Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does psychology change that much in 50 yrs?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
blackwulf
I feel like putting a cat among the pigeons, so I have to ask, Does anyone else suspect that humans no matter what the advantage are not normally going to have there limbs hacked off or the eyes scooped out? I mean every operation aver performed has x failures, I can see it now, I am sorry sir but your system does not tolerate cybereyes I am sorry but the waiver you signed makes us free of responsibility oh we keep the money but here is a seeing eye gerbil. From a street doc it would be oops better break him for parts. Opinions?
Yerameyahu
These things would certainly begin as replacements for lost or damaged parts, and it's not really 'normals' who are chroming out. It's crazy criminals, and the people who fight them.
BlueMax
QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 07:53 AM) *
I feel like putting a cat among the pigeons, so I have to ask, Does anyone else suspect that humans no matter what the advantage are not normally going to have there limbs hacked off or the eyes scooped out? I mean every operation aver performed has x failures, I can see it now, I am sorry sir but your system does not tolerate cybereyes I am sorry but the waiver you signed makes us free of responsibility oh we keep the money but here is a seeing eye gerbil. From a street doc it would be oops better break him for parts. Opinions?

Your thinking about the stable and sane, yes?
About a society that has norms, rights and cares, yes?
About educated and mature individuals, yes?

Now throw that all away.
Think about the addicted and downtrodden.
Think about a society without support for its members, without rights, without any real government.
Think about 13 year olds who are out on their own in the Barrens trying to get by and who their idles may be.

Psychology never changes, society does.

BlueMax
Doc Chase
Life is cheap; surgery is easy. People who need the edge are going to get the operations - hell, most stuff is outpatient in the 70's. Are most people going to shy away from body mods? Probably, though the people who normally go in for plastic surgery may be the ones that go a little farther. People who need performance enhancers are going to be driven to it. People who lose limbs - well, that's pretty obvious there.

If your corp is going to foot the bill and it's been 'strongly' suggested that you will get promoted for installing a cyberware piece - well, you're probably going to do it. Body mods are so prevalent in 2070's society that yeah, the psychology of homo sapiens isn't going to view it with the distrust we do now.
Lanlaorn
This is not going to only be people who "need the edge" or people who are pressured into it, etc.

Are you guys familiar with how modern laser eye surgery works? They literally cut a flap of eyeball, flip that up, let the laser carve a lens into your eye and then let that heal. They are scarring your lens prescription into your eyes by burning away parts of it. And there are, as always, cases where it goes wrong.

And yet it's a casual operation that people constantly get and the vast majority of them have no problems whatsoever.

I wouldn't get a cyberlimb because even the synthetic ones are obviously false to the touch, according to the rulebook, and I'm a fan of flesh on flesh contact wink.gif Eyes? Maybe, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and it'd be strictly superior. Ears? Definitely, what do I care how my inner ear works.

Any other internal thing like commlinks, sim modules, etc. I wouldn't even question. I don't care what my bones are made of and I don't think anyone else does either. Not only is there a precedent with knee and hip replacement surgery but just do a thought experiment: if every bone in your hand was metal instead of bone and you couldn't notice the difference besides them being harder to break, would you care? I sure wouldn't.
Doc Chase
Quite familiar with eye surgery. Burnt eye smells...different.
Yerameyahu
Obviously, it's a cultural acclimation process. No one gets elective heart replacement, but, yes, they get corneal correction. Replacing that eye with a machine? That's a lot harder sell, and one that the world has to very slowly get used to, just as the technology gets better and better.

The whole question is a no brainer. smile.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2010, 01:19 PM) *
Obviously, it's a cultural acclimation process. No one gets elective heart replacement, but, yes, they get corneal correction. Replacing that eye with a machine? That's a lot harder sell, and one that the world has to very slowly get used to, just as the technology gets better and better.

The whole question is a no brainer. smile.gif

It depends on the kind of people you ask and how you ask.
I'm majoring in Computer Sciences, there is a class calle "History and Future of Computer Sciences". Half the class wear glasses, including the teacher. He asked us if it was possible to change our eyes for cybernetic ones who could have imaging scope, low-light vision, image link, etc. who would change them.
Only me and 3 more in class raised hands. Then he added, the fact that you do this, gives you an edge against other people and this could aventually lead to better jobs, promotions etc. Only 3 people did not raise their hands.

