Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building a mage. Suggestions on how?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
whatevs
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 26 2011, 03:45 AM) *
Well, *you* can't be hacked, unless you're a machine. smile.gif But they do free up your hands, let you mentally control all your gear, 'telepathic' chat, access AR, etc. Buy 3, for backups. If you're not the hacker, you wouldn't be in cybercombat or dealing with Black IC anyway. You don't have to use VR at all.

Sold! Made an edit. Cheers for that!
Udoshi
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 23 2011, 10:37 AM) *
I'm tempted to play a mage in our next campaign to prove that effectiveness of ritual casting depends on experience.
On the other hand, I hate awakened characters, and that would forfeit my sammie/face that I've been building.

If you do this, do it with a mystic adept.

Heightened Concentration + Ritual Spellcasting + Sympathetic Linking metamagic + Magic 6 means you can use the '-6 for casual, once-used coffee cup sympathetic links' at no penalty. I used(or was planning) this trick on a Psionic tradition character, who naturally had an easy time picking up on people's mental auras rubbing off on things. Which is completely backwards from how magic is SUPPOSED to work.

For such a gimmic, it may also be worth using a spirit Power Pact - just to cut down on ritual times. The boost is temporary, but it should each 5bp you invest in it cuts your Ritual time by an hour if you start it on time.

Being able to snag somebodies favorite pen and spend three hours(instead of 10 or whatever) should do WONDERS for making ritual magic more convenient and easily accessable to your group, instead of some big long thing you have to wait for all day.

Yerameyahu
Psh, I think I'd smack someone who tried to use Concentration to negate ritual link penalties. smile.gif Oh well, it's a messy power to begin with.
Irion
Heightened Concentration + Ritual Spellcasting + Sympathetic Linking metamagic + Magic 6 means you can use the '-6 for casual, once-used coffee cup sympathetic links' at no penalty.

Untill your GM insists, that you are only allowed to use your adept Magic score. (Or just does not allow it in the first place)

All those mysticadpet tricks depends on a GM letting it fly.
Gargs454
Hey thanks for the advice guys, I've gotten fairly good at running assorted incarnations of street sams over the years, but this is my first crack at a mage. Still having BP issues though, so I guess its just a matter of trying to figure out what's most important at the start. smile.gif
whatevs
QUOTE (Gargs454 @ Apr 27 2011, 05:42 PM) *
Hey thanks for the advice guys, I've gotten fairly good at running assorted incarnations of street sams over the years, but this is my first crack at a mage. Still having BP issues though, so I guess its just a matter of trying to figure out what's most important at the start. smile.gif

Yup, sounds like yer right on track then if yer having bp issues. Lol. Not sure if anyone's mentioned karmagen yet, but if your table allows it, it could solve a lot of problems (did for me anyways). Good luck!
Medicineman
Karmagen is not quite as useful for Awakened (or TM) Chars .F.E. maximum 6 for only 1 Attribute total (instead of 1 max natural Attribute and one max special Attribute in BP)
Mages (and TMs) have a tendency of being better with BP instead of Karmagen.
But I like both Generation rules

with both Dances
Medicineman
Yerameyahu
I still don't understand why BP and Karmagen have totally different rules like that. They could easily have disallowed things like Submersion/Initiation, and allowed you to max a normal and a special attribute (not that I ever max anything).
Grinder
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Apr 28 2011, 06:08 AM) *
But I like both Generation rules

question.gif
Medicineman
I made my Chars(or converted them from SR3) with both BP and later with the Karma Gen system.Both have its Advantages & its Diasadvantages.
I think the Karmagen is better suited to prevent Powergaming Chars (or to at least Curb them (zurechtstutzen ?))
Some of my Chars are better with BP ,some are better with Karma.
If I'm officially supporting SR4A for Pegasus at Cons I use my 30 "Chars for Lend"(Verleihchars)for New Players they are all made with BP

with two Dances
Medicineman
whatevs
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Apr 28 2011, 08:11 AM) *
I made my Chars(or converted them from SR3) with both BP and later with the Karma Gen system.Both have its Advantages & its Diasadvantages.
I think the Karmagen is better suited to prevent Powergaming Chars (or to at least Curb them (zurechtstutzen ?))
Some of my Chars are better with BP ,some are better with Karma.
If I'm officially supporting SR4A for Pegasus at Cons I use my 30 "Chars for Lend"(Verleihchars)for New Players they are all made with BP

with two Dances
Medicineman

Hmm. I was scrounging for bp's trying to make a mage/face. Then I switched over to karmagen and was able to add the same items comfortably, with plenty of karma to spare. Guess I'm not making power game type characters.
Medicineman
QUOTE (whatevs @ Apr 30 2011, 03:21 AM) *
Hmm. I was scrounging for bp's trying to make a mage/face. Then I switched over to karmagen and was able to add the same items comfortably, with plenty of karma to spare. Guess I'm not making power game type characters.

Do You use the old Karma Gen Rules (No Racial Cost, Attribute Cost x3 ) or the new one (Racial Coat BP = Karma, Attribute x5)

He who prefers the New Dance
Medicineman
Irion
@Medicineman
It is true for both. (Well, the new ones leave you with around 100 Karma to spare, the old ones with around 300.)
(Exeption is the softmaxed body and str Troll or maxed Technomancer)

Well, I can't think of stuff better done in BP Gen, other than loopholes. (Powerfocus 4 to start with)
Money is a tiny bit cheaper in BP.

Spells: Depends on Char. If you have high int and logic are qually expensiv. If not cheaper with Karma.
Attributs: Up to 4 the points are cheaper in Karma. (Explaination: It is still cheaper in Karmagen to raise the attribute from 1 to 4 in Karmagen. Just the raise from 3 to 4 is cheaper in BP gen. Minimal amount (depending on logic and int)
Skills: same as attributs.
Money: Cheaper with BP. (minimal)
Qualities: Cheaper with BPs. (minimal)
Complex Forms: Cheaper with BPs exept at one.
Knoledge skills: Same as Attributs.

So yes, a Ork technomancer with soft maxed body will be better of with BPs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012