Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some rules/mechanics questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
UmaroVI
600Y for +6 to all social skill tests olol. Empathy software is about 4500 for +6 to all social skill tests olol and is similarly often banned.
Yerameyahu
At least that requires a 6 commlink. smile.gif
UmaroVI
You just use the Optimization program option. Empathy Software 6 with Optimization 3 is IIRC only 3300. A response/system 3 commlink you can probably get for ~1200.
Neraph
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Aug 12 2011, 07:42 AM) *
You just use the Optimization program option. Empathy Software 6 with Optimization 3 is IIRC only 3300. A response/system 3 commlink you can probably get for ~1200.

Yea, for just twice the cost of an emotitoy too.

@ the THUGS! discussion though: it all boils down to tactics. Try playing yourself some Warhammer 40,000 sometime - you'll get better at tactics. Or Go. Chess is good for beginners.

My good friend Ragewind nearly TPK'd a group of veteran players who were well versed in min/maxing characters with I think it was 5 or 7 F4 spirits because of tactics and maneuverability. Oh, and I helped build the spirits.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Aug 12 2011, 03:52 AM) *
And another question. What's the fuss about Emotitoys? I've read the entry in Arsenal, but fail to grasp their brokenness, which is often mention on the forum.

There's actually two separate issues people complain about:

1) They're way too cheap for the massive dice pool boost.

and

2) They're silly. The idea of serious runners going to a meet with a Johnson and pulling out Buddy the Bear just rubs some people the wrong way.

People who have issue 1 are likely to ban or modify Empathy software entirely. People with issue 2 are more likely to just ban Emotitoys and leave Empathy software alone.

-k
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 12 2011, 08:54 AM) *
There's actually two separate issues people complain about:

1) They're way too cheap for the massive dice pool boost.

and

2) They're silly. The idea of serious runners going to a meet with a Johnson and pulling out Buddy the Bear just rubs some people the wrong way.

People who have issue 1 are likely to ban or modify Empathy software entirely. People with issue 2 are more likely to just ban Emotitoys and leave Empathy software alone.

-k

Yeah. We ban Emotitoys completly, and use the Empathy Software as is.
Smirnov
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 12 2011, 05:49 PM) *
@ the THUGS! discussion though: it all boils down to tactics. Try playing yourself some Warhammer 40,000 sometime - you'll get better at tactics. Or Go. Chess is good for beginners.

My good friend Ragewind nearly TPK'd a group of veteran players who were well versed in min/maxing characters with I think it was 5 or 7 F4 spirits because of tactics and maneuverability. Oh, and I helped build the spirits.

I have around 15K points combined of 40K armies, not counting unopened boxes, but around 10K of them are Black Templars, so that 'tactic' thing of yours is a choice of 'we shoot first, then stab' or 'we stab first, then shoot'? biggrin.gif
But that's precicely the point why I need a sanity check about the fight. I feel that the opposition is elite and the other party is fresh from chargen, doesn't has decent equipment or a plan... and they still win. Must be something we forget to take into account smile.gif

Understood about emotitoys. Missed the part that Empathy software adds to all Social rolls, not just Judge Intent.
Neraph
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Aug 13 2011, 04:19 AM) *
I have around 15K points combined of 40K armies, not counting unopened boxes, but around 10K of them are Black Templars, so that 'tactic' thing of yours is a choice of 'we shoot first, then stab' or 'we stab first, then shoot'? biggrin.gif
But that's precicely the point why I need a sanity check about the fight. I feel that the opposition is elite and the other party is fresh from chargen, doesn't has decent equipment or a plan... and they still win. Must be something we forget to take into account smile.gif

Here's the Grunt Survival Guide; maybe it'll help. It starts slowly but gets better.
Smirnov
Sweet! Thanks!
Is there anything that wasn't discussed on Dumpshock? smile.gif
Yerameyahu
No. But we redo everything at least a hundred times just to be sure, and for each wave of new players. biggrin.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Aug 13 2011, 08:11 PM) *
Is there anything that wasn't discussed on Dumpshock? smile.gif

