Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Share your Heavy Response Teams
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 3 2011, 06:50 PM) *
Thank you for serving but I think that experience is going to work against you here for a simple reason:
The USMC is not (I hope) a profit-maximizing corporation.
A Megacorp is. They're going to minimize costs wherever they can, even if it leads to increased deaths at one of their facilities. The HRT will only get as much funding as the corp would lose from shadowruns if they downgraded the HRT to have weaker gear/ware. I'm not discussing a corp having or not having an HRT. I'm discussing how effective that HRT team is going to be given certain cost restraints. Let me put this in more concrete terms.

Let's presume the average SR has 3 IP. A corp can easily afford to upgrade all their HRT teams from Wired Reflexes II to Wired Reflexes III, which will give the HRT a significant advantage over the shadowrunners. However, since you probably need alphaware due to essence restrictions, there's an increased cost of nuyen.gif 168,000 per person to upgrade the team from Wired Reflexes II to Alphaware Wired Reflexes III. Over 30 people (2 HRTs), that's a bit over 5 million nuyen. Will that increased capability save the megacorp an extra five million nuyen? If not, the HRT will not get it.

In business terms, it's actually worse than that. If the corp could reinvest that 5 million nuyen into another factory, then for the HRT to get those Alphaware Wired Reflexes III, they need to save the corp an additional 5 million nuyen over what they would have saved the corp if they only had Wired Reflexes II, plus whatever profits that potential factory would have made.

I'm adding my $0.02. You'd think that. But lets suppose the potential profit for all the research in the response time area? If it is in the billions of nuyen (and for megacorps they are looking at profits in the billions), then the highly trained force costing 50 million would not be too far fetched. Also, some of those costs are sunk costs not related to ongoing expenses. And they are going to be "the best of the best of the best". The corp is not going to give alphaware grade wired reflexes III to some grunt strait out of boot camp. He's going to give it to the grunt who has had a few scrapes, is motivated to protect mother corp, and has the aptitude for this kind of work. Also there is PR angle to this and profits from Desert Wars to think about!

Yea if it is a small project worth only a couple million to the corp---they are probably going to be cheap on the security.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Aug 4 2011, 11:24 AM) *
Yea if it is a small project worth only a couple million to the corp---they are probably going to be cheap on the security.

But even so, if that small project is in the area the HTRT is designated to respond in, then a few men may get allocated to it. Certainly not the full squad, just in case something else happens, but 3-4 men to scout and take down a small group, if possible, is not a bad investment.

The thing is, HTRT might be a multi million nuyen investment. But they likely protect several reasearch facilities in a given area that have hundred million, or multi-billion forecasts.
suoq
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Aug 4 2011, 09:48 AM) *
The thing is, HTRT might be a multi million nuyen investment. But they likely protect several reasearch facilities in a given area that have hundred million, or multi-billion forecasts.

This may be a weakness of the HTRT team that the shadowrunners can exploit.
It may also be a weakness of the HTRT team that some other team of runners are using the shadowrunners to exploit.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 4 2011, 11:55 AM) *
This may be a weakness of the HTRT team that the shadowrunners can exploit.
It may also be a weakness of the HTRT team that some other team of runners are using the shadowrunners to exploit.

Which is exactly what I was thinking as I wrote it.
MikeKozar
Spirit HRT

All this assumes that the corp goes for a strictly physical response. I like the idea of the cybersam team hitting the PCs, I think doing anything else is less fun, but consider the astral angle. If I were going for a TPK, I would just have the corp page every contracted wagemage in North America and have them send the biggest spirit they can summon on short notice. If we give them a full ten rounds to do the summoning, instruct the spirit, and have the spirit travel astrally to the facility, we're looking at something like 30 seconds from the alarm going off to a nightmare. Spirits are hard to kill, fast to arrive, eminently expendable and can be replaced in under a minute, not to mention bringing things like binding, fear, and elemental attack. Consider that the corp is probably has enough mages on staff that if just half of them pause for a minute and summon, you would see a *lot* of spirits, and no additional cost for running a HRT.

