Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Share your Heavy Response Teams
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Aug 2 2011, 08:55 AM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
I'm familiar with the scenario, as I'm prior service military myself. And you'll notice that my post does point out that home-field advantage SHOULD be assumed for on-site security, not just HTR. I am giving on-site security more credit, relative to HTR, than other posters.

My point is that, when you've got speed, stealth, firepower, and a good plan on your side, you can introduce a lot of entropy to the system in a hurry if in need. Still being there when the alarm sounds is Bad News, for sure, but it's time to GTFO, not to shrug and set off the cranial bomb because you're already dead. That is the level of screwed you are when Faelan's version of HTR shows up, and my question is, if HTR is capable of that, why is the on-site security, with as many advantages, something you can fight your way past if things go pear-shaped? Once you accept Faelan's premise of invincible HTR bringing inevitable death or capture, logically, all the other corporate opposition is nearly as capable, so you will never escape if you ever sound the alarm. Never bother taking a combat skill, because it is complete stealth or ruin. This is not a Shadowrun I want to play in.

No, I get what you are saying. I am in agreement that when things go south, you should be looking to leave, rather than hunkering down for the long haul. The skills all have their places. My contention is that Actively fighting your way into, and then out of, the Facility is going to be a losing proposition. Fighting should almost always be the last resort, because ONCE THE ALARM HAS SOUNDED, well, your clock is ticking and you just do not have that much time to clear the area before there is just too much opposition for you to handle.

I do not agree that HTRT's are invincible, but they do tend to have resources and training on their side. Eventually, assumming that you stay the course and do not vacate, you will be outnumbered, out resourced, and out gunned. It really is that simple. Now, sometimes, your plans will include such contingencies (when they are viable), and you may just WANT that scenario to happen so that you can disappear in the confusion, but that will not always work (probably much less often than you would like, actually).

Though really, I do have to agree that if you're fighting for 15-20 minutes or so, you're probably stuck and therefore screwed, whether or not HTR is called. It's the alleged infallibility of HTR itself that's getting under my skin.

@Aku, again I remind you that on-site security for a sensitive location is not made up of TV mall cops who don't care to see what's in front of them.

Indeed... Time is your enemy once an alarm has sounded.

As for On-Site Security. Yes, it is a boring job, and it is really easy to get distracted. BUT, when you are employing Security for a High-Level, Secure Facility (you know, the ones that the Shadowrunners are often hired to penetreate), you do not employ Mall Cops. Your Security Forces are going to be highly trained individuals, who minimize, or eliminate, such distractions, because they are PAID to be professional and competent. If they are not, they will lose their jobs (and likely their lives if penetrated). This is a STRONG incentive to perform well. Places with this level of security do not put guards on watch for 12 hours at a whack. When I was A Guard at Marine Barracks Fallbrook, We stood 4 hour watches, with 3 rotations. In comparison, when I worked security, post military service, my watches were 12 hours long. Guess which job I was more alert at.

Security Forces do their job or people get hurt/killed. It is just that simple. Are mistakes made? Of course. But it generally happens when shifts become to long, or too routine. Both are anathema to a good security plan, and will likely be eliminated by profession organizations.
suoq
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 2 2011, 10:29 AM) *
When you are employing Security for a High-Level, Secure Facility (you know, the ones that the Shadowrunners are often hired to penetreate), you do not employ Mall Cops. Your Security Forces are going to be highly trained individuals, who minimize, or eliminate, such distractions, because they are PAID to be professional and competent.

Quoting so I can show this to the Air Force cop at our table later.

When I served at Offutt, I used to love to ask the people who do high level security how they cope with the boredom. The best two answers I got were "I target pigeons" and "I count how many stars (with generals being rated by the number of stars on their uniform) I think I can take out before someone returns fire."

For a modern perspective on what highly trained individuals might be like, read or watch (your choice) Generation Kill.

Semper Gumby.
CanRay
"What was that? A rock? Jesus, boy, now I'm insulted. I'm going to spray the opposite direction with autoshotgun now and see what happens."
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 2 2011, 09:06 AM) *
Quoting so I can show this to the Air Force cop at our table later.

When I served at Offutt, I used to love to ask the people who do high level security how they cope with the boredom. The best two answers I got were "I target pigeons" and "I count how many stars (with generals being rated by the number of stars on their uniform) I think I can take out before someone returns fire."

For a modern perspective on what highly trained individuals might be like, read or watch (your choice) Generation Kill.

Semper Gumby.

I have heard similar comments. Hell, as a mind exercise, we used to create elaborate plans on how to take over the base with as few personnel as necessary. The fact remains that Security Duty IS boring, and often Tedious. Professional Organizations tend to minimize or eliminate the things that get people killed, primarily by removing the biggest contributor to that, which is long duration duty, which saps attention. The less time you are actively engaged, the more alert you tend to be.

Having Grown up in an Air Force City (San Antonio), I will say this for Airforce SP's. They are generally one of the most interesting, and entertaining, Guards to watch on a Gate Post. Though Marines look better in their Blues... smile.gif

Semper Gumby indeed... smile.gif
Aku
@TJ, no matter the job, there will always be people less motivated to do it than other people
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Aku @ Aug 2 2011, 11:07 AM) *
@TJ, no matter the job, there will always be people less motivated to do it than other people

No arguments there either... BUT, in a position where people can die if you do not do your job, you will be replaced if you cannot do your job. To do otherwise risks life and investment.
Aku
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 2 2011, 02:23 PM) *
No arguments there either... BUT, in a position where people can die if you do not do your job, you will be replaced if you cannot do your job. To do otherwise risks life and investment.

but i dont see home ground, as a quality, as "doing the job" i see it as going above and beyond to KNOW the layout, as opposed to just learning it
Blitz66
QUOTE (Aku @ Aug 2 2011, 07:14 PM) *
but i dont see home ground, as a quality, as "doing the job" i see it as going above and beyond to KNOW the layout, as opposed to just learning it

If you've worked there a week, you are vastly more familiar with the facility than the guys breaking in to steal stuff. Being a high-speed eager beaver not required. Your identification is in the system. Defenses are after them, not you. AR assistance is available to you, not them. Basically, the home team ALWAYS has the edge, even the rookies.

And no, security guards being bored and silly on the job is not the same thing as security guards not being alert. If a guy is even reasonably well trained, he can go from snacking and telling dirty jokes to rifle at the ready in a second at the slightest unexpected noise. I'd have found it funny, if I didn't have my rifle at the ready at the time. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Aug 2 2011, 12:24 PM) *
If you've worked there a week, you are vastly more familiar with the facility than the guys breaking in to steal stuff. Being a high-speed eager beaver not required. Your identification is in the system. Defenses are after them, not you. AR assistance is available to you, not them. Basically, the home team ALWAYS has the edge, even the rookies.

And no, security guards being bored and silly on the job is not the same thing as security guards not being alert. If a guy is even reasonably well trained, he can go from snacking and telling dirty jokes to rifle at the ready in a second at the slightest unexpected noise. I'd have found it funny, if I didn't have my rifle at the ready at the time. nyahnyah.gif

Heh... Well Put... smile.gif
Traul
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 2 2011, 07:23 PM) *

Not so sure: Aku's remark also applies to managers wink.gif
Faelan
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Aug 2 2011, 02:33 AM) *
What gets me is, once you accept Faelan's premise about the infallibility of HTR teams, there's little reason why you can't extend it to on-site everyday security.

Blitz please don't put words in my mouth. I have never said the HTRT are infallible, and there is plenty of reason you can't extend it to on-site everyday security. It is called cost. You have one HTRT for a Major City, having that grade of security everywhere not including equipment, the training alone would be prohibitive, not to mention commensurate pay to to ensure loyalty and interest.

Do they have home-field advantage? Of course they do - they work that facility every day, the security system is theirs, they have every territory-related advantage the higher-paid guys have plus more, because their unit is specialized in this one location. Do they have a procedure to handle intruders? Sure they do. They just aren't issued their gear and kicked out into the hallway to keep suspicious-types away. Training happens. Do they have access to sweet gear? Of course they do. Maybe they don't have top-notch milspec stuff, because that's expensive, but there's not much chance a group of runners is going to out-resource them. Are they motivated enough to do the job properly? Of course they are. They're on-site security. Anybody who wants to commit crimes in the facility might just kill them to get the opportunity to do so.

Your local security gets paid a lot less, to be a deterrent, not a solution. At best they are expected to slow down an intrusion enough to allow the big boys to get there, at worst they just want to go home at the end of the day. Depending on the facility you are hitting you can hit glorified mall cops, or expensive trained killers. Value of the target will generally determine the security level. The more someone is willing to pay you the Shadowrunnner to liberate somethin, the more the owners are likely to spend to protect it.

You don't find mall cops pulling serious security duties in a sensitive area. Mall cops are mall cops because you don't see serious action at a mall. Maybe on-site security is not the best-trained or equipped in the world, but at worst they're like regular infantry compared to elite forces. Regular infantry with a defensive position and a numbers advantage is not to be trifled with.

Regular Infantry is actually better at what it does than Special Forces. Small unit tactics for retrieval, assasination, hostage rescue, are different from what happens in a unit whose primary focus is killing combatants.

Unless, maybe, you can thwart them with some combination of stealth, speed, power, cunning, and judiciously applied mayhem. And once you accept that, for all their advantages, soldiers are fallible and strategies confoundable, then why is HTR granted such extreme reverence? They're not any less mortal than the rest. The unit is not a plot device. They're just more enemies trying to stop you from accomplishing your objective and getting out clean. Highly trained and well equipped, sure, but not guaranteed defeat by any means.

Trying to compare mall security guards with HTRT is rather disingenous, and once again I never said HTRT is infallible, but neither are Shadowrunners. When an Elite Team of killers is coming after your ass assuming that you will win is called calculating some seriously flawed odds, it is also called the high risk option. Last time I checked survival generally depends on the low risk option, of course sometimes your survival to greed quotient is skewed and you pick the high risk option. That is what HTRT is and if your runners are using them like their own personal on call bitches, or mowing them down like a WWI movie, then you are simply being lazy. My point has always been that HTRT is a serious, and capable threat, one any smart Shadowrunner will at the least respect. Tactics are a two way street, HTRT is equally capable of doing the same things runners do, and chances are they have access to a far larger database of incidents to study and compare it to.
Faelan
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 2 2011, 06:59 AM) *
Have you actually had good experiences with TPKs for new players, people just learning the system and setting? Because it seems like the sort of thing that makes people quit.