Ryumyo and Lung slash fiction. wink.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 13 2011, 07:13 PM) *
No. But we redo everything at least a hundred times just to be sure, and for each wave of new players. biggrin.gif

That's why I started bookmarking things.
Yerameyahu
I appreciate the object lesson in why forums suck for reference, and why people should use wikis. smile.gif
Smirnov
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 14 2011, 05:10 AM) *
Ryumyo and Lung slash fiction. wink.gif

Apparently in Street Legends they set stage for Lowfyr/Ghostwalker/Lung...
suoq
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Aug 12 2011, 07:42 AM) *

Optimization works on Program Types: Common, Hacking, Autosoft, Simsense (Unwired 115)
Empathy is Sensor Software. (Arsenal 60)

UmaroVI
Huh, I never noticed that. OK, looks like it's a bit more expensive for your +5 to all social skills, and you have to wait until after chargen to get your +6.
Neraph
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Aug 14 2011, 09:41 AM) *
Huh, I never noticed that. OK, looks like it's a bit more expensive for your +5 to all social skills, and you have to wait until after chargen to get your +6.

Not if you're an AI. It's only like a High Lifestyle for a R6 node.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Aug 14 2011, 09:48 AM) *
Apparently in Street Legends they set stage for Lowfyr/Ghostwalker/Lung...

Really? Book (I assume "Street Legends" is the title) and page?
Smirnov
It was in Lofwyr's description, p. 134. The text mentions that out of all Greats, Lofwyr is trying to ally himself with Ghostwalker and Lung
Draco18s
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Aug 14 2011, 08:38 PM) *
It was in Lofwyr's description, p. 134. The text mentions that out of all Greats, Lofwyr is trying to ally himself with Ghostwalker and Lung

Ah
Smirnov
If Spirit possesses a vessel, say, inanimate, can it use his powers?
Found out myself smile.gif
Smirnov
Is there a Karma cost to acquiring Contacts in game, or it's just plain roleplaying?
Seerow
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Aug 19 2011, 04:58 PM) *
Is there a Karma cost to acquiring Contacts in game, or it's just plain roleplaying?

Just plain roleplaying. Though some DMs may let you spend some karma to find a contact from your past that you let lapse or something like that.
Zoot
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 14 2011, 03:25 PM) *
Optimization works on Program Types: Common, Hacking, Autosoft, Simsense (Unwired 115)
Empathy is Sensor Software. (Arsenal 60)

A good point, which means you can't simply run the software on a 'link - you need the sensors to feed data to the software: at least a thermal camera, microphone (with sound filters), possibly a moisture sensor, and whatever other sensors the DM says is necessary (as a benchmark, lets say you would have to spend the same amount on sensors as you would on the equivalent level toy). If you don't have enough sensors, the effectiveness of the software is limited.

On the other hand, so the runners face does turn up to meet a johnson with Teddy Ruxspin sat on his shoulder...
Options:
The johnson says "get lost you clown"
The johnson says "please deactivate your toy"
The johnson cuts his starting offer in half
The johnson also has an r6 toy on his shoulder
The johnsons hacker interferes with your toy, maybe giving you a penalty on your negotiation*

*how many faces out there have actually asked the hacker to load up the toy with IC and a decent firewall??

Another thing, why would anyone think an Emotitoy would be useful in negotiations with a spirit? The toy is designed to read human physiological responses none of which are displayed be a materialised spirit (unless maybe it has the Realistic power). IMO. YMMV. Blah.

HunterHerne
QUOTE (Zoot @ Aug 21 2011, 02:32 PM) *
Another thing, why would anyone think an Emotitoy would be useful in negotiations with a spirit? The toy is designed to read human physiological responses none of which are displayed be a materialised spirit (unless maybe it has the Realistic power). IMO. YMMV. Blah.

This is very true, and can translate to other species as well. If you are talking to a Wolf shifter with his mouth open and toungue hanging out, he's hot, and panting to relieve some heat (as wolves and other canines do); for a human, maybe they are making fun of you, or just have dry lips. If a Naga opens it's mouth at you in the same way, they are threatening you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012