Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow's Dawn: Diving into the past- recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Sephiroth
Sorry I haven't been able to post yet everyone. I've had a bunch of large assignments and two exams to deal with this week (one of which is in 30 minutes dead.gif ), so I haven't been able to find the time to post in both games I'm in. But I am working on my post, albeit slowly, and will have it done in the next 24 hours or so.
Seth
Sorry I haven't been able to post yet everyone. I've had a bunch of large assignments and two exams to deal with this week (one of which is in 30 minutes ), so I haven't been able to find the time to post in both games I'm in. But I am working on my post, albeit slowly, and will have it done in the next 24 hours or so

Best of luck with the exams!
Aria
@Seth: in addition to my question on adept power geas I wanted to ask your opinion on two of my spell choices: clairevoyance & magic fingers. My thinking was that I would be able to look inside a maglock case and manipulate the circuits etc without having to hack the case off...seems a nice use of the spells but might be unworkable?!?

Oh, and I'm hazy as to whether or not I can use focused concentration to ignore all spell sustaining modifiers (up to magic rt) or just the mods from one spell?!?

Thanks
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 2 2011, 07:06 PM) *
Don't forget PuShEd: +1 to all logic skills

Skills:
I'd drop the cracking group, get hacking at 6, cybercombat at 4, and electronic warfare at 1..4 (your choice). I'd specialize the hacking to be "with exploit" or "with stealth", I'd specialize the cybercombat to be "against people" as the main threats (IMO) are the corporate spiders more than the IC. I'd try very hard to get the electronics group at 4, even if it mean dropping a stat.

Adept powers:
I'd get the adept power improved cybercombat, and would try to get the electronics group to 4. Not that I am hinting or anything but maybe you will be fighting some things in cybercombat. I'd also get the improved computer skill as that is your matrix perception which is very important. |The rest look good

Attributes:
I think intuition is the most important hacking attribute (it affects matrix initiative, and matrix combat is deadly). 4 is good, 5 is better

Equipment
I think I posted some advice on programs and commlink earlier.

Race:
What type of dragon are you: personally I like feathered (because it gets reactions buff) and oriental (those hands are nice).

General:
As far as combat goes, I would get the exotic ranged weapon: breath weapon. Given your magic attribute this is absolutely hideous, and probably more valuable than unarmed (which is always good as its a defensive skill as well). You might want to decide what element it is. The default "fire" isn't bad". I wouldn't worry too much about combat as you are likely to be hacking when the fighting is going on down.

Spells:
For spells have you considered physical barrier (you can hide behind it while you hack), or invisibility (so that you can hack without being attacked). The trid phantasm would be good to make an illusionary wall to hide behind.

Ok on Pushed. Will try and juggle my points around some more to sort those skills...I've dropped human bod to 2 which might come back to bite me but...hell, I'm a hacker not a fighter...

Will try and post equipment stuff today

Race, I'm a Western drake (see character sketch) as Celedyr is a Western Great. I'll have to go for fire as breath weapon for now until I have a spare 15 karma (initiation grade 5 seems more useful...)

Isn't trid phantasm a catch all illusion? I'm assuming I can use it like physical mask to give me some clothes, or the illusiory wall as you noted above...a barrier spell might be good though

Aaaaargh, need more points! smile.gif
Seth
Trid phantasm is very difficult to give you physical mask, otherwise no one would bother with physical mask. Its a "create me an illusion that looks like this spell", so it can make an illusion of a troll over your human form, but you have to move really slowly and carefully to stop your own arms and legs penetrating the illusions...etc

pbangarth
The adept power Heightened concentration works up to your Magic rating, but only affects one source. Some GMs bundle all the sustaining modifiers into one, some count each one separately. I treat them separately, but my adept Professor still gets good use out of it.
Aria
Well given the scarcity of points (sounds ridiculous I know!) I'm thinking of dropping mystic adept for adept and freeing up a bucket load of points! It means one less heal spell though so I hope there are enough in the group...and hopefully everyone in my team holding me up while I hack - I'm going down the more traditional VR route now (but with all those lovely adept skill bonuses)...
pbangarth
Heal spell? Heal spell?! We don't need no stinkin' Heal spell!
Seth
Heal spell? Heal spell?! We don't need no stinkin' Heal spell!

Ok. Noted
sabs
Speaking of which.

Seth do I know what happened to my Spell Book?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 3 2011, 11:11 AM) *
Ok. Noted

Also note that Mandala has the Heal spell.
Seth
What happened to my Spell Book

It was burnt while you were curating at the Library of Alexandria.
sabs
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 3 2011, 04:17 PM) *
It was burnt while you were curating at the Library of Alexandria.