I usually warn them several times, that bad shit is going to happen, that there are consequences for their actions, and usually all this before play even begins. If they can't handle it then I really don't want them at my table. I never have a shortage of players so I would guess I am doing something right.

60 miles? Ignoring assembling the team, distributing the equipment, briefing, unloading, organizing with the local corpsec, and setting up those wonderful positions you discussed, ignoring all that, you need to be traveling 360 mph minimum to get that 60 mile radius. And in SR, with all the different corp owned airspace, there's no way they're going in a straight line. All that, an expensive helicopter with a skilled pilot to cover, adds a lot to the units cost and you're only going to get than 10 min response time within a 10-20 mile radius.

Osprey, love it, live it, kick ass with it. Corporate Airspace as is undoubtedly limited in elevation or travel anywhere around a city would be completely screwed. As to assembling and all that. Personnel on standby, don't need to have anything distributed, get briefed on the way to the LZ, and generally take 2.5 minutes from getting kicked out of your bunk to launching off a LHD. I'm sure HTRT whose only job is responding to security has one team on standby at all times. Which means throw your shit on, and step out to the launchpad, and go. Try closer to one minute. If you don't want to believe me feel free to look at FMFM's that detail acceptable time frames. This was for TRAP missions.

Aztech sure seems to find their reputation easy to fix. Do you think SK or Horizon can't spin this stuff? Corpsec teams should respond and do respond but there's limits, and one of those is that they have to be aware of collateral damage. There is absolutely no point in calling in HRT to prevent the Shadowrunners from making off with a researcher if the entire research team dies in the ensuing firefight. Especially not when you can just pay that same SR team (or another one, if you're vengeful) to go steal the researcher back tomorrow.

Right. Sure they are aware of collateral damage, my point is that HTRT will make the most sound tactical decision when they have the information,whether that means taking you out, or following you, is determined by the situation. Did I say somewhere that everything happens 100% of the time, no. So stop arguing with a phantom position. I have never said they will always kick the shit out of shadowrunners. I have said they are far from being the tools or useless idiots that some people are making them out to be.
Ascalaphus
Maybe airport firefighters are an interesting analogy to consider:

* Airports are sprawling; getting to the place of the incident isn't always easy. But the firefighters will have a plan on how to get to every point on the airport.
* If an incident happens, people need to be evacuated. Firefighters will be trained in where to expect people, how to handle them, where to bring them to.
* Firefighters need to cooperate with local staff from the incident site. Local staff should be trained in what to do if a fire breaks out, which includes knowing which parts to leave to the firefighters.
* Different things can go wrong in different parts of the airport. The firefighters need all manner of different game plans.
* Response times are crucial. Arriving five minutes later can be disastrous.
* There may be terrorism involved. They need to know how to cooperate with various other agencies that get involved when an incident happens.
* Airports are also high-value locations.
* It's important to know what went wrong; what's burning? They have a system for figuring out the nature of the incident as quickly as possible.
* There will be a lot of panicked civilians running around. These should be gotten out of the way alive.
* The firefighters should stay alive themselves.

All these difficulties mean that airport firefighters need quite a lot of training for various scenarios, and even so they need to be adaptable, and gather information quickly even while moving to the location of the incident.
Blitz66
Faelan, I invite you to reread your posts on the first page as if someone else wrote them, and see if you don't get a sense that the writer of those posts is saying that the real pros are going to mop the floor with anybody they encounter. It's just a matter of getting them there.

In a sensitive location, on-site security is not meant to slow anyone down so the "big boys" can get there. That's baffling. It sounds like you're talking about a setting designed with HTR as protagonists. In a mall, maybe an airport, sure. In a secure facility? No.

You'll note that I did not specifically name the Special Forces. There is a reason. They are not combat oriented. There are other small elite heavily armed units whose jobs are not to take and hold positions, like regular infantry, but to bring lots of force to bear on a target quickly. Like HTR compared to good on-site security.

I'll agree with your last paragraph, though. Time, positioning, and reinforcement issues aside, nobody should want the best trained and armed security personnel available involved when there's crime to be done. Using them in a plan is dumb. Mowing them down is a sucker's game. You want to engage no security personnel at all, if possible, and the softest and fewest targets possible if it's unavoidable, and then GTFO. HTR being present is the opposite of what a good plan should be. The only thing I really took issue with was the whole "if HTR is present, they'll either shoot you now or follow you home and shoot everybody later" idea from the first page, where you were talking about the extreme likelihood of TPK if HTR was involved. It's not a good day, for sure, but it's basically one tricked-out team against another team that should be trying like hell to not be there.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 2 2011, 07:29 AM) *
As for On-Site Security. Yes, it is a boring job, and it is really easy to get distracted. BUT, when you are employing Security for a High-Level, Secure Facility (you know, the ones that the Shadowrunners are often hired to penetreate), you do not employ Mall Cops. Your Security Forces are going to be highly trained individuals, who minimize, or eliminate, such distractions, because they are PAID to be professional and competent. If they are not, they will lose their jobs (and likely their lives if penetrated). This is a STRONG incentive to perform well. Places with this level of security do not put guards on watch for 12 hours at a whack. When I was A Guard at Marine Barracks Fallbrook, We stood 4 hour watches, with 3 rotations. In comparison, when I worked security, post military service, my watches were 12 hours long. Guess which job I was more alert at.

It's funny that you mention Mall Cops. The original facility I was writing up that led to this discussion actually employed four levels of security, and the first one was literally Mall Cops. These guys were armed with taser and sidearm, and employed in areas on corporate property that were open to the public. I feel that there is some value in having lightly armed and equipped units trained to sound the alarm, specifically to counter stealth tactics and social engineering - these guys are making the etiquette checks when your team is trying to blend in in full combat armor, watching the pretty landscaping for suspicious drones, and sitting on the switch for the security door. Are they a pushover in a firefight? Sure, against a Shadow team...but if they can sound the alarm, then they're a different kind of threat, one that makes the non-combat skills worth buying. From a gameplay perspective, these guys make the Face and Infiltrator important, and keep the team honest when they're not mirrorshading hard enough.

Of course, if the players decide they're in a Pink Mohawk campaign...well, that's what the Heavy Responders are for.
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Aug 3 2011, 12:27 AM) *
Of course, if the players decide they're in a Pink Mohawk campaign...well, that's what the Heavy Responders are for.

Heh, in pink mohawk, the only thing to give runners a.... run wobble.gif for their money is an HTRT. I think if you want a really hard fight to happen, you bring something like that. Corpsec and mall cops are too much of a pushover. Now if only SR4 had a time-optimized combat system...
Blitz66
Tiered on-site security is quite an investment, but sweet if you can justify the expense for the facility. Sounds like your installation is partly commercial or tourist oriented, partly something else. Suboptimal in general, but best setup for the tiers as you describe them. For a more typical situation, two tiers is plenty, I think.
Faelan
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Aug 2 2011, 04:50 PM) *
Faelan, I invite you to reread your posts on the first page as if someone else wrote them, and see if you don't get a sense that the writer of those posts is saying that the real pros are going to mop the floor with anybody they encounter. It's just a matter of getting them there.

My central point was this from the very first post "In my games if the team has stuck around long enough for a Heavy Response Team to arrive they are probably looking at a near TPK," I just bolded the arrive part. If they are waiting for big guns to get there, big guns are going to get used. Spec Ops team caught in the middle of doing something sneaky will likely get pounded into dust when a platoon of infantry with the heavy shit shows up. Once again never said anything about infallible, in fact everything I have posted was merely to illustrate that they are credible.

In a sensitive location, on-site security is not meant to slow anyone down so the "big boys" can get there. That's baffling.

Depends on the facility as always. The fact that you are suggesting it is baffling, is baffling to me. There are plenty of instances where the site security might be as simple as a couple of bodyguards. Their mission is to make sure the principal comes to no harm. Against a team of Shadowrunners their only credible plan is to slow them down so the big boys can arrive.

It sounds like you're talking about a setting designed with HTR as protagonists. In a mall, maybe an airport, sure. In a secure facility? No.

HTRT are the protagonists if you are the corper. I am merely arguing that they are a credible threat, one which will usually evolve into a very lethal threat if the runnners decide to stick around for the party instead of getting out of dodge.

You'll note that I did not specifically name the Special Forces. There is a reason. They are not combat oriented. There are other small elite heavily armed units whose jobs are not to take and hold positions, like regular infantry, but to bring lots of force to bear on a target quickly. Like HTR compared to good on-site security.

Good I was not entirely sure where you were going with that. Another issue is what is good on-site security? What are the degrees of security, the scale if you will? I think we are all working off of different assumptions.

I'll agree with your last paragraph, though. Time, positioning, and reinforcement issues aside, nobody should want the best trained and armed security personnel available involved when there's crime to be done. Using them in a plan is dumb. Mowing them down is a sucker's game. You want to engage no security personnel at all, if possible, and the softest and fewest targets possible if it's unavoidable, and then GTFO. HTR being present is the opposite of what a good plan should be. The only thing I really took issue with was the whole "if HTR is present, they'll either shoot you now or follow you home and shoot everybody later" idea from the first page, where you were talking about the extreme likelihood of TPK if HTR was involved. It's not a good day, for sure, but it's basically one tricked-out team against another team that should be trying like hell to not be there.

Once again I never said that. It was all predicated on the team waiting too long. There is such a thing as a point of no return. When they hit that is dependent on the situation, but when they do that hammer is gonna fall, and it is gonna hurt. Everything the HTRT tea, does is dependent on the situation, and they generally have greater resources all around to bring to bear on the problem, which in my mind if they are credible means the runners are likely screwed. Something they can avoid entirely by not sticking around long enough for the opposition to field a real team.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Aug 2 2011, 03:09 PM) *
Tiered on-site security is quite an investment, but sweet if you can justify the expense for the facility. Sounds like your installation is partly commercial or tourist oriented, partly something else. Suboptimal in general, but best setup for the tiers as you describe them. For a more typical situation, two tiers is plenty, I think.

