Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Post or Die
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
pbangarth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:55, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

Ferret's squeak draws Professor's attention. As Ferret collapses, Professor rushes to his side.

<<@team: Something got Ferret. Maybe Matrix. Checking him out.>>

An astral scan of Ferrret's aura shows a massive, frightening shock. Must have been some nasty IC. Wait a minute...

Ferret's faint squeak flags a warning in Professor's mind. He shouldn't have made a sound if he was in VR. If he wasn't in VR, this shouldn't have happened to him from IC.

A review of the astral scan shows auditory trauma response. Ferret's ears are still tightened to the point of pain. He must have heard something. But I heard nothing. As Professor pulls out some smelling salts from the first aid kit and waves them under Ferret's ample nose, he queries the team.

<<@team: Ferret seems to have been hit by some kind of sound. I heard nothing. Anything auditory just happen in there?>>
Notsoevildm
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:55, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

The chromed Ferret ran for his life. The crystal tendrils were creeping ever closer but he couldn't find the exit to jack out. Around him icons of programs and other deckers were blinking out as the virus speared them with crystal spikes. He had stripped his running programs back to the bare minimum and was redlining his deck, pushing his system response to the max but it still felt like he was running through treacle.

A tendril snatched at one of his legs, but he tore it away with codesharp digital teeth. Matrix combat had never been his strongest skill but desperation was enough in this case. He zigged and zagged, gaining some distance from the nearest spikes. He panted as his saucer eyes scanned for a way out. All across the horizon, icons were flickering as the crystal virus overwhelmed them.

In the distance, he thought he could see some figures fighting the spikes but he turned away from them and ran. And ran. Until his head was bursting with the effort. He stopped and as he did so, a spike of crystal blossomed through his chest.

//Logic processors online//CRC okay//Connecting to matrix//

"Waaagh!" wails Ferret as he jerks upright. Stubby fingers lock onto the Prof's arms with all the weedy hacker's strength. His eyes are still wide, as though seeing things that are not there.

"Not real, not real" he mumbles, releasing one of Prof's arms to rub at his chest. As his breathing slowly returns to normal, he gives the Prof a weak smile but avoids making eye contact. "The dogs. It was them freaky dogs. I heard them howling. Caught me off guard. I'm okay now, honest."

He releases the Prof's other arm and retrieves his gun from where he had dropped it. "Lucky I had the safety on, neh?"
pbangarth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

"Glad to have you back, big guy." Professor packs away the smelling salts. Ferret's aura seems to be settling. "Yeah, and I'm glad for once I didn't hear what was going on!"

<<@team: Ferret is back.>>
Warlordtheft
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:55 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

<@ team>Dogogo how-howls, ca-ca-ca-causing shasha shakes..
pbangarth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

<<@Zo: Hang in there, Zo. Deep breaths. Down into your stomach, not your chest. In through the nose and out through the mouth. Do that a few times and you'll feel better.>>
Warlordtheft

<@ team>Fra..a..a..gin e..e.easy for ya..ya..ya.. to to sa..say....
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:55 AM, Inside the Flipped Van

<<@ team: I still don't know what's so scary about these drooling mutts, but if I see any, I'll make sure their brains go flying. Never did like dogs. Find their mindless loyalty repellant.>>
Notsoevildm

Still visibly trembling, Ferret takes a few deep breaths and settles himself back behind cover, watching the street outside the bar. He switches the AR feed from the blimp to video only and pumps up the volume on some electrothrash synth music. While he might not hear any ghouls creeping up on them, he hopes it will drown out the sound of the dog's howls.

