Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow's Dawn: Diving into the past- recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Edana
Some stuff still being worked out with Seth in here, but most of the sheet is done.
-----

Angel
Female Elf
Hispanic / Dark Brown Hair / Brown Eyes
1.45m / 43kg

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Stats (285)
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities (-5)
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills (108)
[ Spoiler ]

Languages & Knowledge Skills (100 Free)
[ Spoiler ]

Complex Forms (41)
[ Spoiler ]

Echoes [Submersion Grade: 5]
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts (36 Free) [C/L]
[ Spoiler ]

Relationships
[ Spoiler ]

Gear (21) [50,000 Free + 105,000]
[ Spoiler ]

Karma Log
[ Spoiler ]

Dice Pools
[ Spoiler ]
Sephiroth
Some IMO build response:

Nice echo choices, Edana. I'm not sure how much mileage you'll get out of skinlink, but YMMV of course. I would point out that E-sensing would be a really really good non-combat echo for you at such high Resonance and submersion levels.

Complex forms only at 5? I would point out that your complex forms can be really powerful with base ratings that can go up to 9. Analyze, Stealth, and Command in particular are ones I'd suggest you consider just how powerful you'd be with at ratings of 9ish.

You have neither a commlink nor Photographic Memory. Have you considered that as a technomancer you have few to no other ways to actually save and keep any programs/software/files in storage? Particularly with 'softs; if you went to the trouble of getting Biowire, how come you didn't buy any skillsofts?

You might want some non-Matrix skills, too. You're awfully oblivious and socially inept and easy to kill in meatspace at the moment.

If Seth is going with all of the optional rules for technomancers, and I got the impression that he is, you may want to take into consideration that a) you get a free +2 Defense test bonus against Attack programs, which may alleviate some of the need for your Armor just a bit, b) your Data Bombs can't be diffused except by a technomancer, c) Nuke is amazing, as you and your sprites are immune to its effects, d) some rating of Encrypt would be nice, since it creates a code that is unbreakable to normal decrypt programs, and e) your Track complex form would be immune to non-complex-form Spoof effects.

Ghost_in_the_System
Aww, I never got a blow by blow, I feel all left out now frown.gif ...... nyahnyah.gif

That said, I second alot of what you said.

My guess however would be that the plan is to have angel use biowires to make up for the lack of physical skills. Keep in mind though, that you can't thread an activesoft from thin air, you have to have an original to work from, which you currently lack and could take a while to obtain, and really, are painfully expensive now.

I highly suggest getting stealth to 9, because it is perhaps the single most useful program period. If your stealth is high enough, you can suck at hacking and still get into systems simply because they'll never be able to find you.

I'd also suggest folding your armor CF into a higher shield rating. It is significantly better to simply not get hit in the first place than to try and mitigate the damage after the fact. An extra hit from your shield could mean having no damage at all, while an extra hit from your armor only means 1 less point of damage.
Edana
Yeah, CF's higher would be nice, but Seth asked me to keep them at 5 or lower, so that's why they're that way. Otherwise I'd probably have collapsed some of the ones I have into fewer higher rated ones. At least with threading I can add +4 to any CF with no roll and no fading (using 1/4 success buy), and can always roll for more. I'm currently a little limited in not having the prep time to actually craft a widget or 3 as well, since those give some nice bonuses.

If he is using all of the 'resonance is different' rules, I'll definitely consider dropping armor down a couple points and probably drop blackout for something else.

The lack of bought gear has to do with background more than anything. I'll clearly have to pick up what I can once we're out of the pyramid, but pirated skillsofts are reasonable, so I should be ok on that front in the mid to long term. Storage-wise, I can technically pick up any electronic device and use that for storage. Worst case I get a terrible, but super cheap, commlink and slave it to the bionode, since only another techno can hack the bionode at all. With skinlink, non-wifi storage is probably safer though.
PoliteMan
Hey, here's the character I drew up as a reserve for this game. I'd appreciate any comments but there's a couple things I'd really like:
#1 I can have another skill at 6 but I'm not sure which and what to drop for the points.
#2 Just a double check on the spell list. I want this guy to have lots of magical options, not sure if the selection is 100% though.
#3 Love to find a way to pick up Artisan for shaping metal but again, not sure where to find the points.
#4 It's been recommended that I pick up filtering but I'm worried about dropping Shielding, seems like it'd leave me vulnerable to magic (I guess Guidance spirits with Magical Guard would help but...
PS: #5 Is there some kind of melt metal spell I've missed?
Also, I haven't played a mage before (part of my interest here) so if anything seems off/dumb please let me know.

Oh, and the character is based on this guy, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron-Crutch_Li

Common Alias: “Immortal” LI
Alternative Aliases: Iron Crutch Li”, “Iron Leg” Li, “Keeper of Hua Shan Mountain”, “Magneto” (darn kids)

Stats: 230 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities: 0BP
(Note, I'm not sure if we have to pay for the Magician Quality or not)
[ Spoiler ]

Skills: 134 skills+6 BP specs and Tai Chi+4 Karma Specs
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills/Languages
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Relationships: (1 BP)
[ Spoiler ]

Spells: 36 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Metamagic: (15 Karma)
[ Spoiler ]

Gear: 43 BP+ 1 Karma, 450 Nuyen left
[ Spoiler ]

Background:
[ Spoiler ]
Ghost_in_the_System
The very first thing I notice is that you have ware. Ware drops essence, and lowered essence means lowered magic scores. Looks like you've got just below 1 essence loss there, so your magic needs to be dropped to 8. Otherwise the character looks fairly solid.

Oh and, keep in mind that spellcasting and sustaining foci have particular categories (such as combat) that they work for and you need to spend 1 BP per rating to bond them to you for them to work (Don't know if you did or not because it isn't listed).

