Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Denver Missions Team 1
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:12pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

"Hmnh," she grunts, her cybereyes narrowing. "That's closer to the truth, anyway. Give me your comm ID. I will pass it along, and your request."

She takes the ID and walks away, to serve other customers. The room is still a little tense, but no one is actively watching you right now.

Outside, another pair of 4x4's arrive, and pull into parking spots. Three Sioux men get out, and head for the door. The other holds two people, but they've not yet gotten out of the truck.
Thanee
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 3:12pm | The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]
Ghost; PAN = Passive, Fake SIN: Elayne Allister

Since she isn't needed inside, Ghost has taken up position in the vincinity, but not directly on the parking lot of the Hardpan, or too close to it. She sends a quick warning to the team, even though none might be necessary, as the new arrivals could just be customers. But you never know.

<< [Ghost] Everythings working out well for you in there? A bunch of Sioux guys are just about to head in, two more are outside still in one of their offroaders. >>
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:12pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN = Hidden | Fake SiN = Lyle Emmet | CAS Citizen

"Thank you, Sandy. I do appreciate your time."

<<Well, I think I got us a meet with the Black Cats. But we'll have to see. How's it going on your end?>>

Rick indicates a table. "Warden, lets take a table and relax for a bit." He picks out a table that's not too near any of the locals, not wanting to make them feel ill at ease.

J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:15pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Lyle and Warden sit for a bit, finish another beer a piece. The three guys come in and take spots at the bar. Soon thereafter, the two other fellows come in from their 4x4 and go up to talk to Sandy for a bit, before staking out a table for themselves while Sandy nukes some WonderSoy soyawings for them.

After she delivers them to the table, she walks over to you two.

"Will you two blow? I'll call!"
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:17 pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Rick finishes his beer, and indicates for Warden to step out first, and he'll follow him afterwards. "Thank you for the beer."

The pair step outside, where he takes the time to check in with the team. <<We need a place to hole up for a bit, do some other digging, while we wait out their fixer. Pedro, what did you think?>>

Rick steps up towards the car, "You know Warden, I should flesh out this Johnson Persona. It could come in handy. When we have more green, as they used to say."

Rick does some quick AR editing as they walk back, and sends a copy of the conversation to Cruiser and Ghost.

Faraday
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:09pm|The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN = Passive| Fake SiN = James Roland | UCAS Citizen

Warden's been letting Lyle do most of the talking, as usual.

"Yeah, it was nice and comfy having you pull off a Johnson. Felt pretty realistic to me." Warden looks around at the group. "You know, if we're gonna be waiting for a bit, might as well chill out at my place. It's not huge, but it'll do for a few hours."
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina
PAN = Passive| Fake SiN = Juan Gonzales

<< [Pedro] Generally, that looked ok. The only thing I fear is that if Warden's assessment is correct, the natives may be restless indeed, leaving us in a tight situation if the meeting strays from, might I say, purely 'diplomatic' interactions. If at all possible, try to meet with them in private. It will be difficult to formulate a plan before they arrive. Try to delay that we are looking for Belenkiy, perhaps. If you send a comm to me I can go in behind you, invisibly, and then use a Mind Probe spell to figure out what one of the members of the group is thinking, or use Mob Control to use their skills. If the shit hits the fan I can always stun them silly. >>
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:30pm|The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

You put your heads together and discuss things for about fifteen minutes before you hear back from Sandy.

<<[Sandy]@Lyle: 6:30pm. South Platte Park. North East Entrance.>>
Faraday

<<[Warden] More than anything, we need info. We need to know where he is, who has him, and what his condition is. We wanna be amiable up until the point where it's plain that we won't get what we want in that fashion. If that mind probe of yours can be felt... I don't think they're gonna give us the info too easily. I mean, they could just as well have a wiz on their team too, y'know. They ARE natives.
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:30pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN = Passive | Fake SiN = Lyle Emmet | CAS Citizen

"Well, we've got a few hours to kill Lets head over to Warden's place and discuss out options."