I was trying to do a run in the MCT tower, but official write-ups were scarce. I wound up doing one major skyraker tower with four large skyscraper towers around it. At the base of these five towers is an enclosed atrium and shopping mall, the better to reach out to consumers. Our team wound up going up one of the smaller towers, which let me leave the true scope of MCT operations up to the imagination.

The four tiers I wound up using were: Guard, Armed Guard, Heavy Response Team, Prime Runners. They wound up getting about 1k, 10k, 100k, and 1,000k in gear respectively. With a good command center coordinating response, this plan had a good chance of stomping on any level of incursion without overcommiting resources (i.e., drunk execs are handled by Guards, Anarchists with Uzis are handled by Armed Guards, Cyborg Anarchists with miniguns and grenade launchers are handled by the HRT, and the corp execs are safe and sound with their bodyguards just in case.) The protocol required calling in the nature of the threat before deploying the HRT - Supersoldiers, Arcane Hazard, Information Warfare, Mechanized Assault - so that the team could be given the proper support. Even if they did not know there was a mage, however, a dozen entry-level cybersamurai stand a good chance of turning the wizkid into an unfortunate statistic.

If the basic HRT determine that the threat is more then they can handle, the field commander might order them to deploy Kamikaze to give them an extra edge. If that doesn't work...well, there's always the nightmares up at Tier 4.
Blitz66
Looks like we're just operating on different levels of assumptions. I already took HTR as a credible threat, and took your efforts to build their credibility further as building them to Wrath of the Almighty levels. I don't think I was the only one to read it that way, but if that wasn't your intent, cool.

I also assume that HTR is not utilized in situations that don't warrant a sizeable on-site staff, because if something is not insanely well protected, the delay of HTR response is going to be a huge factor. 99% of the time, a lightly defended objective will either be secured or long gone by the time HTR can be there. We're talking serious installations, to be both practical and worth the expense. This, I think, answers a number of your questions. I say 'good' security, in this situation, meaning staff and resources that can be reasonably expected to keep a very important and expensive target secure under most circumstances.

I am all about runners making tracks when things get violent. Seriously, there is no other option for a runner that wants to blow out the candles on his next soy-based birthday cake. Even if there is no such thing as HTR, normal corpsec can surround you and cut off escape if you take too long, and then you're done. My character's prologue involved a bad team that tried to stand and fight KE after a firefight in a bar, and he disguised himself as an injured bystander, took an ambulance ride, and bailed out en route. Never even asked if those guys survived, because screw that. The point being, you bail FAST when violence starts, and it's not just HTR you're avoiding.
CanRay
Well, I have a Soldier, a Scout, an Engineer, a Medic, some sneaky guy that loves masks whose name I can't remember, and some pyromaniac.

Oh, and a Black Scottish Cyclops.
Omenowl
The question is how long does an HRT take to arrive.

Drones and Spirits will probably arrive within 2 to 5 minutes. Drones will be located onsite and activated by an offsite spider. Spirits will be summoned by an offsite mage. These will be mostly to handle lower level threats such as gangers, anarchists, etc. Poorly organized and poorly armed groups. They will do the initial evaluation of the threat and alert the HRT.

The team has to be alerted and activated. This would probably be determined by the entry method, the perceived threat, the onsite security, and criticality of the facility.

Once the team is alerted they will begin to assemble and suit up. I assume this is not a low level of security where they just throw on some clothes. They probably double check their equipment, make sure each piece of armor is properly fastened, etc. This could take 15 to 30 minutes just for the suiting up. Their time to actually assemble could vary from 5 minutes to 3 hours. Most teams will not sit around in a room waiting for an attack unless they have prior warning. Having a team onsite for 24 hours would probably have 4-5 full teams, which allows for rotations, leave, etc.

Once they are alerted they will be ready to go waiting for the word to activate. They will be contacting presidents, etc to determine the threat response. Do they capture or kill the assailants, what are acceptable civilian casualties, acceptable damage, etc. This maybe done in conjunction with travel time if they are activated. Most HRT teams will travel by helicopter only to avoid traffic, obstacles, etc. It also gives them an opportunity for the freedom of movement, observation, multiple entry points, etc. Figure 1 minute per 2km of distance travelled.

Now a hub, very remote and/or major facility with families would have an HRT onsite. I just don't see anywhere else having a team arriving within the time period even bad shadowrunners would take to get out.

suoq
Spent some time watching videos of various response teams suiting up, running drills, etc. It's interesting to realize just how long they take to do things. My impression was that their jobs require them to be very methodical and that they're trained to respond to what are, essentially, static situations.

Some notes on response times:
http://acolumbinesite.com/swat.html - Columbine SWAT response times. Truly depressing.
http://franklinlakes.patch.com/articles/wy...t-team-on-scene - again, if you're looking for fast response, it isn't here.
http://cmeswat.com/Example%20Eval%20Hostag...scue%20Scen.pdf - Note that in this Evaluation, the expected response time of 2 hours was met.

Basic response time issues I'm finding in research:
1) Gathering of personnel and gear. Note that the personnel and the gear may well be in different locations as it's more cost-effective to have the members of the team on duty in normal uniform than sitting in a response room. When this happens, the gear is brought to the location's staging area and the personnel suit up there.
2) Lack of intel. Unlike a GM that knows all, these teams often have a safe perimeter and very little information about the current state of the target location. This requires caution which takes time.
3) Chain of command. Someone has to have the authority to make the decision to commit the team. These people want to make the decision based on accurate information, something they simply don't have. Denied information, the ability to make the correct decision is greatly reduced and as such denial of information can result in delays on deployment.

What I would expect, and what other people here seem to expect does not appear to be in line with what happens in the field. Logistics, Intel, and the Chain of Command all seem to turn what we would like to be a Fast Action Response Team into a F.A.R.T.

Edit: Note that I am not advocating realistic response times in-game. Unrealistic response times seem more cinematic and fun.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Omenowl @ Aug 2 2011, 06:51 PM) *
The question is how long does an HRT take to arrive.

Once the team is alerted they will begin to assemble and suit up. I assume this is not a low level of security where they just throw on some clothes. They probably double check their equipment, make sure each piece of armor is properly fastened, etc. This could take 15 to 30 minutes just for the suiting up. Their time to actually assemble could vary from 5 minutes to 3 hours. Most teams will not sit around in a room waiting for an attack unless they have prior warning. Having a team onsite for 24 hours would probably have 4-5 full teams, which allows for rotations, leave, etc.

Think of firefighters, here. The HRT is only useful if it can arrive before the attackers have time to take hostiges/plant charges/burn research. It would be in the corp's best interest to have a team ready to go in two minutes, as per above, and with enough money and training that can happen. While the troops are grabbing weapons and helmets, somebody is firing up the transport, and a command center is figuring out everything they need to know. It's important to remember that this isn't some publicly-funded SWAT team that needs to drive to the office, these guys are Commandos, and they're on duty. Given the amount of damage just one Pink Mohawk mission can call down on corp property (and you know that even in your mirrorshades campaign there are anarchist trolls still pissed about the Night of Rage) you can believe that these guys will have funding and resources that LAPD SWAT couldn't dream of.

Considering that the Corps have Extraterritoriality, there wouldn't even need to be paperwork - everything we do is legal, because we're doing it. Command and Control would warn them if they're about to blow up a reactor or flamethrower a daycare (probably) but these guys are pros, and probably have a pretty good game plan out of the gate. For instance: Smoke/CS/Flashbang, go thermal, put a couple rounds in anything still shooting back, apply first aid and haul them to interrogation. Cleaners will scrub the place down and the next day Research Assistant Smith is trying to figure out how his coffee mug got broke.

Finally, remember that the HRT is a game mechanic, and should be justified and handwaved enough to be a boogieman to threaten your players with. It doesn't matter where the private army is coming from, just that they are on the way and you have *just* enough time to crack that safe and get to the roof.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 3 2011, 07:24 AM) *
HTRT are the protagonists if you are the corper.

I think this is the major disconnect. HRT teams are not the corporate protagonist, if anything the Johnson is. While combat has a place, this is basically a game of corporate espionage. I have two major problems with what you're proposing.

The first is a realism issue. While it sounds like we have a bunch of people with military experience here and that's wonderful but HRT are not military units, they're corporate units. They're not going to be equipped or trained to military standards because military units worry about effectiveness (eg. killing as many people as possible) while corporations worry about efficiency (how can we kill as many people for the least amount of money). Money is always going to be a constraint because the corporation wants to maximize profits and faces significant opportunity costs. If you spend two million nuyen on an HRT team, that's two million you're not spending on something else: you could spend it in Magicians and power foci (like Wuxing), you could spend it on spies and bribes to let you know when shadowrunner's might attack (like Horizon or Shiawise), you might invest in drones and hackers/riggers (like MCT). Every corp faces tradeoffs in terms of their security, you can have great onsite security, or a strong HRT, or excellent intelligence, or excellent Matrix security, or great magical security, but you probably don't have enough to max each of those out. And each corp is going to choose which areas they focus on differently. Ares with Firewatch and Renraku with the Red Samurai take strong HRT teams, that's great. If every corp has the same defense, same focus, well, it might work for your table but you're missing out on a lot of potential depth.

The second is a general fun issue. I don't like TPKs, it's very hard to roleplay and get into a character if they all die. I don't like automatic TPKs, because they're just not fun.
QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 3 2011, 05:19 AM) *
I usually warn them several times, that bad shit is going to happen, that there are consequences for their actions, and usually all this before play even begins. If they can't handle it then I really don't want them at my table. I never have a shortage of players so I would guess I am doing something right.

