Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: War! Kills Seamen
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 30 2010, 05:20 AM) *
You could also put the aircraft into some sort of giant missile. Ammunition doesn't require special modifications to work underwater.

Didn't they do that in Macross Zero?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jan 3 2011, 02:18 PM) *
Didn't they do that in Macross Zero?

Not quite, the SV-51 variable fighters from Macross Zero launched vertically from the submarine carrier using their thrusters like a ballistic missile, with their wings folded until they cleared the water. They did not however have any sort of casing or cover - but generally they were depicted as not launching from particularly deep waters. Notably, though, these are aircraft designed for atmospheric AND space flight, and as such have considerably more powerful thrusters than normal aircraft, and can operate without an external air intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fAvalSTuzU - see about 20 seconds in.

-k
hermit
That's because Macross, like many Anime, assumes there is no rising pressure under water.

Now this looks like something that could be used for SR. And while not seeing the FEL operational anytime soon, the magnetic catapult works off a technology that was realised for maglev trains four decades ago.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 3 2011, 06:48 PM) *
Not quite, the SV-51 variable fighters from Macross Zero launched vertically from the submarine carrier using their thrusters like a ballistic missile, with their wings folded until they cleared the water. They did not however have any sort of casing or cover - but generally they were depicted as not launching from particularly deep waters. Notably, though, these are aircraft designed for atmospheric AND space flight, and as such have considerably more powerful thrusters than normal aircraft, and can operate without an external air intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fAvalSTuzU - see about 20 seconds in.

-k

You're right. I distinctly remember them launching from the sub while submerged, but I couldn't remember the specifics. And yes, Macross has rule of cool written all over it, although notable the SV-51 and the VF-0 were not designed for anything other than atmospheric flight.
KarmaInferno
Yeah, sorry, I forgot the Zero variable fighters hadn't yet gained the space travel aspect.

What's funny is that Macross Zero is set in 2008. Clearly the real world fell behind a bit.

-k
Fortinbras
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 4 2011, 05:36 AM) *
That's because Macross, like many Anime, assumes there is no rising pressure under water.

The ship is taking in over 50 atmospheres worth of pressure

How many atmospheres can it withstand?

Well, it's a space ship, so... none!

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 4 2011, 05:36 AM) *
Now this looks like something that could be used for SR. And while not seeing the FEL operational anytime soon, the magnetic catapult works off a technology that was realised for maglev trains four decades ago.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Fort Worth Represent! Suck It, Seattle! Some of us don't get our own sourcebooks.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jan 4 2011, 12:12 PM) *
Well, it's a space ship, so... none!

Correction: "anywhere between 0 and 1."
Fortinbras
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 4 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Correction: "anywhere between 0 and 1."

Yeah, I know.
It's more accurate that way, but I always felt the caveat lessened Farnsworth's joke.
Kronk2
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 29 2010, 02:09 PM) *
Ships communicate via Sat. Maersk's supercarriers (cargo, not drones) are almost entirely automated and are piloted by satlink.

And Most of This is true today, the crew is there to keep the ship moving, and provide oversight.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 4 2011, 09:06 AM) *
Yeah, sorry, I forgot the Zero variable fighters hadn't yet gained the space travel aspect.

What's funny is that Macross Zero is set in 2008. Clearly the real world fell behind a bit.

-k

In fairness, it's still in an alternate timeline given that the Megaroad/Macross had already crashed in its timeline. Which also means access to over technology (I love that term, they use it almost every mecha anime and videogame)

All that aside, I love the imagery of fighters launching from a submarine, either submerged just below the surface or that rises just long enough to launch them before submerging again. Seems impractical as all hell though.
Rotbart van Dainig
Of course, shadowrun has smart materials, superconductors and high-mileage vehicle batteries.
Thus making int possible to create a ducted fan craft than adapt both exterior and fan to both water and air travel.

Of course, by RAW, the Lighter Than Air mod is… All. So you start with an aircraft carrier, add Ballast Tanks, Level 2 Life Support and Lighter Than Air standard upgrades – there is your diving & flying aircraft carrier.
Neraph
Doesn't lighter than air change the vehicle type to air, thereby removing the possibility of using water mods?
sabs
install the ballast tank mods first, THEN lighter than air.
Neraph
Yeah, and then the ballast tanks are useless.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 4 2011, 10:06 PM) *
install the ballast tank mods first, THEN lighter than air.

Then you've just made a dirigible.

I'm not sure why installing one mod than the other is going to keep it from changing to an air type from a water type.

And yes, goddamnit, I'm going to start using Pokemon terminology for this.
sabs
You use lighter than air, you're an air type.
You land on water, turn on the balasts, you're a water type!

smile.gif
Neraph
No, you'd have to land on water and then remove the LTA. As long as you have LTA "equipped" you're air-type.
sabs
I don't see why that's necessarily true.

Course, LTA on a car uses the same amount of mod slots as on an aircraft carrier wink.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 4 2011, 04:12 PM) *
No, you'd have to land on water and then remove the LTA. As long as you have LTA "equipped" you're air-type.

So basically. You use the ballast tanks for both LTA and submersible modes. You pump LTA gasses into the ballast tanks for air-type, you pump water into the ballast tanks for water-type. Now the problem, I guess, is just figuring out how to pump LTA gasses into the ballast tanks in the first place....
Mardrax
Again, electrolyse the water (with power created by hydrodynamics!) in the tanks, then channel the oxygen into the life support system.

Oh, and LTA aircraft carriers. Unless they got a whole lot bigger in SR, still no match for Hindenburg, really.
Though an LTA main battle ship could pretty much stand in for Thors.
Not to mention need a balloon the size of a small country.