I'm not sure how other GMs handle spirits, but I pretty much have to pretend they don't exist. From a strategic POV they look a lot like God-mode. Vengeful, Old Testament God-mode.
Warlordtheft
Thing to remember about spirits is that the players are going to go through stick and shock like crazy biggrin.gif . But for the most part, the corp could be sending force 4 spirits ad nauseum. Force 5 and 6 might happen on occasion, and above that only rarely. THe main reason is, most mages are probably a 4 in the magic attribute and they aren't going to risk that asset. Also, spirits being summoned in othe parts of the continent could prove problematic. They might run into something and it would probably take something along the lines of bug city to bring out that kind of response.
Traul
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Aug 4 2011, 06:36 PM) *
Spirit HRT

All this assumes that the corp goes for a strictly physical response. I like the idea of the cybersam team hitting the PCs, I think doing anything else is less fun, but consider the astral angle. If I were going for a TPK, I would just have the corp page every contracted wagemage in North America and have them send the biggest spirit they can summon on short notice. If we give them a full ten rounds to do the summoning, instruct the spirit, and have the spirit travel astrally to the facility, we're looking at something like 30 seconds from the alarm going off to a nightmare. Spirits are hard to kill, fast to arrive, eminently expendable and can be replaced in under a minute, not to mention bringing things like binding, fear, and elemental attack. Consider that the corp is probably has enough mages on staff that if just half of them pause for a minute and summon, you would see a *lot* of spirits, and no additional cost for running a HRT.

I'm not sure how other GMs handle spirits, but I pretty much have to pretend they don't exist. From a strategic POV they look a lot like God-mode. Vengeful, Old Testament God-mode.

How do you give them the address? There is no Google map in the Astral.
HunterHerne
I assume there is going to be at least one mage connected to the HTRT, that has at least sent a spirit to scout and maybe try softening up the team, followed very closely by scout drones. The actual team only makes a move to intercept the intruders once the Mage and rigger check in, whether the fight is continuing, or the drones and spirit(s) are disposed of.

Some corps might have a mage or two on the HTRT on a permanent basis, most likely Aztechnology, Wuxing and S-K. Others might rotate a mage into the squads, similar to how a wage-mage might have to do on-site security once in a while. MCT, I doubt would have a mage on any HTRT, as they are too valuable, and MCT has a penchant for mechanical security, especially Drones. But back them up with a spirit, and they can be a force to be reconed with, without putting a mage in immediate danger.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Aug 4 2011, 10:44 AM) *
Thing to remember about spirits is that the players are going to go through stick and shock like crazy biggrin.gif . But for the most part, the corp could be sending force 4 spirits ad nauseum. Force 5 and 6 might happen on occasion, and above that only rarely. THe main reason is, most mages are probably a 4 in the magic attribute and they aren't going to risk that asset. Also, spirits being summoned in othe parts of the continent could prove problematic. They might run into something and it would probably take something along the lines of bug city to bring out that kind of response.

I don't see why a Wuxing research team in New York couldn't pop a few spirits and have them fly to Seattle; the writeup on astral travel talks about going around the world fairly easily, so why not just fly above any obstructions? Why couldn't they do it? (Honest question, I feel like I missed your point.)

QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 4 2011, 11:00 AM) *
How do you give them the address? There is no Google map in the Astral.

Details that could be easily sorted out by a sophisticated command and control center - assuming the mages are getting orders via AR, whatever info would be required to communicate location could be sent, whether a simulated flight video that the mage could thought-send, or specific directions like "1235.21 miles from this point at exactly 275.1432`, talk to the man named Captain Venkman and follow his orders as you would mine."

Honestly, I want this plan to be impossible, but I worry that spirits per RAW are too badly unbalanced to handwave. For me, the idea that a military response force *wouldn't* be entirely combat spirits strains belief.
Warlordtheft
Cause they might be stopped at the Suiox or Salish border and just zotted for target practice if detected. The fact is there is no IFF in the astral, and more than likely the sovereign nations would object to such intrusions and blast them out of the astral sky. Also if traced back to Wuxing, it might cause wuxing some embarassment in terms of PR as to why they needed 100 spirits in seattle. Explaining that a research facility was under attack by terrorists would mean that the reasearch facility existed that contained something valuable enough to protect in such a manner.

I agree the response could be massive depending on the corp, but for the most part game wise I could see them sending a dozen or so spirits to defend the facilility pretty easily. Also I agree that this does get into the "do I want a TPK?" territory pretty quickly.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Aug 4 2011, 10:34 PM) *
Cause they might be stopped at the Suiox or Salish border and just zotted for target practice if detected.

This is why there's such a thing as metaplanar shortcuts.
toturi
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Aug 5 2011, 08:21 AM) *
This is why there's such a thing as metaplanar shortcuts.

IIRC, metaplanar shortcuts are quite limited. Can the spirit shortcut to a location it's never been to before? Or do all summoned spirits get shown around all the sites they could be deployed to beforehand? "Hey, boss, I'm taking my posse for the orientation flight. Give Seattle a call, I got a headache smacking my head on a ward the last time!"

