Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Wounded Ronin
I cannot believe they implemented stuff like that.

I wish people would just come out with more Deus Ex content.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 11 2011, 08:10 AM) *
See, in my opinion, that's less fun than shooting him a bunch of times while dodging stuff.

I, knowing it would screw me somewhere down the line, took the biochip upgrade, so my fight with Namir was actually pretty difficult. None of your augs work and your vision is all screwy. Was actually really fun.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 12 2011, 11:11 AM) *
I cannot believe they implemented stuff like that.

I wish people would just come out with more Deus Ex content.

Eh, the Unreal Revolution mod is more or less poking fun at the current industry tropes of DLCs, regenerating health, etc.

There's plenty of other DX mods at moddb.com

-k
Tiralee
I broke down and bought this because the online presence was driving me mad with lust (I usually get a collector's edition at $20 from the bargin bin) and was happily surprised.

1: I like the cover mechanic - using the 360, so that could be a better/worse for other platforms. I also like how you have to hold (forgetting to trigger "don't hug wall" was the number one reason why I die in cover-based shooters) to "stick" to the wall. Also, "rule of cool" during a firefight.

2: Grenades are awesome! I'd also like more than 3 rounds from a god-damned box of ammo.

3: Mods! You don't have to swap out "same" weapons because one got the silencer and the other got a reload-speed and you got mixed up. I had no idea where I picked up my first armour-piercing mod, but it was a shock to find that I'd had it installed previously (That, the laser and the silencer = Security Guardamegeddon)

4: Humour! There's the music that does sound, sadly, like the original menu music. Two guards discussing how one almost had a vending machine fall on him the other day (China, infiltrating the data-core, outside balcony) and that it'd be an ironic and laughable death...Yeah, they read our minds on that one. How all the toilets have a vent that's sealed right where long-time players of the Original automatically crouch and try to use...apart from 2, I think? Stuff like that. Oh, and tossing bodies, tossing fridges, walking over half the bloody map to find another fridge/bin/photocopier (Bloody Newspaper level) because I thought that finally getting some stealth over super-leaping legs was a good idea... Oh, and the emails. God. Nothing like blowing through a bunch of nukes because you had a bad run and you almost finished it...to find nothing on the damn computer but an Nigerian email.

5: Story. It's been good so far. Although the household was shouting at the screen for our first meeting with the Dragon Lady, "SHOOT HER, she's lying, you've read her damned emails! Why are you still talking to her, you don't need the little doohicky to know this!"

Cons:
1: Forgetting that the reason why I find Original Deus easy is because I've PLAYED IT FOR 10 YEARS. This did require a massive rethink after my 6th reload for something I was SURE I could do.... Humbling to crank it down to "Tell me a story", let me tell you.

2: Ammo. I might not use much, but I'd like more. Would LOVE to be able to reuse some of the crossbow bolts.

3: Cutscenes are ok-good. Some rubberbanding (are all these people riding the wire?) and the mannerisms did seem forced at times. The voice of the protoganist, calm but deep during a furious firefight, becomes Christian-Balesque and shouty during a cutscene...someone's gonna remix it.

4: Difficulty goes Down! Although that's more likely to to actually getting a handle on Augs and knowing that 2 guys come out here, and the stragger can be gotten here...

5: Praxis points...sweet addictive praxis points, I wants them Baggins! 3 At each LIMB clinic would have done nicely....Not too many people (apart from the packmule builds) could afford that much, unless they did some serious bystander/security harvesting.

Don't do this:
1: Don't be a hacker without sleeze (Stealth enchancement: hacking) Yeah, the other SR-player in the house face-palmed at why I was shouting at myself when she realised what I'd been doing.
2: Who needs Dermal Armour? You do buddy. Get it. Live a little longer.
3: Run towards the beeping/flashing noises, thinking they're a mine to be defused ala Fallout 3. It's a mine, yes. Run, noooooooo......
4: Burn through your pistol ammo on the sentry bots. That shit be rare, yo.
5: Don't forget if you open up the quick inventory it's HOLD Y, not "Press: Toss Mine at Pritchard. Or Civillian. Or police officer....you get the picture.
6: Pick the tranq rifle. It's a waste of pixels.

Do This!
1: Explore! Try new things, meet new people and kill them.
2: Eat and drink. Nothing quite like trying to walk through the Hive with a couple of beers, wine and the cocktails churning through your system.
3: Have fun, buy the game, wish they'd re-relaese Deus Original with these graphics and playability...

