Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real magic vs SR magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
krishcane
Just a quick question for those of you who practice magic IRL... I've been practicing for a number of years, and I've never experienced anything like the SR concept of Drain when I'm conjuring or energy-moving. If anything, I feel invigorated after my work. The only time I've felt tired is after engaging some kind of negative energy or entity -- which is more akin to SR banishing, cleansing, or astral combat.

Does this mesh with others' experiences, or do you any of you experience a basis for Drain the way SR handles it?

--K
John Campbell
I am so going to laugh my ass off if the Awakening actually happens and you don't really get any majyckyl powyrz.
Siege
Now now, be nice -- just because you don't believe in his(?) faith is no reason to ridicule it.

Although I must admit, it's never stopped me from heckling the Catholics...

-Siege

Edit: And while I don't practice such faith personally, it's a common theme in fiction and most RPG systems that casting spells runs the risk of taxing a user's energy.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Siege)
it's a common theme in fiction and most RPG systems that casting spells runs the risk of taxing a user's energy.

Yeah. Look at Raistlin. I bet all 3 million of them are really drained after they cast their spells.
krishcane
Who are they?

--K
Tziluthi
Drain is a game mechanic, just like recoil, distance modifiers and street index, that limits the power of characters. That said, you can probably be sure that none of the game designers have actually performed magic, if indeed there is such a thing beyond the realm of fiction, so it is unlikely that they have anything to base these mechanics on.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Siege)
Now now, be nice -- just because you don't believe in his(?) faith is no reason to ridicule it.

I have no idea what krishcane's faith even is. I do know that he's made a claim to having mystical powers that, if true, should be objectively verifiable. That is, not a matter of faith, but a matter of fact. And if it's not objectively verifiable, well, that's not very impressive magic in my book. One might even question whether it actually exists, or is merely a product of the practitioner's imagination.

Now, I'll admit that it's entirely possible that krishcane, if challenged, would be able to demonstrate said powers. However, given the number of self-proclaimed practitioners of majyck that I've encountered over the years (I've lost count, but it's been quite a few), and the number which have actually demonstrated any paranormal capabilities whatsoever (exactly zero), I'm giving him pretty poor odds.

See, if someone claims that God created the universe, I'll shrug and nod. I don't know, I can't know, so it's a matter of faith. However, if someone claims that God has given them the power to walk on water, I'm going to be breaking out the kiddie pool and demanding a demonstration, and if they can't cross it without getting their feet wet, I'll feel no remorse about mocking them as a fool, a fraud, or both.
Siege
To be clear, Krish didn't make any claims that readily lend themselves to being proven or disproven in my opinion. Kinda like Christians and their prayers, I suppose.

In fact, I likened his statements to the bulldrek of a pseudo-pagan-esque freak I have the misfortune to know who routinely makes vague allusions to his "powers as a magus". It only goes downhill from there.

But he (the freak) likens his claims of powers to a religious faith -- not unlike voodoo or Santaria. He knows (more or less) what I think of him and it's not an issue raised in discussion.

So, to summarize the reason for my initial post -- regardless of my opinion on the subject, I was trying to avoid the potential this thread had to erupt into a fireball.

-Siege
Raptor1033
well when i first starting reading this thread i thought it was a joke, but now.... siege, don't stop interfere! you and i both know how hilarious this would turn out if allowed to explode devil.gif
Siege
Yeah well, I'm trying not to give the Admins any more headaches.

I remember the detonation of the Lounge and wasn't terribly amused.

Sorry to sound sanctimonious -- my head is killing me.

-Siege

Edit: nyahnyah.gif
John Campbell
The thing is, Shadowrun magic is readily objectively verifiable. My PC can levitate himself and other things, can hurl lightning from his hands, can kill people just by looking at them, and he's quite capable of demonstrating this, with fair reliability, to any skeptic that might require proof.

That being the case, if krishcane's original post does not constitute a claim to be able to do some things that are readily objectively verifiable, then what he's talking about is not particularly comparable to Shadowrun magic. Comparing them, therefore, is pretty pointless.

And if it does constitute a claim to be able to do some things that are objectively verifiable, I, for one, want to see the objective verification.

(And I'm trying to be reasonable and not break out the flamethrower... though I'll admit that my initial comment was a little on the inflammatory side. You should see some of the comments that I've typed but didn't post. I'd also have trouble believing that krishcane didn't see this coming.)
Siege
Woah...deja vu.

Fabu, glad that's settled.

-Siege
Glyph
Shadowrun magic is very explicitly NOT based on any real-world religions, probably precisely so they could avoid that kind of controversy. Now, various religions with a tradition of "magic" have meshed their belief systems in with magic as it works after the awakening, but you also have people who take a rationalist approach to it, or follow their own ideosyncritic belief systems, and they can cast spells too.

Any kind of belief system can be used as a basis for magic in Shadowrun - it is the belief, not what the belief is in, that lets the awakened character tap into the magic. So, I don't look for any real similarities between Shadowrun magic and anything in the real world - despite the gritty cyberpunk setting, it is high-fantasy magic: tossing fireballs, flying through the air, creating magical force fields, etc.
Pathwalker
Only would get tired doing something that would take away from ones own energy. Focusing ones energy would raise it, were as just calling out for any spirits in the area to come help you wouldn't take much if any.

or do you any of you experience a basis for Drain the way SR handles it?

