Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weakness - Vanishing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
CanRay
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 30 2011, 09:46 PM) *
One thing I'd like to know: are the SINs that France issues to pixies recognised elsewhere? Could a pixie be SINner in Seattle?

Legally speaking, a country that recognizes SINs has to recognize all of them.

That said, racism is a major problem. There is one story in... Vice, I think, where a police officer was assaulted by fellow policemen because he happened to be a Wolf Shapechanger. His partner (A Centaur), had to beat them off to get them to understand that he was a Cop as well.

But that's Quebec, what else did you expect? I mean, hell, they already have Nazi-esque police forces for language IRL!
Xahn Borealis
That was Kawai-i's blog in Running Wild. She doesn't give pony rides.
redwulf25
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 30 2011, 10:59 PM) *

That said, racism is a major problem. There is one story in... Vice, I think, where a police officer was assaulted by fellow policemen because he happened to be a Wolf Shapechanger. His partner (A Centaur), had to beat them off to get them to understand that he was a Cop as well.

But that's Quebec, what else did you expect? I mean, hell, they already have Nazi-esque police forces for language IRL!

That's . . . an interesting way of settling the conflict. I hope the centaur washed his hands afterwords.
CanRay
QUOTE (redwulf25 @ Mar 30 2011, 11:22 PM) *
That's . . . an interesting way of settling the conflict. I hope the centaur washed his hands afterwords.

I think she used her Tonfa, actually.
Stahlseele
Notice the difference between beating off(fun for the one getting beaten off) and beating up(usually fun for only the one beating up)
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 30 2011, 11:59 PM) *

Actually it's kind of a messed up legislation. In the same blog, Kawai-i mentions something about flying from Los Angeles to Atlanta in the first class, and the travel back she must be in the cargo area, as "living cargo" and not a person.
Dakka Dakka
Probably depending on which fake SIN you use for flying - or if you even use one. Hacking the shipping manifest so that the cargo hold is heated, and sneaking in will probably be the cheapest way of flying.
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 31 2011, 08:19 AM) *
Actually it's kind of a messed up legislation. In the same blog, Kawai-i mentions something about flying from Los Angeles to Atlanta in the first class, and the travel back she must be in the cargo area, as "living cargo" and not a person.

That issue is more that the airline didn't have seats (Well, tie-down straps) for a centaur. They could argue it was more an issue of safety, and not one of racism.
KarmaInferno
It had to do with the fact that the CAS doesn't recognize Centaurs as sentients.

The centaur officer was able to secure a first class seat flying from Pueblo to Atlanta just fine, they pulled out a row of seats and she more or less sat on the floor.

Flying back, they wouldn't let her do the same thing, as only sentients are allowed in passenger space, so she had to ride in the cargo area as livestock.

-k
CanRay
Ah, been awhile since I read it. Gotta love racism.

Well, at least the Confederated folks aren't as bad as the Quebecois.

Jeeze, you know you're in the deep end when the Confederates are less racist than you. nyahnyah.gif
sabs
In my world the Quebecois are a bit differently racist.

If you're Quebecois and you speak French like a native, then it's okay to be Metahuman, and even Metasapient(to a point).
If you don't speak french or are clearly not a Quebecois, then you range from scum(humans), to bounty on your head(Metasapients, and MAYBE trolls).

If you look at the maps, Quebec is basically a small strip of civilized area between Quebec City and Montreal, and vast horde wildernesses filled with Paracritters. It's /dangerous/ and paracritters are a real problem. Combine that with the French bias in Quebec, and you get some serious Racism.

But a French Troll would get more respect, than an English Human, in Quebec.
CanRay
Sabs, where are you? Because you pretty much nailed Quebecois Racism down PAT! Save for one thing: It has to be the right kind of French you're speaking.

Start speaking Acadian-French, and you're just as bad as an Anglophone.
sabs
No, I thought you HAD to speak Acadian French? I thought French French marked you as a Continental prick who needs to swim back to Paris, preferably without a boat.