-Tir
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Sep 13 2011, 07:00 AM) *
6: Pick the tranq rifle. It's a waste of pixels.

Hold on, Tranquilizer Rifle is useless to you?! Well whatcha gonna say about the folding hairdryer, er, Stun Gun?!
Faraday
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 13 2011, 12:02 AM) *
Hold on, Tranquilizer Rifle is useless to you?! Well whatcha gonna say about the folding hairdryer, er, Stun Gun?!

He probably hasn't gotten the lead system yet.
KarmaInferno
The Tranq rifle does take a bit to get used to. The shots need a few seconds to take effect, and the reload time is pretty long.

It is best used from cover, where enemies can't immediately locate you if their buddy suddenly slumps over. With some skill, you can knock out one guy, and as each of the other guards in the area goes to investigate the fallen body, tranq them too before they wake up the previous guys. Most patrolling guards have spots in their patrol paths where they stand still for a few seconds, so you might not even need the target-leading system - I never bothered getting it.

-k
Rastus
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 13 2011, 03:02 AM) *

The stun gun is a magic wand that makes problems go away, that's what it is. Guard getting to close you your corner? Abra-kadabra! Camera's and laser traps? Alakazam! Securty bots that need naps? BAM! Bosses that need to goddamn stay still? Mazal tov! After all my time playing SR, I never realized a mere taser was such wonderous weapon with so many uses.

Also, I wish you could toss bombs in the Sarif Offices. Leaving a gas mine under Pritchard's desk would be the perfect way to let him know I care.
Tiralee
Considering the "lack of ammo supply" for the tranq rifle, hell yes it's useless unless you're a comitted pacifist.

The taser is vastly powerful, something I learnt to my shame when battling the second boss last night, after dumping the shockwand of joy for a tricked out Heavy rifle....that was only really effective after I absent-mindedly tossed out an EMP mine thinking it was a frag.

Oh, and for the first time, I've successfully hacked a turret BEFORE killing everyone on the damn level. Tossed that sucker into the travelator and strode around in the lower levels holding my new friend in front of me like a boss. Need to hack a door? No worries, "hey R2, massacre anything that comes this way while I farm xp?" <Beep! Beep!>

And back in Detroit, so damned disappointed that I can't toss a turret through a manhole, it would make farming the police for shiny soo much easier. (Say hello to my 4 little friends....)

Liking the plot, managed to save the pilot, totally forgetting my tricked-out typhoon with 15 rounds of ammo left when running into a firefight, screaming "Red FACTION!" ...I think it sort of must have distracted them, being in communist China and all... smile.gif

Loot, loot, loot the bodies. No, I don't need another 4 containers of bioenergy foods. Hell no, I'm not getting my biochip swapped out, not in-country...now, where's the whorehouse? I've got rifles to sell.

-Tir
LurkerOutThere
At some point in China you can break intoa garage where the computer has a chat log where they explicitly go over the plan to force people to swap their biochips. That was enough of a suggestion for me not to replace it unless they made it story mandatory to continue.
LostProxy
The first thing I realized as I went through DE:HR was wow SR cyberlimbs suck compared to these. Which immediately killed my dreams of making a Jensen character. That and the essence cost.
Tiralee
And yes, to all you haters out there, I HAVE now used the tranq rifle - the "must not kill" side mission for Ms Generic Face in China2.
Yeah, this was going to be good... My most non-lethal option was the SMG, and that was because I'd just picked it up off a ganger and hadn't bothered to waste enchancements on it.

Was all set to head into the Gardens for some more sneaky/hurt in the capsule hotel and got a rude shock when the meeting place was downstairs (in the alley/open sewer) and had to "accidently" waste some Belltower employees who looked at me the wrong way.
NOTE: The revolver with explosive rounds is the best non-sneaky weapon yet! Knockdown, AOE and faster reloading that a shotgun:) I must have sold about 400 rounds of that ammo before I bothered to try it out... frown.gif

So, tranq rifle (found in a handy locked garage) installed that "leading fire mode" Mod I had floating about since China 1 and took a deep breath.

I wish I had more than 4 rounds for it though, although I did pick up a PEPs with 3 rounds.

4 shots, 4 headshots and then I ran in stealthed and accidently tossed a grenade.... Which was Gas. Ohshitohshitohshit...wait, mission completed, ghost? Merciful soul, etc, etc? I didn't realise gas grenades were a non-lethal option!

