Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Denver Missions Team 1
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 2:48pm | Horse Trot Ranch, Denver, Sioux Sector]

<<I see Mr. ah, Peabody. Surely this is something you could send me online? We do occasionally use your company's services...>>
Faraday
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 2:48pm|Horse Trot Range, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN = Passive| SiN = James Roland | UCAS Citizen

<< [Warden] I agree, we need to come at them with all we've got. Start with Lyle and Ghost, then we fall back to Cruiser and me if things get dicey... I dunno how Pedro falls into this, not sure what you've got up your sleeve. I'll bring Jessie along but won't have her put together so she'll be easy to hide, but slow to react. I guess a stun baton isn't that threatening... is it?
sabs
Rick Noland
PAN = Active | Fake SiN = Lyle Emmet | CAS Citizen

<<Well, this is, for exclusive customers. And I find that the personal touch of calling really helps build relationships. Abbi, can I call you Abbi? If I send you a link, you go through our Matrix Portal and the guys in Matrix Sales get the commission. But, if I'm the one who books your travel, then we're both happy. I can tell you're not sure. Let me give you my Comm code here at work, and you can call me personally, next time you need to book travel and I'll take right good care of you. [Travelocity™ Executive Sales CommCode] You ask for Ernest Peabody! Don't you forget now!>>

While he's talking to her, Rick pulls up Travelocity's Executive ComCode from his personal database.

J. Packer

<<Alright then, thank you Mr. Peabody. I'll do that.>>

Her voice sounds strained and a little off-guard over the comm unit.
sabs
Rick Noland

<<Excellent, you have a good day there Abbi. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.>>

With that Rick disconnects the call, and quickly dumps that Commcode and re-establishes his old Access ID and comm code configuration.

<<[Lyle] Let me catch up a sec.>> He replays all of the messages/conversations he missed while talking to Abigail, before replying.

<<Their Height would allow us to confirm if they are the women who did the run.. or not. So the woman who booked the stay here at the Horse Trot Ranch is still at work today. She didn't call in sick, or go on vacation. That probably means she's not part of what ever this was. I'm thinking it's an extraction, and not a kidnapping. What's your guts telling you guys?>>

Rick files all the info he's picked up. <<Lets think of it backwards. If we did an extraction for someone, and a group of runners came at us. What would make us willing to talk to them. We have a reputation, what makes us flip on our johnson. Also, would we admit to an extraction vs a kidnapping?>>

Von
Fr. Pedro Medina
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 2:48pm | Horse Trot Range, Denver, Sioux Sector]
Pan = Passive | Fake SiN = Juan Gonzales

<< [Pedro] Well, you will not know for certain until we are in a situation that calls for it, but I have been known to sling spells in my day. If we locate a room or building where the kidnappers are in, I can render Ghost and Lyle physically invisible to any cameras, and might I add they will be quite difficult to shoot if invisible. I can probe the mind of the bartender at the Hardpan for any clues, if diplomacy fails us. I even have learned and practiced a spell that creates a 'mob control' effect, essentially allowing our team to control the actions of the kidnappers should we run into them smile.gif >>

Pedro considers Rick's question for a moment, then responds.

<< [Pedro] They will deny everything. The accusations one makes against a true enemy will always be denied. I am sorry to say that I believe the information regarding the details of the blackmailing of the ranch will have to be extracted by other means, as the end justifies them and as this is our mission. Do we know who sent the ransom note? Do we also have a username of the individual who attempted to hack into the ranch's computer system?>>
Thanee
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 2:50pm | Horse Trot Range, Denver, Sioux Sector]
Ghost; PAN = Passive, Fake SIN: Elayne Allister

<< [Ghost] But if it is an extraction... why the blackmailing? >>
Faraday

<<[Warden]
Y'know, those girls had to have a *reason* to kidnap a up-and-coming Ares exec. I can think of 3 things so far.
1. They knew who he was, wanted the money, took the mark. Simplest explanation.
2. Someone else wanted him out of the way. They paid the girls or had something on them and used it. The blackmail is just a cover.
3. Exec is paying for an extraction, the blackmail is, again, to cover his tracks.

Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

<< [Pedro] Warden, these are all good reasons that Belenkiy could have been captured, but we also can't rule out the possibility of it being an inside job. As far as the blackmailing, there could have been a third party involved outside of the runner women. Why was the footage accessed a day after run? Wouldn't that just leave another trace on the matrix for the team to be tracked by? What do we know about the hacking attempt? >>
Faraday

<<[Warden]Like I mentioned, if someone else had an interest in this guy, then kidnapping would be a quick way to get him out of the way. Look, these girls could be cold, hard professionals, but we can't say they're not open to a little negotiation. We might be able to sweet talk them into a deal, maybe bargain them down or just straight up intimidate them into giving him back or getting us to him. A lot of people aren't willing to part with their lives for a quarter million big ones.
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

<< [Pedro] Agreed, but what if they didn't send out the 250k ransom? Negotiation should be attempted first, of course.>>
Faraday
PAN = Passive| Fake SiN = James Roland | UCAS Citizen

<<[Warden]If they're just the middle-women, then they'll be reluctant, but we may still be able to buy them off. Remember, if we kill them, they're never gonna talk, and that will end badly for all of us. If they haven't transferred him, we may even be able to get this done quickly. Either way, I think we should get a move on, the faster we talk to these girls, the faster we can get paid.
Von
PAN = Passive| Fake SiN = Juan Gonzales

<< [Pedro] Warden, I agree wholeheartedly. To the Hardpan at once! Lyle, may I travel with you in your car again?>>
sabs
Rick Noland

<<[Lyle] I don't know Ghost. If it's an extraction than a ransom notice makes no sense. But then, neither does an 8:30 am Hack attempt. Especially one that fails. The team got to his room, and out without being noticed. But they get caught trying to hack in? That seems.. off.>>

Rick asked Hazif "I must apologize, but what did you find out about the attempted hack? Was there a digital signature of any kind?"

<<I think Warden, you're starting from the wrong position. I think that the Black Cats were hired to extract him, and that either someone else is using the opportunity to blackmail Mr Falcone, or The Black Cats are using it as an opportunity to make a little extra side cash. I think the former is more likely than the last. But I agree, we should go shortly and try and see if we can't talk to the Black Cats. >>
J. Packer

"No need to apologize, it is a legitimate question. We detected no signature. The individual made it inside of our firewall, but was unable to break the security around the video from the cameras. They left the ransom note, and covered their tracks before they left. We did track it back to an anonymizer as the first jump away from our node, but obviously no further."

Thanee

<< [Ghost] That someone, if he/she/it isn't involved in the whole kidnapping process in some way, would have to know about it, though. How would that work out? No, it can only come from someone involved there. >>

"Mr. Hazif, how exactly did you get the ransom note?"
sabs
Rick Noland

<<[Lyle] Yes, someone would have to know about the extraction and use it. It's not a very clean theory either. But the whole thing does not appear to be very clean. There's gaps in the logic everywhere. >>

Lyle listens to Hazif's answer attently trying to increase his understanding to get to the right conclusions.

Faraday

<<[Warden] Y'know, they could just be a bunch of fuck ups.
J. Packer

"Digitally, of course," says Hazif in response to Ghost's last question, "the intruder left it where Mr. Jaron would see it immediately. A simple demand for the money in exchange for the return of Mr. Belenkiy and the salvaging of the company's reputation, and Mr. Jaron's."
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 2:50pm | Horse Trot Ranch, Denver, Sioux Sector]

<< Assuming that a group of Shadowrunners with a Team Name, who I was told are 'touchy' and known to back out of jobs when the Johnson insulted one of their own, are a bunch of fuck ups. Seems to be an invitation for failure. >>

"And you're sure noone has made an offer to buy the ranch, or force Mr Falcone out? Was Mr Belenkiy a repeat guest? or was this his first time here at the Ranch?"

Rick gets some thoughts. <<I'm ready to head out, when ever you are. I'll be in VR, if someone can take my hand when we leave, and walk me back to the car. Appreciate it.>>
Rick drops into VR.

[ Spoiler ]

Faraday

<<[Warden]Yeah, yeah, I was just kiddin. Pedro, I'd say you best lead him, you're gonna go into his car. You might need to take him over the shoulder though.

While I'm at it, after we're done with this little job of ours, I could take a look at your 'link. I know a few tricks that'd make that baby really roll.
J. Packer

"I am Mr. Jaron's assistant, and would likely know of any pressure to sell the ranch, or any portion of the corporation. I am unaware of any such situation. Mr. Jaron, he has enemies in his past - including the one that put him in the wheelchair - but that was a long time ago, and in Seattle. And they are the type to ensure that you are dead, not merely ruin your economic future."

He looks up some data on his 'link. "Mr. Belenkiy was a first time visitor with us, registered for a conference for executives on management strategies and improving employee morale. The other executives who are staying here are attending the conference as we speak."