I'm currently in Delaware, USA. But I have family in Quebec, and being French(Paris) I am quite familiar with the Quebecois.
Xahn Borealis
RL Racism? In my SR?
sabs
Well, it fits well with the Shadowrun setting. I think it's a nice twist on the usual Metas are scum. Imagine the surprise on your UCAS runners when their trolls is getting treated like shit, and theyr'e sure it's because all the Quebecois are racists bastards, and they see some other troll treated well, and they can't figure out why.

Also remember, Quebec is the only North American country that allows serving Naga, and other Metasapients as food.
CanRay
QUOTE (sabs @ Mar 31 2011, 01:32 PM) *
No, I thought you HAD to speak Acadian French? I thought French French marked you as a Continental prick who needs to swim back to Paris, preferably without a boat.

I'm currently in Delaware, USA. But I have family in Quebec, and being French(Paris) I am quite familiar with the Quebecois.

If you head towards where the Sepratists really are (Quebec City and surrounding area, or rural Quebec that isn't held by First Nations), then Acadian will get you nailed as an "Outsider". Parisian French is just as bad. No, it has to be Quebecois French, which apparently is very... Backward. Like speaking The King's English in Modern Day New York. ... Um, better make that somewhere in Georgia (The State, not the Country.).

Acadian French is mostly found in the Maritimes (The Island Provinces off the East Coast.). They're not "Real French" like Quebecois are. nyahnyah.gif Really, it's a very stupid form of racism for even racists.

I mean, if I were to speak the Fringlish-Style Ontarian French-Canadian to a Manitoban French-Canadian (Which still has a lot of true French in it), we might have a small issue talking, but there wouldn't be a hate on between us. (Now, Easterner-to-Westerner issues, that we'd have in abundance, until I tell them I'm from NORTHERN Ontario, then they pat me on the shoulder and say, "I'm sorry."). wink.gif

Now, if you excuse me, my Naga Stew is being served. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, magically delicious!
Xahn Borealis
Canada is confusing. I swear I heard you speaking British English at some point.
CanRay
Look on the bright side, Xahn, you don't live here.

Now, I have to figure out how to deep fry Pixies for Quebecois tastes.
James McMurray
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 31 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Or here.
sabs
Can you deep fry pixies, when they vanish when they die?

I'm pretty sure you have to eat pixie while it's still alive.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 31 2011, 08:32 PM) *

Trust me, where I live is NOT a bright side.
Yerameyahu
You just keep it alive during the frying and eat fast.
Brazilian_Shinobi
So, a pixie vanishes when is dead, but what happens if you cut off one's arm? Will the arm disappear, or does it just disappear when the rest of the body dies?
Xahn Borealis
I would say nothing happens till it dies. Otherwise, you could argue that bloodstains disappear and ritual sorcery and any sort of tissue sample are impossible.
Stahlseele
The tragedy of Canada is they could have had British culture, French cooking, and American technology, but instead they got American culture, British cooking, and French technology.

am i ever so glad that i am german and in germany right now . .
Yerameyahu
Yeah, it's Weakness, so we should err on the side of 'more problematic for the munchki-- er, pixie'.
Xahn Borealis
What's wrong with British cooking? Are you saying you DON'T want chips (fries) with your red sauce (ketchup)?
Yerameyahu
I'm not sure either of those are from Britain, but it's a good point. Also, we're talking about cooking pixies, and they're from Britain?
Stahlseele
You can't cook pixies, they'll vanish.
or do you mean pixies doing the cooking?
Yerameyahu
We're going on the assumption that you can cook parts of them. It's amazing what you can remove from a person without killing them. (Dignity, freedom, etc. wink.gif )
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 31 2011, 10:29 PM) *
I'm not sure either of those are from Britain, but it's a good point. Also, we're talking about cooking pixies, and they're from Britain?

