Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firearms that make sense...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tyro
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 5 2011, 06:50 PM) *
If they go faster than normal bullets, they're not silent (-er, -ish, anything).

The thing is, there are already plenty of options for stun: SnS, Gel, Capsule, shotguns (effectively), etc. I'd like something that could reliably do Physical, without being brokenly powerful. smile.gif Just for kicks. Physical is harder to heal, for one thing.

Okay, you have a point (2, even!). I was thinking about the Needler as written, which IIRC is silent; needles would not be, yay sonic booms in enclosed spaces! Roll save vs. deafness.

This would be fun to use against PCs - they hate physical damage, especially when you enforce healing modifiers devil.gif
CanRay
Do red bullets fired from an ork's gun go faster?
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 5 2011, 06:55 PM) *

Well I don't reallREDBULLETGOREDBULLETGOREDBULLETGOREDBULLETGOREDBULLETGO
Tyro
On reflection (and discussion with Faraday), -1 DV/-4 AP seems fair, considering the incredible capacity and FA capabilities of needle guns.
Yerameyahu
Now, can any old gun fire the flechette ammo? AFAIK, that's 'yes'; should it be? We know that the Slivergun can't fire any normal ammo types (right?), so I wonder.
Tyro
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 5 2011, 07:20 PM) *
Now, can any old gun fire the flechette ammo? AFAIK, that's 'yes'; should it be? We know that the Slivergun can't fire any normal ammo types (right?), so I wonder.

This type of flechette ammo requires a barrel seal, so probably just needleguns.
Yerameyahu
That's what I figured. Maybe it could be a weapon mod. smile.gif An extremely niche one, of course.
Tyro
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 5 2011, 08:20 PM) *
That's what I figured. Maybe it could be a weapon mod. smile.gif An extremely niche one, of course.

Maybe. Interesting side note: I'm trypanophobic (fear of needles) nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 6 2011, 04:55 AM) *

red unz go fasta.
vehicles get more movement distance and shootas deal more damage i think, but i am not sure . .
Interesting side note: I'm tyranophobic (fear of tyranosaurus)
nezumi
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Apr 5 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Actually, I do. Your steel/ceramic/duraplast/kevlar/ferrocrete/whatever shell of armor, even if it's just armored clothing, is orders of magnitude tougher than human skin. Its job is to absorb and distribute the force of a projectile impact, because the only way the projectile does serious damage is by concentrating its force on a small area. The better a projectile is at piercing the armor, the more energy that projectile is going to carry beyond the armor. The more damage it's going to do to whatever soft target is behind the tougher exterior. ...

Here's an idea, what about a super-dense, non-Newtonian fluid contained in a frangible case. The case permits (approximately) normal bullet performance in air. Upon contact, the frangible case is destroyed. The fluid reacts to the heavy force of the armor as a solid, directing its force in a single point. But against soft armor/flesh, it acts more like a liquid and diffuses itself. It would still break the skin and cause substantial bleeding, and break hard things like bones, but it's not going to penetrate very deeply.

Thoughts?
Stahlseele
What is Gel-Ammo Nezumi?
nezumi
Gel ammo is gel. Non-Newtonian would act like standard ammo against dense surfaces, and gel ammo against soft surfaces. It is indeed Epictenter's slow moving, elastic bullet. It just doesn't teleport.
Epicedion
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 6 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Epictenter's

ohplease.gif
Blog
After seeing a real AA12 do its magic, i was very saddened by the functionality of the SR version of it. I think its the AA16?

Maybe my mental picture of shotguns differ, but I think they should have an "oh shit" factor between traditional firearms and heavy weapons/explosives.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Blog @ Apr 6 2011, 06:45 PM) *
After seeing a real AA12 do its magic, i was very saddened by the functionality of the SR version of it. I think its the AA16?

Maybe my mental picture of shotguns differ, but I think they should have an "oh shit" factor between traditional firearms and heavy weapons/explosives.

