they just image link their bionode over their retinas like with the Smartlink CF?
Wouldn't they still take hotsim damage since their node remains a part of their mind?
Would further reading answer these questions for me?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 9 2010, 07:27 AM) *

There are higher rated programs out there, they are just very very hard to come by...

Keep the Faith...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Jun 9 2010, 11:05 AM) *
The real killer for Techno's vs. hackers is that their stealth is high enough to hack an admin account on the fly with a rating 6 sprite hanging around, and then using other sprites for necessary combat activities, which a hacker also can't get support for. At best they get agents as a backup attack person.

Between that and threading, the two massive bonii for Technos, their numbers go from player character to plot device. They're the matrix equivalent of dragons. They're meant to be able to do whatever the hell they damn well please in the matrix. Unless the GM intends to program systems to challenge the Techno, which means any other hacker has a lickspittle chance of doing it at all, nevermind reasonably, they crush the net.

They're best left as GMPC's, personal opinion. Just like dragons.

You know, the Technomancer in our group is prettty damn competent, but he is NOT the Matrix God that you are making them out to be... Yes, He is very good at what he does, Yes, he has a 7 Resonance, and Yes, Occassionally, the Hacker kicks his ass in matrix actions (The Hacker is actually Much faster in Initiative/Matrix IP's than the Technomancer is)

And an interesting note about the Sprites... Only 4 of the 10 Sprites, that a Technomancer may utilize, actually have access to an Inherent Stealth CF (A fifth has it as an Optional CF). The Combat Sprites (Machine, Tank and Paladin) do not have them at all, which is a big detriment; so when they come into the node, they are immediately visible; not so with the Hacker's Worms and Agents... Technomancers have their place... And so do Hackers...

Our GM has not had to take any great pains in designing Systems for the Technomancer, no more than he would take in designing one for the Hacker... there are a LOT of ways to slow down an attacker in the Matrix... SOme are more obvious thatn others.

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 9 2010, 04:34 PM) *

Says Who?

Keep the Faith
Wandering One
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 9 2010, 06:45 PM) *
[snip]
And an interesting note about the Sprites... Only 4 of the 10 Sprites, that a Technomancer may utilize, actually have access to an Inherent Stealth CF (A fifth has it as an Optional CF). The Combat Sprites (Machine, Tank and Paladin) do not have them at all, which is a big detriment; so when they come into the node, they are immediately visible; not so with the Hacker's Worms and Agents... Technomancers have their place... And so do Hackers...
[snip]

Coupla things. Sorry if I wan't clear, I wasn't talking about the sprite's stealth, I meant the bonus a sprite gives to stealth. They effectively have double the # of attempts (with more dice) to exploit a system on the fly undetected if they really get silly.

EDIT I HAD put in quote pages, most of these are from pg 239 and 241 from SR4a or Unwired malware section, sorry. [/EDIT]

Assist Operation: A registered sprite can add its rating to any single complex form used by the technomancer. This assistance lasts
for a maximum number of Combat Turns equal to the sprite’s rating; a Rating 3 sprite, for example, can boost the rating of the technomancer’s Armor complex form by 3, for a maximum of 3 Combat Turns per task.

Please note, this does not indicate the sprite has to have the power it's assisting, it just can do it. Rating 6's might be a bit overkill as mentioned, but a rating 4 here seems reasonable to have registered pretty heavily for things just like this. Now add that to...

Technomancers have the ability to improvise Complex Forms that they do not know on the fly, or increase the rating of a complex form they do know. This process is known as threading. To thread a complex form, the technomancer makes a Software + Resonance Test. Each hit scored on the test can be used to increase the rating of a complex form by one; if the complex form is created from scratch, start at Rating 0. The technomancer can choose to discard some of the hits he scores. No threaded complex form can have a rating greater than twice the technomancer’s Resonance.

Assuming a 5 res and a 5 software skill out of the gates for a BP char expecting to do this, and probably a 6/4 for a karmagen, we'll average 3 dice on the threading bonus. Quick register of a new sprite to maintain it for you and you've got +7 to your stealth, for practically nothing.

