Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Techno-Shifters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fortinbras
Well if the tempo did take effect(which one could rule it didn't as the character is still technically a technomancer, albeit a latent one, but that's a GM call, not RAW) then that would kill any future chance for virtual kinetic abilities as, once a specific ability has been expressed, it's corollary is prohibited.

I'm not sure how a character loses his Magic score from tempo without becoming addicted and without being considered a burnout.

I don't think anyone is implying that possesing spirits can't do what they do because the vessel is a TM. Just as spells affect TMs, I would imagine possession powers without inducing magic do to.
However, I can't see a scenario where someone is a mage, loses their powers and then gets to become a technomancer.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Feb 16 2011, 09:35 PM) *
I'm not sure how a character loses his Magic score from tempo without becoming addicted and without being considered a burnout.

If you gain an ability that gives you a Magic score from the drug, do you not lose it (the ability as well as the score) when it wears off?

Aren't most critter powers kinda dependent on the magic attribute anyway?
So even if you have the power, you do not have the attribute to use it with?

Most critter powers are semi-dependent on the magic attribute. Some critter powers are solely dependent on the magic attribute.
Fortinbras
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 16 2011, 09:57 AM) *
If you gain an ability that gives you a Magic score from the drug, do you not lose it (the ability as well as the score) when it wears off?

Yes, but you've already expressed Magic, therefore it's corollary is prohibited.
But we've already established that a TM can get a Magic score from HMHVV. I still don't see how you are proposing a mage can become a technomancer, nor do I understand which critter powers you are proposing he gets that do not require Magic.

No one is saying that Magic doesn't affect the Emerged. Cast Invisibility on a TM and he becomes invisible. That spell, however, does not make him a magic user. Subsequently, a spirit granting a non-Magic based power doesn't make the TM any more magic than a Critter Form spell.
Stahlseele
Who has established that a TM can get Magic from HMHVV?
We have established that a character that is a TM can get infected and get a Magic Attribute, but he loses his Resonance and thus stops being a TM.
So a TM STILL can't have a magic attribute. A Character can simply go from TM to Magic. But not the other way around.
Fortinbras
That is exactly what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.
I was saying the only way we've established that someone who had a Resonance Attribute can get a Magic attribute is HMHVV, and when that happens your Resonance goes bye-bye. Other than that, once you have either a Resonance or Magic attribute, you can't get the other. Once expressed, it's corollary is prohibited.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Feb 16 2011, 03:25 PM) *
I was saying the only way we've established that someone who had a Resonance Attribute can get a Magic attribute is HMHVV

Or cybermancy.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 16 2011, 09:22 AM) *
Who has established that a TM can get Magic from HMHVV?
We have established that a character that is a TM can get infected and get a Magic Attribute, but he loses his Resonance and thus stops being a TM.
So a TM STILL can't have a magic attribute. A Character can simply go from TM to Magic. But not the other way around.

I think its in Runner's Companion.

A techno essence drained to 0 and turned into [infected] loses his Resonance attribute and gains a Magic attribute instead. There's a quote on the first page about this.

QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 16 2011, 07:59 AM) *
The spirit cannot access Resonance. But can a technomancer not gain critter powers through Endowment?

Sure, a Techno can be Endowed magic based powers, but it's not permanent, and he can't be Endowed twice for two different powers.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 16 2011, 03:59 AM) *
Even if we accept that a metahuman can be refered to a critter for the purposes of this quote, it does not address whether or not/what happens when someone who is normally Emergent gains access to Paranormal powers without gaining a Magic attribute.

Toturi--The last line of my quote specifically lists Adepts. That is a metahuman, not a critter. Yes, the rule covers both.

To the other question, we go to Running Wild, page 204.
Paranormal and Emergent powers are mutually exclusive, and a creature can never have both abilities.

Endowment grants "the use of the power" rather than the power itself. That seems to bypass the exclusion, since the individual endowed a power doens't actually have the power.

Re: Paranormal Critter Powers and Magic:
QUOTE (Running Wild @ p. 205)
All Paranormal critter powers rely on magic, even if they are passive abilities and their descriptions do not reference the Magic attribute. These abilities are impacted by the changes in a critter’s Magic attribute. Critter powers that directly reference the Magic attribute, such as Compulsion, use the modified rating. Other powers, such as Animal Control, are integral to the critter and may still be used as long as the critter still has a Magic attribute greater than 0.
If a creature’s Magic drops to 0, all Paranormal powers are suppressed. In the case of permanent loss due to Magic loss or Essence damage, the powers are permanently lost
when the creature burns out.
LurkerOutThere
Personally I miss my ghoul technomancer concept, everything else can die in a fire.
Yerameyahu
Jesus, that whole argument was about the possibility of a technomancer getting a *temporary granted power*? That's not even close to technomancer/mage or technomancer/paracritter.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 16 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Jesus, that whole argument was about the possibility of a technomancer getting a *temporary granted power*? That's not even close to technomancer/mage or technomancer/paracritter.

Apparently. indifferent.gif
Fortinbras
It's a chink in the armor theory of power gamers.
If I can demonstrate that it is possible to have a Magic score and a Resonance score, then the other 20 times it says I can't are invalid; ergo I can make my Dracomancer that the OP wanted in the first place.
sabs
A temp power does not grant a magic score.
Stahlseele
and if you grant him a power that needs magic to work?
yep, it does not work at all. no matter if it was granted or not.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 16 2011, 01:02 PM) *
and if you grant him a power that needs magic to work?
yep, it does not work at all. no matter if it was granted or not.

I think the consensus there is that it's the magic score of the granter (i.e. spirit).
Yerameyahu
Again, not that it matters, because that's not a technodrake or whatever. smile.gif
Wraith235
when I played Ghost Cartels our GM Told me something about Tempo and Techno's

IIRC (Dont quote me) Tempo Did not grant astral perception to techno's, it in fact gave them a Cumulitive Temporary Resonance penalty 1 dose = 1 hour 2 dose = 2 hour ect

anyone who has that book that can elaborate on this may help
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Feb 16 2011, 12:06 PM) *

IIRC (Dont quote me) Tempo Did not grant astral perception to techno's, it in fact gave them a Cumulitive Temporary Resonance penalty 1 dose = 1 hour 2 dose = 2 hour ect

Seems to be how it is affecting our Technomancer currently...
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Feb 16 2011, 12:06 PM) *

Yeah, read that about tempo in Ghost Cartels. The reduction is also temporary... As long as you completely stop taking tempo. Resonance is reduce per hit of tempo, and lasts for as long as the high itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012