Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun and its ridiculous names
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Stahlseele
ok, now i hate YOU more for writing that . .
Sengir
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Feb 8 2011, 05:06 PM) *
OK, so crappy German names are actually by the same token an inside joke, as they are in reference to crappy German words in earlier SR editions? Yeah, that sounds plausible. smile.gif Go, Nachtmachen!

Well, not everybody who's acting like an idiot does so because he is conciously parodying one...
Fatum
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 9 2011, 01:52 AM) *
ok, now i hate YOU more for writing that . .

Фн яigнт cфmrade, aт leasт iт's pфssiвle тф яead шiтнфuт guessing шнaт the нell iт's suppфsed to мeaи.

Also, hat off to raben-aas for his Russian in the Berlin sourcebook - as I've already said in his DA comments, it's both hilarious, awesome and grammatically perfect.
Adarael
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 8 2011, 02:25 PM) *
Öh dön't be ßüch a häter.

...and that is pretty much how Cyrillic is used in the popular media.

Oh, man, I hear that. My ladykins goes absolutely *nuts* every time someone uses "faux russian" fonts like this one: http://www.fontgarden.com/archive/s/soviet.gif

She always tries to actually read it in russian, and then goes, "OH GOD WHAT DID THEY DO."
(In all fairness, it's hilarious to watch.)
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 8 2011, 09:25 AM) *
Well, the developers of Black Ops did not make their homework from the start or didn't even bother with historical accuracy in the first place.

laser dots in sixties? an israeli Galil assault rifle in the 60's when the weapon began production in the 70's? And that's just what I remember from the top of my head.

Well, according to the developers, they "explain" that these are not production models of the weapons in many cases, but the "secret prototype" models that often made their way into Black Ops hands for field testing.

˙sʍǝıʌɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uı pıɐs ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ s,ʇɐɥʇ 'ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן ʇ,uop 'ʎǝɥ

I did find it humorous that the anachronistic H&K G11 clearly has the two extra spare magazines modeled onto the weapon (they sit to the left and right of the loaded magazine), but when reloading the character pulls another magazine from somewhere else instead of using the spares. Also, the spares are still clearly there if you are "out of ammo".

-k
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 8 2011, 04:08 PM) *
Ö really?

Thanks to heavy metal, yes. wink.gif
Stahlseele
Mötörhead! *bangs head and throws up the horns*
Wordman
Umläut: Game of Metal
230 Grains of Therapy
Most street names are pretty silly. I had a character named Juicy Puke once.
CanRay
QUOTE (230 Grains of Therapy @ Apr 24 2011, 09:49 AM) *
Most street names are pretty silly. I had a character named Juicy Puke once.

Well, I have The Accountant From Hell and Puppy The Dog Shaman...
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 6 2011, 10:43 AM) *
Where is there no company named Evil Inc. yet?

Probably most places. Why? grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
'cause it's par for the course ^^
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Adarael @ Jan 6 2011, 02:59 PM) *
It's a nickname because warthogs are ugly, heavy, and hard to kill, just like the plane. The actual designation is Thunderbolt II, to differentiate it from the P-47D Thunderbolt of world war 2, also produced by Republic Aviation. The P-47 was also ugly, heavy, and hard to kill.

...and was nicknamed the "Jug" because of its shape.
CanRay
The US does have a tendency of making flying tanks. nyahnyah.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 27 2011, 02:16 AM) *
The US does have a tendency of making flying tanks. nyahnyah.gif

So will they be the first to create Banshees?
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Apr 27 2011, 06:56 AM) *
So will they be the first to create Banshees?

Nah, that'd be the Russians. The US makes flying tanks of airplanes. The Russians make flying tanks of helicopters. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
And Germany makes flying tanks out of tanks.
mattness pl
QUOTE (War 13 @ Jan 6 2011, 08:55 AM) *
Well the Fuchi in Fuchi Industrial Electronics has always been funny to me. It means stinky or stinks. So it was basically Stinky Industrial Electronics. Not something I would want to but I think.

I think the name is word play on Fuji (the company pretty well known in 80s), similiar to Microsoft alter ego (Microdeck, CEO's name: Brian Gates III)
CanRay
Speaking of, I want to see more MicroDeck in Shadowrun. I think they were in one of the PDF-Only items that's now coming to DTF.