Rick settles into the car. <<Ghost, you should work on an Amerind disguise. Warden, I may have to ask you to teach me Dakota I think. Things would have gone much better if I spoke the language like a Native. Padre, I think until we know what's going on with them, I would really prefer not to insult them. When we go into the meet, will you be able to tell if they have a Shaman? And Astral support?>>

The engine turns over as Rick settles into the driver's seat. They'll follow Warden, swinging by to pick up Cruiser... <<I don't think we /need/ to have you keep an eye on this place for the next 3 hours.>>
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:30pm | The HardPan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

You gather the team and pull away. As you're heading towards Warden's place, about 15 minutes away, Cruiser gets a quick reply from Carlos.

<<Unfortunately, no, hombre. That's not a name I'm familiar with. Are they hot?>>
Thanee
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 3:30pm | The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

<< [Ghost] Without speaking the appropriate language, it's only half a disguise, though. >>
J. Packer
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 3:45pm | The Hardpan, Denver, Sioux Sector]

You arrive at the apartment that Warden lives in, and have some time to kill.

A reply on Cruiser's comm unit from Peaches: <<I'm free on Saturday night, sweetie. Say 8:00? As for these Black Cats, I've heard of them, never worked with them. Tighter than sisters they say.>>
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

Pedro removes his hat as he tries to remain composed under the stress of a meeting with the Black Cats, and all the uncertainties that brought with it.

"I will certainly be able to give astral support to the team. I can use my skill of assensing to determine if an astral presence lurks in our midst. I might not be able to tell you too much about the awakened character, but it will be helpful to know if they do have an awakened character on their team."
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 3:45pm | Warden's Place, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN = Passive | Fake SiN = Lyle Emmet | CAS Citizen

"Tell me Padre. You say you're a Wizard? That mean you have the Sight? I remember seeing this Trid Show once, where this Wizard Detective used his Sight to get an idea of what happened. Did you do something like that at the Ranch? Like could you have told us if magic was used there? or something? Or like.. if we had some of those cigarettes could you use them to locate B? Since he smoked em or something?"

Rick's magic theory is firmly grounded in Trid Videos.

Rick sighs, "I'm pretty confident about the Extraction thing. But we really don't know enough.. "

Bringing up an AR window on the side, Rick sends Hammerjack a private message on one of the boards he's known to post on.
[ Spoiler ]

<<

Chummer,

I noticed you're looking into this Falcone guy. I am too, perhaps we could trade info? I'm running into some walls, and I figure a Decker like yourself probably has some Drek Hot ways of getting info.

R'U'Ken

>>
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

Pedro, at first slightly puzzled by what Lyle has said, nods as he begins to understand.

"Ah, yes. I'm not sure what you mean. What I have described before is astral perception, a kind of 'sight' used by awakened metahumans. Or perhaps you had something else in mind?"
sabs
Rick Noland
PAN = Active | Fake SiN = Lyle Emmet | CAS Citizen

"I'm not sure Padre. Did you examine the room, mystically? Was there anything there we missed? I don't know this Magicdrek. You do. Is there anything you could have done, that maybe you didn't do.. that would get us more information?"

Faraday
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:45 pm|Warden's Place, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Warden's place is a pretty basic 1-bedroom apartment, a little furniture, some hacked trids, the food processor looks old, but functional. The floor is actually somewhat clean, albeit messy.

He's been fridge foraging while the others talk, getting some lunch to drink.
"Well, I think he woulda done it, if he figured it would help, y'know? He's gettin' paid like the rest of us, eh?"
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

"For the time being, I believed I've done all I can. If you have any suggestions or actions you think would be beneficial to the mission, let me know and I will do the best I can to carry it out. "
Faraday
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 3:45 pm|Warden's Place, Denver, Sioux Sector]

"Always good to have a wiz at your back." Warden settles down on the couch among the rest of the team, absently sipping on the myco-soy protein shake. "Y'know, we could probably stand to get better acquainted. I'll start, I s'pose. Real name's Andre, and I used to live in Fargo. Did corp sec for a while before I got...washed out. One night, I was pretty tired and almost ready to punch out when I see a pair of headlights coming at me. Fast. I got caught or misjudged something cause I remember falling and then a real bright white light and...then nothin'. I don't remember what happened after that for a while but I guess I almost died. The recounting is sort of hurried and a little flat, like it's something he's recounting but doesn't care to.