No, I don't roll dice every time I banish negative energy or get rid of someone's pain to see if I pass out on the ground afterwards, and I'd probably look quite silly if I did. biggrin.gif

As far as RL magic being possible, minor things at best. If you want actual proof, take careful look at some martial arts. Very basic form of energy focus I learned from such:
1.put arm out, keep muscles relaxed, have someone hold both upper and lower arm and bend arm back at elbow.
2.Repeat, keep muscles tight, try to resist them bending it back.
3.Repeat, imagine solid line/chain between hand and whatever wall your pointing at, keep muscles loose.

Now, if done right, 3 they can't bend your arm back, 1 and 2 they can. Since 2 obviously using more physical force then 3, if anyone else can come up with a logical explination without including magic/energy, I'd like to hear it.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Feb 28 2004, 08:08 PM)
If someone claims that God has given them the power to walk on water, I'm going to be breaking out the kiddie pool and demanding a demonstration, and if they can't cross it without getting their feet wet, I'll feel no remorse about mocking them as a fool, a fraud, or both.

I have walked on water in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and in the mountains near Denver without getting my feet wet. I claim no special powers, and am willing to teach the technique. Some who try it get hurt, but with practice I feel safe using my technique most anywhere.

Neither my Dad nor I did it during our last trips to the Holy Lands, but I recently did it in Texas.
John Campbell
Come to think of it, I've driven on water...

I didn't take any Drain, either.
Diesel
I broke my arm walking on water. That's physical drain there, boys and girls.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Pathwalker)
Since 2 obviously using more physical force then 3, if anyone else can come up with a logical explination without including magic/energy, I'd like to hear it.

Do you really want to know? Obviously in 3 the person is still keeping his muscles tight to resist, consciously or not. If someone is telling you they don't, they are lying.

If using imagination to make up a chain helps, it only proves that the brain really has a great deal of control over your whole body, which shouldn't be that surprising anyway. Compare the survival rate of cancer for people who believe they will survive to the people who believe they'll die of it. Or compare the general health of people suffering from depression to people who are generally cheery. Absolutely nothing magical about that whatsoever.

QUOTE (krishkane)
Who are they?

Isn't Raistlin, the legendary goth-nerd-weakling-mage archetype from Weiss & Hickmann's Dragonlance books, cool anymore? I know that name is still used quite a lot online... And he used to cough up blood after every fireball.
Siege
Yep -- Raistlin being a singular entity, as opposed to the "they".

Unless he's referring to the hordes of posers copying the name.

-Siege
Austere Emancipator
I am referring exactly to that particular horde. I am certain a significant portion of them also believe they cough up blood when they toss fireballs.
Siege
Ahhhh.

-Siege
Raptor1033
hehe i know someone out of said horde. he bleached his hair, originally black, and got specially made gold-colored contacts with an hour-glass shaped pupil. he looked reaaaaaally funny cause the bleach job wasn't particularly well done, plus he had a wide head, and seeing a guy looking like that working in the grill of a mcdonald's is almost thought-provoking smile.gif
Siege
Yeah, the thought being..."How hungry am I?"

Followed rapidly by, "The nearest exit is..."

That's an image I'm going to have a hard time shaking.

-Siege
Zazen
QUOTE (krishcane)
Just a quick question for those of you who practice magic IRL... I've been practicing for a number of years, and I've never experienced anything like the SR concept of Drain when I'm conjuring or energy-moving. If anything, I feel invigorated after my work.

You're obviously not doing it correctly nyahnyah.gif
Crimson Jack
What exactly is meant by energy-moving?
Czar Eggbert
I know that any topic that leans in any direction outside the known physical world leads many people taking a sarcastic approach, but if you don't believe in magic, then why even bother responding to the post?

I don't 100% believe in magic, in fact that what people tell me is holding me back in my studies, but I have seen/felt/heard things that can not be explained by the known laws of physics. I have participated in rituals, which in my mind were nothing but energy gathering and centering exorcizes, and I think that is why I have never experenced "drain". Think about it, magic, as it is used in the Real World, is NOT the magic of SR. The energy used/created in a luck/wealth/health spell is nothing compaired to the energy it would take to create a Force 1 illusion spell in SR. Parth of the way I view drain is that the mage is an astral circuit breaker, and SR magic puts more stress on the body as it draws a higher voltage and current. IRL magic take a long time and produces less flashy results thus not straining the breaker.

IRL a health spell is not going to heal multiple bullit wounds 30 seconds as if they never happened.

IRL it takes much longer than 3 seconds to light a match with your mind*, nevermind a fireball.

I see Mages in SR as being very inexperenced in manipulating the sudden influx of energies, and, instead of comming up with a way do do it safely, the deal with it in the same way that their perdessors did not caring that they run the chance of burning themselves out.

