Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 29 2011, 08:20 AM) *
Where do you get the wine from? But I pop painkillers like a real junkie. That, and chocolate bars.
Is there Yogurt?
hermit
No, sadly not. There're energy bars, whiskey, and beer, at least that's all I found. Oh, and canned cyborg food, which I presume is some sort of Soy.

Russian guy? Where is he exactly? Also, is there a second merchant in Hengsha, in addition to the guy in Hunghua Hotel?

3rd floor in the building where O'Malley (crooked cop) and this lab tech live. Up the stairs and to the end of the corridor, there's a door there that's openable, and there is the russian and his bodyguard. I sold every lootable gun from the Bangers safehouse in 4th floor to him. Nice cash.

And where is the guy in Hunghua? I searched for him, but beside someone out fo the blue trying to kill me there was just Mae and Edgar and a bunch of extras (civilians and hookers).
Tanegar
Can you, ahem, retain a hooker's services, then kill her to get your money back? biggrin.gif
LurkerOutThere
The two merchants (that I know of) in hong kong are one in the lowest level of the brothel behind a sliding door, he sells a rocket launcher. The other is in the garden hotel. Can't remember him selling anything of note.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 29 2011, 04:59 PM) *
Can you, ahem, retain a hooker's services, then kill her to get your money back? biggrin.gif

can't retain a hookers services period.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 29 2011, 10:53 AM) *
can't retain a hookers services period.
*Pfft* What kind of Dystopian Future is that?
Stahlseele
The only hooker that will talk more than one sentence is a cop.
hermit
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 29 2011, 04:59 PM) *

Nope, DX3 is not GTA. wink.gif

The only hooker that will talk more than one sentence is a cop.

Actually, no, the hooker extras also have each at least three sentences - two they alternatly say if talked to and one they say when just passing them by. Also, the hookers opposite the cop have an argument going about whether fucking cybered men is squicky or not when you first see them. That's quite a lot for NPCs who basically don't do anything.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 29 2011, 04:46 PM) *
3rd floor in the building where O'Malley (crooked cop) and this lab tech live. Up the stairs and to the end of the corridor, there's a door there that's openable, and there is the russian and his bodyguard. I sold every lootable gun from the Bangers safehouse in 4th floor to him. Nice cash.

And where is the guy in Hunghua? I searched for him, but beside someone out fo the blue trying to kill me there was just Mae and Edgar and a bunch of extras (civilians and hookers).

Third floor? The building next to basketball court, the only entry being a third-floor or fourth-floor window? That's Seurat.
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 29 2011, 05:31 PM) *
The two merchants (that I know of) in hong kong are one in the lowest level of the brothel behind a sliding door, he sells a rocket launcher. The other is in the garden hotel. Can't remember him selling anything of note.
Garden Hotel? Alice Garden Pod Hotel or Hengsha Court Gardens?
Critias
The wine comes from the Hive. It's lying all over the damned place in the VIP area, like a bottle on every table (or close to it). Also, you can order all the booze you'll possibly want (in addition to having another, potentially quite lucrative, conversation!) with the bartender in the Hive.

So, yeah. Power bars and liquor, that's the fuel for my cyborg hacker/killer.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 29 2011, 01:53 PM) *
So, yeah. Power bars and liquor, that's the fuel for my cyborg hacker/killer.

What, no rubber buns?
Stahlseele
Depending on how far the legs go, he may very well have rubber buns . .
Faraday
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Aug 29 2011, 09:36 AM) *
Garden Hotel? Alice Garden Pod Hotel or Hengsha Court Gardens?

Pod hotel, it's in the locker room on the first floor. Go to the left when you enter the main atrium and you should find it.

Also, merchants sell weapons -upgrades- which are quite useful and hard to find otherwise.
hermit
Nanofiber/smart alloy buns.

Also, anyone else notice how damn much Hengshua lower city resembles Shinra Slums? I wonder if there's a resistance group there too who think crushing the slums is a brilliant idea to really show them. Well, that and Barrett, hehe.
LurkerOutThere
I've beat it now, it's hold on me is broken and I can concentrate on the 100 other things I really need to get done. I liked the game, the ending was a bit underwhelming to be honest.
Faraday
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 31 2011, 07:05 PM) *
I've beat it now, it's hold on me is broken and I can concentrate on the 100 other things I really need to get done. I liked the game, the ending was a bit underwhelming to be honest.