"Anyway, I couldn't walk after that, spinal nerves got cut. Came here to fix 'em, which made me almost broke with no job. One thing leads to another, and here I am.
sabs
Rick Noland

"Alright. I admit, I'm not really knowledgeable on how magic works. That's why we got you." Rick will let the matter drop and just worry himself inside. Going over his files, trying to make sense of the whole situation. It's frustrating to only have one bit of information that makes any sense. Letting the time pass and listening to the team chew the fat while they wait.

"My real name's Rick. And until about 4 weeks ago I was an up and coming sales manager for Renraku." His eyes get distant for a bit. "I lost a bid for a promotion, ended up on the wrong side of a frame up. So here I am. No pension, no house, 80 nuyen.gif to my name until our first job. I probably need a handle that sounds cooler than Lyle."

[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 5:00 pm | Warden's Place, Denver, Sioux Sector]
"I'm thinking.. Cruiser, you and Padre hang out back as support if anything goes wrong. I'll take Ghost and Warden in as muscle. And we'll see what we can get from them. These girls are /real/ touchy. We've gotten confirmation of that from two sources. They walk away when things don't make them happy. So I want to make them as happy as we can."

At 5:30, after having checked his equipment for the umpteenth time, he'll get up. "Looks like it's time gang."
Isinghar
Tony "Cruiser" Santa Cruz
PAN = Hidden | Fake SIN = Marcos del Campo | UCAS Citizen

Cruiser sulks in a corner of Warden's apartment listening to the conversation, "My real name's Tony Santa Cruz... Officer Tony Santa Cruz. I was Lone Star in Seattle, until Knight Errant fired us when they took over the contract for the city police enforcement. That is why I am in Denver, looking for new beginnings. I've been called Cruiser from my time at the Academy and because I was assigned to the Motorcycle Patrol, and I guess because my last name is Cruz."

"Rick you do need a better handle. Lyle is pretty lame... sorry for the honest feedback, but I do this for your own good." He winks and breaks into a wide grin.

As the planning progresses he jumps in, "Drop me off a few miles away from the meeting point, and I will sneak my way a little closer. I will keep an eye open for any back-up or reinforcements they might have."

Von
Fr. Pedro Medina
[Thursday, April 8th 2072| 3:45pm|Warden's Place, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Pedro takes his shoes off, shuts his eyes as he tries to relax before the meeting, and begins to tell his story.

"My name is Pedro. My story is complex, but recently I had run into trouble with a former order I belonged to. They are known as The Order of the Temple, but in the past they were known more commonly as the Knights Templar. The Templars have a deep and rich history extending as far back as the crusades, and several secret societies internationally claim links to the Templars, whose practices derive, in part, from the hashishin. But Before my exposure to the hidden gnostic gems of the Templars, I was a practicing mage with the Order of St. Sylvester. I eventually left the order because I could not stand the constant hypocrisy, and in particular, the limitations placed on the appropriate practice of magic. The Templars offered me freedom I could have never had with the Sylvestrians."

Pedro clears his throat, finding it difficult to continue.

"But I had to leave the Templars too, for reasons I would rather not discuss. They are after me, so I have come to the shadows in Denver, to hide from their wrath."
Thanee
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 4:00pm | Warden's Place, Denver, Sioux Sector]

"Name's Elayne. Elayne Allister. It's not my birthname, but I do not use that anymore. My story is not very exciting, I'm afraid. After the crash, my parents died back then, I got into an orphanage and grew up there, until I decided that it's not to my liking and I'm better off alone. So the streets it was for a while. I got by pretty well, even at that young age I had some years of kung fu training under my belt already, got into that quite early. Plus, I'm awakened, like Pedro. Just that I'm not the kind that flings spells, but my magic is more like chi. At least that's how far as I understand it. It has helped me survive, that's for sure. Well, and since I wasn't quite in the position to get a decent job, it was the shadier side where I went to to get the money needed to improve my living conditions. And here I am. Just came here to Denver a couple weeks ago. So far, I do not regret the decision. Quite the opposite."
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 5:30 pm | Warden's Place, Denver, Sioux Sector]

With the downtime, you're able to eat a little something, and generally relax while you wait

You get contact from Hafiz, who indicates that Falcone doesn't specifically recall ever having any dealings with anyone who went by the name Hammerjack, but that he used to work with many different teams in the old days, and didn't always know the names of everyone on their teams.

