Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
X-Kalibur
In a non-lethal playthru you learn to really love that tranq rifle, even before you get the guidance system for it, which is nice, but ultimately not all that useful when you can learn the drop on the darts.
Faraday
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 3 2011, 07:41 AM) *
If you shoot someone in the head with the tranq rifle they go down. It's just like the M9 in Metal Gear 2.

This. Also, if you shoot someone from behind but not in the head, they don't notice and keep walking for a while, then drop. This has actually come in handy. eg: tagged a guy walking by a camera, but didn't headshot. He keeps walking and ends up out of the camera LOS before falling asleep.
Tiralee
Yeah - that lag from shot, and where you shot the npc took some getting used to (I cleaned out Tong's parking garage using non-lethal techniques) but after the first couple, you could time the drop pretty well: Backshot the patroller, move, hide again, headshot his concerned buddy once the first one dropped, stealth over and takedown the 1-2 coming over because, "I think I heard something!". Good xp, better weapons/inventory nice things.

Although hacking a turret and walking around carrying that thing was also awesome fun.

Best fun yet? Montreal. there's 2 (!) turrets you can heft into the travelator which made the underground base assuault more of "I carry death here, put it down, go back, drop death 2 here, open door, move death one into the door, doors stay open and hostiles die now."

the maxxed-out laser rifle is a pimpstick of doom. The Assualt rifle very nice, the pistols, eh, they're pistols.
For a joke I tricked out the silenced sniper rifle. That thing will shoot through schools. Schools.

Although I also downloaded the explosive pack, I found the remote mine sachets a bit....meh. The Autounlocker was used twice, both times while under fire and I couldn't be bothered waiting through another fucking loadscreen from a previous save. Never did get around to using the Grenade launcher - that would have been awesome if it was an underbarrel attachment to some of the bigger guns.

- oh, and the "humanity first" choice...sucked.

-Tir
-Tir.
Critias
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Oct 6 2011, 06:28 AM) *
The Assualt rifle very nice, the pistols, eh, they're pistols.

You kiddin' me? A tricked out 10mm is a magical murderwand.
Tiralee
Yes, up to a point, the 10mm is the deathstick of choice, but after you start grabbing more than one guard's attention, you want something with which you can lean around a corner and paint the corridor.

Of course, with the Murdertron 4000 (the Laser Rifle) you can just shoot that thing through walls.

And versus turrets or robots, the 10mm ain't as much fun as the revolver with ExEx; 4-5 shots and that thing is down.

I sort of wish the stun-gun was upgradeable - having a 4-shot (Heh, Defiance Taser!) with faster reload would have been very cool.
The PEPS...yeah...not so fun.

Did I miss out on much by not using the shotgun/s and grenade launcher?

-Tir
Critias
Turrets and robots were largely non-issues (to my hacker), and I never really had much trouble with multiple targets with the 10mm. *shrugs* Different strokes, I guess.
Faraday
With multiple targets, you break out the grenades and then lay some non-lethal melee smackdown.
Seriously Mike
In case of multiple targets, you WAIT. Until one of them looks the other way or something like that. Then you whip out you 10mm RAPE CANNON (I used the pistol all the way through the game, the AP mod turns it into RAPE CANNON that takes out anything but the Ogres in one shot), nail one and wait til the rest finds him. Headshot, rinse, repeat. Unless you have to deal with cyberserkers in Panchaea. Then you pick up the conveniently available plasma cannon and just fire til they're all dead.
KarmaInferno
Funny, I just bypassed all the cyberserkers.

smile.gif

-k
Tiralee
Cyberserkers? I thought it was past time I used up all that typhoon ammo I'd been stockpiling... That, and 2 rounds of the ExExecutioner Revolver - Sure, hacking turrets is awesome fun, but so is enjoying the rag-doll physics of them all.

Tossing those ever-so explosive gas cylinders is fun, and cheap as well - you can get a chain-reaction happening when you're forced down and are under fire in China 2. (Discovered that by accident, the explosions just wouldn't stop for about 40 seconds.)

-Tir

Aaron
Dear Dumpshockers,

Thank you very much for turning me on to this awesome game.