Me? Give a pair of cybereyes and a sleep regulator and I'll be a happy man cyber.gif
Yerameyahu
Right, different people are different. But that's already factored in. smile.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 10:53 AM) *
Does anyone else suspect that humans no matter what the advantage are not normally going to have there limbs hacked off or the eyes scooped out?

1) And upon this theory we build the basis of cyberpunk - the psychological trauma of replacing your natural flesh with unyielding chrome. CP2020 represented this with cyberpsychosis. In Shadowrun, it's represented by essence, the fact that most cyberware is so sleek it's nearly undetectable, and by the average population having an essence value of 5 (with the only truly common cyberware, datajacks, being an absolute requirement of doing business).

2) It's absolute bunk. Turn back the clock and ask people, 'how many of you would voluntarily get the tip of your willy nicked off/punch holes your ears, nose, etc./ink yourself/walk around in public in your underwear/go hurtling through the air at a few hundred miles an hour/etc. The difference being, unlike most of those things, cyberware has a quantifiable advantage. If you ask people with cochlear implants if that was really a choice, I'll wager most would say no - minor cyberware implants is an easy price to pay for the advantage of hearing. Similarly, an easy price for the advantage of low-light vision, or jumping over cars, or just flashing some chrome.

Not only will culture change, culture already is changing. It's just creeping up (thanks to the steep price of medical technology) slow enough that you're not noticing it.

What is really interesting is that most people who are getting these implants (cochlear implants and a brain implant whose function I've forgotten being the most significant and common) do not generally consider these 'foreign bodies' changing how they behave. It becomes part of you. Your ego is robust enough to happily accept silicon as part of its self-identity. Sure the idea of the SURGERY might be freaky, but the surgery is short.
Dumori
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jul 7 2010, 05:45 PM) *
It depends on the kind of people you ask and how you ask.
I'm majoring in Computer Sciences, there is a class calle "History and Future of Computer Sciences". Half the class wear glasses, including the teacher. He asked us if it was possible to change our eyes for cybernetic ones who could have imaging scope, low-light vision, image link, etc. who would change them.
Only me and 3 more in class raised hands. Then he added, the fact that you do this, gives you an edge against other people and this could aventually lead to better jobs, promotions etc. Only 3 people did not raise their hands.

Me? Give a pair of cybereyes and a sleep regulator and I'll be a happy man cyber.gif

Oh a sleep regulator how I need you. It would make insomnia easier to cope with. At least I wouldt start going wacky at 50-60 hours sleep dep tit would be closer to 100+
JohnNoSIN
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 7 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Quite familiar with eye surgery. Burnt eye smells...different.

thinking LASIK. also no OSHA so people are more likely to loose bits in general. no real traffic control, lots of weapons available to five-year olds, and the need to get at least some implants for any normal job such as skillwires. I also think most objections to implants are goiing away as soon as cereberal boosters and nmenonic enhancers come onto the market. thzt said, you make a good point. I dont see hacking off my legs just so I can get the latest raptor feet mod. chemeleon cloak dermal sheathing might be worth it.
Ed_209a
The sleep regulator is an excellent example. I want one too!

I think stuff that is discreet will be accepted much sooner and easier than things like chrome limbs. Things we can hide from others, we also hide from ourselves. This is especially true of things that don't remove parts of us, but just cram more stuff inside. The Datajack is a perfect example.
Critias
Does anyone else suspect that humans no matter what the advantage are not normally going to have there limbs hacked off or the eyes scooped out? I mean every operation aver performed has x failures...

Ever seen the number of people getting cosmetic surgery, in real life, to look a little younger? The number of people taking laser beams to their eyes, just to avoid having to wear glasses? The number of people getting gutted like a trout, having their digestive tract modified, then getting sewn up, because they can't/won't stick to a diet? The number of people getting stabbed and injected with ink over and over again just to draw a pretty design on their skin?

Never underestimate the capacity for humans to do silly things with their bodies for no good reason. Tack on a good reason -- quantifiable benefits to your strength, your overall health, your ability to perform tasks that are important to your everyday survival and ability to do your job -- and the sky's the limit.
Draco18s
There are a few stories on 365 Tomorrows that I'd love to point out, if I could find them.

