Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caseless
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
I believe it is somewhere in the Cannon Companion, I know it was in Fields of Fire for the 2nd ed. Could someone help me out with page references.

I want to know the multipliers basicly. However I can't seem to find it. With there being no index it seems hard to find. Maybe I'm just sleepy.
Austere Emancipator
No worries, mate. SR3, p. 276, FIREARMS, first paragraph.

No multipliers, modifiers, nothing. It's pretty silly, of course, but them's the rules if you want to use them.
Entropy Kid
also:
Pg. 84 CC, but that's for making your own.
Kagetenshi
Well, maybe it's not silly. I mean, with all the shadowrunners running about wreaking havoc they just might be buying enough guns to make it worthwhile to produce two totally different but identical-looking versions of the same gun. You know, between their rock concerts.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
You know, between their rock concerts.

I was going to comment before this...
Kagetenshi
That's why I included it smile.gif

On a tangent, would it be possible (and any less expensive) to get saboted ammo that wasn't AP? Lack of contact between bullet and rifling=good, but using APDS rounds all of the time gets expensive...

~J
Arethusa
Given that using a discarding sabot on a round will decrease the weight of the round and subsequently increase its velocity, all other things being equal, you'll get at least some increased armor penetration whether you want it or not. That's basically what discarding sabots were developed for, after all. Yes, you could, say, shove a lighter bullet inside the sabot and hollow point it, but you're going to get some bizarre ballistics and for no good reason. For that matter, can't imagine why it'd be less expensive.

Anyway, don't forget the sneaker endorsements. Ah well; I came to SR looking for gritty, immersive cyberpunk, but now I know better.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
For that matter, can't imagine why it'd be less expensive.

Would be at least somewhat cheaper than the APDS rounds, though, because that probably assumes a tungsten (or similar extra-hard metal) projectile. Other than that, I completely agree with the first paragraph.
Kagetenshi
I've got no problem with it penetrating armor, I'm just looking for something cheap that won't have ballistic data from the gun.

How traceable are the ballistics on MMGs/HMGs/etc? I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be just as identifiable as always, but it never hurts to ask...

~J
fctarbox3
Okay, I'm about as far from a gun nut as you can get, but... the ammo is discarding sabot. Doesn't that mean it's going to discard something... something with traceable ballistics characteristics? And I sincerely doubt that the discarded sabot is going to poop out the gun like a gumdrop while the projectile rockets away at ballistic speed...

Glories of the internet, http://www.tpub.com/content/USMC/mcwp3141/...mcwp3141_10.htm says they're going to be 100M away, within a 34 degree arc from the muzzle of the gun -- and that anyone in that area is in danger of being hit by a sabot petal. Something to think about next time you fire APDS into a crowd.

For a time, at least, rifling was very important to accuracy. Do modern guns circumvent that somehow? Seeing as they produce Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot, and that non-Fin Stabilized is referred to as "spin stabilized," I don't think so.

In short, if you want to be able to hit your target, you're going to be ejecting something that can be traced.

Of course, there are advantages to that tracing being on discarded sabot petals some distance away from the actual target... but in situations where it's really important, that's not going to matter as much.
Kagetenshi
I believe they have sabot that fragments into pieces too small to be effectively pieced back together and studied. I may be wrong, though.

~J
fctarbox3
If they don't now, they will in 2064 for just the reasons you're looking for it.

What you want are target practice rounds.

http://www.tpub.com/content/USMC/mcwp3141/...mcwp3141_12.htm

(Starting on bottom right).

They use steel instead of tungsten as the projectile, and have similar ballistic characteristics as the APDS.
Raygun
Remington makes non-AP discarding sabot ammunition today, marketed under the "Accelerator" moniker. The idea is to be able to use big game rifle cartridges for varmint/small game hunting. All are .30-caliber rifle cartridges sabotted to a .224" bullet; a 55 grain pointed soft point. It was originally available in .30-06, .308 Win and .30-30 Win. The concept hasn't sold very well, to the point that only the .30-06 load is available today (55 grain PSP @ 4080 fps = 2032 fpe). The cost is comparable to other high-end .30-06 loads.