I'm glad you apparently run such great games that you have no shortage of players waiting. I don't; if somebody isn't having fun I want to know. I want to try to help new players, not just threaten them with consequences, because SR is a very different game from most RPGs. And if all the players are having problems with something, like TPKs, then it's probably time for me to adjust my game, go a bit more pink mohawk. And I think most GMs fall into that category, they need to be patient and coddle new players, they avoid TPKs, and they respond to what their players want.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 2 2011, 07:56 PM) *
I think this is the major disconnect. HRT teams are not the corporate protagonist, if anything the Johnson is. While combat has a place, this is basically a game of corporate espionage. I have two major problems with what you're proposing.

The first is a realism issue. While it sounds like we have a bunch of people with military experience here and that's wonderful but HRT are not military units, they're corporate units. They're not going to be equipped or trained to military standards ...

You understand that these corps have fought hard to earn the right to defend their own territory? They literally have their own private army, not to mention enemies that are not above employing thieves and saboteurs to wreck up our pretty little corp. Also, this is set in a corporate distopia, where the corps have an obscene amount of money to throw around. Remember that this game was heavily inspired by Robocop.

QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 2 2011, 07:56 PM) *
The second is a general fun issue. I don't like TPKs, it's very hard to roleplay and get into a character if they all die. I don't like automatic TPKs, because they're just not fun.

I agree that the HRT should not actually hit the PCs if the PCs are careful. Ideally, I want to have the HRT in my pocket as a plot device, explaining why the mission is hit-and-run, not shoot-and-loot. If the players decide to go toe-to-toe with a corp army, I want the corp army to put fear in them, but that should only ever happen once. More useful is establishing that these guys *exist*, and then using them as part of the world - SnakeDancer got gunned down by the MCT Heavies last week, and is currently being interrogated - let's bust him out and he'll owe us big time. The safehouse is crawling with Heavies - we need to get out of town, fast! The biodrone hybrids are tearing through this place, and our weapons aren't working - the heavies show up and distract the monsters long enough for us to fall back and regroup! HRTs are a part of the Shadowrun world for me, they're why I justify the anarchists letting this go on so long, but I'm not after a TPK. I just want my players to think I am. biggrin.gif
PoliteMan
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Aug 3 2011, 01:11 PM) *
You understand that these corps have fought hard to earn the right to defend their own territory? They literally have their own private army, not to mention enemies that are not above employing thieves and saboteurs to wreck up our pretty little corp. Also, this is set in a corporate distopia, where the corps have an obscene amount of money to throw around. Remember that this game was heavily inspired by Robocop.

Yes, they've fought hard to defend their own territory and they're all going to defend their territory differently. It doesn't matter how much money they have, presuming it's some non-infinite amount then every nuyen going into an HRT team isn't going into another defensive program like Matrix security or intelligence. And that's ignoring the broader corporate picture, giving every member of an HRT team Wired Reflexes 1 instead of Wired Reflexes 2 makes them less effective but that 300,000 could hire five more corporate drones and they'll bring in additional money every year. The only time the corp is ever going to spend the money on HRT is if they prevent more in losses than those additional corporate could make in profits.

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Aug 3 2011, 01:11 PM) *
I agree that the HRT should not actually hit the PCs if the PCs are careful. Ideally, I want to have the HRT in my pocket as a plot device, explaining why the mission is hit-and-run, not shoot-and-loot. If the players decide to go toe-to-toe with a corp army, I want the corp army to put fear in them, but that should only ever happen once. More useful is establishing that these guys *exist*, and then using them as part of the world - SnakeDancer got gunned down by the MCT Heavies last week, and is currently being interrogated - let's bust him out and he'll owe us big time. The safehouse is crawling with Heavies - we need to get out of town, fast! The biodrone hybrids are tearing through this place, and our weapons aren't working - the heavies show up and distract the monsters long enough for us to fall back and regroup! HRTs are a part of the Shadowrun world for me, they're why I justify the anarchists letting this go on so long, but I'm not after a TPK. I just want my players to think I am. biggrin.gif

Hmm, I can dig this. As long as they're mostly "offscreen", no harm. I'd just be cautious when whenever they actually appear "onscreen", things could go bad real fast.
Midas
Form the fluff in SR, most megacorps (note the word MEGA, as in big) have on-site security at each facility and an HTRT overwatch ready to go in to any one of their many facilities should the alarm be raised. If a corp has the sort of paydata, research gizmo or brainiac that runners would be paid to get their hands on it doesn't make sense not to have an off-site HTRT on standby to protect these assets if needed. Larger corps will have their own flavour of HTRT, smaller corps may subcontract to a parent corp or Lone Star/Knight Errant, whatever.

On-site security is the first line of defence. Given the number of wars in SR multiverse history, these guys could be ex-military but now they are civvies with a cushy job and a family safely ensconced in corp housing. They are there to protect the facility from minor threats such as gangers etc., but if the facility is targetted by a highly trained group of runners their main job is to (1) sound the alarm, (2) lockdown the facility and/or protect its most sensitive assets (server room, research lab or whatever), and (3) do their best to thwart/slow down the runners until the HTRT arrive. These guys have dependents and a pretty crappy wage, so they will do their best to do their job (they don't want to lose it and have their family thrown out to fend for themselves) but won't die for the cause if they can help it.

As many have said and the fluff recommends, once the alarm is sounded it is time for the runners to finish their job and get the hell out of dodge. Within 10 mins or so (could be less, could be more), two things will happen. (1) The cavalry will arrive and surround the place, whether it is city cops, corp security or a mixture of both. (2) HTRT will be scrambled to go in and secure the facility.

According to the fluff, the HTRT should be highly-skilled and well equipped (mill spec armour, APDS, grenades [although probably more of the flash bang/smoke variety to minimize structural damage], drone and magical support). HTRT hackers should have backdoor access to the matrix and quite probably overrides for on-site drones, ICE etc. Yes, prime runners might eat an HTRT team for breakfast, but for lesser mortals taking on an HTRT squad should be something to be avoided if possible. The HTRT should be tactically astute, so getting the drop on them shouldn't be easy. They will use drones to scout ahead and use security doors etc to protect their backs. Yes PC's can take on HTRT units, but at least in my games unless they have a good plan they are potentially facing heavy casualties or worse.

I usually have 2 HTRT squads, one to secure the most sensitive part of the facility, and the second to move to neutralize the threat. The first squad's hacker will head to the CPU (ready for cybercombat) to check if data has been taken. The second group's hacker backdoors to security to get hold of the facility's eyes, ears, drones etc. and locate the threat. Team 1's hacker moniters team 2's hacker's biomoniter, and should something happen to him, hacker 1 will shutdown they system - so if the HTRT can't have the facility's eyes, they will at least blind the PC's as well.

YMMV, but if HTRT are just PC cannon fodder in your game, either your team are prime runners or the GM ain't playing them right.
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 3 2011, 05:36 AM) *
Spent some time watching videos of various response teams suiting up, running drills, etc. It's interesting to realize just how long they take to do things. My impression was that their jobs require them to be very methodical and that they're trained to respond to what are, essentially, static situations.

Some notes on response times:
http://acolumbinesite.com/swat.html - Columbine SWAT response times. Truly depressing.
http://franklinlakes.patch.com/articles/wy...t-team-on-scene - again, if you're looking for fast response, it isn't here.
http://cmeswat.com/Example%20Eval%20Hostag...scue%20Scen.pdf - Note that in this Evaluation, the expected response time of 2 hours was met.

Well... each of these things will provide a certain amount of insight - in 60-70 years, things might be different. Of course, basically ALL time frames in SR are compressed, due to the ridiculously short amounts of time people actually spend in combat. Which means, if you want HTR to be a credible threat, you HAVE to cheat the response time.

Right now, you can have firefights between less than 10 people on either side last hours, and even with few losses, because the attacks are pressed forward. Even classic terror attacks take a LONG time. Long enough to bring in relevant reinforcements. In SR, a fight is over in about 5-6 seconds, tops, with basically NO hostiles left within tactical distance. Everyone is either winner, dead, or running. The scenario that was mentioned earlier, with one platoon or so defending the mockup town, was a forced advance situation, but still took 8 hours. And the reason is simply, that in real life, people don't (normally) simply run forward when under fire. Of course there are relevant military tactics that advocate just this, but at that point the commander is calculating losses in ranges of 30-50%, and basically the only combatants corps can afford to lose in such numbers are dumb, cheap grunts. (And the military can't actually afford this at all, anymore.)

A solution would be to enforce non-combat actions in combat - if you encounter a difficult tactical situation, and withdraw to change the plans, play that out in mission time, instead of the usual out-game discussion that takes all of 0 time in game.

[ Spoiler ]

So you have to put the threat on the few minutes that actual mission completion takes, or on extraction. Even so, unless you have your runners actually move in turns along a very large tactical map, there aren't many good game mechanics to produce the kind of tension you want here: You basically have the clock ticking, while the runners do their thing, but all the time it's completely up to you whether they manage or not, because time frames for non-combat actions are so vague. Even if you roll the response time (perhaps 2d6x10 minutes for HTR), it's still the GM ensuring either success or failure, because it's up to him to say "you take 5 minutes to cross the perimeter" or, "you take 20 minutes to sneak across the perimeter". Of course there are rules for this, too, but they require a far greater amount of tedium - measuring distances, calculating movement speeds with varying modifiers, etc.

Basic response time issues I'm finding in research:
1) Gathering of personnel and gear. Note that the personnel and the gear may well be in different locations as it's more cost-effective to have the members of the team on duty in normal uniform than sitting in a response room. When this happens, the gear is brought to the location's staging area and the personnel suit up there.
2) Lack of intel. Unlike a GM that knows all, these teams often have a safe perimeter and very little information about the current state of the target location. This requires caution which takes time.
3) Chain of command. Someone has to have the authority to make the decision to commit the team. These people want to make the decision based on accurate information, something they simply don't have. Denied information, the ability to make the correct decision is greatly reduced and as such denial of information can result in delays on deployment.

What I would expect, and what other people here seem to expect does not appear to be in line with what happens in the field. Logistics, Intel, and the Chain of Command all seem to turn what we would like to be a Fast Action Response Team into a F.A.R.T.