-Eggy

*Now before some smartass desides to say that they can light a match with there mind in less than a second, let me clarify. I am talking about lighting a match with out using any part of your, or anyone elses, body. Using only the power of your mind/soul/whetever.
krishcane
I am so pleased to see some thoughtful answers to my questions. Thank you to those folks. It sounds like no one has experienced something like drain, although Czar Eggbert thinks we might if we could actually throw fireballs.

If anyone out there does experience drain, please chime in. I would have some further questions for you.

As for the majority of the responders, I see the topic aroused a certain amount of emotion, beyond what I expected. With the exception of Crimson Jack's post, I was not able to discern any questions clearly, although some were implied, but I am happy to answer any direct questions for the curious. I do think it's a tragedy to live blind to the beauty and power around us.

Crimson Jack asked, "What exactly is meant by energy moving?"

That was basically a catch-all phrase for any practice related to moving energy around, either in the body or out in the world. The next obvious question is, "What do I mean by energy?" I'm referring to that intangible "stuff" that people experience and call by many names -- mana, ki, spirit, and many more. "Energy" is a common enough name in our culture.

All people experience it, but most Americans ignore it or dismiss the sensation of energy as not important, not real, or just a quirk or emotional response. Carefully observing those little quirks -- twiches in your muscles, feelings in your head, the stir of the wind, the ambient light in the room -- patterns emerge that correlate to real-world events. The actual experience of energy is a little different for everyone, so each person has to study their experience of it to figure out what the messages mean, but once a person gains that experience, it's a very distinct and clear experience. It is also distinctly different from drug-use, one's own brain-chatter and thought-stream, and sleep-deprivation or other body-abuse.

The actual energy-sense is much like the balance-sense, in that it is intuitive and distinct, but hard to write down. How do you "know" when you're upside down? Well, you just know, thanks to life experience correlated with visual cues. Energy-sensing is the same way.

Anyway, beyond energy sensing, one can push energy around through visualization, movement, and lots of other techniques. Having a sense of what patterns in the tangible world are associated with which energy senses, you can influence the tangible world by moving energy around. Probably the all-time most popular thing to influence this way is health -- boosting the immune system, alleviating pain in self and others, etc. Next most popular, in general, is probably information-gathering -- divining the future, remote-sensing, sensing danger, etc. Beyond that, some people work to influence the weather, the thoughts and emotions of others, their luck, and other seemingly "random" things.

It's not a substitute for physics, and people unfortunately get confused about this all the time (both practitioners and non-pracitioners). Physics doesn't stop for magic. However, physics leaves some lee-way, and magic works in that leeway.

--K
GunnerJ
Well, while I'm skeptical of your claims to be able to perform magical acts, I'm also curious about it.

1) What do you mean by "magic?" Is this a set, single body of ideas or are there different forms? How would you know if one proposed method of magic is real and another not?

2) When did you start practicing what you call "magic?" What/who did you learn from?

3) What types of effects do you feel you have observed or brought about through the practice of magic?

4) If someone doubted your claims but was interested in testing them, what would you tell him if you were inclined to convince him that you are indeed capable of what you claim?
Zazen
That's why this topic was greeted with such emotion, because us non-superstitious folk don't like being told that we're just deluded and incapable of seeing the truth. I have a few friends who are really into this kind of stuff, and it bugs the crap out of me when they act condescending towards me because I'm closed-minded or blocked or whatever.

Because if you can do real magic, DO SOMETHING TANGIBLE. Levitate a penny. Set a fire from across the room. Read my mind. SOMETHING, y'know? Otherwise don't tell me that I'm ignoring and dismissing my natural attunement to the energies of magic. If they were there, you'd actually be doing something with them other than chasing ghosts and leylines and feeling mysterious energies which might be last nights burrito.

Sorry about the outburst, but it really burns me when my friends do this and this just brought up memories of it. Believe what you want to believe, but don't tell me that I'm blind.
tjn
QUOTE (krishcane)
How do you "know" when you're upside down? 

As far as the other stuff, I dunno...

But this is from the fluid in the middle or inner ear (I forget which off hand.)

When gravity pulls it up from our perspective, we understand we're upside down.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Pathwalker)
As far as RL magic being possible, minor things at best.  If you want actual proof, take careful look at some martial arts.  Very basic form of energy focus I learned from such:
1.put arm out, keep muscles relaxed, have someone hold both upper and lower arm and bend arm back at elbow.
2.Repeat, keep muscles tight, try to resist them bending it back.
3.Repeat, imagine solid line/chain between hand and whatever wall your pointing at, keep muscles loose.

Now, if done right, 3 they can't bend your arm back, 1 and 2 they can.  Since 2 obviously using more physical force then 3, if anyone else can come up with a logical explination without including magic/energy, I'd like to hear it.

In the interests of expanding the field of human knowledge, I drafted a couple of the newbie fighters into helping me test this experimentally at fighter practice this afternoon. So as not to bias the results, I did not tell either of them my reasons for conducting the experiment, nor what the expected results were to be.

One of the newbies had difficulty relaxing his arm while visualizing the chain. It was rather more difficult to bend his arm in scenario 3 than in scenario 1. There was no significant difference with the other newbie. In neither case was scenario 3 more difficult than scenario 2.