One problem I can foresee with giving highly specific instructions to a spirit is that it needs to be intelligent enough to comprehend and execute and whether the spirit was well treated/abused.
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
I thought street magic cleared that one up? Isnt it specifically mentioned that the spirit may only shortcut to places that it or its summoner has specifically been?
Mardrax
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 5 2011, 02:36 AM) *
One problem I can foresee with giving highly specific instructions to a spirit is that it needs to be intelligent enough to comprehend and execute and whether the spirit was well treated/abused.

Spirits have F worth of mental stats. They're more intelligent than the average human.
Also, as long as they have tasks remaining, they're going to do whatever you tell them, no questions asked. Even if you tell them to sit still while mister Blood spirit devours their karma.

The question is of course wether you told it what you want specifically enough. The badly treated ones might just take a different but equally valid interpretation of your order.

QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Aug 5 2011, 03:04 AM) *
I thought street magic cleared that one up? Isnt it specifically mentioned that the spirit may only shortcut to places that it or its summoner has specifically been?

So every summoner in the region has a trip around a number of key locations, or even all facilities in the region, or country, on being hired.
Low investment, high return on added safety.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Aug 4 2011, 10:08 PM) *
Spirits have F worth of mental stats. They're more intelligent than the average human.
Also, as long as they have tasks remaining, they're going to do whatever you tell them, no questions asked. Even if you tell them to sit still while mister Blood spirit devours their karma.

The question is of course wether you told it what you want specifically enough. The badly treated ones might just take a different but equally valid interpretation of your order.

Yeah... most summoned spirits don't have much karma (especially if you're using BP character gen), and even if they did, forcing a spirit to take that would be a bad idea, if I were GMing. Pretty much every spirit you summon afterwards is going to be a nuisance, using edge to resist, and forcing you to use more tasks for things that normally wouldn't require it.
Mardrax
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Aug 5 2011, 03:13 AM) *
Yeah... most summoned spirits don't have much karma (especially if you're using BP character gen), and even if they did, forcing a spirit to take that would be a bad idea, if I were GMing. Pretty much every spirit you summon afterwards is going to be a nuisance, using edge to resist, and forcing you to use more tasks for things that normally wouldn't require it.

No one said it was smart.
Then again, that Blood shaman might just be using other spirits to feed his pet Barney, purple eater of souls, and ally spirit.
Also, what does your form of chargen have to do with how much karma spirits you pull from their homeplane have? 0_o

Even though mages tend to treat them like nameless fodder, spirits have lives too. Do stuff to earn karma, make a pact here or there to earn some. All to make them grow from tiny F1 spirits to those mighty F8s that have people cry wolf at possession spirits. There's no reason why they'd be more or less likely to have any than your average person.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Aug 4 2011, 10:22 PM) *
No one said it was smart.
Then again, that Blood shaman might just be using other spirits to feed his pet Barney, purple eater of souls, and ally spirit.
Also, what does your form of chargen have to do with how much karma spirits you pull from their homeplane have? 0_o

Even though mages tend to treat them like nameless fodder, spirits have lives too. Do stuff to earn karma, make a pact here or there to earn some. All to make them grow from tiny F1 spirits to those mighty F8s that have people cry wolf at possession spirits. There's no reason why they'd be more or less likely to have any than your average person.

Except that in Street Magic, it says free spirits (and hence I'd have to assume most spirits on their home plane) can't earn karma, and must either get it gifted from others, or take it (such as the afore mentioned blood spirit). The build point thing was just my personal thing. I tend to create a lot of NPC character sheets, from people the current team may meet, to people that only appear on news feeds, including free spirits. Not necessarily important to most people.
toturi
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Aug 5 2011, 09:08 AM) *
Also, as long as they have tasks remaining, they're going to do whatever you tell them, no questions asked.

I have no doubt that the higher Force spirits are likely to be smarter than the average human, but just because the spirit is smarter doesn't mean that it is any more able to successfully execute its orders. As long as the spirits have tasks remaining, the spirits will do as they are instructed, unless the order is something that they are unable to comply with - not within their capability to.
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Aug 4 2011, 05:08 PM) *
So every summoner in the region has a trip around a number of key locations, or even all facilities in the region, or country, on being hired.
Low investment, high return on added safety.

Right so joe schmoe wage mage has the clearance to see the nice new deltaware-cyborg facility? Opening up that kind of access allows for even MOOORE exploitation.

