Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weakness - Vanishing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fionnoulla
Under Pixie in RC pg. 84 there is a weakness Vanishing.

I am unable to find a description of what this weakness does. Could anyone point me in the right direction. (I may have been staring at the books too long and missed it)
sabs
When a Windling dies, it's body vanishes.
Fionnoulla
QUOTE (sabs @ Mar 29 2011, 02:22 PM) *
When a Windling dies, it's body vanishes.

Which book should I be looking in to read about that?
Yerameyahu
It's in Running Wild, I believe. It's not important; you vanish. If you're dead, who cares?
Fionnoulla
True, thanks all
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 29 2011, 06:30 PM) *
It's in Running Wild, I believe. It's not important; you vanish. If you're dead, who cares?

Scientists who would like to make an authopsy on a pixie's body to see how it works?
A pixie-obssessed-necrofiliac pervert?
A poacher? silly.gif
Yerameyahu
Nope, bleh, and nope. (1 and 3 can use the live pixies.)
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 29 2011, 04:54 PM) *
A poacher? silly.gif

Hey, there's good money for their cold, dead hands in Quebec!
BishopMcQ
Runner's Companion has the entry listed on page 85, opposite the page 84 reference for Pixies.

Note that the weakness is different from the one in Running Wild. (Which is on page 215-216 as a Paranormal power)
KarmaInferno
There is a reason why my pixie shields herself behind layers of armor, vehicle armor, more armor, and then some more armor as much as she can. Just vanishing into nothingness terrifies her.

I'm waiting for some GM to ask me, "How many vehicles do you have inside other vehicles?"

-k
redwulf25
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 29 2011, 05:30 PM) *

Your friend the medic who would try to use the shock paddles to revive you if you weren't playing a pixie?
CanRay
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 29 2011, 05:59 PM) *
There is a reason why my pixie shields herself behind layers of armor, vehicle armor, more armor, and then some more armor as much as she can. Just vanishing into nothingness terrifies her.

I'm waiting for some GM to ask me, "How many vehicles do you have inside other vehicles?"
-k

How many vehicles do you have inside other vehicles?

Also, does your Pixie have a pink mohawk?
ShadowWalker
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 29 2011, 06:59 PM) *

-k

So a Russian Nesting Doll with Vehicles, drones and drone racks?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 29 2011, 07:51 PM) *
How many vehicles do you have inside other vehicles?

Also, does your Pixie have a pink mohawk?

Yes. Yes she does.

Seriously.

grinbig.gif

And I played Elevator Ride before the official release, I had no idea that artwork was in there! I am so using that image.

QUOTE (ShadowWalker @ Mar 29 2011, 07:57 PM) *
So a Russian Nesting Doll with Vehicles, drones and drone racks?

Pretty much. Though not all the time, that would be annoying even to me.

I think the most layers so far has been: Wearing body armor, inside a drone, inside a Horseman PMV, inside a van, inside a cargo aircraft.

-k
CanRay
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 29 2011, 07:21 PM) *
And I played Elevator Ride before the official release, I had no idea that artwork was in there! I am so using that image.

I think the most layers so far has been: Wearing body armor, inside a drone, inside a Horseman PMV, inside a van, inside a cargo aircraft.
-k

You're very welcome!

She's like a very dangerous Turducken! The on Sarge tried to make on Red vs. Blue.
jaellot
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 29 2011, 05:54 PM) *
A pixie-obssessed-necrofiliac pervert?

Couldn't you just whack off while imaging a butterfly with boobs? That'd count, right?
Raven the Trickster
More like a dragonfly from both my own impressions and the art. Certainly my pixie npc has dragonfly wings, not butterfly.
Yerameyahu
Screw the art, there's this: "Pixies are small humanoids resembling miniature elves that are approximately 45 centimeters tall with two pairs of iridescent wings—like a dragonfly’s—emerging from their back."
CanRay
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Mar 29 2011, 10:08 PM) *
More like a dragonfly from both my own impressions and the art. Certainly my pixie npc has dragonfly wings, not butterfly.

Bullet with dragonfly wings?
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (redwulf25 @ Mar 30 2011, 01:37 AM) *
Your friend the medic who would try to use the shock paddles to revive you if you weren't playing a pixie?
Not really a problem game-wise. You can't revive anyone. You can stabilize and heal someone as long as he is dying (i.e. in overflow). Once theat person is dead, this is no longer possible. Only then does the pixie vanish.
Xahn Borealis
I always assumed, due to the wording "When a critter WOULD die from any cause.." [emphasis mine] that any time the pixie was in some sort of fatal situation, regardless of whether they'd taken damage or not, they would vanish. That's why I thought it said, "the critter itself seems powerless to remain". Otherwise, it's not much of a weakness.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 30 2011, 12:02 PM) *
I always assumed, due to the wording "When a critter WOULD die from any cause.." [emphasis mine] that any time the pixie was in some sort of fatal situation, regardless of whether they'd taken damage or not, they would vanish. That's why I thought it said, "the critter itself seems powerless to remain". Otherwise, it's not much of a weakness.

is the critter a juggernaught or a devil rat?
a devil rat dies when a troll sneezes in it's general direction.
Xahn Borealis
Well, only pixies have the Vanish Weakness...
Brazilian_Shinobi
I don't know Stahlseele, devil rats can be preety tough.
Sesix
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 29 2011, 11:00 PM) *
Bullet with dragonfly wings?