He rubs one last time at his chest as his heart rate slows from frantic to simply elevated. The crystal spike that had speared him may just have been a nightmare manifestation of his AIPS but it still hurt like hell.
pbangarth

As the shit comes closer to hitting the fan, a corner of Professor's mind wanders, marveling at how time seems to stretch in moments of crisis. Is it more than just an impression? Or is there a physiological reason why it seems as if a month has gone by in a few hours?
Warlordtheft

Zo Get .....aaaa grippp you drekhead, dammit stupid stupid doogzz!
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58 AM, Crosstown Annex

Time itself seemed to stop in the wake of the Barghests' howls. The moment played out in slow motion to those in the annex as three beasts came charging out of the tunnel at a full sprint, bloody foam slipping from the corner of their open maws. Jade could hardly have moved even if she were still in control of her body, but she was not. The combined spirit-entity formed from the Tiger and her Air Spirit was effected doubly by the howl creating an essential rift between the Tiger's instincts and the spirits alien logic. Before this rift could heal, the dogs were already on her, demonic claws digging through her and knocking her to the ground. Still gripped his shakes Zo couldn't bring his shaking hands to the task of spraying the beasts with bullets before the alpha dog's jaws clamped down on Jade's throat.

Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58 AM, Crosstown Depths

Jovan could see two more creatures, burning with hate following after him in the tunnels. They seemed to move like snails to one who could simply think of a place and be there. Still, they pursued as he flitted about.
Warlordtheft
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

Zo sent his shots trying to help Jade, sending a short bursts into each dog. But from his experience bites to the jugular even if from a devil rat were fatal.

@Team<Jades gone gone to dog chow. Gesh, and I didn't get a chance to slot her.....fraggggh>
Notsoevildm
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

Ferret closes his eyes against the scene playing out in the AR window as the dogs pull down Jade. It doesn't help. The images are being played directly onto his retinas by his comm's image link. He feels the bile rise in his throat as he mentally adds another team-mate to the already too long kill list.

This is a fragging suicide mission he thinks to himself. I don't want to die. Frag, I don't want anyone else to die.

He straightens up behind the counter, steadying his pistol with both shaking hands and mentally flicks the fire setting to 'burst'.

<<@team: Zo, get out of there. Let Oz deal with them fragging hounds. Pull pack to our location. We'll cover you.>>

Besides, even if I did make it out on my own, Throgg would kill me if I let one of his bro's get eaten by ghouls.
pbangarth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

Professor shudders. How many now, in the span of a day? With a sense of utter futility, he tries to distract the Hounds, and fires a shot into each.
Warlordtheft
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

@Team<FRAGGGGGGGH NO! Ozz Ozz get a drone in here. Dares a bunch of vermmmin dat need ta ta be ge-ge-geeked.>
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58 AM, Crosstown Annex

ZO took a firing position and let loose on the the two smaller dogs from his perch by the west exit. They tried to jump away from Jade's prone form, but still took direct hits, each of them. Meanwhile, down the street, Professor took out his pistol and fired at the brace of dogs before they could scatter. One bullet punched through a dogs ribs, killing it, while the other dog managed to get out of the way, but not of the magnum round that came from Oswald's blimp. Both smaller dogs lay dead next to Jade. The alpha dog raised its eyes at ZO and brought his head up, lifting Jade's body by the neck like a rag doll.

Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:59 AM, Crosstown Depths

The dogs had chased Jovan a ways from the room with the ghouls, not thinking much about what it was they pursued. This was an obvious mistake. At his mental command, the massive Air Spirit blinked directly in front of the charging dogs and blasted one of them with a wave of terror. The other dog tried to swat at him, but missed, while the first dog fled through the Spirit's grasp. Jovan turned and took care of the other dog with a similar blast of mental panic. The spirit again couldn't quite connect with the fleeing dog, but he quickly caught up with it and swatted it.

Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:15:58 AM, Inside the Flipped Van

The blimp's rifle cycled a fresh bullet into the chamber
<<@team: Another dog down.>>
Sephiroth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:00 AM, Crosstown Depths

Unaware of what was occurring elsewhere in the compound, Jovan watched in mild amusement as the Awakened mongrel dogs and his Air elemental failed to hit each other for a brief second. How comical. It's like there's ineptitude in this place's astral imprints in addition to fear and death. As the two dogs fled in terror, though, Jovan's projected mind followed in pursuit, reaching out to dominate and immobilize the nearest dog so that his Servant could more quickly finish it off.
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:00 AM, Crosstown Depths

The terrified dog was moving as in a nightmare. No matter how fast it ran, its attacker was perpetually at its back clawing at its very soul through the fabric of reality. Suddenly though, the very object of its fear appeared in front of it and filled its mind and soul with a single command that it could not help but obey. SUBMIT. The command resonated through its whole being. It froze in place for a moment before the spirit tore through its core in a violent slash of moving energy. The dog's soul was nearly torn to shreds by the blow, something so beyond comprehension that its mind shut down in response.
Notsoevildm
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:00, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

Ferret curses under his breath as he tries to draw a bead on the alpha dog. But between his trembling hands the little machine pistol's limited range, the smartgun target refused to settle on the beast.