Rick's data search turns up the following data on Falcone's business: That his is one of many such companies that provide services to the larger Corp entities in Denver. They are always looking for an edge with one another, but none of them looks to be big enough to be likely to finance a full-on run against one another. They are the tiny little fish that swim near the sharks for protection, rather than predatory themselves. Falcone is involved in some organizations that promote cooperation in their industry as well, and seemed to be well liked.

What's odd, however, is that you're not the only one looking at Falcone. It seems that a decker by the name of HammerJack - and I do mean a decker, from back in the day - has been digging up data on Falcone as well.

Oh, and that if you happen to find yourself with any cutting edge cyber gear or computers, Falcone is a great place to unload them - he's not a full time fence, but for the right gear, he'll gladly pay.
sabs
Rick Noland

<<Well, this just gets more interesting. Some decker is looking into Mr Falcone as well, AND looks like Mr Falcone fences high end Matrix gear. Here's the short version link>>

<<[Rick]@[Eric] Hey buddy, got a question for you. You ever hear about a Decker named Hammerjack?>>
Rick is going to do some digging into Hammerjack, see if he can find a way to contact said hacker, and also just get more information if he's part of a team, what his reputation is. He'll check the Datahaven forums, see if he's posted on there.

[ Spoiler ]
Von
PAN = Passive| Fake SiN =Juan Gonzales

<<[Pedro] Warden, are you suggesting I "extract" Belenkiy? I can go invisible and take him out while the other members of the team distract the Black Cats (if they did indeed originally extract Belenkiy), but this is of course assuming he's not locked up in some storage space or secret dungeon. >>

J. Packer

Vehicles are climbed onto and into, and a course is plotted for the Hardpan. While you're getting everything situated, Rick sends out his note about the info he's found on Falcone, and the decker.

A few minutes into the drive, which is taking you a bit further north and west, but still inside Sioux territory, the data search returns another hit, that HammerJack does still post from time to time, but he's a bit of a crackpot, always talking about how things were in the "good old days."

Erik returns your ping with a digital shrug. <<[Erik]@Lyle: Means nothing to me, I'm afraid.>>

Fifteen minutes later, you find yourself at the Hardpan

[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:09pm | Horse Trot Ranch, Denver, Sioux Sector]

The place looks like it's just getting started opening for business. A few 4x4's are parked outside, and they look like they get rugged use.
Faraday
WARDEN
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 2:50pm|Horse Trot Range, Denver, Sioux Sector]

With everyone else ready to make for the bar, Warden leads the way out and lets Ghost do the goodbyes, since Lyle is clearly going on about his data search.

<<[Warden]Another tangent. Wonderful.

<<@Pedro: Actually, I was just talin about Lyle here, since you're driving with him. Although it might not be a bad idea to have you do the extracting if we get close and we're somewhere between talking and shooting.>>

======================
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:09pm|The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Warden takes in the new location, hopefully there won't be too many crazies at this point. "By the way, Lyle." Warden gives the man a wry experession. "You might not wanna go VR in front of clients like that, you were drooling bad."

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee

After getting the credstick with the advance payment offered by Hazif, Ghost also takes her leave then.

"Thank you, Mr Hazif. We have several leads we are going to follow now. We will keep in touch, and hopefully will be able to deliver Mr Belenkiy back to you in a healthy state. Good bye!"

Ghost then follows the others out and heads for her bike.

On her way, she changes her hair and face to look distinctively chinese once more.
J. Packer
Looking into the wind, Warden sees Riverside Cemetary's well-kept lawns and silently thanks whoever he believes in that you're upwind from the sewage treatment plant in the opposite direction. Behind the bar sits an algae processing facility, as well. It's a very rugged country, up here, with most of the city having been left to grow over.

Interesting thing you notice - no bouncer outside.
Faraday

"So, middle of fraggin' nowhere, no bouncer in sight. Interesting. Either they don't need one, or they just lost theirs. I'll head in first. Stick close, though."

Warden starts making his way for the door.
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:09pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN = Hidden | Fake SiN = Lyle Emmet | CAS Citizen

"Just look around Warden, don't try and approach anyone."

Rick looks over at Ghost, "How you want to play this. We scream 'Runners' when you look at us together." He points out Pedro, Cruiser. "We're not gangers, and we're not corps."