The problem is one of accuracy. The smaller bullets used need a faster rate of twist than most larger caliber rifle barrels provide in order to stabilize the bullet in flight. As a result, long range accuracy tends to suffer. Fortunately, in the case of the .30-06 Accelerator, most .30-06 barrels have a twist of 1/10 inches. Working out the twist rate for a 55 grain PSP, I come up with 1/10.5 inches using the Greenhill formula. So that bullet through that rifle will be stabilized properly.

If you're talking about using sabots to avoid identification, fctarbox3 is right. You'd better be picking up your sabots. Rifling marks will be all over them. Small arms sabots are usually a single piece of nylon (except for shotgun slug loads). With small arms, the distance the sabot travels is going to be a lot shorter than that of a 25mm cannon. According to Cartridges Of The World, 8th Edition, about 30-50 feet. While there may be a danger of hitting someone unintentionally, the sabot itself doesn't weight very much and it is designed to decellerate very rapidly after it clears the muzzle. It's pretty unlikely that skin would be punctured through clothing.
fctarbox3
Oi, totally missed that I was looking at a 25mm gun. Whoops, yeah, that's a little different from standard side arms.

"No, boss, it's just a heavy pistol! Really heavy..."

I stand by my comment that by 2064, somecorp will have invented a Disintegrating Sabot round for assassination and black market purposes.
mcb
Sure, is call a smooth bore. No rifling marks on the sabot. If the projectile is fin stabilize rather than spin stabilized you don't even need the riflings. M1 Abram fire a 120MM smooth bore. No reason you couldn't make a 25mm smooth bore. The would be just a touch bigger than the old 4-bore shotguns.
Austere Emancipator
This gun is smoothbore as well, and quite a lot smaller than 25mm. Still not very handy, though.
Voran
In regards to ballistic information good CSI types can pick up from your spent rounds filling the walls of that Ares lab....

1. Does a silencer affect the markings left on the bullet so if you ditch the silencer/suppressor after using it in a run, the bullets couldn't be traced back to your actual gun?

2. I've also seen some attachments on guns that seem to add another inch or so to the barrel. Descriptions usually say its a balancing attachment to help with recoil or somesuch.. Is it possible to change the marking of your bullets by adding a piece similar to that recoil modifier, and gives it slightly better spin/range? Is one inch extra of a barrel enough to add anything significant to a bullet range wise, or marking wise?
Frag-o Delux
I think they alter it a little but not much.

Why keep the gun anyway, what is a Predator 450 nuyen.gif ? Trash the damn thing. Keep one around for protection when not on a run, and then have a run stash. When the run is over throw that pile of evidence in the Sound. Don't forget to wear your gloves while loading though. People have been caught because the gun was found in a river, later finger printed, lifting several ggod prints off the gun oil and the guy was covicted. The gun was still in good shape after a year or two in the river.
Raygun
QUOTE (Voran)
1. Does a silencer affect the markings left on the bullet so if you ditch the silencer/suppressor after using it in a run, the bullets couldn't be traced back to your actual gun?

No. Unless something has gone horribly awry, a silencer does not affect the markings left on it by rifling whatsoever. Other than with obsolete wipe and mesh-type silencers which have components that physically contact the bullet, there is no way to positively identify whether a bullet has been fired through a silencer or not. Even then, a significant bit of luck would probably be involved to find a particle of neoprene attached to a bullet or clothing.

2.  I've also seen some attachments on guns that seem to add another inch or so to the barrel.  Descriptions usually say its a balancing attachment to help with recoil or somesuch.

There are several different kinds of muzzle attachments available. There are sound suppressors/silencers, compensators, muzzle brakes and barrel weights. None of which touch the bullet itself.

Is it possible to change the marking of your bullets by adding a piece similar to that recoil modifier, and gives it slightly better spin/range?  Is one inch extra of a barrel enough to add anything significant to a bullet range wise, or marking wise?