One had a paralyzed athlete insistent on getting a full cybernetic body in order to get back out and competing as soon as possible. The doctor threw her an orange and she caught it. After the surgery he tossed her another, she crushed it into a pulp and only then realized what she'd done.

Another one about the discrimination against cybernetics in the Olympics and the main character having a cyberleg because of an accident with a large saw and having to keep it a secret at work because of the fear that the cyber-enhanced would steal all of their jobs.

Another about a girl picking out a replacement arm and wanting a "combat ready" one and the street doc advising against it because "It'd be illegal. It'd be picked up at every security checkpoint, airplanes, banks, everwhere, and having that arm would be like owning a gun that you're not registered to have, permanently attached to your body. Your future would be the streets; you're too smart, too well off to want that."
Adarael
Edit: Critias largely beat me to this post...

There are about 6.5 million automobile accidents in the USA every year, with 35,000 of them being fatalities. Yet we still drive. What's more, every 5 kph of excess speed above the limit roughly doubles your chances for an accident. So in a 60 kph zone, 65 is about 4%, 70 is 8%, 75 is 12%, etc. Yet I still speed. Why? Because when risk is low enough, people will do things that are mathematically irrational.

Witness plastic surgery and the dangers therin. With the advances in medical technology by 2070, the dangers for basic cyber implantation are about on par with current day plastic surgery, if not lower. And what's more, having access to Type 0 cloned parts means that the final risk for any operation is so low as to be negligable. If you're a SINner, your medical insurance will cover clonal parts. Why? It's cheaper than breeding a new worker, and less time-consuming.
Ascalaphus
The more the body is studied, the more we can describe and understand and feel about it as a machine - a vehicle for our personality. And when a vehicle gets outdated, or its performance isn't all it could be, you upgrade.

For another example of fairly invasive elective surgery, consider sex change operations.

Cybereyes? Well, my eyesight isn't all it could be, so I'd think about it. AR? Very nice. Playback of things I've seen? Data mining things I've seen? Nice indeed.

Cyberears? My hearing definitely could use an upgrade. Also, no more worries about hearing damage at concerts. Please add in easily-searchable playback and I'll never be embarrassed again for forgetting someone's name or what we talked about last.

Sleep regulator: likely one of the most popular implants in the industrialized world.

Dietware: for about 2500 nuyen.gif you will never fear being overweight anymore. If you compute the long-term savings in health care this might net you, that alone should justify it. But simply guiaranteeing an ideal weight will probably make this the other most-popular implant.

Cybersafety: the certainty that your kid won't accidentally shoot himself with your gun? That's worth surgery. Also, it might save your life if someone pickpockets your gun or wrestles it from your grasp.

Cerebral booster: an implant that increases your IQ by about 20-60? What could that do to your career?
blackwulf
I will throw in thought that the mental trauma of losing a limb is massive. A friend of mine as needed to scratch an itch on his right leg since 1993. It does give a certian amount of problems when you realize he lost it to an incoming shell in 93. On the other side how many people would take cyber eyes if it had 5 or 10% chance of leaving you blind? that is why the question occured to me.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jul 7 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Cybereyes? Well, my eyesight isn't all it could be, so I'd think about it. AR? Very nice. Playback of things I've seen? Data mining things I've seen? Nice indeed.
Cyberears? My hearing definitely could use an upgrade. Also, no more worries about hearing damage at concerts. Please add in easily-searchable playback and I'll never be embarrassed again for forgetting someone's name or what we talked about last.
Sleep regulator: likely one of the most popular implants in the industrialized world.
Dietware: for about 2500 nuyen.gif you will never fear being overweight anymore. If you compute the long-term savings in health care this might net you, that alone should justify it. But simply guiaranteeing an ideal weight will probably make this the other most-popular implant.
Cybersafety: the certainty that your kid won't accidentally shoot himself with your gun? That's worth surgery. Also, it might save your life if someone pickpockets your gun or wrestles it from your grasp.
Cerebral booster: an implant that increases your IQ by about 20-60? What could that do to your career?