Edit: And yes, you have to pay for magician.
PoliteMan
Thanks, both the magic/ware drop and the foci have been paid for in BP.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ May 31 2011, 02:53 AM) *
Current Aliases: Song, Lust, and Mask
Original Name: Lean'drea

Current Karma: 1
Total Karma: 20

P: 0/10
S: 0/11

Immortal Elf
Stats:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge/Language Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:(C/L)
[ Spoiler ]

Relations:
[ Spoiler ]

Tradition:
[ Spoiler ]

Magic:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Past:
[ Spoiler ]

UPDATED 6/6/11 15:37
Dropped summoning to raise counterspelling to reinforce that Song uses her magic more defensively and doesn't use spirits much.

Because you asked...

General History you get as a freebie equal to your logic, which is a 3, not a 4. nyahnyah.gif
I'm a little surprised you didn't raise your Logic and Intuition to higher levels, given the incredible amount of knowledge skill points you get from them at higher ratings.
Have you considered taking the Magician's Way and/or Speaker's Way qualities from Way of the Adept? With a 9 Magic, you'd be able to get 4 adept powers from the Speaker's Way list at a 20% discount, and even though the Speaker's Way-specific adept power is rather lackluster, the Magician's Way lets you have Improved Ability (Counterspelling). COUNTERSPELLING. Think of what you could do with a 9 in Counterspelling. eek.gif Of course, it'd be better to take a small selection of powers at high ratings than take a lot of low-rating powers, to take better advantage of the discount.
Also, some of the adept powers from Spy Games might be particularly nifty for you.
Ghost_in_the_System
Yes, I actually spent one of my free points in general history. I didn't take high logic or intuition partially because she isn't particularly smart (not stupid mind). I did strongly consider improving int a bit though, but the points were hard to come by. Most likely I'd drop str down to 2 to raise it to 4, as she is fairly intuitive.

And I just got way of the adept last night, so hadn't had a chance to look at it at the time. I do very much like the though of going magician's way as counterspelling is a very big part of what she does. Was considering talking to Seth about that and possibly throwing in geas as well (A vocal one perhaps, as befitting of her tradition).

Spy games is a more recent acquisition, so haven't had a chance to fully absorb it. There are some relevant powers there though. Keratin control and master of 1000 faces in particular look really handy.

Wanted to wait till we weren't in the middle of combat and adding in new characters, since the way and spy games stuff in particular would need approval (Unless it is already given somewhere)
Seth
I don't have the Spy games book yet, so we would have to leave that on hold (with my sudden unemployment, I am rather cash conscious at the moment).

I quite like the "way of" stuff, and would be fine with you getting that. I'm also happy with a voice geas: its a genuine limitation unlike some geas's. Its not clear to me how the "way of" and the "geas" bonus's stack. Naively they would work out at 50% of list price, and I think that's too cheap. I didn't find any examples in the "way of" book that clarified this issue.

If you want to combine them, do me a favor and ask a question in the main forum about how they should stack.
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Jun 8 2011, 06:01 AM) *
I don't have the Spy games book yet, so we would have to leave that on hold (with my sudden unemployment, I am rather cash conscious at the moment).

I quite like the "way of" stuff, and would be fine with you getting that. I'm also happy with a voice geas: its a genuine limitation unlike some geas's. Its not clear to me how the "way of" and the "geas" bonus's stack. Naively they would work out at 50% of list price, and I think that's too cheap. I didn't find any examples in the "way of" book that clarified this issue.

If you want to combine them, do me a favor and ask a question in the main forum about how they should stack.

Happy to quote chunks of text from books if that would help...for things like powers in particular. I don't think the powers are overpowered, and can be replicated for cheaper with cyber/bioware as usual frown.gif
Seth
Thanks for the offer.

If there is anything you want from it, just post the relevant power description, and I will look at it.
Ghost_in_the_System
Hmm, as I was going through and working on potential changes, I realized that an incantation type geas really wouldn't work well. Many of my powers already only work when speaking anyway, so that doesn't actually present much of an additional limitation to their use. And most of the others are 'always on' type powers and having to talk/sing or something constantly seems like it would be too much for a geas. I'm also slightly unclear as to what breaking a power geas does either. Usually breaking a geas lowers magic for a time, but the entry says that it only affects that power that the geas is on, but most powers don't directly rely on an adept's magic. Am I supposed to take that to mean it disables them completely if the geas is broken?

I'm considering switching it to something like needs to spend an hour each day doing something like singing, or playing an instrument or something similar as a sort of meditation ritual. If breaking geas means the powers get locked down totally though, then Song is going to be 100% useless for this fight (though I already expect her to be at least 37% useless wink.gif)
sabs
What about:
Must Perform his Karma Ritual in the Morning.
(Of course, this might mean you currently don't have those powers? Unless mind-controlled you still performed your karma ritual?)
Ghost_in_the_System
Right, more or less what I was thinking, just that it would likely take the form of artistic expression.
Alyena
Ok, will get my pet to stunball the minions a 2nd time, then I'll try to manabolt the Major.

Pet's stunball: 4 successes

Pet's resist drain: 5 successes

My force 9 stunball on the Major: 4 successes

My resist drain: 3 successes. I take another point of stun, bringing the total to 3

Sorry, posted in wrong thread!
Sephiroth
I'm very short on time right now, and will be able to elaborate more on this and generally respond to everything later tonight, but I just wanted to quickly say two things.

QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ May 31 2011, 12:53 AM) *
Magic:
[ Spoiler ]

UPDATED 6/10/11 16:07
Changed Infusion back to Reflecting since using infusion would just about kill Song thanks to her high magic.