Sound suppressors/silencers do have the secondary affect of increasing velocity slightly, as would a barrel extension. But an increase of 30-50 fps really isn't going to make any significant difference in ballistic performance. A barrel extension may affect the markings left on the bullet, making them differ slightly from those of the rifling when the extension is not attached. Depending on that to keep you in the clear forensically would be pretty naive, though.
Moonstone Spider
If you're worried about forensics, just use Explosive or Gel Ammo.

I am also not a gun expert but I have a hard time believing they could get rifling marks off of shattered fragments or a flatted blob of gel.
Diesel
But there's less explosive floating around, making that easier to trace. :\
mcb
Ahh! A caseless smoothbore shotgun is what you need. Smoothbore so the projectiles are not uniquely marked and no spent shell to leave more ballistic evidence traceable to a particular weapon.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Diesel)
But there's less explosive floating around, making that easier to trace.

BTW, how likely do people think it would be that by the 2060s most high explosives would be manufactured with trace elements? So that whenever a bomb goes off anywhere, they can quickly figure out where it came from, if it's from a commercial source.
kevyn668
I thought using caseless ammo increased clip capacity and there was a price increase.

Is that from SR2??
Austere Emancipator
Apparently. It does not happen with any canon SR3 weapon, for certain.

The only rules-wise differences between cased and caseless in 3rd Ed SR seemingly have to do with manufacturing ammunition.
Raygun
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
I am also not a gun expert but I have a hard time believing they could get rifling marks off of shattered fragments or a flatted blob of gel.

You certainly can get rifling marks off of bullet fragments. Very small fragments at that. You only need a very small part of a bullet in order to identify it uniquely with a microscope. In practical terms, the type of bullets 5.56x45mm rifles use tend to explode when the hit a semi-fluid medium within a certain range, no explosive needed. In the case of the DC snipers, police positively identified each attack using ballistic forensics. They also knew that all of the attacks had occured within a range of 100 meters because of the type of bullet used and the degree of bullet fragmentation.

Explosive ammunition wouldn't help you much. Like mcb has been saying, a shotgun is really the easiest way to go, caseless or not.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
BTW, how likely do people think it would be that by the 2060s most high explosives would be manufactured with trace elements?

Considering that Timothy McVeigh blew up an entire building with extremely common components such as gasoline and fertilizer, that probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. I think access to a small chemical lab and a machine shop along with a good degree of knowledge (chemical and mechanical engineering) would allow someone to make their own explosive ammunition.

Waiting for the FBI to come shut this discussion down...
Raygun
The only rules-wise differences between cased and caseless in 3rd Ed SR seemingly have to do with manufacturing ammunition.

What does it say about that?
Austere Emancipator
The majority of actual explosive ammunition would still probably come from commercial sources, such as Armed Forces contractors. And while making bombs from common components is easy enough, many shadowrunners might tend to go for the high-end stuff, like C-12, which is quite a lot more difficult to cook at home.

And not all shadowrunning teams have members or know people who can readily make large amounts of effective and useful explosives in a short time. Thus they would tend to have explosives that come from commercial sources every now and then.

And this is nothing compared to the Improvised Explosives thread.
Herald of Verjigorm
In the CC section about making ammo, there is a part explaining how much harder it is to make caseless.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
What does it say about that?

The Cannon Companion has some scribbling about it on p. 84 (although I know you don't have that book). Basically, it's 2 TN harder to manufacture, can only be done in a shop (vs a kit for cased), and the minimum cost of manufacturing is slightly higher (cased ammo can be made cheaper if you're really good and have old cases).
kevyn668
What about the bit where after you shoot someone, run a rat tail file down the barrel of your gun a few times. Gun's pretty much a paper weight now, but if crime reinactment shows can be believed, the bullet can't be traced to that gun. Right?
Austere Emancipator
Yeah, sure, but you might as well throw the gun into a river. Or if you take this thing really seriously, you could use some thermite...

The amount of filing it takes to completely hide the original patterns would, as you said, screw the accuracy to a point where the weapon would be almost useless.
fctarbox3
QUOTE (Raygun)
Waiting for the FBI to come shut this discussion down...