I gave it a go myself, and mixed up the scenarios to 3,1,2 order so as not to provide them with predictable results. The newbies reported no significant difference between scenario 1 and scenario 3. Neither of them were able to bend my arm at all in scenario 2.

This is obviously a small sample set, and for true scientific validity, it would need to be conducted on a much larger set, with actual instruments to measure the forces involved, and, ideally, using double-blind testing so that the assessment of resistance was made without knowing which scenario it was.

My preliminary conclusions, however, are as follows:
a) Visualizing the chain has no effects that are not readily explainable as psychological.
b) If you really want to prevent someone from twisting your arm, spending ten years swinging a broadsword is a much more effective way to accomplish it than using magic.

QUOTE (Czar Eggbert)
I know that any topic that leans in any direction outside the known physical world leads many people taking a sarcastic approach, but if you don't believe in magic, then why even bother responding to the post?

Because I have an interest in the truth. Because I don't like bullshit artists. Because I'm a sarcastic bastard and people who believe things that are not only not provably true but actually provably untrue are really juicy targets. All of those are valid statements, to some degree.
moosegod
QUOTE (krishcane)
Just a quick question for those of you who practice magic IRL... I've been practicing for a number of years, and I've never experienced anything like the SR concept of Drain when I'm conjuring or energy-moving. If anything, I feel invigorated after my work. The only time I've felt tired is after engaging some kind of negative energy or entity -- which is more akin to SR banishing, cleansing, or astral combat.

Does this mesh with others' experiences, or do you any of you experience a basis for Drain the way SR handles it?

--K

All viciousness, aside, the reason you aren't experiencing drain is that you aren't ahving the obvious effects SR entails. You aren't whipping off fireballs or taking over someones mind, so your drain (if any) would be ridiculously minimal or drawn out for a long enough time to be unnoticeable.

Just a reminder- All religions practice magic. Just because you call it "prayer" and your Invisible Sky Man is named Jehovah changes nothing.
John Campbell
It's occurred to me, on giving the matter some more thought while showering off the grime from practice, that Pathwalker may have meant to keep all of the muscles in the arm tight in scenario 2, in which case, it could very well have the effects described. This is not because of any magical energy flow, however, but because the muscles in the arm are arranged in opposing pairs, so as to be able to move it in both directions, and tightening all of them forces the opposing pairs - the bicep and tricep, in this case - to fight each other. The dupe is actually exerting a lot more effort in scenario 2, but most of it is being wasted in countering the effects of the opposing muscles, and when you try to bend his arm, his own bicep is helping you do it, partially offsetting the effects of his tricep.

I didn't observe this effect because neither of our newbies are quite new enough to still make that mistake. They've both been fighting for about six months, and we've trained the stiff-armed seal-clubbing instinct entirely out of one of them, and the other has it intellectually, though it's not yet instinctive for him, so he only does it in combat when he's thinking about other things (like how to stop the experienced fighters from hitting him in the face at will). And I never did it.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (krishcane @ Feb 29 2004, 11:06 PM)

The actual energy-sense is much like the balance-sense, in that it is intuitive and distinct, but hard to write down. How do you "know" when you're upside down? Well, you just know, thanks to life experience correlated with visual cues. Energy-sensing is the same way.

The things that constitute a person's sense of balance are very well known, and very easy to "write down." There are spatial conceptual centers in the brain, there's fluid in your choclea (sp?) that contributes to balance. When a person is upside down, their blood is drawn towards the head, the tug of gravity pulls on extremities like arms, hair falls down, etc, etc. Your analogy doesn't hold water.

2 nuyen.gif fwiw

edit: tjn beat me to it. And he/she is absoloutly right.
Sahandrian
I think the point was not "How can you possibly know you're upside down" but more that, when you're hanging upside down with your eyes closed an no other clues to the fact, you don't think "the shifting flud in my inner ear has brushed against the microscopic hairs of my cochlea in a most unusual way, perhaps I am not standing upright." You think "why am I upside down?" You don't have to know why you can sense it, you just do and give it no more thought.

Edit: As for the writing part, give a written description of the difference of how it feels to be upside down as opposed to right side up. Most people will come up with something along the lines of "it just feels different" with some amount of detail.
Reaver
QUOTE (krishcane)
I am so pleased to see some thoughtful answers to my questions. Thank you to those folks. It sounds like no one has experienced something like drain, although Czar Eggbert thinks we might if we could actually throw fireballs.

If anyone out there does experience drain, please chime in. I would have some further questions for you.

As for the majority of the responders, I see the topic aroused a certain amount of emotion, beyond what I expected. With the exception of Crimson Jack's post, I was not able to discern any questions clearly, although some were implied, but I am happy to answer any direct questions for the curious. I do think it's a tragedy to live blind to the beauty and power around us.

Crimson Jack asked, "What exactly is meant by energy moving?"

That was basically a catch-all phrase for any practice related to moving energy around, either in the body or out in the world. The next obvious question is, "What do I mean by energy?" I'm referring to that intangible "stuff" that people experience and call by many names -- mana, ki, spirit, and many more. "Energy" is a common enough name in our culture.