FWIW, I myself have gotten an awesome amount of mileage out of Extended Masking and Quickening Increase Attribute spells, even if I didn't have enough Karma to keep them from being instantly crippled by BGC to start and it took up 2 of my Initiation slots. Quickening an Increase Willpower and/or Increase Body would do wonders for resisting Infusion drain. Or you could Quicken a F6 Combat Sense, which would also be very effective.

@Seth: I was wondering what your thoughts were on permitting some of the new magic stuff that were in Ancient History's notes on the advanced magic rulebook that he and Jen Harding were working on before the Catalyst debacles. They are not technically RAW, but they're awfully close since they were going to be RAW. There are some specific things in there that I wanted to discuss, since they seem very appropriate for an ED/SR game and would work well for many (if not all) of our PC's. Like I said, I'm short on time right now, so I will post the specific things and tend to the dream stuff and whatnot when I get home.
Aria
Have you got a link for the advanced magic stuff? Sounds interesting!
Seth
@Seth: I was wondering what your thoughts were on permitting some of the new magic stuff that were in Ancient History's notes on the advanced magic rulebook that he and Jen Harding were working on before the Catalyst debacles. They are not technically RAW, but they're awfully close since they were going to be RAW. There are some specific things in there that I wanted to discuss, since they seem very appropriate for an ED/SR game and would work well for many (if not all) of our PC's. Like I said, I'm short on time right now, so I will post the specific things and tend to the dream stuff and whatnot when I get home.

I had a quick look at them some months ago. Most of them looked ok for a game like this, but a little overpowered for a grittu game. If there is anything specific you want, ask for it.
Sephiroth
Here is the link to all of Ancient History's notes on the advanced magic book. Even if an actual High Magic is still done, they'll have to do it completely different than he did now that he's gone, and that won't be for a long time (if ever).

These are the specific things that I think would catch our eyes the most (some credit goes to otakusensei on the main forums for polishing many of the metamagics):

Advanced Initiate Groups
Details: How initiate groups work. Basically, initiate groups ease magical advancement by guiding the initiate along a set path of gradual revelation, using the group's mythology and rituals to guide the initiate through the metaplanes. By understanding the group's mythos and lore, the initiate essentially already has the keys to overcome their challenges in a structured manner; i.e. their way is already paved for them by the magicians that started the group. The most advanced magicians in the group are the ones researching and experimenting with how to take the next step.
- Politics (multiple memberships, multiple initiations)
- Avatars (spirit-intermediaries of groups) and group-specific astral quests
- Benefits of Leadership (or "Why We Start Initiate Groups")
-- Teamwork
-- Sharing Resources
-- Cooperate and Graduate

Will obviously have to be fleshed out by us, but since our very group is a magical group...

Metamagics:
- Blocking
- Prerequisite: Geomancy
-- Can "lock" a site, preventing it from increasing, lowering, or altering the aspect of its background count.
-- Blocking requires Ritual Spellcasting; time is proportional to rating and requires unrestricted access to the site. This can be speeded up with Rush the Job if the character has Forcing (see above).
-- Can also "unlock" sites, which is the same test and duration.
-- Cannot "lock" or "unlock" mana lines unless the character also has Feng Shui; this takes longer and will not lock individual power sites on the mana line (i.e. those with a rating higher than the mana line's)

- Cycling [I would love to have this one, even if I have to get Anchoring first]
-- Prerequisites: Quickening, Anchoring
-- A Karma Pool method. The user can spend X Karma, where X is up to his Magic + Initiate grade, which gives him a pool that he can spend instead of Karma for anchored and quickened spells. The trick is that he gets those points back in his pool when the spell goes off (anchoring) or when the effect ends(quickened spells)
-- In the interest of making this not completely negate sustaining foci, the magician might only get the points back in his/her pool when the spell ends - i.e. when the anchored spell goes off, or the quickened/anchored spell is dispelled.
-- Needs to be checked to make sustaining foci still viable
[I personally like otakusensei's method of having the Cycling karma only usable for one quickened or anchored spell at a time]

- Diversion [Seems very appropriate for Mandala]
- Prerequisite: Reflecting
-- The magician can reflect any spell they successfully counterspell, even if they are not the intended target. The new target of the spell must be in LOS. If this is a ritual sorcery spell, the caster does not necessarily know that the spell has been diverted.
-- If there are no other valid targets, the spell can be diverted to target the magician themselves. The magician cannot then re-divert or re-counterspell the diverted spell.

- Feng Shui
-- Prerequisite: Geomancy
-- By extended and repeated use of Ritual Spellcasting over time, can actually increase the
power level of a site, create or extend a manaline between two power points which share the
same aspect
-- Each level of power requires further investment in time and participants, we're talking
months (rating 2) to years (rating 3) to decades (rating 4) or centuries (rating 5)
-- Increasing the potency of a power site on a manaline is easier, but creating a mana line is no easy task.

- Forcing
-- Postmodern magic is all about reducing magical traditions to their basic, doing away with ancient trappings and ceremonies and getting things done with the force of their will alone. Essentially, the character can cut the time required for a ritual sorcery spell dramatically - they can Rush the Job on ritual magic. They can do this repeatedly to reduce the casting time from hours down to mere minutes, but with greater chances of failure.
-- Caveats/drawbacks: Every interval reduction increases the chance of failure. All Drain from Forcing is automatically physical.
-- So normally, Rushing the job would reduce the time required by half (1 hour per Force to 30 minutes per Force) and the caster(s) would glitch on 1 and 2. If the character forced it further, it could be reduced to 15 minutes per Force and glitches would occur on 1, 2, and 3; and so on.