Fucking Romans
Julius Caesar was such an ass. I'm glad I convinced Brutus to stab him repeatedly smile.gif
That makes me cry. All those pretty spells.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 3 2011, 06:54 AM) *
The adept power Heightened concentration works up to your Magic rating, but only affects one source. Some GMs bundle all the sustaining modifiers into one, some count each one separately. I treat them separately, but my adept Professor still gets good use out of it.

It's much more useful for taking care of the big penalties anyway, like trying to attack someone when in the dark, or ignoring the time penalty for Psychometry for a good chunk of time.
Aria
Here's mark 2 adept version of Ryl - I will wait until I get comments before updating the main sheet...

Seth, given my ridiculous PuSHed software skills etc are you happy for me to have a R:7 pirated Stealth program (on a commlink optimised for stealth)? Officially it's availability 28F but we are meant to be cutting edge...if not I'll just go back to the R:6 version. I've also crammed in more powers by using the optional adept rule but hopefully haven't wildly unbalanced anything?!?

I've still got nearly 10K to spend so if I've missed something obvious please let me know! Is it worth buying a cheap second commlink just to run the tacnet?!?
[ Spoiler ]
Seth
Ryl looks very nice now. You can have the stealth 7.

Let me know if you want to put your nice computer skills to the test

sabs
You want to get Biofeedback Filter ergonomic and run that bad boy all the time.
You don't need scan to be ergonomic, you seriously won't run that that often.
Biofeedback FIlter adds to your soak roll in hotvr vs ICE. You SERIOUSLY need it running.

Ol' Scratch
I don't think Aria will be using VR very often since she'll lose access to her adept powers.
Seth
I don't think Aria will be using VR very often since she'll lose access to her adept powers.

I don't know why you think that.

You cannot use things like astral perception or mystic armour on AR/VR targets, but the magic that enhances your skills will still enhance your skills. If you think I am wrong can you start a thread on the main forum (don't want to disrupt this thread with a rules discussion).
Ol' Scratch
I'm just going to keep quiet until I remember how things work again. biggrin.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 3 2011, 06:39 PM) *
Ryl looks very nice now. You can have the stealth 7.

Let me know if you want to put your nice computer skills to the test

Bring it on!
Seth
Bring it on!

Rule clarification: I use the -1 die per extra test for extended tests (that means I tend to have lower extended test targets of course), but I am happy to take that into account if you just roll the starting die in invisible castle. (I'll add this to the rule clarifications section in the first post).

Ok Mr big tough Ryl, lets flex those muscles. Lets keep this in the OOC thread until we have the results, then you can post the results IC.

• Do you want to start decrypting that message in the matrix security briefing? I think thats decrypt + electronics warfare (1 hour...who knows how many successes?).
  • Do you want to go visit sexy@lotsOfFriends.com? An extended data search (1 hour, 12 successes) will find you a node
  • Do you want to go visit the Aztechnology research facilities external matrix, or leave it to "The Thornies"?
  • Do you want to data search any of the names / matrix ids given in the security briefings?
Aria
Updated my sheet, just need to spend a bit on a drone with guns and possible an agent with an attack prog to back me up(may need to make some of my hacking progs pirated to pay for it).

I'm pleased with my sketch of Ryl's human form too, shamelessly inspired by the cover of Caprica

Will get on to those hacking rolls soon smile.gif Question about the agent...I need to run it on my commlink and it and its progs count towards my limit? Is there a problem with lowering response by 1 to do this? I've got a base matrix initiative of 18 so -1 doesn't seem that big an issue?!?
sabs
Nope, lowering your response by 1 isn't a /huge/ deal. We'll have to find a nexus in the Pyramid that we can abscond with so that you've got more breathing room. Thankfully, lowering the response does not lower the program ratings, otherwise it would rightly suck.
Seth
Nope, lowering your response by 1 isn't a /huge/ deal. We'll have to find a nexus in the Pyramid that we can abscond with so that you've got more breathing room. Thankfully, lowering the response does not lower the program ratings, otherwise it would rightly suck.

This is me asking a pretty basic rules questions. I thought all programs were restricted by your response. Is it your basic response, or is the reduced response caused by running lots of programs.
sabs
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 4 2011, 02:20 PM) *
This is me asking a pretty basic rules questions. I thought all programs were restricted by your response. Is it your basic response, or is the reduced response caused by running lots of programs.

Your programs are restricted by your SYSTEM Rating.
Your System Rating is restricted by your base response.
Because I like to quote the book:

Response
Response is the processing power and speed of the device’s hardware.
Response is used for Matrix Initiative (p. 236). Response is negatively
affected when you run too many programs.