All people experience it, but most Americans ignore it or dismiss the sensation of energy as not important, not real, or just a quirk or emotional response. Carefully observing those little quirks -- twiches in your muscles, feelings in your head, the stir of the wind, the ambient light in the room -- patterns emerge that correlate to real-world events. The actual experience of energy is a little different for everyone, so each person has to study their experience of it to figure out what the messages mean, but once a person gains that experience, it's a very distinct and clear experience. It is also distinctly different from drug-use, one's own brain-chatter and thought-stream, and sleep-deprivation or other body-abuse.

Anyway, beyond energy sensing, one can push energy around through visualization, movement, and lots of other techniques. Having a sense of what patterns in the tangible world are associated with which energy senses, you can influence the tangible world by moving energy around. Probably the all-time most popular thing to influence this way is health -- boosting the immune system, alleviating pain in self and others, etc. Next most popular, in general, is probably information-gathering -- divining the future, remote-sensing, sensing danger, etc. Beyond that, some people work to influence the weather, the thoughts and emotions of others, their luck, and other seemingly "random" things.

It's not a substitute for physics, and people unfortunately get confused about this all the time (both practitioners and non-pracitioners). Physics doesn't stop for magic. However, physics leaves some lee-way, and magic works in that leeway.

--K

The flame comments aside, yes, I have expereinced what I could best describe as drain. I tried changing weather patterns because we were having a really bad drought back in the late 90's ('96 I think). The forecasts called for at least another week or two or dry spell before we would see any relief.

I went out into the back yard, drew a circle and performed a ritual to change the weather. I don't quite remember how long that lasted and I vaguely remember going back into the house. Good thing I worked in an on-call capacity cause I slept almost three days straight after that. Come to find out it rained the next day and for a whole week straight. There have been times in the past I've experienced slight headaches and such, but if anything, it's more of a fatiguing experience. Not like drain as described in Shadowrun. I hope that helps krishcane. smile.gif

As a side note, no plant life grew where that circle was for almost seven years. All around it I had weeds growing knee high (I hate doing yard work). The various family pets though those years always stayed away from the corner of the yard as well.

And before anyone goes off, I don't care if you don't believe it. I'm not here, nor do I practice for your belief. I practice for my beliefs and my religion. It's your choice what you choose to believe or not believe... but that's your choice. I'd appreciate it, as would all of us, if you wouldn't flame us because of ours. smile.gif
Toptomcat
Krishcane?
Frankly, I'd love to beleive in magic, but being heardheaded as well as openminded I'm unwilling to do so until I see some objective proof.
Please look into this if you feel that you really practice magic. It involves a million-dollar prize if you can demonstrate paranormal ability.
http://www.randi.org/research/
Lantzer
It says a lot that none of the famous 'Gifted' people have even attempted to try for the money. The list of excuses is entertaining.

The deep silence from them is very telling. At times, Randi has practically begged them to come and take the money. The point of his skepticism, after all, isn't to say that there is not, and cannot be any such thing as magic, or psychics, or aliens, or whatnot.

His point is that you should not take other people's money and adoration if you can't prove you can actually _do_ any of the things you claim.
Siege
While Randi's point is well made, if people want to give John Edwards (the psychic) money for his hocus pocus and believing in what he has to offer, is it really that different from people buying their way into Heaven with televangelists?

Or that Psychic from Jamaica -- I can't remember her name now, but she got busted by the FCC (I think) for fraud.

The only difference being, televangelists don't have the fine print that reads "for entertainment purposes only", although perhaps they should.

If people want to buy into it and are willing to spend their money, so be it.

-Siege
rlemansky
Greetings.

Drain as such, no, never experienced it. I do therapeutic massage and bodywork (with a smattering of 'energy manipulations'-polarity, reiki, energy balancing, even some pendulum work and crystal therapy-so I guess I'm one of those New Agers, even though I was working on a degree in Engineering Science). Mostly, I get a high off of bodywork, and maybe a bit of butterflies in the stomach if someone's doing energy work near me.

One of the well known and often documented effects of bodywork, for a practitioner, is picking up a patient/clients illness or attitude from doing the work, if one doesn't ground oneself properly or rinse the hands with cold water after the session. Shoulder pains, upset stomach, sinus congestion (OK, THAT one could be contagious), even anger or depression can all be taken on. Ask a bodyworker about it at some point (even the ones at PT and rehab clinics).

Psychosomatic-possibly, but how can that be possible if the patient/client hasn't mentioned the particular malady?

'Energy work', in it's various forms, is as close to SR 'healing magic' in RL as one can get. It doesn't 'drain', per se, but usually you're merely a conduit for energy (I know I'm losing people here). I've seen it 'work'-people have odd sensations, illnesses do clear up (I used to have horrible knee problems and a session of energy work set them right, and they've yet to bother me since), and the practitioner can detect where problems lie-ones that are then later verified by scientific, medical examination.

Things like intuition (especially when practicing the martial arts) can be effective and useful. I've known astrology (natal charts) to be spot on for most people-even when there's conflicts, I think most of us will admit to being bundles of often conflicting drives. I've seen Tarot and other divinations lead to rather unusual coincidences-and if you start to chart the coincidences, you'll find that many of them do pan out. Try this-start writing down the times when a song pops into your head and you turn on the radio to that song-or when a person comes unbidden to your mind and you hear from him/her out of the blue, or the unusual re-occurence of a particular number combination-it can be staggering.