Yar, I was saving all that laser cannon ammo for nothing...
I was at least hoping for a giant robot to attack or something.

Also, I noticed that Tracer Tong is a shout out to the Tracert command.
LurkerOutThere
He might be, but actually he's a fairly major character in Deus Ex: No additional title.
Faraday
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 31 2011, 09:44 PM) *
He might be, but actually he's a fairly major character in Deus Ex: No additional title.

I know, I played the original first. nyahnyah.gif
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Faraday @ Sep 1 2011, 05:51 AM) *
Yar, I was saving all that laser cannon ammo for nothing...
I was at least hoping for a giant robot to attack or something.

Laser cannon is awesome in the third boss fight. Especially when the moron tries to shoot you through a wall.
Also, I haven't expected what happened in the last level. Everything's going like the first Deus Ex, and suddenly BOOM! that.
Seriously Mike
Also, is it just me, or does Tai Yong Medical fulfill all the conditions of being your typical corrupt cyberpunk megacorp?
LurkerOutThere
Praxis seemed like a great stand in for Horizon. On the whole I was struck by how I wish SR embraced some of the transhumanism and augmentation culture expressed in HR rather then this constant undercurrent of cyber-hate.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 2 2011, 10:37 AM) *
Praxis seemed like a great stand in for Horizon.
You mean Sarif? Well, David Sarif may seem like a jerk sometimes, but in the end, he's pretty level-headed. Tai Yong, on the other hand...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 2 2011, 03:37 AM) *
Praxis seemed like a great stand in for Horizon. On the whole I was struck by how I wish SR embraced some of the transhumanism and augmentation culture expressed in HR rather then this constant undercurrent of cyber-hate.

Well, you know, it's from the 80s, when people lost their jobs to cyberlimbs, and katanas had +3 power due to being asian.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 2 2011, 02:39 AM) *
Also, is it just me, or does Tai Yong Medical fulfill all the conditions of being your typical corrupt cyberpunk megacorp?

I wouldn't say that. I mean sending private goons to kill people and all the shadow stuff is of course cyberpunky, very shadow runny. But the company itself, it's business practice of getting designs and producing by putting cheaper pieces in it, it not fiction, that's the Chinese business model. I find VersaLife is more the typical cyberpunk Corp, doing real shady shit, totally immoral stuff.
hermit
I wouldn't say that. I mean sending private goons to kill people and all the shadow stuff is of course cyberpunky, very shadow runny. But the company itself, it's business practice of getting designs and producing by putting cheaper pieces in it, it not fiction, that's the Chinese business model.

It more reminds me of American business practices abroad (and, the cutting back on quality for short-term profit, in general). The Chinese model is to steal someone else's blueprints, reverse engineer them, undercut anybody by paying shit, having no workplace safety, and dumping your toxic waste in the nearest river, and then cutting back on quality. Of course, TYM does that, too, with Sarif and other companies. It's more of a hybrid, taking the worst of both, really.

I find VersaLife is more the typical cyberpunk Corp, doing real shady shit, totally immoral stuff.

Yup, and are in it for the lulz, evulz and conspiracy weirdness instead of honest profit.

Side note: I love these world conspiracies who put their insignia up in the lobby of their seekrit lairs. The 802-11 building housing Eliza has both the Majestic 12 symbol and the Illuminati symbol in the first room. Because it's not a conspiracy theory if the conspiracy doesn't dump hints to it's true nature plainly for everyone to see. ^_^

And another boss who sucks. Meh. I guess I should have bought isolation skin?

Praxis seemed like a great stand in for Horizon.

You mean Picus? Yeah, they would be.

David Sarif may seem like a jerk sometimes, but in the end, he's pretty level-headed.

Sarif Industries is Spinrad, and so is David Sarif. Down to designer carved cyberlimbs and excessive cyberization.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 3 2011, 12:52 AM) *
You mean Picus? Yeah, they would be.