Response never comes to the posting addressing Hammerjack online. Either he's not seen it yet, or he's chosen not to respond yet, but either way there's been little response.

5:30 rolls around and you pile back onto and into your vehicles and make your way to South Platte Park. The drive is uneventful, and it's fully dark when you get nearby. It's approaching 6:00 when you arrive, and drop Cruiser off before you get to the park. As you approach the park, you see a well-lit parking lot and picnic tables nearby. The park abuts a public golf course, though at this time of night there aren't any golfers out.
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 5:50 pm | South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN=Passive | SiN = Lyle Emmet | CAS Citizen

"Padre, we'll leave you in the car. Do you think you can scout the place out ahead of us? I just want to make sure we don't have too many surprises."

Rick looks at the others, "We'll have to look into picking up some drones for surveillance.. I hate going everywhere blind."
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina
[Thursday, April 8th 2072| 5:50pm|South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Pedro sighs. So be it, nobody wants to be seen with a Catholic priest on their side.

"So be it. I will stay by. Let me know if you think they have a magical character on their side. I'll come in at the drop of a hat. Send a comm my way if you feel the need to. I could send a spirit out but I wouldn't want to raise anyone's suspicions."
Isinghar
Tony "Cruiser" Santa Cruz
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 5:50 pm | South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]
PAN=Hidden | SIN = Marcos del Campo | UCAS Citizen

Cruiser jumps out of the jackrabbit as the team approaches the Park. He looks around for a good hiding spot which has a good view of the roads into and out off the Park...

[ Spoiler ]
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

Pedro attempts to summon an earth spirit in the form of the angel Uriel.

<< [Pedro] I have sent the angel Uriel to watch over you in my absence. >>
J. Packer

The angel Uriel arrives in a flash of light that only the Padre can see.

How may I be of aid to you, my child?

Cruiser climbs into a spot between two bushes. It gives him a great perspective on the picnic tables and a clear field of fire even into the parking lot proper.

The rest of the team takes a moment to scout around and finds that the park is essentially deserted. A few golfers might be playing on the course to the north of the park, but the clubhouse is far enough away that they won't be an issue. You find comfortable spots and wait for your meeting to occur.
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

<< [Pedro] Uriel has been summoned. Send me a comm in case you believe you may have run afoul with matters astral. Any shaman or mage will have a tough time dealing with Uriel. >>

Wait and keep watch over the astral plane, vessel of the Lord. At the word of my associates I will issue my command.
J. Packer

Uriel departs for the parking area, though Pedro can still detect his presence.

At a quarter past six, a motorcycle comes into the parking lot and pulls to a stop. A woman in black leathers gets off of the bike and approaches the three of you that are waiting for her.

Uriel reports back to Pedro: The woman is attended by spirits. They, like I, are waiting and observing.

A look of consternation on her face, the woman addresses you. Only Warden and Lyle understand her, but Ghost does not.

"Who are you? What do you want?"
sabs

Rick steps forward, speaking in Dakota, "My name is Lyle."

He looks about briefly, before diving in. "I'm here to discuss the kidnapping of Mr Jonathan Belenkiy. I'm trying to understand why a team with the reputation of the Black Cats. Would involve themselves in a Kidnapping and Ransom deal."

Rick
gauges the young Amerind woman for her reaction.

Thanee
[Thursday April 8th, 2072 | 6:15pm | South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Chinese-disguised Ghost says something in fluent chinese.