I wouldnt think this would be relevant for the high-sec, no-one knows they exist places.
PoliteMan
Quick question (I don't usually play mages):

Presumably this facility is going to be heavily warded. I'm not sure exactly how much control the creators have over who can pass through their wards, p.194 from SRA4 makes it seem like even the mages own spirits couldn't automatically pass through, but it seems likely that series of wards that would allow dozens of spirits from who knows how many different traditions to pass through is either impossible or a gigantic security hole. And more mundane security features like biofiber won't allow them in at all.

I'm not big on magic but it seems like a spirit HRT team would require the facility to basically shut down their magical security just to let them in.
PoliteMan
I am big on double-posting though.
Aku
I thought whoever created the ward could allow permissions to whoever they wanted
toturi
QUOTE (Aku @ Aug 5 2011, 11:34 AM) *
I thought whoever created the ward could allow permissions to whoever they wanted

Yes, the creator of the ward can allow whoever they wish to pass through. If he knew to allow them to pass through.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 5 2011, 01:41 AM) *
Yes, the creator of the ward can allow whoever they wish to pass through. If he knew to allow them to pass through.

Which I would assume would only be on-site paranimals, and maybe the astral sig of the corps local mages, including HTRT linked ones.
PoliteMan
Well, you could extend it to a variety of corp mages at different locations, which would give you an effective spirit HRT team. However, it seems like it would also make all your facilities vulnerable to someone with Flexible Signature. Whether the benefits outweigh the costs, *shrug*
Aku
This is one splace SR4/a fell flat, compared to 3. in 3, it explicitly said if you summon 3 of the same type of spirits, you get bob, jane, and sue (spirit threesome!). Next time, if you summon only 2 spirits, you get bob and jane (in that order), if on yet another occassion, you summon 4, you get bob, jane, sue, and a spirit to be named at that time, SR$/a has no such stipulation, so we dont really know if we get the same or different spirits every time we summon, afaik
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Aku @ Aug 5 2011, 08:56 AM) *
This is one splace SR4/a fell flat, compared to 3. in 3, it explicitly said if you summon 3 of the same type of spirits, you get bob, jane, and sue (spirit threesome!). Next time, if you summon only 2 spirits, you get bob and jane (in that order), if on yet another occassion, you summon 4, you get bob, jane, sue, and a spirit to be named at that time, SR$/a has no such stipulation, so we dont really know if we get the same or different spirits every time we summon, afaik

I've just assumed it to be a random spirit you summon. One that likely doesn't know what happened before. Unless it's bound, then I encourage players to give them a name (and will name NPC mage bound spirits)
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Aug 5 2011, 07:46 AM) *
Which I would assume would only be on-site paranimals, and maybe the astral sig of the corps local mages, including HTRT linked ones.

And the spirits of any Mages on the HTRT nearby. This is probably the real reason you wouldn't get agent smith'd by the spirits of the corps. They figure all the HTRTs in the local response area (and maybe some from elsewhere in the metroplex) could be allowed in. Any more and the costs get prohibitive. Also, IFF for spirits attacking people on site could get tricky. Freindly fire isn't.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Aug 5 2011, 06:06 AM) *
And the spirits of any Mages on the HTRT nearby. This is probably the real reason you wouldn't get agent smith'd by the spirits of the corps. They figure all the HTRTs in the local response area (and maybe some from elsewhere in the metroplex) could be allowed in. Any more and the costs get prohibitive. Also, IFF for spirits attacking people on site could get tricky. Freindly fire isn't.

The section on wards in the SR4A book is thin. It says that the ward's creator can allow people through at will, that they know if someone is attempting to get through, and that warding a location requires no special materials.

From that we can infer that whichever wagemage was responsible for putting up the barrier is also going to be contracted to call security when the ward is attacked; it seems like a feature that site security would want, and would be willing to negotiate for. (Of course, Corp negotiations tend to be along the lines of "Nice SIN. Shame if something happened to it.") So, assume that corps want the warding mage on call, and make sure that happens.

Since there are no special materials, it sounds like we don't need blood, hair, or some other physical link to provide a 'key' - if there is a method for permanent passive access, it is not explicitly called out. We don't know if the warding mage needs to shake hands with every person getting passive access so they can add their astral signature or something. What we *do* know is that the mage can open the ward at will, and that he owns a phone.

So, maybe there could be an astral "guest list", but let's go ahead and assume the least efficient scenario - every time somebody hits the ward, the mage taps a button to ping the site's security office. When the contact is valid, like some executive with a sustained Enhance Charisma, the site's security office verifies the person at the gate is credentialed and pings the mage back to allow entry.