Oh, that went over my head. If we're comparing Horizon to Picus, my players are pretty much fucked. First, looking at how Horizon is described in CorpEnc, they're way more benevolent than Picus. Also, Picus isn't independent - it's only a front for the Illuminati, furthering their interests as much as Tai Yong did with the biochips, hostile takeovers and brute-force corporate warfare. And while we're at methods - Picus goes a bit farther than your typical Horizon "let's arrange a PR stunt", with blatant lies and doctored footage. Illuminati can afford to have Picus burned if someone successfully sues them for libel. Horizon can't take this kind of hit to their reputation.
hermit
Oh, that went over my head. If we're comparing Horizon to Picus, my players are pretty much fucked. First, looking at how Horizon is described in CorpEnc, they're way more benevolent than Picus. Also, Picus isn't independent - it's only a front for the Illuminati

Because Picus serves a different storystelling purpose in a different setting (and FWIW, most SR megas aren't independent by that reasoning either). Also, Horizon learly has something creepy going on with their mind-melt experiments (and even if this is a DX thread, might I mention Invisible war ...?) ... and who is behind Cline is up to anyone's guess. Cline, however, has been pretty much established as a figurehead.

So yes, Horizon, used like that, is a very dangerous enemy.

Picus goes a bit farther than your typical Horizon "let's arrange a PR stunt", with blatant lies and doctored footage.

In the first Horizon adventure, they do exactly that. They
[ Spoiler ]
So I don't see a difference there, really.

Illuminati can afford to have Picus burned if someone successfully sues them for libel. Horizon can't take this kind of hit to their reputation.

Entirely depends on who is pulling Cline's strings really.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 3 2011, 02:33 AM) *
and even if this is a DX thread, might I mention Invisible war ...?

Well, IW is a bad DX game, but it's still a DX game...
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 3 2011, 02:33 AM) *
In the first Horizon adventure, they do exactly that.

Oh, seems like I missed that one. Honestly, after D&D3 I have a certain disdain for splatbooks. As for CorpEnc, there are some hints that "the Consensus" might be something more than the literal sense would imply, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to go into the details who or, more exactly, WHAT runs Horizon. When you consider that they have that Pito Bandito thang going on and think what the P2.0 recordings can be used for, running in LA turns out to be a screw-up comparable to replacing your biochip in DXHR.
Faraday
I like how there re nigerian scam emails everywhere. Not sure how they got into the Singapore facility's network though.
CanRay
QUOTE (Faraday @ Sep 3 2011, 12:01 AM) *
I like how there re nigerian scam emails everywhere. Not sure how they got into the Singapore facility's network though.
Code phrases for sleeper cells?
hermit
When you consider that they have that Pito Bandito thang going on and think what the P2.0 recordings can be used for, running in LA turns out to be a screw-up comparable to replacing your biochip in DXHR.

Yup. Which is why it is totally insane for any halfway intelligent character to ever run in LA. Or have a Persona account.

Usually the least secure factor in a secure facility is the personnel. In other words: because some idiot didn't mind the security protocols. And just reading the spam it sends made me hate the TYM admins - "hey, we restricted your mailbox to 4 mails and now are spamming you to let you know your mailbox is nearly full because of our spam."

Critias
Did you see the email about why inboxes were limited to four emails? It's because one of their network guys' job is to read all of everyone's email, and he was complaining to the bosses that they had too much for him to keep up with.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 3 2011, 02:45 AM) *
Code phrases for sleeper cells?

Omigosh. Perfect cover for secret messenging.

I mean, who looks at those scam e-mails anymore?

-k
hermit
Did you see the email about why inboxes were limited to four emails? It's because one of their network guys' job is to read all of everyone's email, and he was complaining to the bosses that they had too much for him to keep up with.

Yeah. That added another layer of creepyness.

Bloody bossfight. I wish they'd t least prepare you for the one winning strategy of these ...
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 3 2011, 10:36 AM) *
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 3 2011, 11:59 AM) *
Omigosh. Perfect cover for secret messenging.

I mean, who looks at those scam e-mails anymore?

-k
And I didn't even know about the E-Mail Censorship, either.

Sometimes I scare myself.
Critias
I didn't get to play all week, and finally made some time for it today. Sneaking/slaughtering/hacking my way through the semi-abandoned Picus facility. I love, love, love, turning drones and turrets against their owners. There's just something terribly satisfying about it.
hermit
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 3 2011, 11:28 PM) *
I didn't get to play all week, and finally made some time for it today. Sneaking/slaughtering/hacking my way through the semi-abandoned Picus facility. I love, love, love, turning drones and turrets against their owners. There's just something terribly satisfying about it.