This I would say is accurate, and makes sure that short of a hostage situation, or when regular corpsec has managed to box in the runners, they don't get to meet HTR. There is one other case where you could meet them: In an assault on the runner team. If a corp wants to make a point and set and example, I would not use regular corpsec for attacks on runner teams. I would use mercs, other runners, OR HTR teams, in order of how much the target team pissed off the corp. At that point the shit has really hit the fan.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 2 2011, 04:19 PM) *
Osprey, love it, live it, kick ass with it. Corporate Airspace as is undoubtedly limited in elevation or travel anywhere around a city would be completely screwed. As to assembling and all that. Personnel on standby, don't need to have anything distributed, get briefed on the way to the LZ, and generally take 2.5 minutes from getting kicked out of your bunk to launching off a LHD. I'm sure HTRT whose only job is responding to security has one team on standby at all times. Which means throw your shit on, and step out to the launchpad, and go. Try closer to one minute. If you don't want to believe me feel free to look at FMFM's that detail acceptable time frames. This was for TRAP missions.

So assuming the HTRT is stationed within 10 klicks of said secured facility, cause you know when setting up the location of the facility they would never consider the HTRT ability to get there and support the "standard security". A smart corp who thought all this out would have multiple facitilities and multiple HTRT on Standby for security reason. It only gets tricky when said lab/research facilitiy is secret, in which case mother corp might not know what sonny or daughter VP is up to so you would not have an HTRT. Though in this case they might hire local professionals (shadow runners, gangers, Yakuza, Mob, etc,etc) to pull guard duty. But assuming this is on mother corp's I know it is mine list, I'd assume the HTRT team is based out of the corp ZERO zone facilitities in the area (response time is immdiate in the Zero zone). I'd picture the scene of the HTRT team almost ready to go, and either running VR sims or playing cards when the wistle blows, grabbing their helmets (cause they wear their security armor while on call--massaging liners are standard along with biomonitors) and going to their waiting VTOL craft or Van. THis would include a mage or two (depending on corp).

Ok now that is the physical part of it....

Matrix: A facilitiy on alert has two options:swarm the system, or physically shut it down. Their response time is 1 combat turn, and well this can get ugly for the hacker if he/she/it faces off against 5 other hackers.....the PC hacker may control the system, but it will not be long before an OPFOR hacker commands the system to reboot the user access IDs. In addition, probably a couple of rating 6 jammers would be activated at the facility. To me most of a buildings matrix in any secure location would be hardwired. Yes it is a little more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

Astral: Probably within the 2-3 combat turns, astral HTRT will begin sweep of the facitility. They will most certainly be doing recon and using watchers to relay the information back to HQ. Also they can summon spirits or call their bonded ones on the astral to go in an mess with the runners.

The expense of this is shared by the dozen or so research facilities/factories located in the response time frame there. It would probably be possible to have 50 or so members of the HTRT stationed there--not that all would be sent, with more available from further afield.

BTW---this is why I don't do Pink Mohawk....... devil.gif
Faelan
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 2 2011, 11:56 PM) *

Stop right there. Shadowrun is a game about a dystopian future, where magic exists, and corporations are effectively their own countries. The tip of the iceberg for shadow activity is listed on p.18 and 19 of the SR4A. Some of these activities could be a part of espionage, they could also be done for their own sake, they could be done for personal reasons, they could even be done for the greater good, essentially saying SR is one thing is pigeonholing the setting, and in my opinion is a seriously flawed view of the game.

The first is a realism issue. While it sounds like we have a bunch of people with military experience here and that's wonderful but HRT are not military units, they're corporate units. They're not going to be equipped or trained to military standards because military units worry about effectiveness (eg. killing as many people as possible) while corporations worry about efficiency (how can we kill as many people for the least amount of money).

Well I know I was in the USMC for 8 years, and I know Tymaeus was also a gungi gumby man, and HTRT are military units. What do you think Corporate Security is? They start and run wars in third world nations, the advisors of 2072 are Corporate types, or their proxies. 20 years of Shadowrun cannon disagrees with your point, so please accept that it is not the default.

Money is always going to be a constraint because the corporation wants to maximize profits and faces significant opportunity costs. If you spend two million nuyen on an HRT team, that's two million you're not spending on something else: you could spend it in Magicians and power foci (like Wuxing), you could spend it on spies and bribes to let you know when shadowrunner's might attack (like Horizon or Shiawise), you might invest in drones and hackers/riggers (like MCT). Every corp faces tradeoffs in terms of their security, you can have great onsite security, or a strong HRT, or excellent intelligence, or excellent Matrix security, or great magical security, but you probably don't have enough to max each of those out. And each corp is going to choose which areas they focus on differently. Ares with Firewatch and Renraku with the Red Samurai take strong HRT teams, that's great. If every corp has the same defense, same focus, well, it might work for your table but you're missing out on a lot of potential depth.

Every corporation will have different methods, doctrine, tables of organization, combat loads, things they stress and things they don't, but if you are suggesting that they will lack something you are seriously mistaken. Corporations copy each other because success is something you copy. If you know that without a specific type of unit, another corporation is going to completely own your ass in that field, you step up and compete. While each will have their strengths, they are not going to be lacking in any of those areas entirely.

I don't like TPKs, in fact I hate them, but if after everything I hinted at, all the clues I dropped, the blatant direct "You may want to reconsider that course of action..." after all that if I don't "Bring It", my fun would be ruined, not for that session but for every session after. I don't get off on TPKs unless I somehow managed to pick up a crew of complete idiots to game with.

I'm glad you apparently run such great games that you have no shortage of players waiting. I don't; if somebody isn't having fun I want to know. I want to try to help new players, not just threaten them with consequences, because SR is a very different game from most RPGs. And if all the players are having problems with something, like TPKs, then it's probably time for me to adjust my game, go a bit more pink mohawk. And I think most GMs fall into that category, they need to be patient and coddle new players, they avoid TPKs, and they respond to what their players want.

How many TPK's have I had? Did I say it anywhere, no. So let's not play that card, or the fun card. Clearly if my players were not having fun I would not have players. I run a balanced game, leaning towards no particular style of play with great fervor. The one thing I stick to is what I tell them, so if I am giving them warnings I better back it up. Also SR is not a very different game, it is an RPG like any other, what the GM does with it is the same as any other game.
CanRay
You want to see my Heavy Response Team?

Fine: Here's just one of them.
Aku
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 3 2011, 05:21 PM) *
You want to see my Heavy Response Team?

Fine: Here's just one of them.

Psh. my HR Team is awesomer
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 4 2011, 06:17 AM) *
Stop right there. Shadowrun is a game about a dystopian future, where magic exists, and corporations are effectively their own countries. The tip of the iceberg for shadow activity is listed on p.18 and 19 of the SR4A. Some of these activities could be a part of espionage, they could also be done for their own sake, they could be done for personal reasons, they could even be done for the greater good, essentially saying SR is one thing is pigeonholing the setting, and in my opinion is a seriously flawed view of the game.

Huh? We're discussing corporate HRT teams fighting armed intruders to a corporate building aiming at espionage, sabotage, or assassination. In a game called Shadowrun. If we were discussing a general campaign, or a mercenary mission, or a "ancient/arcane mysteries" mission, or any of the alternatives I'd totally agree with you. And yes, very rarely a team might risk their lives to break into a highly secure facility for something other than money. I don't think those 1-in-a-hundred runs are what's being discussed. And there's a real danger to viewing HRT as the corporate protagonist, there's a danger in promoting a "GM v PC attitude". When the Johnson is the protagonist, the goal is for the run to succeed, when HRT is the corporate protagonist, the goal is for the run to fail.

Well I know I was in the USMC for 8 years, and I know Tymaeus was also a gungi gumby man, and HTRT are military units. What do you think Corporate Security is? They start and run wars in third world nations, the advisors of 2072 are Corporate types, or their proxies. 20 years of Shadowrun cannon disagrees with your point, so please accept that it is not the default.

Thank you for serving but I think that experience is going to work against you here for a simple reason:
The USMC is not (I hope) a profit-maximizing corporation.
A Megacorp is.

They're going to minimize costs wherever they can, even if it leads to increased deaths at one of their facilities. The HRT will only get as much funding as the corp would lose from shadowruns if they downgraded the HRT to have weaker gear/ware.

I'm not discussing a corp having or not having an HRT. I'm discussing how effective that HRT team is going to be given certain cost restraints. Let me put this in more concrete terms.

Let's presume the average SR has 3 IP. A corp can easily afford to upgrade all their HRT teams from Wired Reflexes II to Wired Reflexes III, which will give the HRT a significant advantage over the shadowrunners. However, since you probably need alphaware due to essence restrictions, there's an increased cost of nuyen.gif 168,000 per person to upgrade the team from Wired Reflexes II to Alphaware Wired Reflexes III. Over 30 people (2 HRTs), that's a bit over 5 million nuyen. Will that increased capability save the megacorp an extra five million nuyen? If not, the HRT will not get it.

In business terms, it's actually worse than that. If the corp could reinvest that 5 million nuyen into another factory, then for the HRT to get those Alphaware Wired Reflexes III, they need to save the corp an additional 5 million nuyen over what they would have saved the corp if they only had Wired Reflexes II, plus whatever profits that potential factory would have made.

These are circumstances I hope the USMC does not face. But they are circumstances HRT, and any loss prevention department, face in a megacorp. Because HRT are not military units, although they act like them, they're corporate units.

I don't like TPKs, in fact I hate them, but if after everything I hinted at, all the clues I dropped, the blatant direct "You may want to reconsider that course of action..." after all that if I don't "Bring It", my fun would be ruined, not for that session but for every session after. I don't get off on TPKs unless I somehow managed to pick up a crew of complete idiots to game with.

How many TPK's have I had? Did I say it anywhere, no. So let's not play that card, or the fun card. Clearly if my players were not having fun I would not have players. I run a balanced game, leaning towards no particular style of play with great fervor. The one thing I stick to is what I tell them, so if I am giving them warnings I better back it up. Also SR is not a very different game, it is an RPG like any other, what the GM does with it is the same as any other game.