I need a bigger gun. Something with range. Like a sniper rifle.

His eyes drift up to where his AR indicates that Oz's blimp should be.

Or maybe a drone with a sniper rifle. Hmm, I need to think about that.

He pulls his attention back to the action just in time to see the big dog's head come up, Jade's limp body still in it's jaws.

Oh, frag!
Warlordtheft
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:00 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

Zo looked at the remaining dog, and noted the dead form or Jade in it's mouth. He quickly lined up the shot as the dog came towards him.
pbangarth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:00, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

Professor lines up the last dog, then it bolts. "Whoa, that thing is fast." He adjusts his aim.
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:00 AM, Inside the Flipped Van

Ozzy marvled a bit as the monsterous dog turned and bolted back inside the warehouse to confront ZO.
<<@team: God damn! I get it about the dogs now. That thing was the size of a small horse and made outta nasty.>>
Sephiroth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:01 AM, Inside the Flipped Van

The floating eyeball turned in place to face the old man. "One of the dogs has been incapacitated astrally, and a second has been terrorized by yours truly and is currently preoccupied. What is the situation with the others? Particularly the female and the ork boy - are they faring well against the feral ghouls?"
Warlordtheft
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:00 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

Zo saw the dog seemingly teleport itself toward him.With the door covering him he pushed it towrds the dog ducking down. The big mongrel dog, caught off guard glanced off the door, spilling itsellf past the staircase.
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:01 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

Unfazed by the miss, the giant dog bounded off the wall and sped back around the stairs in a blur, charging still at the shaking Ork ganger.
Zo could feel the blood spray as he showered the beast with bullets on its trip back to the front of the steps.
The dog sped on, mouth foaming up with blood from its perforated lungs.
Notsoevildm
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:01, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

"Frag, that dumb orc is going to get his ass eaten by that hound and then my chummer Throgg will take it out on my ass for getting his bro killed. Frag, they're probably cousins or some shit. Frag! Cover me, Prof!"

Ferret moves from the safety of the bar into the street and hustles carefully toward the Annex.

I need a bigger gun. I'm gonna die. Throgg's gonna kill me anyway. Man, this is so fragged up!
Warlordtheft

As the dog came into view, Zo pulled the trigger quicker than he thought possible. As if on reflex.

"EAT THAT YOU FRAGGING DANDELION EATING SLOTTING EXCUSE OF A MUTT!"
pbangarth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:01, Lusty Wife Bar and Grill, outside Annex in Redmond

Professor stares with dismay as Ferret leaves the cover of the bar and heads out into the open. "Not sure why you're doing this, chum, but I have your back covered."
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:01 AM, Inside the Flipped Van

Oswald scrolled the gunsights over to the window where he might see the dog and fired a half-blind shot. The bullet cracked the concrete on the wall right after the dog blurred past.
<<@team: Miss! Wait! I've got movement comming from the southern position. Some sort of stubby creatures advancing on the garage door! Permission to fire!>>
pbangarth

<<@team: Oswald, that stubby creature could be Ferret. Take care.>>
Notsoevildm

Ferret freezes in place, realising just how exposed he is.

<<Oz, I'm moving up on Zo's position to support him. So don't shoot me okay! Here's my location <<location>>. Is that me you're seeing or are there other 'stubby creatures' out here?>>

He stays still, waiting for the rigger's response, while scanning around for other 'stubby creatures'.
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16 AM, Inside the Flipped Van

Oz fired a precautionary shot into each of the dead Barghests and then once into the Tiger corpse that seemed to appear in thier midst.
<<@team: Just fucking with you short-stack! I been watching your thermals for minutes now. You're clear to advance.>>
Warlordtheft

"FRAG OFF AND DIE!!!" ZO grined as the dog bareled closer, spraying more buletts into the soon to be corpse.
Saint Sithney
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