Can we make this thread adhere to the rule of cool more?
Rotbart van Dainig
Check out the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin LZ-2065 in Arsenal.
Stahlseele
Zeppelin. Rule of Cool achieved. Thread won.
Now make the Zeppelin a carrier and submersible ^^
Manunancy
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jan 4 2011, 10:19 PM) *
So basically. You use the ballast tanks for both LTA and submersible modes. You pump LTA gasses into the ballast tanks for air-type, you pump water into the ballast tanks for water-type. Now the problem, I guess, is just figuring out how to pump LTA gasses into the ballast tanks in the first place....

Water being a little bit denser than air (by a factor of about 900...), you probably rather pump the helium (or hydrogen) out of the LTA mode ballons and fold them flat, then fill the ballasts to go underwater.

Even with 2070's improved materials lighter than air machines are BIG (a rough approximation would be 1 cubic meter for each kilogram to lift. Of course a strcuture that big will add to the mass... And considering the surface area, forget about armoring more than the nacelle with more than some bits of ballistice weave)
hermit
Does the Blimpsub have lasers on it's bow? I'm pretty sure it needs lasers on it's bow.
Stahlseele
Everything. Is better. With Pirates!
Also, of course Lasers. And Tron-Lines.
hermit
It'S the next gen IronHell. With blimpsubs. Lasers. And Tron lines that glow in the dark!
Stahlseele
And on the Hull above the main airlock, in bold gothic letters:"Welcome to IronHell"
Hmm, i'm kinda reminded of Tailspin and the Air Pirates by now O.o
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/199...chattendorn.jpg
hermit
They also need the tracked mod so they can also drive around if they want to.

Pirates of the 7 seas, continents, and skies. IronHell 2.0
Stahlseele
now we just need several fotball fields worth of airship hull, several tons of high strength lightweight metal armor, several high power ultra light engines, hundreds of tons of aluminium titan alloys. And an army of tinker gnomes ^^
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 5 2011, 12:53 AM) *
Lasers.

Check out the Arsenal entry. wink.gif
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 5 2011, 01:01 AM) *
They also need the tracked mod so they can also drive around if they want to.

No, that's groundcraft only. So is the hovercraft upgrade and the walker mod.

But if you add four mechanical arms, it can walk around on it's hands. And always remember, those can have the same upgrades as cyberlimbs…
hermit
So it is actually a sub-blimp mecha. You're a genius. grinbig.gif
Mardrax
Sorry guys. I'm pretty sure Walker Mode is groundcraft only as well. Plus BOD 10 or less. Shame.

...A really small aircraft carrier?
Stahlseele
Nah, the Awesome comes from the Zeppelin-Component . . it just doesn't work with anything else . .
PBTHHHHT
Great, add in the walker mode. nyahnyah.gif
At this point of the thread, I'm somehow envisioning an AT-AT floating in air with a blimp tied to its back/body, with speeder bikes being launched from it and sea troopers jumping off its sides into the waters below.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jan 5 2011, 09:56 PM) *
Great, add in the walker mode. nyahnyah.gif
At this point of the thread, I'm somehow envisioning an AT-AT floating in air with a blimp tied to its back/body, with speeder bikes being launched from it and sea troopers jumping off its sides into the waters below.

Why did i not think of that? O.o
hermit
QUOTE ("Mardrax")
Sorry guys. I'm pretty sure Walker Mode is groundcraft only as well. Plus BOD 10 or less. Shame.

QUOTE ("Rotbart van Dainig")
No, that's groundcraft only. So is the hovercraft upgrade and the walker mod.

But if you add four mechanical arms, it can walk around on it's hands. And always remember, those can have the same upgrades as cyberlimbs…
Stahlseele
Hmm, Mechanical Arms in that size. Same upgrades as Cyber-Limbs.
Capital Scale implanted Spurs and implanted Panther Assault Cannons? ^^
hermit
Sure. And maximized strength.
Mardrax
You're absolutely right hermit. I should pay more attention late-posting.

I was thinking it would need a lot of strength to walk around on those arms, then I forgot about LTA as well. A little push could just shove it along.

Now it just needs Movement of epic proportions. To, you know, run those jets up to speed.
hermit
... bind a high power possession spirit to it with hidden life and the movement power?
Mardrax
In light of the other thread, how about a quickened Animate Object as well? Just to dispense with the necessity of having a way to board.

"Ship? Bow down please."
Rotbart van Dainig
Nah. Inhabitation and some more mechanical arms.
hermit
Yes. It also makes th ship immune to normal weapons, IIRC.
raben-aas
I keep reading "WAR! kills semen". Make that stop smile.gif

(Plus, I'm always reading "Fan letter to CGL – because we can")
Rotbart van Dainig
New glasses?
hermit
Yeah, the seamen are a bad nautical pun, but the thread has been commandeered by the nautical puns faction before and been drifting really far from it's course, so much it almost sunk at least twice. I suppose we just lay off these or the mods may well keelhaul us.
Stahlseele
Yarrr
StealthSigma
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 6 2011, 06:27 AM) *
Yeah, the seamen are a bad nautical pun, but the thread has been commandeered by the nautical puns faction before and been drifting really far from it's course, so much it almost sunk at least twice. I suppose we just lay off these or the mods may well keelhaul us.

I count thrice almost sunk.
Mardrax
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 6 2011, 11:05 AM) *
Yes. It also makes th ship immune to normal weapons, IIRC.

Any military vessel that doesn't have hardened armour up to the point a feasible ITNW provides, has a problem.
Of course, what am I thinking? Feasibility was clearly marooned somewhere along the course of this.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jan 6 2011, 01:12 PM) *
I count thrice almost sunk.

And it seems to be running out of air again…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012