Love,
Aaron
Stahlseele
*grins*
your poor little bit of free time ^^
Aaron
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 9 2011, 10:43 AM) *
*grins*
your poor little bit of free time ^^

True, although somehow things have lined up such that all of my non-day-job employers are delayed in assigning word count, so I get some free time. For now ...
Stahlseele
Good on you!
Everybody needs some time to tell the world to go fuck itself . .
Daishi
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Oct 2 2011, 09:05 PM) *
*The Heavy rifle is only to be used to sell to the gundealers. It has no real use apart from making everyone very aware of your presence during the wind-up 1 second gap between you pulling "fire" and the bulletstream flowing to your target.

I wasn't sure about the heavy rifle until I got it upgraded. Laser sight, cooling system and 4x ammo upgrades (200 rounds total), plus the recoil augmentations. You want everyone to come check out that mechanical whine coming from around the corner. Then don't forget to laugh maniacally as the bodies pile up on the floor. The long reload animation is actually satisfying when it only comes up after everyone is dead. The gun also minces the bosses (though not as fast as the typhoon).
Tanegar
OK, I took the plunge. (Thanks, 25% off Steam sale!) Now how do you eat things? One of the tutorials mentioned that you can replenish your energy by eating food items, but the one food item I've found so far went straight into my hotbar, where I couldn't do anything with it. Pressing the number key had no effect, and I couldn't drag the thing into my regular inventory, so WTF?
Seriously Mike
Pressing the number key should make you use the item. It will stay in the hotbar after you use all of them, though - it's confusing, but has its merits.
Tanegar
OMG, I just realized where I recognize one of the canned screams from: System Shock 2! Awesome.
Tanegar
I totally want to make a spur-wielding melee street sam now.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 21 2011, 04:56 AM) *
I totally want to make a spur-wielding melee street sam now.

...I already did. nyahnyah.gif
crash2029
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Oct 21 2011, 12:52 AM) *
...I already did. nyahnyah.gif

So did I.

Anybody play the missing link DLC yet?
Tanegar
Reached the end.
[ Spoiler ]
Faraday
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 24 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Reached the end.

I agree, I didn't really like any of the endings except for
[ Spoiler ]
Backgammon
I'm playing Missing Link, I'm at the final boss battle, so just about done.

Overall, it's a good DLC. Challenging, actually. I'm playing on Hard and I died a lot. You need to think about your sneaking, cause you don't want to get caught in a firefight and the sneaking "routes" aren't that obvious. It's a good challenge in the spirit of Deux Ex. The story picks up nicely towards the end, too.

Now, is it worth the roughly 20$ being asked? That is a steep price. If you're a solid fan of the game and have the money to spare, I recommend it. If you're tight on money and you decide to "splurge" on this, you might be disapointed by the length of gameplay.
LurkerOutThere
[ Spoiler ]

So far Backgammon's the first person I've heard say anything positive about missing link.
Wounded Ronin
Just played through the Missing Link.

It wasn't bad. It wasn't overwhelmingly interesting. The graphics and atmosphere were good. But it was definitely more of a combat mission in my opinion than Deus Ex: Human Resources. It was short so they had to put the screws in, and in my opinion either you went in and exterminated the enemy, or else in the enclosed spaces if you failed at stealth they'd all clump in on you and overwhelm you.

It was all right. I enjoyed it.
Wounded Ronin
Started playing through HR again on "Give Me Deus Ex". Last time my playthrough on normal difficulty was less lethal. This time, it's not.

Even on max difficulty level, it is so much easier to Rambo the levels than to stealth them. That always seems to be the case in video games. Even in Thief 2 I remember it being a lot easier to be like Rambo with the compound bow than to try and go full stealth. In DEHR the big constraint is limited ammo pickups. I LOL at the newspaper headlines reflecting the grim reaper having come to town.
hobgoblin
Yep, i ended up carrying every kind of small arm available because it seemed i only get ammo for weapons i did not opt for using...
Wounded Ronin
You know what I wish someone would do? Make a Deus Ex style game set in the present day. Let the player run around and influence the outcome of several local events. Make it realistic and believable. It would be an interesting project. It'd still be a Deus Ex game, though, meaning that you could physically do things to people or objects based on gameplay, as opposed to simply being an adventure game.
Stahlseele
Next part is in the making, and it seems as if there is going to be a movie adaption of the next part too.
Square Enix secured the naming rights to „Deus Ex: Human Defiance“
And CBS secured both deusex-humandefiance.com and deusexhumandefiancefilm.com
Wounded Ronin
I'm starting to really want a sequel from Warren Spector in which he kind of gives a ten year retrospective on the philosophical themes of the first game. The world has changed much since then and I'm curious if the original messages or underlying ideas are in any impacted or illuminated.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Mar 3 2013, 03:28 PM) *
illuminated