- Forging
-- Like with Forcing, but with enchanting; the magician forgoes the painstaking ceremonies of imbuing the power and form of the enchantment, instead working to complete the task as quickly as possible. Can use the Rush the Job rule, as above, and repeatedly.
-- Caveats/drawbacks: Every interval reduction increases the chance of failure. All Drain from Forcing is automatically physical.
-- So normally, Rushing the job would reduce the time required by half (1 hour for a fetish to 30 minutes) and the caster(s) would glitch on 1 and 2. If the character forced it further, it could be reduced to 15 minutes per fetish and glitches would occur on 1, 2, and 3; and so on.

- Life Magic
-- This is a severely restricted version of the Sacrificing metamagic; it follows the general rules for the Sacrificing metamagic but the targets can only be the caster themselves. It does not count as the prerequisite for the Invoking Blood Spirits, Cannibalize, or Power Bleed metamagics.
-- Limited version of Sacrificing that may be learned by self-initiation.

- Limited Astral Projection
-- Prerequisite: Astral Perception
[Nice for the mystic adepts who have no way to e.g. go on metaplanar quests with everyone else. Gaki ghouls already set some precedence in canon for non-magicians capable of projection.]

- Naming
-- Make an Assensing Test against an object; if successful gain its True Name and can subtract your Initiate Grade from its Object Resistance
[I like what otakusensei did with this: Magic + Assensing + Initiate Grade Extended Test (Target's Object Resistance2, 1 Complex Action), the glimpse of the True Name lasts Initiate Grade Combat Turns. All of this is up for discussion among all of us, of course.]

- Passage [seems like something Ryl might have, if you think Celedyr would be willing to teach his drakes something so similar to his secret method of traveling through solid earth]
-- Can press through astral barriers, including mana barrier spells, wards, astral constructs, and the living earth
-- Adds Initiate Grade to such tests, improves speed by (Initiate grade) meters/round (?)

- Possessing
-- Prerequisite: Astral Projection

- Retrogression *coughcoughsabscoughcough*
- Prequisite: Psychometry
-- Magician can scan for impressions of a person or place's past, going back years, decades, centuries, even millenia. Only strong emotional or magical impressions stand out, but can be used to recover an astral signature on the object that has faded.
-- Naturally faded. Cleansed/erased astral signatures remain undetectable.

- Unseeing
- Prerequisite: Masking, Extended Masking
-- Can mask a number of individuals equal to (Magic + Initiate grade) within LOS (including up to Magic + Initiate grade foci per individual).
-- Piercing the mask on one individual in the group allows the assensing magician to see the true auras of the entire group.

Of particular application to Alyena:
3) Advanced Astral combat
- Blindfighting and the Astral
-- All the questions we never really wanted to ask
- Size modifiers (ref. Arsenal) - Astral forms are idealized, but approximate to the character's physical body, or in the case of spirits roughly metahuman in size (no modifiers). Cases of extreme ego can cause astral forms to be significantly larger than the physical body (negative quality), whereas awareness and denial of self can cause a relative reduction in the size of the astral form.

- Astral combat vs. foci
-- Based mostly on the Disrupt Focus spell

- astral martial arts

-- Equivoque
--- Modern European tradition, focuses on the use of weapon foci against manifest spirits, astral forms, and mana barriers

-- Exorcism
--- Derived from multiple religious traditions, focuses on combating spirits and Attacks of Will

-- Lin kon ji
--- Tibetan meditative art adapted for astral combat; increases astral reach, defense

-- Mahojutsu
--- Specialization of unarmed techniques for delivering touch spells, adept abilities like Nerve Strike and Disruptive strike

-- Parascientific Boxing
--- "Psychic" discipline; increases DV of astral attacks, Attacks of Will

-- Testa di Fantasma
--- Derivation of an Eritrean head-butting combat art, known for its "dirty tricks"

New Maneuvers:
- Attenuation
-- The character is never treated as "Defender Unaware of Attack" on the Astral

- Aura Rend
-- When using a weapon focus or unarmed attack that deals physical damage in astral combat, can severely damage the target's perception of self; the attacker may choose to temporarily lower the target's Charisma (and derived attributes) by 1. Lost Charisma returns after 1 minute.

- Ego Negation
-- By taking a simple action, a spirit or astrally projecting character can reduce their astral form to a small target.

- Mantra
-- Dice penalties to sustain spells or adept powers are reduced by 1.
-- So a -1 penalty to sustain one spell, -3 penalty to sustain two, etc.

- Refraction
-- If you successfully parry an astral attack, you can instead choose for the attacker to be subject to a held touch-based adept power such as Nerve Strike or Disruptive Strike. The net hits are equal to the attribute points the attacker loses.

Applicable for all summoners and Mandala:
5) Advanced Conjuring

- Advanced Banishing
-- By performing a ritual banishing, can keep a disrupted spirit that has retreated to the metaplanes to refresh itself/heal/etc. from returning for one period (28 days); a successful ritual banishing adds 4 to the threshold of the astral quest to retrieve the spirit
-- Extended Banishing + Magic (Force, 1 day) test, need (Force) binding materials, foci apply.

- Permanent Banishing for Free Spirits using True Name
-- Ramifications for PC Free Spirits
-- All natural copies of spirit formula dissapear, leaving only recorded copies
-- /Can/ be undone only if someone is stupid enough to go retrieve the free spirit from the metaplanes, which is much harder, and impossible without a copy of their spirit formula

- Rebinding/summoning the same spirit
-- The magician has a specific spirit (or group of related spirits) which act like a contact (Force rating, Loyalty rating) that s/he summons repeatedly and develops a working relationship with. The upshot is that the spirit will remember previous encounters, can take more complicated orders, and can be substantially more loyal if treated well. The downside is 1) it can get more powerful from repeated summoning, making it harder to summon/bind and 2) it remembers past summonings and can become /disloyal/ if you do things that really piss it off.
-- Costs are equivalent to those for a contact. Spirit can be of a different type than the magician can normally summon.