The monsterous, bear-like creature caught two more bullets to its face and chest as it lept up to tackle the fear-clenched ganger and, instead of pouncing into him, stumbled in the attempt and burried its bloody maw between the top two metal stairs with a wet smack. Zo could hear it groan and gurgle a little as its legs still twitched, trying to find purchase on the metal grating of the industrial steps. While Zo braced his still shaking form against the railing, he heard three distant cracks and saw the corpses outside twitching from incomming fire. The two dogs and, apparently, an 8-foot-long tiger split like over-ripened fruit on the pavement outside. At the entrance to the garage, Ferret appeared, breathing more heavily than a cautious man might in a place so soaked with toxins. Around him and throughout the garage lay the remains of nine or so ghouls, some still making feeble attempts to move their battered forms. The whole scene was one of slaughter. Zo and Ferret took a silent moment looking it over before they spoke.
Notsoevildm

The bulky respirator makes Ferret look even more rodent-like and his breathing sound more labored than it is. Although the combination of fear, adrenaline and his general lack of condition may also be contributing factors. Between breaths, he surveys the carnage and finally mutters, "Thought you might need a hand, but you seem to have things pretty much under control."
Warlordtheft
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:02 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

"Yeah, jest jest, fragging vermin, all of it...wherz wherz Jadeez corpse? One of the doggies got her in the jugular? Actually dis one dis one did.." Zo points to the one at the bottom of the stairs. As he does so, he ejects the current clip in puts it in one of his ammo pockets and pulls out a fresh one. Barely doing so cause of the shaking.

"Fra..Fragging dogs"

<@Team>Any word from Jovie??
Saint Sithney

Stillness had returned, to the scene again, so Oswald went back to pinging the radar and circling the blimp south towards his current position.
<<@team: No contact as of yet. Last word was he would bug out if anything popped off. Hopefully he didn't run into an X factor like another Viper spirit.>>
Sephiroth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16:01 AM, Crosstown Depths

Jovan's astral form flew past the Air Spirit in pursuit of the second terrified dog. That looks like roughly one hectometer from here to the warehouse, he thought, doing a quick mental calculation. That gives me a few precious seconds - all the time in the world at the speed of thought. Let's see if we cannot tinker a bit with this dog's brain.

He Gazed over at his Servant of Air behind him. Would you like to secure the exit up ahead? Or shall we deal with this one before it flees completely? He began working his mental spellslinging and innate abilities on the fleeing dog and communicating with Oswald through his watcher while he waited for the spirit's reply.

Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:16 AM, Crosstown Depths

"Did my watcher not speak clearly into your mind, old man? Speak up. I have two of Archer's dogs taken care of at the moment. Is everything all right aboveground? No one has been hit by any bodily juices from the ghouls, have they?"
Notsoevildm

Ferret tiptoes carefully through the carnage, being careful not to touch anything. As he goes, he stops to put a single round into the head of any of the still twitching ghouls, the machine pistol making a soft 'phut' sound with each shot. Then he spots the dead tiger, it's throat ripped out. He doesn't need his logic processors to put two and two together. He points the body out to Zo.

"Oh frag, I think that was Jade."
Warlordtheft
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:17 am, Deep inside the Annex in Redmond

"Frag.ag--a shapshifter, grabab my flashpack from her corpse then. Does she have anythin else of v--v-value on on er?"

<@Team>"Anyone got any microdrones or somethin. Da Da room with da tru-trucks probably gots more more vermin ta ta deal deal wit."
Glyph
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:25 AM, Void's apartment, outskirts of Loveland, Puyallup Barrens.

Near Loveland, on the outskirts of the Puyallup Barrens, is a renovated, but still dingy-looking three story brownstone apartment, with dirty grey bricks, a rickety fire escape, and an elevator that hasn't worked in years.

An apartment on the second floor is not quite as squalid as the others - a fresh layer of beige paint has been unevenly glopped on the walls, and it is relatively neat and clean, if a bit spartan.

Void, an rail-thin but intense ork with unkempt white hair and cyan cybereyes, sits cross-legged, his back cushioned a bit by a beanbag chair. He is trying to meditate, murmuring mantras to himself as classical music plays soothingly in the background. It's not really working.