[ Spoiler ]
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072| 6:15pm|South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

"My team and I are not kidnappers, and we have nothing to do with any ransom," she says, and Warden can tell she's a bit hot under the collar. She glances at Ghost, but doesn't respond. It's hard to tell if she understood or not what Ghost said.
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 6:15pm | South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Rick sets up a Comm Channel with Ghost, and feeds the translation of what's going on to her.
<<These ladies are not known for being.. Anglo Friendly. I thought speaking to them in their language would be an appropriate show of .. respect. >>

"I have video footage of your team kidnapping Mr Belenkly. I also have a ransom note left on my client's internal systems. It's a fairly straight forward case. You're saying that the Black Cats had nothing to do with Mr Belenkly's kidnapping? Or the Pay US or He Dies note left behind just a few hours after you left the Horse Trot Ranch?"

Rick looks the young Amerind right in the eyes. "I want to believe you. I do. Your reputation precedes you. But the facts seem to contradict your words."

<<Padre.. can you tell us if this woman is speaking Truth, or.. as they say with a Forked Tongue?>>
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina
[Thursday, April 8th 2072| 6:15pm| South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

<< [Pedro] Perhaps, we will see how strongly I can perceive it. I will see if this woman speaks like the serpent in the garden. >>
J. Packer
[Thursday, April 8th 2072| 6:15pm| South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Shifting his sight into the beyond, Pedro peers at the woman as she climbs off of her motorcycle. She seems generally healthy, though dark patches indicate the presence of unnatural things - cyberware or the like, things that God didn't put there - and more to the point, she is not a practitioner of the magical arts, utterly unAwakened.

Traces lead away from the two spirits in attendance, leading off in the distance.

The woman is tense, and a little angry when she arrives, and that anger flares to life as the conversation begins.
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina

<< [Pedro] I have a feeling this woman is speaking drek. Go into detail about the ransom and watch her squirm. I think you may need to try to bargain, or intimidate them if necessary. >>
Faraday
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 6:15 pm|South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Warden senses the woman's anger, but also takes into account the message from Pedro. Perps caught on his watch didn't like getting grilled and usually clammed up, but they could be more pliant to a softer appraoch. The conflicting information has him thinking fast. If I was in their shoes... He glances over at Rick.

"Whoa there, Slick, we're not exactly the Star." He turns back to the Cats.Make em think you're on their side. "Ladies, we know you moved the guy out of the Horse Trot Ranch, we've got footage of it. I don't know why, but what we do know is that our employer now has a ransom. It says he's ghoul chow if they don't pay up."
Thanee

Ghost watches the others, but her eyes seem to be focused on something else most of the time.

She has put the translations that Lyle sends her into the AR display of her image link.

<< [Ghost] Thanks! It's slightly annoying not to understand anything. wink.gif >>
J. Packer

"Okay," she says, "yes, we do have the man, but we're not kidnappers. And I still don't know what you're talking about in terms of a ransom. That's not the kind of work we do."
sabs
Rick Noland
[Thursday, April 8th 2072 | 6:15pm | South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Rick nods, "Good, we're getting somewhere." He fishes out his commlink, and brings up the holographic display. "This is a copy of the ransom note our client was given." A copy of the ransom note displays for the Amerind.

<<Looks like the Ransom note wasn't posted by the extraction team. Not sure where that leaves us.>>

Thanee

<< [Ghost] Good! Then our thoughts might have been into the right direction. Maybe they will be interested in working together to get to the one that is using their work to enrich himself and/or ruin Falcone. >>
Faraday

"Let me guess, someone hired you to take him? Our biggest concern here is for his safety, and that he gets back to the Ranch soon. If you're not involved with the ransom, then the next logical step would be your employer. Sounds like you're getting played."
Von
Fr. Pedro Medina
[Thursday, April 7th 2072| 6:15pm | South Platte Park, Denver, Sioux Sector]

Pedro waits in the car anxiously, waiting to get word of Belenkiy from Rick, Warden, and Ghost.

<< [Pedro] What's going on? Do they have Belenkiy? Where is he? I can send Uriel out to search for him, but I doubt they brought him to the meeting. >>
Faraday

Warden shoots off a quick message to Pedro.

<< @Pedro: They do have him, they haven't said where he is though. Could be at a safehouse. We're trying to get more info, just sit tight. >>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012