I don't see any reason why this system would be particularly expensive to run, or in any way unreasonable for a corp security setup. The practical offshoot is that if the corp attack spirit is at the ward, the summoner knows through the spirit/summoner link and pings the office, who ping the warding mage, who lets the spirit in.

Regarding friendly fire, this is another case of being able to explain things clearly to the spirit, which is something the corporation has time to work out in advance. Off the top of my head, it could be a command like "Subdue anyone in that building who is carrying a firearm and not dressed in a corporate uniform like mine", but the limits are really just how complex a command the spirit can understand, how much time the commander has to explain, and if the spirit can just watch a prepared set of instructions flash on a screen complete with photos of staff not to be killed. There's an old joke about a gamer who gets a wish from a genie, and pulls out a two-inch thick document that he had his attorney prepare, just in case. The thing about corps is that they have functionally unlimited resources in this game, and that includes having people do prep work for this kind of scenario.

By the way, I checked my math and having New York offices summon for a HRT in Seattle is less effective then I thought. Based on Astral travel speeds listed in SR4A, that trip would take 40 minutes, so assume the two-minute spirit response is just in the metroplex.
Mardrax
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 5 2011, 01:56 PM) *
Well, you could extend it to a variety of corp mages at different locations, which would give you an effective spirit HRT team. However, it seems like it would also make all your facilities vulnerable to someone with Flexible Signature. Whether the benefits outweigh the costs, *shrug*

You're thinking of masking. It's about auras, not spell signatures.
And yes, but you'd need to have seen the aura of something with access rights. Which you might just copy off a patrolling spirit. That's quite a hefty Masking test though.
Omenowl
Drones with spiders are more than capable of handling 99.99% of incidents. Onsite security is to ensure lockdown, investigate issues, stop minor infractions such as a fist fight, etc. Mages would give backup to the spiders. This is more than enough to give shadowrunners hell and to handle all, but the most extreme incidents. As most sites do not have extraterritoriality there should not be issues with having Knight Errant/Lonestar arrive to back them up with their own SWAT teams.

Now for extraterritoriality site that is an entirely different issue. Now they are protecting not only their corporation, but also their citizens and their families. Any projectiles, explosives, etc leaving the site they are responsible for and if it should hit a citizen in another corporate property with extraterritoriality then you may have a war. They also have to deal with benefits such as healthcare, security, insurance, etc. Kill 10 employees and wound another 20 and they maybe looking at millions of yen losses, losses in productivity, a shaken faith by their workforce. As dystopian as shadowrun is, we cannot assume people suddenly don't care about their families or friends. PTSD can absolutely cripple a research team. So an HTR team will do their absolute best to instill faith into the workforce.

Now all bets are off at a secret facility where the goal of the HTR is to make sure no one leaves the area alive because of the nature of the research (WMDs, cyberzombies, etc.). The public outrage and required cleanup costs would far exceed destroying the facility.

Still an HTR is a highly valuable and expensive asset. 4-5 teams (assumes a 24/7 coverage by at least one team at any given time) each with 12-18 members will cost 15-22 million yen per year in salary, training and benefits. Plus equipment which is probably in the range of 10s to 100s of millions of yen. My bet is most companies have hired an HTR group which is shared by several companies. This way the cost is distributed and the risk is much less.
Aku
So, which do you think would help maintain morale/limit PTSD more, once a building is locked down? The presumed cold hard accuracy of the drones? or seeing the HRt team moving through the hallways?

My bet is most companies have hired an HTR group which is shared by several companies. This way the cost is distributed and the risk is much less.

I disagree with this. One, if you start an HTR company, then the company itself needs to make money as well, so the savings would be minimal. Secondly, While they may be available to low risk locations, I would think a company would keep its higher risk locations privatized, and once you have that established theres no reason to sell off the security for lower risk.
suoq
I troubled by the thought that AAA or AA companies have HRT from other companies on-call.

1) This implies that the company EXPECTS to need a HRT team, i.e. that they don't trust their security.
2) This creates an opportunity for the HRT company or for anyone who can infiltrate the HRT company to get someone into the first company's facility. i.e. the very existance of the contract of the HRT team could be considered an invitation to an event.

I'm much more comfortable with the thought that if an event happens AND the company finds itself unable to cope, then calls are quickly made to organizations that deal with these sorts of problems on a rapid basis. I can see such a firm contracting out as insurance to small firms (to cover their day-to-day), but not with the larger corporations who should have their own private firms that they own, not subcontract to.