Rick is formulating an idea in his head, but he's actively seeking suggestions.
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina
PAN = Hidden | Fake SiN = Juan Gonzales

<<[Pedro] Lyle, perhaps you could ask the bartender if he/she has heard of the Black Cats, and then tell her you would like to hire them for a job and perhaps the bartender or somebody who knows them can put you in touch. I can wait outside in the parking lot with the others so as not to raise suspicion. >>
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:09pm | Horse Trot Ranch, Denver, Sioux Sector]

While the others continue to discuss courses of action outside, Warden opens the door and steps inside. His eyes adjust quickly to the dimmer light. There's music playing in the background - no band, it must be streamed in - and there are a small handful of customers at the bar and various tables around the room.

He's surprised that the music didn't stop when he walked in, as everything else did. Card games, darts, the woman behind the bar drying off a beer mug. Every one of them stops and looks up at Warden, and he quickly sees why no need for a bouncer.

The clientele here are a mix of various Sioux tribesfolk, Wildcats, tough hombres. The woman behind the bar even has obvious cybereyes that glower at him with a green light through narrowed slits.

He's the only Anglo in the room.
Thanee
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 3:09pm | The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Before they arrive, Ghost seperates herself from the rest, in order to get there a few minutes after the rest. No point of them going there as a group.

<< [Ghost] I'm getting there in a few minutes, so we don't all arrive together. >>
Isinghar
Tony "Cruiser" Santa Cruz
PAN = Passive, Fake SIN: Marcos del Campo

Cruiser has remained quiet just listening to the clues, details and plans the team has been sharing. He is at a loss of new ideas so decides to play along and follow the plan. He jumps into Lyle's Jackrabbit and takes his time going through the evidence in his head, Something just seems wrong with all this. Who the hell is this HammerJack decker? What the frag is a decker anyway? Didn't those go the way of the T-Rex years ago? Shit the guy most probably has an antique BlackBerry or some old piece of shit laptop!!! Ha ha ha, he grins to himself as he rides along in the car.

<< [Cruiser]: Lyle did you ask Falcone if he knows of anyone called HammerJack? Maybe he's some old geezer the old rancher knew from his Fixer days... Maybe someone who hates his guts, and looking for some payback? Something is not adding up... Maybe shadowrunner chicks are responsible for taking Mr. B, but hacker is a 3rd party who learnt of kidnapping and trying to ruin Mr. Falcone, you know take advantage of the situation. >>

Once they get to The Hardpan, Cruiser tells the team, "I'm going to stay outside, in case someone tries to sneak away when you guys go in."

He will look for a good place to hide that has a clear view of the exits.

[ Spoiler ]
sabs
Rick Noland

<<[Lyle] Ghost, why don't you give Mr Hazif a call, see if the name Hammerjack rings any bells?>>
Faraday

Warden stops for a beat. Oh... Well, Warden isn't the greatest word smith around, so he tries to ease the heat off by maybe speaking a local language. In Dakota: "Um, heard this place had a decent brew, don't mind the pinkskin here."

Warden uses his skinlink DNI to think out a warning.
<<Warden @ Team: The bar is FULL of natives. And they don't seem very happy about me being white. Gonna get a drink.
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:10pm|The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Time seems to pick back up again, and folks go back to what they're doing. The bartender says "I have a couple <somethings> on tap. What were you looking for in particular?"

[ Spoiler ]

Outside, Cruiser finds just the right spot - he might as well be in a hunting blind.
Faraday

"Surprise me." Warden takes a seat at the bar. "Hey, I got a couple buddies who don't know the local language so well. Should I have 'em wait outside?"
sabs
Rick Noland

<<Warden. I've got a play. I'm going to come in like a Johnson. You're my muscle. Can you play that?>>

Rick nods to the others, "Stay in touch." He double checks his suit, weapons, and puts on a pair of sunglasses. <<Pedro, I'll feed you my video. Keep the others in the loop.>>

That said, Rick starts walking towards the bar. It's interesting to watch, by the time he gets to the door, Rick is moving exactly like one would expect of a Corp Johnson.

Faraday

<<Warden @Lyle: I told 'em I'm just here for the drinks, but sure. I'll act the tough guy. You want anything from the bar? Oh, and the bar lady speaks Dakota, I dunno how her english is.>>
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:11pm|The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

The bartender taps Warden something amber and places it before you. When he says he's bringing in friends who don't speak the language, her face hardens. "They're your responsibility."