When you use those proportions, it's British. At least among the 'yoof'.
Stahlseele
Now i imagine a Ghoul-Mother*shudders* telling her "children"*shudders*:"Eat up, before it vanishes!"
Xahn Borealis
Wouldn't they vanish after you've eaten them? You could probably manage a lick before they died.

OH GOD WHY AM I TALKING ABOUT LICKING PIXIES BEFORE THEY DIE
Yerameyahu
It's for the flavor, not the nourishment.
Xahn Borealis
I'm gonna stop right now. There's so many places I could take this but they're all NSFE. (Not Safe For Earth)
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 31 2011, 04:13 PM) *
The tragedy of Canada is they could have had British culture, French cooking, and American technology, but instead they got American culture, British cooking, and French technology.
am i ever so glad that i am german and in germany right now . . .

Who said that? Because it's spot on accurate! I swear, the amount of jury rigging and retrofitting of stuff to survive a simple winter is insane.

Of course, what technology that is ours does tend to stand up quite well to extreme conditions.

The truth about "Canadian Culture" is that you're hard pressed to find it with all the cultures that are around that kept theirs through the ages, so the public at large just apes the US and hopes that no one notices that we actually don't have any of our own. nyahnyah.gif
sabs
Hey! French Technology is good!
CanRay
Do I need to drag up the movie of the Canadian Soldiers running away from their just launched French-Made Anti-Tank Rocket?

There's a reason most of the products now being leased by the Canadian Armed Forces are coming from Germany.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 1 2011, 12:39 AM) *
The truth about "Canadian Culture" is that you're hard pressed to find it with all the cultures that are around that kept theirs through the ages, so the public at large just apes the US and hopes that no one notices that we actually don't have any of our own. nyahnyah.gif

I knew it!
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 31 2011, 06:46 PM) *
Wouldn't they vanish after you've eaten them? You could probably manage a lick before they died.

OH GOD WHY AM I TALKING ABOUT LICKING PIXIES BEFORE THEY DIE

Shhh...
Shhh...

Just take deep breaths. Breath in, breath out.
This is just your brain rearranging itself.
Now your initiation in the true nature of the world may begin.
Can Ray, take him to work in tech support. Let's see how long it will take for him to break. vegm.gif
Xahn Borealis
Do it. I have the heart of a sea-horse.

YOU WILL NOT BREAK ME
CanRay
*Crawls into a corner and gibbers madly*
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 1 2011, 01:04 AM) *
*Crawls into a corner and gibbers madly*

Weakness. I have a special ability that renders me impervious to extreme stupidity.... EGO.
CanRay
*Sobs* That's the first thing they steal! They suck it out of you with a steel straw that goes through your skull!
Xahn Borealis
They're gonna need a bigger straw. I'm a teenager. I know EVERYTHING.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 31 2011, 09:04 PM) *
You just keep it alive during the frying and eat fast.

I hear there's a few sushi chefs who can actually pull that off.

As far as OT is concerned, i don't think Vanishing was ever intended as a serious impairment, but more as a bit of fluff that was kept for the ED crowd.
It does have a few effects ingame, but i doubt that pixie cyberzombies and pixie autopsies would come up that often if they where rules-legal.
Xahn Borealis
How does it work in ED?
CanRay
"And now, on Paranormal Autopsies, the Pixie! Doctor, the patient is..."

*Doctor begins shouting, the entire statement bleeped out*

"... Apparently disappearing before his very eyes."
Yerameyahu
On the other hand, they *are* pixies. Let's take the minor penalties where we find them. smile.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 1 2011, 01:43 AM) *
Do I need to drag up the movie of the Canadian Soldiers running away from their just launched French-Made Anti-Tank Rocket?

There's a reason most of the products now being leased by the Canadian Armed Forces are coming from Germany.

German Engineering. There IS no substitute!

As for Tech-Support:
Yah, Ego is one of the first things to go in there . .
Especially if you have to work with people who DO know what they are doing . .
That's actually worse than working with people who THINK they know what they are doing <.<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012