In hindsight, you could easily take them out in one hit with 2 well-placed gas grenades - duh me.

Oh and the best level so far has to be the shipyard! Robots and turrets to hack, cameras everwhere and I think one guy might have shot at me, not sure. Loot out the yin-yang as well...could really use a lot more mods/praxis but that has to be the easiest mission apart from the one in the Detroit Convention centre (Have leg mod 1, lift object mod 1, Find a toilet, crawl through a vent, drop down, hack the computers, move the box to beneath the vent, jump up, climb into vent again, get out about 4k xp richer.)

Also, I think there's a sidemission that's not documented, as I've found a machine pistol/ammo/credchip in the vents of the detroit convention centre and a sniper rifle in a vent above the gas Station with instructions to "shoot at someone, get them to fight and you'll be well-paid". Seems like someone's doing social engineering with rocks again.

As an aside, sort of disappointed that I wasted that Carlo fellow (that I let run free in the first mission) by accident when looking for information on the "Humanity" surgeon. I thought he was rather well-characterised. And Tong!~

-Tir
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Sep 14 2011, 07:24 PM) *
The first thing I realized as I went through DE:HR was wow SR cyberlimbs suck compared to these. Which immediately killed my dreams of making a Jensen character. That and the essence cost.

Yea this is what kind of made me sad too, all this cool transhumanism stuff that could be explored but can't because it might conceivably be something that mages couldn't do easily. /end rant

Actually a jensen bild sans hacking would be pretty easy, use a "what would sammy do" thread as a base line and make sure you get an internal airtank.
Critias
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Sep 14 2011, 08:24 PM) *

Uhh...what?

SR4A's cyberlimbs are the best cyberlimbs have ever been. You can totally make Jensen's arms in SR.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 15 2011, 05:31 PM) *
Uhh...what?

SR4A's cyberlimbs are the best cyberlimbs have ever been. You can totally make Jensen's arms in SR.

Actually, I did. However, the guy has so much hidden shit in himself you won't be able to fit it all even with deltaware. I mean, rebreather, jump boosters, Icarus, Typhoon, dermal armor, EMP shielding... You'd have difficulty fitting that on a tank, not to mention a guy.
Critias
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 15 2011, 10:37 AM) *
Actually, I did. However, the guy has so much hidden shit in himself you won't be able to fit it all even with deltaware. I mean, rebreather, jump boosters, Icarus, Typhoon, dermal armor, EMP shielding... You'd have difficulty fitting that on a tank, not to mention a guy.

But most of which has nothing at all to do with the statement "SR cyberlimbs suck."
Stahlseele
typhoon can't be done in SR i think . .
Icarus . . isn't that a nano hive with some healing nanites?
you'd have 4 points of essence lost for the arms and legs, you'd lost another 1,5 for the dermal armor.
and 0,4 for the lungs. Everything else can be placed into the limbs, right? O.o
Critias
I suspect Mr. Jensen wasn't the sort to be taking full essence loss for those augmentations, personally. wink.gif
Adarael
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 15 2011, 09:26 AM) *
typhoon can't be done in SR i think . .
Icarus . . isn't that a nano hive with some healing nanites?
you'd have 4 points of essence lost for the arms and legs, you'd lost another 1,5 for the dermal armor.
and 0,4 for the lungs. Everything else can be placed into the limbs, right? O.o

Nah, Icarus is the jump-from-any-height system.
Stahlseele
My calculations were done with standard grade.
I guess because he has beta or so . . oh, i forgot the eye-stuff too . .

so the icarus stuff is the hydraulic jacks for legs add-on.
X-Kalibur
Given Jensen's biology, it would be safe to say he has something to the effect of a Type O system that only works for Cyberware (as opposed to bioware). With that, you could fairly well recreate him.
Stahlseele
Isn't there biocompatibility for either bio or cyber?
Critias
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 15 2011, 12:26 PM) *
Isn't there biocompatibility for either bio or cyber?

Yeah, but it's only 10% (not the effective 30% of Type O).
Seriously Mike
Yes, but not as potent as Type O in regard to Bioware.
LostProxy
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 15 2011, 08:31 AM) *
Uhh...what?

What I'm saying is that cyberlimbs (torso and head included not just arms) take up tons of essence which makes it to fit other cyber in there. That's why they suck to me. I can either have 9/9/9 in one or two limbs or 6/8/8/ in everything plus room for MBW, Encephalon 2, synthcardium, etc. Really it depends on the build but for a generalist like Jensen I lost out on resources/essence giving him a limb and made them back when I replaced it with other implants. I ended up with much higher dice pools all around sans the limb(s).