Despite all your rage?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 30 2011, 01:36 PM) *
I don't know Stahlseele, devil rats can be preety tough.

Only the Vehicle ^^
They lost much of their dangerous state when SR4 dropped the one in 12 infects you with VITAS . .
James McMurray
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 30 2011, 05:02 AM) *

Even if that's what it means, it's still the same thing. If something kills you then you disappear instead. If it wouldn't have killed you then you stay right where you are. It's still not much of a weakness. It sounds more like a plot hook for when the pixie burns edge to survive.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Mar 30 2011, 03:41 PM) *
If something kills you then you disappear instead. If it wouldn't have killed you then you stay right where you are.

I interpreted it as making you Vanish whether you die or not, as though by Vanishing you escape death. It could well be a plot hook for a metaplanar quest.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 29 2011, 11:59 PM) *

-k

That isn't the right question to ask.

The right question should be: "How many vehicles can you have inside other vehicles?"

Preferably uttered with disdain, or outright disbelief.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Mar 30 2011, 04:09 PM) *
"How many vehicles can you have inside other vehicles?"

How many will fit?
Stahlseele
Depends on the size of the outmost vehicle.
Even today we have battleships in which there is one hovercraft transporter which can in itself carry one or two APC's each of which can hold one Motorcycle at least.
And don't get me started on Aircraft Carriers.
redwulf25
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 30 2011, 02:18 AM) *
Not really a problem game-wise. You can't revive anyone. You can stabilize and heal someone as long as he is dying (i.e. in overflow). Once theat person is dead, this is no longer possible. Only then does the pixie vanish.

I'd think of shock paddles as a last ditch attempt to stabilize a character, so I guess the interpretation I'm taking away is you can't stabilize a pixie.
CanRay
Well, all I have to say is, where does the Pixie shop for boots?

*Sings "Fairies Wear Boots" in the key of off*
Stahlseele
in the toy section
Dakka Dakka
I don't know, maybe there are enough pixies that some of them have learned boot making and opther essential trades as well.

BTW how many pixies are there?

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 30 2011, 06:05 PM) *
*Sings "Fairies Wear Boots" in the key of off*
Just be careful that the jarhead next to you does not drown you out with "Iron Man" wink.gif
Stahlseele
Nobody knows, but if i were to guess, i'd have to say less than 10k
KarmaInferno
Small enough of a population that probably like 90% of them have records somewhere.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 30 2011, 12:08 PM) *
in the toy section

1/4 scale doll accessories are about the perfect size for pixies.

I may or may not have done research on the subject. <.<

-k
Stahlseele
Records?
90% of the world does not even see them as sentient enough to have basic human rights or am i mistaken here?
Certainly, 90% of them are not going to be living in any human enclave, but in one of their own little habitats within the woods/mountains

You have weird hobbies *snickers* ^^
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 30 2011, 06:56 PM) *
1/4 scale doll accessories are about the perfect size for pixies.

I may or may not have done research on the subject. <.<

You're not the only one, look at the FAQ.

Can pixies really wield guns and stuff as big as they are?
a little bit of practical research with a similarly sized doll suggests that anything bigger than a knife or hold-out pistol is unwieldy.
Dakka Dakka
And still they get no reach penalty and no damage reduction for weapon stats. wacko.gif

While the above answer from the FAQ is not wrong, it has nothing to do with the rules. More importantly it does not address what happens if the pixie buys or creates a pixie-sized weapon like a Nodachi the size of a letter opener or the infamous monowhip.
Stahlseele
Well, the monowhip i can understand . . anything else?
not so much . .
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 30 2011, 09:19 PM) *
Well, the monowhip i can understand . . anything else?
not so much . .
I never said that I would give the Pixie Nodachi STR/2+4 AP -2 Reach 2 in my games, it is just neither the rules nor the FAQ address this problem.
Stahlseele
Well, you'd get into Problems with Trolls, Centaurs and Dwarves too . . this is a really <size modifier> can of worms to open up . .
Dakka Dakka
yup. .50 AE would look tiny in the hands of a troll, especially if the grip is adjusted for the user. In melee they get the reach bonus at least, which makes their weapons better.
CanRay
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 30 2011, 11:43 AM) *
BTW how many pixies are there?

Apparently enough that piercing parlors cater to them with custom jewelry. *Points to picture above* nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
There are size penalty rules in Arsenal; it suggests even for dwarves.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 30 2011, 10:07 PM) *
There are size penalty rules in Arsenal; it suggests even for dwarves.
Optional. Just as applying usage restrictions to pistol sized grenade launchers, or getting a net -1 for shooting in melee.
Yerameyahu
Right. There are optional rules for this in Arsenal. smile.gif I guess if your players are the kind of people who'd play a pixie with a reach weapon *and* say, 'there are no obligatory rules against this!'… you have other problems.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 30 2011, 01:01 PM) *
Records?
90% of the world does not even see them as sentient enough to have basic human rights or am i mistaken here?
Certainly, 90% of them are not going to be living in any human enclave, but in one of their own little habitats within the woods/mountains

You have weird hobbies *snickers* ^^

I said "records", not necessarily SINs or citizenship papers.

Heck, my own character has "Records On File", but they mostly refer to "Experiment 235-D", not her name.

-k
Xahn Borealis
One thing I'd like to know: are the SINs that France issues to pixies recognised elsewhere? Could a pixie be SINner in Seattle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012