This also has the appeal to me that I don't have a fixed, predictable, response team. I like options.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Omenowl @ Aug 6 2011, 01:12 PM) *
My bet is most companies have hired an HTR group which is shared by several companies. This way the cost is distributed and the risk is much less.

Depends on the corp rating. A+ corp, sure, AA corp, maybe, AAA, unlikely. I mean, KS provides corp security but I can't see them providing security to SK, or the Azzies, or...or any megacorp really.
Ascalaphus
It depends a bit on the kind of facility, and on where;

1) A city where a corporation has multiple valuable locations. They'd station an HTR in the local headquarters, and it can be dispatched to any of the other locations as needed.

2) Low-value facility far from the corporation's home grounds: they'd subcontract a local firm to provide HTR if the situation ever came up.

3) A secret facility: HTR on-site, because flying it in as-needed is impractical. It might have a self-destruct mechanism in case all else fails.

4) Isolated high-value facility: likely HTR is stationed on-site, because this facility is too important to let in outsider HTRs (risk of espionage).

In general, corporations like scenario 1 best; a good HTR team is expensive. In fact, an HTR team is extremely expensive, because it needs to be able to deal with a wide range of emergencies, each of which is unlikely to occur. It's very unlikely multiple emergencies will occur. So to keep costs reasonable, a region would have a handful of HTRTs that service all the corp's facilities in the region.

What does all this mean for runners?

In case 3, it's just tough luck. Case 4 isn't too great either, although there's less reason for the corporation to have, say, a nuke buried under the facility to destroy evidence if security is compromised.

In case 1 and 2 however, you could actually divert HTR teams by creating a distraction on other facilities in those HTRTs' "service area". This is what alliances with crazy street gangs like the Halloweeners are good for.

On the other hand, particularly in cases 1 and 2, the facility may (apart from HTR) also have a "stalling response" (SR), designed to keep intruders from escaping before HTR arrives. This would be blast doors closing, lots of radio jamming/wifi inhibition to cut off runners from communicating with each other and their drones. Also: hatches sliding open and drones emerging (piloted by offsite spider) to keep runners busy. Maybe remote mages who hover in the astral while their spirits with Magical Guard materialize to provide counterspelling to the drones.

SR isn't nearly as intense as HTR, but it should give PCs a sense of urgency; they need to get past it before HTR arrives. It's the fight-your-way-out battle that a run ought to have, if the PCs get detected, but it's not a TPK thing. The objective is clear: run the gauntlet and get out, because if HTR gets there you're toast.

HTR could definitely be overwhelming, but you'd rarely get to see them. SR swinging in to lock you in, should be the warning sign players need to tell them that it's time to run. (This to the objection that "running from the HTR only works if you know HTR is on its way".)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 5 2011, 04:56 AM) *

Flexible Signature does not allow you to bypass a ward, it only allows you to alter your Signature. Bypassing wards is the provence of Masking alone.
Omenowl
I think most companies have several small sites or those of low importance and would have a contract HTR for those. IE docks with warehouses, multiple use office buildings, etc.

A centralized HTR for several sites, which in of themselves don't have enough to justify an HTR, but as a conglomerate do, would have a corporate HTR.

Top secret facilities or extraterritoriality locations would have their own onsite HTR.

Highly dangerous or critical sites that would cripple the company would have several HTRs with the capability of calling several others to arrive within hours.

These last two are what people view as the archetypical shadowrun, but honestly in my view those are campaign ending /retirement runs. It is a final climax with a TPK or where the players get so much money it no longer has the challenge. Regardless of the outcome everyone knows the campaign is coming to an end and people are ready to move on.

The first two are the bread and butter missions of shadowrunners. It is where they learn the tricks of the trade, garner enemies and friends, get better equipment, and the skills (karma) to pull off the legendary runs.
Brainpiercing7.62mm
I'm having problems with some of the scenarios posted here:

@ HTRT on site: This should be limited to head-quarters or headquarters of security, because the HTRTs are being stationed there.

For secret production/research facilities it doesn't seem to make sense, because their prime defense is their secrecy: They don't want a lot of traffic going in or out, they don't want more personel there than necessary, and keeping just one elite team ready and trained is a major drain on any facility. I would say that most secret facilities should rely on drones and spirits for defense.

For high value production or research facilities, I would expect regular corpsec to be well staffed and equipped. But keeping an HTR team on site seems like overkill, and unnecessary expense.