All of this happens in 2 IP's too. Complex to summon up the new sprite, Free action to call the registered one in. next action thread your stealth, and hand the sustain to it over to the non-registered while your registered sits on your stealth directly. No, it won't last forever, but a combat turn is forever in the matrix... and you can always whistle up another one before the first one is over. He can even do this in his own bionode before hand (except for handing over the sustaining, because of the combat turn*force/task limit) if he wanted. If the TM is merely doing overwatch, he could even just sustain it himself if he liked and hand it off only when he had to do something specific. -2 dice is NOT a big deal to a Techno, usually.

This means your local IC in the system, and when the firewall checks while you hack in, are looking at a base target of 13 to find the Techno. 13. If he doesn't glitch, he isn't getting seen unless your software is out of this world.

Note, the breaking point for a Techno is the ability to intelligently use his sprites. There are other things, like the unhackable bio-node, that can be frustruating, but nothing is game breaking except for using the sprites (Couldn't they call 'em ghosts or something? spirits/sprites, too easy to swap), even at reasonable 3/4 levels, intelligently. Another two supporting his exploit until he gets in (could even use the combat ones he's registered while he exploits from his own bionode to get in) opens up a world of hurt on the exploit side of things, too, simultaneously.

Next:
Any number of a technomancer’s complex forms can be used without affecting Response; all of a technomancer’s complex forms are considered running unless specifically “deactivated” by the technomancer.

That's a hell of a skill, and it's right out of the box. Duplicatable by hackers, to a point, with ergonomic programs and a maxxed out commlink. But only to a point. Then again, hackers don't pay karma for their programs. Might be a fair trade.

Due to their resonance with the ebb and flow of data in the Matrix, technomancers receive a +2 dice pool bonus on all Matrix Perception tests.

Overpowering? No, just snow on the mountain.

Hackers worms and Agents:
An agent has to break in just like the hacker, and subject to the same issues as above. Now, the hacker can get in and drop him off behind him, sure. And leave a nice pretty (and hopefully, well spoofed) accessID behind. Malware in general is expensive, at best, and is incredibly long to code something that's not 'out of the box', if you need it to do something specific rather then a worm someone else built (and is being distributed, thus degrading), and that's if you can get them at a high enough rating to be reasonable:

Worm (Rating x 5)F Rating x 2,000„ Rating x 5,000„

Rating 6 is a 30F availability, costing 30k. [EDIT] This is not meant for a high end system. This is not meant for your average runner to get his hands on, that's got higher availability then some combat vehicles... not sure what my brain thought that sentence was going to mean to anyone but me...[/EDIT]

And, well, unless you're programming it yourself, your street samurai can buy and send a worm on its way for all the effort it takes, you don't need the hacker there. As to programming it:

Virus Rating x 4 3 months
Metamorphic Engine +6 +1 month

So, without the virus having a metamorphic engine (which seems pointless), For a rating 6 worm you need 24 hits in your threshhold with 3 months/test intervals, and that's doing, reasonably, nothing else. 30 if you want to make it self-regulating and 4 months per test instead of 3. So if you can't find it, you gotta build it. See you in 2-3 years.

The techno can have an army of sprites registered in a week, with some sleep between attempts, at worst. The hacker can have programmed 1 worm... in a few years... or had the street sam buy the same thing he could and deploy it the same way.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing any form of equality here, perhaps you can help me out?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 10 2010, 03:31 AM) *
Oh man.
Casual TM hacks? I did not even suspect this.

Do they just image link their bionode over their retinas like with the Smartlink CF?
Wouldn't they still take hotsim damage since their node remains a part of their mind?
Would further reading answer these questions for me?

the best solution would probably be to consider a TM a hacker with a implant comlink, complete with sim module. So yes, they can see AR just fine (at least as good as anyone using trodes, implant comlink or datajack with a sim module).

if by hotsim damage you mean black hammer, then i would say no. tho given that a TM uses the normal damage track, rather then a special matrix damage track, that may not mean much as even a attack program ends up doing stun.

and i fear not, as even SR4a is vague on the TM specifics in relation to AR use. Maybe because a TM is slow (meat speed only) in AR, unless they grab a set of echos from unwired that grant them the equivalent of wired reflexes.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jun 9 2010, 10:47 PM) *
Yeah, that character was house-ruled to the point of a true clusterfuck. XD One GM house-ruled that another piece of cyberware also applied to hacking. And the +3 to logic came from a cerebral booster.