Eyes: Later in life, maybe.
AR: yes. I'd do contacts or glasses
Ears: no
Sleep: probably yes.
Diet: no
Safety: no
Cerebral booster: no. 20-60 points would put me off the charts, I'm already not-using the smarts I have (I need something that makes me not lazy).
LurkerOutThere
Actually frankly I see it going the exact oposite of the way the OP suggests especially by 2070. I forsee those unmodded being the wierd abnormality outside of those who are magically active. If you give people the option to be stronger, smarter, more employable, more attractive etc etc they will jump on it. But one of the legacies from cyberpunk is that even in a far future setting where most cyberware can be done outpatient getting cybered is "wierd" it's also completely bs that they havn't gotten a real feeling cyberlimb yet. Human skin isn't that complex.

More cyberhate in Magicrun, woo!
Doc Chase
QUOTE (JohnNoSIN @ Jul 7 2010, 06:40 PM) *
thinking LASIK.

Mmm hm. LASIK is a laser beam that sears the eye. You're awake for the procedure.

And you can smell it.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 7 2010, 02:13 PM) *
Mmm hm. LASIK is a laser beam that sears the eye. You're awake for the procedure.

And you can smell it.

Laser eye surgery still scares me. Hell, I went under to have my wisdom teeth removed.
Doc Chase
Those I know who have had the procedure done haven't had that particular option. nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jul 7 2010, 02:04 PM) *
The more the body is studied, the more we can describe and understand and feel about it as a machine - a vehicle for our personality. And when a vehicle gets outdated, or its performance isn't all it could be, you upgrade.

The more our body is studied, the more we realize dualism is a false premise. Altering your body is in fact altering you, your personality. That is more of a concern to me than what blackwulf brought up. If I have a device that lets me see through time or whatnot, that fundamentally changes who I am on the inside (even if only slightly).

QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 02:04 PM) *
I will throw in thought that the mental trauma of losing a limb is massive. A friend of mine as needed to scratch an itch on his right leg since 1993. It does give a certian amount of problems when you realize he lost it to an incoming shell in 93. On the other side how many people would take cyber eyes if it had 5 or 10% chance of leaving you blind? that is why the question occured to me.

The mental trauma of losing a limb is massive. The mental trauma of having a limb changed cosmetically is not - and replacing an organic limb with a cyber one, as far as your brain is concerned, is indeed primarily cosmetic. As for the 5-10% chance of leaving you blind... You must be playing a different game. The rules don't even account for that possibility of catastrophic failure. By the time of Shadowrun, both of those concerns are erased. The only time you'll be facing those sorts of penalties is when you're using something still undergoing testing. It's a fringe case, and not really worth discussing.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 7 2010, 07:31 PM) *
The mental trauma of losing a limb is massive. The mental trauma of having a limb changed cosmetically is not - and replacing an organic limb with a cyber one, as far as your brain is concerned, is indeed primarily cosmetic. As for the 5-10% chance of leaving you blind... You must be playing a different game. The rules don't even account for that possibility of catastrophic failure. By the time of Shadowrun, both of those concerns are erased. The only time you'll be facing those sorts of penalties is when you're using something still undergoing testing. It's a fringe case, and not really worth discussing.

Mhm. When you have nanotech establishing and maintaining the neural connections from meat to machine, biological hardware cultured from your own cells, and 'Type O' organs that anyone can utilize without fear of rejection, well, the only risk of blindness or complication is from a poor doctor and a crappy surgical drone. biggrin.gif
blackwulf
Do the word street doc mean anything? In those circumstances 5 to 10% might be low. An artifical limb is an artifical limb It is mast definately more then cosmetic and I would suspect always will be phantom pains are more then fairly common.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 7 2010, 02:27 PM) *
Those I know who have had the procedure done haven't had that particular option. nyahnyah.gif

I haven't gotten the procedure done. That might be the difference between me and them. wink.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 07:46 PM) *
Do the word street doc mean anything? In those circumstances 5 to 10% might be low. An artifical limb is an artifical limb It is mast definately more then cosmetic and I would suspect always will be phantom pains are more then fairly common.

Surgical drones are still cheap, and a medical shop/facility is going to confer a bonus. You might go to a 'doctor's office' in the back of a bar where the anesthetic is a bottle of synthetic whiskey, but I do believe you'll go to someone who has some kind of actual training and facilities to get implant work done.
Dumori
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 7 2010, 07:21 PM) *
Laser eye surgery still scares me. Hell, I went under to have my wisdom teeth removed.