So I believe a corp that has an HTR team must keep that in a central location within airlift reach of their high-value facilities.

@ Renting an HTRT: Why not? This is business, after all, and business knows no loyalty. Certainly AAAs or even AA+s might have their own, but I don't think too many other corps will. A dedicated security company with no known interest in similar fields of business as the customer is a small enough risk, and the gains are potentially very great. Highly rated security firms could easily rent out their elite troops, since they would hardly ever see enough "use" if they were just used for their own private business. So it is highly probable that many corps without an HTRT of their own will request one from an external source.

Again I think response times of 10 minutes are not realistic, but 30 minutes is possible around big cities, and 60 minutes for more remote installations.

Grades of HTR:

Corpsec in general has one problem: A security guard is ideally quite inconspicuous, while still being effective and efficient at his job. Now, like street cops, it doesn't really help to have everyone run around in heavy armour and with automatic weapons - if anything, that's a security risk.

So, I propose that the first line of increased threat response is not a real HTRT, but rather, a group of regular corpsec guards who are handed out special equipment. Just giving a regular goon heavy armour, an assault rifle and a shot of a given combat drug will dramatically increase his effectiveness for a while - long enough until the real contenders arrive. A lot of police forces really do the same: They can't afford to put every cop on the street with body armour and a big gun, and they also can't afford to keep so many SWAT teams or similar only on call and off street duty. So when a situation arrises they simply recall a select group of regular cops and outfit them with SWAT gear. These special corpsec guards try to contain the threat, while the real HTRT is en route.

That should make for more dramatic fights when trying to escape from a facility.

HunterHerne
I disagree with the HTRT being on-site for secret research facilities, as well. The biggest line of defence is secrecy, however, having a good security helps, when something eventually goes wrong. For this, the regular corpsec might have better gear then at another facility, but HTRT, if needed, would get the call, and likely arrive too late. Then it's a matter of internal investigations. For secret bases, it may be prudent to give regular security forces the equivalent of Home-ground, after all, in order to get the job there, they are either highly motivated to do their job, on it's own; or they are highly motivated to do their job because if they don't, no one will find the body.
Warlordtheft
In a secret facility I would place fewer guards, but higher quality ones. Also if the secret facility has a front then there may be more guards.

HTRTs to me would be onsite security for corp zero zones, special facilities like HQs or Arcologies. The could also be the base from which an HTRT would respond to another facility.

KarmaInferno
Ultra-secret facilities are where the cyberzombie security teams live.

smile.gif

-k
Omenowl
Most secret locations would be known. The secret part would be the type of experiments and activities actually occurring there. And you are right the quality of guards would be superior compared to other layered defenses of other facilities. Many secret locations would probably have their own underground ranges, training grounds, etc. The guards probably have several different responses, but access to every threat range of weapon. That said is you don't need or can afford the cost of an HTR for 95-99% of facilities.

The other issue we need to remember is corps probably have insurance. So a third party HTR may actually be the insurance corp's team who decided the liability is worth having their own team on call to protect the facility.
Midas
All these doubts about the economic viability of HTRTs, which are a part of SR canon! Some of you folks just aren't thinking big enough or dystopian enough, IMHO.

OK, first up the Megacorps are huge. Think GM, Ford and Boeing rolled into one and you are probably talking about a smaller megacorp. They are huge behemoths of corporations with economies larger than most countries and a tangled web of diversified interests, from food to tech to entertainment as well as whatever they are famous for. AAA megas will have multiple facilities in every city, as well as a raft of subsidiaries. This makes HTRT very feasible. Smaller corps will probably subcontract HTRT forces from parent corps or from specialists such as Lone Star and Knight Errant who have enough personnel to turn a buck on providing HTRT overlay.

As for expenses for running such forces? Milspec armour, big guns and drones are cheap and largely one-off investments. Cyberware/bioware for HTRT personnel will come at wholesale prices cheaper than laid out in the book; personnel may well be encouraged to buy SOTA 'ware from their salaries for the corp win. With all the wars in SR canon, the sixth world is awash with ex-military folks looking for a quieter, less lethal life. Corps will recruit the lowlier ranks as security guards and the elites as HTRT a la Haliburton, getting highly trained individuals without having to pay a single nuyen for their military training. OK, granted the corp will have to spend some on retraining these guys for their new jobs, but this costs much less than training up someone from scratch.