Yes, I'm bitter.
Stahlseele
I think they were mentioned a bit in Prime Runners.
Also, when they canceled SRO, i made an alternate history of the second crash abusing them.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 18 2011, 06:32 PM) *

Mitnick, Kevin Mitnick, Hackers 2 or 3, was it?
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 18 2011, 11:38 AM) *
Mitnick, Kevin Mitnick, Hackers 2 or 3, was it?
Try real life.
Irion
Can someone explain why Vogelhund sounds so stupid if you're German? It looks, from my perspective, like it means "bird-dog", and that doesn't seem too off. So I must be missing something.

Well, I guess because Germans do not tend to name their weapons in German. Heckler und Koch is just using Numbers and some letters.
MP4 (Maschienen pistole 5).
Same goes for most submarines beeing called U-boot(Submarine) Klasse 212A.
The only name I remember is the Dolphin Klasse (Yes, dolphin is the english word, delphin would be the german one). I am not deep into military history, but I guess it has something to do with the fact, that the german Military has around 48.000 Millions to spend per year (compared to the american with 900.000 millions).
Those numbers alone are not helpfull, but lets take a look at the amount of sold weapons:
USA: 6900 Millions (2010)
Germany: 3100 millions (2010) (based on the prices of 1990)
So you see the amount of sold weapons to military is quite different in Germany. So I guess we just do not care about giving the weapons german names...
Thats why I guess most germans are not used to naming stuff in german but in english... (Honestly I am waiting for the first german rifle to be named in arab (since the middle east is a hell of a market))

So it is just, that germans are not used to name products in german, we mostly use english for that I guess.
@KarmaInferno
Americans tend not to think in anything but American perspectives.

Sorry, but on this topic it is quite wrong. Since at this point germay is kind of "special" in naming his products mostly in english. Compare it to France if you like:
English: the computer
German: Der Computer
Frensh: l'ordinateur
(Well, the Frech might be a bit special too, since they tend bend backwards to "translate" anything in their language.
(As I explained to Whipstitch those names do exist in german...)

@Whipstitch
No, but we have animals colloquially called sheep or cattle dogs.

We have those too.
Schäferhund (shepherd dog)
Herdenhund (cattle dog) is also known.
Lawinenhund(avalanchedog)
It is however correct, that we do not use the combination of to animals often. (On the other hand, I just do not know my way around hunting so I might miss a lot)
In german you have more often (Task/Owner) (animal).
Schäferhund (dog of the shepherd)
Spürhund (dog who snifs out stuff)
Blindenhund (dog for the blind)
Hauskatze (cat who lives in the house)

But I would not but my hand into the fire, that the expression vogelhund does not exist...
(Googled it, it does exist: http://www.dfo-nrw.de/m200.php/)
(When I was once on an exchange in america I visited an american german class, and all the german students went like "what did the teacher just say"?
We looked it up and the word existed but, you know, out of use for a hundred years or so.)

So it stands to reason, that some germans do see their own language as strange.
Stahlseele
Some of our weapons actually DO have german names . . but usually, those are not official and given to the weapon by grunts who (have to) use it.
MG 42: Hitlersäge
G36: Legogewehr
and so on and so on . .
Irion
@Stahlseele
Which reminds of something. Germany is only about 22 years old. Freaking christ.
And our constitution is cheated, damn it.

Well, I guess "Hitlersäge" is something you should not say if some guy with a Kamera is near by...
Could get you thrown off the force.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Irion @ Aug 18 2011, 10:00 PM) *
@Stahlseele
Which reminds of something. Germany is only about 22 years old. Freaking christ.
And our constitution is cheated, damn it.