Applicable to all, especially if people start getting targeted by big ritual casters or the IE PC's get caught in a chal'han:
6) Advanced Sorcery
- Reverse Ritual Magic
-- If you're targeted by ritual magic, you can use the link to track the sending or send your own ritual spell back down the link to disrupt it. Since there is no indication of how long the ritual is, your own casting is probably going to be fast and furious
-- Alternately: you can use a bonded focus or a properly prepared link object to set up a reverse ritual in advance - i.e. instead of taking a chunk out of a building to blow it up, you mail them a lock of your hair, then cast a ritual fireball that'll destroy the link object and damage the surroundings.
--- Could be munchy

The most applicable Adept powers for us:
New Adept Powers:
- Alchemist's Gift
-- Prerequisites: Improved Sense (Smell, Taste)
-- The character can tell if a given substance is a magical compound, refined or radical reagent, or Awakened drug with only the slightest smell or taste - insufficient to trigger the magical compound, but concentrated Awakened drugs or toxic reagents may affect the target. A Magic + Intuition Test successfully identifies the substance if the character has come across it before. +2 postive modifier to Assaying Tests.

- Enhanced Melanin Control
- Prerequisite: Melanin Control
-- The adept can alter their hair/skin color within the limits of metahumanity's natural variety of colors - from the pale green of hobgoblins to the blue of Night Ones to the cethereal of certain elves. In addition to a greater palette to draw from, the adept can limit the alteration to certain parts of their body in order to mimic birth marks or conditions like virago. (Requires Disguise Skill for successful deception)

- Improved Mystical Healing
-- Prerequisite: Empathic Healing
-- Adept can use empathic healing to speed up the natural healing process in others. Each level of this power adds 1 die to the character's pool for Mystical Healing tests /and/ raises the cap on net hits on the test by 1.

- Improved Senses
-- Clarification on the Adept power, in addition to new options
--- Depth sense (how high above/below the surface you are), perfect depth vision (equivalent to range finder)
--- Perfect time
--- Body Awareness (immediately aware of the extant of injuries, even when pain is blocked)
--- Electroreception
--- Magnetoreception
--- Aura awareness (immediately aware if an astral form passes through their aura)

- Mind Trap
-- Causes psychic backlash (Willpower/round) for attempted telepathic contact (mind probe, etc.) and mental manipulations
-- Can be used reflexively
-- Requires concentration (2 dice negative modifier) to maintain
--- Dream Trap
--- Prerequisite: Mind Trap
---- Power is on constantly, even when asleep, with no modifier to maintain
---- Can be turned off selectively

- Mystic Weapon
- Prerequisite: Killing Hands (?)
-- Any melee weapon the adept wields is counted as a magic weapon for purposes of overcoming Immunity to Normal Weapons

- Nemesis
- Prerequisite: Combat Sense
-- The character can choose to focus all their precognitive awareness on a single opponent; while so focused they do not receive their normal Combat Sense bonuses. For that opponent and that opponent only, they bonus is doubled; for everyone else a negative modifier equivalent to the bonus applies.
-- The individual the target is focused on can be changed with a free action.

- [Sense] Communication
- Prerequisite: Improved Sense (Hearing, Smell, or Thermographic Vision)
-- The adept can subtly communicate with someone else with extraordinary senses; this communication is often somewhat limited but difficult or impossible to detect without augmentation or magical assistance.
-- High/Low-Frequency Communication [Improved Sense (Hearing)] - the adept can communication at frequencies outside the normal range of metahuman hearing
-- Scent Communication [Improved Sense (Smell)] - the adept can release specific pheromone scent combinations, indistinguishable from regular body odor to the average nose; these scents are limited in range and meaning (generally, the scents can clearly mark property, health, and emotion), though canny adepts can develop scent-based codes. Pheromones can be used to mark individuals, places, and objects, but requires 'painting' the target with a bodily product (sweat, saliva, urine, feces, etc.)
-- Thermographic Communication [Improved Sense (Thermographic Vision)] - the adept can control the bloodflow in their face, to change the pattern of heat seen by others with thermographic vision. This can be developed as a code, or used to increase difficulties when others with thermographic vision attempt to judge the character's intentions.

- Shadowed Aura (leveled; limit 4?)
-- The character's aura dims and melds with the shadows cast by material objects on the astral. Every level adds 1 to the threshold to perceive the adept's aura on the Astral. This stacks with the results of a successful Stealth test.

- Unerring Step [maybe?]
-- Prerequisite: Traceless Walk, Wall Running
-- The adept can hover indefinitely, slightly above any surface. This allows them to walk, run, crawl, or sprint over any surface, even dangerous, volatile, and non-solid surfaces, and in any direction. The character could, for example, sprint up a waterfall against the force of gravity, or across the top of an open container of molten iron without sinking.
-- Does not protect them from environmental dangers, i.e. the heat of the lava
-- Penalties apply based on how turbulent the surface is.
-- On a glitch, they trip and fall