Sure, you can chalk it up to coincidence, but what if it's not? Noticing the pattern's one thing, and most RL magic is geared towards nudging coincidences to a desired end. I've done blind Feng Shui evaluations and painted an accurate picture of the lives of the inhabitants of the house, doubled and then doubled again productivity in a business (to the tune of $250,000 in a quarter) with Feng Shui, seen a guy's love life turn completely around through placement of a crystal (no dates in two years, then twelve girls in twelve days). We even got my wife a job through a Tantrik Magic Ritual.

I know 'sensitive' people who don't have a clue. I usually run GWAR concerts through my head when getting energy work practiced on me, to see how sensitive the practitioner (or 'Master') may be-a few have clued in, but not many. Most New Agers don't care about the pragmatic effects of magic, most of them pay attention to the trappings. I always challenge students-if you're not happy with your situation, do something about it. All of these 'Masters'-what do they have to show for their supposed skills?

I use essential oils, herbs, energy and crystals in my daily work (and make a good living at it, and have 3-day weekends every week, and a ten day vacation every month and a half-I've four wonderful kids, a wonderful wife, a house, mini-van and a car, plus sundry pets and trips). I can't throw fireballs (although one experiment with Fire Magic DID result in the target's car blowing a radiator within an hour...), nor would I want to. I CAN see what's coming (and often times I ignore the best of advice-five times running had the card (out of 72) for Futility come up in a row, and still I pressed on...), and nudge things into going my way, most of the time. Still haven't figured out how to get winning littery numbers as of yet, though...

Our senses are ultimately functions of our brains/minds. Any connection of events are ones we attribute. Certain rituals may facilitate certain sensations and experiences (I have a tasty Succubus summoning ritual). Is it just a guide for imagination? Probably, but good fun nonetheless.

'World views have inertia.' The more one looks for information to support a particular viewpoint, the more information one will find (even conflicting ones).

Sorry for the rant, and I know I'll probably be flamed to hell and back. I don't imagine that I'll convince anyone to change their views. Still, I've no motivation to lie and can back up every statement that I've made. So much for magic in RL...

R
Reaver
QUOTE (Lantzer)
It says a lot that none of the famous 'Gifted' people have even attempted to try for the money. The list of excuses is entertaining.

The deep silence from them is very telling. At times, Randi has practically begged them to come and take the money. The point of his skepticism, after all, isn't to say that there is not, and cannot be any such thing as magic, or psychics, or aliens, or whatnot.

His point is that you should not take other people's money and adoration if you can't prove you can actually _do_ any of the things you claim.

True praticioners don't do it for money. I myself look down on those that do, a predjudice on my part I'm afraid. I don't practice magic for my own benefit... at least not directly. It's considered in most circles to be akin to bad karma.

The other thing is, at least in my experience, most of the effects I feel I have had influence over aren't easily detectable. They can be glossed over as 'coincidence' by the mundane community. They forget that a coincidence is ONLY a coincidence when you don't have all the facts. Frankly though, that's fine by me. The less advertising the better. Last thing I need is religious nuts coming out of the woodwork. wink.gif

Siege
We haven't had any flaming yet so relax and discuss.

-Siege
rlemansky
Greetings.

The Randi thing is interesting. I'd have to figure out how to come up with a ritual goal that would be measurable and outside of chance. Accurately predicting the future-lottery numbers, coin tosses-I've not the first clue how to do. Influencing a job interview, or a date, or getting a good parking space-that's easy. But, it won't prove anything to a sceptic...

Still, a million's a lot of cash. Worth contemplating at the least...

R
Dashifen
Some people have tried to do it thusly:

A group of shamans in the U.S. took two bowls. Filled them with de-ionized water with a pH around 5.5. Then, they added a chemical -- amonium hydroxide IIRC -- until the pH was 12.5. A pH that high would be lethal.

Then, moving one bowl into a seperate room away from them to be used as a control, they performed a healing/clensing ritual on the bowl of acid. The first time they performed it, the pH was lowered to 9. On subsequent re-trials they were able to lower the pH by similar amounts.

For more information you can check out Willow Polson's new book called Beyond the Veil. She also discusses other evidence of magic's effects in the world including research being conducted at Princeton with their random number cruching "eggs."

