Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Expanded Metagenetics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kesendeja
I've been working on expanding the metagenetic qualities in the game, and I'd like to see what people think about them. I'd also like to see any other people have used in their games.

I'll start it off with mine.

Augmented Attributes
10 BP per level

This metagenetic quality gives the character a plus one per level to their attribute that may break the normal limits. Each time it is purchased they must designate which attribute it affects. they may, with the GM's approval, purchase it up to five times for each attribute.

Wings (Redux)
Cost: 10 or 20 BP

The character possesses a set of wings with a total span equal to three times their height.

Bone density or lacing will render the character to heavy to fly or glide.

At 10 BP they cannot fly only glide. But they are also immune to falling damage providing that they have room to spread their wings. Their speed is equal to their running speed. If they can catch thermal updrafts they can extend the distance they can glide.

For 20 BP their bodies have undergone radical restructuring to allow true flight. Their bones have reshaped into a honeycomb structure that lightens them by 50% which compensates for their weight of the wings. Weight is equal to the character pre-surge. Increased tensile strength in muscles has resulted in an elevated temperature that makes them easier to spot. They receive a -1D to hide against thermographics. Finally their metabolism increases to provide the energy necessary for flight. Add 20% to lifestyle costs for additional dietary requirements.

They fly at a rate of twice their running speed.

Celerity counts to increase flight speed as well, but leg enhancements do not. Speed can be further increased with a Flight check in the same way running does.
Xahn Borealis
They'd have to be pretty strong to let a human fly, let alone ork or troll. Don't forget the potential use as an Exotic Melee Weapon, either. As dwarfs are smaller, I'd give them a bonus to movement rate, as well as those with the Neotenic quality. To be honest, I'm surprised this didn't show up in RC originally. There's several bird-like metagenetic qualities but not this.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 2 2011, 01:05 AM) *
They'd have to be pretty strong to let a human fly, let alone ork or troll. Don't forget the potential use as an Exotic Melee Weapon, either. As dwarfs are smaller, I'd give them a bonus to movement rate, as well as those with the Neotenic quality. To be honest, I'm surprised this didn't show up in RC originally. There's several bird-like metagenetic qualities but not this.

I assumed that the wings would be strong enough to allow flight, but a cheaper version only for gliding could be interesting.

Dwarfs actually seem to weigh as much as humans, so they wouldn't get that much of a bonus, maybe give them the same speed. But would this mean that heavier trolls would actually be slower?
Yerameyahu
AFAIK, it'd be ungodly hard to make a humanoid fly without full-on pixie magic. In terms of total systemic body changes, I mean. Forget trolls, just regular people. I feel like the reason this isn't in RC is because it's so impossible… and of dubious benefit. A sort of flying-squirrel gliding membrane seems more reasonable, though still firmly in the 'more weird than desirable' camp.

Perhaps a bird- or bat-like parasentient would be a better fit? A harpy Infected?
Minchandre
Of course, Pixie magic isn't impossible. Just cause the quality to give the character Magic 1 (which can be increased as normal if an Adept or Magician), with the caveat that if their Magic ever goes below 1 for whatever reason, they can no longer fly.
longbowrocks
Of course all it take is a little bit of pixie magic, but you're forgetting the primary component: "you just gotta believe!"
Abstruse
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Apr 5 2011, 12:18 AM) *
Of course, Pixie magic isn't impossible. Just cause the quality to give the character Magic 1 (which can be increased as normal if an Adept or Magician), with the caveat that if their Magic ever goes below 1 for whatever reason, they can no longer fly.

Please no. Thanks to Dragonborn in D&D 4e, there's too many furries posing as gamers as it is...
longbowrocks
AFAIK, it'd be ungodly hard to create a directed ground-effect cushion under the character’s feet, allowing him to hover a few centimeters above the ground without full-on pixie magic. In terms of total systemic energy capacity, I mean. grinbig.gif

On a related note, I want to try doing 100 push-ups.
Abstruse
Humans flat-out aren't built for wing flight. We're too dense. Birds have skeletal structures specifically designed to be as light as possible without losing much strength. Also, a pair of wings would require a second set of pectoral muscles, specifically very very strong ones. You're better off figuring out a way to pull an Iron Man than an Angel.
Pepsi Jedi
In a game where dragons, Huge giant reptiles, fly around effortlessly, I think the physics behind it are a bit... shall we say unwanted? Lol

IRL it might be almost impossible for a human to fly with angle sized wings.

In the game. Dragons fly. All sorts of meta critters fly. Aren't gargoyles made of stone and fly?
Abstruse
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 5 2011, 12:44 AM) *
In a game where dragons, Huge giant reptiles, fly around effortlessly, I think the physics behind it are a bit... shall we say unwanted? Lol

IRL it might be almost impossible for a human to fly with angle sized wings.