For obvious reasons:
cool.gif Advanced Astral Quests

- Inner Quest [OH HEY, this seems eerily familiar... I guess great minds think alike]
-- Adepts only; astral projection not required.
-- The character takes the equivalent of an astral quest, except instead of looking for information outside themselves attempts to plumb the depths of their own being, searching for inspiration.
-- Can be used to discover knowledge of metamagic techniques, adept powers, spell and foci formulae, and intiatory ordeals.
-- Unique use: Can be used as a form of introspection, to retrieve forgotten (but not destroyed) memories and sensory impressions in exact detail; to become aware of internal physical status (and damage, as well as cancer or poison)
-- Unique use: An inner quest can unlock certain exceptional abilities of the adept's body; they gain the potential to buy the Adrenaline Surge, Ambidextrous, Analytical Mind, Double Jointed, Exceptional Attribute, Hawkeye, Lightning Reflexes, Perceptive, Perfect Time, Photographic Memory, Quick Healer, Resistance to Pathogens/Poisons, Speed Reading, Tough as Nails, Toughness, and Will to Live. The character pays a number of Karma equal to (2 x BP cost of the quality). Each subsequent inner quest increases in difficulty. The character may not buy a quality they already have, unless it is available in levels, and then may only buy it up to the maximum number of levels.
--- The availability of this quality would help ease the need to "front load" qualities at chargen, and allow older characters to pick up qualities they might have "missed." Also provides "minor powers" for low-level adepts and games, giving players an alternative to expand their characters without seeking higher and higher levels of initiation.

- Metaplanar Lodge [best for Mandala, but useful for everyone]
-- Characters can engage in an astral quest to create a metaplanar magical lodge on a fractal metaplane, a secret place of power and safety in the metaplanes where they can create copies of their magical formulae, metamagical theses, and non-magical writings and creative works. After the initial astral quest to create the metaplanar lodge, the character can visit it any time in the future by undertaking another astral quest. A character can dictate or use automatic writing to transfer the information in the lodge back to the physical plane.
-- Characters can create multiple metaplanar lodges, but must spend some time in them each month or they collapse
-- The initial difficulty of the quest represents how well it is hidden; characters who are aware of the metaplanar lodge's existence must meet this rating to find and travel to it. Characters who receive instruction from another on how to get there get +4 dice positive modifier.
-- Some intitiatory groups have "group" lodges where they maintain their most secret writings, and is where they meet in the astral to engage in their deepest instruction.
-- Can protect a metaplanar lodge by stationing a spirit there

As far as gear goes, I will purposely leave out chakraware unless sabs or anyone else who's seen this stuff before know of a way to make them not OP.
- Orichalcum bone gilding
-- Bone lacing upgrade; hideously expensive, moderately invasive
-- Weaves a very fine enchanted orichalcum chain into pre-etched grooves in the character's bone lacing
-- Unarmed attacks count as magical weapons for purpose of overcoming Immunity to Normal Weapons

Manatech
- FAB Netgun
-- Does /not/ trap astral forms. Rather, the forced passage of an astral form (the target) through a weak astral barrier (the FAB net) is designed to disrupt the astral form and send it back to its meat body (it also kills all the FAB in the net). So on a successful attack, the victim is treated as having run into an astral barrier; even if the target doesn't pass out, it still kills the FAB.

- FAB Torc [more for you than us, Seth]
-- Not properly a restraint, the FAB torc is basically an insulin pump that circulates a FAB colony in the character's blood stream. While this colony is active, any attempts to astrally perceive or project are the mental equivalent of trying to teleport into a rock wall (or, mechanically speaking, hitting an astral barrier at full speed). This is usually sufficient to knock the character out.
-- As FAB is essentially a minor infection, it doesn't last long - without the torc continuing to supply fresh FAB, your average immune system would burn through it in about an hour.

- MageAid Software Package
- Suite of unrated programs no mage should be without
-- FetishTracker - keeps track of your fetishes and where they are using tags
-- Dictaphone/virtual stylus - automatic writing/talk-to-text for Catalog spells and Metaplanar lodges
-- Mapsoft editor - ease recording data gained from Spatial Sense spells
-- Wardshaper - finds the best basic geometric shape to ward the room, maps out possibilities in terms of area and visible surfaces
-- VirtualTarot - Never be without a divination tool
-- SmartSpell plugin for use with smartlink; used for targeting Indirect Combat spells, calculating area of effect

Dream post is being worked on. Tomorrow's my day off, so I'd like to write up something nice. This seems like a good opportunity with the Horror and the torture chamber and whatnot.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Seth @ Jun 23 2011, 11:03 PM) *
I had a quick look at them some months ago. Most of them looked ok for a game like this, but a little overpowered for a grittu game. If there is anything specific you want, ask for it.

I posted the above for everyone's benefit.

I myself would be interested in Cycling, Reverse ritual magic (when Fearghas remembers how to ritual spellcast again), Limited Astral Projection (more for metaplanar access than anything else), Naming, possibly Nemesis, and the MageAid software myself. Not all at once, obviously.
e-do
Hi peeps,

Hope everyone is doing well.

After some discussions with Seth, I'm submitting my reservist character for yall's impression. I haven't dome this in quite some time, so whatever errors you rules lawyers can point to will be highly appreciated.

Seth—I had to do away with the 35 BP rule for negative qualities to accommodate the cyberzombie-esque mimicry. Is that legit? If not, maybe you guys can help me find a different solution?

The general concept: During the 4th Age, was a Knight of the Thistle (Queen Alachia’s cover ops. outfit). Lived through the Scourge inside of Blood Wood. Spent his time in the 5th Age running various nefarious errands for Alachia. In the 6th Age, became a member of the Black Daggers (Tir Tairngire cover ops. outfit) to serve as Alachia’s eyes and ears on the ground. As such, he was sent to do some recon before you guys got sent in, but was intercepted by a bad-ass Azzie blood magician that burned his body to a crisp. Near death, the Azzies thought it might be nice to experiment on him with some intense cyber redecorating and send him back to assassinate Allachia. The procedure, which involved quite a bit of blood magic itself, stripped him of all of his previous adept powers and had some nasty cyberzombie-esque consequences.

Huzzah!