As for salaries, they won't necessarily be so high. Again, as per SR canon, wageslaves put up with a lot of crap because of the security the corp provides for them and their families. Not having to worry that your wife/hubby will get shot in a driveby on the way to buy groceries, or the knowledge that little Jimmy will get an education at the corp school (as opposed to no education) is priceless. This security is a big reason that wageslaves put up with all the shit the corp throws at them, and why they accept the demanding boss and the long hours they are exhorted to work. Granted HTRT guys would be paid a pretty good salary, but not as much as you might think. Around 15K a month (what HTRT guys would expect to be paid in my universe) keeps a family in a high lifestyle and allows them to put some money away as savings. And remember when you calculate this salary cost, they are paid in corp script which can be used to buy corp-made products and services (with inbuilt profits to recycle into the corp coffers).

Granted running costs for an HTRT facility won't be cheap, but nor will they be extortionately expensive for a mega with 30+ facilities to look after. Most megas will probably have a number of HTRT facilities to cover each sprawl and get the specialists to most facilities in 10 mins or less, but YMMV.
PoliteMan
I obviously didn't clarify this well enough, my bad.

HRTs exist, there's no doubt, they're in the fluff and there's great story reasons to have an "elite" corp fighting force.

The disagreement, from my point of view, was whether the kind of "super HRT team" I thought some people were discussing is feasible, the kind that is an automatic TPK for the party. Just off gear, you're probably looking at 250k a person to match your typical Sam; over a team of, bare minimum, 30 HRT personnel that's a pretty chunk of change and it gets much more expensive if you try to make them better than the Sam because you've hit the Essence wall, now you need to start upgrading things to Alpha or Betaware just to fit new ware in. Add in the fact that they need a ton of support, super-fast transports, Matrix and Magical support, etc and you start to get a force which is simply too expensive for any but the most elite facilities. Other facilities are probably going to have HRT teams, they're just not that good.

It's kind of like Robocop. Yes, Robocop is awesome but wouldn't it be cheaper and more effective just to hire a hundred regular cops? You really only need one Robocop, if that.
suoq
My problem with the on-site Heavy Response Team and expense is not that the corps can't afford it. Obviously, they can.

But if you can afford X nuyen to have a Heavy Response Team on-site wouldn't it be better to spend X-1 nuyen on not needing to have a heavy response team on-site?

For example, in the Omaha write-up I just finished there are 12 secret facilities surrounding the city of Lincoln Nebraska. This type of secret facility exists across much of the US already, a Denver based campaign has options at least as good. They're easy to guard, ward, cut off from hackers, and prevent unwanted access to and they're cheap as heck. Heck, they come nuclear hardened.

From a GM perspective, they're already mapped with published layouts, meaning much of your work and justification is already complete.

These existing facilities are already as brutal to a team of shadowrunners as you need them to be without the constant ongoing expense of on-site heavy response teams rotating shifts with their butts nursing their thumbs.

sample links:
http://www.missilebases.com/properties
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDcnbevOy8
HunterHerne
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 8 2011, 09:59 AM) *
My problem with the on-site Heavy Response Team and expense is not that the corps can't afford it. Obviously, they can.

But if you can afford X nuyen to have a Heavy Response Team on-site wouldn't it be better to spend X-1 nuyen on not needing to have a heavy response team on-site?

For example, in the Omaha write-up I just finished there are 12 secret faculties surrounding the city of Lincoln Nebraska. This type of secret facility exists across much of the US already, a Denver based campaign has options at least as good. They're easy to guard, ward, cut off from hackers, and prevent unwanted access to and they're cheap as heck. Heck, they come nuclear hardened.

From a GM perspective, they're already mapped with published layouts, meaning much of your work and justification is already complete.

These existing facilities are already as brutal to a team of shadowrunners as you need them to be without the constant ongoing expense of on-site heavy response teams rotating shifts with their butts nursing their thumbs.

sample links:
http://www.missilebases.com/properties
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDcnbevOy8

I agree. I don't think on-site HTRT is a good idea, ever. The HTRT should be a group of teams that respond to several locations (if there are multiple threats at several facilities, they can call in an off-duty group. There are on-call people at most jobs these days, anyway. Likely more chance of that in a dystopia.). The size of each team (3-5 depending on how many facilities they are actually responsible for) should be about 8, and highly trained.

For the secret facilities, 10-15 well trained guards with basic gear, and heavier gear in accessible locations (hidden compartments with bio-scanner locks and codes), for when they absolutely need it. HTRT shouldn't be necessary. Especially since they'll have extra-territoriality, and the intrusion shouldn't be able to escape (easily) once the alarm goes off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012