In the game. Dragons fly. All sorts of meta critters fly. Aren't gargoyles made of stone and fly?

Yeah, but those critters are all magical in origin. It's talked about in Dragons of the Sixth World p12, complete with a description of oriental dragons as "the kind of dragon that likes to snub gravity so much it doesn't even have wings".
Machiavelli
Ain´t SURGE also some kind of...magic?^^
Caadium
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 5 2011, 01:21 AM) *
Ain´t SURGE also some kind of...magic?^^

Not as I understand it. It is just a random genetic expression. In fact, when Surge was first introduced, awakened were 50% less likely to undergo SURGE than mundanes.

Dragons, Drakes, Pixies, etc, are magical creatures, their flight is more magic in origin. Don't get me wrong, I've considered making a Drake just so I could fly, so flight through less cost-prohibitive means appeals to me. Hell, in SR2 I had a GM let me create a Flight spell (faster travel than levitate, only castable on myself, with much higher drain).

However, when you look at the science-fiction aspect of Shadowrun I'd have to tell my players no if they asked for something like this. If you want to go for personal flight that isn't magic in nature, I suspect looking at things like flight packs or similar things. To me, wings either have to be workable or magical; not something in between.
Machiavelli
As is understand it, Surge is nothing more than a metagenetic expression through induced magic. Surge started as halleys comet caused some sort of mana-spike and even nowadays some people goblinize or change if the are expelled to a high level of mana, so the reason for the change would definitely be magic. Once it expresses, it doesn´t need magic to sustain, nor is it active magic...in that case i agree, but the effect itself is magic in nature. Some of the effects are also definitely paranormal (e.g. glamour, nasty vibe, etc.) so something like flight shouldn´t be the problem. Not really.^^
Muspellsheimr
Contrary to popular belief, humanoid winged flight is not actually "impractical". A wingspan of approximately 2.5 times the individual's height (12 - 14 feet for the average human) would be sufficient to provide lift. It would, however, require significant restructuring of their back & shoulder area to handle the comparatively extreme stress, as well as exceptionally strong muscle development to support the wing use. Hollowing of the bones would also be sensible, but not strictly necessary dependent on other changes; hardening the bones (without increasing density - not exactly sure how) would offset their decreased strength for practical purposes.

On the whole, it looks quite a bit similar to a metagenic quality I developed a while back. Unfortunately I never got a chance to play the character I built it for.
Stahlseele
Gargoyles.
Else:
Is Drake-Flight Magical or is it from the wings?
We have a Precedent here.
Yerameyahu
Drake-flight is magic.

I didn't mean that SURGE is mundane in nature. I *did* mean that SURGE effects are largely non-magical (some clear exceptions), and that you don't even need wings if the flight is magical.

I was referring specifically to the massive muscle/skeleton restructuring required; to me, the very definition of 'impractical'.
Rasumichin
I'd make the wings in themselves only good for gliding and preventing damage from falls, maybe also short hops.
For actual flight, i'd introduce a second quality that includes changes to the character's bone structure (incompatible with bone lacing/bone density augmentation, probably also with a reduced physical damage track).
Maybe add a third quality for air sacs.
Cougar
Reminds me of something I had seen a while ago . . . . .

Found it: http://www.memento-mori.com/other/games/angels.html

Abstruse
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 5 2011, 07:30 AM) *
Drake-flight is magic.

I didn't mean that SURGE is mundane in nature. I *did* mean that SURGE effects are largely non-magical (some clear exceptions), and that you don't even need wings if the flight is magical.

I was referring specifically to the massive muscle/skeleton restructuring required; to me, the very definition of 'impractical'.

Drakes and SURGE are two different things that just happened to occur around the same time due to the surge in mana levels.
Yerameyahu
Right. SURGE effects are generally in the 'biological' camp (rhino hide), instead of the flatly 'magic' side (pixie flight). But, even if you said the SURGE flight was magic, then you wouldn't even *need* the wings.
Machiavelli
Depends. I think in the description of the Surge-Effects they mention that you nearly almost (especially at high-rating Surge-classes) have some kind of "theme" the changings follow. So flying without wings wouldn´t be SURGE.^^
Xahn Borealis
Especially as there's already several other bird-themed metagenetic qualities: feathers, beak...
Machiavelli
Right. But at least you could so some kind of ostrich-man....not cool but possible.
Xahn Borealis
Roadrunner, with Celerity?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 6 2011, 07:12 PM) *
Roadrunner, with Celerity?