But that's just derailing the thread. Agree to disagree?
Critias
No problem, I'm not bickering so much as just being confused/disagreeing with that one spot -- wherein you specifically said cyberlimbs suck. I think it's more an issue of overall essence capacity, and not so much with just cyberlimbs, unless I'm misreading or misunderstanding your overall complaint. Like I said, I really think cyberlimbs in the current edition are the best they've ever been, so it just caught be by surprise to see someone insisting they were garbage, I guess. No harm, no foul.
X-Kalibur
It occurs to me that the Icarus Landing System is a rather ill-omened named augment.

What next? The Hindenburg Fire Prevention System?

JFK Cranial Armor?

Stephen Hawking Marionette System?

Michael J. Fox Surgical Hands?
CanRay
Why not those? We already have the Stephen Hawking Spell'n'Speak. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
Icarus Landing System < = Icarus would wish to have this!
JFK Cranial Armor < = JFK would wish to have this too!
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 16 2011, 11:14 AM) *
Why not those? We already have the Stephen Hawking Spell'n'Speak. nyahnyah.gif

It looks like your utopia is more like a fruitopia.
CanRay
That's because I don't have AR on. Less Utopia and more Dystopia. wink.gif
Faraday
Deus ex has a lot of the elements of what Tactical AR software looks like to me.
Wounded Ronin
Jihadist Recoil Stabilization System
CanRay
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 16 2011, 08:27 PM) *
Jihadist Recoil Stabilization System
They have that. It's called putting your off-hand on top of the assault rifle the keep the recoil down as you hold down the trigger. nyahnyah.gif
Psikerlord
i haven't read this thread for fear of spoilers, as I'm only part way through Deus Ex ... but allow me to say - THIS GAME IS AWESOME. Very SR, like playing a street sam or hacker shooter merc or something. But without the magic of course. Very highly recommended.
hermit
Also, it has datajacks, jack-in hacking, a cute little Virtual Reality Dungeon minigame for hacking, and no AR or wireless connectivity.
Rastus
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 17 2011, 10:57 AM) *
Also, it has datajacks, jack-in hacking, a cute little Virtual Reality Dungeon minigame for hacking, and no AR or wireless connectivity.

Issat so? What do you suppose makes up the HUD and all the enviromental highlights? nyahnyah.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 16 2011, 09:44 PM) *
They have that. It's called putting your off-hand on top of the assault rifle the keep the recoil down as you hold down the trigger. nyahnyah.gif

Ha ha, then Jihadist Sustained Fire Heat Compensation System is a glove.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 15 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Yes, but not as potent as Type O in regard to Bioware.

Well maybe that's a problem, and to me more systematic cyber hate.
Seriously Mike
...hmm, does anyone have an idea how to remotely control a guy in SR? My idea involves a hot sim module, a simrig, an offsite rigger and a live sim feed with RAS override disabled. Basically, what the simrig picks up is sent to an offsite rigger, modified to elicit an appropriate response and fed back to the puppet onsite.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 20 2011, 03:05 AM) *
...hmm, does anyone have an idea how to remotely control a guy in SR? My idea involves a hot sim module, a simrig, an offsite rigger and a live sim feed with RAS override disabled. Basically, what the simrig picks up is sent to an offsite rigger, modified to elicit an appropriate response and fed back to the puppet onsite.

Force someone to enter a boxing event while you throw the punches without getting hit from the comfort of your living room.
Faraday
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 20 2011, 12:05 AM) *

You're looking for a Stirrup Interface. Augmentation: Pg 153
Stahlseele
Nowhere does it say it works on Metahumans though . .
Adarael
It also doesn't say it DOESN'T. wink.gif

Shockewellen had some interesting info related to that subject, though you'd have to be able to read German to make use of that.
Faraday
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 20 2011, 02:49 PM) *
Nowhere does it say it works on Metahumans though . .
Little reason to assume you couldn't, really. It's just usually not worth the expense.
LostProxy
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 15 2011, 08:53 PM) *
No problem, I'm not bickering so much as just being confused/disagreeing with that one spot -- wherein you specifically said cyberlimbs suck. I think it's more an issue of overall essence capacity, and not so much with just cyberlimbs, unless I'm misreading or misunderstanding your overall complaint. Like I said, I really think cyberlimbs in the current edition are the best they've ever been, so it just caught be by surprise to see someone insisting they were garbage, I guess. No harm, no foul.