Another possible source for mor information would be Laurie Cabot's book entitled Power of the Witch. Despite the authors obvious bias toward one system of magic over others, there are two chapters toward the end of the book (forgive me, I haven't read it in a long time) where she discusses possible applications of modern quantum physics and the laws of thermodynamics and how they apply to magical techniques. Willow Polson also discusses quantum physics in her book mentioned above.
Fahr
I have experienced something close to drain.

but only when working with mechanical devices. I have willed vehicles to continue working long pat the point where they shouldn't have. and the end result is that I (obviously) can't run the machine for ever in that state, but I sure can make it last longer than otherwise.

but whenever I have to do this, I am always utterly exhausted afterwards.

as for the sceptics, the truth is that you "believe" that none of this works, so no amount of evidence would ever convince you. partly cause you want to see the fireballs and levitation, and real life magic doesn't work like that. real life magic as I have been able to tell is all about manipulating chance. so the results are not obvious and very difficult to verify.

but I did once do a physics experiment that would be decent evidence.
the experiment was set up like this, a board with evenly spaced nails in it (checked out of UT austin physics lab - ie. I didn't make it and is was identical to 30 others) kinda like the old plinko game from price is right. andyway, me and my (also magicaly active) lab partner dropped washers from a predetermined spot repeatedly. this experiment was supposed to show a bell curve distribution of data points.
After we did the experiment 3 time, with three different boards, we could not get anything close to a bell curve, in fact we actually got a reverse bell curve. every other pair in the class was able to get a bell curve. we tried different boards, different washers and different desks.

does this prove magic. no. but it is verifiable evidence of probability manipulation. (I got a D on that lab cause we couldn't explain our screwy results - I would have loved to come up with a good explanation)

sceptics will look at this and blame it on my performace of the experiment. and that is why I don't usually bother trying to convince anyone. sceptics will only be convinced by themselves, and only if they cna examine there own beleifs as closely as they examine those they claim do not exist. because, after all, science is only a model.

-Mike R.
Cray74
QUOTE (krishcane)
Just a quick question for those of you who practice magic IRL...

Well, that doesn't include me, but I'll propose a hypothesis to fit my observations...

My experience is that I haven't heard of/read about/seen SR-type spells, at least not outside of Hollywood or illusionists with a substantial FX budget. No fireballs, no brain-frying manabolts, no car wreck-crushed bodies being reinflated by a 1-minute heal spell, no dramatic manipulations or illusions. Real spells seem to be rather low key in comparison to SR's magic.

In SR terms: real world magic generally seems to have minimal force ratings, the kind that never generate drain (or generate drain that's hardly noticeable - is your coffee buzz wearing off, or was it the spell?) Following this theory, if you tossed an SR-type high force spell, then you would experience drain.
Zazen
QUOTE (Siege)
While Randi's point is well made, if people want to give John Edwards (the psychic) money for his hocus pocus and believing in what he has to offer, is it really that different from people buying their way into Heaven with televangelists?

No way, it's sleazy and disgusting. Those bullshit televangelist "miracle workers" are the worst, whose followers get illnesses healed by Jesus so they forego proper medical treatment. There's no excuse for making money off of lies, because you can't know what consequences those lies will have.

And rlemansky, keep us updated on your quest for the cash wink.gif
krishcane
Wow, I wish I had time to reply to all these good posts! There's a real wellspring of good thought here, and I'm pleased to hear from some very experienced folks. Thanks to the bodyworkers and ritual workers!

Brief answers to GunnerJ's questions:

1) What do you mean by "magic?" Is this a set, single body of ideas or are there different forms? How would you know if one proposed method of magic is real and another not?

It is an extremely general term representing hundreds of discernable forms and countless individual variations. It's equivalent in scope to saying "martial arts" -- and just like "martial arts", "magic" could refer only formal systems or could include the wide variety of informal techniques that people have discovered in life. The validity question is also similar to the "martial arts" issue -- it's very hard to tell whether techniques are legit without already being very experienced. The best gauge when you're starting out is just to evaluate whether the teacher seems like a good person who does well in life, or whether they seem to be some kind of lunatic. Both martial-arts and magic-practice systems are rife with outright frauds and oversold semi-skilled amateurs, but there are also brilliant masters.

What I called "magic" as a broad category there, you could also refer to as 'esoteric studies', 'energy work', or 'intuitive training'. Certain specialty areas within that vast field are well-known -- yoga, neuro-linguisitic-programming, motivational sales methods, Tai Chi, visualizing success, etc.

2) When did you start practicing what you call "magic?" What/who did you learn from?

I started studying intuition and experimenting with the results of visualization as a young child -- perhaps 5 or 6 years old. I more or less grew up with it. Most of my childhood was self-directed experimentation -- what yields results, what yields no results but makes me feel good, and what is a complete fantasy? It takes a while to sift through all that. I had to learn the distinction between imagining something and visualizing it.

Of course, I read books, but those are just inspiration for self-guided study. I met a few teachers and practitioners as a child and in college, but I never took up a permanent study with them. I did get Reiki I and II through a formal program, but those are just "seminar" type courses followed by home study over the years.

Finally, I came to study the martial arts in my 20s and through that established a study relationship in esoteric Buddhism with a Tendai Buddhist priest. That continue to this day as my primary program, although I continue to self-direct in shamanic-type observations.

3) What types of effects do you feel you have observed or brought about through the practice of magic?

You want a list of "powers"? smile.gif The best stuff has been internal changes to my state of mind -- a deep and permanent sense of connection to the divine, nature, and my fellow man, along with an increased sense of patience, energy, and personal power. But in terms of external world-powers... I can fairly reliably alleviate pain in myself, and sometimes in others. I can focus on my body to improve strengh, agility, or endurance (not to superhuman levels -- just to the levels that it would ideally operate at). I can banish fatigue and to some degree overcome hunger, thirst, and temperate extremes. I can blind-sense fairly well, and especially in the case of heavily-charged emotional subjects. That's useful in martial arts.