I see what you did there.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 3 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Next part is in the making, and it seems as if there is going to be a movie adaption of the next part too.
Square Enix secured the naming rights to „Deus Ex: Human Defiance“
And CBS secured both deusex-humandefiance.com and deusexhumandefiancefilm.com

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/deus-e...-not-next-game/
Stahlseele
you did read the line where i say that Square Enix has also secured rights to Deus Ex: Human Defiance right? O.o
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 5 2013, 08:40 AM) *
you did read the line where i say that Square Enix has also secured rights to Deus Ex: Human Defiance right? O.o

Square Enix has done movies, you know.
ShadowDragon8685
A Deus Ex film? Oh, that's gonna suck.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Mar 5 2013, 07:18 PM) *
Square Enix has done movies, you know.

no i don't.
they have?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 5 2013, 10:38 AM) *
no i don't.
they have?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173840/?ref_=sr_2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385700/?ref_=sr_1
Stahlseele
Ah, interesting.
Not a big fan of FF to be honest, these went right by me i think . .
X-Kalibur
I was mostly pointing them out because they've already made video game movies in the past. I was actually one of the people who liked Spirits Within. If you ignore the Final Fantasy part it's a decent movie and the CGI was great... I could argue most of the games they made since then have tried to be movies anyway.
KarmaInferno
Spirits Within was a decent sci fi flick with gorgeous animation. Not based on any of the games, however.

Advent Children was a sequel to FFVII and had some kick ass wahoo fight scenes, but the rest of the film is pretty forgettable.

-k
_Pax._
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 5 2013, 06:55 PM) *
Spirits Within was a decent sci fi flick with gorgeous animation. Not based on any of the games, however.

... but clearly drawing on all the usual pre-FF13 themes. And I, too, rather liked it. I wish they would make a game out of it, honestly.

Advent Children was a sequel to FFVII and had some kick ass wahoo fight scenes, but the rest of the film is pretty forgettable.

.... there was a "rest of the film" ...?? ;D
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Mar 5 2013, 10:29 PM) *
.... there was a "rest of the film" ...?? ;D

Yeah, it was pretty much all fight scenes.

smile.gif

The related Crisis Core was pretty much all fight scenes too. Technically a game, I suppose.

-k
Iduno
I'm late to the party, but I finally got and finished the game.

The game was full of interesting side information from the newcasts, radio shows, newspapers, NPC conversations, and emails. It really added a bit of depth to the setting. I also liked the shout-outs to the original game. And it wouldn't be Deus Ex without (limited) exploration and air vents. The hacking minigame was pretty entertaining, and profitable. Also, the end of the game finally sated my thirst for just becoming a cybered killing machine taking down waves of enemies with the heavy rifle.

It did bother me that the game was so linear (but the game was made by Square-Enix, so I shouldn't be surprised). At one point there were even literal lit-up arrows pointing out which way you had to go. Most of the alternate paths were so short and obvious that it ruined the illusion of having actual options. I was pretty happy about getting my pistol fully modded, and then quit finding any ammunition for it. I was hopeful for the augmentations giving you options that would make you want to replay the game, but I ended up with enough xp and praxis kits to have all of the augmentations I wanted halfway through my first playthrough. Although if you just wanted to kill some guys on the first playthrough, you would lose out on enough xp that you could replay it again to see what augs got you. I was also a bit confused by this game (the prequel) seeming like it had a higher technology level than the original. At least I don't remember lasers and electronic newspapers in the original, or the ability to convert food into bioeletric power instead of using batteries. I also missed the complexity that was added to the original by having different items you had to choose from, like rebreathers and chem suits.

Overall, it was a decent game with a lot of potential to have been more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012