Much better automatish Shotgun
nezumi
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Apr 6 2011, 11:31 AM) *
ohplease.gif

Sorry, Epicdion. My mistake.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 6 2011, 11:46 AM) *

"I'm going to name her Vera!"
Epicedion
Too bad about the Pancor Jackhammer.
Raven the Trickster
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 6 2011, 12:46 PM) *

I thought that was an AA12, was I wrong in that?

That said, in the movie it fires *way* too many rounds between reloads.
CanRay
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Apr 6 2011, 12:21 PM) *

It's a nudge towards the old '80s classic action flicks, where you only reload when it's appropriate. nyahnyah.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Apr 6 2011, 05:08 PM) *
Too bad about the Pancor Jackhammer.

Is your schtick going to be shitting on everyone's parade?

'Cause if it is, I may as well get my nut punches out of the way early. nyahnyah.gif
Epicedion
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 6 2011, 12:53 PM) *
Is your schtick going to be shitting on everyone's parade?

'Cause if it is, I may as well get my nut punches out of the way early. nyahnyah.gif

What? It's an SR-looking auto-shotgun.
Doc Chase
One no longer in development. Sadness for me, I'll have to look for something else for my game hunting.

Epicedion
Weaponized Anthrax. For duck huntin'.
CanRay
CIWS.
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Apr 6 2011, 12:21 PM) *

Terry Crews uses a Saiga 12 in the opening boat scene vs the somalian pirates, you barely get a glimpse of it, I had to rewind and frame by frame to get a good look at it, its a shorty (8-12" barrel, need a permit for anything under 18" in the US) with an aliance armament 20 round drum on it (piece of crap drum, but it looks cool). Later in the movie starting on the plane trip over where he talks about the rate of fire of the weapon he is using an AA12 with frag 12 rounds (he holds up one of the rounds which for some unexplained reason is neither exploded nor is in its shotshell, its just the finned projectile).

Why is the Shadowrun version of the AA12 called the AA16, does it actually change from a 12 gauge to a 16 gauge?
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 6 2011, 10:26 AM) *
CIWS.
Attach a miniaturized one to a Ghoul-Fomori Cyberzombie. vegm.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Fauxknight @ Apr 6 2011, 06:26 PM) *
Terry Crews uses a Saiga 12 in the opening boat scene vs the somalian pirates, you barely get a glimpse of it, I had to rewind and frame by frame to get a good look at it, its a shorty (8-12" barrel, need a permit for anything under 18" in the US) with an aliance armament 20 round drum on it (piece of crap drum, but it looks cool). Later in the movie starting on the plane trip over where he talks about the rate of fire of the weapon he is using an AA12 with frag 12 rounds (he holds up one of the rounds which for some unexplained reason is neither exploded nor is in its shotshell, its just the finned projectile).

Why is the Shadowrun version of the AA12 called the AA16, does it actually change from a 12 gauge to a 16 gauge?

Because we're 70 years in the future, I'd assume that the model number would change. nyahnyah.gif

And the AA12 in the movie amused me. Fire five rounds and a building explodes. Why they didn't market this as a comedy is beyond me.
CanRay
Because that's how it was done in the '80s, man! Improvise Grenade Arrows and make things blow up real good!
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 6 2011, 02:32 PM) *
Because we're 70 years in the future, I'd assume that the model number would change. nyahnyah.gif

Yeah, but this is a caliber designation, not just a model number, for a shotgun going from a 12 to a 16 means it gets smaller. I'd expect some extra designation like AA12M1 or something like that, but not a smaller diameter bore...and yes I understand you're joking.

And the AA12 in the movie amused me. Fire five rounds and a building explodes. Why they didn't market this as a comedy is beyond me.

I was also laughing my ass off, while the AA12 did most of the random exploding body parts and buildings, some of the other more conventional weapons still blew off or exploded body parts as well.
CanRay
Yeah, well, "Did not do the research" is a common issue with firearms.