As one-off events, there is a long-list of impressive things that happened once or several times but I cannot reproduce reliably. This includes starting or stopping the rain, adjusting the direction or speed of the wind, adjusting the intensity of flames, calling wildlife to me, a few feats of unusual strength, and even a brief levitation experience. Sure wish I could figure out how to do those things regularly! However, they are not the focus of my practice, because even levitation wouldn't make me a happy, successful person in life. I focus my practice on cultivating positive personality traits and focus.

4) If someone doubted your claims but was interested in testing them, what would you tell him if you were inclined to convince him that you are indeed capable of what you claim?

Well, I suppose I could deliver some Reiki readily enough, or provide an enegy-sensing experience based on the martial arts. I could try to read a mind, but that's not on the "reliable" list. The really cool stuff crops up when the moment is ripe for it and I have an inspired moment of connection, so people who are around me over a long period of time are eventually exposed to an interesting experience if they want it. It's also clear that if a person wants to avoid such an experience, it's very easy for them to explain away or simply not even notice events that don't fit their worldview.

On this note, someone mentioned James Randi. I contacted Mr. Randi a few years ago to arrange a demonstration of blind attack-sensing as we practice it in my martial arts system. Such a sense is actually the required test to get a 5th degree black belt. I'm nowhere near 5th degree, but I can reproduce this skill readily enough even with very rigorous control conditions. My teacher and I used to do it regularly for our own training. The Amazing Randi was amazingly rude to me! We corresponded several times, and he attacked everything I said. When I explained what my skill was, he told me that he'd seen lots of people try that before, and it was always proven false, and I shouldn't even waste his time. He further said that if I really wanted to force the issue, I could fly down to Florida, on my own expense, to demonstrate the skill for one of his people. If that guy liked what I had to show, then Mr. Randi would think about setting up a time that I could again fly on my own expense to his undisclosed location for further testing, and if he liked that, then he would see about the contest and the prize money. He went on to point out that I was quite foolish for even thinking I could attempt such a thing, and no one had ever claimed the prize before, and I'm obviously wasting his time.

Incredible! I realized at this point that if Mr. Randi was so pre-determined that I could not possibly be legit, then he could endlessly argue and doubt any demonstration I could make. No demonstration would be sufficient, and I would run out of time, money, and patience to show up and perform at his whim long before he would. Investing the thousands of dollars to fly me and my teacher to his locations, multiple times, would be a fool's investment. I would never see that money.

It galls me that to this day Mr. Randi parades around with an air of "Obviously, there is no real magic in the world, because if anyone was legit, why won't they step forward to be tested?" He is a very hostile audience. Someone would have to make it their life's purpose to discredit Mr. Randi, as he has made it his life's purpose to discredit anything beyond what science knows today. Clearly, we've all got better things to do with our time.

--K
Pistons
Drain, in the sense of feeling fatigued or sick afterward? Only in cases of a) high ritual magic or b) where I haven't grounded and centered adequately, first.

SR magic is on a significantly higher scale than what can be produced now.

While I understand the skepticism, and believe that it's a healthy response, I would like the skeptics to keep in mind that so far, no one here is really asking you to believe as they do -- just to recognize that they do have such beliefs, and let it be without judgment calls (fools, frauds, etc.).

I also want believers to keep in mind that giving back a judgment call (blind, narrow-minded) is not acceptable, either.

That, my friends, is flaming. Discuss, be skeptical, but keep negative, non-constructive opining about each other and respective beliefs to yourselves.

krishcane, this topic seems slanted more toward areas of real life and less about Shadowrun. I would appreciate it if you could direct it more toward the latter, because the first is a Lounge-type topic.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Beyond the Veil

You are probably talking about The Veil's Edge: Exploring the Boundaries of Magic , the Amazon Synopsis of which says:
[...]including [...] Scientific proof that magic works, backed up with case-by-case evidence [...]

Because it seems 90%+ of the book is about Wicca techniques "for the more experienced witch", I rather not get it just because of a few references. If you could be so kind as to provide those (the references), as well as a shortened version of the "case-by-case evidence", I would be most grateful.

QUOTE (rlemansky)
Noticing the pattern's one thing, and most RL magic is geared towards nudging coincidences to a desired end.

No, it is not. There are no coincidences about a ball of elemental fire shooting forth from you and blowing up into a huge firestorm in the target end. There are no coincidences abount controlling someone's thoughts, healing in a minute someone who is just about to die because of physical wounds, levitating things, crushing people with a thought, stopping bullets in mid-air, turning invisible, etc etc etc.

Just pick up a Shadowrun spell at random. See if you can duplicate the effect. If you can, and don't feel any Drain, then maybe you've got a point -- and a million dollars! If you can't, then you obviously do not dabble in the occult in a way that has anything to do with how Shadowrun handles magic.

I [...] can back up every statement that I've made.

Just take any one of those things you stated you could do that cannot be explained scientifically to be normal, seeing the future and affecting it for instance, to the James Randi Educational Foundation and back your statement up, and you get a million dollars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012