Well, I guess "Hitlersäge" is something you should not say if some guy with a Kamera is near by...
Could get you thrown off the force.

highly improbable.
also, if you wanna skirt the issue, just call it knochensäge. the full name is hitlers knochensäge.
Irion
I was not really serious, I admit it.
Machiavelli
Ah, the good old fries-question. I am fat enough to know a bit about the different fast-food-chains and fries are definitely something that doesn´t rely on the chain you are in. It heavily depends on the employees and their day-form. We have some McD restaurants here where you cannot eat the fries while others make outstanding ones. Same goes for BK and all other competitors. The real difference are the burgers and the corresponding sauces. All the "side-items" are next to meaningless. You have to have them, but nobody goes there just because of the fries...at least not the majority.
Seriously Mike
Heh, it reminded me of my old blog post about using real company names in future systems without much thinking (if you want, I can translate it to English, now I'll just give the short version). It's one of my pet peeves, especially when it comes to weapons. I mean, cars, all right, "Chrysler-Nissan Jackrabbit" may be a bit much to put on the trunk hatch, but it sounds plausible. But when they confuse designer's name or weapon designation with company name, or change one or two letter "just so", that's where I call BS. CP2020 caught more flak, but Shadowrun also pulled a howler with the Ingram guns. Gordon Ingram was just a designer, and the companies who produced his guns were something else entirely. Also, some companies (mostly American) get no respect - for instance, I saw a lot of Colt guns, some Ruger guns, but barely any Smith&Wesson or Springfield.

And then there's that bit about lazy graphic artists...
CanRay
The artists for the new Gun Haven Heaven for the new firearms. *Shudders*
Fatum
Those weren't procedurely generated on a computer? :O
CanRay
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 19 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Those weren't procedurely generated on a computer? :O
I'm guessing someone's niece with crayons, myself. nyahnyah.gif
Fatum
I was thinking pseudorandom. Like some Markov chains applied to gun graphics or something like that.
CanRay
From what I remember of my chaos mathematics pertaining to random generators, they can't make that kind of ugly. nyahnyah.gif

Honestly, they're not bad. They'd be decent pics for Star Wars blasters or some other sci-fi game. But, as firearms... *Shakes Head*
Sengir
QUOTE (Irion @ Aug 18 2011, 09:00 PM) *

While it's called "reunification", technically it was an accession of the DDR to the Federal Republic.

Anyway, Attitude seems to introduce quite a volume of new brand names, but nobody spotted a major blunder yet? I'm disappointed...
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 19 2011, 03:49 PM) *
The artists for the new Gun Haven Heaven for the new firearms. *Shudders*

Are you talking about THIS? If yes, I would fire every last one of those morons. They took photos of toys in worst quality available, and didn't even bother to edit out the screws! Just look at the sample pics: first pistol, a generic China-made toy BB gun. Second pistol, a bad China-made knockoff of a toy BB SIG P226 Railframe (and the 226 is considered a full-size service pistol). Seriously, I'm supposed to PAY for this load of crap?
Oh, and then there's that fifth... something. I could design something better and I'm not even a really talented artist (I do draw from time to time, though).
raben-aas
Can someone explain why Vogelhund sounds so stupid if you're German? It looks, from my perspective, like it means "bird-dog", and that doesn't seem too off. So I must be missing something.

That's actually a pretty tricky question. You see, in English there is this obviously German dog called the "Dachshund", because it's a hunting dog bred to hunt badgers (Dachse). The problem being: This dog isn't called Dachshund in Germany AT ALL!

It's called "Dackel" here.

Of course, it WAS called Dachshund somewhere down the line (AND STILL IS among hunters!! – yes, fellow Germans, Dachshund is indeed the correct name of the Dackel – or Teckel – deal with it) but that name just went out of popular use in Germany a long while ago.

Now, if a German that just happens to not be a professional hunter is shown the word "Dachshund" it just reads as two animals that were glued together for no reason. NO ONE will make the connection with a dog that was bred for hunting badgers, EVERY ONE will think that this is supposed to refer to some horror animal made by crossing badgers and dogs, EVEN THOUGH we still have the Schäferhund (shepherd's dog or German Shepherd) that is neither a crossbreed of a shepherd and a dog (although herding sheep can get lonely...) nor is it a dog bred to hunt shepherds.

Anyway: If even the correct, but not publicy known "Dachshund" sounds awfully wrong to Germans now, you can well imagine that a Vogelhund sounds even worse (it's the kid of a dog that humped a duck, okay?). If the intention was to name the vehicle after a possible German hunting dog bred to fetch birds the hunter shot down, the "correct" name would have been "Retriever", because that is indeed the correct name in German!

Go figure languages....
raben-aas
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 9 2011, 09:35 PM) *
Also, hat off to raben-aas for his Russian in the Berlin sourcebook - as I've already said in his DA comments, it's both hilarious, awesome and grammatically perfect.