I think your experiences as a GM are unique in several ways:
#1 Most of us do not have a surplus of fellow gamers to play with. Look at poor CanRay, who's been trying to find a group in the frozen wastes of Canada since dinosaurs roamed the Earth.
#2 So you warn your players not to do something, they do it, and you punish them with a TPK because otherwise you can't have fun? There's no other solution besides a TPK? And if all the players are doing something (and probably think it's a reasonable idea) and you think it's dumb, they're idiots?
#3 SR tends to throw new players because the violence is a lot more brutal and it requires much more stealth and subtlety than D&D or a lot of common RPGs. The only players I've seen who quickly adjust to the SR mindset are Trail/Call of Cthulu players.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 3 2011, 02:50 PM) *
They're going to minimize costs wherever they can, even if it leads to increased deaths at one of their facilities. The HRT will only get as much funding as the corp would lose from shadowruns if they downgraded the HRT to have weaker gear/ware.

I'm not discussing a corp having or not having an HRT. I'm discussing how effective that HRT team is going to be given certain cost restraints. Let me put this in more concrete terms.

Let's presume the average SR has 3 IP. A corp can easily afford to upgrade all their HRT teams from Wired Reflexes II to Wired Reflexes III, which will give the HRT a significant advantage over the shadowrunners. However, since you probably need alphaware due to essence restrictions, there's an increased cost of nuyen.gif 168,000 per person to upgrade the team from Wired Reflexes II to Alphaware Wired Reflexes III. Over 30 people (2 HRTs), that's a bit over 5 million nuyen. Will that increased capability save the megacorp an extra five million nuyen? If not, the HRT will not get it.

In business terms, it's actually worse than that. If the corp could reinvest that 5 million nuyen into another factory, then for the HRT to get those Alphaware Wired Reflexes III, they need to save the corp an additional 5 million nuyen over what they would have saved the corp if they only had Wired Reflexes II, plus whatever profits that potential factory would have made.

These are circumstances I hope the USMC does not face. But they are circumstances HRT, and any loss prevention department, face in a megacorp. Because HRT are not military units, although they act like them, they're corporate units.

I feel the need to reiterate a few things. First, HRT members do not need to be prime runners - my original build had them at 100k per unit, including upgraded military armor and weapons, an extra IP and enough bodyware to make them survivable. By your math, that's an initial investment of 3 million nuyen. Assuming a fairly high survival rate, call it 2/3, we wind up reinvesting about 1 million nuyen per year to keep it running. That sounds like a lot of money to you and me, but let's consider that these companies pull in billions and trillions of nuyen. Further, if you don't believe that a Shadow team can deal a million nuyen of damage in one good night, you haven't been running the sorts of missions I have.

You make a good point that the corps will not want to overfund their security, but by definition, that security is only sufficiently funded if it can stop guys like us from breaking in, killing dozens of valuable people, destroying equipment and making our trade secrets public domain. In short, if they deliberately field incompetent security forces for accounting reasons (as you suggest) then that mistake is going to be corrected the first time somebody's pet project (or pet project manager) goes up in flames because accounting were cutting corners.

I also feel like you aren't giving private militaries enough credit. Police forces, including SWAT, have to jump through a lot of hoops to get funding increased - consider the big fight in the papers this week over how the US government needs to slash spending. Without that funding, you don't get teams on standby, you don't get 24 hour command and control, you don't get the best people and gear - you compromise. Conversely, if Damien Knight decides he wants Firewatch Seattle to be ready to fight a small war in less time then it takes him to order a pizza, guess what? He gets what he wants.

QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 3 2011, 02:50 PM) *
#2 So you warn your players not to do something, they do it, and you punish them with a TPK because otherwise you can't have fun? There's no other solution besides a TPK? And if all the players are doing something (and probably think it's a reasonable idea) and you think it's dumb, they're idiots?

To be fair, we're not suggesting "Rocks fall, everyone dies" here. The idea is that the Shadowrunners are taking on someone that is ostensibly more powerful then they are. The only reason that Shadowrunning works is that the big, bad corps don't have time to bring their big guns to bear before the Shadow team has already vanished. If the team give the corp forces time to mount a serious defense, then that defense should be sufficient to stop the attack. This isn't a GM vs Player mentality, it's one of the basic, canonical expectations of the run versus a megacorp. In fact, I think it is fair to say that if Megacorp A realizes that Megacorp B is unwilling or unable to stop mercenaries from destroying valuable property, they would seriously consider a hostile takeover by way of a frontal assault. Like you said, it's all about the bottom line, and having a competitor lose all three factories has got to help somebody's quarterly profits.
Blitz66
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 3 2011, 10:50 PM) *

If you're playing D&D, and the PCs go find the biggest red dragon in the setting at level 1, despite your warnings, what do you do? Tell them the dragon is in a deep sleep and thus isn't awake and killing them despite intruding in its lair? Well, when they declare they're going to butcher the dragon in its sleep, steal its horde, and sell his body parts to wizards, what do you do then? Do you let them do it, or does the dragon wake up and nuke them? "Letting the players do whatever they want without consequences" makes for a short, awful game.

HTR, while not being a dragon, is a threat far more easily avoidable than defeatable. All you have to do is GET OUT once your presence is discovered. Your players, going into the game, should know that they're not intended to gun down all opposition, but run away, killing as necessary to escape, so they can live to run away again another day. They're not heroic invincible supermen. They're common, possibly uncommon criminals. If they don't know that, somebody has failed.
PoliteMan
I'm not sure we're disagreeing on principles so much as degrees. Here's the gear I usually use for low-level HRT teams, UCAS soldiers, etc.

Ware: Military Suite
Muscle Replacement III 15,000 3.0
Wired Reflexes I 11,000 2.0
5.0*1.2*0.9=5.94
26,000*0,5*0.9=11,700
Armor: 24,100
Softweave Medium Military Armor with Helmet, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement 3, and Thermographic.
Weapon: 3,865
Ares Alpha with Stock, Gas Vent 3, Shock Pad, and Airburst Link.
Recoil: 7
Ammo: 100 rounds of ADPS
Micro Grenades: 3 Flash Bangs, 3 High Explosive.
Total: nuyen.gif 43,665

In general, I would encourage the use of used cyberware suites. It makes sense that companies would be able to afford their own customized cyberware suites for troops, making them used decreases cost greatly and enforces the uniformity/disposable nature of corpsec.
That's well below what a Sam can do but they can survive a lot and dish out a fair bit of damage with automatics/heavy weapons of 4.

Edit for blitz: I don't see HRT as a red dragon, especially since SR has dragons. In D&D, a good session has you kill everything because the game very carefully sets out level appropriate encounters. In SR, a good session is where you don't kill anyone because the planning was just that good. There's a big mindset switch involved there. How many newbie groups have you seen or heard of with the psychotic Sam who threatens or tries to kill everything? It's a cliche because it's very common.
Blitz66
If that's the problem, it's because someone didn't make it clear that gunning down all opposition wasn't the point. Personally, in such a group, let the psycho sammy play rear guard, and recruit his replacement tomorrow, because yikes. I'm a new player myself, but this is a game of a small band of criminals against extremely powerful entities of all types, and you don't survive that kind of thing by standing and slugging it out, as the fluff makes abundantly clear.
Mardrax
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Aug 4 2011, 01:39 AM) *
Like you said, it's all about the bottom line, and having a competitor lose all three factories has got to help somebody's quarterly profits.

Except you don't want them destroyed. You want their valuable research and production data copied, and the originals destroyed, earning you the fruits of years of their labour for the cost of hiring one runner team. With no one to implicate you when you release a slight variation on the product for the holiday season.

Oh, and for those who argue penny-turning accountants: really now?
What do you presume just one year-long research project is worth?
How's about when it nears reaching fruition in a couple years?
How's about its lead researcher, who can lead these this well as long as we keep up the leonisation treatment?
How's about a facility that houses several of these projects on varying scales?
How's about several of these facilities?

Because that's the value that HTRT team will be defending, among other things. And on that kind of scale, that investment of 10 million is laughable.
Faelan
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 3 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Huh? We're discussing corporate HRT teams fighting armed intruders to a corporate building aiming at espionage, sabotage, or assassination. In a game called Shadowrun. If we were discussing a general campaign, or a mercenary mission, or a "ancient/arcane mysteries" mission, or any of the alternatives I'd totally agree with you. And yes, very rarely a team might risk their lives to break into a highly secure facility for something other than money. I don't think those 1-in-a-hundred runs are what's being discussed. And there's a real danger to viewing HRT as the corporate protagonist, there's a danger in promoting a "GM v PC attitude". When the Johnson is the protagonist, the goal is for the run to succeed, when HRT is the corporate protagonist, the goal is for the run to fail.

No actually we are discussing this:

QUOTE ('MikeKozar')
I'm working on a write-up of my defense-in-depth security template, and I'm looking at my Heavy Responders. This is a tricky slot to write-up in advance, since the whole idea of a HRT is to put the fear of corporate wrath into the PCs; A Heavy Response Team needs to represent unquestionably overwhelming force. At the same time, I'd like to inject some of the corporate personality that Shadowrunners are rebelling against, in the sense that these guys are cookie-cutter cannon fodder, not as special or as tricked-out as the PCs.

I don't see anything about espionage. There is nothing about the context at all, though the location is mentioned later on. So once again someone is imagining things. Also a note to what I said about the corporate protagonist:

QUOTE ('Faelan')
HTRT are the protagonists if you are the corper.

You know like from the point of view of the people the Shadowrunners are doing things to. Likewise from their point of view the Johnson would be an antagonist. Got it, read the posts if you want to have a discussion that makes sense.

Thank you for serving but I think that experience is going to work against you here for a simple reason:
The USMC is not (I hope) a profit-maximizing corporation. A Megacorp is.

The fact that I have owned a business for ten years should have no bearing on my ability to understand what maximizing profit is either. The books cleary disagree with you on this point. HTRT exist, in numbers, and every Megacorp has them, because otherwise the other Megacorps would eat them for breakfast.

No one suggested that runners were not individually better than HTRT, so the below scenario is rather pointless, not to mention trying to get everyone to agree to what you have presented as an average expense scenario would be futile so I am essentially going to ignore it and skip on to the rest of your post.