"It's a Glock 7, ceramics and plastic, won't set off metal detectors. Costs more than you or I make in a month." - Die Hard 2. Only the last part is right. It was a Glock 17, and still had enough metal in it to set off metal detectors. The barrel, for one piece.
kzt
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 6 2011, 11:57 AM) *
"It's a Glock 7, ceramics and plastic, won't set off metal detectors. Costs more than you or I make in a month." - Die Hard 2. Only the last part is right.

If you don't make $550 a month, yeah that is right. In which case you should get your minimum wage job to give you more than 14 hours a week.
Faraday
QUOTE (kzt @ Apr 6 2011, 12:27 PM) *
If you don't make $550 a month, yeah that is right. In which case you should get your minimum wage job to give you more than 14 hours a week.

A glock 18, though...
CanRay
QUOTE (kzt @ Apr 6 2011, 03:27 PM) *

Hey, I'm Canadian, what can I say? nyahnyah.gif

Damned taxed to hell. And communication charges... Bleh!
Wounded Ronin
I was just reading a Stony Man jungle, where a small elite commando team is getting ready to conduct a mission against a vast fanatical army of cannibals in Africa who have gotten ahold of ebola virus.

In the text it says that the ideal weapon for this situation for them to be carrying is a MP5 submachinegun, because they're expecting to battle endless waves of fanatics, and they want to be able to carry extra ammo which they can do best with 9mm parabellum cartridges.

I imagined a small group of 5 guys with SMGs out in the open on an African plain trying to hold off human wave attacks conducted by guys with AK 47s.
CanRay
*Headdesk* No. No no no. No.

If they're fanatical, they're likely to not even notice a 9mm Parabellum. Might not even notice a 5.56mm. A .45 ACP (If you *HAVE* to have an SMG) or something in 7.62mm would be better. Preferably belt-fed.

I suggest the M60E4.
Raven the Trickster
You really like that gun nyahnyah.gif (I know why, but still amusing)
CanRay
Either that or a M2HB. But that's a little hard to move around.
Raven the Trickster
Ya think?
CanRay
As I've said a time or five... "The Right Tool For The Right Job".
Critias
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 6 2011, 09:08 PM) *
If they're fanatical, they're likely to not even notice a 9mm Parabellum.

That depends entirely on where you put it. wink.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 7 2011, 12:13 AM) *
That depends entirely on where you put it. wink.gif

That's true of a .22 as well. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Apr 6 2011, 08:42 PM) *
You really like that gun nyahnyah.gif (I know why, but still amusing)

What's not to like. Though I would like a return to a heavier barrel. Those light weight pieces of trash are absolutely no good at all. WAY to easy to burn out.

Either that or a M2HB. But that's a little hard to move around.

Of course, if weight is not an issue, then the Mk. 19 is the way to go. Can't get much better than that... smokin.gif
Yerameyahu
If anything, it's much *more* true… stupid tiny things. smile.gif
KarmaInferno
How about a shoulder-fired 1919 machinegun?

-k
Raven the Trickster
Yes, but can that 1919 do this?
KarmaInferno
Well, the M1919 is the weapon the M60 replaced, more or less. They can fire the same round depending on the model of M1919 (it was manufactured in several calibers) and both weapons were used in sustained fire roles.

So it's quite possible.

The M60 is far more portable, though.

-k
CanRay
Get a big enough guy (Or a Troll), and an old Water-Cooled Vickers would be just about perfect. Fired for a week straight in WWI under field conditions.

In the muddy trenches of France!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 7 2011, 07:35 AM) *
Get a big enough guy (Or a Troll), and an old Water-Cooled Vickers would be just about perfect. Fired for a week straight in WWI under field conditions.

In the muddy trenches of France!

And you can cook your rations on the boiling water cooler as well... Double Bonus... wobble.gif
CanRay
"Vickers is overheating. OK guys, time to empty and refill it." "Aw man, the Security Cameras are watching. I can't go under this kind of attention." "Quit whining, at least we're not fighting Nazis in Africa."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012