I know how that feels. I was trying to figure out how much cheaper TPDS is compared to APDS, and let me tell you, I was awfully nervous typing "price buy TPDS Target Practice Deployed Sabot" into google...
Austere Emancipator
I've got government sponsored files on my computer, downloaded from the homepage of the Finnish Defense Forces, that tell me how I can stop tanks with home-made materials and how to build and effectively use chemical weapons, so I've never bothered with that kinda stuff. smile.gif
Nikoli
Neat, care to post?
Austere Emancipator
http://www.mil.fi/reservilainen/pdf/suojel...unkasikirja.pdf
Only in Finnish, sorry. Doesn't even appear to be a Swedish version, even though that's (supposedly) our second official language.

The AT stuff is here. Same thing with the languages.

I'm not gonna translate the few hundred pages and post them, either. smile.gif
Nikoli
Now if only I had maintained contact with that Finnish tech i used to work with...
Raygun
QUOTE (Autere Emancipator)
The majority of actual explosive ammunition would still probably come from commercial sources, such as Armed Forces contractors.

Definitely. Just kind of making the point that it can be done otherwise, with fewer resources than most people tend to realize. Depending on how you play your game, I think it should be entirely possible to have a couple of guys with a mobile shop that produces specialty ammunition and markets it to shadowrunners through a network of fixers and armorers. No major manufacturers or mass-produced explosives involved.

And while making bombs from common components is easy enough, many shadowrunners might tend to go for the high-end stuff, like C-12, which is quite a lot more difficult to cook at home.

Also true. The situation is always going to dictate what kind of tools you need to use. But if said shadowrunners are concerned about being traced through the type of explosive they use, there are ways to make that very difficult without a whole lot of effort. Just takes a spin around the right places on the matrix to get the knowledge and a trip out to a couple of rural farm stores.

And not all shadowrunning teams have members or know people who can readily make large amounts of effective and useful explosives in a short time. Thus they would tend to have explosives that come from commercial sources every now and then.

Yikes.

And this is nothing compared to the Improvised Explosives thread.

I bet.

I've got government sponsored files on my computer, downloaded from the homepage of the Finnish Defense Forces, that tell me how I can stop tanks with home-made materials and how to build and effectively use chemical weapons, so I've never bothered with that kinda stuff.

And you're not even a shadowrunner... Know anyone you can buy explosives from? wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
But if said shadowrunners are concerned about being traced through the type of explosive they use, there are ways to make that very difficult without a whole lot of effort. Just takes a spin around the right places on the matrix to get the knowledge and a trip out to a couple of rural farm stores.

That was what I really should have said in the beginning. If such trace elements were commonplace, criminals (such as shadowrunners) would do their utmost to get their hands on explosives without such elements. All it would do, in effect, is make high-end explosives less common and more expensive in the shadows.

Know anyone you can buy explosives from? wink.gif

No, not really. Does knowing where I can steal them from count?
Bob the Ninja
So what would be the best bet for a SR criminal to do to avoid ballistic fingerprints? Change the barrel after every run?

OT: Which language group does Finnish reside in. I an read (with varying degrees of fluency) most Romance languages, along with German. Finnish seems to from another planet.
Austere Emancipator
Finnish is Finno-Ugric, subset Finnic/Baltic-Finnic; a group which includes other, well known languages such as Karelian, Ludian, Vepsian, Ingrian, Votian, Estonian and Livonian.

The larger group, Finno-Ugric, also includes the different Sámi languages and Hungarian and a lot of other, really small languages from all over Russia, Eastern Europe and all the -stans.

Finno-Ugric FAQ
Fahr
you could just use wepons without a ballistic fingerprint, like: bows, grenade launchers, spray weapons...

or you could buy cheap guns and use a different one each time. or you could pick up your cases, and dig the bullets out of your enemies, and the walls biggrin.gif

-Mike R.
Bob the Ninja
Finnish is Finno-Ugric, subset Finnic/Baltic-Finnic; a group which includes other, well known languages such as  Karelian, Ludian, Vepsian, Ingrian, Votian, Estonian and Livonian.