System
System measures the power of the device’s operating system (OS)
software. This includes its stability, multitasking properties, ability to
control hardware, resources, and the general quality of its code. If the
System software ever crashes, the entire device crashes. System limits
the rating of programs running on the device
, and sets the limit on most
devices for the number of programs that can be run without a Response
drop. The System program is limited by the base Response rating of the
device it is on: if the base Response rating of the device is lower than the
System rating, then the System rating is set to equal the Response rating.
System also sets the size of the Matrix Condition Monitor of persona
programs running on the device

At every multiple of the processor limit, a device’s Response is reduced by 1.

That seems pretty clear. Now, it's a perfectly legal house rule to say that Lowering the device response, changes it's 'base' response. It certainly makes Nexii much more powerful and useful to have. So I have nothing against it, but that's definitely a house-tweak.
Seth
Thanks that explained it well
Seth
Current situation:
  • It is the start of rounds 13&14
  • The time is 00:00:50
  • The background count is zero in the reactor corridor, up the stairs and on the ground floor it is aztech 4
  • Aren is being NPCed, and has zipped ahead, and is currently lying in a bleeding crumpled pile at the bottom of the stairs to the level above the ground floor. He still has a few rounds before he will bleed out
  • The background count is Aztech 4 on the ground floor, and inside Warder's room
  • Bjeorn, Alyena and Marduk are inside room 5, facing 2 guards and Warder. Room 5 has another hideous ward on the door. Warder inside yet another magical barrier, and is monologuing
  • Ol'Scratch is being NPCed, and is performing the ritual to open door 27a. The ritual will be concluded when the flashback discovers the secret.
  • Mandala has just "dealt" with Captain Zeia
  • Fearghas is dealing with the guards in the corridor
  • Ryl is still in the basement corridor

Matrix
  • Ryl has revoked all the accounts in the internal matrix
  • The mean IC has attacked and defeated the two guards. One of them is having a very bad day with some psychotropic nastiness
  • Jonathan has arrived and is searching for Ryl. He is also trying to reboot the system
  • For some reason the reboot is not working
  • Zero is trying to recruit Jonathan
  • The Aztech tacnet is down

External
  • The General Quarters alarm has just stopped, although red flashing lights are still flashing
  • Ryl's assessment is that the guards that were off duty will still be getting their armour on / equipped for another few seconds.
  • Plan 'Blood Alpha One' has been activated and the hideous blood ward is now fully in place.

WWII
  • You have a timeline
  • You need to decide how to swap the briefcase.
  • You need to IC move on to the meeting time

Zadaine
'Lo again. embarrassed.gif Sorry about basically dropping off the face of the earth during the pre/recruitment period. I was off on vacation at the time and didn't have access to my books until mid-March...

Anyway, if you'll have me, I'd like to play a Drake Shamanic Adept. The idea is that over the years he's managed to tap into the pool of magic that lets him transform, channeling it to mimic or enhance his draconic abilities.
Seth
Hi Zadaine,

I would be delighted if you could join us. If you want to take a look at the very post in this thread, there is stuff on how to generate a character, and questions to answer. The first spoiler holds the creation rules. The second is important as it defines who you like, and who likes you,

You will of course be starting imprisoned in an Aztech pyramid, being prepared for human (?) sacrifice, but I am sure the others will rescue you (pretty much as soon as your character is ready).
Zadaine
Cool. Would you allow the use of the Mind over Matter adept power from the War! book? I'd be applying it to reaction/intuition.

Birthname: Dannrhil
Legendary Name: Dannrhil the Sentinel
Sixth World Name: Daniel Lares
Other Aliases: Demetrios, Dann, Donar
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Nationality: French
Current Residence: The Isle of Saint Margaret, France in a forested villa

Metatype: Immortal Elf
Dracoform: Western Drake
Adept Path: Shamanic Way (Dragon)

NATURAL ATTRIBUTES [240]
[ Spoiler ]
DRACOFORM ATTRIBUTES [0]
[ Spoiler ]
QUALITIES [25]
[ Spoiler ]
ACTIVE SKILLS [162 + 4 Karma]
[ Spoiler ]
MANEUVERS [18]
[ Spoiler ]
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS [0]
[ Spoiler ]
ADEPT POWERS [0]
[ Spoiler ]
METAMAGIC [0]
[ Spoiler ]
CONTACTS [2]
[ Spoiler ]
RELATIONSHIPS [0]
[ Spoiler ]
RESOURCES [3]
[ Spoiler ]

Notoriety: 1

BACKGROUND (WIP)
[ Spoiler ]
Seth
That looks like an interesting beginning. So I take it you are an elf who has acquired the ability to become a drake, rather than a member of a race created by dragons. I'd like you to think about how you did that: stealing an artefact, gift from a an ancient dragon, result of travelling to the dragon worshippers of the far east...