If you combine it with Raptor Legs, the Movement spirit power and the obligatory pair of rollerblades, then yes.
Xahn Borealis
What other flightless birds could you mutate into? Penguins? Dodo?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 6 2011, 09:31 PM) *
What other flightless birds could you mutate into? Penguins? Dodo?

THEM
Yerameyahu
No, Machiavelli, I'm definitely not saying there should or could be full-magic SURGE flight. That's exactly my point: SURGE isn't that, therefore the flight isn't magic, therefore it's not possible for a humanoid without huge systemic changes.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Apr 5 2011, 01:31 AM) *
Please no. Thanks to Dragonborn in D&D 4e, there's too many furries posing as gamers as it is...

How about you apologize Abstruse. That was a very rude comment.

If someone who is a furry, what makes them less desirable as player? You would rather have less players than allow someone who is a furry to play? You are rude.

========================================

Now on topic. If you want to have winged flight, you MUST have magic. Otherwise it's like everyone else is saying, the human body is not built for it.

Just make it like other metagenic qualities that have requirements. You can have a requirement for this quality be that the SURGEling must have a Magic 1 or greater. If they lose that Magic, then they can't fly or glide. The wings become dead weight.
Xahn Borealis
There's no reason the wings couldn't be vestigial, as in a negative met. quality. Maybe you could use them as exotic melee weapons, maybe you can glide a little... Or maybe you're just what the Yakuza have been looking for for their new Bunraku experience. devil.gif
Pendaric
Spell knack levitate+ wings surge.
Xahn Borealis
May as well make it a restricted Levitate [Self] spell.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 5 2011, 06:28 AM) *
Contrary to popular belief, humanoid winged flight is not actually "impractical". A wingspan of approximately 2.5 times the individual's height (12 - 14 feet for the average human) would be sufficient to provide lift. It would, however, require significant restructuring of their back & shoulder area to handle the comparatively extreme stress, as well as exceptionally strong muscle development to support the wing use. Hollowing of the bones would also be sensible, but not strictly necessary dependent on other changes; hardening the bones (without increasing density - not exactly sure how) would offset their decreased strength for practical purposes.

On the whole, it looks quite a bit similar to a metagenic quality I developed a while back. Unfortunately I never got a chance to play the character I built it for.

Found these little factoids when I was researching the flight structure of birds. Restructuring of the bones with a honeycomb like framework will lighten the bones by 60% with no decrease in strength. Raising the core body temperature has the side effect of strengthening muscle fiber and fast twitch nerve responses. So as a package I'd say the wings compensate for the weight loss of the bones keeping the mass of the body the same. Raising the body temp and metabilism as a side effect takes care of muscle strength, and the massive caloric intake required.
Yerameyahu
That's exactly what I meant by 'massive changes'. So, yes, if you can turn your bones into carbon fiber and re-jigger your metabolism… sure, it's easy. biggrin.gif
longbowrocks
'course it's easy. You can augment your body enough to crush tanks barehanded (more like BEARhanded), so why can't you reject your very nature and be reborn as a sky dwelling being? smokin.gif
Yerameyahu
Too different.
Kesendeja
Wings (Redux)

Cost: 10 or 20 BP

The character possesses a set of wings with a total span equal to three times their height.

Bone density or lacing will render the character to heavy to fly or glide.

At 10 BP they cannot fly only glide. But they are also immune to falling damage providing that they have room to spread their wings. Their speed is equal to their running speed. If they can catch thermal updrafts they can extend the distance they can glide.

For 20 BP their bodies have undergone radical restructuring to allow true flight. Their bones have reshaped into a honeycomb structure that lightens them by 50% which compensates for their weight of the wings. Weight is equal to the character pre-surge. Increased tensile strength in muscles has resulted in an elevated temperature that makes them easier to spot. They receive a -1D to hide against thermographics. Finally their metabolism increases to provide the energy necessary for flight. Add 20% to lifestyle costs for additional dietary requirements.

They fly at a rate of twice their running speed.

Celerity counts to increase flight speed as well, but leg enhancements do not. Speed can be further increased with a Flight check in the same way running does.
Muspellsheimr
Winged flight would be quite useful, but comes with some significant downsides.

First, your flight is essentially nullified in constrained environments.
Second, you will very much receive the effects of Distinctive Style.

Your original version is actually much closer to what I designed, & quite a bit superior to the new one. With the given downsides, it's not worth 10BP for 'gliding'. The only possible justification for it costing 20BP is how SURGE qualities work, and that's largely the reason I would price it at 15BP instead of 10.

The flight rate of a fixed 50 meters per turn does not work well for Dwarf vs. Troll speeds; twice the character's base running rate is better.

Bone Density Augmentation specifically includes ligament strengthening, counteracting the increased weight; we can reasonably assume similar applies to Bone Lacing - there is no reason to include that specific exception.