Name: Borris Talshakovsky, aka "Rook"

Metatype: Homo Sapiens Nobilis

Height: 1.8m

Weight: Unknown

Hair Color: Red

Eye Color: Green

Nationality: Uknown.

>>>>>(Rumor has it that this Russian guy is one bad motherfragger. Sightings have placed him in Tir Tairngire, Tir na nOg, Azania, and for some reason--the Ukraine. Apparently, he's supposed to be some uber-hot Adept that has a close connection to to the Council of Princes. Anybody got something on him?)
-FastJack (16:28:14/12-11-71)

> (Well-disciplined poodle. Likes to read Dostoyevsky and play Chess. Suffers from a severe aversion to roses.)
-The Laughing Man (18:18:01/12-11-71)

> (Poshol ti nahoo, kloun!)
-Rook (18:19:23/12-11-71)

Qualities

[ Spoiler ]

Attributes

[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills

[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge and Language Skills

[ Spoiler ]

Cyberware, Bioware and Nanoware

[ Spoiler ]

Weapons and Armor

[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
Oh, this should be fun! Borris and Mandala will get along really well. If Mandala had any illusions about how important he is to Alachia, he would think Borris had been placed by that bitch just to annoy him.

To get more metamagics than his one Initiation, are you using an optional rule? An adept thing maybe?

<<REDACTED>> ?? That bitch!
Seth
<<REDACTED>> ?? That bitch!

Very nicely put: both of you

By the way most of you have met this guy: one of Alachia's smooth Paladins. Mandala, this guy turned up in the middle of your summoning session with Alachia about a week ago. He's one of those ultra initiated physical adepts that moves like death. He was courteous and polite, but you were a little nervous in his company: that sword looked like it was designed to deal with you.

Comments
  • If your happy Boris, we will add the fact that you are in line of succession to be in charge of her personal security detail. You are on occasion delegated with this task (for example when she visits a foreign country, you will get some of the minor visits to deal with). You are one of her most trusted Paladins.
  • I'd not worry about the armor and gun, you won't be starting with it, and as a trusted Paladin you will be issued with any equipment you need. The benefits if being a slave trusted retainer.
  • Your very nice blade Magical Thorn will be room 27a with Marduk
  • I think you should invest in a point or two of intimidation. I suspect that you will be around -3 on social die in many circumstances (unless you can get a spell to mask your looks), but you can have that as a bonus on your intimidation.
  • While running Major Pain I found the Trauma Damper to be tremendously useful: in works well with the Platelets factory and Pain Editor.
  • Abort! Abort! Abort! You have no perceptions skill (only kidding but perception is one of the most rolled on skills, and its one of those skills where the more the better)
  • One thing you probably want to do is get the skill "Cybertech". This will work the same way that First aid works on other people. A toolkit = medikit 2, shop = medikit 4, facility = medikit 6. First aid will work as well, but the threshold will be 4 instead of 2
  • You have a load of Restricted Access qualities. I'm happy with this background for you to only need it for equipment over 16.
  • On the topic of skills, this game allows you to start with two skills at 6 if you wish
  • I'd be seriously thinking of getting some Geneware. Reakt for instance gives you 2 defensive die in many situations
  • Do you remember that moment in Matrix when Neo asks trinity: can you fly that, and she answers "Not yet". Skill wires are so good, especially when you work for an organisation and can just requisition them.

By the way, I loved the quotes.
e-do
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 9 2011, 01:29 AM) *
Very nicely put: both of you

By the way most of you have met this guy: one of Alachia's smooth Paladins. Mandala, this guy turned up in the middle of your summoning session with Alachia about a week ago. He's one of those ultra initiated physical adepts that moves like death. He was courteous and polite, but you were a little nervous in his company: that sword looked like it was designed to deal with you.

Comments
  • If your happy Boris, we will add the fact that you are in line of succession to be in charge of her personal security detail. You are on occasion delegated with this task (for example when she visits a foreign country, you will get some of the minor visits to deal with). You are one of her most trusted Paladins.
  • I'd not worry about the armor and gun, you won't be starting with it, and as a trusted Paladin you will be issued with any equipment you need. The benefits if being a slave trusted retainer.
  • Your very nice blade Magical Thorn will be room 27a with Marduk
  • I think you should invest in a point or two of intimidation. I suspect that you will be around -3 on social die in many circumstances (unless you can get a spell to mask your looks), but you can have that as a bonus on your intimidation.
  • While running Major Pain I found the Trauma Damper to be tremendously useful: in works well with the Platelets factory and Pain Editor.
  • Abort! Abort! Abort! You have no perceptions skill (only kidding but perception is one of the most rolled on skills, and its one of those skills where the more the better)
  • One thing you probably want to do is get the skill "Cybertech". This will work the same way that First aid works on other people. A toolkit = medikit 2, shop = medikit 4, facility = medikit 6. First aid will work as well, but the threshold will be 4 instead of 2
  • You have a load of Restricted Access qualities. I'm happy with this background for you to only need it for equipment over 16.
  • On the topic of skills, this game allows you to start with two skills at 6 if you wish
  • I'd be seriously thinking of getting some Geneware. Reakt for instance gives you 2 defensive die in many situations
  • Do you remember that moment in Matrix when Neo asks trinity: can you fly that, and she answers "Not yet". Skill wires are so good, especially when you work for an organisation and can just requisition them.

By the way, I loved the quotes.

Mandala--correct! just noticed you could only learn metamagic techniques up to your Magic+Initiation grade, which would put Boris at 2.

Seth--taking into account the comments above, you think I can swap those redundant 2 metamagic techniques for some more BP to accommodate the changes you're suggesting?