I am running mostly RAW, so you can take mind over matter.
Seth
Your drake looks a lot nicer now...when I first looked I don't think you had skills yet. I note you had quick release on the armour...just so you are aware, the armor vanishes when you go drake, and magically reappears when you come back.

A moment of happiness for you: You don't need to buy astral perception..you are dual natured, and killing hands is only 0.5 not 1

Few comments: feel free to ignore them...
  • Perception is a critical skill
  • Given your high magic stat, the attribute boost powers are awesome
  • Penetrating strike IMO is not a good adept power...YMMV
  • You are quite easy to hit, although you have OK armour... a few points of combat sense would help (for example trading 1 pt of astral perception, 2 points of missile parry and 2 points of penetrating strike)
  • You don't have exotic weapon (breath) which is a truly unpleasant attack.

If you are following the IC post, you may be aware that a group of bad guys on the second floor are collecting sacrifices...you are currently one of those sacrifices.
Zadaine
I thought I had perception on there.... I'll get right to that. I wasn't sure how the drake transformation worked, but that's great biggrin.gif
I will look into changing penetrating strike, especially since I've got the Elemental Strike (Blast) thing now.
Ghost_in_the_System
Hello, was looking at this a while ago and only just finally got properly registered. This stuff certainly looks interesting, but I'm not sure I know nearly enough lore to play an immortal elf or anything that's been around so long. For instance, I don't even have any clue who those big important people are (I recognize one or two of the names, but that's about it).

That aside, I was thinking a face type character as that seems to be lacking, but I'm not so sure it would fit well with the game style. Could be wrong though.
Seth
At the moment the game is pretty seriously in combat. In about a month we should be doing a flashback, that will be back in the Earthdawn time, and a face would be useful. I am expecting this scenario to finish in a few months and start a new one with the same characters: that will be a bit more political. (I wanted to practice GMing with easy stuff like combat, before doing the hard political stuff!)

As long as your face doesn't fold up and die when a mook points a pistol at him, I think that he will fit right in.

As far as background knowledge don't worry about it. Some (most) of the other players don't have that knowledge either

Ghost_in_the_System
Alrighty, I'll work up my character then. Had it half done already but lost it when my computer restarted itself (Silly notepad not auto-saving), so shouldn't take terribly long.
Seth
Now is a good time: they are about to rescue a load of prisoners. If you get the concept and name sorted you could start quickly, and fill the details in as we go.

I operate a respec system so at any time during the first month you can redo your character: this means you don't need to sweat too much getting it exactly right
Ghost_in_the_System
As we're prisoners, should we assume no gear that isn't integrated into our body?
Ghost_in_the_System
Current Aliases: Song, Lust, and Mask
Original Name: Lean'drea

Current Karma: 1
Total Karma: 20

P: 0/10
S: 0/11

Immortal Elf
Stats:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge/Language Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:(C/L)
[ Spoiler ]

Relations:
[ Spoiler ]

Tradition:
[ Spoiler ]

Magic:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Past:
[ Spoiler ]

UPDATED 6/10/11 16:07
Changed Infusion back to Reflecting since using infusion would just about kill Song thanks to her high magic.
pbangarth
Huh. Someone who gets along with the bitch. Well, I guess there have to be a few of them.
Ghost_in_the_System
It's important to know who you need to get to like you wink.gif
sabs
No accounting for Taste..
Why do we hang out with this guy.

I bet he drinks American microbrews.
Seth
Hi Ghost.

I will bring you into the game very soon! In answer to your question about equipment: you will be starting as a prisoner. Your magical equipment will be (of course) in room 27a, but your mundane equipment will probably be in some security locker somewhere.
Zadaine
I think that's everything, unless my math is wrong somewhere. Still need to fill in some descriptions and backgrounds though.
PoliteMan
Got room for one more?
Seth
We have 8 active players at the moment (7 are in the game, and 1 is about to start when they rescue him).

If you don't mind joining as a reservist that would be very good.

Aria
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jun 2 2011, 07:34 AM) *
Got room for one more?

There's always my Emerging:End of Days game if you want a free slot?!? There will be parallels and links with this game...although I haven't asked for Seth's blessing on that yet ork.gif
PoliteMan
Hmm, I want in a game (need my SR fix) but I'm still interested in this one; I haven't done too much with magic or IE/ED and I'm interested in both. I think I'll go play in the Emerging game, build a character for this one and then jump in when there's a good opportunity. I'll probably shoot you a character sheet in a day or two (we'll have plenty of time to iron out the kinks) but the basic concept is Daoist Immortal focusing on Geomancy and Detection Magic with heavy ties to Lung and the Triads.
Ghost_in_the_System
For those interested, added Song's tradition writeup. In keeping with her personality, the Bard Tradition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012