Noting that leg enhancement's don't affect the speed is good, but is entirely unnecessary with a fixed movement rate, and would be better placed as a "(before any adjustments)" to a x2 speed or similar. Celerity does not affect any other creature's natural fly speed (such as shifters), and the description explicitly specifies legs & walking/running rates. There is no reason for it to apply to wing-based flight speeds.

Edit:
And for all the naysayers, it is a metagenetic quality. Many of which have similarly substantial biological changes, all of which require SURGE.
Many of the metagenetic qualities are crap. It would be nice to have a few more that are actually useful.

Wingspan would be better listed as "about 2.5 times the character's height (4 to 5 meters for most humans)."
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 6 2011, 07:38 PM) *
No, Machiavelli, I'm definitely not saying there should or could be full-magic SURGE flight. That's exactly my point: SURGE isn't that, therefore the flight isn't magic, therefore it's not possible for a humanoid without huge systemic changes.

Sorry, i don´t get it. Possibly too much dope in my youth or anything like that. wink.gif I thought we had basically the same opinion.^^
Yerameyahu
Haha. It just sounded like you thought I said there *should* be a no-wings flight SURGE trait. I'm not. I'm saying that SURGE is (99%) about biological effects, but you'd either need magic or massive changes for this.

Muspellsheimr, you're right that winged flight would have huge penalties; I said so at the beginning. That's half the point against it right there. I don't think anyone's arguing that it'd be overpowered. Nor that it'd be bad to have more SURGE stuff. But I think you're wrong that there are many (any?) that are as transformative as non-magical humanoid flight would have to be. smile.gif

Incidentally, I'm positive I've seen (crazy) people argue that Celerity/etc. applies to things like Drake flight… 'the RAW doesn't say it doesn't!'. Haha.
Machiavelli
For my newest character i bought 2 things that should help him survive better than through any other means possible (equipment, spells, armor, etc.)....it´s "common sense" and Edge on 5. Some people seemingly haven´t invested in one of these points. Guess which one i think about. ^^
Kesendeja
Augmented Attributes
10 BP per level

This metagenetic quality gives the character a plus one per level to their attribute that may break the normal limits up to 1.5 times the regular maximum. Each time it is purchased they must designate which attribute it affects. they may, with the GM's approval, purchase it up to five times for each attribute.
Yerameyahu
That already exists, and how're you getting 50 BP of qualities anyway? smile.gif
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 19 2011, 11:00 PM) *
That already exists, and how're you getting 50 BP of qualities anyway? smile.gif

I'm using the metagenetic qualities to create new metavarients or sapient creature PC's. I assign them a BP total and build from there.

And what's the original ability called I must have missed it?
Yerameyahu
Metagenetic Improvement (Attribute), and it costs 20, max once per attrib. It just seems like a duplicate that costs half as much and can be taken 500% as much is… inappropriate?

Anyway, this one's used on a few metavariants; e.g. Fomori.
Kesendeja
Metagenetic Improvement (Attribute) Raises the minimum and maximum of the attribute it doesn't give you the point in the attribute.

But your right the cost is to low. Thinking of 10 up to the maximum and 20 if you break the normal max.
Yerameyahu
Oh. I misread yours. smile.gif … Honestly, that's even worse. Each point of an attribute only costs 10BP in the first place (25 for the max point), and Exceptional Attribute is 20BP. So, you're combining 10 or 25 BP plus 20 BP (30-45) into… 10. Or 20, still no good.

I feel like 'increase the minimum' *is* a +1. Does anyone out there not read it that way? If it didn't raise the attribute, it would have the 'this doesn't actually raise the attribute' disclaimer that Exceptional Attrib and Genetic Optimization both have.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 19 2011, 11:23 PM) *
Oh. I misread yours. smile.gif … Honestly, that's even worse. Each point of an attribute only costs 10BP in the first place (25 for the max point), and Exceptional Attribute is 20BP. So, you're combining 10 or 25 BP plus 20 BP (30-45) into… 10. Or 20, still no good.

Reedited for clarity. they can break the normal maximum up to 1.5 times. So a human could have up to a 9 in something, just like the normal rules for augmented attributes.
Yerameyahu
I dig: it's like Muscle Toner without that pesky surgery or Essence loss. Does it count as Augmented? Does it alter the Augmented Max? Does it cost as much as getting it with BP (or Karma, later)? It just seems like something that shouldn't exist, given the game mechanics. If it's just a 'race-building' rule, not intended for actual characters, then it's more understandable.

If it's not, though… the powergamers *already* rush to get Exceptional, Metagenic, and Genetic Improvement, and all of those are *much* worse deals. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012