I think your experiences as a GM are unique in several ways:
#1 Most of us do not have a surplus of fellow gamers to play with. Look at poor CanRay, who's been trying to find a group in the frozen wastes of Canada since dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I have lived in multiple cities, states, and even countries and have never had a problem getting a group together. Also I know I am not some unique flower because I have many friends I don't game with who also GM and never seem to have a problem getting a group together. I truly feel sorry for your pain, but I have to say the only place I have ever seen this shortage is on boards like these. I have suggestions for getting in touch with other gamers but I don't want to seem rude or presumptious, so if you want them please PM me.

Once again ...what I said was:

QUOTE ('Faelan')

Why would my fun be ruined...let me think...could it be because from that day on you will always be expected to cave to the players demands no matter how outlandish, ridiculous, or foolish they are. Read all the posts again you might begin to understand where I am coming from with the TPK being a direct result of WAITING FOR THE HTRT to get there. Is that stupid 99.9999% of the time. Heck yes. As a GM you are there to help bring a world to life for the players, and a world without consequences is just a case of being there to help them with their mental masturbation. Lastly to answer your question I have had nothing but good things come out of TPK's and character deaths in small doses. The last time I actually had a TPK was in 1993, the campaign following that quick cluster lasted over 3000 gaming hours in a two year period. You know why because they knew I was going to deliver a real challenge, and if they screwed up bad enough they would pay dearly. So they did their best not to screw up, and the hammer did not fall.

#3 SR tends to throw new players because the violence is a lot more brutal and it requires much more stealth and subtlety than D&D or a lot of common RPGs. The only players I've seen who quickly adjust to the SR mindset are Trail/Call of Cthulu players.

1. You are the only person talking about new players.
2. The violence in SR is no more brutal than any other RPG.
3. SR does require more stealth or subtlety than D&D unless your GM makes it so.
4. Any RPG requires stealth or subtlety if the GM makes it so.
5. I have taken complete RP newbies and turned them into hardcore gamers.

Your problem is that you are applying the same kind of exclusivity I used to see Vampire players pull. Many of my players have also been D&D only gamers, and now they play just about anything. The second you realize it is just a game, and not THE GAME, you will be a lot better off.
Faelan
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 3 2011, 07:58 PM) *
I'm not sure we're disagreeing on principles so much as degrees. Here's the gear I usually use for low-level HRT teams, UCAS soldiers, etc.

Ware: Military Suite
Muscle Replacement III 15,000 3.0
Wired Reflexes I 11,000 2.0
5.0*1.2*0.9=5.94
26,000*0,5*0.9=11,700
Armor: 24,100
Softweave Medium Military Armor with Helmet, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement 3, and Thermographic.
Weapon: 3,865
Ares Alpha with Stock, Gas Vent 3, Shock Pad, and Airburst Link.
Recoil: 7
Ammo: 100 rounds of ADPS
Micro Grenades: 3 Flash Bangs, 3 High Explosive.
Total: nuyen.gif 43,665

You realize you are using retail costs. The cost for the Megacorp that makes them is should we say less. Training the personnel is the biggest expense, not the gear.

In general, I would encourage the use of used cyberware suites. It makes sense that companies would be able to afford their own customized cyberware suites for troops, making them used decreases cost greatly and enforces the uniformity/disposable nature of corpsec.
That's well below what a Sam can do but they can survive a lot and dish out a fair bit of damage with automatics/heavy weapons of 4.

Corpsec is disposable if you want your bodyguard to turn on you at the worst time. They are disposable, but it sure as hell is not done lightly. These guys are not some worker drones in the factory.

In D&D, a good session has you kill everything because the game very carefully sets out level appropriate encounters.

If you are a beginner sure, and after the first few sessions the experienced GM does not use CR or level appropriate encounters, or better yet is not using anything later than 2nd Edition , I know I am a grognard...whatever.

In SR, a good session is where you don't kill anyone because the planning was just that good.

If you are playing a mirrorshades game.

There's a big mindset switch involved there.

Not really. It is entirely dependent on the GM to set the mood, and present the themes. If that is the kind of game he wants he will do it regardless of system.

How many newbie groups have you seen or heard of with the psychotic Sam who threatens or tries to kill everything?

Not many actually. Most people realize that if you threaten to kill a stone cold killer he is likely to kill you the second your back is turned. It is kind of common sense.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Aug 4 2011, 08:24 AM) *
Oh, and for those who argue penny-turning accountants: really now?
What do you presume just one year-long research project is worth?
How's about when it nears reaching fruition in a couple years?
How's about its lead researcher, who can lead these this well as long as we keep up the leonisation treatment?
How's about a facility that houses several of these projects on varying scales?
How's about several of these facilities?

Security isn't just HRT though. Corporate Download (SR3) had an interesting section where they broke each corp down by a number of factors. We'll drop PR and Black Ops, because they're not really applicable, so that leaves:
Intelligence (because if you know they're coming, they're not a threat)
Counter-Intelligence (because the more they know about you, the less secure you are)
Efficiency (Because if it takes command fifteen minutes to analyze the intrusion and decide to dispatch HRT, it doesn't matter how fast HRT is, the shadowrunners are already gone).
Physical Security
Matrix Security
Magical Security

Let's add HRT as a seventh group (normally I'd put them in Physical Security, with some support from Magical and Matrix, but this gives them a lot more money and reflects a corp that really values it's HRT).

Now take a billion nuyen research lab. This corp has decided to spend 20% of it's budget on security (pretty high, all things considered, they haven't even hired anybody or built/bought the site)
So that's 200 million nuyen for security.
Split that evenly among all the departments, that's about 28.5 million nuyen for HRT.
Say there's only 30 HRT members, enough to guard that facility round the clock but other facilities will need to chip in if they want HRT coverage.

Now consider that 5 million for Alphaware Wired Reflexes III. Would you include that in the team? You still need to hire elite troops, buy the rest of their ware, equipment, transport, etc. For me, that's a maybe, leaning towards yes. Which is how it should be, a corp which spends a lot of money on security, and a lot of money on their HRT, would probably spring for that extra boost at a very important facility. Ares or Renraku probably would. But this is giving the HRT a huge cut of the budget and every other department (Matrix Security, Counter Intelligence, etc) has about 4.5 million nuyen less than than their equivalent competitor. Is that tradeoff worth it? Is your facility more secure if you have a stronger HRT team and weaker Matrix Security, or Intelligence, or any of the other factors?

This comes back to my original point. In the security for any installation, there's so many different groups doing so much different stuff, the only way HRT gets their great gear is other groups suffer serious cuts. Everyone is going to focus on different things. Some corps will go heavy on HRT, like Ares and Renraku, and others are going to focus on different areas.

QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 2 2011, 06:19 PM) *
Sticking around for the HTRT should likely result in TPK, especially with new players.

Going back to the OP. I think the dividing line here is whether HRT implies superior tactics/gear to the PCS, resulting in a TPK, or if HRT implies equal/slightly below PC level tactics and gear, resulting in a brutal fight where the PCs can make a tactical retreat (or just run away screaming). I tend towards the later and I think that's where your original build was. I wouldn't encourage you to increase it to automatic TPK levels for three reasons.
#1 I don't think it's realistic. The logistics, the economics, the corporate policy, only a few corps are realistically going to devote those kind of resources to their HRT teams.
#2 No one likes TPKs. Why would you increase the odds that the team is gonna get wiped out by one player's temporary stupidity when a weaker HRT will get the exact same effect (the PCs running)?
#3 Each corp is different and that's half the fun of it. Some corps should have strong HRT teams, some should have weak ones. Other corps should have excellent Matrix security, or Magical security, or something so every corp is a bit different.

I'm not quite sure where this is going at this point. I fell like I've gone over these points a couple times and I don't see anyone changing their minds. *shrug*

Mike, I would recommend using the cybersuite rules for you corp HRT team though.
toturi
As I see it, players have 2 primary options in dealing with HRT (or its alphabet soup cousins),
1) Force
2) Finesse

Either you have enough force to go through the HRT or you have enough finesse to make the HRT irrelevant. Users of force tend to be labelled "Pink Mohawk", users of finesse "Mirror Shades/Black Trenchcoat". I do not advocate either approach in my games, both are equally valid and players have to adapt and base their response on the merits of the situation. Sometimes it will be (in that I as the GM think it is) better to use brute force. Sometimes finesse works better.

What I do stress to my players is that whatever path they choose for their characters, they had better make sure they are really good at it. If you are using force, be sure to be able to take down the security response. If you choose finesse, make sure you can (and enable your team mates to) avoid detection.
Blitz66
As you know, PoliteMan, I had some of the same objections you state in your post, and I think they're perfectly reasonable still. What got me reconciled (enough) to Faelan's POV was just a shift in emphasis.

You're still reading it as I initially was. "Sticking around for the HTRT should likely result in TPK" Which makes HTR the big issue. Try reading it this way. "Sticking around for the HTRT should likely result in TPK" Sticking around on-site means that you're going to get surrounded by security personnel of some sort. If you're surrounded by a police barricade, are you screwed because SWAT is on its way, or because you're surrounded by a police barricade and they can keep bringing in resources all day long and there's not a thing you can do to stop them or get away? And if you're not penned in on-site, what are you doing hanging out for so long that HTR showed up? You should be long gone!

If HTR didn't exist, you'd still be screwed, because they'll call in reinforcements from somewhere, and you don't want to be there, whether it's more security just like the rest, the Village People, or the Avengers, because a small special ops style team stuck in enemy territory with no way out is just not looking at a happy ending. If you're not gone before it becomes an issue, then you're dead.
PoliteMan
Blitz:
I have to admit, that's persuasive, although that's not the vibe I'm getting from Faelan. Maybe I'm just misreading him.

I'd still rather go for HRT not being a TPK because you can get some epic moments out of it.

Say we're on a run, five minutes from the target, and someone screws up, fails a infiltration roll, forgets to erase the Access Log, or just does something dumb. HRT is on it's way.

If HRT is a TPK, then we make a quick calculation. If we can make it to the target and back out with some leeway time, then we go for it. If not we run for it. Done, failed, 'cause there's no point in trying to fight HRT.