I think I'll need to be under for any surgery that to me subconscious is inflicting harm. I would freak if not. I mean having a filling was a test of will.
nezumi
QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 01:46 PM) *

Again, Man & Machine give rules for this and 'blindness' is not among them. Worst case, you get a glitchy piece of hardware and have to have it replaced, or the surgery is interrupted and has to be redone. But that's really the absolute 'worst case'.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 12:46 PM) *

For the vast majority of the population in the Shadowrun world the sort who goes to work and pays their taxes the words mean absolutely nothing. These people get their surgery in hospitals or outpatient clinics that are clean and take advantage of all the high tech 2070+ at their disposal to make cybernetic surgery quick and uncomplicated.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 7 2010, 07:39 PM) *
For the vast majority of the population in the Shadowrun world the sort who goes to work and pays their taxes the words mean absolutely nothing. These people get their surgery in hospitals or outpatient clinics that are clean and take advantage of all the high tech 2070+ at their disposal to make cybernetic surgery quick and uncomplicated.

Heck, you can wander into a mall and get all the basic stuff done before lunch. Anything more serious requires a dedicated corporate facility or a street doc with enough training and connections to get the swag you want - either way, even a shadowrunner is pretty well off in regards to medical care regarding upgrades.
Doc Chase
A double post! I've arrived.
BlueMax
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 7 2010, 11:39 AM) *

I wonder if the vast majority have stable jobs and pay taxes. However, I agree with the rest of your post.

BlueMax
JohnNoSIN
I actuallly did make a character with this in mind once. he ended up with a nanosystem that gave him just enough disease resistance so he'd never catch a vd, enough oxygenate to cure a hangover, and memory boosters so he could cram before a test. he also had the cyberdeck package for work and some genetics. i figured there would be a bias against obvious cyberware in upper management sor t of like piercings nowadays. anyone who want3ed to get all the way to management would have to avoid showing any cyber. also need to not be an orc or troll or variant or surged. I dont know if magic would help or hurt though.

so I would say that body modification fetishests wouldnt have any difficulty with cyber replacements but the middleclass wouldnt like it at all.

I also guess it would depend on how much cyberware fitted with your psychology. if it felt really different like adding a tail or osmething, I imagine that would be harder. could use a pab machine if you freaked too much though.

PAB machines give a good example of how psychology changed. whats that? depression? bad fore bottom line, see your shrink, poof better. psychology would be weird like that.
Critias
QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 01:46 PM) *
Do the word street doc mean anything? In those circumstances 5 to 10% might be low.

Yeah, or 5 to 10% might be numbers that only exist in your head, street doc or otherwise. Implantation and surgery are rules issues that've been hammered out plenty in-game -- look them up, and you'll see you're worrying about (next to) nothing.
Trevalier
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 7 2010, 01:27 PM) *

Well, the surgery itself requires the active participation of the patient, so you kind of have to be conscious. Some docs do offer a tranquilizer before the procedure to help you remain calm. Mine didn't suggest it, and I didn't ask for one (though they did give me a teddy bear during the "rest" period after cutting the flaps, which I found hilarious). I cracked jokes with the nurses in between actual lasing work.

That said, it did take years for me to work up to the decision to get it done. That was partly because I saw that the procedures were still improving, and partly because of nagging fears of ending up blind in one or both eyes. I can't say that reluctance to "upgrade" part of my body contributed anything to my hesitation. If the procedure had involved replacing my eyes with cybereyes, with the same probability of success, the same or less aftereffects, and lots of nifty extra benefits, I'd have gone for it--though I probably would have had only one eye done at a time, instead of both the same day.

Similarly, my father had his lenses replaced not too long ago, so he has actual artificial parts in his eyes. He was delighted with the results.

The upshot is, I think people can adapt pretty quickly. Currently, we seem to be adjusting faster than the tech is advancing, though that may change with bigger and more obvious cyber.
Doc Chase
Mmm, delicious valium.

Personally, I'm waiting until the operation in question drops a bit more. I'm sick of contact lenses and glasses. nyahnyah.gif
rstehwien
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 7 2010, 09:09 AM) *
Are you guys familiar with how modern laser eye surgery works? They literally cut a flap of eyeball, flip that up, let the laser carve a lens into your eye and then let that heal. They are scarring your lens prescription into your eyes by burning away parts of it. And there are, as always, cases where it goes wrong.