You got it, I don't like them because they eat up essence so fast and there are so many things I need/want to cram into my weak flesh body. Personally I would prefer that more things could be fit into cyberlimbs. It would be nice if I could fit my encephalon 2 into a cyber skull or that my MBW took up capacity in my cybertorso instead of essence.

On subject though, your main weapon the Combat Rifle. Isn't that essentially an Ares HVBAR with armor piercing flechettes?
Faraday
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Sep 20 2011, 08:50 PM) *
On subject though, your main weapon the Combat Rifle. Isn't that essentially an Ares HVBAR with armor piercing flechettes?

Plus homing system. biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
Obligatory homing bullet link.

-k
Tiralee
3rd time through now - had a restart due to the fucked-up "Cloak and dagger" quest that made my 4 hours of sneaky-sneaky void and useless (Warning: Some of the gangers you've got to "remove" from around the murder witness Big-T or Jay -T warp into walls/next floor up/water tower next door (!))

..I swear, I'm double the amount of Praxis points that I was in my first two runthroughs.

Non-deadly takedowns and hacking every goddamned thing makes for some decent cred (56k...and I can't buy a thing with it!) and XP. Knowing how the weapons work also makes it an easier game, although I was about ready to shout at a lone civillian running for an alarm after I missed her for the 3rd time with the damned taser.
"I smash through walls" arm upgrade also gives you an extra 2 praxis points and a ton of xp from just wandering about the place, opening up windows of egress. And some hilarious takedowns.

Hacking: Yeah, get some skills, makes life easier. Interestingly, I've found that the level 3 zones are hardest overall. You don't get many level 4 (and even fewer level 5, I think 3 in detroit 1, 3 in China 1) but you just hoover up the extra Stop! and Nuke virus oneshots from the level 2 and 1 devices.
Turrets are fun, but far between. Robots are awesome fun. Cameras are teh debil. Subhume them all.

Guns!: Stick to a weapon and upgrade it. The Assault rifle with all the tricks I'm using as my sniper for 1 hit headshots atm. The 10mm is your go-to Predator clone, the Revolver with ExEx is the crowd-control tool of choice. I've found everything else either comes too late, has no ammo or simply takes up too much inventory real estate for the times you use it. Weapon choices as follows:
*The Heavy rifle is only to be used to sell to the gundealers. It has no real use apart from making everyone very aware of your presence during the wind-up 1 second gap between you pulling "fire" and the bulletstream flowing to your target.
*Plasma Rifle: it's the GEP gun, same high damage output, same looooong fire times.
*Laser Rifle: God, I so wish I could have got this back in detroit 1. Upgrade that thing and you turn into the terminator. Keep it and upgrade if you can for the end-endgame.
*Crossbow: Scoped, silent, has about 30 crossbow arrows total in game. Would be awesome if you could recover arrows ("Black Arrow, fly far, fly true!")
*Tranq Rifle: Ulgh. Oh, yes, once it's got the sighting guide installed, it will hit things. Who will run and scream before falling over. I think there's 80 rounds total for this elephant of a gun.
*Sniper/Silent Sniper: The D/L silent sniper is a nice weapon, 5 round mag (Versus the unupgraded 3-round in normal sniper), a little more shaky in the sights. Both have too little ammo, too much inventory realestate requirements.
Shotguns: Ok, I'll be honest here - I don't use them. As in ever.
Rocket-Launcher: Inventory hanger queen, only comes out to play when doing a screenshot nyahnyah.gif.
Grenades: God, loving these now. Gas grenades, ohh, save those little suckers, take out a guy, toss his body somewhere conspicious and then lob a grenade in there when his buddies start running. Lotsa fun.

Gameplay: ...you DO turn into a B/E Street Sammy, even if you really wanted to go all "Invisible Hulk Smash" on everyone. I've found that capping the guys I take down with non-lethal methods prevents their friends from slapping them into conciousness...it's very "Leon, the Professional" now. Find a guy, take him down, find a hidy-hole, drag him back there, equip the silenced pistol, iron-sight headshot, check for witnesses, rinse, repeat.
I used to headhsot them in the open, but looking back on a level, I was struck by the number of odd red splotches lying about the place...Ohh...

Tir Out:)
Wounded Ronin
If you shoot someone in the head with the tranq rifle they go down. It's just like the M9 in Metal Gear 2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012