The larger group, Finno-Ugric, also includes the different Sámi languages and Hungarian and a lot of other, really small languages from all over Russia, Eastern Europe and all the -stans.

I see. Because it's not an Indo-European language threw me. I had thought that Finnish was related to Swedish.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Don't forget to wear your gloves while loading though. People have been caught because the gun was found in a river, later finger printed, lifting several ggod prints off the gun oil and the guy was covicted. The gun was still in good shape after a year or two in the river.

And don't forget to wear gloves when loading ammo either into mag, cylinder or clip too, just in case you lose the firearm on a run or have to dump it quick. Not much point in making sure you have no prints on the gun or the scene if the ammo and expended cases are covered with your prints.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Bob the Ninja)
I had thought that Finnish was related to Swedish.

Someone more patriotic than me would be quite angry about that. wink.gif

There are several words loaned from Swedish, but the structure of Finnish has very little to do with any germanic languages.

QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
in case you lose the firearm on a run or have to dump it quick.

For those situations, always carry an extra incendiary grenade to all runs. smile.gif
gknoy
BTW, how likely do people think it would be that by the 2060s most high explosives would be manufactured with trace elements? So that whenever a bomb goes off anywhere, they can quickly figure out where it came from, if it's from a commercial source.

In a sense, I imagine that good forensic chemists can already do that -- explosives requires chemicals to make, and those would exist in proportions or something probably similar to those of a reference batch from various known manufacturers.

THough, in the shadow world I imagine that that might not help much -- either everyone's using Ares ammo (hehe), or you're using something via the black market or shipped in from Asia, or whatnot -- so they might be able to say "this bullet had the same explosive load as that one last week", but might not be able to trace back to a manufacturer.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (gknoy)
everyone's using Ares ammo

I was sorta thinking that the trace elements would be sufficiently advanced to be capable of holding information such as when the batch was manufactured (what year or quarter) and where (which factory). This would be slightly more helpful than just knowing that it was made by a certain firm.

you're using something via the black market

If the explosives could be traced back to the manufacturer (and thus original seller), the people who got it into the black market and at least the beginning of the distribution string would be in trouble. This would depend heavily on exactly what information would be recovered from the explosives -- if the explosives should currently be sitting in an active army base, someone has serious explaining to do.

shipped in from Asia

If such elements were used, all major manufacturers would be "forced" to do so. If the ammo is produced by a major manufacturer, the originating country wouldn't matter, only how it got from there to the shadowrunners -- a chain of people and events that could be concealed with the proper precautions, but might prove troublesome at times.
Raygun
No, not really. Does knowing where I can steal them from count?

I guess so. But then you don't really have to steal anything, do you?

QUOTE (Bob the Ninja)
So what would be the best bet for a SR criminal to do to avoid ballistic fingerprints? Change the barrel after every run?

The easiest thing to do (again) would be to use a shotgun and pick up your cases (or use a case catcher; caseless shotgun ammunition seems a bit far-fetched). Range is a bit limited, but shotguns are such versatile firearms that one would work fine for the majority of the things a shadowrunner would need to use a firearm for. A Saiga 12K loaded with something like Winchester Supreme Partition Gold or Remington Ultra Bonded slugs comes to mind. Those loads can be suppressed (somewhat).
toturi
Maybe since for APDS the sabot is discarded, the sabots can be "collected" be a screwed on silencer or some sort of muzzle attachment.
Austere Emancipator
Would it be too expensive to make the sabot self-destruct (burn away, for example) after it's been fired? If it's made of 2 pieces, it could be a chemical reaction triggered by the 2 pieces separating.

And even if it was possible, would any ammo manufacturers do it? Do they mind the discarded sabots much?

QUOTE (Raygun)
I guess so. But then you don't really have to steal anything, do you?

I'm not a kleptomaniac and I'm rather well-off (for now), if that's what you mean. Might have to if I want to blow up a mall, though. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012