Thank you so very very much!

I should note that I do not speak a single word of Russian. I found these tags/sentences/citations by RESEARCH (come on, game developers, look the term up). I went through a wide selection of Russian translation and Russian youth slang websites, digging up useful bits, then CROSS CHECKING THEM by entering the same words/sentences into search engines and looking for other websites that use this grammatical construction.

Only when I found SEVERAL independent websites using the same jargon/grammar/words did I DARE to use it (same goes with the Turkish, Arabic and other foreign bits in my pix).
Stahlseele
German Thoroughness!
CanRay
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Aug 19 2011, 10:32 AM) *
Are you talking about THIS? If yes, I would fire every last one of those morons. They took photos of toys in worst quality available, and didn't even bother to edit out the screws! Just look at the sample pics: first pistol, a generic China-made toy BB gun. Second pistol, a bad China-made knockoff of a toy BB SIG P226 Railframe (and the 226 is considered a full-size service pistol). Seriously, I'm supposed to PAY for this load of crap?
They do seem exceptionally sub-par, indeed.
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Aug 22 2011, 05:14 AM) *
I should note that I do not speak a single word of Russian. I found these tags/sentences/citations by RESEARCH (come on, game developers, look the term up). I went through a wide selection of Russian translation and Russian youth slang websites, digging up useful bits, then CROSS CHECKING THEM by entering the same words/sentences into search engines and looking for other websites that use this grammatical construction.

Only when I found SEVERAL independent websites using the same jargon/grammar/words did I DARE to use it (same goes with the Turkish, Arabic and other foreign bits in my pix).
But that would take time and effort. nyahnyah.gif

Seriously, even back when I was a researcher, that's an exceptional bit of work, especially for a language that doesn't even use the same characters your own does. Congratulations and thanks!
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 22 2011, 05:33 AM) *
German Thoroughness!
Maybe that's why the Germans are getting the good Shadowrun stuff? wink.gif
Stahlseele
Probably.
Beim Thema Deutsche Gründlichkeit, da weiss man halt bescheid.
Bigity
I don't know what you said.

All I know is that Germans seem to be as good at making SR as they are at making beer, and that's all I need to know really.
Sengir
QUOTE (Bigity @ Aug 22 2011, 07:35 PM) *
All I know is that Germans seem to be as good at making SR as they are at making beer, and that's all I need to know really.

We can do bad beer (Adelskronen after three days in the sun, yummy), and we can do Shadowrun stuff like the old uber gear and smurfs wink.gif
Stahlseele
Dude, if you leave ANY beer 3 days in the sun, it's going to become bad beer . . Hell, some beer may actually no longer be beer but a thriving micro civilization after that time . .
CanRay
Alternately, some beer might be better if you poured it back into the horse it came out of.

Well, the world would be, at the very least.
Fatum
For all I know pretty much all sorts of Russian beer don't become any better or worse after being left in the sun for any length of time...
Stahlseele
russian beer?
don't you mean vodka?
that stuff is pretty resistant to all kinds of stuff . .
Sengir
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 22 2011, 10:06 PM) *
Dude, if you leave ANY beer 3 days in the sun, it's going to become bad beer . . Hell, some beer may actually no longer be beer but a thriving micro civilization after that time . .

Well, you wouldn't think that something which only gets sold in plastic bottles at Penny (bottom quarter of the no-frills stores in Germany) can get much worse...

Also, that was after the Maiden massacre on Wacken '08...already couldn't move my arms like 15 meters behind the FoH tower, and judging by the look of raw panic in the eyes of the people who kicked and punched their way out it wasn't getting better farther to the front. By the time we got out of that, I wasn't exactly picky when someone offered me a beer. wink.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 22 2011, 04:24 PM) *
russian beer?
don't you mean vodka?
that stuff is pretty resistant to all kinds of stuff . .
Except Russians. nyahnyah.gif

I want some of Old Man Kalashnikov's Vodka, myself. But it apparently doesn't make it to Canada. frown.gif He started making it due to the fact that the AK-Family became the favorite of terrorists, which pisses him off something fierce. (He was proud of the design as he created it to help soldiers defend his homeland. Which is a very noble thing, if you ask me.).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012