It wasn't the job. The job was simple enough, just accompany a crew of orks, as they moved some boxes from the tunnels of Carbonado to the smuggling hub of Loveland, to meet with the go-gang taking the contraband the rest of the way. It went well enough, and he got paid, and now he's back home, where he can take off that damn breather and relax.

Or try to, anyways. He feels restless, despite the late hour, as if he is waiting for something. He absently walks to the small kitchenette area of his flat, taking a protein drink out of the mini-fridge (which has a clunky battery pack nearly as big as it is, to power it during the downtimes when the boosted power cuts out). Healthy food, healthy body, healthy mind. A wrapper from a chocobomb bar, from a moment of weakness yesterday, seems to look accusingly at him. He absently tosses it into the trash - he can never abide clutter for very long.

Hmmm, he thinks. Have to admit, it's been a bit lean lately. Small-time work, no challenges. I suppose that's the trouble with working for yourself. Damn it, Mick, when are you going to line up some decent work for me? I need a big job. And some big pay. After all, as Sun Tzu says, "For them to perceive the advantage of defeating the enemy, they must also have their rewards."
pbangarth

<<@team: Seems like everyone is moving inside. Should I follow?>>
Notsoevildm

Ferret prods the dead shifter with one foot, just to be sure she's dead, before searching carefully for the ork's flashpak and anything else of value.

<<@Team: I don't really want to go in there. Wonder if they'd be willing to negotiate again, now that we thinned out their numbers a bit?>>

He looks down at the shifter's corpse. "Plus they don't know that Jade is dead."

<@Team: Oz, can the blimp still see their commlinks? I was thinking we might arrange a little parley with Mr Archer. I'm not too keen on taking on him and the rest of the ghouls without Jade.>>
Warlordtheft

Zo covers the entrance from which the ghouls. I don't think they'd be in a negotiating mood. We can probably delay dem a bit.

"Ferret can you you, maaake sure dat da da ghouls have no coms. I donna want them calling up da 162's and gettin reinforcements."

<@team>Ye-Yeah negotiate with them as theyey gnaw ya arm arm off."
Notsoevildm

Ferret smiles at Zo's comment.

"This is a dead zone, Zo. Even I don't have a matrix connection. Only reason we still have basic comms is that Oz's blimp is acting as a local hub. So unless they got a hard line, they aren't calling anyone for backup."

<@team>Zo is probably right. I doubt they are going to negotiate seeing as we just killed a bunch of them. Prof, you better get up here. We might need to go flush them out after all."

I am so getting me some drones if I make it out of here alive.
pbangarth

Fuck.

<<@team: Heading to the main doors. Oz, no need to tweak my moustache, so no jokes about stumpy targets.>>
Saint Sithney

Back in AR now, Oswald responded to the spirit.

"Yeah, I don't hear too good in VR. Sorry about that. We've got about 8 dead bezerkers and 3 dead dogs over here. Also a dead tiger. Did they have a tiger down there? Anyway, the punker girl, Jade, got killed. Can you get sights on Archer or BDLL?"

<<@team: Jove says he handled two of the dogs which leaves us with only the armed Ghouls remaining. I can't find any of their signals now, so they're either shutting off their comms or they've gone deeper underground. I wouldn't touch any of the corpses left by that scrum unless you've got some sort of prophylactic. Skin to skin is a bad idea, and anything else you use to move the bodies ought to be bleached or burned.>>
Warlordtheft

Zo ponders Oz's comment about the ghoul contamination. Looking at his flashpack covered in gore, he shakes his head in disapproval.

"not fragging wo-worth it, Ferr-erret"

<@TEAM>Well keep track of da da c-comms in da ar-area Oz. THanks for da-da advice. We-we'd nee-ed a tanker truck full of bleach ta ta clean,clean dis place up. Prof, Oz, based on where da -da wounds are, Jade waz-az da-da tiger.
pbangarth
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:17 am, outside the Annex in Redmond

<<@team: Oh yeah, that was her. I saw it go down. Watch those damn dogs, they are very dangerous. I'm outside the building now. Heading in.>>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012