Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signal Rating
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Yerameyahu
No part of the commlink covers receiving. It has an antenna. In real life, there are *some* ways to make reception more effective, but in SR it's not part of the abstract rules. It's certainly not part of Signal (which, again, refers only to broadcasting power).

You can't disagree. biggrin.gif It's physics, and RAW.
suoq
death to double posting!
suoq
QUOTE (Nexushound @ Sep 1 2010, 04:09 PM) *
The toaster has a signal rating of 0 and is broadcasting 'I am a toaster, how would you lie your english muffin toasted?" There are no other electronic devices in the stadium to route the signal to me. I could not pick up that broadcasted signal?
Unless it's magic*, I don't see how.

Where I am losing you guys is that my signal rating includes broadcasting as well as receiving. Why can I not pick up signals, regardless of how weak or strong, at the extent of my range?
There are three possible assumptions.

1) Signal controls volume, but not reception.
2) Signal controls reception, but not volume.
3) Signal controls both.

If #1 then you can't hear the weak signal. That seems to be the agreement of the majority.
If #2 then there is no point to having a weaker signal, Zurich Orbital Habitat pwns the world, and arcologies are Faraday Cages people live inside.
If #3 then mutual signal range makes no sense because the high signal device is loud AND incredibly good at hearing.
sabs
So I just thought of something.. depressing.

Team Hacker A has a Signal 6 commlink, with a rating 4 eccm program.

The nearest matrix provider station has a signal 7, with no eccm.

Hacker B drops a rating 10 jammer in the area.

Hacker A can still send to the Matrix Provider station
Hacker A can't receive from the Matrix Provider station

Does Hacker A still have Matrix access?
Yerameyahu
No, you need two-way.
Nexushound
Oi Chums,

Well I guess you have your answer. Thank you for your input.
suoq
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 1 2010, 04:23 PM) *

If there is a another matrix provider within range (10 km) that has enough signal and ECCM, he should be able to maintain matrix access. I may be missing a rule though.

Inspired by the Telematics Infrastructure, I was thinking about using programmable RFID tags to make Denial of Service grenades. (Depending on the whole "base response" thing and houserules.)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 1 2010, 02:23 PM) *
So I just thought of something.. depressing.

Team Hacker A has a Signal 6 commlink, with a rating 4 eccm program.

The nearest matrix provider station has a signal 7, with no eccm.

Hacker B drops a rating 10 jammer in the area.

Hacker A can still send to the Matrix Provider station
Hacker A can't receive from the Matrix Provider station

Seeing as how a Rating 10 Jammer has very little actual range, I am sure that your Comlink will automatically re-route around the jamming (10km Range after all) to link into a matrix connection Somehwere where the jamming is not at...
Yerameyahu
The scenario is that it's the only Matrix source, I believe. smile.gif Not necessarily a realistic scenario, sure.
IKerensky
Back to the original topic and reason to lower the signal.

You lower your commlink signal to 0...

But you have to lower the signal of everything around you to 0 too : vehicular gridlink connection, vehicular RFID security pins, implants, other commlinks, vehicular radioset nyahnyah.gif, weapons link, drones, signal posts, ad panels, and so on... because elsewhere you will still be broadcasting by rooter. I think this is the reason why adjusting the signal on the fly is meaningless, far easier to just turn the commlink off...

*Heck, turning signal down to 0 isn't just a way to say you shutdown the commlink ? an attribute to 0 usually mean things are not functionning.* Forget this line.
Yerameyahu
Nope. Signal 0 is 3m. You can turn your wireless off; it's not difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012