Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Capsule rounds for the win
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Yerameyahu
And how many people can a single dose affect? This always bothered me. I mean, it's also one dose per *capsule*, after all.
Johnny B. Good
A breathtaker grenade will put a cloud of gas out to 20 meters, as per SR4a. I don't think that amount of gas is even compressable into a capsule round.

Also, "Dose" is a hugely variable term. A dose of LSD is less than a drop, a dose of beer is a glass and a dose of vodka is a shot. The mechanics here aren't great, and require a little handwavium.
Yerameyahu
Sure, but I'm not saying use an LSD-sized dose with beer. I'm saying that, indeed, the mechanics aren't great, and it seems like there's some room for abuse. As evidenced above, runners (or players, anyway) feel free to mix and match drugs and chemicals well outside of their intended application. A splash grenade with Slab (or other 'single dose' doses) shouldn't reasonably give a full dose to multiple people; Breathtaker probably *should*, per your reasoning earlier. Bleh. smile.gif
Johnny B. Good
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 26 2010, 05:32 PM) *
Sure, but I'm not saying use an LSD-sized dose with beer. I'm saying that, indeed, the mechanics aren't great, and it seems like there's some room for abuse. As evidenced above, runners (or players, anyway) feel free to mix and match drugs and chemicals well outside of their intended application. A splash grenade with Slab (or other 'single dose' doses) shouldn't reasonably give a full dose to multiple people; Breathtaker probably *should*, per your reasoning earlier. Bleh. smile.gif

Screwy rules will be screwy rules :/
Thank god for good GMs.
Neraph
I still like shooting vehicles with two capsule rounds of P4MO. They aren't immune to toxins, by the way.

EDIT:

QUOTE (Tiralee @ Aug 26 2010, 03:57 AM) *
Er, isn't platypus venom stupidly, horribly painful? As in designed by Satan to piss off God, but he saw the platypus and thought, "Buddy, you're gonna need this more than me" painful?
I've got no idea what damage codes would apply for it (Not a SR4er.) but according to nice people who've had to work with them (and recorded instances of accidential spurrage, google them), "chop off the arm" seemed like a valid idea.

Yes, but "chop off the arm" because it hurts does not equal Physical damage. It sounds more like Stun damage with Nausea and Disorientation.
Yerameyahu
Yes they are. You stop that. smile.gif Nevermind the fact the P4MO is administered in 5-liter treatments, not capsule rounds. nyahnyah.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 26 2010, 11:34 AM) *
Yes they are. You stop that. smile.gif

hehe.

First shot they get +1 Agi and the ability to hold their breath for 2x as long (which is useless because they don't have Agi or need to hold their breath..), second shot is a 15P Unresisted embolism.

I like the mental image.

And actually, thinking about it, is there a rule anywhere (other than Rule 0) that states vehicles don't need to breathe? Otherwise technically can't you have a car drown?
Yerameyahu
And an embolism is ignored because they don't have blood. smile.gif

In that a car doesn't work underwater, yes, they can drown.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 26 2010, 11:39 AM) *
And an embolism is ignored because they don't have blood. smile.gif

In that a car doesn't work underwater, yes, they can drown.

I wasn't talking about the people in the car drowning, but the car itself. Just looking at another oddity of the rules system.

Also, it's not a capsule, but with many people not liking the idea of putting 1 dose of P4MO into a capsule round, how about filling the Lone Star FlashFlood Water Cannon with it and DMSO? Talk about crowd control.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 26 2010, 12:42 PM) *
I wasn't talking about the people in the car drowning, but the car itself. Just looking at another oddity of the rules system.

Also, it's not a capsule, but with many people not liking the idea of putting 1 dose of P4MO into a capsule round, how about filling the Lone Star FlashFlood Water Cannon with it and DMSO? Talk about crowd control.

Isn't drowning stun damage? In which case the car ignores it, because vehicles don't suffer stun damage.
Neraph
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Aug 26 2010, 11:43 AM) *
Isn't drowning stun damage? In which case the car ignores it, because vehicles don't suffer stun damage.

Ahh, thank you.
Yerameyahu
I wasn't talking about the passengers. Like I said: if the car's not configured for underwater, it drowns. You try starting a car under a lake.

It's not clear that DMSO would do it; P4MO is a blood treatment, so muscle penetration isn't enough. You'd have to ensure that 10 *liters* of the stuff got all the way into their bloodstream (at which point their body would explode from having suddenly 10 extra liters of fluid).
Mäx
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 26 2010, 07:31 PM) *
Yes, but "chop off the arm" because it hurts does not equal Physical damage. It sounds more like Stun damage with Nausea and Disorientation.

Just so that everyones on the same page.
QUOTE (Running Wild page 95)
Platypus Venom
Vector: Injection
Speed: 1 Combat Turn
Penetration: 0
Power: 5
Effect: Physical Damage
The platypus has spurs on its ankles which can
deliver venom. It’s not deadly, but it causes edema
or a painful fluid buildup around the struck area.
Neraph
I know. My disagreement is that with a poison that has no known deaths reported that only causes intense pain it should cause Stun damage with Nausea and Disorientation instead of flat Physical damage.
Jaid
strictly speaking, toxins don't even have to cause any damage. they can just have an effect, like incapacitating pain. seems like it would be more appropriate for a toxin that, as you said, is not known to have caused any deaths whatsoever.
Dumori
Tough it has killed other animals I'd still give it stun. It's likely capable of killing in large doses on humans.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (attilatheyeon @ Aug 26 2010, 03:41 AM) *
So um acids don't powder, that's bases. When you remove the liquid from an acid you get gas.

Funny, poking around the internet, one finds a number of chemical supply companies selling various acids in dry powdered form.

Boric acid, Lactic acid, Citric acid, Uric acid, etc, just in my few minutes of looking.

It appears, however, that most of them are created not by simple evaporation, but by crystallization, and then grinding the acid crystals into powder.

I have no idea about the physics about them, but they're out there.

KarmaInferno
Carefully put a clump of box jellyfish into a capsule round, perhaps in an oxygenated nutrient gel so they can survive at least a few days.

Fire at target. It doesn't matter if the jellyfish survive. If the capsule round splashes even a tiny bit of exposed skin, it's searing agonizing pain time.

smile.gif

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 27 2010, 10:52 AM) *
Funny, poking around the internet, one finds a number of chemical supply companies selling various acids in dry powdered form.

Boric acid, Lactic acid, Citric acid, Uric acid, etc, just in my few minutes of looking.

It appears, however, that most of them are created not by simple evaporation, but by crystallization, and then grinding the acid crystals into powder.

I have no idea about the physics about them, but they're out there.

Acids have to be dissolved in water (and it HAS to be water or primarily water substance) to gain their acidic properties. In the powdered form, they do jack shit. However, it might not take much water depending on how soluble they are.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Toloran @ Aug 27 2010, 02:34 PM) *
Acids have to be dissolved in water (and it HAS to be water or primarily water substance) to gain their acidic properties. In the powdered form, they do jack shit. However, it might not take much water depending on how soluble they are.

Yes, which is why folks brought up using some sort of wetting system.

And I later commented on the possibility of using powdered bases instead.

But you CAN store acids as a powder, with a water in a separate layer of the capsule round.
Yerameyahu
Man, why didn't you guys read the thread before jumping in with your chemistry knowledge on us? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012