Regarding the extra deltaware, I was indeed eyeing all three Skillwires, Trauma Damper, and Reakt, but simply ran out of money and essence. I'll play around with the extra capacity points he's got left in his cyberlimbs, use the extra money from forgoing the armor and gun, and see what I can come up with.
Seth
Seth--taking into account the comments above, you think I can swap those redundant 2 metamagic techniques for some more BP to accommodate the changes you're suggesting?

In the character rules it says that your start with magic 7, and are a fourth level initiate. If you knock off 5 points for essence loss this reduces you to a second grade initiate, with magic 2. This allows you to have 4 metamagics...so you are sorted

Don't forget you get some points back as you probably don't need as many levels of restricted gear (see comments above).

You can always respec in the first month, so you don't have to get it perfect in order to start play.
e-do
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 9 2011, 06:17 AM) *
In the character rules it says that your start with magic 7, and are a fourth level initiate. If you knock off 5 points for essence loss this reduces you to a second grade initiate, with magic 2. This allows you to have 4 metamagics...so you are sorted

Don't forget you get some points back as you probably don't need as many levels of restricted gear (see comments above).

You can always respec in the first month, so you don't have to get it perfect in order to start play.

Yes, but as per the Astral Sight quality, his Magic attribute is maxed out at 1 and can not be improved (at all). Meaning, his initiate grade is capped out at 1, and his metamagic techniques are capped out at 2. In addition, he can only use Astral Perception and the skills that go with it (i.e, Assessing and Astral Combat), and use weapon foci (that would only be helpful in Astral Combat--no bonus for physical melee)--period.

Regarding the respec, I'll have to write-up another character sheet for his adept version.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 9 2011, 06:17 AM) *

Oh yeah. Have we gone over the time limit, those of us currently playing?
e-do
QUOTE (e-do @ Jul 9 2011, 07:13 AM) *
Yes, but as per the Astral Sight quality, his Magic attribute is maxed out at 1 and can not be improved (at all). Meaning, his initiate grade is capped out at 1, and his metamagic techniques are capped out at 2. In addition, he can only use Astral Perception and the skills that go with it (i.e, Assessing and Astral Combat), and use weapon foci (that would only be helpful in Astral Combat--no bonus for physical melee)--period.

Regarding the respec, I'll have to write-up another character sheet for his adept version.

Tried to figure this out myself, but got kind of confused.

The beginning of the thread reads that starting Magic is 7. In addition, you start off as a Grade 4 Initiate. Moreover, you also start with Masking, plus 3 other techniques that you can exchange for 1 Magic each. In effect, does this mean that:

Option A: The four metamagic techniques are the ones you gained during your initiations.

OR

Option B: The four metamagic technique are in *addition* to the ones gained in your initiations, meaning, you can potentially start off the game with Masking, plus 6 other metamagic techniques?
Seth
The 4 metamagics are the ones you got during your initiations. In your case I'm not worried you can keep the four (you were initiated, its just that your magic got trashed by the cybermantic rituals.
PoliteMan
Updated my character,

-Switched out Geomancy for Filtering.
-Switched out Cure Disease for Decrease Reflexes.
-Some general cleanup.
e-do
Updated character sheet for cybered version,

-- Moved some bodyware around
-- Put some more bodyware in as per previous comments
-- Edited skills
-- Got rid of equipment save for weapons focus

Pre-cybered version to follow soon.
Sephiroth
Ugh. I am so goddamn slow.

After feeling like Fearghas's performance in his Swordmaster-esque role has been disappointingly subpar (especially after that horrible debacle with the ward...), I present the slightly restatted and final version of Fearghas, with most of the things that have been missing included. I extend my personal gratitude to Seth for giving me permission to do this and for putting up with my nonsense for so long. Contacts and relationships will be added in the next few days, partly because I want to do a decent job with it (kind of like Ol' Scratch with Ambrose), and partly because Fearghas's relationships with Harlequin and Alachia are... complicated.

Seth, please let me know if there's anything you want me to elaborate on in my background so as to give you more to work with.

Names: Fearghas of Iopos, Fearghas of the Denairastas Clan, Fearghas the Sky Rider, Henning von Tresckow, Gaston Ferg, Harrison Dublear, Me'raearth Fearghas, Fig Tree, many others
Metatype: Dragonkin Elf, commonly referred to as Immortal Elf
Mystic Adept
Starting Nuyen: 19 + 5 from chargen = 24 x 1000 = 24,000 nuyen.gif

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes:
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Languages:
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Martial Arts:
Carromeleg (+1 on Surprise attacks)
-Finishing Move, Watchful Guard

Magic:
[ Spoiler ]

Bio/Geneware:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Lifestyle:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts & Relationships:
[ Spoiler ]

Quickened Spells:
[ Spoiler ]
Seth
One reason I like shadowrun is that you can take ages designing a character. Despite all the broken builds and discussions on the main forum, there are hard choices making characters, and they take time. (Mind you one of the reasons I like fudge is that it takes almost no time to make a character, and you get nearly as good results...)

Minor house keeping: can you just mark on the sheet what type of magic those sustaining foci are for?

At this stage in the scenario I am fine without more background. I am planning on running a second scenario, and I will try and craft some of your background into it.

You have probably agonized over this, but I would get some more reaction. Personally I would drop the quality 'increased willpower' getting IIRC 20 points back + 10 pts for the willpower, and put those points into more reaction. Not getting hit is where it is at for you. The combat reflexes looks good. If you can squeeze it in, Reakt would make a big difference: its very cheap for the extra two die defense.
PoliteMan
Well, I've written up a rough draft of Li in the past, very Kung Fu heavy. Got 10 BP left over, plus plenty of Cash, can't figure out what to spend it on. I'm, I guess more Martial Arts.

Past Li
AKA "Wandering Li", "Righteous Storm"
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012