Lyle enters the building, looking like a corp guy. The scene repeats itself, with plenty of folks stopping to watch as he walks in.
Faraday

"Well, I think "Mr. Johnson" is the only one coming in. He's a well trained monkey, so should behave himself ok." Warden looks over at Lyle. "Hey boss."
sabs
Rick Noland

Rick quickly reaches out and downloads a Dakota linguasoft, wincing internally at the cost.

[ Spoiler ]

Rick nods to Warden joining him at the bar. Speaking in very formal Dakota. "Warden, were you able to locate Miss Sandy? We are on a schedule."

He nods to the bartender. "Please, put his drink on my tab." Sliding a certified credstick on the bar, with some 200 nuyen.gif on it. "I hope this will get us properly started."
Faraday

"Thanks boss... and no, I ain't found any Sandies yet. Maybe you could ask, uh, our bartender?"

[ Spoiler ]
Isinghar
Tony "Cruiser" Santa Cruz
PAN = Passive, Fake SIN: Marcos del Campo

While Cruiser sits in his hiding spot still twirling the facts and clues around in his head he decides to try and get some information on the Black Cats from the only contacts he has in the city: Peaches and Carlos. His guess is that most 'Runners operating in the city will have had the need to work with a coyote at some point, so he decides to call Peaches first, additionally he had not called her earlier like he promised and wanted to make up for that...

<< @Peaches[Cruiser]: Afternoon babe! Cruiser here. You thought I had forgotten about you? Not a chance. Listen thought you might be available for a drink or something on Saturday night. Maybe you can show me around the Five-by-Five. I would have preferred to meet tonight but am working at the moment. By the way, would you happen to know of a team of chicks who call themselves the Black Cats? I'm going to be working with them tonight and wanted the scoop on if they are trustworthy? Have a good rep? You know, just want to check them out before I have them cover my back. Anyway, looking forward to that drink. Call me! >>

He then sends a message to Carlos:

<< @Carlos[Cruiser]: Hey bato, how are you doin'? I need to ask you for another favor. I'm about to meet up with a team of chick 'Runners who call themselves the Black Cats. They operate in Sioux sector. You heard of them? Are they trustworthy? Do they have a good rep? Listen please keep my inquiries on the down-low, don't want to scare them off. Thanks chummer. >>

Thanee
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 3:11pm | The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

<< [Ghost] Sure, can do that. I will stay outside for now. I guess you guys will be enough irritation for the locals. >>

Calling the ranch, Ghost asks for Hazif and then asks him about the decker's name... Hammerjack.

"Hello, Mr. Hazif! Sorry, that we have to bother you again this early, but there is a name that popped up on our searches and we would like to know if it rings any bells for you or especially Mr. Jaron. The name is 'Hammerjack'."
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:12pm|The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Speaking in slightly stilted Dakota is enough to earn a positive grunt. The cash on the table helps a bit as well, and finally hearing who you're looking for seals the deal.

"You're looking for Sandy, you found her. Somebody send you my way?"

While she's talking, she taps another beer for Lyle, and sets it on the counter in front of him.

Warden feels rather than hears a few of the folks in the bar paying close attention - a protective group, Sandy's customers.

Outside, the Padre waits outside the Jackrabbit, leaning against it. Cruiser's taken a hidden position so good that even Padre, who watched him walk there, can't see him, and Ghost cruises up, slightly tardy after her masking session.

As she's climbing off the bike, she gets a reply from Hafiz. "I have never heard the name, but will check with Mr. Jaron and get back to you."
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:12pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Rick picks up the beer and takes a long pull from it before setting it down. "A pleasure to meet you Sandy. A business associate of mine, Mark Longfeather, suggested that you would be the person to talk to. I am interested in procuring the services of a Team I understand you are familiar with. A group of talented women, The Black Cats?"

He gives her a calm and steady look, portraying confidence.

[ Spoiler ]

J. Packer

Sandy looks you up and down, back over to Warden, then back to Lyle. She walks down to the end of the bar to serve another customer, and then comes back.

"You drop the right kind of names, and you speak with the right kind of respect, but I'm not buying it. What do you really want?"
sabs
Rick Noland

Rick looks into the bartender's eyes. "A friend of mine's business is being compromised. He has asked me to help him. I believe that the Black Cats are uniquely qualified to help me, and my friend in this matter. I would gladly meet them here, to show that my intentions are respectful and honorable. I just wish to speak to them about a business opportunity that I hope, will be good for both them, and I."

He takes another swig of beer, calm, collected, but trying to display that his intentions match his words.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012