If HRT isn't a TPK, then we "get dangerous". The Sam pulls out his "special occasions" gun; the Mage starts looking up the overcasting rules; the Face drops Kamikaze, Cram, and Jazz; the Hacker preps the system crashing worm/virus; and Rigger gets ready to drive through a wall with his "tank" to get us out once we've got the target. It's fragging GO time. It's gonna cost us, we're gonna be shooting it out with the best, just trying to get away, and there's a good chance one of us will die. At best, the corp is gonna be scouring the city for whoever shot up their prize facility and we're gonna be eating rats for a month. But there's still a chance.

If HRT is a TPK, then the run is ten minutes from done, one way or another. If HRT isn't a TPK, then the run is ten minutes away from epic.
Blitz66
PoliteMan, I was just trying to reconcile the argument, but wow. I like the cut of your jib. Sounds like the GM has decided that finesse only works part of the time, and the only way to win this one is to either walk away or let your hair get tall, linear, and a light reddish color - and every once in a while, that can be cool as hell.

I'm definitely in agreement that HTR shouldn't be a definite TPK. Probably going to be a death or two in the scenario you describe, but if the payoff is good enough, it just might be time to roll the dice.
Faelan
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Aug 3 2011, 09:53 PM) *
Blitz:
I have to admit, that's persuasive, although that's not the vibe I'm getting from Faelan. Maybe I'm just misreading him.

For the most part you are.

I'd still rather go for HRT not being a TPK because you can get some epic moments out of it.

Sure you can get epic moments out of it, the problem is when? You keep talking about new players, which in my mind means new characters, which to me = TPK. Think of it as a sliding scale where Newbies have zero margin for error, and Prime Runners have a shitload of margin for error, but regardless if you WAIT for them to get there and get surrounded, numbers will eventually tell the tale. If yo WAIT for HTRT they set the OODA loop, if you are doing something other than waiting like trying to get away you begin to get into their OODA loop. The better you are the better you will be at doing that increasing your survival chances.

Say we're on a run, five minutes from the target, and someone screws up, fails a infiltration roll, forgets to erase the Access Log, or just does something dumb. HRT is on it's way.

If HRT is a TPK, then we make a quick calculation. If we can make it to the target and back out with some leeway time, then we go for it. If not we run for it. Done, failed, 'cause there's no point in trying to fight HRT.

If HRT isn't a TPK, then we "get dangerous". The Sam pulls out his "special occasions" gun; the Mage starts looking up the overcasting rules; the Face drops Kamikaze, Cram, and Jazz; the Hacker preps the system crashing worm/virus; and Rigger gets ready to drive through a wall with his "tank" to get us out once we've got the target. It's fragging GO time. It's gonna cost us, we're gonna be shooting it out with the best, just trying to get away, and there's a good chance one of us will die. At best, the corp is gonna be scouring the city for whoever shot up their prize facility and we're gonna be eating rats for a month. But there's still a chance.

If HRT is a TPK, then the run is ten minutes from done, one way or another. If HRT isn't a TPK, then the run is ten minutes away from epic.

That is all fine and dandy but epicness is always salted by how easy it was. If that happens for a bunch of new inexperienced characters, it is not epic, it is Monty Haul. If it is for a group of experienced veterans, then it is pretty friggin epic. It would not be epic if it were not a real threat, and it cannot be a real threat if a TPK is not in the cards at all. Whether it is or not in fact as long as the players believe it is, and I just don't see how many times you can smoke and mirror it without ever delivering. I mean at least a serious stay in the hospital.
suoq
QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 4 2011, 05:26 AM) *
For the most part you are.

As far as I can tell, you're getting killed by your own hyperbole.

I realize on dumpshock as well as much of the rest of the internet, that in order to state a case, one often feels they must overstate a case. That being said, lets take a second and look at how this got started:
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 30 2011, 07:45 AM) *
If they are flying in they will secure the perimeter, cover avenues of approach and escape, with fire, personnel, or mechanical assets. This includes air, ground, water, and underground routes. They will do so as quietly as possible, and utilize any video feeds to prioritize targets. Your runner team has to leave the facility at some point, and when it does the highest threat individual is taking a .50 caliber Raufoss round to the grape.

Here is the situation as you have painted it.
1) You've explained the shadowrun team has no chance to escape.
2) You've explained the shadowrun team is likely to not know the response team is out there.
3) You've explained that the shadowrun team will find out about the threat when their "highest threat individual is taking a .50 caliber Raufoss round to the grape".

You then start claiming a bunch of IRL experience, which quite honestly, I doubt anyone cares about. Those that do believe you should at least realize that shadowrun has nothing to do with real life and more than an action film does. But moving on.

QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 30 2011, 12:58 PM) *
I would not hit them in the facility, they have to leave, they are getting ambushed, and I have no problem giving an HRT team whatever they need to remain undetected.
Once again if HRT shows up you are screwed, and if you are not the GM is simply not running them as a threat.

So you confirm what you said above. if the characters are detected and HRT shows up, the characters are screwed and from the description of surrounded and sniper shots, that certainly sounds like a TPK to me.

OK. So the characters need to be undetected or know that they've been detected and get out before HRT shows up.
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 30 2011, 06:46 PM) *
The run that never gets detected never happens. You will get detected the question is when.

Nevermind. They need to know that they've been detected and get out before HRT shows up
QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 2 2011, 05:19 AM) *
Having a team of these within 10 minutes essentially means in Shadowrun that you have a team like this covering a roughly sixty mile radius of a major metropolis.

So the HRT can move at an average of 360 miles per hour and get ready while doing so. The characters IF they know they've been detected have 10 minutes to wipe their traces and clear the facility past the perimeter that will be set up. And wiping all traces is necessary because
QUOTE (Faelan @ Aug 1 2011, 08:30 PM) *
If they have not captured them, other teams will begin a manhunt, forensics units will arrive, and everything will be documented. If the Shadowrunnners did things right they go on the lam and disappear in the night because they were already gone, when the HTRT got there.

So, what you've painted for everyone, is essentially, an unwinnable scenario. Something I believe most people playing a role playing game have no interest in. There is no character growth here, there is only
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 30 2011, 07:44 PM) *
buy a cemetery lot because you will likely need it in the near future.

If you don't understand why, as written, this doesn't sound like fun or good advice for a new GM then there's not much anyone can do to change your mind. Please understand that the "Not Fun" reaction people are having is going to cause them to disagree with you. They then have to say something before some new GM thinks they agree with you and employes the same level of severity you employ at their table. I'm all for a kick-ass HRT team, but I'm also for the players coming up with a solution and pulling it off. I'm there to create an exciting story with them, not run a brutal simulation that demands perfection. If you want to call that "Monty Haul" feel free. It wouldn't be the first time in this thread you've looked down on the people who disagree with you.
PoliteMan
But if you always default to TPKs, there's no room to improvise, no room to create cool scenes, there's "escaped alive" or "dead". If HRT doesn't mean a automatic TPK, there's tons of room to improvise, as a GM you have a million different options, your players have intentionally put themselves in a very difficult situation and they're expecting danger and consequences. You're free to think up any nasty consequences you want.

It's not (at least hopefully) like PCs hear "HRT inbound" and think "Well, time to get a cup of coffee". They're not just sitting around like morons; they're trying to achieve the mission, even though they know their odds are dropping by the minute. Maybe they need to finish this mission or they don't eat next month, maybe they hate corp X and they're willing to risk death to hurt them, maybe they just have a string of bad rolls. Do these things deserve a TPK?

There's a ton of space between TPK and Monty Haul campaigns. Individual players can die, they can lose limbs, their cyberware can be damaged or destroyed, they can be captured, they can escape but they're indebted to an NPC who drives the next mission, they can become the most wanted men in Seattle, etc. The GM has a huge amount of leeway, you can basically write the next session just based off the consequences of this run. Why would a GM intentionally limit himself to TPKs just for a "challenge" factor.

Because SR isn't a tactical simulator. Quite frankly, if all I wanted was a tactical challenge I'd go play a video game, or a wargame, or a different RPG. Of all the RPGs to use as a "challenging" system for players, why would you pick SR, a system infamous on these boards for imbalances and rule absurdities? We come for the story and the more options the GM has to craft his part of the story, the better it's likely to be. If HRT surrounds the players and you have to choose between a TPK and continuing the story, why would you automatically choose a TPK just for a challenge in a system that is blatantly not good at tactical simulations.

Finally, if there's anything that's going to depress new players, it's a TPK. It kills the story, because the PCs are integral to the story, and it has a tendency to punish new players more heavily because they don't know how to build characters. An optimized character out of chargen is likely to beat a sample character with 100 Karma. I honestly can't imagine dropping a TPK on a bunch of players still trying to learn to scan for nodes because they didn't run the moment HRT got called in.

Why would you limit yourself to TPKs when there's so many other fun and evil options to explore. I just don't get it, especially because SR is a poor "challenging" tactical game.

Edit (Slightly long):
Finally, while obliterating Anonymous Guard #3 silently with over whelming firepower is very "smart", eventually the players are gonna want more. The Sam wants to shoot it out with the Red Samurai, the Mage wants to face down greater spirits and master mages, the Rigger wants crazy chases with helicoptors and motorcycles and explosions, the Hacker wants to storm the unbreakable node and crash the system. At some point they're going to want to fight the elites, not the grunts, because those are the epic experiences we remember. Those are the climaxes of the story. And HRT is a great way to provide that, to create those memorable moments; you can't do that, however, if HRT is a TPK.
Kliko
Use an intermediary Fast Response Team for that.

Think lowly-paid orks choppering in with gel-round fed machine guns for clearing the facility, think drones for suppresive fire, think some nice shooting action for the players (which is at least fun for the street sam). Think smoke grenades, tear gas grenades, think action!

They still hang out for say more than 2-3 hours? Get the Corporate HTR, make it a challenge but offer a way out. Players screw up, ok. It happens, but remember whatever playing style you and the players prefer (make sure beforehand you're on the same level), the game is supposed to be fun!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012