Yes I had modern laser eye surgery (I had something like 20/800 vision and having 20/20 vision was worth the risk). If cybereyes were equivalently routine I'd have my eyes scooped out in a heart beat. Also I've always had bad hearing and would probably have them done as well. Cyber arms and legs... no daily need so I wouldn't do it. Some repair to my lower back I'd have done.

Also as a programmer, I'd get a datajack without question (trodes just can't be as good as a direct neural interface... and the knowledgeware).

MindandPen

Personally, I've had LASIK and I have a partially rebuilt ear.

-M&P
Yerameyahu
Trodes totally are as good as a crude physical DNI. biggrin.gif Hardware is *so* retro.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 8 2010, 03:59 AM) *
Trodes totally are as good as a crude physical DNI. biggrin.gif Hardware is *so* retro.

I always have issues with headphones getting tangled up, falling out and so forth. Trodes would drive me insane.
wind_in_the_stones
I don't want to get my eyes fixed. I can't imagine life without glasses. Yes, I know that's odd, but they're a part of who I am. Also, the chance of complications makes me nervous. But as a photographer, I would be tempted to have them fixed and add a camera.
Pepsi Jedi
I've been reading the Augmentation book lately and speaking to my wife about it.

If you read the 'fluff' and not just the write up's for the actual gear, stuff like eye replacement is done at the mall now. You go in and they put you in the chair, you pick out the model you want. "Evo Eyes Model 344w3 "The Looker" or what ever. They give you an anesthetic. They pop out your old ones. Turn on and prime then new ones. Drop um in. The nanomachines make the connections to your ocular nerves or what not. You wake up an hour later with the eyes in. You have automatic AR and perfect vision.

One Tax return and I'd have my eyes done in a heart beat. Want different color? Upload it from your comlink. Cat's eyes? Different skin. And that's just the base bargen basement models. I'd probably get a level or two of enhanced vision and telescopic. Probably night vision. All for the cost of a desktop computer today.

I'd do it in a HEART beat.

The next tax return I"d get the diet cyber mod (( or slim worm symboiant.)) never have to be a fatass again.

I'd have a datajack too (( though cybereyes and wireless have made them some what unneeded.))

The real question for me would be "Would I replace "working" limbs with cyberlimbs. THAT would slow me down as tactile sensation is 'different' But I'd probably do ONE arm. Depends on the benefits.

Eyes, ears, digestion, sure thing. I wouldn't even. heh.. blink.
Yerameyahu
Well, yes. The whole point is that it's all super and great. Welcome to cyberpunk. smile.gif
Pepsi Jedi
And every step is one closer.

CNN home page. Tonight.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...or-eyes/?hpt=T2
Draco18s
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Jul 8 2010, 12:48 AM) *
And every step is one closer.

CNN home page. Tonight.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...or-eyes/?hpt=T2

Yep, there was a thread this morning.
Dahrken
QUOTE (blackwulf @ Jul 7 2010, 08:46 PM) *

I'm not sure of that. IIRC phantom pains/sensations comes from nerves and brain areas being no longer connected to the now missing body part. But with a cybernetic replacement they are connected to the new limb for control and feedback, so "phantom limb" effect does not seem too likely to me unless the limb is switched off for repair/diagnostic.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 8 2010, 12:57 AM) *

Ahhh didn't see that one. Nice. Ninja'd.
Ol' Scratch
Shadowrun's setting has pretty much mastered the full-sensory experience courtesy of simsense. Cyberlimbs take full advantage of that fact. If anything, you gain full control over how sensitive you want your artificial limbs to be; numbing it completely if you need to do something like pick up a hot pan or redline it for a little romantic fun. With that kind of technology around and in very common use, I see people having a lot fewer reservations about going chrome, especially if it would be an overall life improvement for them.

I doubt if I'd consider replacing my eyes though unless it was something really serious. Not because I'd be afraid of the technology, but just because I have a phobia about anything dealing with my eyes. Even the thought of contact lenses freak me out. But that's pretty rare considering all the people out there who wear contacts or undergo laser eye surgery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012