HELL YES. And then sit on the cameras and gleefully watch the carnage. Also true for towers and boxbotsw (haha, FEMA facility!). Though using the airducts and the camo field to pick off the enemy one by one and listen to them wonder what's going on is also nice.
Critias
Plus, finding a Praxis point in someone's cubicle drawer really made my day. I was used to finding credit chips for 40-50 cred, finding a Praxis was a nice surprise.
hermit
Ah, you found it too! ^_^ Looting really is fun in this game.
Stahlseele
The THree Sea-Shells are in the game too!
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 3 2011, 06:13 PM) *
Ah, you found it too! ^_^ Looting really is fun in this game.
So it's like a less-crappy Fallout? nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2011, 06:37 PM) *
The THree Sea-Shells are in the game too!
Don't tell me they're in the bathroom?

If so, do we see how they work? Or do you need to swear to use the bathroom?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 3 2011, 05:49 PM) *
Plus, finding a Praxis point in someone's cubicle drawer really made my day. I was used to finding credit chips for 40-50 cred, finding a Praxis was a nice surprise.

Ha, I found that one too.

As I play, really my only annoyance is the paltry ammo pickups. You pick up an ammo box and it has like 2 rounds in it. Heh, just like the first Deus Ex, I guess.
Tanegar
I rarely had difficulty finding enough ammo in Deus Ex. Were you playing on one of the harder difficulties?
hermit
As I play, really my only annoyance is the paltry ammo pickups. You pick up an ammo box and it has like 2 rounds in it. Heh, just like the first Deus Ex, I guess.

Yeah, that's a bit strange, especially given how the opponents unload on you before you kill/knock them out. I'm playing on hard, though, so I attributed it to that. Still, I usually have the ammo I need, if I conserve a bit and go for headshots. I also do a lot of close combat, if only because the little clips it is shown in are quite amusing.

So it's like a less-crappy Fallout?

Yup, though it has a much, much smaller world to be explored.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 4 2011, 04:55 AM) *
So it's like a less-crappy Fallout? nyahnyah.gif

Don't tell me they're in the bathroom?

If so, do we see how they work? Or do you need to swear to use the bathroom?

They work like this:
http://13monos.files.wordpress.com/2007/07...hells-print.gif
Explanation here:
http://www.poopreport.com/BMnewswire/three...lved_kinda.html
Also, see the loo in the picture?
You will find this exact picture built in the Deus Ex engine!

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 4 2011, 08:08 AM) *
I rarely had difficulty finding enough ammo in Deus Ex. Were you playing on one of the harder difficulties?

*shrugs* i have no qualms about shooting cops in the face for money and XP, and cops usually have the pistol, which i use as my main weapon . .
So i run around with about 200 shots of pistol ammo. and everybody who has a pistol gives me more, because BOOM! HEADSHOT!
Tanegar
Wait, you get XP for kills in Human Revolution? Lame.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 4 2011, 12:20 PM) *

People have been digging that since Shifter.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 4 2011, 02:08 AM) *

I play normal. But basically each guy you kill gives you anywhere from 1 to 5 rounds. Ammo pickups are likewise small. I am annoyed that, for example, the tranquilizer rifle takes up huge inventory space, but it seems like there are 50 rounds for it in the whole game. It just feels like such an inefficient use of inventory space to carry some of these weapons around, and yet once you slap a single upgrade on the weapon you don't want to discard it, either.

I remember when I played System Shock 2. I spent the whole game collecting and purchasing bullets, but I never fired them. I waited till the end of the game to collect the battle rifle and a whole bunch of maintenance kits, and then just went postal on the entire endgame.

I guess I'm a completionist. If I shoot one bad guy, I then want to shoot them all. So I need lots of ammo.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 4 2011, 07:20 PM) *

Oh yes, the whole TEN of them! TWENTY if you land a headshot! ohplease.gif
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 4 2011, 08:32 PM) *
I am annoyed that, for example, the tranquilizer rifle takes up huge inventory space, but it seems like there are 50 rounds for it in the whole game.

Odd. I did have problems with pistol ammo and, in some places, with tranquilizer darts, but there was always plenty of SMG and assault rifle ammo. And in some levels, tranquilizer and stungun darts were laying around every corner.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 4 2011, 07:20 PM) *

you get more for non lethal takedowns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012