I like the idea of going logic + skill + hotsim or some cyber (encyphalon) with the program rating limiting the hits, though.

I'll keep that in mind, Tuesday.

nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Jun 10 2010, 11:31 AM) *
<Snip> Lots of good points...

I think that you missed the point I was making with the Sprites... When a sprite enters a system, if they do not have the Stealth CF, then THEY cannot be stealthy, and will generally set off every alarm out there upon system access... this is a problem if the Technomancer is trying to be stealthy, as the Sprites have to be with the Technomancer in teh system that they are aiding him in... sucks to be them at that point.

Continuous "Whistling Up" of Sprites eats actions... this isz generally a bad thing when you are actively penetrating a system... lost passes result in more time in the system... My Hacker has 3 passes in AR and takles absolutely NO Damage from Attacks by Programs or Persona... You cannot really say the same for the Technomancer now can you? And lets not remember that a Technomancer can only have as many sprites as his Charisma... so generally not a boatload there...

And lets not forget that the Technomancer actually ahs to Hack the node he wants to enter in... lets see... Find the Node (you are doing this remotely right?)... Decrypt the Node, Perform a MAtrix Perception Check to see if the Node has a DataBomb attached to it, Defuse the Databomb (Hope that it does not just come right back up) and then Actually HACK the node for the Access Rights... Plenty of things in that scenario can go wrong, and this could be just a standard "Secure" node... Heaven help you (Hackers and Technomancers) if it is a Ultra High-Security Node... And lets not forget that the Technomancer rolls an OPPOSED TEST for that Stealth... I have seen 20 Dice produce only a single hit before (Rare, but it happens)... Dice are oftentimes capricious.

As for Response Hits due to Program overload... I would call that an even deal... Hackers Buy, and Technomancers spend KArma, all other things wash in teh Response category (It is very easy, as you said, to have a fairly high program load afterall, so it is really not that much of a limitation for the Hacker)

Yes, Worms, and Viruses (Especially with Metamorphic Engines) are expensive, but a Technomancer cannot use them at all unless he is acting like the Hacker (He has to actually use real programs, what a novelty). He cannot CF them, nor can he thread them... They are expensive for a reason, but they are not impossible to acquire... it is just time and money. Hell, you can even program your own, if that will fit within the perview of the game. Technomancers get Sprites instead...

And Sprites... I would hardly call 7 Sprites an Army (Though I think that you might be able to start as high as a 10? Still, hardly an army). The Hacker, on the other hand, is only limited in his pocketbook... 100 Agents at Rating 3...No Problem... just a simple 300,000 Nuyen (Hacked, only 30,000 Nuyen, and good for a month or two)... Technomancer can only WISH they could have as many Sprites...

By the Way, it does not take Years to Program a Worm... A Worm is essentially a Malware Agent... As such, it is Threshold (Rating x 3) and a 3 Month Interval... which you can reduce to 6 Weeks with a Programming Environmewnt, and then to 3 weeks with a Rush Job... So, 1 Roll each 3 weeks... I created mine in about 12 Weeks without to much difficulty (And that was a Rating 6 with Options; Gotta do something with the Downtime while hiding out)... so no, definitely not years.

Hackers are definitely on par with Technomancers. htey are both pretty damn versatile in the Matrix, but the Technomancer has drawbacks (That WHole Living Persona thing just really sucks, regardless if his Bionode cannot be hacked.

I probably did not answer your questions as well as I could, but it is getting a bit late...

Keep the Faith
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 10 2010, 07:13 AM) *
And Netcat should have had 3 IPs at least and a +2 natural hotsim bonus.

There's a lot of weird stuff going on with those #s...

The hacking rules are screwed biggrin.gif Seriously, the Dev's don't even understand there own ruleset, so it's not surprising that no-one else can either.

Also I love that the superuser account can make changes it cannot undo. 'Damn, johnny the sysadmin left the company, but set his account to 'unable to be deleted' and 'unabled to be changed' so he has a back door FOREVER'

AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 10 2010, 03:52 PM) *
I'll keep that in mind, Tuesday.

nyahnyah.gif

Whatever makes the game work, yo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012